Well judging from the response to Adrift, Stargate Atlantis’s fourth season is off to a rollicking start. Here’s hoping the generally positive vibes continue to resonate with both longtime fans and first timers alike as year four in the Pegasus galaxy unfolds over the course of the next six months. Congratulations go out to the cast and crew, writer Martin Gero, and Visual Effects Supervisor Mark Savela and his team for all their hard work in putting together a terrific opener. And Monday afternoon, we’ll find out how all that hard work translated in terms of viewership - which, in turn, should give us a hint about the show's future.
Tonight is the season four wrap party and I’m debating whether to bring my camera along. On the one hand, it is an exceptionally blog-worthy event. But on the other hand, I’ll be lugging a camera around with me for most of the night. Well, I’ll play it by ear and make it a game-time decision.
As I head upstairs to select an outfit (I’m having a hard time choosing between the chainmail or the harlequin garb), I leave you with the following questionnaire that found its way into the inbox of all the scammers who dropped Baron Destructo an email over the course of this past week:
“Dear Interested Party,
You have been selected at random to receive this questionnaire as part of The League of Aliens and Mutants for Evil’s ongoing campaign toward total global conquest. The subjugation of the human race is a lofty goal and one we would be unable to aspire to were it not for the support of individuals such as yourself, so please take the time to answer the questions provided and return this email by hitting REPLY or by forwarding your responses to the following address:
BaronDestructo@yahoo.com
Respond before December 31, 2007 and you are automatically entered to win one of the following wonderful prizes: Signed League of Aliens and Mutants for Evil paraphernalia! A zombie piranha-gerbil! Meaningful input into the manner of your demise when the day of reckoning arrives! An all expense-paid trip to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico!
So fill out this questionnaire and let’s hear from you soon! Make your voice heard (and not just in a screaming for mercy seconds before your death kind of way)!
Question 1 - In your opinion, which of the following would your city defenses have a harder time withstanding:
a) a satellite death ray
b) a scourge of flesh-eating centipedes
c) memory-manipulating digital signals
d) an army of ill-tempered robot chimps
Question 2 - In the event that the planet came under attack by an alliance of alien and mutant forces, what words might best describe your attitude to the calamitous events:
a) angry and vengeful
b) fearful and withdrawn
c) confused and non-committal
d) curious and potentially cooperative
Question 3 - Your planetary governments have fallen and an example is to be made of the various world leaders. An appropriate punishment for daring to defy their superhuman overlords would be:
a) disintegration
b) defenestration
c) self-flagellation
d) the filling out of endless mortgage applications
Question 4 - If you were to lose your job tomorrow as a result of an unforeseen global calamity, your existing skills would be best put to use:
a) policing your respective detention quadrant in service of your new planetary masters
b) working the salt mines of a satellite intergalactic colony
c) participating in the production of various delicious and nutritious soylent green-derived foodstuffs
d) providing a mind template for an army of cyber-ferrets
Question 5 - “Given the choice, I would prefer Earth’s next ruler to be:
a) a 3000 year old dimension-tripping extra-terrestrial with twin eye-stalks in place of a head and nothing in place of a sense of humor”
b) an introverted super-genius with psychotic tendencies and an affinity for death metal and funny hats”
c) a laconic mutant with the ability to reanimate dead tissue and correctly identify any cheese on sight”
d) a physically and emotionally scarred and embittered former aristocrat with an unquenchable thirst for vengeance”
Question 6 - “I would be most docile and cooperative if I were to be incarcerated in:
a) a subterranean moon prison”
b) an orbiting penal colony”
c) a sub-aquatic deep sea penitentiary”
d) Australia”
Question 7 - “If someone close to me were to have their brain switched out with a cybernetic implant capable of controlling the host body while monitoring and recording all dissentious conversation or activity, I would probably be the least suspicious of:
a) a family member”
b) a spouse or lover”
c) a friend”
d) a household pet”
Questions 8 - A more appropriate name for Earth would be:
a) The Principality of Zontar
b) New Venus
c) Planet XR7JV55903CCC-00952-VM1
d) Chicago
Question 9 - Which of the following holidays do you observe?
a) Feast of St. Zoplak the Mysterian
b) International Psychokinesis Weekend
c) Helios 5 Quadruple Lunar New Year
d) Elemental Transmutation Day
e) Arbor Day
Question 10 - In the unlikely event we wished to hunt you down and eradicate you in our bid to clean up any loose ends prior to moving forward on the helpful information you’ve provided, where would be the best place to reach you?
a) Your home or office as you’ll be going about your daily business blissfully unaware of the gruesome fate that awaits you.
b) In hiding with friends or family in the mistaken assumption that our aerial nanite tracers won’t be able to pinpoint your exact location.
c) Under the protection of the irksome Captain Spectacular and his do-gooder Confederacy of Justice sidekicks.
d) Elsewhere: Please specify.
