Friday, January 18, 2008

January 18, 2008

Given the increased traffic this blog has received lately, it looks like I’ll have to revise my prediction regarding that one millionth visit. It looks like Baron Destructo and Cookie Monster will be able to announce the lucky winner (the first person to comment after the one millionth visit who will receive a gorgeous and weighty SG-1 10th anniversary watch, AND be immortalized in Stargate lore by having a character named after them) in tomorrow’s entry when they drop by to do their football picks. It would be great if you all signed your names (only first names necessary) to your posts in the lead-up to the milestone.

Another mailbag-heavy entry today as I try to work my way through the recent deluge of questions. I’m sure once the special “one millionth visit” prize has been awarded, the comments on this blog will trickle down to a more manageable 100 or so a day.

Boy, there was a moment at lunch today that really reinforced how much Carl’s presence is missed. A couple of weeks ago, the production was sent a box of Tim Tams from a fan (Seldear). Among the selection was the fantastic “chocolate mud” flavor that everyone really enjoyed. And then there was the cloying pink strawberry package that was left, unopened, at the far end of the table. Until, of course, Alex Levine, switched packaging. Normally, it would be Carl who would fall victim to the food-related practical joke. It was Carl who unwittingly at the 100% cocoa bar. It was Carl who unknowingly ate the peppercorn-studded chocolate. But, since Carl was not around today, Paul ended up the hapless victim of the Tim Tam switcheroo. As if often the case in these situations, the rest of us threw up our arms and celebrated with a resounding cheer as Paul spat up the offending morsel and then was forced to eat an extra piece of pizza to get the sickly sweet taste out of his mouth. At that point, I’m sure no one missed him more. Here’s hoping the WGA strike is settled soon so we can get back to tormenting Mr. Binder. And, uh, benefiting from his creative mind.

Oh, and if you’re interested in catching some of the behind-the-scenes action on Harmony, go check out the following video at the official MGM site: http://stargate.mgm.com/video.php?id=75

Thanks to Michelle for the heads up.

Today’s mailbag:

SusantheTartanTurtle writes: “When are we getting to find out who will be in series 5? Any lovely Scottish doctors?”

Answers: I expect we’ll hear by next week at the latest. Possibly.

Anne Teldy writes: “Did you get the use-the-name idea from me and just tweak it (which would make me incredibly happy) or did you already have it in mind (which would crush my already deflated ego)? Or (perking up) you could say “great minds think alike”????”

Answer: Great minds definitely do think alike.

Lisa S. writes: “Couldn’t some kind of wig or something be fashioned for Jason if he feels the dreads are really part of Ronon’s character?”

Answer: I don’t think a wig would look anywhere near as good as the real thing. If it came down to a choice between wigging Jason and losing the dreads, I’d rather lose the dreads.

Andie writes: “And, do you think we’ll ever see Shep having a ‘moment’ with a kid?”

Answer: Sheppard and McKay have both humorous and poignant moments with Harmony.

Sue writes: “Do you plan to write that into the script; since we never got Daniels reason for cutting hair hopefully there is reason why dreads are gone from Ronan?”

Answer: I’ve left the ultimate fate of those dreads in Jason’s hand. I have already scripted an appropriate scene should he choose to do away with them.

Chelledb writes: “How was the lemon meringue pie? Personally I prefer pecan pie. What is your favorite dessert pie?”

Answer: I’m not a fan of lemon meringue and, like you, prefer pecan pie. My favorite pie? Either pecan or blueberry (a la mode of course).

Patricia writes: “The convention I am wondering about is from April 3rd to 6th, 2008, at the Hilton Metrotown Vancouver presented by CREATION ENTERTAINMENT!”

Answer: Hell no.

Eric writes: “So much science fiction seems to do its damnedest to avoid any connection to or semblance of spirituality in things like ascension. […] Do you have any idea why it is treated this way, whether for your series or science fiction in general?”

Answer: I think that many will argue that once you start introducing spiritual elements, your science fiction show becomes decidedly more fiction than science.

Anne M. writes: “Do you watch anime subtitled or dubbed?”

Answer: Subtitled. Never ever dubbed.

o6untouchable writes: “On a more serious note…if you were to become one of the American Gladiators, what would you want your alternative name to be?”

Answer: On a more serious note? Splendiforous Sammy Spandex.

Mackenzie’s Momma writes: “i know that you have previously mentioned that you did some work in children’s animation and i’m sure if i had the time, energy and inclination to search your archives i could find it. but what SHOW(s) did you work for?”

Answer: The Busy World of Richard Scarry, Caillou, Little Lulu, Animal Crackers, Flying Rhino Junior High, George and Martha, Paddington Bear.

cat4444 writes: “If you figured out from Director Mueller’s email that he was being monitored and sending you a coded message, why would you then proceed to not only decode the message, but send the decoded message to him?”

Agent Wexler: Uh oh.

Erika writes: “Hey annoying one did you tell Carl yes or no please answer this when you apporove this, if we go there and he’s not there my dad will be angry with me.”

Answer: He pickets at the Disney studios in Burbank. The Alameda side. He works the early shift (6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.).

Sulien writes: “I just happen to have an extra copy of the omnibus edition of the first three books of Jim Butcher’s Dresden Files series. Would you read it if I send it up to you?”

Answer: Eventually, sure.

SusantheTartanTurtle writes: “John N Smith - not sure what he does but is he the guy with the black Labrador?”

Answer: That’s him.

