Wednesday, December 5, 2007

December 5, 2007

And so, it’s been decided. Emily and I will be enjoying a virtual dinner at virtual Fuel this Friday between 4:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. PST. Please respect our privacy by not posting comments during this hour, but feel free to eavesdrop on our conversation as you will be able to follow our conversation in the comments section of December 6th blog entry. As our evening progresses, you’ll even be able to follow the various dishes that arrive at our table as various delicious pics will be posted over the course of the meal. Once our meal is concluded, I will hopefully have time to transfer our conversation from the comments section to the December 6th entry proper - but I have a second not-virtual dinner party to attend at 6:00 p.m. so I’ll hopefully be done before I leave.

Well, tomorrow is also special in that it is the day that This Mortal Coil, the mid-season finale and script that almost killed me, finally airs. If I have time on Saturday, I will do a scene by scene what-the-hell-was-I-thinking breakdown of the entire episode. But heading in to tomorrow night’s episode, a little backstory -

Every time an episode airs, fans are quick to praise /curse the writer as though they were wholly responsible for the finished product. Well, suffice it to say, this is far from the truth as many, many, MANY different people can and should share in the admiration/blame, from actors to sound mixers, directors to the construction team. It may take a village to raise a child but, in the end, who the hell knows how that kid is going to turn out? He could end up a wonderfully well-rounded McKay and Mrs. Miller or a disappointingly underachieving Irresponsible. Whichever, the point is that while all of you are lauding Alan’s efforts on Tabula Rasa and The Seer, you should also be thanking Paul who did the pass on both scripts. If you enjoyed oh, most any episode of SG-1, also thank Robert Cooper in addition to the credited writer(s) as I’d guess a good 70% of the stories spun out from one of his ideas. And, if you enjoy This Mortal Coil tomorrow night, in addition to congratulating me, throw some kind words Brad Wright’s way as he was the guy who pitched out the premise for what would eventually this episode. The truth is, given the way we build stories (which is not all that different from most shows), all of the writers have a hand in all of the scripts. One writer may come up with the original notion, but that original notion is then shaped by differing opinions and suggestions, becoming an actually story idea. And, after the designated writer has had time to allow the ideas to percolate, he’ll lead everyone in the actual breaking of the story. Everyone is involved in the process of constructing the story, from offering up broad notions regarding structure (ie. Act Four should end with McKay dying - and it isn‘t until the top of Act Five that we realize THAT was a dream) to key plot twists (ie. How about we surprise the audience by playing the replicators and having Weir get into THEIR heads for a change) to dialogue suggestions (ie. “In the middle of my backswing!”).

So, This Mortal Coil was no different. Brad came in with the original premise. The writers got together and spun ideas. I went off to think about it and came back with a pretty good idea of how I envisioned the story breaking down. We got together, discussed some more, threw around some more ideas. I headed off, fleshed out an outline, got some feedback, and then went off to script. I wrote the original and revised draft, handed off to Paul who did his pass which clarified some scenes (and, incidentally, saved me from a nervous breakdown), and then, revitalized, I did the subsequent changes. The finished script went out, the episode was shot - and came in short so I ended up writing two extra scenes (let’s see if you can guess which ones).

Ultimately, it’s up to you, the fans, to decide whether it works for you. But, script aside, I have to say that one thing that stood out for me in this episode was Joel Goldsmith’s score. The man is brilliant.

So, okay. Let’s hit another heavy mailbag (sheafrotherdon and co., bless your hearts), but before I do I’d like to dedicate this blog to all of our friends down south dealing with the inclement weather.

Cyn writes: “Joe, will you be decorating for Christmas and if so, share some pics?”

Answer: Uh, I was kind of hoping you’d come over and string the outside lights for me this year.

Riley writes: “Do you know how long it will be between the airing of This Mortal Coil and the next episode?”

Answer: Not all that long. From what I understand, new episodes will begin airing again in January on SciFi.

Joanieloveschaci writes: “Have you ever gotten food poisoning?”

Answer: Hell, yeah. Just do a blog search for “food poisoning” for the lovingly details accounts of two separate incidents.

Royal Nonesuch writes: “Speaking of early post-apocalyptic fiction, have you ever read "Iam Legend" or "Earth Abides"?”

Answer: I own Earth Abides and it is on my to-read list. I read I am Legend earlier this year and thought it was great. It will be interesting to see how they Hollywoodize it.

PG15 writes: “ By the way, Joe; did you know that some people think that I'm you?”

Answer: Hey, I heard that someone was going around to all of the best restaurants in town, offering up I.O.U.’s in my name as payment. I’ve already informed the police and they should be over to pick you up as soon as you email your address.

P.S. Kindly email me your address.

Anonymous #1 writes: “This isn't a comment from some disgruntled Atlantis fan […] I'm a fan of SG-1 who watched Atlantis, gave it a shot back in the beginning, and found it to be severely lacking. […] I do however take exception to the way that the characters I care about--Carter, Teal'c, Daniel, and Jack--keep getting pushed over to Atlantis in an attempt to keep that epitome of mediocrity afloat.”

Answer: I see. So you’re like a spoiled brat who sulks because the other kids are out playing ball after your mother has called him home to bed. Who cares if other fans are enjoying Atlantis and the possibility of Carter, Daniel, and Teal’c visiting? If you can’t enjoy it, then no one should. You, my friend, are a sub-genre of embittered fandom that I don’t get. Although I may not agree with many fans who criticize the show for a) losing Weir, b) losing Beckett, c) losing Ford - at least their arguments come from a love for the show rather than childish resentment at the possibility that the characters will continue to live on outside of your narrow expectations of them.

Marcans writes: “ I still really like Carter, however can you please tell me what exactly was the justification for bringing her into command of Atlantis?”

Answer: From the point of view of her character, we did want someone in the command position who would be comfortable going off-world, if need be, and someone who could get involved in any city-centered stories. We also wanted someone that Stargate fans were familiar with. After some discussion, it was decided that Carter was the logical choice as she fit the bill - and also offered up a science and military background that we could exploit (again, whenever the need arose). The command position on Atlantis has always been more of a supporting role and this is the tact we took in season 4. That said, we did get to see soldier Sam on display in Reunion, and also explored her leadership in The Seer. From more of a behind-the-scenes reasoning (something that has yet to be brought up), Amanda was the obvious choice because she is a terrific actress, is always professional, a lot of fun to work with (this from practically everyone who has worked with her, from grips to directors), and exudes an onscreen warmth that is on par with her off-screen personality.