Thank you for your time. Your participation is greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Baron Destructo
Cc: Calamitous Jane, Glaxnor the Miscreant, Sinderella Washington, Xxxaptak’qul, Dr. Catastro, Dr. Disastro, Dr. Quinn Meddlesome Woman, Ray Mephistopheles, Archfiend Animus, Brutus Badly, the Plague Zombies, Vorzik the Planet Squisher, the Malevolater, Count Sinister, Kugal Baruth, Death Knell, Star Father Celestio, Shatterdam, Princess Arcana, the Mystifier, the Procrastinator, the Soul Emancipator, Quickstrike, Professor Frosty, Flamer the Flaming Man, the Pummeler, the Purple Lamprey, and John Tesh.
The League of Aliens and Mutants for Evil
Making the world a worse place for humankind”
Joe’s Book of the Month Club. The voting so far:
The Legacy of Heorot leads Legion of the Damned 4 to 1.
Lord Foul’s Bane and Perdido Street Station are all tied up.
The voting booth closes midnight Sunday.
Today’s pics: A few pics from yesterday’s shoot.
Today’s video: Click on the date for a notion of how director Martin Wood plans his shots.
No mailbag today. I’M GETTING DRESSED!

92 comments:
Congratulations on wrapping what looks to be another exciting season! I'm sure based on forum posts and general responses your assessment of great ratings this season will hold true.
OOH! I vote you take your camera. If votes count, that is. :)
*laughs hysterically at your questionnaire and receives strange looks from my husband*
And here's my wholehearted hope that the numbers will give us a HUGE nudge toward a Season 5. :)
Maybe Baron Destructo would be so kind as to annihilate some of the pinheads who have been posting such vitriol in their comments here. Don't like something, okay. At least be civil about it.
Oh hard to choose, I personally think you will look stunning on a harlequin garb (nice and bright colors.)
But on the other hand if you have been upsetting people a Chainmail might prove safer just in case someone wants to back stave you at the party, and lets face it, after that incident with the car trunk maybe going with a safeguard piece of clothing is wiser ( you might be on the clumsy side of the spectrum)
Have fun tonight! don't drink and drive!
Hope ratings were good!
My husband says:
Red Sox won the division title, Go Red Sox!
Wrap party tonight? Are you guys all done shooting then? Or does the wrap party come slightly before the end of shooting? ;)
I take it the ep being filmed in today's and yesterday's pictures is it The Last Man?
Leave the camera home and just go enjoy being with your friends--thanks for the thought, though! Please let everyone know how grateful we are for a great season 4 opener!
Have a great evening-
CB
try not to laugh but whilst reading your blog, without paying attention i thought you were asking everyone to answer those 10 questions, and i kinda speant 10-15 minutes doing that
ugh im a fool.. well i would post what i thought of the questions but dunno if youd accept, well here goes
1.a) a satellite death ray
(nothing beats a good old blast to smitherines like a trusty death ray, death from above)
2.a) angry and vengeful
(kill zem, kill zem all)
3.d) the filling out of endless mortgage applications
4.b) working the salt mines of a satellite intergalactic colony
(VIVA LA RESITANCE!)
5.b) an introverted super-genius with psychotic tendencies and an affinity for death metal and funny hats”
(Enough said)
6.c) a sub-aquatic deep sea penitentiary”
(songs from walt disneys lil mermaids under the sea.. being heard throughout the hall ways until they end up killing me for being annoying)
7.d) a household pet”
(hmm... i don't like the look of that rabbit..)
8.b) New Venus
(but il'd request, a New Uranus, when they conquer moar)
9.c) Helios 5 Quadruple Lunar New Year
(great for the chicks)
10.d) Elsewhere: Please specify. ...... RIGHT BEHIND YOU
my reward shall be, endless episodes of Lucius Lovin replacing Sheppard, also promote him to Atlantis leader and Ultra director of SG Atlantis for season 5
- from Anonymous
Congrats again. I thought the show last night was great and I can't wait for next week. Have fun at the party tonight! I Look forward to your report as always.
Photos from the wrap party would be lovely, Joe. :)
Oh come off it Joe you knew some gonk would answer it!
1/ d
2/ d
3/ d
4/ a
5/ c
6/ c
7/ a
8/ b
9/ d
10/ d In my secret underground nuclear bunker (can’t tell you where it is it wouldn’t be secret if I did would it)
11/ Which of the following are you most likely to do when faced with impending death from the great and mighty Nova Lords?
a/ Max out my credit card. (Bit risky)
b/ Max out my spouses credit card. (Very risky)
c/ Tell my boss what I really think of him. (Go for it)
d/ Ask who the hell are these bloody Nova Lords any way? (Who wants to live for ever?)
Enjoy the party.
Pauline
Hmmm....Soylent green.
I know what I'm having for Dinner!
Oh, by the way...
My vote is for Lord Foul's Bane.
Have fun at the party!
Please, please answer these three questions. 1) Is Stargate Continuum set before S4 of Atlantis? 2) How much time is suppose to have elapsed between Unending and Adrift? 3) Does Elizabeth Weir ascend in This Mortal Coil?
Thank you!
