Thursday, October 4, 2007

October 4, 2007









With only two days to go in the shooting schedule, we’re in wind-down mode. Last night, we regulars got together for Carl’s send-off schnitzel dinner as Mr. Binder heads back to L.A. tomorrow, hopefully not for the last time. In attendance: Robert Cooper, Lawren Bancroft-Wilson, Carl Binder, Alex Levine, Alan McCullough, Martin Gero, and myself. Carl as so touched by the turn-out that he celebrated by polishing off not only his schnitzel, but Lawren and Rob’s schnitzels as well. He will be missed by all, but mostly by Lulu who has developed a bit of a crush on the guy.

A quiet day today highlighted by a Day 1 Mix of Spoils of War, an early cut of Outcast (both great episodes), and the nifty Atlantis jackets the set dec department had made (cool, no?). Looks like tomorrow will be a doozy that will see The Last Man wrapping late, late, late - or early, early, early depending on how you look at it. On tap: triage, battle action, on the bridge of the Phoenix.

As the other producers head off for their annual golf trip next week, Martin, Alan, and I will be holding the fort until reinforcements arrive. In addition to my production duties, I’ve lined up a couple of books to keep me busy: The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons, Ash: A History by Mary Gentle, and, of course, this months’ book of the month selections Lord Foul’s Bane and The Legacy of Heorot.

Today’s pics: The artwork of VFX artist James Raiz adorns the production offices, Carl’s schnitzel send-off feast includes a demonic Robert Cooper, Carl and I model our fab new Atlantis jackets.

Today’s video: Click on the date for glimpse at some typical Vancouver Fall weather. It's no wonder Duchovny complained so much.

Today’s mailbag: Lots!

Anonymous #1 writes: “if SG1s cancellation was due to money and ratings, do you ever blame MGM for not ferrying more of the production costs to keep the show alive?”

Answer: Quite the opposite in fact. From day one, MGM and Charlie Cohen have gone above and beyond the call of duty to what is to them a very important franchise.

Smiley face06 writes: “Too bad about Carter's discussion on O'Neill is being cut.”

Answer: Well, like I said, it will be part of a future deleted scenes special feature. And, if we get a fifth season pick-up, we’ll find a way to express the same sentiment in a finished episode.

Promogirl writes: “So who is the Steadicam operator in the second shot?”

Answer: That’s the talented Greg Fox on steadicam.

Muah! writes: “how is lulu doing? is the cone of shame gone?”

Answer: She’s doing great and the cone of shame is gone. In fact, today, Fondy is taking her to Bellingham for a follow-up visit with our doggy eye specialist.

Anna writes: “Will Carter get angry and yell at anyone this season?”

Answer: Yes. There’s one little exchange in particular that stands out - in Be All My Sins Remember’d where she dresses a certain character down for disrespecting one of her people.

Rhonda writes: “I have been wondering if season endings and season openers are filmed at the same time or is the season openers not yet written until the writers come off hiatus?”

Answer: No movement will be made on scripts for season five until we have a confirmed pick-up. If (hopefully when) we do, we’ll start spinning and breaking stories, then all head off to write in the month of December.

mctdcb writes: “I'm heading off to Las Vegas on Saturday...yeah for dollar parity! Is there anywhere you recommend to eat that's not too expensive, and would appease the entire family? And how about chocolate? I remember you posted something a while back about a store in the Forum Shops??”

Answer: Check out The Cheesecake Factory in the Forum Shops at Caesars (and get the corn tamales). And, while you’re there, swing by Vosges and sample the applewood-smoked bacon truffles.

Chevron 7 writes: “That mound of sand in the Atlantis corridor is very interesting. Care to speculate?”

Answer: I already know why it’s there. Why would I speculate? I leave that to you…

Zabadoo writes: “1.)Will we see effects as good as in Adrift more often this season? 2.)Will there be a lot more deaths this season? 3.)Can you give us any hint on what the season finale will be about?”

Answer: 1) Yes, definitely. 2) It depends what you mean by a lot. 3) Check out today’s video.

Jen Kirk writes: “At the SCB Rally in March Ivon and Martin were out there in full force filming and interviewing. Is any of that gonna be used for anything?”

Answer: It may find its way into a special feature.

Thors a ecrit: “Beaucoup de fan pense qu'Atlantis n'est qu'un "Copier-Coller" (ex : Doppelganger) de SG1 aux niveau Scénario. Un commentaire ?”

Answer: I’ll respond to this one in English. Thors writes “A lot of fans think that Atlantis is nothing but a carbon-copy of SG-1” and uses Doppleganger as an example. Well, for starters, there are going to be plenty of similarities between SG-1 and Atlantis because both shows are part of the same Stargate franchise, and both series follow the same template: team explores other worlds via the gate. As for similarities between scripts - again, given that we are working within the same (Stargate) universe, there will be similarities between certain story elements. Take Doppleganger, for instance, which has been compared to Cold Lazarus. The parallels being drawn are to the crystal entity that (in a nutshell) causes the targeted individual to hallucinate. Again, given that we are operating within the same story-telling framework, we it is not outside the realm of possibility (in fact, it’s even probable) that our heroes will encounter similar species or off-shoots of certain species - in this case, the crystal entity. Complaining about this aspect of the script is like complaining about using the goa’uld or the wraith on more than one occasion. The crystal entity may not be as prevalent as the aforementioned races, but we have already established them as part of the same Stargate universe.

Atlantisfannew1 a ecrit: “ 1)Si il y'a une saison 5, quand commencerez vous l'ecriture des épisodes? 2)Avez vous reçu mes cartes? 3)Vous n'avez jamais penser a ouvrir un restaurant?”

Reponses: 1) Ca depend. 2) Oui, merci. 3) Des fois, oui.

Anonymous #2 writes: “How long do you think that the shippers will hang around for confirmation that Sam and Jack are together, before they give up and find another show to watch?”

Answer: So, just to confirm, the only reason you’re watching is because you’re waiting for confirmation of Sam and Jack?

Jay writes: “Hey Joe, did you catch Carmen Argenziano on House last night?”

Answer: Yes! It was great to see Carmen again and he was terrific. Hell, the episode was terrific.

Nivea Soft a ecrit: “1)Vous sentez vous concernez sur d'éventuelle critique de stargate ?
2) Dans les livres on voit que les bouldogues, ronflent, rotent et pêtent ! en faites vous les frais avec Lulu ? 3) Pince mi et pince moi sont sur un bâteau ! pince mi tombe à l'eau il reste qui ? 4) vous allez répondre à mes questions ?”

Reponses: 1) N’importe quoi, il y’aura toujours les gens qui critiqueront. 2) Lulu est un bouldogue typique. 3) Pince vous? 4) Non.

Anonymous #3 writes: “How about you post that deleted scene on your blog instead of including it on the DVD?”

Answer: It may well end up on the SciFi website first.

Alipeeps writes: “Yikes! What happened to BamBam's hair?”

Answer: He’s wigged (or wigged out in this case).

Bex writes: “I need to know of a few places to eat in burnaby. Where would you say is best on a student budget, somewhere that does a decent steak, nice Italian…”

Answer: Hmmm. That’s tough. Lunch is usually a catered affair, but on the rare occasions when we order in…might I suggest Anton’s for Italian. Steak? No idea.

SMB_Books writes: “Indicating that a group of fans (“former” or not) are demonstrating an “inhuman amount of ignorance” is an interesting tactic to take…”

Answer: Specifically, I said that those fans who consider the obvious effects the internet, and the proliferation of channels have had on television ratings (and not just ours) as nothing more than excuses demonstrate an inhuman amount of ignorance - and I’ll stand by that statement. To completely dismiss the influence of all of the aforementioned is just downright silly. And to be perfectly honest, given your intelligent and well-argued past comments, I’m surprised you vehemently disagree.

SMB Books also writes: “ I have posted in the anti-season 4 thread on GW. From my observation, I can tell you there appear to be different kinds of fans who post in that thread.”

Answer: And there are fans who have posted their criticisms here as well. But there’s a big difference between someone criticizing changes in the show and someone claiming they have abandoned the show (the “former” fans) who nevertheless take the time to remain active criticizing a show they no longer watch AND enthusiastically root for its cancellation. In the case of the first group of critics - hey, so long as their posts are respectful, they’ll always have a forum here. In the case of the latter, I’d say their pointless behavior is fair game.

Camy writes: “Btw, didn't you mention that Scifi would broadcast in HD this season or did I dream that?”

Answer: No, you didn’t dream it. SciFi will be broadcasting season four in HD - eventually.

Anonymous #4 writes: “Are you still optimistic for a 5th season pick-up, now that Adrift has aired? Is it possible that the fact that Adrift leaked before it aired hate an affect on the ratings?”