AmmoMonkey writes: “Many happy returns to John N. Smith. What does the ‘N’ in his name stand for anyway?”

Answer: Nadia

Firefly827347 writes: “Wow, you wrote the Farscape parody? Does that mean you’re a fan?”

Answer: Fondy and I watched the entire series on dvd.

Kosmo writes: “I realize Carter was only going to be in 14 out of the 20 episodes, but for the love of Pete, I believe the writers need to address her status regardless of being present in the episode. I mean, how in the world was Sheppard able to do all that he did without discussing it with Carter?”

Answer: As you go on to mention in your post, the undeclared understanding is that Carter was consulted off-screen. For instance, in This Mortal Coil, Sheppard and McKay receive the transmission from the duplicate Weir because they happen to be in the control room at the time (Carter is presumably somewhere else on the base). When we pick things up, the team is on the planet, suggested a time cut. We are to assume that, of course, they consulted with Carter and received the green light from her to head off-world. While, on the surface, a mention of Carter may seem like a good idea, a lot of the time this simply makes for an awkward or unnecessary exchange that only highlights the fact that she is not in the episode.

Wraithfodder writes: “But the MGM honchos visit, but what about the new SciFi person. Has she visited?”

Answer: Chris Sanagustin and Mark Stern will be paying us a visit once production begins.

Ariel writes: “I’ve been watching season 6 and season 7 of SG-1 lately and I noticed that the X-302 changed into F-302. Was it because the X series are the prototypes or just a little mistake?”

Answer: Your first guess is correct.

The skypig writes: “How many episodes will you be writing for Season 5?”

Answer: We never know how many episodes a specific writer will write until late in the back half of the season.

Shiningwit writes: “I LOVE Cowboy Bebop especially Edward!”

Answer: Ed was my favorite as well.

M@D writes: “So what’s your 10 pics for books, in no particular order.”

Answer: In no particular order: Joe Abercrombie’s First Law series, Iain M. Banks’s Culture series (Consider Phlebas, Player of Games, and Use of Weapons in particular), Octavia E. Butler’s Parable of the Sower (and Parable of the Talents), Ted Chian’s Stories of Your Life and Others (the last story in the collection is my favorite), Thomas M. Disch’s Camp Concentration, Scott Lynch’s The Lies of Locke Lamorra, George R. R. Martin’s Song of Ice and Fire series, Walter M. Miller Jr.’s A Canticle for Leibowitz, China Mieville’s The Scar, Elizabeth Moon’s The Speed of Dark, John Scalzi’s Old Man’s War, Dan Simmons’s Summer of Night, Karen Traviss’s City of Pearl, Gene Wolfe’s Book of the New Sun, Roger Zelazny’s Lord of Light, SFWA Hall of Fame. Check out those for starters.

SciFiSlacker writes: “Ok, so who wrote the O’Neill is Cameron’s daddy joke?”

Answer: I believe that was Robert Cooper.

DeeinSouthAfrica writes: “You still getting your inspiration by mixing ganja with Earl Grey tea leaves and smoking them?”

Answer: I prefer to dip them in chocolate and eat them instead.

Emily writes: “I thought you guys gave up celebrating bdays with cake/pie etc as you were having to celebrate waaay too often…”

Answer: So did I.

Yazid writes: “Have you ever seen UFO ?”

Answer: Well I’ve seen a number of flying objects I’ve been unable to identify that I assumed were planes.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This has been a great season. Thanks. I really liked the superintelligent sentient weapon's perspective on life.

Anonymous said...

Do you think the actors find it easy to begin acting with new characters??

Anonymous said...

You read A Song of Ice and Fire? Yay! Couldn't you tell mister Martin to hurry up with A Dance with Dragons Already? And while you're at it, could you tell the WGA to stop the strike so that HBO can start preproduction on the ASoIaF television series? And is ASoIaF a kind of show you would like to be involved with?

Kelly J. Crawford said...

Is it me? Did I win? Please say I won, Joe.

Kelly the comic book writer

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed "Quarantine". I'm glad the Rodney/Katie relationship appears to be at an end. They always seemed to be on one very long and awkward first date. For two people contemplating marriage, their scenes showed the least amount of intimacy in the whole ensemble.

Quantaqua said...

Try "Tony's Chocolonely" chocolade. You can order it online at http://www.chocolonely.com/
I gained kilo's after finding out about this delight ;)

Cassie said...

The group of people I watch SGA with are also anime club members... (We go form club up to someone's room to gather and watch) so I must say hearing some of your fav. animes is highly amusing. I was sharing the list with them last night and they seemed to approve...

I know you don't like dubs, but, you said you liked Escaflowne, did ya' know you had the English voice actor for Van on the show? (Kirby Morrow) Speaking of which... will we be seeing Captain Kleinman again? (bridge tech/pilot on Daedalus in Seige 3, Allies, Misbegotten, The Return, and so forth)

-Cassie/ Lyticarium

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe...Just wanted to say first of all about SOW....I loved it,best episode of the Season so far IMHO...

Ok Questions,
1. So wasn't the Heated Exchange between Teyla and John supposed to be in Quarantine,i haven't seen it yet...Did you get the eps mixed up again ;)

2. Any chance that Cadman will come back in a few eps in S5,i liked her alot?

3.Is this Kanan guy gonna make an appearance at any point this season?

Anonymous said...

It's a shame that Carl Binder won't be writing with you guys at the moment. Is the WGA strike affecting any other aspects of production?

Thanks!
Samantha
:)