Kimberlee writes: “Ever been to the "boondocks" of the great state of Alabama? thats where im from. And if no, if you had the chance, would you come down for a visit?”

Answer: Never been but would love to visit.

147 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe,
Are there any cast changes happening in season 5? In particluar is Paul McGillion coming back full time? Bring out the magic 8 ball if needed.

the dixon-stubblefield blog said...

so what's the 1,000,000th prize :) and what will Emily be eating?

Can't wait until Friday although then the drought until January will be a bummer.

Any thoughts on one of your actors somewhat competing with the show (Joe F being on Women's Murder Club) by being a guest on another show the same night or is that just so normal no one thinks twice about it? Or do you have to get permission from your regular show if the air times conflict? Just a curiousity type question. I started to actually watch that show so I can see Joe F when his episode airs.

Happy Thursday - wams352

Anonymous said...

Do visual effect heavy episodes tend to come up short? Is that a weird trend for you guys?

Emily said...

...but I have a second not-virtual dinner party to attend at 6:00 p.m. so I’ll hopefully be done before I leave.

Oh, I see...giving yourself an 'out', eh? Yeah, well I also have...something...going on at 6:00. And one of my friends might call me with some...important...news, so if I get a call during the meal I may have to leave right away...Yeah...

;)

Brandon Irvine said...

Joe?

Uhm...

I thought TMC would be airing on Friday.

Do I need to rearrange my schedule?

Riley said...

Answer: Not all that long. From what I understand, new episodes will begin airing again in January on SciFi.

\o/ Phew! That's good news for us sad addicts. (How sad are we? Well, my flatmate last night renamed the lemon curd layer cake we'd cooked to "McKay's Bane". That's how sad.) And thanks for answering!

Anonymous said...

I want to thank you for your dedication to us who are suffering incliment weather. I live in Wisconsin and it has been a pain in the butt to dig out of the snow.

iamza said...

Hunh, Friday is the 7th, isn't it? I mean, I know I've travelled over the pond, and thus my sense of time is completely screwed up, but Friday is still the 7th December even on this side of the Atlantic, isn't it? :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, yeah. Carter's all warmth on screen. To the point where many of us Carter fans can't take watching her on Atlantis. She's not the same character. She's boring.

Please, bring Weir back if only to spare us Carter being destroyed further.

Anonymous said...

Will we see more of Sam in the second half of season 4 compared to the first half? I know Amanda was filming the two SG-1 movies, but I'm hoping to see Sam in more of a central role in the second half. Also, will we see more of Sam in season 5 compared to season 4?

Thanks for taking the time to do your blog! Looking forward to the rest of season 4.

ptarmigan said...

JM said "I prefer the look of a full bookshelf."

At the rate you seem to read, you must have gone through enough books to line shelves covering every wall at Bridge Studios and make a good dent in stocking Atlantis' libraries. Do you really keep ALL of the books you've read, or just the cream of the crop?

Cate said...

I have no idea how you know I suggested people leave a thank you - but you're welcome! Everyone but everyone needs to hear a good word now and again, and since you're all making *us* happy, it's only fair we return whatever bit of that favor we can.

best,
Cate/sheafrotherdon

majorsal said...

so, my friday is going to go this way. put up my christmas tree, with christmas music playing in the background. southern cal is supposed to have, you know, actual weather on friday, so that'll help with my festiveness. AND, later on, i'll have a wonderful treat of watching a wonderful show called stargate atlantis. the only thing that might make it better is if rda was with me, and i'd be snuggled up next to him and... *feels faint*.

anyhoo, life's good and so's your show. thanka youa. ;)




sally, hoping sam's in season 5! :D

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe,
I haven't posted here very much, but I've been here a few times to show my support for Weir and the show at large. Today I wanted to share with you a little more of my opinion because I haven't heard any one else say it quite the way I think it before. Though I heartily support Weir, I agree that Carter is probably a more logical choice for a leader. Stargate is always running into military situations and Carter has the military expertise for that. She is also very scientifically minded, which helps for obvious reasons. And I love Sam. She's a great character. I think both Elizabeth and Sam make great leaders and I can honestly say I understand your choice. That said, I still want the show to find a way to bring back Elizabeth because I love her character too. I thought she had great diplomatic skills that could have been used more. (Not intending to throw blame around here, everybody has skills that could always be used more, that was one of hers). I thought she made sense for a civilian leader. I loved how she and John worked out chain of command so that they were almost jointly running the city. I especially loved her eternal optimism. It seemed like it only really dimmed when she experienced firsthand the replicators. And that's where her story has led her to, more replicators. It makes sense really, what's a story without conflict? Well her story makes me very nervous about what will happen to her, but the best stories are the ones that you are emotionally involved in so my worry only shows to me that it is good. The thing is I tend to only really like it in the end if it is a happy ending. So I am not saying it will be a bad storyline if it doesn't end happily for her, but I won't enjoy it as much. Certainly my opinion shouldn't dictate the show. But since you do have this blog where allow fan interaction, I take it you must enjoy or at least not mind feedback. And that is why I come and continue to plead for Elizabeth. Because I think you (collectively, as in anyone who contributes) have made a wonderful show and did a great job with Elizabeth's character, and I hope that her part will not come to an early end. Thanks for reading my long-winded opinion, and thanks again for a great show! I'll be glued to the tv for This Mortal Coil!!
-Lizabeth

Anonymous said...

Regarding this comment from you:

"Although I may not agree with many fans who criticize the show for a) losing Weir, b) losing Beckett, c) losing Ford - at least their arguments come from a love for the show "

This is what I don't understand. Why are you so willing to lose those fans? Because you have in droves. So many Beckett and Weir fans just don't care anymore because you've got rid of those two characters.

I'd love to still watch Atlantis. Torri Higginson has asked her fans to please keep watching to support the other actors. She's said that many times at conventions, either on stage or when talking to fans alone, did you know that? Did you have any idea that she's out there, urging people to keep watching for the sake of her friends, despite the fact she's been discarded for God knows what reason.