Just have a good time tonight mate!
hi, joe,
well, i had an atlantis dream.:D i can't remember the exact details, but i know it had sam and the david ogden stiers character, because as soon as i woke up, i started doing a story in my head about them. i finished the story (after falling back to sleep again) just before i got up from bed hours later.
atlantis is already seeping into my consciousness! but *thank you* for including sam/amanda!! :D
sally :D
Adrift= totally awesome. Congrats to all involved (the Martin squared team does it again!)
(And I have to say, as a doctor - thankyou for not having them shocking asystole. Thankyou for using roughly the right meds for cerebral oedema. And does the Ancient scanner-thingy have inbuilt ICP monitoring? If so can we have one in my ICU? It would make life so much easier :p
It's not a craniectomy though! It's a craniotomy! Bloody Yanks)
I have a question. Does the Chinese tech have a name? If not, can he be Han? Because it sounds right, and has awesome Star Wars overtones!
Thanks for a great episode of tv, Joe! I look forward to next week.
On the topic of books, I have a feeling it would be hard for me to get a copy of The Legacy of Heorot (I'd like to read it, but it seems to be "out of print" here), so I'll remain undecided in the sci fi category. My fantasy vote goes to Perdido Street Station.
Have fun tonight, and let us know whether harlequin or chain mail won ;)
Congratulations on wrapping season 4, and I'm sure that we will get a season 5 pickup.(*crosses fingers*)
I haven't watched Adrift yet as I am patiently waiting until Monday when it airs here in Canada, but I'm sure it will be another fabulous season.
Hi Joe,
Great way to start of season 4...I loved everything about the episode and looking forward to the rest of the season even more.
Quick question for you:
A large part of the first episode(s) was the Wraith being able make the expedition team see things that are not really there. And since then, that really hasn't come up in the storyline at all. Why is this? and will you ever tell more about them?
I don't have time to read the books, but I'll vote anyway:
The Legacy of Heorot for the scifi book and Foul's Bane for the fantasy book.
Though I won't read the books, I will read your review, which I might take into consideration later on. :)
Have fun tonight!
William C. Dietz’s Legion of the Damned or Niven and Pournelle’s The Legacy of Heorot as the scifi book,
and Donaldson’s Lord Foul’s Bane or China Melville’s Perdido Street Station in the fantasy category.
Great start to the season Joe! Have fun, watch out for the toothpicks in the finger foods (you could put an eye out) and really wouldn't mind winning that trip to Mexico...
It would be really cool to see how the ratings look. How do they inform you? Does someone hand you a printout of numbers or what?
And like everyone's saying, Adrift had me glued to the screen and I don't think in the history of scifi has there ever been an episode filled with so many moments of 'Oh yay, it's fixed. Oh crap, what now? Yay, that's done. Wait, what?!' We loved it!
I didn't get a chance to comment yesterday, but I wanted to tell you how much I "Adrift"! Lots and lots of intensity and really fantastic effects. I especially loved the whole section of tossing Zelenka across the chasm and floating in spaced!Atlantis. Very cool.
Also, to Baron Destructo: I think Chicago would be an excellent choice of names for the planet. Make the natives feel like they are important. And difficult for other aliens to pronounce correctly just by reading, so you'd always know impostors before they tried to take over the dictatorship
Well, I'd say I'd love to see pictures, but it's not as though you lack the ability to turn a phrase or two— wow us with your masterful rendition of the party in written form, and leave the camera at home, for pete's sake. :D Enjoy the night— then give us the juicy details tomorrow.
And, since there's no mailbag today (gosh, 'cause someone just has to get dressed— conformer) I'll throw a question out there that was asked yesterday and I was interested to know the answer, yet do not know if the first commentator will repost: was Torri's head actually shaved during any part of the filming?
Oh, and:
Memory signals, fearful/withdrawn/scared shitless, defenestration because I don't know what it means but it sounds intriguing, job?, the cheesy mutant, sub-aquatic just because I'd get distracted by the 'coolness that is being underwater', any human actually— the pets I'd key in on though, gotta go with anon. on the 'New Uranus' actually, Arbor Day when I remember, and blissfully at home or possibly at my physics class in which case I welcome my own demise and may actually pre-empt you.
Joe, what's your reaction to iTunes leaking Doppelganger? Oh, and by the way, congratulations. S.4 is turning out quite well.
Have you ever been to Restaurant Da Emma in Montreal? If so, any recommendations?
Finally got around to watching "Adrift". Very nice opener Joe, very nice indeed. I've posted my thoughts here, if you wish to read them.
Joe, I just wanted to let you know that "Adrift" was AMAZING. I mean... wow. The cinematography, the acting, that nice tense moment between Sheppard and McKay where Rodney is about to lose it (and for once not in a humorous way -- not that there's anything wrong with that)... it was just great. Thanks for kicking ass.
Camera please. Your comfort is of centenary importance to the fans' desire to be entertained.
I vote for the harlequin. Chain mail is more AC-friendly, but harlequin is kinder to the joints and skin in case you have to take that end-of-party snooze at the bottom of the stairs.
As for the poll:
Question 1 - In your opinion, which of the following would your city defenses have a harder time withstanding:
a) a satellite death ray - where I live is in danger from this very thing, probably fifty years from now. It never hurts to be prepared.