Answer: Given that the episodes were only available for a limited amount of time before the airing of the actual finished version, I don’t think the leak influenced the ratings. As for season 5, I remain optimistic.

Fran writes: “What are your plans now when there is the 4 month break? What is the most challenging thing you've faced producing SGA? What is a good day for you?”

Answer: Write, read, and hopefully work on some scripts for Atlantis’s fifth season.

Louise writes: “Whilst the changes made to casting will obviously not be the only factor in affecting the show’s viewing figures, to say they have no effect is equally ridiculous.”

Answer: Where did I say, or even infer, that creative decisions have no effect on a show’s viewing figures?

Mrs.B108 writes: “Will the Seer reveal any prophecies or portents of things to come?”

Answer: Un huh.

113 comments:

Alanna said...

Ahahaha, fantastic. You look like an Olympic gold medalist in that last picture. =P

Anonymous said...

Wow, I was just reading your last post and click refresh by mistake and came to see ane new update! Cool, well as what I read about your last post, I believe everything well be alright. I don't have/want a DVR/Tivo, so I make my plans AROUND Stargate Atlantis and Heroes. Personal question tho, are you really going to keep the fish? If not then send them down (Texas) and I'll take care of them. lol

Anonymous said...

So how is it that Joe F's hair can get blown all over the place (see The Storm and The Ark) and bounce back livelier than ever, whereas poor BamBam's bewigged approximation looks like.. well a phrase involving hedges and being dragged through backwards springs to mind...? ;)

Must be some indefinable, inimitible characteristic of "teh hair" :D

Anonymous said...

Answer: So, just to confirm, the only reason you’re watching is because you’re waiting for confirmation of Sam and Jack?

Please Joe, tell me you haven't only just worked that out? Some of them have only been watching for that for years now. It's not even about the characters any more. They need to keep watching until you give them something, anything they can rub in the faces of the non shippers or the "other" shippers to prove that they are right and everyone else is wrong. You are, to quote the incomparable JMS, their last best hope. So all you have to do to keep them watching is never, ever give them what they're whining for. ;)

Chibi Hoshi said...

Good to know that even if the show isn't beloved, it IS talked about. (I saw the ranking in the heynielsen linked yesterday)

If I were you I would tell the following:

Majorsal wrote: my number one preference would be for it to be in an actual episode.

ME: And I bet the same thing can be said for the slashers, femslashers, and het shippers aka all-those-other-than-your-ship shippers. Add on top of that the GEN-ers who hate ANY of it and no matter what someone won't get what they want/someone will be unhappy.
If you got it in one episode, someone else will complain about it being in said episode. It is a no-win situation. How would you balance everyone, not just your own wants? Or do you think you are the only one who matters?

WHY pray tell, should the "winner" be you? Be happy with the subtext you got, it is better than nothing at all. And FYI: I shipped Sam/Daniel in SG1 yet didn't have a fit when the Sam/Jack, which DID annoy me, got thrown in. I still stuck it out and watched for the other non-ship elements that I liked. If your ship isn't doing well, learn to look past it. If you "lose", why ruin it for everyone else who could be "winning"? Don't be so shallow. If you only like the ship and can't find anything else to love then watch the shows geared towards those-who-watch-for-ship-only. Stop trying to change a show geared towards the Sci-Fi nitch. (Or maybe you just don't like the trends that more and more shows are catering to said nitch - don't worry, there is still plenty of that reality stuff for you)

SMB_BOOKS said: IF what drew them into the SGA world were the characters and the team and how they interacted with each other, when two of those characters are now, in effect, gone, it is hard to have the same enthusiasm and love for the show you once had.
But most Anti's (of the "former" fan classification) act like it won't attract a different crowd with those very changes? If the show see the birds in the bush as better than the little bird in their hand then let them. Anti's seem to act like because they are letting go they have been wronged and that the birds in the bush don't deserve a chance to be caught either.

Anonymous said...

Anyone who thinks acting is always a glamorous job should check out yesterday's video. Did he lose any skin filming that? That's how they strip paint from metal walls, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

just watched Doppleganger ... i know, i know, wait till its on TV, but i live in UK so my ratings don't count any way.... blah, blah. I'll buy the DVD i promise!

Just wanted to say how beutifull it looked. A lot of the atlantis exterior establishing shots were fantastic, and realy showed the true size of atlantis much better than in previouse seasons. I also liked the new darker feal/contrast lighting. Brillient!

I like the new balcony canteen area, and the way Kate's office looks. Everything this season just looks bigger and cooler!

Also Keller seems to be fitting in realy well, and i can't wait to see more of her!


Thanks!

Dovil said...

I think for some of the reactions you're getting it’s that intoxicating combination of too much emotional investment paired off with an entitlement complex. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised that if you hooked up some of the more extreme shippers that the physiological reactions that they have towards their ships mirror the same responses people have in the first flush of love.

Dude, you’re totally killing their endorphin rush, heh!

So for that faction the writers are in a lose/lose situation because they can never satisfy this fantasy relationship the viewer has with their stand-in tv boyfriend/girlfriend. It’s not character A’s feelings and relationship they want endorsed, it’s their own.

Which is why celebrities end up getting stalked, and why television is used as a bandaid and a substitute for a society where individuals are increasingly feeling isolated from each other.

That’s my 5 cent theory anyway. (And love the photos!)

J.Far said...

Wow, Joe those jackets are teriffic! Any chance one of us little people could get our hands on one?

Anonymous said...

Dovil said...
That’s my 5 cent theory anyway. (And love the photos!)


Oh man, that's way too deep for around these here parts! :lol:

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe,

I'm in film school right now, and I love the way that Martin Wood directs episodes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't Martin Wood directed all of the season premieres/finales and had some involvement in all of the mid-season 2 parters on Atlantis? If that is the case, does he gets those gigs because my opinion of him is shared by the people who choose the directors?

Thanks Joe. Keep up the wonderful work. Fingers crossed for season 5!

Anonymous said...

The Phoenix?

As in what? Tau'ri, Alteran or Asgard hybrid perhaps?

It's not a BC-305 though right?

How long before we wreck this one? ;)

Unknown said...

Ah, those Sam/Jack shippers... move on! I don't really ship anyone on either franchise, but remember Sam/Teal'c in Unending? It's *actually* canon, so there! And since Teal'c didn't forget anything, it's not erased (although sadly I did find Unending to be a leetle bit too convenient...) so Sam/Teal'c is more canon that Sam/Jack nyah nyah nyah!

...okay, so that was very immature and childish and I might get lynched but I just can't help but laugh at the desperation of some of the S/Jack shippers. Watch the show for its merits! It's no good, and no FUN, if there's no subtext or plot action on a show. If all the shippy ships became maintext, you might as well just go watch some fricken soap opera.

That totally wasn't the point of my post. The point of my comment is, would it be okay if I snag that totally awesome graphic by James Raiz and use it as my laptop wallpaper? :D

Bugguy said...

"on the bridge of the Phoenix" Am I the only one who noticed this? Joe, is earth getting a new ship or is this an ancient vessel? Thanks

Herbert said...

I am excited for tomorrow as I get to be one of the BG for Atlantis. No idea what I will be doing, but I hope you might be visiting the set tomorrow so I can say a quick "Hello" (and hopefully not get in trouble for talking on set). Have a great evening.

Franklin said...

Why is it that all the people 'behind the camera' seem to be male? And all the writers and production staff are male. I know that it isn't intentional (is it?) so why?

How is it all the women in front of the camera are pretty and young with nice figures? This is not fair for the fans who have lucked out in all three categories.

:-) ;-)

Anonymous said...

Re: Today's video--I don't envy anyone having to film with sand blowing around like that! But let me ask you: Does this mean that at some point Atlantis becomes beachfront property?

Anonymous said...

Yesterday, a few comments said that goldfish are hard to keep alive. That reminded me of the new show, "Back to you". Last week the goldfish kept dying. Did you happen to see it? What did you think?

My family likes the new geek show "Big Bang Theory". I wasn't sure at first but the writing is pretty good...lots of great humor. This week was hilarious with the one geek going into the cute girls messy apartment and cleaning it for her. (don't know anyone's name yet) So far we're going to keep watching it.

Do you have an opinion on any new shows that you think are hits?

BTW our goldfish has been alive for a long while. Just keep clean water in their tank and don't feed them too much...um..or too little!lol

Ours is like a puppy, if you go near the tank, it comes to you and swims up and down, begging for food. It's a real little porker!

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it was the free pizza or the can of coke (or both) I had for lunch, but I was able to hear Martin Wood's direction in todays clip.

Big ((((((HUGS))))) for Joe F.

Anonymous said...