The problem is, the vast majority of her fans just aren't interested anymore. Personally, I can't take the current lineup. Carter bores me. Keller annoys the hell out of me so I want to throw a brick at my TV, which I feel guilty about because I believe that Jewel's a good actor, and Keller's just a crappy character.

Had you kept Beckett and Weir and added Carter, you could have had you cake and eaten it too. You would have had your precious Carter (though personally, I can't for the life of me see how she's more appealing than Beckett or Weir) and kept the fans of the other actors/characters.

Instead, you've decided people who love two actors/characters, both of whom have a significant fan base, are expendable.

Is that good business sense? I don't think so. You should be capitalising on your assets, don't you think?

Explain to us how it's good business to just jetison a significant part of your audience because you want to bring new people in; people who've not been the big ratings draw you seemed to think they would be.

It makes me sad to see Atlantis rating 0.9 or 1. The show had so much promise in season one. The cast gelled beautifully by season three. Then you got rid of two core characters, including one who'd been made a regular because people loved him so much.

I'm expecting you to either not unscreen this, or to unscreen it and then ridicule me, because that seems to be your MO when it comes to discussing Beckett and Weir, especially Weir. You're happy with your decision to offload her, and heaven help anyone else who thinks otherwise. Our opinions don't count because we're just "lemmings" in your opinion, who flocked together to support a character and actress we happen to love, and speak against your grand vision in doing that.

I just don't understand why there's all this talk of how the decision "had to be made" in the case of Torri. She and Elizabeth are so wonderful. So many of her fans just can't find the inspiration to watch the show without her wonderful work with Joe, David H and of course Paul.

I hope that someone will see the light and make the decision to bring her back in season five. I'm confident that the ratings for TMC will be better than the ratings for any other episode this season. However I'm not confident that you'll give Elizabeth or Torri any praise for that. I'm also terrified that you're the one who's written this episode when you seem to have no respect for Elizabeth. I'm torn between watching for Torri/Elizabeth, and avoiding the episode like the plague because I don't know that I trust you to love her and do good things for her the way her fans would like you to.

PG15 said...

Oh Joe, you're being silly. Don't you remember? You already have my address. Hehehe.

Oh hey, somebody's at the door. "Open up!" they yell, eh? Must be the pizza I ordered. Hang on...

Anonymous said...

How about devoting fridays/saturdays post to This Mortal Coil? you wrote the episode, It's your baby so you should give us your thoughts, its only fair :)

if you have someone else lined up that's alright but at least give your thoughts too, I am sure a lot of people would be eager to know, like you did with Reunion

Anonymous said...

The knives are out for poor old Shep, and not for kirking this time. They want him court martialed for the events of Miller's Crossing. There's even a thread on GW!

Anonymous said...

I just have to say i agree with the people wanting both Carson and Elizabeth back on the show on a regular basis.

It's not the same without them. Someone said a while back they are the heart and soul of Atlantis. That's so true. The warmth and concern of those two characters is sadly missing.

Rumor has it you're giving paul his job back for season five. Is that true? If it is, please please please please do the same thing with Torri.

Anonymous said...

Does your wife know you're having virtual dinner with another woman?

Anonymous said...

I'd always wondered about how something goes from being an idea to an episode, so thank you for sharing. :)

PG15 said...

Hey Joe,

I'm just posting from the police office here (they got some very fast cruisers and cool tablet computers with Internet connections), and I'm having a hard time convincing them that it's actually you who has been paying in IOUs. The key part of my argument is that I've never been to Fuel on 4th before (honest; Belcham and I are in no way BFFs). So, if it's not much trouble, can I use your blog, and specifically the entries where you wrote about Fuel to prove that you're the guilty one? Thanks, I knew you'd understand.

(Oh, and I hope your short prison term won't affect the delivery of my SG1 DVDs. Just checking)

Oh, by the way, now that I've read today's entry, I can't bloody wait for This Mortal Coil!! Thank you for peaking my interest even more with the hint to another brilliant Goldsmith score (hey, that rhymes!)! The music in Stargate has always been top notch, so this episode's must be through the roof if it stands out.

Oh, I gotta go. The chief wants a word. Hold on, let me just pull up one of your Fuel entries...





(This is all in jest, of course)

Anonymous said...

I wandered over here from LiveJournal. Just want to say that I *really* enjoy Stargate Atlantis! I look forward to it every week! Thanks for all your hard work.

Anonymous said...

Joe Mallozzi said:

"Answer: I see. So you’re like a spoiled brat who sulks because the other kids are out playing ball after your mother has called him home to bed. Who cares if other fans are enjoying Atlantis and the possibility of Carter, Daniel, and Teal’c visiting? If you can’t enjoy it, then no one should. You, my friend, are a sub-genre of embittered fandom that I don’t get. Although I may not agree with many fans who criticize the show for a) losing Weir, b) losing Beckett, c) losing Ford - at least their arguments come from a love for the show rather than childish resentment at the possibility that the characters will continue to live on outside of your narrow expectations of them."

So, you're that guy who takes all viewpoints he disagrees with and feebly attempts to ridicule and belittle them in the hopes of masking insecurity in your own decisions? Don't worry, I'm sure the sycophants will cheer.

But aside from the meaningless sniping that you love to use as misdirection, Joe, you've actually hit the nail on the head. I know, I know. I was shocked too. But here's the thing you refuse to acknowledge: It IS all about me. I, for the life of me, can't understand why you would try to put forth otherwise. When it comes to many, many other things in life, I can be (and even sometimes am) magnanimous as hell. Some would even describe me as charitable. But my tv viewing habits is not one of those areas. Tv viewing and individual story interpretations are exclusively personal decisions. It has been my personal belief in and enjoyment of the SG-1 characters and story that has kept me watching faithfully since, yes, the first season on Showtime. That's why we're called fans; we develop a relationship with various aspects of a show that allow us to care more for that show than we normally do for other fare. When we see those aspects of a show changed, ignored, or shoddily toyed with, then it's quite logical that we would, in fact, speak out and criticize those changes. You know, because we care. Rather, it is your childish notion that fans should simply shut up and go away if they don't like what's going on that is selfish and base. Because all you're advocating is what's best for you. It's not my duty to be generous with my opinions or my interpretations just so those fans you have left will feel warm and fuzzy inside. My dissatisfaction and disappointment in the franchise's inability to succeed without treading all over SG-1's past and hopeful future isn't about ruining the show for those fans you have left. And it is disingenuous of you to suggest so to the other readers of this blog. Their own interpretations of the story and show shouldn't be so ill-defined that what I think and write will make them stomp their feet and run home to their own mothers.

