To all those of you wondering whether I’ll be continuing this blog after production on the show ends, the short answer is “Yes.” The long answer is “Yes, I will.” After all, I wouldn’t want to disappoint the many readers that check in here on a regular basis who may not necessarily be Stargate fans. I did a little research and was surprised by the results. The 4000 or so visitors who drop by this site consistently break down as follows:
5%: Foodies.
7%: Obsessed chocolate fans.
9%: Minions of Baron Destructo.
10%: People I know checking in to make sure I’m writing/not writing about them.
12%: Stargate fans
13%: Fans of Cookie Monster.
14%: Varied interests.
30%: Individuals who have come across my blog by accidentally following a link (ie. A browser search for “Young People F**king” or any variation thereof).
So there you have it. I’ll continue to provide you all with entertaining blog entries. Starting tomorrow as I’ve been feeling under the weather the past few days and haven’t really been in an entertaining mood. It may just be, as Marty G. suggests, nothing more than the “end of season collapse”, my mind telling my body “Finally, it’s over! It’s okay to be sick!”. Maybe. And depending on how long this lasts, I may call in some help in the coming days. Both Baron Destructo and Cookie Monster have expressed interest in assuming blogger duties for a day or two. We’ll see how it goes.
To all those of you asking - we didn’t receive the +3 ratings on Friday as I assumed we would. For some reason no one is able to explain to me, we won’t receive said numbers until Monday or Tuesday. So, stay tuned.
Today’s pics: Our last day of shooting.
Today’s video: Click on the date to see Joe F. skateboard off into the sunset on our last day of shooting.
Today’s mailbag:
Charles Schneider writes: “Can you tell us anything about the pilot scripts you'd be working on, or are they top secrect?”
Answer: For now, they are hush-hush.
Cat writes: “Are you looking forward to the West Coast Chocolate Festival?”
Answer: Ooooh. Thanks for the tip.
Morgia a ecrit: “As-tu déjà visité le Québec?”
Answer: Je suis né à Montréal.
Herbert writes: “Joe, I have to admit that though I knew Carl Binder as soon as I saw him, I cannot remember the name of the other man to whom you introduce d me.”
Answer: I believe that was Alan McCullough.
Herbert also writes: “Let's say I have a detailed idea for a sci-fi/fantasy story. What medium would make me the most money?”
Answer: That’s a tough question to answer. It really depends as certain properties lend themselves better to specific mediums.
Joe and the Crew’s fan writes: “What if we want to send a "Wooohooo Stargate's Ratings are an all time high" giftbasket? will it still get to you before expiration date at Bridge Studios?”
Answer: Yup. The production offices will be open for a while.
Kath in Baltimore writes: “I'm a huge Hong Kong movie fan! I cut my teeth on the Jackie Chan/Sammo Hung/Yuen Biao comedies, but love all those others you mentioned too. Do you prefer the comedies, the far out fantasy style, or the dramatic shoot 'em ups?”
Answer: I liked ‘em all, from the Steven Chow comedies like Shaolin Soccer and From Beijing with Love to the Tsui Hark fantasies like A Chinese Ghost Story and Dragon Inn to John Woo and Ringo Lam’s dramatic shoot ‘em ups.
ARF writes: “McKay can rewrite the Replicator basecode, but conveniently he can't find the schematics or research materials on how to make ZPMs?”
Answer: You find it convenient that McKay can rewrite the replicator base code (something he, and Earth’s scientists, have been studying since we first encountered the replicator) but hasn’t stumbled across everything he needs to help him manufacture his own ZPM? Seriously? How about the fact that he hasn’t found enough personal shields to outfit the entire Atlantis expedition?
ARF also writes: “Suspend disbelief for one action, but not another because that would get rid of a lot of the problems the characters face every episode.”
Answer: Well, in the original version of the Atlantis pilot, Sheppard and co. learn everything they need to know to defeat the wraith. But it turned out that made the ensuing episodes surprisingly less dramatic.
Tepring writes: “In your opinion, as an industry insider, do you think the producers will go different routes to find financial resources and new venues for their shows, sidestepping distributers like SciFi, NBC, etc. altogether? Or will the distributers/networks absorb the new ways audiences are behaving and drive the innovation to monetize those differently?”
Answer: Producers are already actively seeking out new venues for their shows (ie. the internet, on demand programming, direct-to-dvd options) and they will continue to do so. As for the networks - they are looking at ways to adjust to changing face of technology as well.
Anonymous #1 writes: “To hell with leaving things open to everyone's interpretation.”
Answer: I haven’t a clue what you’re referring to. I’m guessing the ending to The Sopranos?
Smiley Face06 writes: “According to Alex Levine's blog on SciFi.com, you'll be going to Chris Judge's Halloween party as Heart Burn. Is that true?”{
Answer: That’s the plan. Heartburn’s signature move (the fisted chest pound) is simple enough to master. Ivon Bartok may have a harder time with Diarrhea’s more complicated maneuver.