Question 2 - In the event that the planet came under attack by an alliance of alien and mutant forces, what words might best describe your attitude to the calamitous events:
a) angry and vengeful - which is my response to most things that upset my day.
Question 3 - Your planetary governments have fallen and an example is to be made of the various world leaders. An appropriate punishment for daring to defy their superhuman overlords would be:
d) the filling out of endless mortgage applications - Oh God, no doubt about this one.
Question 4 - If you were to lose your job tomorrow as a result of an unforeseen global calamity, your existing skills would be best put to use:
a) policing your respective detention quadrant in service of your new planetary masters - I'd kill for this one.
Question 5 - “Given the choice, I would prefer Earth’s next ruler to be:
c) a laconic mutant with the ability to reanimate dead tissue and correctly identify any cheese on sight” - I like the cheese part.
Question 6 - “I would be most docile and cooperative if I were to be incarcerated in:
d) Australia” - Two words. Beer.
Question 7 - “If someone close to me were to have their brain switched out with a cybernetic implant capable of controlling the host body while monitoring and recording all dissentious conversation or activity, I would probably be the least suspicious of:
e) None of the above.
Questions 8 - A more appropriate name for Earth would be:
e) Rebeccaworld
Question 9 - Which of the following holidays do you observe?
f) A Bag Of Money Fell Out Of The Sky And Hit Rebecca Day. Why aren't you providing the obvious answers to these easy questions?
Question 10 - In the unlikely event we wished to hunt you down and eradicate you in our bid to clean up any loose ends prior to moving forward on the helpful information you’ve provided, where would be the best place to reach you?
a) Your home or office as you’ll be going about your daily business blissfully unaware of the gruesome fate that awaits you. - Who could possibly want to eradicate me?
Congratulations on another awesome season opener, and again for the wrap of what looks like a very fantastic season. I've just watched Adrift with several other enthusiastic fangirls down here in Wellington, New Zealand, and I think the general consensus is two thumbs up. Bring on Season 4!
But, speaking for myself, if I can catch you before you head out tonight, may I request a favour? If at all possible, could you please give David Nykl a huge hug from me, and tell him he looks quite fetching in that space suit? Thank you. :D
So when are you guys going to do something about i-tunes? The repeatedly post the episodes under the wrong names. And (here's why you should care) they have now posted an unaired episode under the name of "Adrift."
Hey Joe,
I absolutely loved Adrift. Great visuals and fantastic action and interaction of characters. I did want to let you know that iTunes does indeed have the new season up, unfortunately they have posted episode 4 instead of episode 1. Somebody at Scifi got some 'splanin to do.
Oh you better bring a camera!!
What would the night be without pictures to memorialize that which was totally awesome?
Another leaked (sort of) episode is out!! iTunes is selling Adrift, but you actually get Doppelganger!!! It is a great episode though!!! Can anything else go wrong?!?!?! At least someone makes money off of this, but not Sci-Fi who needs the ratings! Good thing is that this ep is good enough to watch again anytime.
What episode are those pictures from?
Congratulations on an excellent first episode - fans couldn't have wished for a better start to the season.
I think you deserve to just take the night off, leave the camera at home, and go and have a fabulous time. (Either that or whip out the camera once the booze has been drunk and use it as blackmail for contract negotiations - if you film a boozy xerox machine moment you might end up with free labour next year - hurrah!).
I wasn't able to watch the episode last night, so I thought I'd do the next best thing and download it from iTunes. I ordered the 'season pass' and got "Adrift". Unfortunately, when I started to watch it, it wasn't "Adrift" but "Doppelganger". I sent Apple a message and told them about the problem, so hopefully they will fix it soon. I want my "Adrift"!
Gwen
Defenestration is my favorite word in the English Dictionary by far-next to Masticate. I love the fact there are verbs for throwing something out the window, and that the names of some events in history contain said verb.
Adrift was Awesome! Looking forward to the rest of the season.
Having reviewed the evidence (on Wikipedia - taken with a grain of salt), I'm thinking I'd like to read Legion of the Damned and Lord Foul's Bane first. Can we do the others next? Cause they sound pretty tight, as well.
Looking forward to the pics of you in your chainmail. Or did you go with the harlequin ensemble? I'd pay double for those pics.
:D Skip
P.S. Did Baron Destructo get any replies?
Well, thanks to an iTunes error, I got to see Doppelganger tonight instead of Adrift. Mostly good episode-there was some stuff I didn't like, but overall I thought it was good. The whumpers will go nuts. Oh, and I think I like Keller-she was good in this episode.
Congratulations on a great SGA season premier!
Thanks to all involved.
Defenestration??? Very ominous. Which leads to my next question: are all humans fenestrated? hehe
I suggest the option of either bringing Lulu or the camera. The decision should be easy given her wandering tendencies, and WE (the royal we) will be most pleased with the resulting blog goodies. :)
Joe -- I really hope you get this comment and soon. I just downloaded what was supposed to be "Adrift" from iTunes, and when I went to watch it, they had given me "Doppleganger." iTunes has been *badly* screwing up SGA seasons 1 and 2 for a while now, mixing up the episodes. But this...is bad. I hope you can get someone to get it pulled ASAP.