As for my "narrow expectations" of the characters, you've got to be kidding. I'm narrow-minded because I feel that the characters are ill served by appearing on what I perceive to be an inferior show? I'm narrow-minded because I don't subscribe to the notion that characters have infinite shelf lives? That all good characters' stories have a beginning, middle, and end? Sheesh, you really don't like fans disagreeing with you, huh? For that matter, and since you were so kind as to bring them up in your polite response to me, isn't it your own narrow expectations and visions for the characters that have led to the jettisoning of Beckett, Weir, and Ford? What's the matter? You're not creative enough to come up with a good storyline for those characters that will allow them to live on? Gasp! Don't tell me your brilliance has found it's limits and you're all tapped out! Guess what? I don't believe that for one second. I do believe that your own personal interpretation of the story and your vision for the show's future is that the story will be better without those characters. Just like mine is that it will be better without using Carter, Daniel, and Teal'c as crutches. Fancy that, we each have our own personal beliefs regarding the show. How about you be the magnanimous one and change yours so that me and my ilk can enjoy the show better? Or is it all about you, too?

Keirberos said...

Well, you're likely to end up with comments saying this by the time you get this one; for which I'll apologize and promptly not feel guilty for.

However— you seem to be under the mistaken impression that today is Thursday. After much intense research, an international team of highly qualified chronologists were able to confirm that it is, in fact, Wednesday.

On a side note, I just wanted to say, I find it very respectable that you not only approve the comments of those persons who try to belittle you or the show or some other thing they don't disagree with, but then calmly (well, okay, I can't know that, but I assume you're at least halfway calm- any less than that, I find it gets hard to stay witty) and logically refute their arguments.

Well, that and, did you watch/have you considered watching Tin Man? I found it to be fantastic, but, alas, the flying monkeys of the critics circles have decided to sink their fangs into this one. I don't know if they're right or not, I just watch what I like. I'd still recommend it though, if you're looking for something to rent one night. :)

To Beckett'n'weirfan: ...If you can't stand the lineup, why do you still watch the show and post at a producer/writer (of said show)'s blog?... I mean, I read in the car knowing it will make me carsick, but then I enjoy the reading. I don't beat my head in with the book to achieve the same effect. *shrugs* It's all right to not like the show... Sometimes, it just takes a direction you don't like. That happens. No one will be angry if you decide to leave it at that (—depressed maybe for the shrinking fanbase, but angry...no). Just watch the syndication episodes you like, and don't watch the new ones, if you dislike them.

Anonymous said...

I have to say, I'm going to be looking forward to playing "spot the two extra scenes" this Friday.

You said: "We also wanted someone that Stargate fans were familiar with."

I wonder how many people will interpret that as SG-1 fans... (Not me.)

Anonymous said...

I'd like to thank you for your response to my questions. I do understand the rationale the way you set it out for Carter, the one thing I guess I regret not seeing is some of the truly phenomenal abilities Carter has with regard to her skills off-world, her leadership skills under fire in the field, her sciency mind at solving problems, her ability to communicate with other races, etc., - I guess being that these are her strengths, and what made the character in SG-1 so wonderful and fullfilling, I was expecting to see them on display in Atlantis especially since the command position was, if you will, a "changed" role from what it was from Weir, at least that is what I expected by the descriptions of the role for Carter, but it still, in all honesty, even taking your kind response into account, just seems like the Weir role with a military character playing it. Alas, I will look forward to the movie Continuum and future movies in the hopes that Carter's qualities and abilities are highlighted.

Thanks again, Joe.

Anonymous said...

Kellie said...
"Oh, yeah. Carter's all warmth on screen. To the point where many of us Carter fans can't take watching her on Atlantis. She's not the same character. She's boring.

Please, bring Weir back if only to spare us Carter being destroyed further."

Many Carter fans? Strange, you're the only Carter fan I've heard mention this. This Carter fan still finds Carter much more compelling than Weir. I have to say that if Carter were not on the show, I probably would have stopped watching since SG-1 is no longer on before it. I'm very glad I am watching, since I have really enjoyed all of the episodes so far (even the ones without Carter).

I like a lot of the things you have done with the Sam character this season, Joe. I just wish she was in more episodes and played a slightly more central role. But I can understand why you all chose to go this route. I do hope to see a little more of Sam in the second half of the season and in Season 5. I will be watching either way.

I hope you and Emily have a delicious virtual dinner together on Friday.

Anonymous said...

Since you mentioned the team effort that goes into filming the show, I'd like to thank the props department for always giving us something interesting to look at - be it the photos in Carter's office to the rather phallic cactus Katie Brown gifted McKay with in Tabula Rasa.

That comic Sheppard was reading at the end of Miller's Crossing has been driving everyone nuts, trying to figure out what it was. Is it indeed a mock up? Any significance to the title (inside joke perhaps)? Why not use a real comic?

And after gritting my teeth through all the negative comments that keep rolling in, I'd like to say I've enjoyed the addition of Carter (and Keller) so far this year. No offense to Torri and her fans, but I found Weir to be boring and underused. Can't wait to see TMC on Friday and will impatiently await the show's return in January. Thanks for entertaining us. :)

Anonymous said...

You say you do not 'get' fans being annoyed at Beckett surely you must undertand their point? I for one am one of the fans that likes to think of the world you create as happening, things happen in real life and that should reflect the show as well. It shoudl reflect how things are in real life. But then again it is a constructed show, and Beckett was liked by a large majority of people. You must understand why fans were annoyed at the decision. He was a character that was truely fitting in with the rest, and a choice that bemuses most other people. He was the anchor in characters like Mckay, who kept him level. He had a role, he was someone people liked to see. So there are good reasons why most people didn't like to see him go. While your reasons are yours, you must see the points and take note from them.

SGA is better then it's earlier seasons, now that characters are more actively developed. But people I know felt a part of the show was lost with Beckett, the heart if you will. And as I'm sure you know controversial decisions like that will generate a responce. As long as you know that, it should be ok. But it's been a good season so far, and I don't think there are many people who do not want to see his return for a couple of episodes, myself included.