Libsechumanist writes: “Joe - I'm a bit at a loss with some of your blog posters, the anti-Season 4 folks - I assume they are "SaveCarsonBeckett" folks…”
Answer: Given all of my past dealings with the SaveCarsonBeckett folk, I would assume that just the opposite. They may not be happy with certain changes to the show and have made that perfectly clear, but I have never heard of one actively campaigning against the show’s future.
Anonymous #2 writes: “So, what's your favorite Japanese, Chinese, Thai and Korean film?”
Answer: My favorite is a Japanese movie called Fudoh: The New Generation. Wild.
Charles Schneider writes: “I've heard Marty G. reference your advice during almost all of his DVD commentaries. Would you say that as his long-time boss (of sorts) you are also like a big brother or mentor to him in the production office?”
Answer: Big brother or mentor? Nah. I think all of the producers respect one another as equals.
AMZ writes: “Do you ever find it hard to give criticism to friends?”
Answer: Quite the opposite actually. It’s much easier and, at times, a lot of fun. Take that, Binder!
Anonymous #3 writes: “Personally, if I see anything I want to see Teyla/Ronon getting closer. I just don't see it with Teyla/Sheppard. & from what I understand they were meant to go on from the beginning. Now, I know you always say...WE HAVE NO SHIP. But come one Joe. lol. I just want to know..WHY you picked the two of them to be the love interest. && why not settle for the other pairing?”
Answer: Feel free to ask me this question again once you’ve actually seen season four. My guess is you won’t bother.
Steven Goldman writes: “ Joe, out of curiosity, would you read comics if they were mailed to you c/o Bridge during the hiatus, or would they not get to you?”
Answer: So long as they are not Stargate-related, sure I’d read ‘em.
Kdvb1 writes: “I can't believe you gave away Zelenka and McKay! (The goldfish)”
Answer: I can’t leave them at the office because I won’t be there and I can’ bring them home because Bubba has a knock for exploring new things about the house, so Krista and the visual effects department has kindly adopted them. Trust me. Zelenka and McKay are in far better hands.
Anonymous #4 writes: “I've noticed that quite a few fans are very down on McKay and the banter between Shep and McKay. Could you please touch on this?”
Answer: I’m not sure what, exactly, the criticism is with regard to the banter.
Dovil writes: “Does the network hold things like research groups and then use this to nudge the writers, or do they actually allow you to tell the stories that you want to tell?”
Answer: The network has always allowed us to tell the stories we want to tell, but has weighed in with input to ensure said stories are told as clearly and effectively as possible.

95 comments:
Today is my birthday! thanks very much for the gift of the cast & crew pic, I was really hoping to see that. And the video of Joe F. skateboarding. Commenting on your stats, I started reading this blog by way of Stargate, so it surprised and pleased me to find your blog alot of foodie & books as well, thanks for that too.
Season 4 is looking to be great- here's to reading your blog as you work on Season 5.
-Donna in FL
Hi Joe, thanks for the video clip - the skateboard looks so - 'Kewl' as my 15 yo niece would say; and the end of year photo is great too.
Well, at time of writing, Joe F is still scheduled to make an appearance at the Expo in Auckland, NZ in 2 weeks, I am hoping to be there. If so, and if I get chance to take photos, I will send you copies.
Now, go have something eat/drink something sinful and take care of yourself for a couple of days.
(((HUGS)))
Your blog demographic breakdown seems about right (although I didn't realise 4000 people visited regularly, nice one). But you missed out the all important percentage of people who like your blog because it's so funny. I'd say, with consideration to the overlapping of demographics, that would make up at least 80% of all the people here Joe.
And thanks for your comment on critiquing friends, I'll keep that in mind when I'm reading over things for friends. "Take that, Binder" will be my new critiquing motto.
hey joe i was wondering what type of camera do you use to take your photos? and are you a buff of photography?? I just picked up a Oylmpus E-330 and its a great camera but not somthing you would want to carry to all the restraunts you go to lol.
P.S. I see lots of mac computers lol.
Dustin
The Phoenix, from your pics, is awesome! How is Earth able to manufacture another ship that fast?
Hi Mr. M,
Thank you for showing some of the crew and production staff, especially that all in shot. These people do a lot of work and often get overlooked for the time and effort they put in to help make a show so many people love. The actors are important, but without these behind the scenes people, not much would happen.
Are these poor people now temporarily unemployed or is it likely they will step onto another studio and pick up without too much difficulty? Hopefully, their skills wont be unnoticed for too long.
Another series of questions if I may? Looking back at the scripts you have written for Stargate over the years, which was your favourite / most fun to write? Which one didn't turn out as well as you had hoped? What was the name of the first Stargate script you wrote and the name of the last (so far)? Which one didn't translate to film so well for you and which one turned out far better than you imagined? Which was the most difficult to write?