Hi Joe
By the end of S4 will we know for sure if Sam and Jack are/have been together or not or will the status of their relationship remain ambiguous? And what do the non-fraternization regs say about relationships between military and civilian under their command?
Thank you for the Heweltt pics this entry! Gods, I feel like I'm doing the whole "saying grace" thing now every time I post, only over pictures instead of food!
Speaking of food, the folks and I did the Food & Wine festival over at EPCOT. (Before anyone chastises me, I behave in general on a daily basis, so I allowed myself to splurge a little today -- and yet my bloodsugar was still *fine* after! Yay!)
Mom started us off with Duo of Chocolate Truffles at the Champagne stand. I had a very tasty spicy-beef empanada in Argentina (which I had again before we left), while dad had their grilled beef with chimichurri sauce -- he wasn't so impressed. It started raining at this point, and rained on & off all day, alas. Oh the joys of Florida.
Mom had the quesadilla con chorizo from Mexico, which she liked so well she had it again later -- although when she had ordered it he first time, she apparently said "chicken and cheese", which was actually the chilaquiles, and was given the quesadilla insetad. So when she ordered the second time, she decided to use the "chicken and cheese" thing's name, and got the actual chilaquiles, which looked disgusting. Cue language barrier mess, as we tried to sort ot what she had ordered and what she *wanted*. How she couldn't tell the difference between chicken and chorizo in the first place is beyond me ....
I skipped Ireland's potato leek soup (which I susually have) in the interest of my bloodsugar. The folks had the apple strudel with vanilla sauce in Germany -- I don't care for it, but I have to admit it smelled great! I had the sausage and bellpeper pizza from italy, which was pretty unexceptional.
In Poland, I had the cabbage roll with spiced beef -- it was decent, but rather bland for something with "spiced" in its name! Dad had the keilbasa with potato peirogies -- he said the keilbasa was really good, as was this oniony-cabbage thing it was served on (not saurkraut, no idea whatit was), but wasn't impressed with the peirogies.
Mom had the BBQ pork rib with cole slaw in the US -- it didn't look very BBQ-y to me, but it looked tasty, and she really liked it. In Japan I had the crispy sakiyuki beef rolls, which was *really* good, and Takara Plum Wine (well, it ws a small portion, so I figured it wouldn't kill me), which was the best I've ever had, not too sweet, not too alcohol-heavy. Mom had Australia's "macadamia nut chocolate bar", which it turned out was actually a cocolate chip cookie with macadamia nuts.
I had the Oklahoma Three Sisters' Cafe buffalo with scalloped wild onions -- not bad. Mom had the Oklahoma Rose Rock Diner's "native peach buckle", essentially a corn muffin with peaches and nuts, which I tried a couple bites of -- it was *really* good!
The folks had the cheddar cheese soup in Canada (I skipped it, cause I don't like it without fries, and I figured that would be too many carbs), before we went back for the empanada and mom's chorizo. Yeah, okay, my palate's not as adventurous as yours, but this was the best festival in a few *years*! :)
Good luck with the ratings!! *crosses fingers* I finished my review on it for Pink Raygun a couple of hours ago -- 8 pages! I'm afraid my editor there might have kittens, as it seems most articles there are only a page or two!
Yeah sure, Joe, rub it in that while everone up in the northern hemisphere is enjoying 'Adrift', I'm sitting down here in Australia twiddling my thumbs and desperately trying to avoid major spoilers! XD
Ah well...have a great time at the wrap party while I pine pitifully...
I watched Adrift Live, with a group of friends and pizza! Good episode, and I'm hoping for a lot more great episodes.
Yes, take the camera to the wrap party! And that you very, very much for the pics in the blog today :)
I was wondering, you've practically got everything filmed and done before the season has started playing. Is this common?
Hello joseph =)!!
Super les photos et la videos ! Merci =)
Euhhh lol , c'est quoi ces drôle de questions? XD
Voici mes réponses lol XD:
1)a)
2)d)
3)c)
4)c) lol
5)c)
6)d) sa doite être jolie la bas =D
7)d) otch c'est sur.^^
8)d) ou France!soyon patriote lol!
9)d)
10)d)entre 3 champs de vignes.Dans l'endroit le plus, perdu du monde.
Voila =D lol, et sa sert a quoi tout sa?^^!
Je reposerais les même questions qu'hier:
1)Quand sera t'on l'audiance des épisodes du 28 septembre?
2)Vous aimez le sport?
3)Dans la saison 4, il y'aura beaucoup/un peu ou pas du tout de moment romantique ou fort en émotion entre Teyla et John?
Allez Kisou kisou! je vous aime grand comme la galaxie de pégase!! Merci, Bonne journée <3<3
Just wanted to say that I absolutely loved Adrift! The action, the drama, the character moments and the suspence... a well-balanced episode! Very, very exciting.
Congratulations to all of you for creating such a fantastic ep! Can't wait to see what happens in Lifeline!
Jenn
My vote is for Perdido Street Station.
