Wednesday, September 26, 2007

September 26, 2007







As I took a seat and started perusing my dinner choices, I was instantly transported back, four years earlier, to my very first visit to Mexico. The smells. The sounds. The sheer bafflement of trying to make sense of menu items listed almost exclusively in Spanish. No to worry though. We had also been provided with a handy glossary to help us along. Nevertheless, after a few frustrating minutes of ping-ponging back and forth between it and the menu, I set both aside, flagged down the waiter and had him give us a thorough breakdown.

I’ve always been wary of wacky re-imaginings and fusion cuisine, and the idea of the Nuevo Latino food concept, while interesting, even admirable, wasn’t something I’d been dying to try. But Goldfish was booked and the people I was with had heard very good things about Cobre. Who was I to be the party pooper?

Well, by the time I’d received the translation on the menu items, I was past interested and well into intrigued. Duck confit papusa with caramelized shallot and mole duck jus. Roast garlic eggplant empanadas. Pork-stuffed corn flour tortillas with fig green-apple jam. We ordered seven plates between the four of us, a bottle of Prosecco, and then kicked back and checked out the pleasing, modern split-level dining area with its open kitchen, copper detailing. We were barely past our first drink when the dishes started to arrive.

First up was the local albacore tuna y pipian rojo azteca - nice, fresh meaty pieces of tuna served with chunks of creamy purple potato salad, the whole topped with a sauce of chilies, ground seeds, and nuts. A great start to our meal proceeded by an even better follow-up in the form of the duck confit papusa with caramelized shallot and mole duck jus. The duck confit, nestled within the flour tortillas, was exceptional, especially once smashed and married with the sweet mole, a sauce comprised of chile peppers, ground nuts, and Mexican chocolate. This particular dish was so well-received that we immediately requested a second order as we moved on to our third plate: papusa tatemado. According to the glossary provided, the tatemado is a spiced pork roast traditionally served at weddings and christenings in Northern Mexico. Cobre’s version is served stuffed in a handmade tortilla with a calmyma fig and green-apple jam. Three for three. The next dish, roast garlic eggplant chili pequin empanada pimiento rojo, was also good, although a little too doughy. The pork saddle al pastor traditionale and the wild board chorizo with nugget potato were both served in soft flour tortillas, delicious little two-bite creations. Finally, our last dish, the seared skirt steak peppercorn adobo with Tijuana Ceasar and chorizo hash ended our mains on a high note, although the plate could have benefited from a little more steak.

Desserts were equally accomplished. The chocolate souffle was velvety smooth, sweeter than your typical dark chocolate, complimented by hints of cinnamon from the Mexican Ibarra. It was accompanied by a much-appreciated dipping churro. The horchata custard was less intense but no less enjoyable, topped with lemon curd and whipped chevre marscapone. And finally, the house dulce de leche begs an entire review of its own but, suffice it to say, it more than impressed.

Service was terrific. Our waiter Curtis was an amiable and animated guide.

Una cena maravillosa.

Today's pics: Nuevo Latino Cuisine - Cobre style!

Today's video: Nada. Sorry.

Today's mailbag:

Susan writes: “Question: Would it behoove us fans without ratings boxes and/or living in other countries to write letters to the advertisers who support the show and tell them all about how we're going to go out and buy their product because they advertise on Atlantis?
Question 2: I don't have either of your books and thus can't join the book club this month, but I'm wondering if you'd ever read anything by Gene Wolfe?”

Answers: 1) Fire away! 2) I read (and loved) The Fifth Head of Cerberus. I have picked up the Book of the New Sun series but have yet to get around to it.

Tim writes: “which order do the books of the Culture series go in?”

Answer: They can be read as stand-alones. However, I read the first three in the order in which they were published: Consider Phlebas, The Player of Games, and Use of Weapons.

Padawan Aneiki writes: “...what about coffee? Any amazing flavors/brands you'd recommend (along with their websites)?”

Answer: I don’t drink coffee, so I’m the wrong person to ask.

Mrs. B108 writes: “1)Will any alliances shift this season? 2)Will this season be full of hard decisions and tribulations?”

Answers: Yes on both counts. Reunion, The Seer, and Miller’s Crossing come to mind.

Herbert writes: “When a problem in a sci-fi show is resolved by an ancient race who are far more technologically advanced than us and we just can't understand their thinking, isn't that fantastical thinking as well?”

Answer: Yes, however the fact that they are technologically advanced (rather than simply magical) makes it science fiction in my books. But you bring up some very good points concerning the very fine line between science fiction and fantasy. Much depends on the individual writer.

Anonymous #1 writes: “Why do you guys feel you need to be romancing everyone to make this show interesting?”

Answer: Could you offer up some examples of the “everyone” we’ll be romancing this season?

IamJohn writes: “Hey, thinking about the (hopeful) new season, how soon do you start constructing stuff for an episode after starting to write it?”

Answer: It depends on the production schedule. When we write scripts over the hiatus, they will be banked for months before we get around to prepping them. As we near the end of the season, we may get the Art Department started as early as the concept stage.