Lastly, have you ever thought of directing or can you not get your voice as high as Martin Wood when he screams out "ACTION!" :)
Great last video off the set; now when you return for season 5 (fingers crossed) you can show Joe skateboarding back into the set :)
Hah, so I am not the only one celebreating their birthday with that awaesome cast and crew photo AND the news that we'll still be able to read your blog over the hiatus. Things cannot get much better than that.
Honestly, I started read this blog looking for David Nykl photos. Really. But I stay for the food, books and snark. Thank you, sir, and I hope to be seeing a cast and crew photo at the end of S5.
Were you one of the 2.7/7 (7.29 million) that tuned in to see the Bayou Bengals - Fighting Tigers of LSU - whump on University of Florida Gators? GEAUX TIGERS!
Joe: "Trust me. Zelenka and McKay are in far better hands."
Oh. Well, that's very different. Never mind.
*said in Emily Litella voice* ;~P
I hope you get some time to enjoy your break!
Kimberly
It seems like the Stargate franchise has a long history of promoting from within. Being someone who's taken on a lot of additional responsibilities during your long tenure, who do you see as the new up-and-comers in the production office?
Thanks for the confidence in SaveCarsonBeckett, Joe. We as a campaign are very much hoping for a Season 5 for Carson to return to. :) We've never asked people to stop watching the show, quite the opposite as the SCB thread on GW will show. So it's not us hoping for cancellation, not at all!
It seems after every change to a show, some section of fans becomes bitter enough to want it canceled, to validate their criticisms. I find that a rather cruel outlook, but it seems pretty common.
Here's to your health and thanks for continuing to blog!
Say it ain't so, Joe!!
On your list of people who read your blog you forgot one important group ... Dog Lovers!
I enjoy reading about the occasional anecdotes about Lulu and your Pack o' Pugs. Please don't stop!
What does the black dog in the photograph do? Is he your messenger or, maybe, your food tester.
Give the pack a hug from me and the kitties.
Great Cast Photo and an awesome video! Thanks so much Joe! I hope you start feeling better and have a great Thanksgiving!
Cheers!
Sabina :)
That's good to hear about the networks! When directors have to change their films because of test audiences I think there's a huge risk of the end product being easy to digest but bland for it. And hey, if a company that invests millions is able to trust that you guys know what your doing, I think we fans can sit back and perhaps ease up a tad on the production notes in caps of woe and rage. :)
I would guess that your job isn't the most stress free so I'm not surprised that your feeling a bit blah at the moment. Just eat obsessive amounts of chocolate - sure, the resulting morbid obesity might be a downer but think of all the serotonin.
If your not like a big brother to Marty G would you say that your more like an Auntie or more like a second cousin's twice removed neighbours mailman?
Nice breakdown of your readership. I initially started off just as a Stargate fan, but now I read it because I find it entertaining. :)
Where are you located in the cast picture?
I had a question concerning the dogs - I myself am the proud mother / step stool of a Pomeranian/Beagle mix (she looks more Pom than Beagle).
Anyway, Sandy has the amazing ability to snore so loud that you think a bear has taken residence in the house - do you have this problem with Jelly, Bubba, Lulu or Maximus?
hi, joe,
wonderful cast photo!:D
i have a question regarding that: who's the blond gentleman sitting next to amanda?
~keeps fingers and toes crossed for a season 5 pickup~
sally :D
Joe,
You should draw more attention to the comment a few days back about HeyNielsen.com - I just logged on to do my part, and their Top Ten vote getters in the All category include SG:A (at #1 with more than twice the votes of the next item), JF and DH at 7 and 8, and SG-1 at 9. Clearly this has to count for something...
Is there an address where fans can send stuff (champagne bottles, tissue boxes, etc.) to Sci Fi to encourage them to keep the lights on in the gate room for season 5?
Please answer my question. Is Jacob Carter showing up on Atlantis or in the movies, Continuum or Ark of Truth? Thanks!
Hi Joe,
Just wanted to say thanks to you and crew for all your hard work on SG-Atlantis. I watch the show on regular cable on the east coast.
I read your reply to the anti-interracial John/Teyla inquiry (plz, just calling it what it is) …. So, I wanted to let you know that I appreciate whatever JT moments I do get to glimpse on the show, whether they are just talking to each other or just in proximity to each other… thanks.
________
Anyway, after watching Lifeline, it occurred to me that none of the SG-A teammates stopped to ask, “WHY didn’t the Ancients execute the program command for the Replicators to attack the Wraiths?” What gave the Ancients pause? Was it the thought of what would happen if the Replicators replicated Wraiths? How would you tell a replicated Wraith from a real Wraith? Was there an anti-Wraith replication program within the attack command to make sure no Wraiths were “replicated,” while encountering the Wraiths? Why would a non-Wraith replication command be paramount? Because Wraiths are self regenerating and a replicated Wraith is nothing short of a PRESSERVED Wraith, who once fully regenerated would have a full self conscience separate of nannite programming. Wouldn’t nannite “backed-up” Wraiths be even harder to kill than non-nannited Wraiths?