In the long run, who has the better 'feel' for a character(as in "he wouldn't do/say that" or "that's out of character" - The Writers or the Actor?

and

How does it work when Paul and yourself are co-writers? Do you each write a particular scene, or for example, Paul writes better action, while you write better snark? Or just bounce words/ideas off each other until the whole episode is written?

Anonymous said...

Okay, when and if there is a fifth season, the other S/J shippers and I are going to remind you that you said, "And, if we get a fifth season pick-up, we’ll find a way to express the same sentiment in a finished episode."

I like the calendar in today's last picture. Very cute. :)

Anonymous said...

We pay for cable...some of that money has to go to Sci-Fi or my cable company would not be able to air it. I guess Sci-Fi doesn't count that money towards deciding whether to air a show? SGA and Dr. Who are the only shows I watch on Sci-Fi.

I would not like rolling ads at the bottom of the screen...way too distracting! I would not mind product placement. Who cares if McKay is drinking a Coke...it wouldn't distract or bother me at all. If SGA or Sci-Fi could get some money for that to keep the show going...I am all for that. I would hope that SGA wouldn't sell out and place things that are distracting or would never be found at Atlantis...just for revenue.

Unknown said...

That is some amazing artwork! My roommate and I were curious who signed it though. We can actually read Rachel Luttrell's name, and we know Joe Flanigan signed it too because he wrote "Sheppard" under his name, but who else signed it?

PS- We LOVE the show and think it's amazing!! Keep up the good work :)

Anonymous said...

SusanW said... may I ask, has "Hewlett 2.0" made his (or her) appearance? Are congratulations in order for Mr. H and his lovely wife-to-be?

David just posted on Twitter.com: "last day of season four...last day without Hewlett 2.0!"
I'm not sure if that referred to today or tomorrow, but it sounds like Jane(his fiance) is going to be induced.

Anonymous said...

"a magical little being named Grumblespire joins our heroes on their off-world adventures."

That just reminded me of a character that would be on LOTR or Harry Potter! I can just picture a cute little elf or dwarf. (ok maybe the dwarves aren't so cute..lol)

Tesajb said...

I fear you have reached a whole new level of geek in that jacket =D.

Unknown said...

LOL
LOVE the steve zissou pose!!!

majorsal said...

hi, joe,

the first part of my post is replying to a couple of other posters. the second part is replying to something you said.

~o~

anonymous #1 said: "They need to keep watching until you give them something, anything they can rub in the faces of the non shippers or the "other" shippers to prove that they are right and everyone else is wrong."

prove right about *what*? yes, there's ship wars, but 99 percent of every s/j shipper i've ever talked to just wants to see a fruition of this love story shown on screen. it is as simple as that. god, like any other storyline you love that you want to see realized.

anonymous #2 said: "ME: And I bet the same thing can be said for the slashers, femslashers, and het shippers aka all-those-other-than-your-ship shippers. Add on top of that the GEN-ers who hate ANY of it and no matter what someone won't get what they want/someone will be unhappy."

but this isn't an equal ship vrs ship situation. s/j is actually done *on the show*, whereas some others are just ships ppl want to see done.

anon #2: "If you got it in one episode, someone else will complain about it being in said episode. It is a no-win situation. How would you balance everyone, not just your own wants? Or do you think you are the only one who matters?"

to be blunt, i don't care about what everyone else wants *just to be fair*. there's not one, single show or movie or book that's written to be fair to every character and every fan type. art isn't made that way. i'm not going to think, 'i better not order that cup of coffee just in case some ppl that might not like coffee would be offended' or 'i'll order a round of coffee for everyone so it's fair and i'm not the only one getting some'. who the hell thinks like that???