And you and everyone else were right! The VFX on Adrift were top notch. Currently can't wait to see next week's episode-the promo looked well awesome.
Congrats to everyone again for a great job.
Hope you have/had fun at the party Joe!
Just seen 'Adrift' and wanted to tell you I loved it. Good story telling, lots of wonderful tension, great special effects and fab acting.
Thanks to all involved for a great episode.
Nobody has said anything bad about the first episode so that is good.
Hope you enjoyed your party - and I hope that the pack did not trash the house whilst you were out.
Live long and prosper!
Harlequin or chainmail? No Joe, so not you.
Now if you were to say, raid Ba'al's closet, I'm sure you could find lots to wear!
First Joe, Let me say Congrats on your AU Tiggers beating Florida. That was HUGE! Second, Now that Most of the shows have premired, (I am not going to acknowledge the stupid caveman show), what are some of your recomendations for fall watching outside of SGA obviously? Thanks!
Oh and definetly Chainmail, it is manly, tough, but gives off that shimmer of sophistication!
On the book choice my votes are for The Legacy of Heorot and Perdido Street Station.
BoingBoing pointed to LSpace today for a great diagram of how the Pratchett books fit together (http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/)
Can't wait to read his latest one Making Money
WAHOUW adrift est un episode super!!!!
je voulais savoir qu'elle episode allait vous tourner cette semaine? Si c'est the last man, es ce que le personnage de weir sera là réellement ou techniquement?
Es ce que la première de SGA à bien marché côté audience?
ha oui, votre chienne va mieux?
Apparently iTunes accidentally released the episode "Doppelganger" under the name of "Adrift" on the iTunes Store and now quite a few people are downloading and watching it. What are your thoughts on this? I personally will wait until the episode actually airs.
I'm feeling bad for Legion of the Damned, so I'm changing my "ee-ther eye-ther or" vote to a vote for Legion of the Damned.
I've seen the spoilers for Doppelganger.
You and Mullie are going to go down as the people who killed the Stargate franchise in just one season. That's a nice addition to your resume, isn't it?
To all those looking for Legacy of Heorot, it is pretty widely available second hand on Amazon if you just follow the link.
Realised it was out of print when I tried to order it through the shop today.. my co-worker demanded that you be punished... but meh. Book clubs should be more challenging these days I say... ;)
Is it possible to vote twice? The more I learn about it, the more I vehemently do *not* want to read Lord Foul's Bane!
I hope you aren't planning to burden yourself with a camera for the evening purely on our account!
Fingers crossed that the numbers will be good on Monday!
Mary
Hi Joe
First time poster.
Just wanted to say I love SGA and I loved Adrift and I am very much looking forward to season 4 and hopefully a season 5.
So I just wanted to let you know ITunes is allowing people to download Doppleganger and some are also now saying The Seer. As someone who wants to see good ratings for season 4 this can't be good.
Sue
Have a great time at the party Joe! :)
I really hope you decided to bring your camera. I'm looking forward to reading your blog about the wrap party!
Sabina :)
Congrats on such a banging start of Season 4!!! Loved IT, LOVED it, LOVED IT!!! Highlights: Ronon sulking in the background and dragging the IV behind him during McKay/Sheppard confrontation/apology; and the great chasm jump of Zelenka and Sheppard, with a beautiful wrap around shot :)
I loved ADRIFT!!! Awesome job by everyone. Especially loved Ronan quiet scene where he thanked Elizabeth for letting him stay. That made me teary eyed.
Please pass on my thanks to everyone for a great ep.
Here are my answers:
1. d) an army of ill-tempered robot chimps (which I will reprogram..um..when I learn how)
2. a) angry and vengeful (ya think?)
3. b) defenestration Definitely this one…but not sure which definition of defenestration I would go with: 1. a throwing of a person or thing out of a window OR
2. a usually swift dismissal or expulsion (as from a political party or office)
I guess it depends on which political leader we are talking about! ;-D
4. d) providing a mind template for an army of cyber-ferrets (Cool...I will take immediate command of them)
5. c) a laconic mutant with the ability to reanimate dead tissue and correctly identify any cheese on sight. (I like cheese)
6. d) Australia (I've always wanted to visit)
7. d) a household pet (better than a human...hmmm my goldfish looks a bit suspicious)
8. d) Chicago (I am originally from there so I'm good with it)
9. e) Arbor Day (everyone loves trees...at least Farrah Fawcett did in Cannonball Run! *smirk*)
10. c) Under the protection of the irksome Captain Spectacular and his do-gooder Confederacy of Justice sidekicks. (I want a super hero name too!)
Well, as you can see I picked the least repulsive of the answers. My world would be pretty cool that way! ;-P
*imagine the most pathetic wave in the world*
*sobs*
"Killdeer said...
Well, thanks to an iTunes error, I got to see Doppelganger tonight instead of Adrift. Mostly good episode-there was some stuff I didn't like, but overall I thought it was good. The whumpers will go nuts. Oh, and I think I like Keller-she was good in this episode."
*sobs again* They all watched it and squeed their little hearts out... i'm the only one not to have seen it. :(
*sobs*
Sorry, Joe, i'm pathetically miserable today. :(
Hey Joe, just repeating my question from yesterday since there was no mailbag.