Was executing the Replicator attack command on the Wraiths, pre-mature?
_____
Teyla’s baby… ok Joe you KNOW people are flipping sideways about who is the “baby daddy.” I have read several theories:
1.) It’s a Wraith baby, possibly a Queen Wraith;
2.) It’s an embryonic experiment concerning Micheal;
3.) It’s John’s baby with the Ancient gene and the Wraith gene; and
4.) It’s an anonymous Athosian guy’s baby Teyla decides to procreate with to preserve the Athosian race after her people are discovered missing.
Are any of these theories on the mark? If so, would you mind taking away at least one that you know is NOT?
:)
Again, thanks Joe and congratulations.
...Eboni
Joe,
When you buy a book....
Hard cover or paperback?
If it is a series or author I know, I usually go for hard cover. But if it is a new author or the start of a new series I'm not sure about yet, I'll go with paperback because it's cheaper.
If money were no object, I'd go hardback all the way.
How about you?
SMB_BOOKS
Ohhh my god. Thank you so much for the Flanigan skateboarding clip! I still think you should write a Sheppard & Ronon bonding moment where they skateboard through Atlantis. Of course, that'd be a jump the shark moment... oh well.
I... guess I can't say I'm surprised that you've watched so many Chinese films- Fondy's Chinese, right? Have you ever seen Infernal Affairs with Tony Leung, Eric Tsang, and Andy Lau? I'm guessing you've seen the American remake (The Departed). Which one did you like more and why?
Please answer my question. Is Jacob Carter showing up on Atlantis or in the movies, Continuum or Ark of Truth? Thanks!
Uh, Jacob died a few seasons ago.
I read your reply to the anti-interracial John/Teyla inquiry (plz, just calling it what it is)
The severe dislike of the John/Teyla "pairing" has nothing to do with racial issues. First, he is way to old for her, and second, they are both stiff as boards around each other and don't even seem to like each other half the time. Ronon and Teyla at least laugh together. That would also be considered a "racial" pairing, but at least they seem like they enjoy each other's company.
Don't worry, the show is going to be renewed.
Why is Sam's hair breaking Airforce regs in this pic?
http://bp0.blogger.com/_bu0vVgPPyEs/RwloFGtJePI/AAAAAAAAFGE/TE8McvTObjk/s1600/DSC01686.JPG
Hi Joe, Lifeline was bittersweet for me. It was a good episode, but I don't like it that Weir is gone. If you can, let Torri know she has a fan in Texas, and that she will be missed.
Cher Joe,
Merci, merci, merci, merci et encore merci ! Tout d'abord pour nous laisser "jeter" un coup d'oeil sur les coulisses d'une production (j'adore la photo de famille de votre équipe, elle m'a, pour des raisons que je ne m'explique pas très bien, beaucoup émue !) et ensuite, pour faire en sorte que la série SGA continue d'exister : je n'ai pas la télévision ce qui fait de moi un "ovni" ici en France (et ailleurs aussi sans doute) et c'est la seule série TV sous laquelle je suis tombée sous le charme, je serai désolée de ne plus retrouver ce rendez-vous hebdomadaire. Keep on the good work !
Valérie (Rieval)
A rather well-written criticism of just why the loss of Weir has bigger ramifications for SGA than the obvious...
http://scifi.about.com/od/stargate/a/sga_s4premiere.htm
Elizabeth said...
" Please answer my question. Is Jacob Carter showing up on Atlantis or in the movies, Continuum or Ark of Truth? "
Elizabeth, Why are you expecting to see Jacob ? He died a few years ago. Or did I miss something.
hi, joe,
will sam ever talk about replicarter to the sga team because of what's happened to weir?
sally :)
Hi Joe
Well I guess I fall into several categories on your list.. I'm a stargate fan.. I love your book reviews.. and I love your great sense of humor which is usually showcased with terrific writing skills.. When will you know that there will be a 5th season?
Anyway just wanted to drop by and wish you a great Thanksgiving Day.
Take care
Dori
Argh! The combined suspense of waiting to hear about Hewlett 2.0's arrival and the final ratings numbers is killing me!! *whimper*
Thanks for the pics -- love the cast & crew shot! Hope you're feeling better!
"I read your reply to the anti-interracial John/Teyla inquiry (plz, just calling it what it is)
The severe dislike of the John/Teyla "pairing" has nothing to do with racial issues. First, he is way to old for her, and second, they are both stiff as boards around each other and don't even seem to like each other half the time. Ronon and Teyla at least laugh together. That would also be considered a "racial" pairing, but at least they seem like they enjoy each other's company."
Nice answer to that question, anonymous. People shout racism every time you say you don't like Shep and Teyla together. They're just searching for something to jump up and down about.
A lot of us looked at that cave scene in Rising and cringed. Yes, it was truly cringeworthy. Joe and Rachel, while I'm sure they're wonderful people and good friends, have ZERO chemistry together.
