Sunday, October 14, 2007

October 14, 2007





Well, as promised yesterday, today’s blog entry will be dedicated to those scenes and excerpts that didn’t make the final cut of Reunion. Tomorrow, back to the food and fun.

TEASE

Teyla and Ronon walk and talk as they enter the village: I completely forgot about this little exchange as it never made it past the first draft because one of the writers felt it was nothing but vamp. I thought it was fun, a call-back, and offered some good-natured ribbing between the two friends but, hey, in the end the episode didn’t miss it.

EXT. VILLAGE -- DAY

Teyla and Ronon head into a village.

RONON: “Sergeant Moore?”

TEYLA: “No.”

RONON: “Dr. Healey?”

TEYLA: “No.”

RONON: “Chuck the technician?”

TEYLA: “No! Ronon, you are mistaken in what you've heard. I harbor no secret feelings for anyone on the base.”

RONON: “Fine, don't tell me. I'll just figure it out on my own. Let's see…”

Off her look -

RONON: “He's got to be handsome...of course, brave...intelligence is important. Hmmm...handsome, brave, intelligent…” (considers) “It's not me, is it?”

She throws him another look as a TOWNSPERSON spots them and hurries over.

TOWNSPERSON: “Praise the gods, you have finally arrived.”


ACT ONE

Carter gets Sheppard and McKay up to speed: When an episode is running as long as the director’s cut of Reunion, you realize that all of the cuts aren’t going to come out of the body of scenes. Whenever possible, you’re going to lose some scenes - and this was one we could lose. It came away clean and didn’t effect the overall narrative, but I do miss it because it reinforces the reasons Carter was appointed to the command position on Atlantis. In the first draft, I made a point of having her mention that Richard Woolsey put in a good word for her with the I.O.A., helping her nomination. When I received notes, it was suggested that it should be O’Neill instead of Woolsey who put in a good word for her. I’d thought about it, but hadn’t done so in the first draft because I didn’t want to suggest any impropriety, but the counter-argument was that if O’Neill could put in a good word for her, he would have out of respect for her record. So, in the subsequent draft, I changed it to O’Neill. A day later, Amanda swung by my office and echoed the very same concern I’d had earlier. Ultimately, I decided to split the difference, crediting both Woolsey and O’Neill with helping her secure the post -

INT. CONTROL ROOM - ATLANTIS -- DAY

Picking up where we left off. Carter, on the monitor, informs Sheppard and McKay -

CARTER: “I think the I.O.A. saw me as a compromise candidate, since I have both a military and a scientific background. That and the fact that I got some pretty strong recommendations from General O'Neill and Richard Woolsey tipped the balance in my favor.” (beat) “I have to admit, I was a little hesitant at first to accept. There are some outstanding issues…”

MCKAY: “I didn't...I mean, it didn't have anything to do with…”

CARTER: “No, Rodney. It had nothing to do with you. I was just worried that I might still be needed here. But General Landry assured me that he'd keep me informed of any developments at Stargate Command.” (beat) “Ultimately, I considered some of the things that were waiting for me at Atlantis and that, more than anything, helped me make my decision.”

MCKAY: “Ah. So in that case, your decision to accept - “

CARTER: “No, Rodney. That had nothing to do with you either.”

##MCKAY: “Right, well, it'll be nice to work together again. Just like old times.”

CARTER: “Except that this time, you'll be following my orders. Anyway, I'll be there as soon as I've finished dealing with a few things here at the base.”

SHEPPARD: “Looking forward to it, Colonel.”

CARTER: “See you soon.”

The monitor goes to static. The gate turns off O.S.

OFF McKay, still trying to digest this latest development.


Ronon and his fellow Satedans catch-up in the tavern: A fun little glimpse at a surprisingly artistic pre-Runner Ronon here that we ended up cutting for time. It offered a more playful exchange between the old friends. Paul strongly objected to the “beautiful singing voice” line:

#INT. TAVERN -- DAY

Ronon's buddies reminiscing, while Rakai finishes up on the new tattoo he has given Ronon. Ara informs Teyla -

ARA: “Oh, Ronon was quite the artist in his younger days: sculpting, sketching, writing poetry - “

A surprised Teyla throws Ronon an amused look -

TEYLA: “He wrote poetry?

RONON: “Do we really need to drudge up the past?”

RAKAI: “When he wasn't singing to the ladies.”

ARA: “He has a beautiful voice.”

TEYLA: “Really?”

Ronon checks out his new tattoo and not so subtly changes the subject -

ACT THREE

Carter pays Ronon a visit: The heart of this scene remained pretty much intact, but I ended up losing a discussion regarding the various unique items Ronon has in his room - which, ultimately, was little more than a preamble to the real conversation. This chunk came away easily enough.

#INT. RONON'S QUARTERS - ATLANTIS -- DAY

Ronon is clearly getting ready to leave.

CARTER: “Packing?”

RONON: “Yeah.”

The place is decorated with keepsakes from Sateda and some of the other worlds Ronon has visited. Carter's eyes are drawn to a painting, a Frazetta-like depiction of a group of Satedan warriors triumphant in battle.

RONON: “That used to hang in the military museum - the Satedan victory over Vetariss. After my life as a runner ended, I went back and sorted through what was left of my homeworld.”

Carter points to a portion of a marble column.

CARTER: “What was this?”

RONON: “Part of an archway, at the entrance to the academy where I did my training.”

Carter picks up a necklace of withered fingers.

CARTER: “And this?”

RONON: “It's a necklace made from the fingers of the first wraith I ever killed.”

Off Carter's look -

RONON: “It holds a lot of sentimental value.”

Carter sets the necklace aside, gives the room a cursory once-over.

CARTER: “You know, the fact that you even brought these things here tells me you considered Atlantis home; that you were happy here.”