i read the rest of your rant and it's been there, done that. i've heard it all before and you guys really need to come up with some new and creative ways to state the same things over and over and over.

~~~

Smiley face06 writes: “Too bad about Carter's discussion on O'Neill is being cut.”

joe/Answer: "Well, like I said, it will be part of a future deleted scenes special feature. And, if we get a fifth season pick-up, we’ll find a way to express the same sentiment in a finished episode."

joe, you just handed out water to dehydrated shippers!! THANK YOU!!!!




sally :D

Anonymous said...

Yeah..I know...I was silent yesterday and now I can't stop commenting!

Is the reason SGA only has about 5 main charactors and relies on a lot of recurring characters, due to budget constraints? Or do you just like a small ensemble? SGA has so many great recurring characters...it would be nice to see them more often. If I am wrong on my number, please correct me.
Thanks,
Kimberly

Über said...

Hey Joe...a few questions for you:

1. That print is just fantastic. :) I've never seen it before. Is it available anywhere for sale?

2. Martin Wood is my favorite SG director. How many episodes will he be directing this year?

3. Those jackets are way cool. Will average folks like me be able to purchase one at some point?

Thanks!

G Alice Owen said...

There is something said for enjoying the moment, whenever that moment presents itself - thinking too hard about it takes the joy out of it.

I love a good debate but at this point, I'm gonna sit back and enjoy the product of the extraordinary talents and sacrificial gifts of these fine folks.

Tomorrow is Friday and I will look forward to Season 4, Episode 2 and enjoy the program, simply enjoy it.

I may be getting a little morbid here but if some of the folks out there realized how short life really is; how precious the gift of enjoyment can be; and, how many times in life we complain about the small stuff, their outlooks would probably change.

Stargate is a gift - enjoy it for what it is.

Charles Schneider said...

Enjoy the remaining days on the job! I'm sure that things will quiet down with most of the office out. What types of things do you plan to do on your far eastern vacation this year?

Anonymous said...

Lord Foul's Bane! Love Donaldson's stuff - I reckon his "Gap" series is the best (add that to your Recommended Reading list)

Tell JoeyF that some women pay heaps of money to get their faces sandblasted - it's called "dermabrasion"...

chookas!
- Dana

majorsal said...

hi, joe,

i forgot to say -

that print is *fantastic*! i keep going back to it. i have two questions i'm hoping you can answer (concerning it), though.

*who's the woman in the upper left corner?

*who's the woman between mitchell and sheppard? (sheppard, btw, looks a bit like spock :p)




sally :)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hijack your blog, Joe, but I wanted to respond to some readers' comments:

Anonymous #1 said: "Some of them have only been watching for that for years now. It's not even about the characters any more."

Wow, that's so superior of you to think that YOU are watching it for the story, while shippers are ONLY watching it for the ship. I have been a sci-fi fan for a very long time, probably longer than you've been alive, and the reason I watch Stargate is, first and foremost, because it is an entertaining sci-fi show. I watched it before there was any S/J ship; if all I was interested in were relationships and not stories, I wouldn't be watching it.

Chibi hoshi said: "And I bet the same thing can be said for the slashers, femslashers, and het shippers aka all-those-other-than-your-ship shippers. Add on top of that the GEN-ers who hate ANY of it and no matter what someone won't get what they want/someone will be unhappy."

Sorry, but I don't think this is a fair comparison. The writers and producers of this show introduced the S/J ship, it's blatantly evident, and is not wishful thinking or the imaginations of a few.

Alex: "...okay, so that was very immature and childish and I might get lynched but I just can't help but laugh at the desperation of some of the S/Jack shippers. Watch the show for its merits! It's no good, and no FUN, if there's no subtext or plot action on a show. If all the shippy ships became maintext, you might as well just go watch some fricken soap opera."

Same as what I said above. What makes you think we only watch it for the ship? If that was the only thing I was interested in, I would just watch a soap. However, I firmly believe that character development -- and that includes a relationship that was introduced by the showrunners -- is an integral part of any show, regardless of genre. Character moments keep a show from being sterile, and simply about the special effects. As for subtext or plot, the S/J relationship is a story arc that, again, was introduced by the showrunners, and was never completed. I hardly think that a 1-minute dialog over an entire season to complete a story arc will turn the entire show into a soap opera. Some people are interested in the Goa'uld story arc... that was completed. Others are interested in the S/J story arc... this remains to be resolved.

Joe, my apologies again for hijacking your blog. I just want you to know that I enjoy reading your blog, appreciate your efforts in keeping us informed, and for producing two fine shows. Ship or not, I will be watching, and I do hope you get a season 5.

One final comment: I subscribed to TMN just so I could watch the current season of SGA. It adds an extra $20 per month on my Bell ExpressVu bill, so I pray that someday, the current season will be shown on a mainstream channel, like A Channel or CityTV, for example. (Sorry, but I think $20 is a lot!)

Anonymous said...

HI JOE,

That picture is the coolest thing ever! I want it as a huge poster in my room. That would be the greatest if you began selling copies.

Now my question:

Why aren't promos and trailers for Atlantis broadcasted on other networks to get the show known by more and more people? Other show do it.

Anonymous said...

no matter what someone won't get what they want/someone will be unhappy.
That's exactly right. Not everyone will be happy when it's all said and done. But just because shippers want some resolution, why would anyone think that they must think their ship is better than any of the others? What, they can't just ship and hope for some closure to something TPTB started?
I feel for the shippers. I've seen some real generalizations made about them, a lot of misconceptions, and a lot of rudeness direted towards them.

OhioAnne said...

Did the guy in the video say "no polenta in the next take"?

Other comment ...

When I get my DVD's, I look for the ones Martin Woods does the commentary for and watch those first. For those of us unschooled in his craft, he does an excellent job of explaining what his intent was and the issues that he had to deal with in filming. While virtually all the commentaries are fun, his I find to be the most educational for me.

Anonymous said...

"Answer: So, just to confirm, the only reason you’re watching is because you’re waiting for confirmation of Sam and Jack?"

""Plus the dinner date; the proposal; the ring; telling all the SGC and SGA that they've secretly been together since before S1; planing the wedding; the wedding; the honeymoon and photos all over Sam's office; Sam's pregnancy and birth of the first child (Grace of course); Grace's first steps and birthday party, the conception of the second child (turns out to be triplets called Gracie Jo, Jacqui Grace and Sammie Grace); then their first day at school; their first lot of measles/mumps; riding their first bikes and coming home from school upset at the nasty children and Mommy telling them via subspace communication that they are wonderful and beautiful and special; Jack being Daddy and interrogating prospective boyfriends from his retirement home; their graduations and weddings, birth of the first grandchild and finally a scene where Sam and Jack reminisce happily about their wonderful life and soul shattering love of each other. Did I miss anything? Oh yeah, the fishing scene! Can't miss the fishing scene where they tell Teal'c and Daniel that they have always been in love since their eyes first meet across the high school/elementary school fence!""

Sorry Joe, couldn't resist reposting my comments from yesterday. You must realize by now that the Sam and Jack shippers will never be happy unless they get more and more and more. Every time TPTB dish out a small tidbit, they want more. It's like dealing with the spoiled child who just will not accept that they are only allowed to have one small piece of chocolate. However they are never satisfied with that small morsel of chocolate because it is probably not as good as the bigger candy bar that might be in the next store/episode. Not only that, they also want to "prove" to the rest of the fans that "they are right and everyone else is wrong." It's all over their thread on GW.

The sad thing is the majority of the other shippers/slashers/gen-ers/whatevers are all perfectly happy to take what they get on the show and run with it however their fancy takes them. They are happy to let TPTB run things how they want without constantly making more and more demands and spamming this blog with them.

I suppose a little maturity and imagination goes a long way.

Sam/Jack - yes still bored now.

Chibi Hoshi said...

Alex said: Ah, those Sam/Jack shippers... move on! I don't really ship anyone on either franchise, but remember Sam/Teal'c in Unending? It's *actually* canon, so there! And since Teal'c didn't forget anything, it's not erased (although sadly I did find Unending to be a leetle bit too convenient...) so Sam/Teal'c is more canon that Sam/Jack nyah nyah nyah!

Welcome to the multishipper lane. It is a fun place to be. Watch your step, the bat**** insane country is over yonder.

And EWE
*brandishes holy water at daytime drama*

See, NOT a stake. THAT is how you live and let live. I HATE soaps but I don't try to get them canceled so that the people who ARE happy won't have a (what they consider a great) show to enjoy to their hearts content.


And to Majorsal - not sure WHY I appear anon to you. (slaps blogger)

Sorry, I mistook you for the OTHER shipper base. The Sparky vs Sheyla variety. But either way you still have to contend with the Gen-ers, which half of the watchers fall into (AVID shippers are usually female - males usually don't care if it happens or not (they may ship it but rarely care if it HAPPENS)).

Just because a ship is UST/canon instead of just subtext/interpreted doesn't mean the gen-ers (and even the shippers) want to see it HAPPEN/in-depth scrutiny of it. Unless you are a OTP shipper that needs vindication (I WIN so THERE types), most of it is about perceived wants; how one sees oneself in the character and their OWN longing for a relationship like that, and not the whole story/character development that may have plenty of bumps in it if the relationship comes to fruitation (or they want to SEE those bumps which is NOT the point of Sci-Fi). Or at least that is the trend: See moonlighting curse.