Joe and Torri or Rachel and Jason on the other hand -- bucketloads of chemistry.
Go and look at the Lifeline thread, JM. Even people who've never seen it before can see both of those 'ships' in that episode.
Joe's take on John's concern about Elizabeth was beautiful, as was the scene between Teyla and Ronon in Elizabeth's office.
If you're smart, you'll bring her back. The sooner the better. Though obviously it won't be soon enough to help with ratings this year.
Joe,
There is severe like and outright fandom for J/T... just in case you didn't know. Gateworld has a trememdous thread on J/T appreciation, which includes links to J/T appreciation sites and contests.
However, whatever you and the writers have decided as their fate, we won't have a problem with moving on. The tension between J/T is deliciously tasteful... kudos.
:)
...Eboni
You made me feel even more exhausted than I already am reading about how tired you are D=. I'm up to 12 hour days doing an internship on top of preparing for trial after trial at my real job.
Now I'm thinking maybe I shouldn't have gone to that meeting in South San Francisco tonight. *shrivels*
Is there any significance in the fact that David Hewlett is sitting front and centre in the photo, while the lead actor in the show is off in a corner, or was it just an accident? (No, I'm not trying to start yet another war among fan factions, just wondering.)
If Stargate Atlantis does get picked up for a fifth season (for which I have everything crossed that will do so), I have just one, itty-bitty, teeny-tiny, minuscule request. Just one and it’s even an easy one. Will someone please teach Joe Flanigan how to render a proper, regulation United States military salute? It makes me cringe and grind my teeth every time he gives that sloppy, disrespectful, sorry excuse for a salute (and I’m not the only fan of the show who has that reaction, I’ve spoken with several others). John Sheppard may be a slouchy, snarkastic, laid back guy, and a fictional character to boot, but he’s still a commissioned officer in the United States Air Force. Good grief, I’ll even find a copy of Air Force Manual 36-2203 and send it to you! I’m retired Army, but I’m sure I can find someone to obtain a copy for me, or, since the internet seems to be the way to go these days and you may prefer that, here’s a link to a copy. It’s on an ROTC site, but there is a good photo of a properly rendered salute on page 22 and a written description of it on the bottom of page 21 and the top of page 22. Please, out of respect for those who serve and have served, everywhere, not just in the US military.
http://www.rpi.edu/dept/afrotc/www/docs/drillmeet/afman36-2203.pdf
Don’t get me wrong, I love LTC Sheppard, but...just...argh. Please?
salut joe,je voulais juste te dire: POURQUOI? pourquoi avoir remplacer weir par carter? Je ne comprend pas c'est injuste!!! weir est la laeder d'atlantis.
Il ne faudrait pas comfondre SGA/SG-1!!
va t-on la revoir pour la seconde partie de la saison?
PLEASE respond me!!! THANKS.(2X)
Yes, thank you for posting the cast and crew photo (was wondering if you were going to).
And still looking for that item you promised to send. Darn mail. :)
savez vous quand Sci-fi vous dira si vous devez produire une saison 5??
Comment allez vous faire si les acteurs sont pris par d'autres projets??
please pick up my question
how do you do if actors are engaged in anothers show or movies if you want to prudoce a season 5?
do you think that we can wait a season 5? because the season four seems to be very good
Hey Joe. I know that the audience figures for somewhere like New Zealand don't make any difference as to whether you'll get the go ahead for a fifth season. However, if the worst happened and you didn't get it (hoping that this does not happen, of course), would the audience figures for places outside the US combined with the purchase of DVDs worldwide (I'm helping in this - I've got mine, although they were on damn good specials) help in convincing MGM to complete SGA with DVD movies in the same way that you have done with The Ark of Truth? I'm assuming of course that The Last Man was left somewhat open, like Unending.
Sorry to not include this question with the previous post. Do you have any idea as to why we are so slow getting SGA in New Zealand? As I said previously, I bought the DVDs, including the newly released third season, so I have seen up to First Strike. However, until that came out we have been left waiting by Prime at the end of The Return Part 1. Do you have any idea why they're so slow? I'm just worried that the fourth season will have been played out fully before we even reach the end of the third in NZ.
Hi Joe!
Great cast & crew photo just like one big happy family. And lovely video of JoeF skateboarding into the sunset. Thanks!
I’m pleased to hear that you will be continuing your blog despite production being over for the season. It would have been greatly missed otherwise.
As for next season, I’m still confident that SGA will be renewed. It had better be or there is going to be one heck of a lot of very angry fans. So when will those all-important ratings for ‘Lifeline’ be known? Will you post them please and what was the final figure for ‘Adrift’?
Good luck and enjoy your down time.
Oh, that lovely end-of-the-season crud that seems to creep through the entire cast and crew. Such a joy!
I used to do this at the end of every college semester. They've actually studied this phenomenon. You are not alone.
So if your body is telling you to stop for a few days, then go ahead and do so. And we'll await your return in the interim.