IamJohn also writes: “ Also for set pieces like the puddlejumper, do you move them to create a set, or do you constuct a needed set around it, or is it something where the picture that the viewer sees is almost always computer generated so it doesn't matter and have a ready made one that's always there?”

Answer: It depends on the set piece. In the case of the puddle jumper, we’ll use green screen when we shoot out the front of the jumper to give us a glimpse of what we are flying toward, be it space, a planet, or tree tops. If we’re shooting out the back, we may use green screen or we may have our Green Department create a forest-like backdrop. Still other times, we may take our traveling puddle jumper on location or, if we don’t need to see our characters actually boarding, have our visual effects team create the jumper.

Keirberos writes: “Hey, what were some of your numbers? Closer to Brad's or Rob's?”

Answer: Being the eternal optimist I am, my numbers were closer to Brad’s.

Anonymous #2 writes: “Since when did Dr. Lee become more important to the franchise than Jack?”

Answer: By that logic, you can ask “Since when did Chuck the technician become more important to the franchise than Jack?” or “Since when did McKay’s lab chair become more important to the franchise than Jack?” Simply put, it’s a hell of a lot less complicated to secure the lab chair for a guest appearance.

Nathan writes: “When will Stargate step into the modern era and declare one of their characters, if not openly gay then "sexually ambiguous" as to their choice of partner?”

Answer: If the opportunity presents itself, why not? But the reality is we haven’t delved much into our character’s sex lives to begin with. We found out about the woman Ronon left behind on Sateda a full year after he’d been introduced and have yet to learn anything about Teyla’s private life. Heck, it wasn’t until three years into the show that we found out Sheppard had an ex-wife.

Anonymous #3 writes: “Who's your favourite S.F. writer?”

Answer: I don’t know if I’d be comfortable naming a favorite. I can name some books I’ve enjoyed immensely: Consider Phlebas, The Player of Games (Iain M. Banks), Camp Concentration (Thomas M. Disch), Old Man’s War (John Scalzi), Lord of Light (Roger Zelazny), Armor (John Steakley), City of Pearl (Nancy Travis), The Parable of the Talents (Octavia E. Butler).

Michelle writes: “Will Rodney be in the finale, or is David off for the rest of the year in anticipation of little Hewlett 2.0?”

Answer: Rodney will be in the finale.

75 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe, four questions. 1) is Teyla going to be seen in a flashback in the Finale? 2) if not seen in a flashback what about mentioned? If you had to pair two charactres together gfrom either Stargate show who would you pair and why? 4) Are we EVER going to see the Furlings?

also since the show starts in less then 48 hours on my clock, if I were to watch from a Hotel(since i don't get Sci-Fi) would that count towards the ratings?

vvv0472 said...

Will there be any grandchildren for Teal'c in th near future?

Charles Schneider said...

If your dogs ever made a cameo in an episode, what role do you envision for them?

I recall Michael Greenburg's dog actually did have a spot in an early run episode as O'Neill's pet (maybe?). RDAs dog also had a small spot too.

Maybe Lulu could play a furling infant?

Anonymous said...

The food sounds great!

Please answer these two very short questions. 1) Have you ever been to Madonna Inn [it's a cafe] in San Luis Obispo, CA? 2) Is Stargate Continuum set after season four of Atlantis?

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I CAN'T WAIT FOR SEASON 4!!! I'm planning on getting as many people to watch it as I can, because I really want a fifth season! Lets hope everything pans out!

Vern said...

Joe,

I'd like to expand on the answer you gave to the Dr. Lee being more important than Jack question, if I may:

While Rick is obviously an important part of the franchise as a whole, securing him as a guest star is not easy. It takes days to weeks of negotiation between studio reps and actors (even those who were a regular part of a series) to secure their services, not to mention a lot of money.

That being said, Rick is quoted as saying he is "semi-retired" from acting. The only way to coax him back, even for a guest star appearance, would be to give him a script that he would feel comfortable doing. Simply saying "for old times sake," would not be enough. Add to that, Rick has an adorable daughter who he spends most of his time with to help with her schooling. In other words, he's taking time to play dear old dad and, hopefully, enjoying the time he has with his family.

With that out of the way, those food selections are definitely delicioso, Joe. I've had the fortune of having traditional Mexican food for two summers in a row, thanks to a few friends. Although I have never been to Mexico, the food is definitely worth the experience of going.

My sci-fi book collection is a little thin. I have read the classic Foundation series by Asimov, so I'm not a complete non-reader of sci-fi books. My question:

Other than your obvious selections, what authors should I pay attention to?

My regards to the dogs... I'll send birthday greetings in a few weeks :)

Anonymous said...

1.)Considering Carter was in SG-1 for ten years, will she mention Daniel, Jack, Teal'c(Well, we already know he's getting mentioned), Vala, or Mitchell this season?
2.)How did the Genii get so universally known to everyone that they were not just farmers after the first season?
3.)Will Carter get to slap or punch McKay this season?
4.)Will Beckett's return be serious, or will it have funny points to it?