I was watching Adrift again and spotted something. In the asteroid scene, Sheppard instructs McKay, Bolton and Levine to break off and go around for another pass. Is "Levine", by any chance, named after dear Alex? Because if so, that is really awesome and sweet.
Dang Wolfen! Next time you go to Epcot for the food and wine festival let me know...I'm going with you. Now I'm really hungry!!!
*roots through fridge...aww..nothing as good as Epcot! Ooooh...cheese!*
I just wanted to tell you that I really, really, really love what I've seen of S4 so far.
I was naughty and saw the uncut versions of Adrift and Lifeline. Bad me, but they really made me excited for the aired versions. I watched Adrift live (and loved it even more!) and will do the same with Lifeline.
I also was a poor, unfortunate soul who bought Doppleganger on i!Tunes early, and wow, Joe! This was an awesome episode. There was not one thing in this ep that I didn't like. No, make that love.
Everyone was great, especially Joe F. Loved it all. I laughed and gasped and was weirded out and grieved. Total viewing pleasure for this fan.
Anyway, I know you've taken some flack for the changes, and people are already grumbling about aspects of the show they dislike coming to light, but I just wanted to tell you that I'm so pleased so far, and can't wait for the rest.
Thanks!
Anonymous said...
I've seen the spoilers for Doppelganger.
You and Mullie are going to go down as the people who killed the Stargate franchise in just one season. That's a nice addition to your resume, isn't it?
Good lord... could you climb down off that high horse for just one minute? :/
How about you maybe even wait and see the episode before you condemn it (and the entire season) out of hand based merely on spoilers?
In "Adrift", was the lettering on the front of Zelenka's spacesuit meant to be reversed, or was that a blooper?
(Not that it matters much, but I've been wondering if anyone else had noticed it.) Still a fantastic opener to the new season, regardless.
Hey, Joe,
I just finished watching Prodigy. I always rather liked that episode and Proving Ground. Cadet Hailey has always been one of my favorites. I noticed you and Paul Mullie wrote the episode and just wanted to send my compliments. I think you guys did a great job!
Sue Said...
Hi Joe
First time poster.
Just wanted to say I love SGA and I loved Adrift and I am very much looking forward to season 4 and hopefully a season 5.
So I just wanted to let you know ITunes is allowing people to download Doppleganger and some are also now saying The Seer. As someone who wants to see good ratings for season 4 this can't be good.
Sue
Someone joked that when iTunes goes to sell Lifeline next week, they will probably put up The Seer and not that it has been released. The only explanation is that Doppelganger was the first episode filmed and probably had a 401 production number on the file. Nobody checked that it was Adrift so Doppelganger got released instead.
another random comment: i saw this kid today who i swear was a blonde two-year-old version of sheppard. it was kinda weird.
Hi Joe!
Great pics today (as usual), as well as nice vid of Martin W. He's so cool. :)
I hope you choose/chose the harlequin outfit. I'm sure it would be the hit of the party!
I've only skimmed the comments about Adrift, as I'm trying to reduce my spoiler calories. Sounds like it was a big hit!! I'm thrilled that I have even more great SGA to look forward to!
If you choose to take your camera, it would be appreciated by me and others, but only if it won't be an albatross for you!
Tell Baron Destructo his survey was both terrifying and totally hilarious! If I had to choose my "demise," it would be by defenestration in my home, as it is a one-story building. Hopefully, they'll allow me to remove the screen beforehand.
Party on, Joe!
eddy, still known as Jill_Ion
YAY! I vote that Geek Tossing becomes the next Olympic event.
Way to go on season four, heavy on the Elizabeth whumpage, the fanfic writers are gonna be all of a tiswas doing post-adrift codas, the Shweirs and Mcweirs will be battling it out at fanfiction.net.
Thank heavens for long dark nights and no social life LOL. Looking forward to more of this exquisite torture.
photos would be nice, but if it's that much of a drag to take the camera, just go have fun and be sure to tell us all about it
Bring the camera and give us a good show. My review on Adrift is in my blog. Hope you have/had fun and look forward to tonight's pics and video.
Alipeeps said...
Anonymous said...
I've seen the spoilers for Doppelganger.
You and Mullie are going to go down as the people who killed the Stargate franchise in just one season. That's a nice addition to your resume, isn't it?
Good lord... could you climb down off that high horse for just one minute? :/
How about you maybe even wait and see the episode before you condemn it (and the entire season) out of hand based merely on spoilers?
September 30, 2007 10:01:00 AM PDT
You can be all "I love everything you do" towards JM, but when an entire show worth of people is out of work because of some very stupid decisions, which he had a part in, I doubt they'll be too thrilled with him.
How come you have to wait until Monday to find out the ratings for "Adrift"? In the past I remember them coming out over- night. Is it because you're up against premiere week now and it takes longer?
Anonymous said...
You can be all "I love everything you do" towards JM, but when an entire show worth of people is out of work because of some very stupid decisions, which he had a part in, I doubt they'll be too thrilled with him.