Enjoy what I am sure is a nice break. (I refuse to think otherwise.)
Who will be looking after the baby turtles over the holiday period?
You could just beam them up/over to Scotland and I will care for them.
Susan
Hey Joe!
Just wanted thank you for a fab visit - I really didn't want to come home! Thank you also for the lovely comments - my mum is very proud! Have a lovely holiday, feel better and don't forget to let me know as soon as you hear something about renewal, I've got my fingers crossed, but I don't think you'll need it!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
emma
Answer: Feel free to ask me this question again once you’ve actually seen season four. My guess is you won’t bother.
Sanssong's response to this at GW is that after reading the casting sides and getting info from the scripts, John/Teyla will consumate their everlasting love and it will be done in such a way as to make everyone accept it, and embrace it, which is why no one will bother asking pithy questions about other shippy pairings.
Since she has now dumped the "I really don't have a source" and is outright discussing her source in public, how does that make you feel? Are there ways to hunt for leaks and fire responsible people? Honestly, if the writers are going in this "love" direction, kiss the audience goodbye. I don't know anyone who wants to see John and Teyla declare their undying love for each other. Season 5, John and Teyla's beautiful wedding? Yecch.
Yay! Lulu's in the picture too! Who does the big black dog belong to? Is that you with your hand up on the side of your head. Is that the day that you whacked your head on the trunk of your car?
I came originally because of Stargate, but I stay because of great writing, food reviews, snark and general good fun. Love the blog ;)
*waves*
Hey Joe!
I notice that the three main trouble-makers have managed to get in pretty much front and center on that cast/crew pic!! I wonder if that was planned...*ponderponder* *grin*
I reckon that you've got the end-of-show blues - it's kinda like a writer having end-of-story blues. Good food, some fun and a lotta laughs always do the trick! That and plenty of hugs (but don't suggest that too loudly - don't want you getting pug-piled! *grin*)
Shep/Teyla...I don't know about anyone else...but anytime I've realised I'm attracted to someone I find it hard to talk to them, don't know how to behave with them, - gets real complicated. *shrug* Don't see how Shep is too old for Teyla though...we don't know their comparative ages do we? *scratches head in confusion*
Anyways...I'm glad you're gonna keep up with te blog, Joe. My day just wouldn't be as interesting without having a giggle over a cuppa and a quick perusal of your latest snark-tastic musings. *hug*
Dreams
Interesting break down. Even more so that I fit into several. Glad you'll be here for us on the "off season" cause we are additcted to your blog! Thanks for the many days of laughter and you rock Mr. M!!
Hiya,
Im really loving the new season! It has a really fresh feel, I love that there is more character interaction, them eating meals together and what not ^^ and the upcoming episodes look great!
I live in Australia so ive had to watch them on the net so I cant contribute to ratings which suck, but i'll buy the dvds XD
Joe, I just wanted to let you know I have been reading your blog for months now and to tell you I have been thoroughly entertained it's given me many laughs, your efforts to remain civilised and for the most part polite has been refreshing. Just remind those who comment about cast changes that we watch Stargate for the fantasy, for the unreal situations. My cousin died last week aged 50, it wasn't fair but it happens in life, I blame the bomb for getting rid of Carson, not the writers. Enjoy the show for what it is, a fantastical voyage away from our otherwise mundane lives...Enjoy your break, you deserve it Joe.
Hi Joe,
Are we going to find out more about the ZPM's, such as how they are made. We know that they provide power by using and artifical pocket of subspace time. I've always wondered since the're such an important piece of technology for the city but know so little about them.
I would have figured that rodney would have talked more about that.
thanks,
Andrew Chen
Iceman_124@hotmail.com
Not that long ago, you told us everything that Ben Browder is up to now that SG1's movies have wrapped. Could you please tell us about any future projects that Michael and Chris are working on? Are they involved with anything right now that the fans can look forward to?
The John/Teyla thread at GW sanssong says Teyla's BF is one of the actors from "300". This true? WHO?? TELL US!!!
I can see you put a lot of thought and consideration into working out your Blog Demographic Breakdown. I'm impressed you factored in so many variables and that more cookie monster fans checked it out than stargate fans, that is truly impressive but I'm somewhat surprised that Baron Destructo doesn't have more minions, why is that do you think?
If I remember correctly, everybody gets 'laid off' at the end of a show's season so they get unemployment, but then picked up again when the show gets renewed. Is that correct?
As for Joe Flanigan saluting, eh, let him do the sloppy salute. To suddenly see Sheppard saluting perfectly, tying his bootlaces, etc. would cause consternation amongst many Sheppard fans that he's actually an evil clone of some sort. My god, next thing, you know, someone will suggest a regulation haircut! (at which points fans will picket Bridge Studios).
Can you also add any fuel to the fire of the rumor that RepliWeir and Dark Side Ford will combine forces in an evil bid to take over Atlantis in season five and launch a new intergalactic Starbucks franchise (and worse yet, not pay taxes)?? ;)
Mr. Mallozzi,
Is the Last man episode similar to Undending of SG1 in any way?