Your bluntness clearly shows you don't care about the others. Yes nothing is fair to every character/reader or audience member. My point is: WHY does it have to be fair to YOU? WHY have the: If 'I' don't win no one can - attitude. PUT THE STAKE DOWN. *hands you a vial of holy water* And the whole, we are bigger/the ships aren't equal thing; the other ships can grow in size if allowed to. Why can't it be allowed to grow? If more UST moments are provided to the other ships and TPTB completely TRASH your ship why do you CARE? Why root for everyone to 'lose'? If a scene shows Carter tease Sheppard or Lorne why scream; 'The show needs to be canceled/This show SUCKZ!'? Why not just say, 'I personally don't like/have lost interest in this show', and leave?

And I'm NOT a Gen-er (I've never been in a Gen-er vs Shipper discussion), I've shipped HARD but when I "lose" (like in Lost) I stopped watching. I don't wish the show fails miserably though.

Anonymous said...

Dovil said...

"So for that faction the writers are in a lose/lose situation because they can never satisfy this fantasy relationship the viewer has with their stand-in tv boyfriend/girlfriend. It’s not character A’s feelings and relationship they want endorsed, it’s their own.

Which is why celebrities end up getting stalked, and why television is used as a bandaid and a substitute for a society where individuals are increasingly feeling isolated from each other."

I agree totally. In fact there have been some comments from regular posters here that would actually freak me out a bit if I were Joe and my likely movements were easy to predict i.e. favorite restaurants, wife's business.

Anyway thanks for Adrift Joe, it was very good. Looking forward to part 2.

Anonymous said...

Joe's answer: "To completely dismiss the influence of all of the aforementioned is just downright silly."

Same can be said for you and other PTB at Bridge and elsewhere, Joe, when it comes to direction of the shows (both SG-1 and SGA), how changes are/were handled or implemented, how main characters are/were handled/mishandled, how decisions made may not have been a success, how those same decisons may have hurt the show with the fans and, ultimately had some impact on the ratings, etc., "to completely dismiss the influence of all of the aforementioned is just downright silly".

Yes maybe Tivo, time slot, publicity (or lack thereof), DVR, VCR, downloads, iTunes, etc., hurt the show but it is silly to continue to deny that how changes made were handled and implemented also played a part in SG-1 ratings and will likely play a part in SGA ratings. Let's see - goose/gander, pot/kettle, anyone?

Keirberos said...

Dear God, please tell me there is some way we can get a hold of a copy of that image... Man, maybe that's just wistful thinking on my part, but could you please tell James Raiz that that is just ... gorgeous. I know I sound like I'm exaggerating or overreacting, but that is quite literally awesome in the awe-inspiring sense.

Sad to hear Carl's taking off, but, hopefully that won't be the last we see (or hear) of him. :) I guess the horror stories (erm, make that 'anecdotes') would just lose the pizzazz.

*crosses fingers* I suppose it'd be fruitless to express the sentiment, 'I hope Lifeline's good tomorrow'? I'll have you know, I backed out of a trip to a Renn Fest for this. :) The fact that it was going to be me, my parents, some of their friends and a small baby had nothing to do with it.

Though may I ask, are you serious about the 'deleted clip' possibly making it to SciFi online? Obviously, I can't see it making it there until the episode actually aired (or at least much closer to then), but that would definitely be a small nice something look forward to, beyond the episodes themselves.

Anonymous said...

"Where did I say, or even infer, that creative decisions have no effect on a show’s viewing figures?"

Every time you've attempted to downplay the myriad of criticisms about the changes in Season 4, yesterday's blog just being the latest example.

Like it or not, the fact is that negative word-of-mouth, whether about a TV series, a movie, a book, or anything else, WILL have an impact on how that work is recieved by the public. How much of an impact the negative reaction to the changes on SGA will have is something that simply cannot be counted by anything as flawed as the Nielsen system is. But your blindly optimistic head-in-the-sand dismissal of such criticism as irrelevant is just as dangerously ignorant as you accuse the anti's of being.

It's also grossly unprofessional in terms of SGA's future. There is no guarantee that the changes that have been made will solve the show's problems. It may be that addressing the criticism instead of ignoring it will turn out to be a better answer to the problems than the patches that have been pasted on so far.

There are plenty of us who are upset by the changes who do care about the show and are still watching despite our disappointment. We're just looking at how to save the show from a different perspective than you are. That doesn't make our opinions wrong.

Anonymous said...

Why all the sand? Did they have to move (again) to a desert planet?

Oh well, have to wait for season five. After all these years [actually hasn't been that long, I didn't start watching till 2005] I guess another year won't matter.

How are the goldfish? Have you named them yet?

Please answer these two questions. 1) What's your favorite Star Wars movie? 2) Have you ever read Quantum Prophecy The Awakening by Michael Carroll?

Thanks!

K8T said...

Joe,

I've been reading your blog for a couple of weeks now. I just have to say thanks for the laughs and fantastic food and set pics.

I have a few questions:
1) Do you watch SGA on Fridays or do you watch other shows? If you have time that is.

2)Are you guys worried about the competition from the Network shows like 20/20, Las Vegas or Numb3rs?

3)Do you watch hockey?

4)Any Thanksgiving plans?

I'm heading out to Panorama tomorrow for the long weekend. Sadly I will have to survive without Internet access for the entire long weekend.

Happy Thanksgiving! Eat lots!

-Katie

Unknown said...

Mr. Mallozzi,

I may have missed it, since it was several years ago, but did anyone ever account for the hit that the ratings must have taken when Comcast switched the SciFi channel from 'Cable' to 'Digital Cable' ? I know it forced ME to get Satellite. I have never seen that little change mentioned when discussing ratings.

Oh, and Thanks for EVERYTHING !!
:>D

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
"Where did I say, or even infer, that creative decisions have no effect on a show’s viewing figures?"

Every time you've attempted to downplay the myriad of criticisms about the changes in Season 4, yesterday's blog just being the latest example.

Like it or not, the fact is that negative word-of-mouth, whether about a TV series, a movie, a book, or anything else, WILL have an impact on how that work is recieved by the public. How much of an impact the negative reaction to the changes on SGA will have is something that simply cannot be counted by anything as flawed as the Nielsen system is. But your blindly optimistic head-in-the-sand dismissal of such criticism as irrelevant is just as dangerously ignorant as you accuse the anti's of being.

It's also grossly unprofessional in terms of SGA's future. There is no guarantee that the changes that have been made will solve the show's problems. It may be that addressing the criticism instead of ignoring it will turn out to be a better answer to the problems than the patches that have been pasted on so far.

There are plenty of us who are upset by the changes who do care about the show and are still watching despite our disappointment. We're just looking at how to save the show from a different perspective than you are. That doesn't make our opinions wrong."

To whoever THIS Anonymous is - I give you kudos - this is a wonderful post. I basically tried to say much the same thing but not nearly as well. I give you props for this one, very well said.

The above is some sage advice TPTB should consider especially in light of what happened with SG-1 -- to have ignored all of the legitimate, well thought out, criticism of SG-1 beginning in Season 9 with how the new characters were introduced and how other changes were handled and how the 3 remaining main characters were mishandled was short-sighted to say the least. I hope for better for SGA.

Anonymous said...

re: the video

Did he say "once more witho no polenta"? I'm guessing that would be the "sand"? Why polenta? Less harsh than sand, but I'd think there'd be any number of substances that fit that description, and are less likely to attract pests in not completely cleaned up.

(Sorry if this comes through more than once- tried to post earlier and the Publish Your Comment button did not seem to be working- nothing visible happened on my end anyway.)

Mackenzies Momma said...

*sanps* darn in a way i was hoping lulu still had the cone of shame i'd invite her to join the club for those of us who are relegated to being unable to do normal activities.

I fell in a glorious attempt by my feet to reproduce a scene recently seen in David's movie(which is amazing, but i digress) and the next thing i know i am laying on the ground my wrist twisted under my back, my head pounding and the sky spinning. I am now relegated to wearing a soft splint for the next 7-10 as my wrist has the smallest hairline fracture and being the brain surgeon that i am i managed to also sprain the thing.

Jinjifore said...

I absolutely loved the Ash books. It took me a while to get around to starting them, but once I started I couldn't stop. I remember quite clearly having to make an emergency "dear god the bookstore closes in 15 minutes" run to get the last two books.

Some trivia about The Fall of Hyperion: When the book was first released, one of the pages was printed twice, and another page ended up being omitted. Normally a nuisance, sure, but in this case that particular page contained a fairly vital plot point. The publisher offered to send the missing page if readers wrote to request it. I imagined that they'd send a crappy photocopied page of the missing text or something, but instead they sent a nicely formatted replacement page that was trimmed to fit neatly right into the book. Very classy.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a fifth season of Atlantis. The last fourteen combined seasons of television haven't given me any reason to think that the franchise can't handle change--far from it. Back in the early days of SG-1, for instance, I could never have imagined that I would enjoy a show called SG-1 without Jack O'Neill in it every week, but along came the last few seasons, and darned if I didn't. So far, I'm 1/20th very pleased with the fourth season, and right now that's good enough for me.

Anonymous said...

Not only that, they also want to "prove" to the rest of the fans that "they are right and everyone else is wrong." It's all over their thread on GW.

Um...no. It has nothing to do with proving anything. What it does have to do with is wanting an arc that has been going for years to finally be resolved. For it to be canon so that maybe we can put this to rest and there won't be anymore questions about this ship. And if it does have anything to do with proving things it's because we get tired of having to defend ourselves against ship bashers. After a while you just get sick and tired of dealing with the hatefulness and you just want vindication...

Fran said...

I really love the Special Effects that are done in the show. Especially the battle scenes in space. The Effects are so cool. Curious minds want to know.

