Thursday, September 27, 2007

September 27, 2007








I got out of the driver’s side and pressed the button on my key, releasing the trunk and causing it to spring up as I rounded my parking spot and reached inside for my briefcase. Crap. I suddenly remembered I’d brought Lulu to work with me. Better to take her out for a little walk first. I started toward the passenger side and then, suddenly remembering the trunk, turned back to shut it - not realizing I had inadvertently hit the remote so that in the instant I swung around, the side of my head met the corner of the descending trunk door with a skull-thrumming crack that almost dropped me to my knees. I sprang back unsteadily, dazed, left ear numb and ringing. It took me a few seconds to gather myself. Well, I wasn’t unconscious. That was a good sign. I shook it off, gathered Lulu from the passenger seat, and took her for a stroll along the green area by Stage 1. As we walked, I said hi to a passerby. He said hi back and threw me a curious look. And that’s when I felt the burning sensation just over my left temple. I reached up to test the no-doubt bruised area and my fingers came away bloody. Great. A perfect start to the day.

I headed upstairs and stepped into the production offices where Martin Wood and Alex Pappas broke off their conversation to throw me a look. “I’m going to call first aid,”Alex advised me as I handed Lulu off and stepped into the bathroom to inspect the damage. A fair amount of blood and nasty cut but, thankfully according to first aid, no need for stitches. The wound was tended to and then dressed with a big-ass bandage that will, no doubt, tear my hair out at the roots whenever I choose to remove it (Unless, according to our office assistant Lawren, I apply olive oil to the area first. I threw him a dubious look. Yep, what you want to do is make sure you cover the entire area, that’s your head and hair, in copious amounts of olive oil or Newman’s Own brand Ranch Dressing. Of course it has to be Ranch. French or Italian won’t do…). Not a big deal except that it turns out today is crew photo day. Great. I’ll either go with the profile or, better yet, make use of a strategically-placed French Bulldog…upside my head.

Well, with Hogfather and Excession out of the way, I blazed through John Steakley’s Armor (a fantastic book that makes my Top 10 Reads) and have switched back to Martin’s A Feast of Crows and that collection of short stories by Lester del Rey. In the meantime, keep those Joe’s Book Club comments coming. Also, I’ve narrowed down the field for next month’s selections. I’m thinking either William C. Dietz’s Legion of the Damned or Niven and Pournelle’s The Legacy of Heorot as the scifi book, and Donaldson’s Lord Foul’s Bane or China Melville’s Perdido Street Station in the fantasy category. Thoughts? Votes?

P.S. Paula, you won the unofficial Last Man vial of sand! Include your email in your next comment.

Today’s pics: a lonely guy waiting for his photo op, Lulu razzes the camera, Say "Cheeeeese!", Carl and his new writing partner, Attack of the Frenchie (snapping Lulu's terrifying mid-yawn)!, Linda-Lisa and Beverly drop by for their chocolate fix, bark softly and carry a big stick.

Today’s video: Click on the date to catch some of the late arrivals for the crew photo.

Today’s mailbag -

Anonymous #1 writes: “Since you asked, season 4 will have the following "relationships" (per your responses and words coming straight from the actors themselves):
McKay/Katie Brown (everyone)
Keller/Ronon (per Jewel)
Teyla/Unnamed (its a "real" pregnancy, someone close to her people. (per RL)
Shep jealous of Teyla's situation (per JF).
Shep/Larrin (oh so hot, per Mr. JF)
Sam is VERY lonely (AT)”

Answer: “Sam is VERY lonely”? Seriously? In your mind that counts as a romantic storyline? What about Zelenka is VERY lonely? Or Chuck the technician is very, VERY lonely? Would those count as romantic storylines as well? As for the rest - with the exception of the McKay-Katie Brown relationship which we established in season 2 - when you get around to actually watching season 4, you may well find yourself quoting The Prince Bride’s Inigo Montoya with regard to all of the expected “romance“: “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

Jen Kirk writes: “Paul McGillion has confirmed he has auditioned for Scotty in JJ Abrams Trek movie. Chris Doohan has also officially stated his support for Paul and wants him cast and to follow in his fathers footsteps.”

Answer: I wish Paul (who phoned me last week to gloat about his Dallas Cowboys and pass along his condolences on my underperforming Raiders) the best of his luck with regard to the Star Trek movie. I think he would make a terrific Scotty.

John writes: “So if you're not a coffee drinker (I'm not either) can I assume you drink tea? Any opinions on flavors and brands?”

Answer: Green. Matcha. One cup in the morning and another cup before dinner.

Ptarmigan writes: “I just LOVED the pic of King Bubba perched on the back of the couch.”

Answer: Actually, that’s Jelly. She likes to lord it over the other dogs.

Kellie writes: "I converted my uncle into an Atlantis fan. He's in a low-security penitentiary right now and will try get the other inmates to watch with him. It's a shame their viewership probably won't be counted."

Answer: That IS a shame. The show always seems to perform very well with women aged 31-33.5, leprechauns, and inmates. I wonder why that is. P.S. - Did you get my email?

98 comments:

Hasan said...

Definitely go for The Legacy of Heorot! Simply amazing, though not exactly the first Niven book you wanna read.

Jenny Robin said...

Ha!

Ha ha ha, I say.

I don't know why I'm saying it, but ha ha!

So there.

Unknown said...

I love that dog.

Joe my husband wants to know if you are a red sox fan? Apparently is very important to him that you are, he says if you are a yankee fan he will feel forced to stop watching the show, but if you are a blue jay's fan he can live with that.

Pauline said...

William C. Dietz’s Legion of the Damned gets my vote for the next Sci-fi book.