Iris said...

"...eaiser to secure the lab chair for a guest appearance". Lol, that was a good one.

I love whenever Jack is on (he's my fave character), but simply because he is not in an episode, or season, does not mean he is not important to the franchise!!! That being said, how about O'neill in McKay's lab chair? That wouldu surely boost ratings!

I have one quesiton today, ever read Orson Scott Card's "Treason"? I just started it (about 30 some pages in) and it is qute a bit different from either "Ender's Game" or "Speaker for the Dead".

Thanks,

Royal

Anonymous said...

Do you know if they will be showing season 4 in HD on Universal HD (UHD) concurrent with the scifi broadcast?

Anonymous said...

Ah, your snippet on the Iranian "dictator" as he was introduced much to his displeasure was priceless. LMAO.

Quick question/comment, and feel free to omit it from the comments if it may give away any future plotline etc. I wouldn't know I'm a year behind here.

With SGA is there a reason that the military characters after four years haven't thought to use explosive tipped bullets when shooting Wraith? Unless Wraith can regenerate missing half their brain, hey - this is the first strategy a solider would change, especially considering the design of military bullets.

I can understand that initially being able to kill a Wraith quickly with only one or two bullets may have effected the ability to build suspense within the script but the Wraith's ability to regenerate is well established and therefore that ability to build suspense in that area has changed. It would be nice to see Earth use a little more good war military strategy. But then again, that comes from an Aussie perspective and we're cheeky buggers - even if we couldn't win we'd be doing whatever we could just to piss the enemy off.

*Did I say that?* :P

Promogirl said...

I'm curious about the McKay/Carter dynamic this season. Several times McKay has reluctantly admitted to Sam how impressed he is with her. Yet Carter is usually more careful with her compliments to him. Will we see Sam giving Rodney some new found respect this season?

And I'll have you know I'm upgrading my cable package to HD just for the Atlantis premiere... :-)

brains103 said...

I completely agree with Shawna. For one, there are plenty of shows that emphasize those kinds of things, like she said. Stargate is a science fiction show, and I've been glad that there hasn't been a lot of focus on a character's sex life. Second, there are many young fans, who maybe shouldn't be exposed to some of it yet. Third, it's a controversial issue today. Some things are better left alone.

Anonymous said...

Great blog again Joe. And while I'm sure we all (most of us, at least) appreciate that getting RDA to guest is not the easiest thing in the world, it doesn't mean we all love it any less when it happens. Please bring Jack over for a few appearances in season five. He is the franchise.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe, as always thanks for the pictures and video.

The food looks and sounds good. Oh to have money and free time to lunch like an exec producer.

Meantime, please let darling Mr F. (sorry, watched Sense & Sensibility last night) know that his fans @ JoeflaniganOnline are thinking of him. I mean, if this is the only negative publicity an actor can generate *shakes head*. He could teach a few others a thing or two.

Take Care

Anonymous said...

If I every make it up to Vancouver, you are so taking me out to eat!! You could also take me to tour the Stargate set. I don't demand much. Oh, I could also play Carter and O'Neill's daughter...really whatever. If you need me, just post a picture of you holding a sign that says, "Katie please come to Vancouver." We will workout how I get there with your credit card then.

:D Katie

Anonymous said...

Answer: I don’t drink coffee, so I’m the wrong person to ask.

Wow...I am surprised to meet another adult who doesn't like coffee! I thought I was alone. If it tasted like it smelled while being brewed, I would probably be an addict...but I can't get over the bitter aftertaste. I do like mocha flavored things...probably because of the chocolate though. I AM a chocolate addict. Do they have Chocoholics Anonymous? ;-P

I agree with the comments about the gay character. Every show seems to have one now and it's so ubiquitous and trite to have a TV show gay character...just to have one. I loved Will and Grace and have no problem with gay characters. When there has to be one on every show...it starts to feel like some kind of brainwashing agenda. Hello big brother!

Anonymous said...

Since you asked, season 4 will have the following "relationships" (per your responses and words coming straight from the actors themselves):

McKay/Katie Brown (everyone)
Keller/Ronon (per Jewel)
Teyla/Unnamed (its a "real" pregnancy, someone close to her people. (per RL)
Shep jealous of Teyla's situation (per JF).
Shep/Larrin (oh so hot, per Mr. JF)
Sam is VERY lonely (AT)

Yep. Think that's everyone in the credits. Did you guys know that most complaints about teasers and spoilers is the tendency towards soap opera? Not a good sign Joe. Not good at all.

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe,

First and foremost I would like to thank you for leading us all into season 4 and taking the time to treat us all to what is in store for this year. I can't wait to see it!

But as far as questions go, I'm an avid book reader (more sci-fi than fantasy) and I own almost all of the Stargate books. Are these books considered to be canon within the Stargate universe? If not, why not?

Victoria said...

Your blog makes me drool.