Will we fans ever be told how it is done? Who does it? and How long does it take to do?

Fran

majorsal said...

Chibi Hoshi said: "Your bluntness clearly shows you don't care about the others. Yes nothing is fair to every character/reader or audience member. My point is: WHY does it have to be fair to YOU? WHY have the: If 'I' don't win no one can - attitude. PUT THE STAKE DOWN. *hands you a vial of holy water* And the whole, we are bigger/the ships aren't equal thing; the other ships can grow in size if allowed to. Why can't it be allowed to grow? If more UST moments are provided to the other ships and TPTB completely TRASH your ship why do you CARE? Why root for everyone to 'lose'? If a scene shows Carter tease Sheppard or Lorne why scream; 'The show needs to be canceled/This show SUCKZ!'? Why not just say, 'I personally don't like/have lost interest in this show', and leave?"

if you're going to debate this with me, you should really *know* your subject. i think you're mixing me up/with some other person or group.



sally :)

Fran said...

The new Atlantis Jackets look great but the CANADIAN FLAG is on the wrong side. It should be on the left arm.

Fran

Amz said...

In regards to the similarities between some SG-1 and Atlantis episodes, to suspend my disbelief I like to think it's an indication of Axialism. I mean, even in earth's own history there were similar things occuring at around the same time which could only be explained by the theory of Axialism (inexplainable parallels).

In the production side of things, it seems logical to write episodes with some similarities. It would strike me as odd if there were none actually.

lizzyshoe said...

That video is awesome! I'm so excited for the rest of this season I can't hardly stand it. Thanks for the teaser!

Michelle said...

I loved hearing Martin Wood say on your video, "All right, we need one more with NO POLENTA!" What a classy operation to use polenta in place of sand! Was that all polenta in your earlier picture of the hallway filled with sand?

I can't believe you're 1 day of filming shy of finishing Season 4. To me, it went by so fast! Congrats to everyone.

Is part of your cliffhanger strategy to leave yourself options in case some of the actors choose not to return to the show (perish the thought)?

Anonymous said...

Answer: So, just to confirm, the only reason you’re watching is because you’re waiting for confirmation of Sam and Jack?

No comment!;)
But about what Majorsal said:" s/j is actually done *on the show*, whereas some others are just ships ppl want to see done." it is so true!!! Carter always loved Jack...even when she was with Pete, she always had feeling for him. Why do you think she went to see Jack to talk about her second thoughts about the wedding? Because she KNEW she was going to make "A BIG ,HUGE MISTAKE" in marrying the wrong guy. Carter always been a smart girl. She always knew what was good or not for her! Anyway...RCC is a shipper of S/J... he can't deny it... he is the one who wrote Threads!!

take are joe!! Love your pictures!!!

Anonymous said...

What about Asian films? Are you or anyone on the set into them?

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe, love the print very cool. I hate to say this tho, why do we need to have Sam's cleavage thrust at us? I mean really is that what defines the character now?

Anonymous said...

Quelles sont les influences des auteurs de Stargate ? Je veux dire, est-ce qu'ils s'inspirent de quelque chose pour donner une atmosphére particuliére à un épisode ? (je pense par exemple à Doppelganger, donc j'ai vu des extraits sur le site de la MGM, ça a l'air absolument génial ! Ou encore à des épisodes comme Home, The Eye ou Critical Mass...)

En tout cas, merci de rédiger ce blog qui nous donne notre dose de Stargate chaque jour^^

sam said...

Did you happen to watch Pushing Daisies the other night? Like it? It's so very whimsical.

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe,


1. How many episodes in season 4 will have a zpm story, or zpm quest-related story as main or secondary theme? This of course excludes Adrift and Lifeline.

2. Also will we ever see or hear about the fates of the three full zpms that were encountered in the past seasons: the one the Daganians have, the one defending the antartic base and the one aboard the odysee battlecruiser.

3. Will the Tria appear or be talked about in season 4?

4. Any regrets during the filming or production of season 4?

5. What's your gut feeling on season 5? Pecentage wise, 0% not gonna happen...100% for sure with flying colors.


Thanks you sir

Alicia

Anonymous said...

Bonjour Joseph

-Grâce à stargate plusieurs personnes ont eut envie de se mettre à l'écriture de scénarios, j'aimerais donc savoir ce que vous pensez des fans, qui grâce à vous, ont décidé de devenir scénariste?

-Et enfin que pensez vous des blagues du genre: Monsieur et Madame Disoirjesorsavecjack ont une fille, comment s'appelle-t-elle? Vous aimez?
......au fait la réponse c'était Sam car Samedi je sors avec Jack!

ok je retourne chez les Nox! Merci de vos réponses!

Unknown said...

Phwoar! Ship wars! Wars in general! Conflict arises in groups banded around a common factor. C'est la vie, ladedum :)

James Raiz's graphic is as pretty as ever. It's a lot of fun trying to pick out who's who :D

We don't get season 4 yet :( we're stalled at the season 3 mid-season hiatus D: I think we'll get it back in November yay.

Anonymous said...

Wow, the artwork by VFX artist James Raiz is amazing! You guys should sell prints! It would definitely be something I would love to buy!

Very nice shots of you in your new Stargate Atlantis jacket! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend!

Sabina :)

Unknown said...

Hello to anonymous commenter who commented on my comment; sorry Joe for spamming your comments page because I forgot to reply to the anonymous commenter who commented on my comment :( You can just disapprove it, of course :)

So, to anon person:
Okay.

Anonymous said...

A l'epoque, SG1 servait d'hote -contre leur gré -au programme d'exploration nommé urgo (en francais du moins).

En tant que scénaristes, l'idée d'un tel implant adapté aux besoin de l'équipe SG1 a t elle été évoqué ?.

En espérant une cinqieme saison (et plus), bonne journée.

Thomas.

Franklin said...

If the worse happens and there is no series 5 any chance you will be selling off your office contents? The picture by James Raiz is great.
Mr Flanigan is surely related to Lucy - they have the same ears.

A coloured version with loads of kilted Scotsmen (with swords and bagpipes) with Carson/Paul in the middle surrounded by all his adoring tartan turtles would be great.

I wish that I was artistic.

Anonymous said...

Joe –

First, thank you for responding to my post. It would have been easy to just let me have my rant and ignore it, but you chose to address my comments and I appreciate that.

And now, on to the tennis match…. =)

“To completely dismiss the influence of all of the aforementioned is just downright silly. And to be perfectly honest, given your intelligent and well-argued past comments, I’m surprised you vehemently disagree.”

Actually, I don’t vehemently disagree with your assertion that there are other things that will affect the ratings. As I stated in my post, I do think the cast changes WILL have an affect on the ratings, but I don’t presume to think that will be the only thing that will affect the ratings.

What I disagreed with was your decision to use the words “inhuman amount of ignorance”. Granted, that may be your genuine feeling on the matter, but is labeling a group of fans in that manner necessary? Keep in mind that some may truly be former, and some may still be hanging in there, hoping against hope that things might change again in Season 5.

“But there’s a big difference between someone criticizing changes in the show and someone claiming they have abandoned the show (the “former” fans) who nevertheless take the time to remain active criticizing a show they no longer watch AND enthusiastically root for its cancellation.”

Yes, there is a difference. I will not attempt to speak for the group of folks out there who truly wish the show would get canceled. I’m still in that group that is hoping we get a Season 5 so I have a chance for many more episodes with my favorite character returning to the team. I do have a chance, don’t I?

And a completely unrelated question – if email for you is sent to the Bridge Studios general email inbox, will it get forwarded to you?

SMB_BOOKS

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe.

Love the jacket and the Canadian flag. : )

Have you seen CALIFORNICATION, Duchovny's new show? It is just brilliant. Love the writing and the acting. The best show, after STARGATE of course, on TV.

PLoker said...

Joe,

uh... I'd love a jacket... I did start the awesome bookclub bandwagon. Ok just ignore me lol, i'm only kidding I know that entitles me to nothing but smiles.. Which I will take :)

Loved the video!!
Have fun on your final day.
Pen

Anonymous said...

I know that you've said that you are a Sam/Jack and a Daniel/Vala shipper, but I think that down deep inside you're actually a 'closet' Sam/Daniel shipper. Fess-up Joe. You know you are.

Seeing as how you just love to 'stir the pot', think of how much fun it could be to ship Sam and Daniel. Remember the Sam/Jack shippers having convulsions when the picture of Michael and Amanda kissing was accidentally released with the episode pictures for "Resurrection"? They thought it was Sam and Daniel. It was great. I think you need to get a hold of that picture and post it everyday on your blog with a warning that if the Sam/Jack shippers don't stop complaining your going to start shipping Sam/Daniel.

Give it some thought Joe. I think it could be a lot of fun. Let me know ahead of time though so I can run and get my popcorn ready.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
It's also grossly unprofessional in terms of SGA's future. There is no guarantee that the changes that have been made will solve the show's problems. It may be that addressing the criticism instead of ignoring it will turn out to be a better answer to the problems than the patches that have been pasted on so far.


Oh, so the best way to "solve the show's problems" is to address the criticism... in other words, to give you what YOU want to see in the show, right? What about the other people who like other things about the show... who LIKE what you criticize or would criticize whatever changes you think should be made? Everybody likes different things and just because you criticize something, doesn't mean your criticism is any more valid that anyone else's. So which variety of criticism are you suggesting Joe should address then?

Anonymous said...

Yes there are Sam/Jack shippers who watched S9-10 and are watching Season 4 just to get a glimpse of a possible happy resolution, but you shouldn't be dissing them. Especially with the current ratings. Just saying...

Unknown said...

You know, when some of my husband's shows weren't doing well, I would give him the reasons (dvr, the overall slump of numbers on all networks, etc.) too, but then he would say, "Yeah, but (the head of the network) doesn't want to hear excuses. He still wants the numbers."

Are SciFi execs just as immobile in their thinking regarding ratings, or are they actually taking into account the reasons for the lesser numbers? I know fan popularity doesn't mean much as real ratings, but isn't it time for a paradigm shift, and couldn't a "smaller," more niche network like SciFi lead the way?