Your poor head, scalp lacerations are renowned for bleeding excessively, if you’re sure you weren’t KO’d and remember everything that happened to you from point of impact and haven’t had retrograde amnesia that is you remember breakfast as well, you should be okay.
But be aware of what to look out for with a head injury which is nausea, visual disturbances (double vision i.e. two Lulu’s) and not responding to painful stimuli eg when you fall asleep and some one removes your credit cards and you don’t wake up.
Are you up to date with your tetanus? Sorry about that I used to be Accident and Emergency nurse and old habits die hard.
Question- Does Carl Binder have a blog?
Good luck for tomorrow we have to wait until 9th October for the premier.

Enjoy! Best wishes Pauline

Anonymous said...

This is a quote from one of Jewel's interviews:

"I've had a yummy moment with someone yummy ... but not necessarily a guest star!" Staite teased. "She actually has a couple [of romantic interests]. She's a bit of a flirt!..."

Make me puke. Carson obviously wasn't slutty enough for you guys. You had to get a little girl in to flirt with anything in pants.

So who are you hooking her up with? Ronon or Shep? Either way, people will be furious.

morjana said...

Yikes, Joe, I'm glad you're okay!

I hear dark chocolate is good for head wounds.

We're counting down by hours now until the season premiere. We've stocked the kitchen with snacks, fluffed the cushions on the recliners, so we're ready to watch the 10pm premiere and then watch the repeat at Midnight.

Thank you so much for all the lovely photos and delightful video clip, and for EVERYONE'S hard work on season four!

Best wishes, Morjana

majorsal said...

hi, joe,

one more day till atlantis premiers!! :D


comments:

1- lulu looks VERY scary in her i'll-eat-her-hand-and-then-her-spleen photo! :o

2- sorry about the boo-boo on your cranium.

3- i'm glad ship is included in both stargates. it's human nature to feel the interest.




sally :D

ps - it would sure be sweet to see a photo of amanda holding lulu. unless she's still craving hands and spleens that is.

Franklin said...

That is quite a big stick for a little dog - they make girls tough in Canada!?

Anonymous said...

Yesterday Michelle said... "Are you speaking for the gay community there? A recent study reveals a decrease in gay characters on network shows. It's not about being politically correct. It's about reflecting and representing society and your audience.

I find it very sad that in 2007 people still find it trite or "controversial" or bad for the kiddies, or that it's only okay if gay characters are there for laughs."

As I am not gay I don't think I would be considered to represent the gay community. I never said I represent any community...just my own opinion. That's all these are here folks...not facts...just opinions. Sometimes just musings.

I read the study you linked to and it said the network shows are down by 2 and the cable shows are up by 15 gay/bi characters. That means there are 13 more on shows this year than last. I'm not saying that is a lot more...but it IS more.
Here's a nice reference to look for gay/bi TV...seems there are shows on all day that fulfill someone's idea of gay/bi TV:
http://www.queery.com/tvgayguide/

The only other comments I said that you refer to are the "politically correct" and "trite" comments. The rest were said by others and I NEVER said I think gays are there only for laughs! I do think there is a politically correct agenda going on...with many different issues on TV today...I stand by my opinion on that. I used the word trite as in the definition: boring from much use : not fresh or original. I think it is trite to put in a character JUST to give a nod to political correctness...not for any other reason.

BTW no one else has to agree with me...I think different opinions are a wonderful thing! :-)

Anonymous said...

After reading Jewel Staite's new interview, I'm glad Keller's only in 8 episodes. Please have her in NO episodes next season.

Anonymous said...

I know we're not supposed to look at the season 4 clips out there...but I did and "WOW!" I don't know how...but I'm even MORE excited to see SGA tomorrow!

If you need to delete this part due to a spoiler...please do but all I have to say is "Asteroids"! So cool on so many levels! It felt like Atari but this millennium and way better! 8-D

Anonymous said...

My husband is arguing with me that he wants the TV tomorrow night to watch football. Can you believe that? Football over SGA??? I told him there are 3 of us that want to watch SGA and only one of him(2 teenage sons and me). He needs to go to another TV in another room. We want to watch SGA in high def. on the big TV.
Can you give me a better argument to use with him?
(Please don't do the stick with the guys or sports thing...this is SGA we are talking about!)

Tesajb said...

You get the Captain Awesome prize today for hitting your head on the trunk of your car.

It still doesn't beat the time I injured myself driving an old crappy 1970 Volvo I used to have with no power steering.

I was cranking the steering wheel trying to back up out of a parking spot and my hand accidently slipped off the wheel. The wheel of course jerked back, smacked my hand, and caused me to punch myself in the jaw. HARD.

IT WAS SPECTACULAR.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Sorry to hear about the noggin' taking a knock. Certainly don't envy you the headache you're likely to have tomorrow. :(

Lulu is winning my heart over. lol She should make her acting debut; somebody on Atlantis needs a dog. ;)

Dovil said...

Either way, people will be furious.

And yet other people will also be overjoyed or ambivalent, so there you go, you really can't please everybody.

Have you ever thought about doing 15,000 versions of every episode in order to stop the fan hysteria everytime a character looks at someone else, talks to someone else, or god forbid, takes a breath? Or did the fact that you would have to work every minute of your life put you off? It could be a choose your own adventure style: 'Press A for Jack/Sam, Press B for Sam/Jack, Press C for Jack goes on a drinking binge and marries a Las Vegas stripper'.

If you don't like what the writers do then welcome to the wonderful world of fanfiction, where you too can finally write the touching romantic epic between the very, very lonely Chuck and an alien fern.

Man, is that guy ever lonely.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe, poor you (((HUGS))) hitting your head is no fun (trust me!!) Hope you dont get concussion at all.

Kdvb1 said...
My husband is arguing with me that he wants the TV tomorrow night to watch football. Can you believe that? Football over SGA???