The Flashbacks: There were two, one earlier in the script, the other here (although, in the first draft, Carter‘s visit to Ronon played even earlier). They were designed to convey the strong bond between the Satedans and the fact that Ronon was almost like a big brother to them - someone they depended on in the past. It offered a glimpse at Marika and Hemi, the lost Satedans. It also showed a softer side of Ronon and, for that reason, I was reluctant to lose them but the episode was already running long and so, in the end, we saved the production time (and money) and these scenes were never shot.

Flashback #1 -

#EXT. FORESTED PLANET -- DAY

Sounds of battle in the distance.

ON two Satedans - Marika and Hemi - crouching for cover behind some rocks. Marika is a tough-as-nails warrior in her prime. Hemi is older, world-weary. Marika is tending to a wound in Hemi's side. Reveal that a Ara is with them, looking younger and a lot less experienced. She is clearly terrified.

ARA: I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.

Suddenly, the sound of movement causes a wide-eyed Ara to go for her weapon -

As Ronon ducks into cover alongside them. Ara is relieved to see him.

ARA: Ronon! You came back for us!

RONON: “Of course I came back.” (re: Hemi's wound) “What happened?”

ARA: “It...it was an accident. I thought he was one of the Bolo Kai.”

#RONON: (to Hemi) “Can you move?”

Hemi nods.

RONON: “Alright. Let's go.”

Ara is horrified at the thought -

ARA: “But we're surrounded. There's no way out.”

Ronon grabs her and fixes her with a look.

RONON: “Hey. I found a way in, didn't I?”

Ara calms.

ARA: “Right.”

They move out.

Flashback #2 -

INT. SATEDAN BARRACKS -- DAY

Ronon walks in and finds a downcast Ara sitting quietly at the foot of her bunk.

RONON: “Looks like we got him back in time. He's going to be okay.”

ARA: “Good.”

Ronon approaches.

RONON: “It was your first op. You're inexperienced. You made a mistake.”

ARA: “I almost killed a friend.”

RONON: “Yeah, as far as mistakes go that was a pretty big one.”

Ara steels herself for what she is about to say, then looks Ronon in the eye and reveals -

ARA: “I've decided to abandon my specialist training and take a position with support personnel.”

RONON: “I'm not going to let you give up.”

ARA: “I think it would be better. I can supervise weapons maintenance. I can cook.”

RONON: “The only reason you were out on that op is because we believe in you. We recognize your potential, even if you don't. Okay, you made a mistake - but that's not going to make us give up on you. So don't you give up on us.”

Ara considers.

RONON: “Alright?”

Ara nods.

RONON: “Besides. You're a terrible cook.”

Ara gives a little smile. As Ronon turns to leave, smiling himself we -


ACT FOUR

McKay and the replicator converse: Again, this entire scene came away easily enough and, in retrospect, I’m glad it did as, in retrospect: a) it really added nothing to the episode, and b) there’s nothing less scary than a chatty replicator.

INT. TESTING CHAMBER - WRAITH RESEARCH FACILITY -- DAY

The captive replicator hangs suspended, eyes shut and unmoving, in front of McKay's work station. McKay has hooked up his tablet to the wraith gak. He consults the scrolling data onscreen and throws an anxious look back at the doorway where -

Just outside, a burly wraith stands guard.

McKay swings back around and starts -

When the replicator's eyes flash open. It whispers -

REPLICATOR: “Release me.”

McKay throws another fearful glance back at the guard just outside. He whispers back.

MCKAY: “I don't think that would be such a good idea - for me in particular.”

REPLICATOR: “It's not you who need fear me.”

MCKAY: “Still, I'm one of those equal opportunity fearers.”

REPLICATOR: “Once you have made the changes they require, they will kill you.”

#MCKAY: “I'm hoping it won't come to that.”

REPLICATOR: “Do not delude yourself. I am your only hope.”

McKay doesn't like the sound of that, but ignores the replicator and presses on with his work.

ACT FIVE

Sheppard and Carter talk: This scene was intended to develop the friendship/working relationship between these two characters and close out the episode, but we were long and I thought it would be preferable to end with the Ronon-Teyla scene since it was Ronon’s episode.

EXT. BALCONY - ATLANTIS -- NIGHT

Sheppard steps outside and finds Carter standing alone, looking out at the city below.

SHEPPARD: “What are you doing out here? Ronon's welcome back party is about to start.”

CARTER: “His welcome back party? He never actually left.”

SHEPPARD: “Hey, do you want to party or not?”

Carter smiles. He joins her. Carter casts her gaze out over the city.

CARTER: “It was a hell of a day. We risked our lives, kicked some alien ass - “

SHEPPARD: “#And made it back in time for dinner.”

CARTER: “It's like I never left Stargate Command.”

And as we PULL BACK on them on the balcony we (VFX) -

FADE OUT

Today’s pics: Snaps from the last week of production.

Today’s video: None today.

Today’s mailbag:

AMZ writes: “Is there a reason the producer's cuts are called "Producer’s cut A" and "Producer’s Cut 1" (why not "A" and "B" or "1" and "2")? And what is the difference between the Day 1 Mix and Day 2 Mix?”

Answers: The Producer’s cut A reflects an internal cut that will go through another edit before becoming a Prod cut 1 - which is the version that goes out to the network and studio. On occasion, we may bypass the Prod cut A, label it a Prod cut 1, and send it out. The Day 2 Mix is the next version of a mix (which includes music and sound effects) after the notes on the Day 1 Mix have been incorporated.

Foolishpleasure writes: “why didn't Sheppard, or any of the military personnel on Atlantis, salute Carter when she came through the gate and took command of Atlantis?”

Answer: Seahen already answered this one - “ The Air Force only salutes indoors during formal ceremonies and arriving through the gate is not a formal ceremony.” We did check with the Air Force on this one.