Also, are guys going to introduce new starship designs in season four from the ancients and the wraith.
Thanks and happy thanksgiving sir,
your montreal "arab" fan
Are we going to see any appearances of the Daedalus crew and/or Caldwell for Season 4?
This is a link to an article you should really read. I think nothing more true as ever been said about the beginning of S4:
http://scifi.about.com/od/stargate/a/sga_s4premiere.htm
If you don't mind, please tell David Hewlett his fans are all ecstatic to hear about little Sebastian Flynn! :):):)
ok, last i checked the father of teyla's baby was supposed to be an entirely new character, so unless i missed something (which is possible), then what's the point in speculating on teyla/sheppard?
I can't help it, but Joe F. skateboarding into the sunset made me rather sad. It's difficult to believe that filming for the season is over, while the airing has just begun.
I have a good idea what Rachel will be up to, but do you know what the other main cast members will be doing during the hiatus before Season 5 begins? (Yes, I believe there will be a Seasons 5!)
Joe please answer this
Are there any Alternate Universe or Alternate timelines stories this season?
Hello,
Do you read reviews about Atlantis episodes on some websites about scifi (but not fan sites) ?
Hi Joe!
Congrats on finishing another season! Before I started reading your blog, I had no idea how much work went into just a single scene of an episode. I find myself watching TV with a completely different view now.
Concerning the pick-up for season five, could you possibly get the show picked up by another network if sci-fi is dumb enough to toss out the only good show they have left? Although it was before my time in the fandom, I heard something similar happened with SG1 a few years ago. Could Space pick it up maybe? Would you have to wait for another network to step in or could you guys go and ask them?
On another note, I'm dying to know what the final numbers were for Adrift! Please, please let us know. Hmm, that's something else I've never thought about or really known about before SGA. You see how educational your blog and this fandom is?
Speaking of education, I bet you don't know what a profound influence the show has had on some people. I know tons of fanfic writers who spent days researching some complicated physics phenomenon and math problems to put into their story. Some other people even went back to school and have started computer/science degrees since they've been so inspired by the show. That's something very few shows can say that they do (except maybe Numbers). So, congrats on that too. Whether you realized it or not, you're making a lot of people interested in science, which is awesome!
Salut joseph =)=)
Waou j'adore la photo de groupe!! Magnifique!
Merci pour la video! Joe, toujour fidéle a son skate^^!
Youpi! Vous allez continuer votre blog!! Olala heuresement, car moi, il me faut chaque jour ma dose de Joseph^^!
Intérésant ce petit classement des gens qui viennent sur votre blog! Vous me méteriez dans quel catégorie??
Sayé! Mon blog a dépasser les 10,000 visites!!! je sais que ce n'est rien par rapport au votre, mais c'est deja bien^^!!
Encors 8 jours!! =DD
Aller, Gros bisou!! Je vous aime fort fort<3<3 A demain! Bonne journée =)
Salut! C'est pour ça que je trouvais que tu avais l'air sympa, t'en né à Montréal;)Je me demandais comment fait-on pour écire un épisode d'une émission de tv, est-ce une clique fermée?
Little Sebastian Flynn has finally put in an appearance! Should you see David H. and his wife, could you please give them my congratulations?
Our youngest is 18, but I still remember what it's like to be just starting out. I hope all is well with the Hewlett clan. ;-)
BoomerGoodheart
ali@legendaryleatherworks.com
It doesn't even seem like Sci-Fi is giving Atlantis a chance by airing it at 10:00 pm. One of MGM's people stated at Comic Con that everybody needs to watch the show live rather then TiVo it. I have to TiVo it now because my lifestyle does not allow me to stay up that late. If it were on at the 8:00 pm hour then I wouldn't have any problems and would watch it live. For the past few years it would appear that Sci-Fi is doing nothing more then killing the Stargate name. I think it's time for a new network or some type of Internet distribution model. I for one would pay for a download.
My family of five loves Stargate and we hope to be enjoying it for years to come. Thank you for what you do!
I see more childish anons are stalking the JT thread at GW again. Come on, people! The information being discussed there comes from a recent interview that Rachel Luttrell did and the link is given on the GW homepage. And why are you pestering Joe about it? Really, if you're anti-JT, why lurk in a thread that discusses the very thing you loathe? Really, really sad.
If (and that's a huge, gigantic if) Atlantis gets the chop, would you and the other writers plan on making movies like SG1?
Will the lines which seperate good and evil become blurred this year to the crew of Atlantis?
Great to hear that you will be continuing your blog posts!! I found you via your SDCC 2007 post and have become hooked on your "Thoughts and Tirades, Rants and Ruminations".
I hope that Baron Destructo and Cookie Monster make a appearance soon.