We (NZ) have a new channel starting on the digital service in Oct and I discovered that Providence (feat. Mr F.) begins at the first epi on Monday. So I informed my Dad of 'his' lack of viewing choice at that time slot for the next 3 weeks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe, can I say what's on my mind? Thanks

First off I have to wait for the season to come to DVD (good things come to those who wait) BUT there is actually, well two things I'm not trying to think about much, mostly the stryline with Teyla's newborn, and the father of said baby... I had a thought though about this...

Basically I'm thinking here that since Rachel said in the last interview which might be a few weeks/months old already, that Teyla getting with child was not something devine or the like. I was thinking that How can Teyla hide something like another guy being the baby's father from the team? To me that is next to impossible right? Heck I can't keep secrets from ANY of my close friends, heck I can't even keep my srects from my mom who thinks I'm obsessed with Atlantis (which is partly true)

Another thing I noticed is that Martin G had confirmed her crush is John and same for him as well. though from what I hear (I heard and read what others said of the "Sunday" Commentary) I'm also kinda stuck I'm under the thought here that love interest and crush are the same thing? am I wrong?

Also a few of us (my friends and myself about five people total) have actually noticed that John and Teyla seemed to kick off from the start, though there are many other pairs for John and Teyla with different people and I respect all of them. Heck I wrote a few fanfics of Teyla being paired with an OC and the same for John.

Thing is, I'm amazed at how clearly seen the pair of them are, first the cave scene in Rising, then in Hot Zone and Gift, then later in on(from what I remember reading in the transcripts on Gateworld) that John all but lost his cool when he saw Teyla in Sunday after she had been injured. Then a few episodes later she was calling for him to get her free.

How did you guys manage to make it feel kinda soapy (Teyla with another guy? sounds kinda soapy to me no offense) But then again, if it is someonefrom her past that does it.... what effect is that going to have on the pair?

But did the Crush/love interest change? it sounds kinda soapy dont you think? Teyla leaving John for another dude that she left in her past.

sorry if this has gone a bit long Joe :)

~Tey

Anonymous said...

Is "Trio" anything like "Duet"? I'm only asking because of the similarities in the name.

Anonymous said...

Ouch! I hope your head's okay. How many 'hard headed' jokes did you have to listen to today?

As I already own 'Lord Foul's Bane', I selfishly vote for that one. *g*

Can't wait for the premiere tomorrow night! I'm so excited for the season to start. I know it'll be the best ever.

Dovil said...

Oh, and also sorry to hear about the near fatal gushing head wound as well! It's good to see my priorities are ranting about a tv show and not say on the person who is being wheeled away in an ambulance with a car door sticking halfway out of their head. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

In an interview Rachel Luttrell has said that the father of Teyla's baby is a new character called Kanan.

Is this true or was she just joking with the interviewer?

Anonymous said...

Quoting Alex Levine's blog entry today "That being said, Rob and Brad were still very involved in the stories and direction of the show"

God no Joe, please do NOT let Robert Cooper anywhere hear SGA - please keep it for yourself and Paul and ok for Brad to give input but after what RC did to SG-1 please, please, please keep him away!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Dovol said, "It could be a choose your own adventure style: 'Press A for Jack/Sam, Press B for Sam/Jack, Press C for Jack goes on a drinking binge and marries a Las Vegas stripper'."

LMAO!!! What you said Dovol is so true.(IMHO)

Even though part of me would love to see everyone find true love on the show, I think it would ruin the show. How can you have turmoil and angst if everyone is ecstatically, happily in love? And you will never please all the shippers as so many are shipping for different couples.

Anonymous said...

Sorry that you hit your head on the trunk door. I once walked into a closed door, which resulted in an embarrassing bloody lip. How did I walk into a closed door? It was dark; I didn't turn on the lights; and then I collided. :(

Have a good evening!

Anonymous said...

What a dramatic day!

You got quite the wack on the head sir, need to be more careful with the fancy remote control ;)

No pic of the bump?
Was your wife extra sweet to you when you got home? gave you some chocolate for the boo boo?

hope she did, nothing like chocolate to make you feel better.

G Alice Owen said...

sorry to hear about your argument with the car trunk. Hope your day improved and tomorrow is better!

Tomorrow night is I.T. (Important Television). Counting the hours!

Anonymous said...

Is Teyla going to end up with the father of her baby at the end?

Anonymous said...

hi joe, sorry for your head injury, i broke my feet last sunday, i had to run to answer the phone and i stumble with a rockingchair, so i hope we both get well soon.

AV eddy said...

Hi Joe!

Wow, I go away for two weeks and I come back to this?

Cute pic of Martin G. Adorable and scary pics of Lulu. Vid of Jason (sigh) and Joe (sigh). You bean your head with bloody results. Comments include bitching about alleged shipping and SG-1. (Isn't that so last year yet?)

Ahhhhh, I love this blog! It's like I never left! ;P

eddy

P.S. I saw a black French Bulldog in Toronto last week. Reminded me of Lulu. :)

P.P.S. Up through McKay & Mrs. Miller on S3 SGA DVD! Loving it!!

Mad Man said...

Ok, first a response to those folk who are angry about Dr keller... WOAH... dude/dudette ...slutty? Someone is making some harsh judgements. You have problems with flirts now? God, if you don't like that, you really shouldn't see her portrayl of Kaylee from Firefly! Hell that character could make Ronon blush hehe. Why don't you relax and drink some tea, may need to unravel some of that nastiness.

And just want to respond to something Kdvb1 said, regarding queers in television? I am butting in here, but I myself do wish there was more portrayl of queer characters. Now in terms of how many queer characters are on television I don't know, I dont watch shows based on the existance of queer characters. Actually I am essentially a sci fi fan, I guess I seek more queer representation in the sci fi genre so to speak.

