“Tonight, we’ll be watching a movie downstairs in the theater room,”I informed my mother. “You can choose between The Queen, As You Like It, or Snakes on a Plane.” She seemed delighted at the prospect. But, come 8:00 p.m., she chose neither and we ended up staying upstairs where she watched The Sound of Music for, conservatively, the 125th time. While Julie Andrews and those annoyingly precocious Von Trapp kids battled fascism through the combined forces of song and lederhosen, I sequestered myself in my office where I finished up The Princess Bride.
So, all in all, a fairly satisfying Christmas day highlighted by another excellent dinner (my sister made lamb, my mother made rabbit), a fruitless search for mom’s heart medication, and a curious comment redirected to my spam folder that read “This post is hoting now. It is high-ranked at….” Hoting? Really? Well, I clicked on the link and was taken to a site that, evidently, offers a daily ranking of the various wordpress blogs and posts. Sort of a Top 100. This blog, for instance, holds the #19 position in yesterday’s ranking, beating out blogs devoted to Bollywood, Christmas Jokes and instances in comic books where one or more characters are either kicked or punched in the groin, but lagging far behind the #1 blog which is dedicated to cute cat pictures (I feel the need to point out that my blog offers not only cute animal pics AND videos but the occasional angry tirade which, you‘d think, would at least put it within striking distance of that blog showcasing strange maps - but I digress). Yesterday’s post, meanwhile, is ranked #23, sandwiched between #24 “How to Hook Up Your LCD Plasma DLP HDTV - HDMI? DVI? Component?” and #23 “Special Notes on Papal Christmas Liturgies”.
Sure, I suppose a #19 ranking is pretty good considering the number of wordpress blogs out there (clearly, at least 100), but I can’t help but think I could do better by applying myself a little more and focusing, not so much on me and my life, but what seems to be working for all of these other blogs (or, at the very least, the ones that are beating the hell out of me). So, less cute dogs and more cute cats. Less food and family and more about the upcoming Presidential Primaries. Less about Stargate and more about West Virginia football. Starting….today!
1) So, the Iowa Caucus is fast-approaching, and things are looking very interesting in the race for the White House. Veeery interesting indeed. Yep.
2) Speaking of interesting, the West Virginia Mountaineers will be facing the Oklahoma Sooners in this year’s Fiesta Bowl. Looks like quite the match-up.
3) I have no pictures of cute cats for today’s entry.
Well, I’m keen to see how that shakes up tomorrow’s rankings. And, within the next two months, I hope to be drinking champagne out of the big crystal and gold trophy they award the #1 weblog. It’s wasted on those cute cats. They don’t even like champagne.
Sounds like everyone is having a great holiday (uninspired home made mincemeat pie notwithstanding).
Today’s video: Lulu flushes Bubba out of hiding.
Le mailbag -
Kathy writes: “I graduated in April with a Bach of FiTV and have working in three film offices. Is there a way I can shoot my resume over your way, if you’re in need of an assistant or an extra office hand?”
Answer: Given the fact that we’ve collapsed our two departments into one (with the completion of work on SG-1), it’s unlikely that any positions will open up for the show’s fifth season of production. Still, you can certainly send it to the Bridge Studios (Pegasus Productions, 2400 Boundary Road, Burnaby, B.C., V5M 3Z3).
Emily writes: “Do you enjoy chocolate-covered espresso beans?”
Answer: Not so much.
Carol Z. writes: “Um, couldn’t help noticing that your pups seem to have rather long doggie toenails.”
Answer: Too true! They’re overdo for a clipping.
Susan the Tartan Turtle writes: “How old is Lulu? How old are the pugs?”
Answer: Jelly is 8, Maximus 7, Bubba 5, Lulu 6 months old.
Ant writes: “When you said you wrote a feature, as well as a Seinfeld spec, did you mean that you wrote a movie script?”
Answer: Yes, it was a complete movie script. Partial scripts or excerpts don’t really work as specs as they are intended to demonstrate one’s ability to craft a complete story (beginning, middle, and end).
Nettyo writes: “Have you watched any Bleach and are you a fan of Studio Ghibli? And if so, what is your favourite movie?”
Answer: Have yet to watch Bleach and, yes, I am a fan of Studio Ghibli. My favorite movie: Grave of the Fireflies (followed by Spirited Away).
Anais a ecrit: “Je vient d’apprendre que j’avais la maladie de raynaud…”
Reponse: J’espère que vous vous sentez mieux!
IamJohn writes: “Joe have you ever thought about having SG-1 available online?”
Answer: It is available online, through iTunes for one.

No comments:
Post a Comment