Anonymous #1 writes: “How much of the Sheppard backstory that Joe Flanigan wrote was used in Outcast?”

Answer: None. The idea that Joe pitched us (which was a verbal pitch by the way and not a written document) had to do with the action element/door into the story. The writers came up with the entire Sheppard backstory in the room.

Shawna writes: “As far as Carter's speech, it seemed a bit weird to me. Not anything she said, just the fact that it seemed she was making it to whoever happened to be wandering around the general area of the control room about the time she was scheduled to arrive. "Each and every one of you" seemed a bit odd when she's only talking to a handful of people, a tiny portion of all the people on Atlantis.”

Answer: I had originally envisioned this scene with a heck of a lot more people. As it turned out, there were only about 20 extras on the day - in my mind, they were the various department heads - which is why the speech was trimmed. Also, Carter’s “each and every one of you” is meant to imply not just them but all of the Atlantis personnel.

Sharma Stancil writes: “I would love to know if Ronon and Sheppard are/were supposed to have a long & bruising (for Sheppard) stickfight scene??? I think you alluded to it (WITH pictures) in an earlier blog, but now I can't seem to find it any longer. Were those scenes deleted or something???”

Answer: Wrong episode. You’re thinking of This Mortal Coil.

85 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heee. Well I for one loved the cut walk and talk scene between Ronon and Teyla.. I can just imagine them having that conversation. :) Really, Ronon should know better by know than to tease the woman who can kick his ass with bantos rods. :D

Danielle said...

Well that answers one of my questions lols. I was wondering what that was a picture of lols. ^^ Brillent job on the ep! *claps*Claps for you!

~Danielle

Anonymous said...

This post and the one before it are interesting insights into how a story ends up being told. I hope that you will deconstruct more episodes...next week, perhaps?

Amz said...

Thanks for all the insights Joe! I have to agree with alipeeps, that walk and talk scene between Ronon and Teyla made me laugh (I can just imagine it...).

What part of the development/production process do you enjoy the most?

Pauline said...

Anonymous said
it is quite disturbing, and a turn-off really, to see a grown man with so much responsibility still acting like such an idiot.

Hmm…Which world leaders come to mind!!

Wish you could have left that line from McKay in when he is conversing with the Replicator’s

REPLICATOR: “It's not you who need fear me.”

MCKAY: “Still, I'm one of those equal opportunity fearers.”

I love McKay’s humour when he uses it as a defence against his fear. Class, and well written.

Pauline

majorsal said...

hi, joe,

thanks for letting us know what was cut out of the ep. even though it didn't make it on screen, i still feel it's part of the ep. i especially appreciated the scene where it explained what sam's feelings/thoughts were on taking the command. :)



sally :D

Charles Schneider said...

Which of your own episodes this season do you think speaks the most to your own life and experiences? That is to say, which episode you penned for S4 is the most personal to you?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the deleted scenes script! Very cool!

Please answer my questions. 1) Will you dissect any more episodes after they air? 2) How many knives does Ronon have? 3) Who decided to put Jack's picture in the suitcase?

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Teyla didn't have a huge part in Reunion, but already, I'm beginning to like her more and more. You and the other writer staffs really have stepped up with her character (as promised.)

Jenny Robin said...

I have an awkward 'thank you' to give to you that will require a bit of set up:

Last night my sisters and I took our parents to a nice restaurant in celebration of their 40th wedding anniversary. My parents are not normally 'nice restaurant' type of people, and truth be told, I'd rather pad my 401(k) instead of my stomach with the money required to eat out at expensive places on a regular basis.

I wanted my parents and the rest of the family to enjoy themselves, to try new foods, and not to be shy about ordering myriad dishes. And so, I took the lead in ordering several appetizers to spark an overindulgent mood.

I told them that 'my Stargate guy' has a culinary dining strategy of ordering multiple dishes and that he almost always has good results.

My plan was working. People were trying the Tenderloin Tamales with Pecan Mash, the Smoked Quail with Molasses BBQ Glaze and Jalapeno Cheddar Grits, and the other dishes. So when time came to order their main dish, my family members ordered with reckless abandon...reckless, it's true!

And then later came dessert...I again was reminded of how you order multiple desserts and I allowed myself to be influenced. Yes, I admit it. Darn you, you influenced me. I ordered two desserts, and everyone was more than happy to help me eat the second choice in addition to their own.

And so I thank you Joe, my Stargate guy, for your posting of dining experiences and strategies. Your experience helped me and my family enjoy and celebrate the event.

...the restaurant is The Reata in downtown Ft. Worth, TX....reata.net.

Anonymous said...

Once again I very much enjoyed the insight into the writing process as well as your original ideas and thoughts for “Reunion”.

I think so far “Reunion” is my favorite screenplay you've written.

I hope you'll do it again for “Travelers” and I sincerely hope that since this is a more character driven season we'll gain some insight into Sheppard as we did with Ronon, and that the point of the eppy is more than just a spring board to introduce a new race.

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe,

In a recent Q&A in Australia, Joe F. claims that TPTB want his character to be more earnest. According to someone who attended this con: "Apparently, some of TPTB have told him that because he's the hero, he has to show that he "cares" more obviously." Is this true? What episode is being referred to?

PG15 said...

Ack! You mentioned the Bolo Kai! I would've loved for that to stay in and surprise some fans with regard to the amount of foreshadowing that's going into Season 4 (since they're showing up in "Missing", I believe). Oh well, good to see another sign of the planning going into the season. Love it. Thanks Joe!

What's with the "#"'s beside some of the lines and character's names?

Jenny Robin said...

And now for the shorter post called: "Jenny's quick feedback on Joe's Reunion episode".

I fancied myself terribly clever and took some quick notes while watching the ep.