But I wil say one thing, now that you've made this decision to write him out, stick by it. Guest spot sure, be it cloning or flashbacks to season 1 era, but it has happened now. Stick to it, going back on it and bringing him back as a regular which many fans have asked for would just be honestly, weak. As much as I did like Beckett, it's happened now. I hope you stick to that.

Look forward to TMC, it's been a good season so far.

Anonymous said...

Ah yes, the inclement weather. Here in AZ that means its only in the low 70s and there are a sudden flurry of snowbirds (many from Canada and the Dakotas).

Anonymous said...

To beckett'n'weirfan - Asked and answered - a million times over already!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Joe!

I am a relatively new fan, so I wanted to stop in and let you know you are still finding a new audience. After the gentle prodding of a few people, I finally gave in and watched Rising. Two months later, and I've seen every episode and I adore the show!

However, I just recently started watching it in "real time" so this will be my first experience with having to wait so long between episodes. I have a feeling you are going to throw a doosey at me, so do you have any advice on how to handle the long wait? I mean, besides spending the holidays with my family and friends, of course. ;)

Thanks for making such a great show and having a forum like this for us to learn more about what goes on behind the scenes.

And I hope you have a good holiday season as well! Please don't take it personally if I spend half of mine cursing you. We'll make up after the break, I'm sure. ;)

vvv0472 said...

1) Was there anything that you liked about McGill University?

I’m finding it pretty hard to like anything about it right now (due to finals).

2) If we now have the Carter-McKay intergalactic bridge, then why not re-locate people from the Pegasus galaxy to the Milky Way galaxy and save them from the Wraith?

Pauline said...

Emily sweetie between you, me and the gatepost if the conversation gets a little bogged down these are the subjects to avoid :-

1/ Anything to do with scriptwriting he doesn’t take too kindly to criticism

2/ Shipping Shep, with just about anyone. Well shipping anyone with anyone really.

3/ The choice of Carter over Weir as leader of Atlantis best avoided still a little raw.

4/ Virtual food poisoning not recommended. Joe has had it twice so avoid any virtual seafood.

5/ The virtual bill at the end of the virtual meal, virtually impossible to avoid.

6/ The subject of Canadians being generally indistinguishable from Americans the surest way of telling the two apart is to make this observation to a Canadian.

7/ Try and keep the conversation light avoid asking how negotiations with the actors’ agents are going

8/ Fashion, the man has more shirts the Englebert Humperdinck and the same taste (For god’s sake Google the name).

If the above fails let me know I could text you how about ‘Power cut no candles come quick love Grandma!’

Sorry Joe and Emily I couldn’t resist, bet you wish I had.

Pauline

Unknown said...

Thank you for an outstanding season 4. I'm more interested in character development and continuity than in explosions or chase scenes, so many episodes have delighted me this year. I love science fiction (I wrote my dissertation on feminist science fiction), and so would like to see more of its tropes explored, rather than old television shows and movies recycled, but if you just continue as you have thus far, you will have one very happy fan.

Thank you again.

Anonymous said...

Joe - did you happen to watch the 3-day mini-series "Tin Man" on Sci Fi? I thought it was a nice updated take on a well known story...with wonderful subtle connections to the old movie. Curious to know if you ventured to watch and what you thought?

Kimberlee said...

hi joe,
its the "boonie" again. the offer stands. whenever you need a break from all the wild and wackyness of SGA, I would be delighted to take you around here and take you to all the GREAT restaurants. Do you like "soul food"? thanks for listening

Anonymous said...

Have you ever been to a Weber Grill restaurant?

Thornyrose said...

My comment on the whole Beckett/Weir bewailing going on; folks, please show the same class on handling the situation that the actors themselves have shown. And if you're going to chide Mr. M. how about doing it in a manner like that of the SaveCarson folks? Meaning politely, and with a healthy dose of humor. I miss both characters, but I'm also eager to see what directions they will take in their now recurring roles.
Um, any prizes for the first person guessing the added scenes? All for the sake of the season of course...
Looking forward to Friday's episode, and I'll hold on any more questions for now. Emily, make sure to eek out every bit of info you can during your dinner! (is it too late to take a speed typing course in preparation?)

Crystal said...

As serendipity would have it, I found myself walking the picket line with Steven Culp (bless those SAG supporters)today, so I was able to tell him in person how much I enjoyed his performance on Atlantis.

He volunteered how much he enjoyed working with David and his sister and mentioned how quick you guys film.

Anonymous said...

Joe, just wanted to pop on by and thank you for all your hard work. (No, no, sheafrotherdon has NOTHING to do with this. Really. Honestly.) And please let the others know how much I appreciate their dedication to the show - it really shines through! Also wanted you to know that many of the fans on livejournal (including me) support the Writer's Guild members and hope that an equitable resolution is reached soon.

Especially if it means that there'll be no delays in Season 5. ;p

Wishing you all the best chocolate and treats for the furkids,
-----}-@
Kris

PS - Okay, Cate, was that good? May I have my cat back now? Please? *snicker*

Anonymous said...

Joe,
I started watching Atlantis this season, really because Carter was coming on. I'm really an SG-1 fan, and by that I mean the original team- not that I disliked Mitchell and Vala, I just really loved the original team.

That said, I've been enjoying Atlantis, but I admit, because I'm a big Carter fan, I had hoped for a more substantial role for Carter. Will she have more of a presence in the second half of the season? Will there be a Carter centered episode (0r 2?) Thanks-

RebeccaH said...

I miss the pictures. Haven't the dogs done anything cute lately?

Stargate Atlantis is still my favorite TV show, and you've absolutely topped yourselves with season four. I don't envy you the work you're going to have to do on season five.

Cheers,
RebeccaH

Anonymous said...

dearest joe,

Can you dedicate december 6th blog to all students in mcgill university taking finals right now? Thanks man!!


do u mind telling us which episode in the second half of season 4 excluding BAMSR is very tech savy...u know kind of like adrift, no man's land or trinity.

Again Joe thanks a lot for ur time

rachid

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I have two questions.

1. Will Rodney Mckay's allergy/ hypoglacemia be seen at any point?

2. I enjoy the chracter's Keller and Carter. I really liked Keller in missing and I havent really seen Carter alot so far this season but anyways I was wondering if one or both of these chracters will be back for season 5??

Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Nielsen overnight results for the 11/23 episode of "Women's Murder Club" - 7.76 million. Joe F. getting that kind of exposure certainly isn't going to hurt SGA in the long run.

Anonymous said...

Heya! Very much looking forward to the latest ep. You mentioned that you want to take a culinary tour of Tokyo--well, if you're ever in the Osaka area, come on by *g* (Oh, hey: are any of the Japanese characters (i think there were three) ever going to be in the spotlight?)

Charles Schneider said...

Please thank Brad W. for his contribution. I bet a lot of people just see your names (current writers) on the show and think that he isn't even part of the process.

If it doesn't bring any demons back, could you talk about why Mortal Coil was so hard on you? It seems pretty rare that an episode almost kills a long time industry veteran like yourself. I recall you mentioned Irresponsible almost killed you too, but for very different reasons...

Another important question:
Just like when Teal'c is faced with imminent death or a seemingly inescapable grim fate, do you have a battle cry or mantra that you repeat as you stare down the business-end of a staff weapon or the event horizon of a black hole (so to speak)?

Iris said...

I really enjoyed "I am Legend" myself. It had great pacing. As for film incarnations, "Last Man on Earth" with Vincent Price was a somewhat interesting take on the story, although the vampire poodle was a bit much... "The Omega Man" with Charlton Heston had its high points, but I felt it was not an adequate representation of the book at all. There are numerous other iflms inspired by the book, such as "Night of the Living Dead". Matheson recently joked that homage can be an excuse to rip off.

I'm very curious to see the new incarnation. I love dogs, especially German Shepherds, so it is already beter than "Omega Man" lol. Seriously, though, it has real potential.

Have a great virtual dinner guys!

Royal

AV eddy said...

Hi Joe!

Thanks for the info on how a show is written. I love the inside scoop you provide! Plus, I'm sure 99% of the SG-1 fans had a good laugh remembering Window of Opportunity when you quoted, “In the middle of my backswing!” Truly a great moment in a great ep!

I hope you and Emily have a delightful conversation during the virtual meal. I expect it won't have diatribes starting with "You should," explaining how to do your job. (Go Emily! :) )

PG15, did you make it out of the police station OK???? You're starting to worry us! :)

Take care!

eddy

Anonymous said...

Do you writer-types ever have to stay in for extra time ever/a lot? For, I dunno, watching your seen play out, or... well, I really dunno. If you do, could you tell me what the kind of things you stay/come in late/early?

Sally

Anonymous said...

beckett'n'weirfan said...
I'd love to still watch Atlantis. Torri Higginson has asked her fans to please keep watching to support the other actors. She's said that many times at conventions, either on stage or when talking to fans alone, did you know that? Did you have any idea that she's out there, urging people to keep watching for the sake of her friends, despite the fact she's been discarded for God knows


Nowhere do you say that Torri Higginson asked her fans to post to Joe's blog day after day with the same lame arguments (although apparently deeply believed by the posters).

I know I second the statements of the one of the posters that they wished Joe posted once and for all that Torri Higginson would not be in season five just to end this nonsense.

If you really think Torri wants you to do this ask her if it would be ok with her to add “this post approved by Torri Higginson” to each and every one of these “return Torri Higginson to Atlantus” posts.

I bet she says no and tells you to stop all these posts.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,

I'm just popping by to say that I really love this season of Atlantis. Sure I miss Weir and Beckett but really, I'm just finding that the storylines have surpassed all my expectations. It's rare that I can keep up with a TV show for more than a couple of seasons (Prison Break, Desperate Housewives, CSI, Grey's Anatomy...all of them have fallen by the wayside) but Stargate has really grown from season I and has gotten better with each passing episode.

My Friday nights are just that much better with the antics of the SGA.

You are feeding me with some fine hoola, sir and I think you are doing a great job.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
"Will we see more of Sam in the second half of the season [...]? I know Amanda was filming the two SG-1 movies, [...] like to see Sam in more of a central role [...]"

I think that the writing people (you) wanted a balance - the fans who hate Carter/miss Weir don't have to see that much of Carter, and the fans who like Carter/hated Weir can see a sufficient amount. And those that just love Sheppard, Ronin, Teyla, or McKay (me), are happy because they still get to see lots of their favorite characters (not in all episodes).

AntiM said...

If people ever got the chance to see an episode without the score or sound effects and all the sound editing, they'd appreciate the team effort to a greater degree. Still a great show, but the finished product is so much more amazing. I think people take the entire process for granted when they casually punch the power button of the TV on Friday nights.

(It fell off the desk, honest. We put it back! We won't do it again.)

Still enjoying the comments, but really people, step it up with the profiles! Y'all have got to be more interesting than this!

Toni said...

I'm sorry it's taken me this long to comment, and I'm too lazy to go back and read all the other comments since last Friday... I just wanted to tell you, if no one else has, that I loved the little scene with Walter and Ronon. The whole episode was wonderful, especially since the Sheppard and McKay characters and how they react to situations is one of my favorite parts of the show, and Kate Hewlett is an amazing actress in her own right. But that scene was just so well done -- Walter was always a phenomenal support character in SG1, and I really enjoy getting to see him interact with the Atlantis crew -- and to do it with Ronon was brilliant.

Kudos for a great ep, and a great use of characters that just left me smiling all the way through. Can't wait to see this week's installment!

Mad Man said...

Um, quick question, don't you mean December 7th? And today is wednesday and tomorrow will be thursday December 6th, and not friday December 7th, or have I entered the twilight zone?

Anonymous said...

I've noticed from reading the comments on your blog that some Stargate fans have amazing senses of entitlement.

I think I must be in the minority when I say I want neither Beckett nor Weir back. I liked both of them, but I like Carter and Keller better. In fact, the only time I didn't agree with casting was when Beckett was made a regular, as it seemed to me he was just shoved into some episodes for no reason.



Anyhoo, I'm buried in 47 cms of snow here in NB, so had some time to spare :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,

My daughter Jamie and I love watching Stargate together. It's our thing, some time we both look forward to each week. I just wanted to come on here and thank you so much for that. I hope you all know that you really have made an impact on people's lives, and in a good way. Even all the folks who complain, you've impacted them in a good way, too.