By the by, have you ever read "The Wayfarer Redemption" by Sara Douglass?

Anonymous said...

If that's the only Dean Koontz book you've read, than I highly suggest you read Door to December.

suse said...

" Promogirl said...

I'm curious about the McKay/Carter dynamic this season. Several times McKay has reluctantly admitted to Sam how impressed he is with her. Yet Carter is usually more careful with her compliments to him. Will we see Sam giving Rodney some new found respect this season?"

All that would do is swell his already big head. She needed his expertise to get the bridge up and running. See how he preened when that bit came out? She says thank you when he contributes. I seem to remember her saying something on SG-1 in his second ep... No idea what though. It's been a while.

suse

Anonymous said...

Would you ever consider just writing an episode where some sci-fi plot device turns all the characters gay, and then of course it gets reversed and everything goes back to the status quo at the end?

Jen K said...

Joe-

Paul McGillion has confirmed he has auditioned for Scotty in JJ Abrams Trek movie. Chris Doohan has also officially stated his support for Paul and wants him cast and to follow in his fathers footsteps. You better snap him back fast before you/we lose him again!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Quote Anonymous
Sam is VERY lonely (AT)

Well wouldn't you feel lonely if you'd be separated from you hubby by several millions of light-years? :D

Hi Joe,
Since Vala and Teyla both had babies
do you think will ever see Sam pregnant?

Anonymous said...

OK Joe, let me stop you right there and explain to you that, that was in no shape or form a Pupusa.
I may not know much about a lot of things sir but I know I pupusa when I see one, I am very glad your dinner was great but that was more an enchilada with duck and shallots as toppings which is all fine and well and apparently delicious.
Just wanted to let you know and if any mexican restaurant tries to sell you an enchilada for a pupusa tell them to go to El Salvador where this particular dish was invented (or anywhere in Central America) to get the original recipe to later tweak on.

Buen Provecho!

Oh and by reading your blog I finally got an answer to the question I posted before which was:
Do you speak spanish.
Guess not much need for spanish in Canada.
Ni modo.

Val Hutchins said...

What shows are considered competition against Atlantis in its time slot? The only other show I know of then is Numb3ers.

crazymom said...

the reality is we haven’t delved much into our character’s sex lives to begin with.

And I appreciate that so much! That's just not what the show is about.

Anonymous said...

Kdvb1 said: I agree with the comments about the gay character. Every show seems to have one now and it's so ubiquitous and trite to have a TV show gay character...just to have one. I loved Will and Grace and have no problem with gay characters. When there has to be one on every show...it starts to feel like some kind of brainwashing agenda.

Um, are you kidding me with this? "Every" show seems to have one? That's real interesting considering how many shows there are on TV and how very heteronormative most of those shows are. Shows that do include at least one gay character rarely make him as fully developed, realistic, or non-stereotyped as they do for the straight characters. Will and Grace isn't exactly a model example of how to handle gay characters. Personally I'm not sure I'd trust Stargate to handle a gay character right anyway and I'd agree that it shouldn't be done just for the sake of having one. But it's not like a big deal has to be made out of that character's sexuality just because he's gay. A passing mention would be more than enough to establish him but not make it all about the fact that he's gay. It doesn't have to be some kind of "very special episode" situation. The brainwashing comment is extremely uncalled for in my opinion as well.

Anonymous said...

The romancing comment? Let's see:

Shep/Larin, since Joe's described her as a 'hot new love interest'

Teyla/mystery man since Rachel's said that her new crush is someone we haven't seen on screen

Keller/Ronon, since Jewel's said that Keller has a crush on Ronon

Sam/Jack, since you know you'll have to because the rabid frigging Sam/Jack fans won't let you hear the end of it if you don't

Rodney/Katie.. you've already confirmed that's happening.

The one that's missing, which would be wonderful to see (though I don't like full blown romance on a scifi show, it's not a soap, for crying out loud) is Shep/Weir. FRIENDSHIP.. with the hint of something more, not "Oh my God, you are the love of my life, etc etc"

But since she's gone and everything....

Anonymous said...

Oh, absolutely on the list of 'ships'. Blah. Awful.

And really, the fact that Joe describes a character (who hopefully won't be around long, because she looks to have slutty, Vala tendencies) as "A sexy new love interest" or whatever he said kind of kills it for me.

Have you people learned nothing? People don't want bed-hopping Atlantis team members. If they wanted sex, kirking and the like, they'd be watching BSG, and wouldn't even LOOK at SGA.

Anonymous said...

Well, the lab chair does provide essential support...


(sorry, couldn't resist)

Unknown said...

Hey Joe,

So if you're not a coffee drinker (I'm not either) can I assume you drink tea? Any opinions on flavors and brands?

My two favorites are Darjeeling and Lady Grey, followed closely by English and Irish Breakfast. Trying to build a like for green tea...but its an up hill battle. As for brands....Twinnings is cool....but basicaly any loose organic tea is my preference.

Cheers Joe. Looking forward to Season 4 with baited breathe!

Unknown said...