#1--Sam/Teal'c moment lovely--those two are a delight to watch together
#2--'unrequited lusts'--ha ha!--I embrace McKay for his extra-verbal-offhanded-oafishness (EVOO)
#3--Teyla/Ronon convo. solid and relevant--added great complexity and insight to her character
#4--painting--suddenly important out of the blue--your deleted scenes info helps to clarify
#5--wraith coccoon that McKay hides in looks fantastic
#6--the white hair wig--oh boy
#7--talkie wraithies--I like it when a wraith has something interesting to say instead of the usual gloom n doom. Mr. White Hair Wig Wraithie was an individual. It made him more villainous.

I enjoyed it. I think I may just have to compliment you and give you a big ol' attaboy.

Jono Hayward said...

Love the new uniform items (jackets). Congrats to the costume people.

Anonymous said...

Hi

Very interesting tid bits. It would have been nice to include the first part of the teasing with Ronan and Teyla.. It shows a nice humorest side to Ronan which we don't see too much.. and when a character has a wee bit of humor we tend to like them much more. Any possibility this could be added to a later episode? Or is it too late?

Dori

Anonymous said...

Hey joe,
I watched the episode today and i couldn't believe what my eyes have seen! oh my god!! A picture of Jack in one of her boxes!!(any comments?) ;D!!!!

If you don't remember, here the link to Mala50 from GW!!

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=7211017&postcount=17336

Sarah said...

you know, honestly? the cuts - i'm kind of glad they were made. they felt very "sg1." (yes, i know feelings are hard to judge or provide any foundation for a basis other than personal opinion.) good writing, just didn't seem appropriate for the tone of sga. or the epi.

so, to tie in, two questions.

1) how hard do you find it as a writer to switch gears from sg1 to sga - the same general 'verse, totally different characters, different tone, different worlds, different enemies, different histories.

2) what's the 'gut check' for balancing humor and drama in a relatively dark epi?

Anlaria Onyx said...

I LOVED Reunion, it was fantastic! I would have loved to see the scenes that were cut, though!

artsjunke said...

Joe -

Thanks for all the deleted scene info. It's really cool to get to imagine what your vision as the writer was as a whole before getting all chopped up.

Has there ever been anything cut from one of your episodes that really bothered you?

Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Flanigan made it to Australia? What can I say.. I'm stunned. I hope he brought his kids and took them to see the penguins!

Anonymous said...

Maybe a dumb question, but do the # signs signify something in the script excerpts?

BTW, I was happy to see my team beat up on your Raiders today -- you know, it's not too late to change loyalties :-)

Unknown said...

In today's picture of the Phoenix console the diagram of the ship looked a bit different then that of the Daedalus type ships, is this real or imagined, and to what degree if so is this true? Is this integrating asgard tech from Unending, or is that not going to play a part in Atlantis?

Jedi said...

Hi Joe,

A friend of mine that saw the early releasing of Doppelganger said that JF had 4 different roles in that episode...is that true?

Anonymous said...

hey Joe,
who is the woman in the third pic, it looks like she is getting directions from Andy Mikita?? Is it Emma Lahana, kinda looks like her

Blaine

Anonymous said...

The thing that stood out for me with this scene is Ronon’s protective big brother reaction to the villager pestering Teyla.
wow. haha. I don't think so. I mean I get where you are coming from--but they are NOWHERE near brother and sister..*shudders*
Anyway-- I realllly would have wanted to see the conv. with Teyla and Ronon. That sounded freaking funny! haha

Anonymous said...

Words can't describe how much I love Joe Flanigan right now.

He seems to be the only one who truly understands how the fans of Beckett and Weir feel. For all those idiots saying "It had to be done" and giving us no reason why, at least Joe has the guts to stand up and say he misses both actors, and he doesn't think that killing off characters is the way to keep fans.

He's about 100 steps ahead of you when it comes to understanding the audience. Maybe you should listen to him more.

Anonymous said...

Joe answered: "As it turned out, there were only about 20 extras on the day - in my mind, they were the various department heads - which is why the speech was trimmed. Also, Carter’s “each and every one of you” is meant to imply not just them but all of the Atlantis personnel."

Joe just for future reference (and yo umight share htis with your buddies Cooper and Wright) what you envisions - that is what's in your "mind" does not necessarily come out on screen at all - just because you think it does not mean the audience will think it. I have to agree that the arrival speech seemed out of place and odd for a room of what looked like a dozen people at the most - and they did not even seem like they were there specifically just for her arrival - seemed more like oh look the Gate just activated let's wait and see what pops out.

You are better off realizing that most of the time actually SHOWING, instead of all of this TELLING that seems to have started in earnest in season 9 of SG-1, and the overuse and reliance on the audience to envision what "happened off-screen" makes for a very bad show.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, that scene with Rodney thinking Carter may have made her decision about coming to Atlantis based on her "feelings" for him sounds horrible. Thank God you cut it out. Rodney as Carter's delusional puppy is not amusing. Bleck.

Anonymous said...

I would have liked to see the cut scenes, especially the opening chat scene with Teyla and Ronon! As I said before the connections between the characters this season are fantastic, I like the idea of the friendship behind the work.
Was this a concious decision between the writers? To develop the relationships more?

Anonymous said...

"Apparently, some of TPTB have told him that because he's the hero, he has to show that he "cares" more obviously." Is this true? What episode is being referred to?

Well, thank God someone told him; it's about time!

Tesajb said...

I got major De ja vu when I saw that console. It looks a lot like the old equipment my dad used to design.


INT. TESTING CHAMBER - WRAITH RESEARCH FACILITY -- DAY


Im actually glad this scene didn't make it into the ep for couple reasons:

MCKAY: “Still, I'm one of those equal opportunity fearers.”

Reminds me of Daniel Jackson's line that O'Neill was an "equal opportunity offender". It was a good line, glad it wasn't dampened by the new reference =P.