Maybe someday advertising on the web will be as important as TV ads seem to be now, and driving viewers to a website will be the main goal of a TV show. Or maybe I'm naive, I don't know.

Anonymous said...

chibi hoshi said:
"But most Anti's (of the "former" fan classification) act like it won't attract a different crowd with those very changes? If the show see the birds in the bush as better than the little bird in their hand then let them. Anti's seem to act like because they are letting go they have been wronged and that the birds in the bush don't deserve a chance to be caught either."

I may be interpreting your comments incorrectly, so if I'm missing the mark here, my apologies. I've only had one cup of coffee so far today. =)

I can't speak for all fans unhappy with the cast changes. I can only speak for myself.

I don't personally wish any SGA fan to be unhappy with the show.

I don't agree with the cast changes. That's my beef. I don't expect it to be everyone else's.

I know some people are thrilled with the cast changes. That's their choice. Just like I choose to be vocal about how I'd like a certain someone to come back to the team in Season 5. It doesn't mean I think the rest of the show is crap now that my fave is gone.

It means I am sad she's not going to be in the mix anymore. I'll miss her presence. I feel she brought depth and character to the team. She served a purpose for me on the show. I'll miss that. I want that back.

I don't begrude any SGA fan their ability to find Season 4 wonderful and awesome. If it works for them, super.

I just want it to work for me again, too. =)

SMB_BOOKS

Jim From Jersey said...

Hey Joe,

A few things:

1) The sand-blaster thingy is too damn cool. I want one.

2) In all of your foodie-ness, I don't think I've ever seen you discuss your libation of choice. Beer? Wine? Scotch? Mixed?

3) "Adrift" was fan-f'ing-tastic! It had everything we've come to expect from a great Stargate episode.

4) Do you find the harshly critical and sometimes argumentative- bordering on rude- comments of some of your blog posters to be:
A) Helpful
B) Annoying
C) Humorous

5) This may be a question more appropriate for MGM, but I'll throw it at you: Why is it that the Stargate franchise doesn't take greater advantage of toy licensing? For example, Star Trek had a great line of phasers and tricorders. Why don't we see any affordable ZAT's or Jaffa Staff weapons? Sure, you can buy a really expensive resin prop replica, but why not a toy ZAT with lights and sound?

Thanks, and have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

You know Joe, I only go to the GW forum when I feel up to a little whine and cheezy, I lurk in the anti thread for the whine and the shippers thread for the cheezy.

♥ANAIS♥ said...

Salut joseph =)

Ahhhhhhh je suis trop happy =DD

Ohhaaohhhhhhhhhh !!

*je saute partout*

Ahhhhhhh que vous êtes trop beau!!!
J'adore ces photos de vous!! Vous avez trop la class!!!!Magnifique=D

Merci de m'avoir répondu =)!!!!
Sa me rend super heureuse!!!
Outch je croyez que vous alliez recevoir la lettre pour votre anniversaire, mais elle est un peu en avance^^! La carte avec une plage, bas c'est un endroit pas loin de chez moi et ensuite c'elle avec la rose je vous les envoyez car je l aime bien^^! jespert que sa vous plait^^!

Si vous acheteriez un restaurant je suis sur qu'il aurait du succés^^!

lol merci aussi pour la video^^! Moi je veux bien être a la place de joe que si on remplace le sable par de l'eau, comme sa je tomberais malade et je n'irrais pas a l'école lol!

Vous savez que chaque matin en me réveillant je parle de vous a ma mére? je pensse qu'elle va devenir folle lol!

Encors 11 jours =)=)=)

Mes questions:
1) Quel épisode de stargate atlantis trouvez vous le plus triste?
2)vous croyez au extraterrestres ?
3)Vous aimez le rock?

Bon allez! Merci Merci infiniment! <3<3<3<3!! Je vous fait d'énorme bisou!!<3 A demain!!!! Je vous aime<3<3!!!

Votre plus grande Fan!!<3<3 =D

Anonymous said...

Hello joe!

Was that Joe or BamBam in the vid?

Michelle Lunsford said...

Regarding the airing of Atlantis in HD, I recently discovered that the Universal HD channel is airing the show on Thursday nights. Folks who have HD options via their cable or dish service might want to check it out.

And on that topic, my husband and I caught "Sanctuary" in HD on the channel last night. We could really tell the difference in sound and picture quality. What a treat to be able to enjoy even more of the hard work you and others of the team put into the production of this show. I think we realized, for the first time, that you can actually hear the sound of water in the background when someone is out on one of the Atlantis piers. Very cool! ; )

Anonymous said...

Jim From Jersey said... "Why don't we see any affordable ZAT's or Jaffa Staff weapons? Sure, you can buy a really expensive resin prop replica, but why not a toy ZAT with lights and sound?"

Ooooh...cool! I want a ZAT...I'm sure my sons would want one too!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful artwork !

Pensez vous que les scénaristes de la série ont épuisés ( pour SG1 et Atlantis ) toutes les possibilités de scénarios, actions etc...certains affirment que la série s'essouffle niveau scénarii, qu'en pensez vous ?

Merci et bonne fin de semaine.
Yaz'

Anonymous said...

I know Weir is gone...but if we can't have her back as normal Weir...can we at least have her as Evil Asuran Kickass Queen Weir? That would be cool and what a great role to play!

Anonymous said...

About "Evil Asuran Kickass Queen Weir"
That is when we get a season 5! ;~)

Anonymous said...

Is Jacob Carter ever coming back [on Atlantis or the movies]?

Anonymous said...

1)Will any of the decisions made this year, continue to haunt the crew over the course of the season?

2)Will morality play a part at all this year?

Elle said...

Where did I say, or even infer, that creative decisions have no effect on a show’s viewing figures?

I wasn't going to reply - I think plenty of others have covered the points. I may well have formed the wrong impression from your post, and if so, I'm sorry - but that's how I read it.

But I'm English and slightly OCD which means two things - 1) my ratings don't count for anything anyway (even though I still watch), and 2) imply - (Sorry)

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,

NBC Universal made a press release statement earlier this week that Sci-fi was up in younger viewship which are key demographics. They included Eureka, Ghost Hunters, and Stargate Atlantis. Do you think this is a good sign for a 5th season pickup? Thanks!

Best,

Briangate78

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,

1)Pourquoi la France n'est elle pas reprèsentée parmis les personnages d'Atlantis???Vous n'aimez pas la France??

2)Jouez vous d'un instrument de musique? Si oui lequel et depuis combien de temps?

3)Quel est votre acteur ?? et pourquoi???

Merci d'avance en espèrant avoir une réponse ^^!! Bonjour à Lulu de ma part lol ^^!!

TWSneblly said...

Well I don't have a Stargate related question this time but I am a huge fan. I am wondering if you could help me with my future plans...I really want to become a part of the television business in directing or visual effects. And I was wondering if you have any advice for me as what to take or how I can intern at a studio or how I get involved in trying to audition or what ever it is to become a director on a show and a visual effects artist at a studio.
Thank you very much

Anonymous said...

"Anonymous said...

I know that you've said that you are a Sam/Jack and a Daniel/Vala shipper, but I think that down deep inside you're actually a 'closet' Sam/Daniel shipper. Fess-up Joe. You know you are.

Seeing as how you just love to 'stir the pot', think of how much fun it could be to ship Sam and Daniel. Remember the Sam/Jack shippers having convulsions when the picture of Michael and Amanda kissing was accidentally released with the episode pictures for "Resurrection"? They thought it was Sam and Daniel. It was great. I think you need to get a hold of that picture and post it everyday on your blog with a warning that if the Sam/Jack shippers don't stop complaining your going to start shipping Sam/Daniel."

I swear that this particular Vala/Daniel shipper would hunt Joe or any other SG-1 writer if this happened. Daniel belongs to Vala. Don't touch him.

Anonymous said...

Joe, you're not getting the point. The bone of contention is that you will not admit that the cast changes could in any way, cause a drop in ratings.

Are you really that naive? Or are you merely telling yourself that to validate your decisions?

To deny changes to the case could have an impact is to be as deluded as you're accusing the anti season 4 people of being.

Anonymous said...

Un petit coucou avant d'aller me coucher!!

je pensse fort a vous <3
Et je ferais de joli rêve de mon scénariste préféré =)

ps: la question de mélanie est pétinante!

Pourquoi la France n'est elle pas reprèsentée parmis les personnages d'Atlantis???

S'il y a une saison 5, il y'aura des francais?? snif s'il vous plait , je vous en souplit =(

Bon bah jespert que vous allez y réfléchir^^!!

Aller énorme bisou!! a demain <3<3, bonne journée et bonne nuit!!

Anonymous said...

Actually I have better idea: you can threaten S/J shippers thay you start another S/J ship - Sam/John ;)

Anonymous said...

Q: dude you never mentioned that Joe Flanigan won Best Actor/Television in the SyFy awards... Tell him congrats from us please. Have a good one.

Unknown said...

*waves*

"Anonymous said...

Every time you've attempted to downplay the myriad of criticisms about the changes in Season 4, yesterday's blog just being the latest example.

Like it or not, the fact is that negative word-of-mouth, whether about a TV series, a movie, a book, or anything else, WILL have an impact on how that work is recieved by the public. How much of an impact the negative reaction to the changes on SGA will have is something that simply cannot be counted by anything as flawed as the Nielsen system is. But your blindly optimistic head-in-the-sand dismissal of such criticism as irrelevant is just as dangerously ignorant as you accuse the anti's of being.

It's also grossly unprofessional in terms of SGA's future. There is no guarantee that the changes that have been made will solve the show's problems. It may be that addressing the criticism instead of ignoring it will turn out to be a better answer to the problems than the patches that have been pasted on so far.

There are plenty of us who are upset by the changes who do care about the show and are still watching despite our disappointment. We're just looking at how to save the show from a different perspective than you are. That doesn't make our opinions wrong."

Wow, your post actually shocked me. A first I think! So, what you're saying is that people really are lemmings and that individually they are incapable of making their own minds up? Interesting argument. You believe that because someone has criticised something personally or publically that people will automatically follow suit and that it will flow through the whole world like a hurricane? Really?

I'm sensing Joe touched a raw nerve with you from your scathing post. So, let me ask you something.