The first and worst argument someone can use in the
"I don't like this, so no one should" situation is the
"Since you like something I don't, you love everything Person X does, and you are unable to see any flaws in Person X."
You think by using that argument you can dismiss anything the person who disagrees with you says. But you are incorrect.
It's a bullcrap argument and only attempts to put the person on the defensive. It does not prove anything, but instead shows a flaw in your ability to defend/explain your point of view.
I wish only the best for everyone working on SGA, however long it lasts and beyond. Your posts give the impression that you wish to be proven right, up to the point of the entire production crew being unemployed.
Where's the good in that?
Looks like iTunes can't quite tell which episode is which - all to the good for us fans. I just dowloaded and watched "Doppelganger" from them and may I just say - excellent! Adrift was amazing as well (the actual episode - not a switch hit ep..heh). I really like the character of Dr. Keller (Jewel Staite is so good in that role) and Joe F. has really stepped up his acting to a higher level this season it seems - he's doing such a great job. Everyone is, actually, so please pass along our appreciation to various and sundry for the outstanding work they're doing. It looks like it's gonna be one hell of a ride this year.
Anonymous said
You can be all "I love everything you do" towards JM, but when an entire show worth of people is out of work because of some very stupid decisions, which he had a part in, I doubt they'll be too thrilled with him.
We have a very apt saying where I come from
"Here's fifty pence get yourself a life"
(NB/ Dollar and or any low denomination of currency can be substituted here)
How very vitriolic we are feeling today Anon, is that because Adrift is being well received and perhaps your sooth saying days are over "Oh woe is you"
Happy note watching MacGyver dressed as a priest enough to turn this atheist back to religion…nar!
Hope the party rocked last night.
Pauline
Hi Joseph,
I would like to know , if Lulu will be play for one atlantis episode ?
After to be a mannequin, she can be an actrice :-) !!
That is possible to have a picture with Lulu and Amanda ? we have never saw her together ... that is a Challenge !!
I was really excited to download "Adrift" from iTunes, but another season four episode downloaded instead:( Thankfully it was a stand alone episode.
Hi Joe!
Is there any chance that MGM will release new OST albums? Joel Goldsmith makes such good work, that an SG-1 season 9-10 album with the different Ori and Vala themes or an Atlantis season 2-3 album could be a great success.
Platschu
Hi Joe, congrats on the S4 premiere for Atlantis. Living in NZ, we have yet to see the second half of S3, but I can't wait - the dvd have been released here, so might go and buy it.
Rrmf writes: “Joe, have you read Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast trilogy?”
Answer: I read the first two and a half books in the trilogy.
You are brave!! I read 2 pages, then hired the video of the BBC production, but could only watch 30 minutes before giving up. Sadly, it was required reading for my fantasy world paper at uni.
With a pile of mending and sewing to do over the weekend, I put S1 SGA in the dvd player and had a great time.
As always thanks for the pics and videos.
I have to answer question 1!
Question 1 - In your opinion, which of the following would your city defenses have a harder time withstanding:
a) a satellite death ray
b) a scourge of flesh-eating centipedes
c) memory-manipulating digital signals
d) an army of ill-tempered robot chimps
I would have to say B. As I live in a resort beach community, we have more sunblock than any one town needs, so I am sure that the death ray would not be a problem. As for the ill-tempered robot chimps, they are no different than the stupid tourists that we deal with daily! Memory-manipulating digital signals, please don’t throw me in that brier patch. Did you develop that technology yourself or is that something I can pick up at K-Mart?
Thanks for the laugh! I needed that!
Oh, dear! It would seem that someone has it out for ya'll! I knew Loki would be back to cause trouble!!!!
Anyhow, just wanted to let you know that I'm gradually exposing my roommate to more and more Stargate. On Friday, I showed Rising to her. Today, she asked (without any sort of prompting), "Can we watch an episode?" (I was so delightedly surprised, I nearly fell from my chair) So, we watched Children of the Gods. Her response: "Oh, wow. That is really good!!" I just might have another fan in the making, after all...
Oh! Speaking of which--one of my other friends is now addicted to Atlantis. (Though, she has yet to watch SG-1 yet, as she doesn't currently have the time to become addicted to a show with quite so many episodes...)
Coucou Joe,
aimez-vous le vent?
Merci pour votre réponse!
Anonymous said...
You can be all "I love everything you do" towards JM, but when an entire show worth of people is out of work because of some very stupid decisions, which he had a part in, I doubt they'll be too thrilled with him.
Oooh.. can I borrow that time machine of yours to skip forward a few weeks and watch Travelers? Cheers muchly! :)
Hi Joe,
Well first of all, I was blown away by the Season 4 premiere "Adrift". Great job all around. As per the ratings you mentioned. I just found out the network's leader Eureka scored only a 1.2 last tuesday, down from a 1.8. Do you think this will benefit Atlantis when the network looks towards a renewal? I figured since SGA was averaging a 1.2 for the 2nd half and Eureka fell down to that number those number are really not bad anymore. Thanks.
P.S. If I told you what Flash Gordon has been averaging you may be even more hopeful. :p
Post a Comment