"Harmony" has some Genii mercenaries in it, but will we in season 4 see any episodes featuring Ladon Radim and the Genii establishment? Or will we have to wait for the Sheppard Stick Fighting ep in S5?

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe

Good luck with the premieres tomorrow (Friday). I hope all goes well and that you get the viewing figures needed to guarantee a fifth season after the first episode! Can't add to them, I'm afraid, from the UK, but look forward to hearing about the show once it has aired.

Pam

Anonymous said...

Hello,

If there is a season 5, can we still hope to see Elizabeth Weir in it?

I fear that, like Ford, we won't see her again ;(

thank you

Anonymous said...

If it is the real Carson coming back in season 4 is his family ever going to find out he is still alive? Will you be dealing with that part of the story? I think Carson would miss his mum to much if he was alive and not able to tell her.

Anonymous said...

1)Will any questionable behavior/judgement be made by the crew this year?

2)Do any of the crew sustain permanent scars this season? (Literal or metaphorical)

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe!

In how many episodes is Brenda James(Katie Brown)going to appear?

Thx!

Anonymous said...

I think any romance slated for this season, in combination with the darkness and chaos to come, will prove an edgy, dramatic, and exciting mix and I for one am glad if the writers have decided to go ahead and further the characters in terms of depth and personal lives.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous #2 writes: “Since when did Dr. Lee become more important to the franchise than Jack?”

Answer: By that logic, you can ask “Since when did Chuck the technician become more important to the franchise than Jack?” or “Since when did McKay’s lab chair become more important to the franchise than Jack?” Simply put, it’s a hell of a lot less complicated to secure the lab chair for a guest appearance.


So did you try to get Rick to appear in S4?

Anonymous said...

Any Alternate Universe/ alternate timeline episodes this season?

Johnny E! said...

Hey Joe,

If you could create an alternate dimention you, what would you be like. I would be a green lantern, no doubt. When are we going to see you make an shameless promo like Brad or Martin? You are just as important, and should get some face time too!

Anonymous said...

Just read an interview on SyFyPortal with Amanda Tapping, who enjoyed season 4, but wasn't exactly happy with Carter not using her P-90 and going off-world. Amanda says Carter just sorta "sees everyone else go off".

Uh, that's what Weir did. Why did we replace Weir again?

Anonymous said...

Ben said... "Shows that do include at least one gay character rarely make him as fully developed, realistic, or non-stereotyped as they do for the straight characters. Will and Grace isn't exactly a model example of how to handle gay characters. Personally I'm not sure I'd trust Stargate to handle a gay character right anyway and I'd agree that it shouldn't be done just for the sake of having one."

That's exactly my point! ;-) So many shows just stick the "gay character" in for no reason. It's just so they can say, "look at us, we are politically correct". Then they do nothing with the character at all. It's like the character's whole reason for being there is just to be the token gay. It's insulting to everyone to treat the subject that way.(and makes it seem like a Hollywood agenda, rather than something meaningful to the story) They are not an integral character that happens to be gay. I know they are putting a gay couple on Desperate Housewives, which seems interesting, I just hope they do it right.

I know Will and Grace was stereotypical...but I really enjoyed it. They always made me laugh my gluteus maximus off! LOL
I didn't think Will was too stereotypical at the beginning of the series...towards the end though, he was becoming a bit too much like Jack (who I thought was hilarious!). They seem to do that on some shows...as they get into the show they really emphasize the characters quirky behaviors to the point of making them a caricature of the original. They did that on Seinfeld and Friends at times.
Sorry if I offended anyone, but I don't like token characters. I wouldn't like it if suddenly it was politically correct to have a religious figure on every show or a Native American(I am part Cherokee)...just to have one. ;-)

Anonymous said...

All that would do is swell his already big head.
Maybe, maybe not. Rodney is hardly a self-confident character under the surface and I think he could (and should!) be getting more recognition. I understand that it's not always easy with Rodney's... uh, personality, but a few "thank you for saving our asses, again" or "good job, Rodney" once in a while shouldn't be too much to ask. (And why yes, I'm especially looking at Sheppard, here.)

In Return, I loved Elizabeth's heartfelt "Rodney, amazing!" after his shield/ARG rig worked, and then of course Rodney's "Well, it was a group effort." Much love. ♥

Questions to Joe:

1.) Any nice McKay/Carter moments in S4, any specific episodes to look forward to? I may be McKay/Sheppard shipper to the bitter end (and beyond), but it's impossible not to have soft spot for those two. :3 (I totally loved the SG-1 episode The Road Not Taken.)

2.) Will the guys ever get themselves another Ancient warship? Preferably Aurora-class... since Orion was such a cool ship. ;__;

I, for one, appreciate the lack of details about the characters' sex lives.
Oh, you're so not the only one.

Although.. truth to be told, I'm still waiting for that McKay/Sheppard kiss. *nodnod* In all fairness, you know. (He's kissed Weir and Teyla already, dude!).

Anonymous said...