Say you were a manager, and us fans were your subordinates. Say you'd advised us that changes were on the horizon, and consequently people were unsettled. Would you turn round to your staff and say, "Oh by the way, everything's going to be crap. People are going to be laid off, there's huge changes ahead and you're going to absolutely hate them. Oh and by the way, people are going to be complaining that your work and what you do is absolutely shit. Or would you back your staff up, and the work they're doing? Fending off criticisms etc because you know that they've put their heart and soul into something great. And against all the odds, they've worked their asses off and achieved something that they can be proud of? It's called positive reinforcement. Positive being the operative word, you might want to add it to your vocabulary, it might actually help to negate the not so subtle pent up hostility.

You're right in one respect though. There are no guarantee's that the shake up will help with the ratings, but looking on the flip side, haven't you got to try?

How are the 'anti's' changing things? You mean those that are supporting their favourite character and are actually being proactive, or are you talking about the ones that can't wait to see the show cancelled? Because, yes, lets face it, their favourite characters have left, so it's only fair that other people should suffer as much as they claim to. You're so kind and thoughtful, thanks for that.

If you read the post again, I think Joe, was talking about those particular ones, where nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing would make them watch again, and have said as much. Those minority few who go round various forums, sprouting vitriolic crap and refuse to watch even IF the two cast members were reinstated. So, sorry, i'm not buying that all the anti's are innocent and have done nothing wrong crap, because I know better. Those that have understandable fears and who haven't made their minds up are at least open to new ideas, new ways of working. But, unfortunately some won't be, and they won't be happy until they get what they want, which IS to see SGA cancelled.

So if you're so uninvested in a show, why go round spreading crap, and causing trouble? Sure make your point, say what issues you had and then move on. Why maintain that amount of hostility on something that you haven't got a vested interest in?

Sorry, Joe for hogging your blog. I love the art work. Is that going to be available for us minions? Thanks for the cool vid. :D Does this mean that Shep is going to get sandblasted, and he'll need to inspect his wounds? Maybe remove some items of clothing to get rid of those annoying bits of sands that get into places they shouldn't get into? *insert cheeky grin*

*hugs*

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe!

Wow! I really want to have a copy of that wonderful art work (no.1 of your photos)! It's absolutely stunning and really sums up the franchise for me! Can James Raiz make some copies for us poor fans to purchase? I'd love to have a print of it to hang on my wall!

I agree with you on the anti's who 'don't watch, won't damn well watch, and huh, want the show to be cancelled' yet amazingly seem to know the plot of new episodes, or have watched them, despite swearing they wouldn't. I mean if you hate the show that much, why stick around to criticise and ridicule it? Why try and ruin other fans enjoyment? Petty, mean spirited and small minded behaviour? Oh yeah... And I'm not talking about those who have fears, complaints and reservations. We all have those in something we haven't seen yet. I'm talking about those that really have made scathing attacks on the show stating they aren't watching, have given up on the show, and yet, amazingly are still around discussing spoilers and new episodes...Why bother, if you're not watching? Or are you secretly?

If you dislike something that much, fine, but leave the rest of us who want to watch and enjoy alone. There's nothing worse than having whining people who want something you like to fail just to make them feel better. I would never want something to fail just because I no longer like it. That's selfish and immature. Guess that sums up some online folks...but each to his/her own, I suppose.

Anonymous said...

5 hours... and i don't think i can watch it... the horror!!!

abharding said...

First off, I don't know if you saw this or not, but MSN TV has named Rodney McKay as one of their "greatest geeks" http://tv.msn.com/tv/galleryfeature/greatestgeeks?photoidx=11

Congrats to you, the rest writers and even David.

Second, how much of a free hand do the people at Sci-fi have when it comes to the content on the network? Is there any pressure from the higher up at NBC/Universal or even GE to get more ratings or if not that spend less money.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to post again, Joe.

I got a little, er, carried away, (shall we euphemistically say?), in my last post where I ranted, er, I mean of course, 'released my burden', and forgot to say, would you please pass on to James Raiz my admiration and praise for his wonderful art work. It honestly took my breath away, and had me staring at it for a good 30 minutes, as I tried to identify every character from the SG universe! I was absolutely NOT staring at Sheppard, oh no, no way, I wouldn't do that... ;)

Unknown said...

*peeps her head in*

Sorry, i think I should apologise for rambling to. You'd never think I was quiet and reserved, would you.

*cough*

Linzi who is still having a fangirl moment has said...
Sorry to post again, Joe.

I got a little, er, carried away, (shall we euphemistically say?), in my last post where I ranted, er, I mean of course, 'released my burden', and forgot to say, would you please pass on to James Raiz my admiration and praise for his wonderful art work. It honestly took my breath away, and had me staring at it for a good 30 minutes, as I tried to identify every character from the SG universe! I was absolutely NOT staring at Sheppard, oh no, no way, I wouldn't do that... ;)"

Translated, that means she spent 29 minutes and 30 seconds having a fangirl moment, looking at Shep's biceps. And the remaining 30 seconds glancing over the other faces. :P

*runs and hides*

Anonymous said...

D'you know, I'm starting to get a little melancholy at the thought of production wrapping up and not having any more of your fab behind the scenes photos and anecdotes to enjoy... *sigh* At least until Season 5 starts production *hugs optimism*.

Of course, I'm sure you won't be left feeling lonely for, as Season 4 airs, no doubt the fans will comment in their hundreds to tell you how fab the episodes are, how terrible they are, their favourite bits, just what you've done wrong, which ships you should promote, which characters should leave or return, and to berate you for the lack of blue jello in the Atlantis mess.

I guess I just wanted to say thanks for the great insights into the production that you've shared with us this season - it's definitely gone a good way towards keeping my Atlantis squeee going through the loooooong hiatus. Am looking forward to Lifeline and beyond.. :)

Ali

Victoria said...

Those jackets look so comfy! Will they go on sale somewhere? Or were they gifts for the writers?

Also, random question. I'm currently watching the commentary for First Strike, and, I guess this is more for Paul than anything but: Why couldn't Keller be Canadian?! Is there something wrong with having three on screen Canadians on the expedition?

Anonymous said...

I am terribly amused by the video and your Duchovny comment.

Love the modeling (of the jacket) shots as well. So if SG:A isn't picked up for a 5th season (heaven forbid), should we expect you to be gracing the cover of Land's End catalogues?

Anonymous said...

hi

just thought of another question relating to me previous comment about the size of Atlantis.

How big is Atlantis supposed to be? If for instance you put the Central tower over Leicester Square (in London) how much of London would be covered by the city?

Pauline said...

Psst!! Joe is it safe to come out now?
I’ve been hiding for the past couple of days. Too many shippers and Sheppers, slashers, femslashers, and het shippers for me.
The sniping was getting a little too real.
So I suspect my Flak Jacket will have to stay on for a little while longer or at least until S5 is announced one way or another.
I’m going out to buy this month’s Sci-fi book just as soon as I remember the title! ;)
Pauline

phil said...

Joe,

How is Atlantis filmed? 35MM or digital? I ask because I've noticed some prime time HD shows look great, others not so much. I'm hoping you folks are doing it right.

Will Atlantis/SG1 be available on HDDVD or Blueray anytime soon?

Good luck on the ratings!

Anonymous said...

Those anti fans complain all the time about Stargate Atlantis. Some of the people here complain all the time about those anti fans. LOL! What a bunch of whiners! Get over it already!

Dreams-of-Skies said...

Joe,

I'm going to say something that is almost blasphemy - but I'm starting to enjoy reading the comments almost as much as I enjoy reading your blog! *mock-horror* I know, it's terrible.

But alas, alack, I have a confession - I am a Daniel/Vala shipper (quietly in the corner) and even a Sam/Jack shipper (even more quietly, usually from behind the sofa). What can I say? I picked up on the first little frission back in Children of the Gods and I've not noticed any other characters get their own theme - hey! That's a point! Why don't any other characters have their own theme?

Honestly though, I'm not interested in the details - like most of us silly little romantics out there (*sigh* Did I just admit that out loud?) I would like to be able to look at two of my favourite characters and say "Hell, it's about time they stopped with the lingering looks and double-meanings." But of course, part of the fun is that it never happens on-screen - so that makes it more interesting for us fanfic writers! Sides, it took Mulder and Scully 9 years to sort themselves out...half of which I missed because it just wasn't the same after season 4...*sigh*

Anyways...I have a theory for Joe F's hair...yes...it has to be that he has elf blood. Only elves can possible be blown to pieces and still have immaculately styled hair! Either that or Medusa genes - that way he'd never have to worry about his hair because it'll style the way it wants to (especially as it would keep biting the top off the hairspray!)

I remember that pic from Resurrection with Michael and Amanda mucking about! *laughs* That was great and some of my shippy friends got such a freak out from it! *laughs harder* Serves them right for not paying attention to the goofing backstage! I love that stuff!

*calms down*

Okay...that artwork is FANTASTIC! I wish I could have a copy on my wall! And those jackets...man...I want one now to go with my SG-1 cap. They look great on you guys - seriously!

Nearly over for the year huh? *hug* I bet you're gonna miss it even if you say you don't!

Take it easy,

Dreams

P.S Majorsal?
The woman in upper left is Adria, the woman behind Shep and next to Mitchell is Vala - I think.

Anonymous said...

Hi !!
I have also a blog which is devoted to Stargate ms more precisely to dedicate to Joe Flanigan ^^
here the address: http://joeflaniganworld.skyblog.com/
thank you for your scenarios, they are really brilliant ^^

sorry my english is very very bad !