And I don't think having a queer character in a show is a demonstration of political correctness, but demonstrating felixbility of story, of exploring the various story possibilities. If you look at the statistics in general that 10% of people are queer(at least that), why doesn't it feel like that on tv? I am not asking for queer characters to pop up eeverywhere, I just feel that there are queers all over the place in almost every work environment /setting , and one would expect even in a city in another galaxy. People may not realize but chances are there are queer people in their workplace.

While I obviously can not speak for the producers/creators of the show, and this is just a feeling I have, but it feels like the lack of queer characters in stargate and in other sci fi franchises is rather a desire to not scare away the more conservative viewers who would be intolerant of such things. It is that which I think its troubling. So its less of a question of why there should be a queer character, and more of a question of why isn't there a queer character(no matter how minor).

I dont want it to be a big cliche to have a queer character( a la Jack on Will and Grace), but at least a brief mention of a homosexual relationship or maybe a brief mention of an attraction would be enough, something subtle, something that shouldnt be a big deal. As a model I point to the Willow/Tara relationship on Buffy, which I felt was handled perfectly. they didn't feel like a lesbian couple to get ratings and skirting controversy etc, but a real genuine couple.

Mad Man said...

I wanted to add, that I do applaud the show for having a male to male kiss(Duet), something not seen often in the sci fi genre(from what I have seen at least), however it was under unusual circumstances. It was a female using the male body for the kissing. Anyways just wanted to add that little bit.

semisweet said...

Sorry to hear you banged your head, Joe. I'm glad you decided not to post a picture of your bloody wound.

I've been encouraging everyone who's checking out a Stargate DVD set from the busy public library I work at to please watch Stargate Alantis this coming Friday night. I've even been encouraging the people checking out Battlestar Galactica DVDs to tune in too.

Thanks for the clip of the late arrivals.

Why doesn't Mr. Flanigan ever tie up the laces of his boots? Is it because he thinks Sheppard would wear his boots that way? Enquiring minds want to know!

Zannah said...

Joe, I applaud your ability to take yourself down. I once knocked myself out with a laptop.

My question du jour is a long-running, ultimately pointless, fan debate. Is Miko, the excellent character from Letters From Pegasus, Dr. Kusanagi? Any chance we'll see her again?

Charles Schneider said...

That last picture of Lulu is priceless. One of my hobbies this year has been trying to catch my labrador retriever puppy on film when he's not jiggling around everywhere like a paint mixer, which is basically never. He's a chocolate tornado of puppy kisses and slobbery tennis balls.

Are you working on any side projects this year or this coming year?

Anonymous said...

Just three quick questions if I can.

1. Does the studio have a deal with a computer company to show only their tablet pcs and laptops on SG1 and Atlantis?

2. I have not checked all the episodes to make sure, but why does Sheppard have a black wrist band? It doesnt seem to be part of the uniform.

3. In the first episode with Martin Lloyd, he made a rambling call to the bases switchboard. And in it (if I recall right) he said he found conspiracy websites that listed a device called the Stargate. Why have we never seen the UFO/Men in Black side of the Stargate Program? After all this time, some people who had run ins with SG1 had to talk.

Anonymous said...

i think sam will meet someone that is her oppisit like chuck norris lol his strength and her brains.
contests, aww i leave for a trip and come back and i missed it. will you be doing more in the future??
Dustin

Rachael said...

Joe, have you read Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast trilogy? Excellent, very dark fantasy.

Anonymous said...

lux said...
In an interview Rachel Luttrell has said that the father of Teyla's baby is a new character called Kanan.

Is this true or was she just joking with the interviewer?



Hahaha! I love it. All those Sheylas who are convinced it's dopelganger Shep...

But seriously, Joe, what are you running, a scifi show or Days of our Lives?

All this shipping is going to divide already divided fans even further.

I'm not impressed at all with Keller. Someone on GW said that Jewel's interview made her sound like a 13 year old gushing over her first kiss, and I have to agree.

Obviously you don't so much need a doctor as a city bike!

Anonymous said...

Oh no Joe!!!!! Whump Shep not self!!!!!!!

Amz said...

Ah, your poor head. Actually the olive oil thing should work. Pretty much any oil should (some people use baby oil), but olive is particularly good because of its composition . It's great for detaching sticky stuff.

RANCH DRESSING?!? I laughed so loud my sister had to ask what I was reading. Seriously, were you making that up?

And good luck with the Atlantis premiere, if I knew how international ratings worked I'd look them up after it's aired, but seeing as I don't, do you think you could let me know how it goes?
Amz

Anonymous said...

If you put Shep with Keller, he'll look like a dirty old man. If you put Ronon with Keller it'll prove that a certain group of Sheylas is right, and actually does have inside information, since they've been saying all along that you're going with a Keller/Ronon ship.

I don't know which of those two scenarios is worse.

Anonymous said...

Re-watching Season 3 this week, I’ve found myself wondering why Sheppard sometimes lets his enemies go instead of killing them. Kolya, Lucius and Michael have each benefited from his mercy at one time or another. This is great from the point of view of generating more stories later on, and I’m always happy to see Richard Kind, Robert Davi and Connor Trinneer again, but it’s a puzzling pattern. Are we supposed to infer something about Sheppard’s character from it, or is it just an accidental effect of the way the show has developed? Anyway, all the best to you and everyone else at Bridge Studios, all the worst to a certain litigious agency down in LA, and here’s to Seasons 4, 5, 6, 7 ...

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe

Just sending healing hugs to you. You were lucky not to have been knocked out... Thanks for the blogs and photos and vids that you've done for us all. You are a star. Huggles to the dogs.
love
Wendy
John Sheppard is my happy place

Anonymous said...