Ahh, leave it to my luck to get sick right before the Season 4 opener. Murphy strikes again! I'll have the volume turned up on the TV to hear dialogue above the incessant, ever-annoying cough.

Just a thought; there should be another SGA soundtrack CD. Goldsmith's fantabulous. :)

Anonymous said...

For all Terry Pratchett fans, the Library of Congress is hosting its annual book festival on The National Mall, in Washington DC, September 29. Pratchett is scheduled to appear along with 69 other authors. For more info, check out www.loc.gov/bookfest. I realize that many SGA fans will be busy discussing the previous night's premiere of "Adrift," but if you need a break and live in the DC area or are visiting there.... And it's free.

Anonymous said...

I understand that it's not always easy with Rodney's... uh, personality, but a few "thank you for saving our asses, again" or "good job, Rodney" once in a while shouldn't be too much to ask. (And why yes, I'm especially looking at Sheppard, here.)

The problem is that every time they HAVE said thank you on screen Rodney starts acting more obnixous. So why would they WANT to keep having to deal with it?

Plus he's not a child, he doesn't need a pat on the head and a "thank you" for every single event. Especially when he is NOT the only one saving their lives. They all usually have a hand in it, in one way or another.

Anonymous said...

hey, your blog is usualy the first thing I check each day, it is entertaining in many ways and i thank you for it. Also, it's my birthday today.

crazymom said...

Just once more, and I promise not to whine about it anymore...I will be enviously thinking of you lucky ones tomorrow night watching the gang back in action, while I am stuck answering the phone and writing reports, listening to the police radio instead of Rodney, John, and the gang. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for no overtime so I can get home in time to see the second showing on SciFi!

♥ANAIS♥ said...

Salut Joseph! =)

Miamiame les photos^^!
Vous parlez bien espagnol^^!

Je vais faire court aujourd'hui, car je suis malade, j'ai de la fi�vre,j'ai eu une journ�e tr�s longue, en plus toute les m�dicaments que je prend me font hallucine..j'ai l'impr�ssion d'�tre dans le monde mickey lol!

Bon bah passez une bonne journ�e, couvrez vous bien(car �tre malade c'est pas super)Je vous fait d'anorme Bisou bisou!! je vous aime tr�s fort! a demain! <3<3<3<3Merci

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,

The Madonna Inn is a little more than "a cafe"

It actually has a full restaurant and some very unique hotel rooms and bathrooms.

(born and raised in San Luis)

Michelle said...

That's exactly my point! ;-) So many shows just stick the "gay character" in for no reason. It's just so they can say, "look at us, we are politically correct". Then they do nothing with the character at all.

Are you speaking for the gay community there? A recent study reveals a decrease in gay characters on network shows. It's not about being politically correct. It's about reflecting and representing society and your audience. Nothing has to be made of them being gay, just like nothing was made of Uhura being black in Star Trek.

I find it very sad that in 2007 people still find it trite or "controversial" or bad for the kiddies, or that it's only okay if gay characters are there for laughs.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said: "Hi Joe, Since Vala and Teyla both had babies
do you think will ever see Sam pregnant?"

Joe can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the only way we'll see Sam pregnant is if AT is herself pregnant, and the pregnancy is obvious during the taping of the shows. I think that's the only reason why Vala and Teyla had babies -- because the actresses themselves were pregnant. That being said, I think it would be great if Sam was pregnant with Jack's twin babies, whether or not AT was herself pregnant ;-)

Anonymous said...

Wanted to wish you good luck for Friday's premiere and hopes of renewal.

I've really enjoyed your snippets (and sometimes snippy!) comments about SGA - such insider details are fascinating.

I hope you can find more video to tease us with, I've really gotten a kick out of seeing them.

Again, good luck and thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,

Gateworld's Anti-season 10 mafia strikes again with a total bullshit and lie that Vala brings no value to the team. I'd like to ask you for a very detailed explanation to these morons how much value she brings to the team. Thank you in advance :)

Anonymous said...

I don't like BSG because for me its too soapy, most of the time is "who is sleeping with starbuck"
And we don't have such things in SGA, I don't like to see a Melrose Gate. I used to think that was only me, but here i read posts from people who thinks in a similar way.Keep SGA this way.
hola joe que bueno que te gusto tu cena, te mandamos saludos desde México.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous #1 writes: “Why do you guys feel you need to be romancing everyone to make this show interesting?”

Joe's Answer: Could you offer up some examples of the “everyone” we’ll be romancing this season?"

My goodness Joe can you please give the fans a little more credit than this. (1) there's Teyla and whatever comes with the baby baggage including a "love interest" that several involved in the show have now mentioned, (2) there's Keller and her surprising romances,which JS just mentioned in her most recent interview (including one that is NOT a guest star - oh for God's sake I hope it's not Ronan because as of now he's pretty much the only one of the 5 main characters, those on the ads, etc., NOT on this list but if it is Ronan then all hope is lost), (3) there's Shep and his ex-wife, if that is written even half as poorly as the Pete/Carter fiasco look out and last but not least (4) there's McKay and his lady. As added bonuses, based on history and on commentary, I have no doubt we'll see plenty of that glorious crap between Carter and McKay which will be an honorary No. 4 1/2 -- please keep THAT Carter/McKay nonsense to a minimum especially since Carter is now a full-bird Colonel - she took enough knocks since season 7 - she doesn't need anymore nonesense, show the character the respect she deserves and didn't get in Seasons 9-10.