REPLICATOR: “Do not delude yourself. I am your only hope.”

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi...

=)

fayettebelle said...

Totally love the commentary and back story you share...

Also... has this been discussed before?

http://www.heynielsen.com/rankings/

And would it do the series rankings any good? (since I suspect a goodly number of us dvr or tivo or otherwise download episodes outside Nielsen's usual tv purview)

RebeccaH said...

Thanks for the deleted scenes. They add a lot, even though I can see where some of them might have slowed down the story.

Thanks especially for explaining Ronon's painting. For some reason I fastened on that as soon as I saw it. I wish you could have kept in the bit about the necklace of fingers, though. That's so Ronon.

Anonymous said...

Are you a fan of Anthony Bourdain's show "No Reservations?" I saw that he shot an episode (for the new season starting after the first of the year) in Vancouver.

Anonymous said...

Loved the Deleted Scenes.

"Equal opportunity fearers!" Classic Mckay.

Keep it up !!!

Anonymous said...

"Apparently, some of TPTB have told him that because he's the hero, he has to show that he "cares" more obviously."

But he'd rather play him as shallow and petulant. Please JM, save him from himself.

Anonymous said...

wow thanks so much for taking the time to post the extended glimpse at Reunion!! I enjoyed reading this very much, I'm especially pleased to have an answer about Ronon's painting. Just a little character thing that would've bothered me forevermore if you hadn't mentioned.

morjana said...

Hi, Joe.

SciFi posted SciFi Channel's ratings for the week that SGA premiered:

SciFi Wire: SciFi Channel ratings week 9/24/07 -- 9/30/07

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/

Top Ten SciFi Channel Shows

Ghost Hunters---------1.4
Eureka----------------1.2
Stargate Atlantis-----1.2
ECW-------------------1.1
Species: Awakening----1.1
Doctor Who------------1.0
Alone in the Dark-----0.9
Flash Gordon----------0.7
10.5 part two---------0.7
War of the Worlds-----0.7

Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 9/24/07 -- 9/30/07

Thank you for all the information on "Reunion!"

Best wishes, Morjana

Anonymous said...

I loved all the deleted scenes. Will you be posting anymore this season? Maybe for Trio?

Lauren said...

I don't think I've ever looked forward to a blog post, but I'll admit that I checked every five minutes to see if you had updated, and I was definitely not disappointed with today's post. And yesterdays, as well!

Thanks for doing this, it was incredibly awesome, and it really helped hold me over (and I'm sure tons of others) until Friday :)

(But I've really got to stop looking at your food pictures! I'm stuck eating horrible, bland dorm food and your delicious-looking photos are driving me nuts!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe, thanks for all the insights into the episode. I always find it interesting to see what the writers originally wanted the script to look like and how it differs from the final product.

I wish they would have kept in the longer Carter speech and the reference to Dr. Weir, though... Without it, it seemed like they were ignoring what happened in the previous episode, not acknowledging what happened with Weir. It left me wondering, "What happened to not leaving anyone behind?!" (Which of course was answered later on in the episode, but still, it would have been nice to address it earlier.)

Looking forward to this Friday's episode!

Anonymous said...

"Apparently, some of TPTB have told him that because he's the hero, he has to show that he "cares" more obviously."

>Anonymous said...

But he'd rather play him as shallow and petulant. Please JM, save him from himself.


Or maybe the Flan knows there's more to acting as in facial expressions and mannerims which he does a wonderful job....his emotions pop on the screen

"Actions" speak louder than words and I think its obvious to anyone how much Sheppard cares by everything he does for his Team and the City.

Tesajb said...

I enjoyed reading this very much, I'm especially pleased to have an answer about Ronon's painting.

This just reminded me of something I forgot to note earlier.. For some reason Ronan's painting reminded me of the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Colon Movie Film for Theaters poster.

=9

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,

Becuase SG1 fans are not going to have a chance to see Daniel at all this year, will there be any mention of what Daniel is up to etc?

Thanks x

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to thank you for all the time and energy in posting a detailed explanation of the thought processes around Reunion, the missing scenes and storyline.

In terms of what got cut and what stayed in, I have to say I think you made the right calls mostly - although I too think you should have stuck to your guns and had Sam mention Weir in her speech. Quite frankly, every speech in real life I've ever heard where someone took over someone else's team has usually referenced the previous leader in someway. Not to mention Weir was odd and not realistic. I also would have loved the Teyla/Ronan teasing at the beginning but then I love the chemistry between those two characters.

Anyways, thank you.

Paula said...

How cool! DVD extras without actually having to wait for the DVD.

Thanks for doing this. It was very interesting!

"I'm an equal opportunity fearer." ::snort::

Anonymous said...

"Still, I'm one of those equal opportunity fearers" McKay - LOL! I looove this line! I can understand why it was decided to remove this bit of conversation, but is there any chance of that line turning up in season five, if SGA isn't cancelled (fingers crossed)? You could put it in the Sheppard stick fighting three parter, surely?!

Leesa Perrie

Anonymous said...

I hope you do this for all the episodes you wrote (please!) - wish you could get the other writers to do something like this as well, but I'll take what I can get and (try) to be satisfied!!

Thanks for doing this.

Leesa Perrie

Unknown said...

Any chance of finding out the origin of ronons gun ?