Just Read a Torri Higginson interview at Gateworld:

(GW: What can you tell us about the circumstances that led to the decision to have you recurring?

TH: I can tell you nothing. [Laughter] I wasn't a part of the decision, so I can tell you nothing about what their process was. I can hypothesize. To be honest, to be frank -- and I don't judge them for it -- I believe that there is a loyalty to the [SG-1] people and when they knew that show was ending they tried to find a way to keep the people they'd been loyal to for ten years alive, and I absolutely admire that. There is a lot of loyalty to this business. I think that's very great, and very gracious of them.)

I'm shocked, really... Higginson believe that her character as becoming recurrent for making room to a SG-1 character (among other reasons). It's true?

Anonymous said...

Ein Hallo aus dem verregneten Bayern/Deutschland!

Eine Gruppe Stargate Atlantis Fans glaubt fest daran, dass die 4 Staffel ein voller Erfolg wird. Wir glauben an euch und nachdem wir die Trailer gesehen haben, sind wir erst recht überzeugt!

Ihr schafft das!


Herzliche Grüße


Jana, Annika, Luisa, Daniel, Sabina, Mirko, Verena, Katja, Marion, Paula, Katharina, Denise, Julia, Felix, Evelyn, Patrick, Sebastian, Stephanie, Magdalena & Nicole

(Translation:
Hello from rainy Bavarians / Germany! A group Stargate Atlantis fans thinks steady in the fact that Season 4 becomes a full success. We believe in you and after we have seen the trailers, we are persuaded only surely! You create this! Greetings)

Anonymous said...

Joe, you are so good to us! You get a nasty knock on the head and still manage to write a great blog, post awesome pictures and give us a video! You rock!

My question is, does SciFi factor in ratings from The Movie Network? The SciFi Channel is not available where I live *sniff* and the only way to watch new episodes of SGA is on TMN. Season 4 starts airing on October 1st and I can’t wait!

Take care,

Sabina :)

iamza said...

I'd be happy to read either (or both!) of the science fiction books you listed for next month's book club.

Of the two fantasy books you've listed, my vote is for Perdido Street Station. (I have tried to read the Stephen Donaldson book in the past, and just couldn't get into it).

Good luck for the premiere tonight. I hope the figures look great so that Sci-Fi decides quickly to renew the show for another season!

Neep said...

Sorry about your head, Joe!

This evening I came home to my parents for the weekend. I noted that my mother was wearing a bandana (very weird but I dismissed it) and launched into the story about how you banged your head and made it bleed. She listened the whole time, nodding and wincing in the right places. She was very sympathetic.

When I finished, she pulled her bandana off and said "the doctor glued mine back together." Turns out she chased down a small child to wipe it's nose, and then came up under a new cupboard unit that had just been put up. Ouch. Lots of blood.

I don't like to ask, but could you please dedicate tomorrows blog to her- from one clumsy head injurer to another? Thanks!

Have fun with the season premiere!

Artful Disarray said...

You, Sir--have singlehandedly turned me on to French Bulldogs and gourmet chocolate. Not that I needed much urging, you understand.

Do hope the head wound heals nicely! A jauntily-tipped party hat might've covered the bandage for crew pics :D you could say you were merely being festive!

PLoker said...

Hey Joe

I feel your pain... Literally I hit my head on my kitchen cupboard yesterday have headache today... I didn't need a noticeable bandage like you but still freak'in hurt. I'm accident prone (I'm deaf in one ear) so I'm constantly misjudging things and getting myself "whacked"... Glad your ok though! When will you see the final pic?? Were you able to hide you head wound??

Book choice after much consideration reading the online synapses, cover pics, and analysis I vote for The Legacy of Heorot and Peridio Street Station.

Finished Hogfather and I think maybe Teatime was an auditor?? He seemed to have super-natural abilities (on the count that he didn't really die) I only say this because they’re only ones that seemed to want to kill Hogfather. I got the impression that the Hogfather was related to Susan but at the end when she saves him and he flies off there isn't really that acknowledgment only the glance... I was hoping for a conversation.

Alrighty well have a fantastic day!!

Pen

Anonymous said...

Joe,

I just wanted to give you a very big "best wishes" for tonight's premiere. I'm sooooooo looking forward to it. Thank you for working so hard to bring us this great show.

Okay, mushy stuff over. Sorry to hear about your head injury. And didn't you recently take a nasty spill down some stairs?

Has it occured to you that LuLu was involved in both? You know, she could be one of those rare jinxed French Bulldogs (or BullGods as my friend in the biz likes to call them).

In that case, you should probably give her to me because it is clearly far too dangerous for you to keep the little darling. Just let me know when I can come pick her up. Just thinking of your health, you know. We need you conscious and kicking for Season 5!

WB

Nicolas said...

Vos chiens sont super^^

Plus que quelques heures et la saison 4 débutte. J'ai hate de la voir cette saison^^
A votre avis, comment vont étre les audiences?

Ps: Est-ce que vous pourriez supplier M6 (chaine télé) de diffuser la saison 3 de SGA car je ne l'ai toujours pas vu et prés de la moitié des fans français aussi. A la place de mettre la franchise sur M6 comme tout les ans ils l'ont mis sur une chaine cablée (Série Club) mais ce n'est pas tout le monde qui a le cable, et en plus les dvd ne sont pas encore sortis.
Alors comme vous étes le producteur exécutif, est-ce que vous pourriez faire ça pour les fans français?

Voilà j'espere que vous aller répondre a mon message.
Passez une bonne soirée devant le season premiere.

Neep said...