Let's see - that's 4 1/2 (if you count the McKay/Carter junk we'll get since that won't be outright "romance" just puerile banter) out of 5 main characters that have been confirmed to have some sort of "romance" written into their season (and as I said all hope will be lost if 5 turns out to be that you hook Ronan up with Keller).

Please feel free to counter and deny that these things will happen at all (my preference is never to see any of this kind of crap on Stargate because based of the hatchet job done with Carter and Pete, Jack and Kerry, Daniel and Vala, you guys simply cannot write romance (in early years you did ok with Teal'c and his wife and with Daniel and Sha're but since then - OMG it's been horible, somewhere someone took a wide left-turn off the main highway when it comes to writing "romance", every time I think of the Pete/Carter Jack/Kerry quadrangle it makes me sick it was so badly done. Let the soaps handle the chessy romance you guys ought to stick to sci-fi.

Anonymous said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Joe, can you swear (in blood if necessary) that Sam will NEVER be pregnant with Jack's twin babies? Can you promise me that you have both feet planted firmly on the ground? You would seriously have to be 3 fries short to write something like that. You're not 3 fries short are you Joe? Please tell me that all fries are intact and that you would NEVER consider this as an arc for season 5? Seriously Joe. You wouldn't would You?

ptarmigan said...

Hello Joe, I just wanted to comment on one of the photos from a couple of days ago. (Yep. I'm playing catch-up. Would love to blame the computer, but...)

Anyways I just LOVED the pic of King Bubba perched on the back of the couch. Did he make you sit on the dogie bed for the time being?

*grins at mental image of Joe sitting cross-legged on dogie bed w/ head in hand & looking up at Bubba*

All the best!

Anonymous said...

*sigh* Now that you've been to Cobre, you'll be too spoiled for typical Tex-Mex dishes: cheese enchiladas, refried or borracho beans, seasoned rice...

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe! Haven't commented before, but with SciFi Friday almost here, I'm bursting. Had to stop by and let you know that as far as I'm concerned every single thing I've heard about the upcoming season sounds great. I'm excited, intrigued, and cannot wait to see the season premiere tomorrow night.

I will miss Weir, because I really like the character, but I also think it will be fun to see how the new character dynamics play out. And. Just. YAY.

Stargate Atlantis is family TV night around here, and we'll be parked in the living room with bells! (Well. Figuratively. :)

Thanks!

Unknown said...

*waves*

You know Mr M, twice in two days you've rendered me speechless. Maybe you should do that more often, lol. I'm sure a few people would be pleased. :P I'm overloaded with squee and am about to burst a blood vessel with anticipation and excitement. Only 1 more sleep. :D

Block your ears Joe, it's an even bigger one than yesterday. :lol:

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You'd think i'd have calmed down by now, wouldn't you? Oh no, even more promos have been shown, and there was whump, and chest peekage and OMG, I feel like i'm about to burst again. So please pass on my heartfelt thanks to all involved, you've all done a fantastic job this year on adverts and promo's. And I wish you and everyone all the best for tomorrow!

If season 5 is not in the bag after this, then something is seriously wrong. But, i'm so not going there, because i'm positive about Season 5, and in my heart it's a dead cert!! Even if i'm wrong, please don't burst my happy bubble. :D

Didn't I say I was speechless? ;)

*hugs and fingers and toes crossed*

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe!

Er... Seen some new promo style vids with new clips in them. Am speechless and incoherent. Lots of DG and Travelers... Er, I love you? LOL!

Sorry, that's the best I can come up with right now. I will not squee on this blog. SQ........*runs away*

Michelle said...

Regarding the romance fears, all the interviews I've read refer to "moments" or flirting or other subtext about how the actor sees a relationship. That doesn't mean it's going to be in-your-face or even obvious on screen.

After all, Chris Judge said he played Teal'c as being in love with Janet, but it was very subtle or invisible unless you looked for it really hard, IMO.

Anyway, I'm not worried. Just counting the hours now. :)

Will you tell us the preliminary ratings early next week, Joe?

Anonymous said...

Would you ever consider just writing an episode where some sci-fi plot device turns all the characters gay, and then of course it gets reversed and everything goes back to the status quo at the end?

I LOVE this idea - especially if they only discover that it's happened at the end of the episode and nothing has noticably changed about them in the meantime. A nice little snub to homophobia without it being an awkward and self-concious Made For TV Big Deal.

Though I would pay large sums of money to see the US military in the gateroom with feather boas singing along to "It's Raining Men" while glitter falls from the ceiling. Just saying.

Anonymous said...