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe,

Great work on Reunion. Loved it to bits! I was recently rewatching season 3 before I watched season 4 and I had a few questions about Vengeance:

1) Can Michael's superbugs still feed like normal Iratus bugs?
2) Since Michael is now no longer fully Wraith and lacks the funky teeth and hairdo, does this also mean that he is incapable of feeding like a normal Wraith?
3) Is the dart that they escaped the Taranan settlement and got picked up by the Daedalus another one of those plot devices that is barely mentioned, but waiting to be used like Rodney's Puddle Jumper hyperdrive generator?
4a) Ronon's gun seems to have a LOT of shots in it. We might assume it has a power source as we saw him plugging in a battery like thing in Instinct. Does he have a thousand of those or is it rechargeable?
4b) At the start of Vengeance, John tells Ronon to set his gun to stun and it barely damages the first superbug they fight. But later on, most of the superbugs go down from one blast from Ronon's gun. Is this different because he set it on kill, or he's just shooting them in a weaker spot?

I know it's a long list but answered or not thank you anyway. I look forward to seeing more greatness from your writing in Travelers.

Many thanks,
Tim

Anonymous said...

Joe~
Thanks for the breakdown. I love getting to know about the stuff that gets cut from the show. But it begs the question...
When you have to cut a scene or a conversation from a scene, in your mind, did that still happen?
For instance, we didn't get to hear about Ronon's artistic side, but is that still a part of his character for you?
Also, how do you adjust for pieces of the season long story arc that get shifted out of order when the airing order of the episodes changes? If you've already wrapped an episode, there has to be more to it than a last minute re-write.
Thanks again,
:D Skip

Jim From Jersey said...

Joe,

Reunion was a great episode! And I appreciate you sharing the deleted scenes, thoughts and snippets. Fantastic!

-So, how much fun did you have with Mark Dacascos, Re: Iron Chef America?

-Agreed on Granny Wraith Wig. Sneak into the makeup trailer and burn that thing before it reproduces.

-You posted the image of the Wraith Ultrasound handset, and one of the details states: "handset should be articulated to form to curve of Teyla's belly". I find that implication disturbing. Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Loving Season 4 of Atlantis.

Since you are watching the new series "Journey Man", have you read:

"The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger?

Anonymous said...

Joe, thanks so much for a look at the deleted scenes, they really added a lot to the backstory. Any chance we might see them included in the DVD? I would LOVE to see the scenes between Ronon and Carter and Ronon and Teyla. I lol'd just reading them.
A funny thought on the scene of Carter addressing Atlantis - the first thing I thought when I saw it was, "Awww, all of the department heads came out to say hi. And poor Carter, she's nervous. What a cute scene."
One thing that stood out a little, Teyla seemed to have a bit of a tummy in a couple of scenes - was Rachel already showing when you filmed this epi? If so, kudos to everyone involved for managing to hid it so well.
Nienna.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe!

I desire to see the episode "Reunion" seems a good episode, but in Spain we must here wait for being able to see it.

I have a doubt: If the Ancients were the constructors of the Stargates, where constructed the Stargates? Because in Atlantis we have not seen any chamber, laboratory... that shows it...

Anonymous said...

Joe,

Loved Reunion. Once again you guys have shown that you can take a familiar sci-fi concept and turn it around and add a whole new layer to it. Season 4 so far has been outstanding.

Lots of others have mentioned it but I need to throw in as well. Now that you have worked with Mark Dacascos, any chance we will be seeing you as a guest judge on Iron Chef?

Anonymous said...

I love when you put Teyla and Ronon in scenes together. Those two click the best out of the whole cast.

I'm also in the group that thinks Sheppard should have saluted Carter on her arrival. Just a respect thing.

Anonymous said...

All these people who bitch and moan about JF's acting, I'd like to see you do better.

If you can't (and you KNOW you can't, and you probably have heads on you like robbers dogs, too, so not even looks would get you a part on a show), just shut the hell up!

Anonymous said...

Does Teyla have flashbacks in her episode "Missing", whether used or removed, the way Ronon's were slated for "Reunion"?

♥ANAIS♥ said...

☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★


Salut joseph =)

désolé je ne reste pas longtemps, car j'ai un contrôle de comptabilité a réviser pour demain....

Tient en parlant de demain! =D lol, sa arrive^^!!
Encors 4h40 en france et 13h40 chez vous, avant ce jour béni ^^!Moi je dit, demain c'est fête national ..enfin dans ma maison lol, je sens que mes parent vont devenir dingue lol XD!!

Bon bah profiter bien de vos derniére heures en tant qu'homme de 41 ans! =D

Enorme Bisou!!!
A demain!!
Je vous love!!

Vive le 16 Octobre!


☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★ ☆★

Anonymous said...

Going by a spoiler in a recent Sci-Fi ‘magazine’. Quote (Rodney takes Weir back to Earth whether she wants to go or not), is Torri’s fourth episode Miller’s Crossing then?

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr M.,
Greetings from Tipperary!
Just saw the Season Premier, very cool! Well done...Particularly like the "Trust me as far as I can throw YOU line" from Shepp...Nice one!

Q: When will the PTB have a decision on Season 5?

Thank you!

Shirt'n'Tie

Michelle said...

I don't believe those ratings for "Adrift" are for the Live+3 day Commercial ratings everyone has been waiting for these weeks. The 1.2 seems to be just the Live + same day again, which we already knew weeks ago... very frustrating!

I read the context of Joe F's Australia comments about showing that Sheppard cares. He said it's more interesting and layered to portray John as trying NOT to show he cares, although he really does. I respect Joe's view; he's clearly a smart guy. But honestly I have to ask why Sheppard would hide that he cares... and note that the layers don't always come across on screen. When he yells sarcastically at Rodney, it just seems he's yelling sarcastically... Having seen Doppelganger... it seems Joe played it TPTB's way, and it was awesome. :)

Anonymous said...

Joe,

Assuming you get word from SciFi that SGA has been picked up for Season 5, approximately when would the cast and crew return to the studios to start work on the new season?

Thanks,
SMB_BOOKS

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,

Love your blog; I read it daily. Unfortunately, as I was away for the weekend, I missed out on reading the Saturday and Sunday entries, and have just discovered that you have posted some deleted excerpts from the Reunion script. I have avoided reading them, as well as readers' comments, as I don't want any spoilers, since I will not be watching Reunion until tonight (being here in Canada).