Ploker: I'm accident prone (I'm deaf in one ear) so I'm constantly misjudging things and getting myself "whacked"...

Ooh, I'm like that too. I only use one eye so I'm not great at distances... stairs, walls, objects... everything can and does attack me. And if you throw something at me expecting me to catch it, it will hit me in the face. I can juggle if I don't look at my hands.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe

Just finished Terry Prachett's Wee free Men. What a delight little book. I love the tiny little creatures with their wonderful Scottish brogue. it was a delight.. the author must have a mighty merry heart.
Thanks for the recommendation. a wonderful read.

DORI

Anonymous said...

Ever read the Saga of the Seven Suns by Kevin J. Anderson?

Hope the headwound heals quickly, I feel your pain (with a stationwagon lid in my case)

Jim From Jersey said...

Joe,

Sorry to hear about the injury. But a picture or two would have been nice. It's always fun to point fingers and laugh. =)

On another note, we're all set for the premier. Stocked with Guinness, vodka and snacks, the HD and surround sound are on standby. Absofreakinglutely excited about tonight!

Anonymous said...

Happy SGA Day

Does the return of Carson emotionally lie on a double edged sword?

Anonymous said...

I hope your head is feeling better so you can enjoy the fact that SGA season 4 is HERE! Well, here in 10hrs 30mins!

Did Fondy give you some TLC when you got home? I hope so, poor baby!

Anonymous said...

Thing is, I'm amazed at how clearly seen the pair of them are, first the cave scene in Rising, then in Hot Zone and Gift, then later in on(from what I remember reading in the transcripts on Gateworld) that John all but lost his cool when he saw Teyla in Sunday after she had been injured.

Uh, the cave scene in Rising was embarrassingly bad, as was the stilted "smokin hot" stick scene in The Gift. My husband walked out on that one. John lost his cool when Teyla was hurt in Sunday? Missed that. Or maybe it didn't happen. You see what you want to see. I think Shep and Teyla is the ultimate bad cliche human/hot chick alien leader. I don't want to see it. I could stomach Teyla being attracted to one of her own people though. THAT would be a natural course of events.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...

Is "Trio" anything like "Duet"? I'm only asking because of the similarities in the name.

Of course, only instead of a Rodney/Beckett kiss we'll be delighted with Carter/Keller kiss thus showing us the "not so subtle" reference to Sam's love life!!!
Isn't it Joe???

Fran said...

Does Stargate Atlantis air international?

I have pen pals throughout the globe and have started showing them the world that is Atlantis. It helps to show them (penpals)pictures of JF and DH the hunks of SGA.

Fran

Fran said...

With Sci Fi Books have you read any books by Arthur C Clarke and if so what was your favourite? I read "The Light Of Other Days" and really enjoyed that.

And there are STARGATE ATLANTIS NOVELS out there have you read any of those?

Fran

PS Hope your head feels better soon.

Anonymous said...

I just read a recent interview that you did and something really bothered me. After I finished reading the interview, I couldn't understand why you didn't mention Daniel as possibly doing a guest spot in season 5. Even though the guy doing the interview didn't ask you specifically about Daniel, you had (IMO) a lot of opportunities to mention it in at least one of your responses. If Daniel doing a guest spot in season 5 is important to you, then why didn't you mention it?

You also mentioned that you had Chris make an appearance on Atlantis to do the fight scene with Ronan - (paraphrasing) because it would make fans happy and they had been talking about seeing Ronan and Teal'c fight. I thought you guys didn't write stories according to what a few fans might want. Since I don't post on any forum, does that mean that I need to start posting in order to 'get what I want'? Just because the majority of fans don't post on forums and never will, doesn't mean that we don't have favorite characters or enjoy certain aspects of the show more than others.

I hope I'm not coming across rude in any way, it's just that after reading what you said (and didn't say) I'm confused. Especially since I have seen Brad Wright lurking in threads on G.W. where a few fans are complaining about things that I have really enjoyed about the show. I may not post on any forums, but it doesn't mean that I am not a die-hard fan or have a favorite character too.

Could you please touch on how much you pay attention to fans posting on forums and their opinions about the show vs your own opinions about how stories should be told and things should be done? And just because you didn't mention Daniel in the interview could you please confirm that you still plan on having him do a guest spot in season 5? Thanks.

Kelly J. Crawford said...

That was a yawn? Lulu looks like she's about to rip that poor woman's face off.

♥ANAIS♥ said...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

QUOI?? Vous vous êtes fait mal?. ou? comment? c'est grave? Mais c est affruex!!! Mon dieux, j'arrive!! si vous voulez je serais votre infirmiére!!
Jespert que sa va vite guerrir!!!!

Merci pour ces super photos!!

oh, je suis tellement triste, je rêverais de vous voir un jours! Vous faite parti des 5 chose que je voudrais faire dans ma vie:
*)Aller au Usa ou au canada.
*)Vous rencontrez
*)réussir ma vie
*)avoir un travail qui me plait
*)me marier avec l'homme que j'aime.

Donc voila=) vous tenez une place super importanta dans ma vie! mais je pensse que vous le savais.


Mes questions:
1)Vous pratiquez quel sport?
2)Vous avez reçu mes cartes?
3)Dans la saison 4 on verra beaucoup les athosiens?

Voila=D! Merci beaucoup!! je vous aime fort! Bisou! Bonne journée!!

Anonymous said...

Prediction for tonight - 1.3.

Edward4th said...

ARGH! Donaldson put me to sleep, beats taking the tablets. have you read any Piers Antony@? his Xanth series was amusing and his Incarnations of Immortality were an interesting take,especially Bearing an Hour Glass, I must admit though that reading the guys opinion of himself was more than a sane person could handle.

Anonymous said...