The problem is that every time they HAVE said thank you on screen Rodney starts acting more obnixous.
Can you tell me the episodes and scenes where that has happened? I'm curious, since I can't really recall them at the moment.

Anyway, as I already said, in Return II for example Elizabeth's (sincere) compliment wasn't met with any kind obnoxiousness from Rodney, in fact, it was the exact opposite.

No, he's not a child and I didn't say he should be thanked about every single thing. I said that in my opinion, he could be getting more recognition and respect from people than he gets at the moment. I do believe it might help with the whole obnoxious thing.

Kellie said...

I converted my uncle into an Atlantis fan. He's in a low-security penitentiary right now and will try get the other inmates to watch with him. It's a shame their viewership probably won't be counted.

Anonymous said...

Can you tell me the episodes and scenes where that has happened? I'm curious, since I can't really recall them at the moment.

Okay to be fair it happened more often during the first season. Third season not so much but there were definitly some egosatistical moments from him where adding to it would have only made things worse.

Anyway, as I already said, in Return II for example Elizabeth's (sincere) compliment wasn't met with any kind obnoxiousness from Rodney, in fact, it was the exact opposite.

Fair enough, but you're talking about the one person who WOULD complament Rodney like that where he wouldn't become obnoxious - he respects her opinon too much to do so.

No, he's not a child and I didn't say he should be thanked about every single thing. I said that in my opinion, he could be getting more recognition and respect from people than he gets at the moment. I do believe it might help with the whole obnoxious thing.

Trouble is we have different ideas of how much more recongnition he should have. Especially since you're talking about GUYS who don't usually go around thowing out complaments for every action. Not to mention I'm sure they think they're rolls in saving the day were just as important as Rodney's.

Anonymous said...

Uhm Michelle......

Are you sure you have that right? Teryl has always said that she and Michael played a very subtle relationship between Janet and Daniel. Teryl has never mentioned Chris. She has, however, repeatedly mentioned her and Michael, and usually it takes two.

Anonymous said...

I find it very sad that in 2007 people still find it trite or "controversial" or bad for the kiddies, or that it's only okay if gay characters are there for laughs.

I've found that gay issues are still controversial. I recently saw a news article dealing with a gay issue. Other people differ, I know, but it's my opinion.

Michelle said...

To the person who asked about Teal'c and Janet... yes, Chris has said at several conventions that he played Teal'c as in love with Janet. That doesn't mean the writers wrote for it nor that Teryl and Micheal didn't play something else. It was just his choice. See for example this con report which includes:

During the time loops of 4.06 "Window of Opportunity", he [Chris] thinks Teal'c visited Janet Fraiser's quarters many, many times.

He's said it other places. I will have to look around.

Anonymous said...

Michelle....

That's o.k. You don't have to look around for more reports, I believe you. It sounds like something that Chris did on his own without Teryl even being aware. I will have to say that I am soooo glad that the writers didn't write it. I loved Daniel and Janet and am really glad that Teryl and Michael chose to play it with very subtle hints.

Joe....

Speaking of Daniel/Janet ship - In Teryl's Eureka episode, her deceased husband's name was DANIEL and she was going to go thru a gateway to heaven (it looked just like a stargate) to spend eternity with him. It was definitely a homage to the episode Meridian. Are your ear-plugs ready Joe? Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

P.S. I would also like to add that there were homages to Stargate in Michael's episode too. When Michael's character said the words Babylon and Atlantis I realized just how much I miss Daniel. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

Third season not so much but there were definitly some egosatistical moments from him where adding to it would have only made things worse.
I still don't remember instances where it would have made the matter worse.

Fair enough, but you're talking about the one person who WOULD complament Rodney like that where he wouldn't become obnoxious - he respects her opinon too much to do so.
What about Ronon in episode Sateda? His thanks was met with a handwave and "It was nothing," from Rodney. So it's hardly just Elizabeth.

Especially since you're talking about GUYS who don't usually go around thowing out complaments for every action.
This discussion started from Carter, but I did mentioned Sheppard specifically because he's the one who seems to least acknowledge Rodney, and is often the meanest to him.

Not to mention I'm sure they think they're rolls in saving the day were just as important as Rodney's.
I'm not saying Rodney is better than them but you have to admit that he has often been the one who saved the day at the end.

Yet, he is constantly put down and ridiculed in the show. I understand TBTP want laughs out of his character, but enough is enough. There is a point where it's not so funny anymore.

People expect things from him and demand the near impossible and yet rarely give anything positive back. I'm sorry, but I don't think that's right. Or that compared to the way he is treated by everyone, a little recognition once in a while would be too much to ask.

Also, Rodney's big ego = his self-appraising comments. Of course he's saying those things himself when there isn't anyone else who's ever saying them.

Trouble is we have different ideas of how much more recongnition he should have.
Yeah, we have. I think we just have to agree to disagree on this matter.

Anonymous said...

Who is the old man with white hairs?
Is that Roodney after Wraith Attack?


Greatings from German fans!