My question to you is: Since you have posted deleted excerpts for Reunion, would you consider posting the dialogue for the deleted scenes from Trio; I am specifically referring to Carter's not-so-subtle hint about her relationship with "that guy from Washington". It would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Iggy

Anonymous said...

How does your thought process differ between writing in script form and writing say a more narrative form (like a book or short story... or even emails back to spammers!)? How does your approach differ?

Thanks!
~A

Unknown said...

*waves*

Hiya Mr M, thanks for your insight into this, it really puts everything together. To be honest i'm kind of glad those bits were cut. I think how the ep turned out was perfect and everything felt balanced, if that makes sense. Although it was a Ronon ep, it felt very teamy (my new word) :D And there were some great character develoments for all in there. I would have liked to have seen Ronon teasing Teyla though. :D

So as i'm feeling exceptionally honest today. ;)

Anonymous said about anon about anon. yada yada yada...
"Apparently, some of TPTB have told him that because he's the hero, he has to show that he "cares" more obviously." Is this true? What episode is being referred to?

Well, thank God someone told him; it's about time!"

Then Anonymous joins in, to fight the *cough* 'good fight' and has said...
"Apparently, some of TPTB have told him that because he's the hero, he has to show that he "cares" more obviously."

But he'd rather play him as shallow and petulant. Please JM, save him from himself."

Shallow? Petulant? Show's he cares more? Okay, and what would you prefer? He's 'full of the joys of spring and decides instead of fighting to save his friends and the city, he goes off to pick flowers for the team instead?

You don't have to say the words to show that you care about someone. All you have to do is look at their body language, the little mannerisms, the expressions in their eyes. All that can say a hell of a lot more than words can.... Sorry Joe.

I don't want Sheppard to start being all lovey dovey and saying I love you, and hugging everyone, and saying I care. That from what we've seen so far would be out of character, it would be in another galaxy. ;) It would be like turning him into something he isn't and hasn't been from the beginning. That's how Joe's written him; to be occasionally moody, geeky, a bit of a loner. That's what makes him endearing to watch. I love the subtleties in acting, it doesn't have to be over the top, shouting from the rooftops to show someone cares. A simple look can do that.

Over the top works for McKay, because that's who he is. He's vibrant and annoying and way OTT on occasions, but that's him. What people love about McKay is that he gets to be arrogant and condescending and has absolutely no social skills, lol. Imagine if you said that McKay needed to be changed, that he needed to show he cared more? Wouldn't that seem OOC? It certainly would feel that way.

The writers know how to write for the characters and to pull the stories together. But, (and it's a biggie) the best person's to portray the emotions and feelings of what's been written are the actors. They 'live' in that characters head for what over 12 hours a day? So aren't they best qualified about how they should be played? And wouldn't they know what constitutes as out of character given how much time they spend 'being them'?

Thanks for letting me hog the blog Mr M, it's much appreciated. I'd ask you another question, but given my track run lately i'd probably be ignored. :P

*hugs*

Thanks for the great write up. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing into your head and your thoughts. But you know what? It's not as scary as I imagined. LOL.

Emily said...

I have a question regarding the naming of characters: When giving names to characters (especially those who are only in a single episode or so) how often do you pull random names out of the air versus naming them after someone or something specific? Like a family member, friend, production crew-member, favorite television show, etc? Feel free to use Emily...I won't mind. ;)

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe, thanks for the insight into the BTS workings of an episode getting to air.

Joe said ....there’s nothing less scary than a chatty replicator.

Um ... McKay working in a Wraith research lab would do it for me!! Quite why he is there reamins, for me, to be seen. I would have to see S3 PtII first I guess, which is why I am not rushing to download S4.

Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Bonsoir

1) Avez vous quelques informations à nous délivrer concernant "The Ark of the truth" ?

2)Vous interresez vous à la politique mondiale ?

3)Dans l'épisode de vendredi soir est ce une pure coincidence de voir le cadre de Jack en premier ? les cadres de Teal'c, Daniel... sont juste derrière ?

4) Pourquoi Mario Bross ?( là par contre je ne sais pas comment vous donnez la réponse ... )

Anonymous said...

Joe, you talk about seeing the various versions of episodes as they are being produced. Have you seen any of the equivalents for the SG1 films yet?

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe,

I thought Extra! had come to film some interviews with the cast and crew a couple months ago, and I was wondering if you've heard anything about when that segment will air.

Thanks!

~ the dancer of spaz

Anonymous said...

I was in bed by 10.39pm last night (Monday) but woke later in the night. About a minute later, my bed started moving - and I was alone. YUP, earthquake - and a good one. Then a couple of minutes later another, then ten minutes later a smaller 'shiver'.

I heard on the breakfast news that a quake - measuring 6.7 - occurred in the night off the west coast just near Milford sound.

Just as I was checking my emails at uni, another quake (at 10.30am) happened. I dont know the measurement, but the building swayed for a good minute or 2. Not even busses going past on the road outside makes this building shake - so I figure it's at least 4 something on the Richter scale.

Now I know why the birds have been 'twitchy' all morning, but I am worried about my cat. I havent seen her since 6pm last night. Two weeks ago, she slept through an earth tremor (off the coast of the Auckland Islands - waaaay down south) without so much as a twitch of her ears.

Anonymous said...

I loved Reunion! Well-paced, insightful and it has some wonderful character moments, which especially made the episode for me.

I was a little bit disappointed at first that Ronon seemed pretty quick in making his decision to leave Atlantis, because I thought he considered Shep and co as family. But then I realized that his fellow Satedans were his 'old' family, his very first family. He grew up with them, trained with them, fought with them for much longer than he's been with the Atlanteans, and so it makes sense that he would choose to join his people rather than stay in Atlantis.