I'm curious, Joe. What exacly is the role of a producer? I know you pitch episodes and write scripts, what else do you do?

Anonymous said...

If Brad Wright truly is lurking on GW, I hope he's taking a good look at the Anti Season 4, Pro Weir and Anti Carter threads.

The interviews from you and Torri have caused people who were saying they were anti but would still watch to decide not to watch at all.

Congratulations on that.

Anonymous said...

Really sorry to hear about your head! I hope you feel better soon! That happens to me whenever I get out of a small car [I have a truck].

Someone above said that in Trio there's a Carter/Keller kiss. Please say that there isn't! A lot of kids and teenagers watch the show and that is not appropriate at all! Not to mention that if something like that was in one of the episodes you would probably lose most of the families that watch the show together.

Anonymous said...

Hi! L'enfant de Teyla aura t-il un papa du côté des gentils ou des méchants?
Si ce n'est pas le "doppelganger sheppard" le papa, il faut le dire maintenant s'il vous plait, que tous les "sheyla" arretent de se faire des faux espoirs...lol

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe

Best of luck with the show tonight.

I just finished reading the Jewel Staite interview, I really hope that that was just a unfortunate interview and Keller isn't the complete little Barbie doll (oh, there's an image - Atlantis Barbie!) she has described. I've tried to keep an open mind about this (difficult as I adored Beckett and Paul McGillion but I have tried) but if she is the way she is being described (by Jewel who as the actress playing her you would think would know) then ouch. Just ouch. Ah well, at worst it's only 8 episodes and as I say, hopefully it was just a very poor interview and we'll get a pleasent surprise

I'm sure the rest of the episode will be fantastic and will get great ratings!

Anonymous said...

Is Teyla's baby conceived by natural means or otherwise?

ptarmigan said...

JM said "Actually, that’s Jelly. She likes to lord it over the other dogs."

Aaaaahhh. Apologies to Jelly.

You know, if you intend entertain us with Mallozzi-whump in the future, you should probably have a little talk with the stunt department. You've already progressed from bruises to blood; I don't think any of us would like to hear that you have broken any bones(heaven forbid)on the next little mishap. :)

Good luck to the entire Atlantis Team tonight!

rebekah said...

You wrote: when you get around to actually watching season 4, you may well find yourself quoting The Prince Bride’s Inigo Montoya with regard to all of the expected “romance“: “You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.”

This really really really really really made my day. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

How does auditioning for a role work? Do you need any credentials? I always kind of wanted to audition for something just for fun. No shows film close to where I live, but say I moved, I'm not really planning on being an actress as my lifelong career, but can anyone just audition and then wow if you get it, and oh well it was fun anyway if you don't?

Anonymous said...

less than 7 hours!! i can't believe i made it thru school without doing something stupid (well actually none such luck. but you know what i mean.)

Anonymous said...

"Anonymous pisze...

Quoting Alex Levine's blog entry today "That being said, Rob and Brad were still very involved in the stories and direction of the show"

God no Joe, please do NOT let Robert Cooper anywhere hear SGA - please keep it for yourself and Paul and ok for Brad to give input but after what RC did to SG-1 please, please, please keep him away!!!!!!!"

Uhmm... excuse me? Rob Cooper made SG-1 much more enjoyable and interesting in recent two years that it even was in previous 8 years. If this is the reason for which you hate him, we're definitely watching two different shows.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
If Brad Wright truly is lurking on GW, I hope he's taking a good look at the Anti Season 4, Pro Weir and Anti Carter threads.

The interviews from you and Torri have caused people who were saying they were anti but would still watch to decide not to watch at all.

Congratulations on that.


Yeah, I'd hope he'd go on the other threads as well, such as the discussion threads and the character threads too, and maybe he'd see a more balanced and representitive selection of what fans think. Those who aren't biased and who are waiting until they see the show to judge it...

As for the interview? Well, it's one person's opinion, isn't it? A hypothesis, I believe was the exact word? Bottom line: Those with agendas or a certain perspective will view things as they want to, blah, blah, blah...

Joe, sorry about your head. I did exactly the same thing a while back on my V70, and I literally saw stars. Ouch, is all I can say. I know this is now a cliché, but, WHUMP SHEP NOT SELF. Yep, that hasn't helped my sprained ankle at all, but it makes me feel better saying that. I hope the ratings are good tonight. I'm crossing my fingers. I hope you'll let us know when you hear anything? Please?

Anonymous said...

Does anything important (as a character-development) happen to Jack in "Continuum"?

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe

Hope your head's feeling better today. I was just wondering if you knew how Rachel was doing - she hasn't been in any of your pictures or stories from the set lately, so I guess that she wrapped up before everyone else? I hope she and her family are happy and healthy.

Good luck with the ratings tonight!

Titan Grrl said...

I'm sure there are simpler ways to get out of crew photo day Joe... ;) Hope you're feeling better though, sounds like a nasty gash!

As someone who works in a hospital setting, I can say that thoroughly wetting the dressing.. with good old fashioned water... is what we usually recommend. I haven't heard of this olive oil method, but then again we don't generally keep it to hand ;) I don't imagine it being something you would want to get into a wound though... :S

Paul as Scottie? Brilliance!

Anonymous said...

ouch - maybe karma is finally catching up? but if that was all, you got off easy. you probably think of yourself above those things.

my prediction for tonight.
Adrift: 1.3
Lifeline: 1.3

Anonymous said...

petit message avant d'aller au lit:

Sayé!! j'ai enfin dépasser les 20000 commentaires sur mon blog!!
je suis trop heureuse!!!! =D

aller gros bisou , a demain =)

Anonymous said...