Joe, while I know you're not directly involved with either of the two Stargate movies, you are on the inside track. Can you please give us a more exact time frame for when MGM is planning on releasing Ark of Truth and Continuum? Absence may make the heart grow fonder, but there is an equal amount of truth in "out of sight, out of mind."
A Ravenous SG-1 Fan
WHy are people always complaining about pairings [Sheppard+Teyla, Sheppard+Eliabeth, etc.]? As long as it's handled appropriately [no suggestive situations, please!], I'll watch. People don't need to complain so much! The writers know what they are doing!
The NY Times has an interesting article about the new ratings system. Apparently it takes Nielsen 21 days to do the Commercial + 3 day ratings analysis!
New Ratings System
Ha oui j'aller oublier!!
Tout mes voeux de bonheur pour David, Jane et Sebastian ! ^^
ps: j'ai enfin trouver quelque chose de francais dans stargate atlantis...... *Les bouteille d'eau Evian lol* XD
The 4000 or so visitors who drop by this site consistently break down as follows:
5%: Foodies.
7%: Obsessed chocolate fans.
9%: Minions of Baron Destructo.
10%: People I know checking in to make sure I’m writing/not writing about them.
12%: Stargate fans
13%: Fans of Cookie Monster.
14%: Varied interests.
30%: Individuals who have come across my blog by accidentally following a link (ie. A browser search for “Young People F**king” or any variation thereof).
how do you know this?
i think you made this up. LOL
Hello Joe!
Hope you feel better very, very soon! Thanks for continuing the blog - it's appreciated!
Caught myself up on and in the past couple of days worth of words, pics, and videos. Big WooHoo for it all - except for the negative snarkasms from nassssssty people, gollum.
Reading Lord Foul's Bane for the Book Club. Up to pg 274 now. Weird how it takes some guy in another country whom I've never met to get me to read a book I've never read, even though it's been in my house for over 16 yrs!
As one of Baron Destructo's minions, I will finish with...
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! YOU ARE ALL DOOMED! "DOOMED," I SAY! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
So, what were the ratings for Atlantis this past weekend????
We know you don't have the final numbers, but we got 1.2 last week. How about throwing about a million ravenous SGA fans a bone and filling us in????
Thanks!
Just watched Lifeline on youtube, thought it was great. Just wondering, do you think there's any chance sci-fi channel will start putting the episodes up on their website, a la CBS, NBC, ABC, CW, etc. It would be really awesome for those of us who aren't often home Friday nights and are too cheap to have DVR or Tivo. And would prevent me from supporting copyright infringement on youtube.
I enjoyed "Lifeline" immensely. Joe Flanigan did a great job with the emotional moments. Very somber ending (with a spark of hope). I do hope Sheppard gets the chance to find Elizabeth and bring her back home to Atlantis.
Joe F. skating away into the sunset. Nice.
*waves*
"Anonymous said...
A rather well-written criticism of just why the loss of Weir has bigger ramifications for SGA than the obvious...
http://scifi.about.com/od/stargate/a/sga_s4premiere"
With respect, that's one persons view and it doesn't necessarily reflect the fandom as a whole. The author of that article is in a position to let his voice be heard, and good for him for having the opportunity to potentially influence people's views (if that's what he's trying to do). However, it does not mean that everyone thinks that way, or is able to vocalise their support so publicly. He is obviously in a better position than most, as not not everyone has that sort of media behind them.
Thanks for the drooling vid, Mr M and the yummy pics! Was there a few interviews going on at the time with Jason, he looked in interviewee mode.
Hope you feel better soon, don't you hate it when your body gives in, just when it's time to play! LOL. *still keeping everything crossed (Joans style) for a S5*
*hugs*
Cheeky
the best part of any director/writers job is the delicious cake surely?
Baby Hewlett has arrived!
David wrote: 'Welcome to the world Sebastian Flynn! 9 pounds 4 ounces! Mum and son doing beautifully!'
Poor Jane! My second son was 9lbs 2oz so I can really empathize with her!
They seem like such nice people so I'm betting they are going to make great parents! Plus David will probably buy every electronic gadget for the little guy! LOL
Am I mistaken or am I hearing the voice of our favorite technician (Gary Jones) while playing Halo 3?
Great post--very funny, but don'tscare me with "if there is no season five" talk! In any case, I'm glad the blog will continue.
I know you have to be hush hush on any pilot scripts, but can you, in any way, promise that there will be a snarky, charsimatic character in there? Or, if not, any pugs? If one of those two objectives is met, I will certainy be tuning in ;)
Thanks for the blog,
Royal
Hi Joe,
FINALLY got to watch Lifeline. My DVD recorder wasn't set up correctly last Friday night. Thank goodness for coughyoutubecough or I would never have had the pleasure of watching it. I loved it, by the way. Especially the gorgeous music. It set the mood perfectly.
Thanks for the great pics and clip of Joe skating into the sunset.
Thanks for the cast photo, and all your great blogging, pictures and so on during production. I am very glad you will continue to blog.
Post a Comment