Then the bit in the Wraith lab when Ronon hears gunfire and realizes Shep, Rodney and Teyla are in trouble. He bolts to help them. He doesn't hesitate; he doesn't care about anything other than getting to them. This is my favourite scene of the ep, and I've watched it over and over. It's little things like these that shows me how much Ronon cares about his 'new family', and I think that this is where he realizes it himself too.

As for Sheppard being stunned when the Wraith are about to take Rodney away, I have to say that I think that Joe F. made a good call here. In Sateda, Sheppard admitted to Teyla he'd do anything for any one of them, and since stunner blasts are far from deadly, it would seem out of character for Shep to let a few stunners trained on him stop him from trying to keep Rodney and Teyla safe. So I have to say that I'm glad Joe F. fought you on that one, because it's just more in line with how I see the character ;o)

Overall, I thought this was a great episode! And thank you for giving us a peak at the deleted scenes and for discussing with us how the Reunion script came to be. It's really much appreciated. Thank you!

By the way, I did have one question I wanted to ask: You mentioned in Saturday's blog that Ronon's big brother move in Reunion in reaction to the villager pestering Teyla is something we will see more often in season 4. Will we also see Ronon being protective of Sheppard and Rodney?

Thanks again!

Jenn

Anonymous said...

I have a question.. lol. Why does Ronon keep trying to hook Sheppard up with everyone? lol First Teyla, now Keller, who's next-- McKay?! Is it a kind of defense mechanism..he makes sure all the females around him like Sheppard- so he doesn't have to deal with anyone being interested in him?

Titine said...

Bonjour Joe,

Aujourd'hui j'ai fêté mon anniversaire.

Maintenant il est minuit passé et en France on est le 16 Octobre, je vous souhaite donc également un Joyeux Anniversaire.

Que cette journée vous apporte bonheur et santé en compagnie de vos proches.

Martine.

Anonymous said...

Michelle said...
I read the context of Joe F's Australia comments about showing that Sheppard cares. He said it's more interesting and layered to portray John as trying NOT to show he cares, although he really does. I respect Joe's view; he's clearly a smart guy. But honestly I have to ask why Sheppard would hide that he cares... and note that the layers don't always come across on screen. When he yells sarcastically at Rodney, it just seems he's yelling sarcastically... Having seen Doppelganger... it seems Joe played it TPTB's way, and it was awesome. :)


I don't think he was referring to scenes like yelling sarcastically at Rodney... I think it was more in reference to scenes such as e.g. Sheppard receiving the bad news about Weir in Adrift. And I've gotta agree with him on that front that seeing a man like Sheppard try and hold it together and not cry is a lot more powerful than seeing him cry.

Michelle said...

And I've gotta agree with him on that front that seeing a man like Sheppard try and hold it together and not cry is a lot more powerful than seeing him cry.

Yes, I sure agree with this. It's definitely a balance. I don't want Sheppard weeping and hugging, but I need to see hints of tenderness.

I can only speak to my own experience, but for whatever reason, I didn't really "love" Sheppard until I started reading fan fic (in S2) and saw the authors' sweet interpretations of his behaviors. YMMV of course. I think S4 has been great for Sheppard so far.

As for Rodney, yes I want him to remain the same geek at his core, but I have loved his growth and I hate it when he's thrown back to being the comic relief. Again, it's a balance.

Back on topic, I really enjoyed Reunion. :)

Anonymous said...

Jed said...
Any chance of finding out the origin of ronons gun ?


Anonymous said...
Hey Joe,...

4a) Ronon's gun seems to have a LOT of shots in it. We might assume it has a power source as we saw him plugging in a battery like thing in Instinct. Does he have a thousand of those or is it rechargeable?
4b) At the start of Vengeance, John tells Ronon to set his gun to stun and it barely damages the first superbug they fight. But later on, most of the superbugs go down from one blast from Ronon's gun. Is this different because he set it on kill, or he's just shooting them in a weaker spot?

I know it's a long list but answered or not thank you anyway. I look forward to seeing more greatness from your writing in Travelers.

Many thanks,
Tim


Joe has said we will learn more about Ronon's gun early this season. Since promo/trailer videos have shown Larrin with the same type of gun, we will probably see more info about this weapon in Travelers which was written by Paul Mullie and not Joe, even though his name appears on the writing credit along with Paul's (as does Paul's name with Joe in Reunion , which Joe wrote.)

Anonymous said...

hey joe -

have you considered writing novels instead of (or in addition to) scripts?

Anonymous said...

Wow. Everyone seems to want a hard as nails Shepherd. But he's always let his emotions come to the surface. The writers have never portrayed him as some sort of stone cold killer who doesn't feel anything.

Anonymous said...

LostCityGuardian said...
Wow. Everyone seems to want a hard as nails Shepherd. But he's always let his emotions come to the surface. The writers have never portrayed him as some sort of stone cold killer who doesn't feel anything.


My point exactly. Thanks to the writing and Joe F's acting, we see and understand Shep's emotions and how much he cares without it having to be stated in so many words. :) We like "trying to be hard as nails but letting his emtions show anyway" Sheppard. :D

Über said...

Joe...

Thank you for these cut scenes. Any chance any of them will make it to the DVDs?

I agree with most of the cuts that were made but I do think that it would have been proper and good to leave the bit about Weir in Carter's speech...not only highlighting how aware Carter is of their loss but also to add even more impact on her later conversation with John...because he'd know that she really understood how he felt.

MB

Anonymous said...

Woe, oh woe. I like Joe F.'s subtle, intelligent, understated acting style so much. Would I continue to watch even if he is forced to dumb it down? Being shallow and petulant myself, yes, as long as no one touches teh hair, but I would pout.