Just finished reading the GW interview with Torri. I can't help thinking that TPTB screwed up. I'm neither an Amanda lover nor hater, and I know that you decided to bring Amanda in long after you decided to demote Torri to a "recurring" role. However, she is one class act, and I really think you could/should have found better ways of making us of her talents on SGA.

That being said, I still intend to watch the show and hope for its continuation for many years to come.

Anonymous said...

More Teal'c in Atlantis season 5, yup? nope? maybe so?

Anonymous said...

hi

I'm sorry your day started so badly and you hit your head! But i just wanted to check if its a "man injury" like "man flu", which is of cours actually not as fatal as people may think. You may need to post pictoral evidence to support your claim!

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe,

Did you see that in Yahoo's top ten Internet searches of the day, Stargate Atlantis ranked 9. It was behind Dolly Parton and Barry Bonds, but hey, can't win them all! Hopefully, it's a good sign that Atlantis is on the minds of lots and lots of fans out there and tonight will be big ratings. I'm planning to watch live for the first time ever instead of using my DVR.

Good luck! Long live SGA!

Anonymous said...

I always enjoyed the scenes between Daniel and Mitchell, even though they were few and far between. Could you tell us if there will be any good scenes between the two of them in either of the movies to look forward to?

Iris said...

Quick question, in an Irish radio interview, just recently, RDA said he spoke with Brad Wright about future SG-1 movies and said he would be interested. I may have misinterpreted the comment, since RDA was explaining the distinction between Contiuum and Ark Of Truth. Do you know anything about future SG-1 films and or possible Jack involvemnt therein?

Thanks so much, will be watching tonight!

Royal

Anonymous said...

Joe, have you seen gateworld's main page? A nice big picture of Sam/Mckay advertising tonights episode. But lets not stop there. They have an article about how Sam/Mckay LIGHT UP ATLANTIS. WTF. I thought you said that we wouldn't have Sam/Mckay shoved down our throats. I despise when Sam and Mckay are together on screen. You may find it funny but I can't stand it. I don't care if Amanda and David are good friends. That doesn't mean the fans have to be subjected to their characters childish behavior on screen. And where the hell is Shep? I thought Joe F. was the lead.

Anonymous said...

I think I had read on your blog some day that Stargate Atlantis would be airing in HD in the USA starting now with the fourth season. Would you happen to know of a website where I can find out where, when, and on what channel it's going to show on? Thanks, Joe.

G Alice Owen said...

Only 2 hours and 43 minutes to ATLANTIS! Whooooo Hooooooo!

Anonymous said...

I do think one of the only inhibitors for a queer relationship in Stargate is that, in order for it to be noticed in the first place, some portion of screen time would have to be given to it, which would take away from the overall plot. Also, Joe mentioned that 1 out of every 10 people are homosexual. well, if that's the case, implementing such a storyline could cause 20 or so percent of the 90% straight people to stop watching the show. Theoretically.

Anyway, Joe, I just wanted to thank you for making this season an enjoyable one so far. Thanks for spending time to enlighten us on some of the behind-the-scenes stuff you are doing. I know many of us nag you so much with pointless questions. THANKS!

Katheen said...

Joe - have you thought of disabling anonymous comments? Although I enjoy your verbal lambasting of the ruder characters, forcing people to put a name to their posts might encourage some deliberation.

On second thought, please keep the anonymous posting - I need the laughs!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous wrote:

Joe, have you seen gateworld's main page? A nice big picture of Sam/Mckay advertising tonights episode. But lets not stop there. They have an article about how Sam/Mckay LIGHT UP ATLANTIS. WTF. I thought you said that we wouldn't have Sam/Mckay shoved down our throats. I despise when Sam and Mckay are together on screen. You may find it funny but I can't stand it. I don't care if Amanda and David are good friends. That doesn't mean the fans have to be subjected to their characters childish behavior on screen.

There's always some faction who hates what another faction loves - deal with it. If it bothers you too much, stop watching the show. I can't believe the number of whiners who post on this blog; people who think they are speaking for the entire fandom when they say "fans" don't like this or "fans" love that.

It's called promotion/advertising. Don't get all upset over some PR stuff you read. Why not wait until you actually see the episodes before you start whining about what you don't like? There just might be the possibility that Carter and McKay aren't going to be shoved down your throat. Sheesh.

Anonymous said...

Prakash said...
I am not asking for queer characters to pop up everywhere, I just feel that there are queers all over the place in almost every work environment /setting , and one would expect even in a city in another galaxy. People may not realize but chances are there are queer people in their workplace.


Well, for me, the point is that someonee's sexuality is not, and should not be, an issue. It's not something that would ever really come up or be referenced unless it was a part of the plot. As you yourself say, people may not realise some of their work colleagues are gay.. because it simply isn't referenced (there's no need for it to be in a work environment).. so why would it be referenced on Atlantis either?

Prakash said...
I dont want it to be a big cliche to have a queer character(a la Jack on Will and Grace), but at least a brief mention of a homosexual relationship or maybe a brief mention of an attraction would be enough, something subtle


There already have been subtle references/mentions indicating that the Atlantis team are accepting of gay relationships etc.. Sheppard asking Ronon in Sunday if he's dating anyone, a woman "or a man". Sheppard's comment in First Strike that McKay and Zelenka should just make out already.. :)

Anonymous said...
ouch - maybe karma is finally catching up? but if that was all, you got off easy. you probably think of yourself above those things.

Seriously?!!
You feel that Joe injuring himself can be considered some kind of karmic retribution for the fact that he and others made some decisions about a TV show that you are not happy about?!! How screwed up are your priorities?!!

P.S. On the book club front... I'd advise not to go with Donaldson.. you may read fast but his books are soooooo long-winded and slow going that the rest of the book club may well need several months to get through the book and be able to comment!

Anonymous said...

Lulu is precious!`