Anyway, after Miller's Crossing she turned to me and said, "So, do you think Sam is ever gonna really be in this show, or what?" I must say, I agree with her. So far we've both been disappointed with how little Sam has been a player this season. She's Jamie's favorite. Of course I'm madly in love with Jack.

My question is, will Sam have a bigger role this year, or is she doomed to be a bit player?

Marsha_R said...

beckett'n'weirfan said...

...and avoiding the episode like the plague because I don't know that I trust you to love her and do good things for her the way her fans would like you to.



You do realize that Joe's not writing fanfic, don't you?

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Emily, you lucky girl! :D

So I went over to the MGM site to play the weekly game, right, and get this: for the "MIller's Crossing" game, you have to rescue McKay ... and his sister, "Sharron". Oy! They got the detail about McKay having to break said sister's leg correct but they couldn't get her name right ... *headdesk*

I hope all of the SG cast & crew who live in the areas where the storm hit are okay! :(

Re: the book clubs, hopefully I will get a copy of The Time Traveler's Wife in time -- David Hewlett recommended it on his own blog a while back, so this is double incentive to read it now! And hankfully I've read The Princess Bride twice before, so even if I don't find the time to read it again, I can still participate with that one!

Unknown said...

Hi-

I wanted to throw in an opposite opinion about the casting complaints. Personally, I'm not a big fan of Beckett, Weir, *or* Carter. Beckett, though, was the only one I had a real problem with. He wasn't a bad character, I just don't think he fit into the show where he was written. With regards to the other two, I'm really looking forward to how the Weir thing is going to play out. As for Carter, I was very very worried when I heard what her position on the show was going to be. I was pleasantly surprised to see that not only did my worst nightmare (McKay acting like an idiot) not come true, but I really like the Sheppard/Carter dynamic on the show.

I'm another person who got sent over by Cate, and despite a few "eh" moments, I for one, am enjoying the season so far. Cheers.

Mags said...

First of all, I'm an idiot. I just put two and two together from Kimberlee's post that "the boonies" is short for the boondocks. Wow.

I'm anxiously awaiting This Mortal Coil. I have no idea what to expect as I missed the trailer last week and from your comments.

As somebody with multiple pets, how have you introduced them together when adding a new pet to the mix? Did you get them all as puppies? My brother and I are moving in full time with my dad soon which means introducing my sweet but territorial cat to his two cats- one of which is the sweetest thing ever but scared of her own shadow and the other a typical alpha male (who may or may not be part bobcat) who thinks he rules the roost. I'm asking as many multiple pet owners for opinions as possible in order to get the smoothest transition. Thanks!

And congrats to Emily! I'm looking forward to reading about your virtual dinner.

Emily said...

Geez Pauline, now I have to think of ALL NEW QUESTIONS!! :D

You know, I better not get blasted after this for not asking all the right questions! I apologize in advance to anyone who finds my questions boring and/or uninsightful. But it's my prize and I'll ask what I want to!!!

Anonymous said...

We interrupt this blog to bring you another long-winded post.

At the risk of being pelted with stones for this, although I liked the characters of Becket and Weir, I also can see why major characters may be dropped from the cast from time to time. After all, in real life things change, people change, situations change, and, yes, people actually do die. Life is change.

The (fictional) folks in Atlantis are living in a different galaxy, with very dangerous things happening around and to them. Things they could not have imagined when they first arrived, much less have planned for. They are literally surrounded by the unknown. It has to be expected that they will be affected in one way or another by what is going on around them - and not always in a positive manner.

I admit I'm having a hard time warming up to Keller, but, at the same time, I wasn't all that keen about Carson to begin with, either, but that changed over time. I expect the same will happen with Keller. Yes, she strikes me as mousy, timid, and unsure of herself, but I'm willing to give her a chance. I believe she will shine once she finds her feet as it were.

As far as Carter goes, I think she's the perfect replacement for Weir. Weir was a diplomat, yet she never really seemed to be involved in any diplomacy, except with trying to keep her own people in line, and with the Genii. And, given Carter's comment to Sheppard, it would seem that he had been offered the position but turned it down before it was offered to her. Guess the Mensa in him kicked in for that one. He may be a little slow on the uptake at times, but not when it counts.

Further, Sheppard's actions with respect to Wallace in Miller's Crossing are dubious at best, and, depending on your point of view, either morally reprehensible or perfectly justified due to Wallace's own actions. But . . . and here's the kicker . . . would he have even thought of, much less considered, doing what he did when he first arrived on Atlantis? Would McKay have dreamed he'd ever offer his own life for someone else's, much less have actually made the offer, even if that someone else was his sister? Somehow I doubt it on either count. They've both changed from who they were when they first arrived, so why can't anything else change? Why is it so many people seem to want things to remain static? If there is no change, things get boring, and when they get boring, it all becomes a big yawnfest with the story for every episode going something like this: Team goes through gate. Team runs into bad guys. Team kicks bad guys' butts into the middle of next week. Team goes home. The end.

I'm still not sure of my reaction to Miller's Crossing. I admit I was surprised by what Sheppard did, even though I knew he had done something morally ambiguous just by reading some of the things that have been posted in various forums.

Personally, I think that Weir is busily taking over the Replicators. After all, she was strong enough to be able to fool Oberoth into thinking he had Sheppard, which gave Sheppard, Ronan, and McKay the time they needed to get away. I suspect Oberoth was a lot more surprised by that than he would like or admit.

We also know Carson's not dead, although where he is, how he got there, and what he's been doing is up in the air.

I, for one, don't know what you folks have cooked up for future episodes except in the broadest sense, but I'm quite happy to let you do your thing and tag along for the ride, which I expect to continue to travel upward from the merrry-go-round to some kind of sidewinder roller coaster, with lots of dips, turns, loops, and death-defying spirals along the way. Wheeeeeee!

Also, as an aside, regarding the anonymous poster that asked you about dedicating Friday's/Saturday's post to This Mortal Coil and providing your thoughts on the episode, if you do decide to do that, could you wait until Monday for those fans that live in your own country and don't get to see the episode until Monday? Because otherwise it means we have to boycott your blog until we have seen the episode, except, of course, for those that are content to be spoiled beforehand.

And, kudos to everyone involved in the making of the show! Everyone involved in the production has a part to play and without all of the parts there is no show. Yay to the writers, producers, directors, lighting people, FX people, music folks, gaffers (what is a gaffer anyway?), and, last, but not least, the actors, because without all of the others, the actors have nothing to "act".

Yeah, yeah, I know I'm rambling now so I'll leave it at this. Got to go plug the car in anyway since it's just after 9 p.m. and -22C with clear skies, which means it'll likely get even colder overnight. As I don't much feel like having to hoof it to work in the morning in that kind of cold, I'm going to go make car all happy and warm so it'll be nice to me and start in the morning.

Anonymous said...

"Anonymous said...
To beckett'n'weirfan - Asked and answered - a million times over already!

December 5, 2007 6:36:00 PM PST"

Um. No it hasn't been. Where is the "We HAD to get rid of Torri/Elizabeth because...." explanation. I doubt she's even been given a true explanation other than "we want to shake things up, so we're getting rid of you".

Or maybe Joe Flanigan was right, and it was all about getting Amanda Tapping in to replace her and get ratings. If that was the plan, it's backfired miserably.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, with you comment about "this post approved by Torri Higginson", you are a complete and utter twit.

Maybe we should get Joe Flanigan to approve every comment people make about whumping, thunking or slashing. What do you think?

Maybe Amanda can approve every comment made all over the place about that god-awful uniform she has to wear (I feel for her. It's hideous)

Truly, anonymous, there's a reason you won't sign your name to that post. I'm pretty sure you're the same person who says the same sort of things on Gateworld, and who claims to NEVER post anonymous comments.

We get it. You don't like Weir. Some of us do, and if there's any possibility of her involvement in season five, we'd like to encourage TPTB to head in that direction. Torri has said she'd like to come back if they want to use Elizabeth in a good way.

Get over yourself.

gatedialer said...

"Well, tomorrow is also special in that it is the day that This Mortal Coil, the mid-season finale and script that almost killed me, finally airs."

you darn near scared me half to death. I read that line and had a mini-panic attack thinking that today was Thursday and I missed my Language, Thought and Culture final exam! I sat in my chair stuck in the thought "today isn't really Thursday, is it?!" LOL Considering I have been studying since this past Friday, my focus has been on the content of my exam rather than the days! Phew! Oh well, no biggie. lol Its a good laugh.

Oh!

About the folks who have their panties in a bunch about cast changes...I admit I was a little fussed about Weir's new path, but was glad in a way because her character was kind of not going anywhere. She was a favorite character of mine and I have to say, I rather like the path the writers have her going. As for Carson...well, things like that do happen and at least I have the DVDs lol People just gotta deal with the cards they are dealt with

Kat

PG15 said...

AV eddy said...
PG15, did you make it out of the police station OK???? You're starting to worry us! :)


Oh, no worries, I just got back. Yeah, had a little talk with the chief and I think he bought my stories...and by that I mean the truth. Yes, he bought my truth. He also asked me where this Joe Mallozzi lives, but obviously I didn't know.

So I told him to wait outside Bridge Studios (he knew exactly where it was; turns out, he's a Stargate fan, and a Jack/Sam shipper to boot!) for the next week or so, and watch for the guy in the suit 'n tie. Also, he's going to post men outside Fuel and question everyone who samples my BFF Belcham's experimental cuisines.

And I'm posting this to let Joe know: be careful where you go in the next week or so (Oooo...quadruple rhyme).

Anonymous said...

Joe, do you read reviews of SGA episodes? IGN or Dreamwatch (I can't remember which) keeps knocking big points off because Carter is never in the episodes. All this posting about how she's not involved reminded me. That's all.

Anonymous said...

As if you haven't had enough questions about Teyla's child, I thought I'd add one more. Are there any potential names that the writers are considering for the kid?

Anonymous said...

"I admit I'm having a hard time warming up to Keller"

Oh, God. I feel your pain. I want to like her because Jewel's great.

But God, she's awful. It's painful to watch that character. She is, in my opinion, the most pathetic character this franchise has ever seen. I wanted Teyla to beat the crap out of her and give her something to really cry about in Missing.

Oh, how I wanted to see that.

Amz said...

Thanks for the further insights into the production process Joe. It makes me appreciate even more how much work goes into a tv show like Atlantis.

How do the writers work out who writes what story?

You mentioned the idea that started This Mortal Coil (just reread Hamlet a couple of weeks ago, haha) came from Brad Wright, so I'm wondering if there was a particular reason you got it.

Anonymous said...

cat4444 said...
We interrupt this blog to bring you another long-winded post....

At the risk of being pelted with stones for this, although I liked the characters of Becket and Weir, I also can see why major characters may be dropped from the cast from time to time. After all, in real life things change, people change, situations change, and, yes, people actually do die. Life is change.

The (fictional) folks in Atlantis are living in a different galaxy, with very dangerous things happening around and to them. Things they could not have imagined when they first arrived, much less have planned for. They are literally surrounded by the unknown. It has to be expected that they will be affected in one way or another by what is going on around them - and not always in a positive manner.

Why is it so many people seem to want things to remain static? If there is no change, things get boring, and when they get boring, it all becomes a big yawnfest with the story for every episode going something like this: Team goes through gate. Team runs into bad guys. Team kicks bad guys' butts into the middle of next week. Team goes home. The end.

I, for one, don't know what you folks have cooked up for future episodes except in the broadest sense, but I'm quite happy to let you do your thing and tag along for the ride, which I expect to continue to travel upward from the merrry-go-round to some kind of sidewinder roller coaster, with lots of dips, turns, loops, and death-defying spirals along the way. Wheeeeeee!


Sorry I had to snip your post!

But I just wanted to say I agree. Though optimistic I was wary about the changes. But, I went along for the ride and have really enjoyed what I've seen.

It's easy to want the same all the time, I agree, but things do get stale very quickly.

Season 4 has been a breath of fresh air, and though there has been one episode that wasn't my cup of tea, it was still good though, I've loved every episode so far!

So, I personally think cast changes can be for the better, even though it was a little unsettling for me at first. I believe it's paid off. :)

Anonymous said...

i totally agree with everything you said beckett'n'weirfan

Edward4th said...

NO! you can't leave us in suspense over Christmas. Its just not cricket and could result in a lawsuit for cruel and unusual treatment.
It looks like another day of glorious Cornish sunshine(rain) I have to finish my christmas shopping in this and there are roadworks for bloody miles so visibility is going to be down to bugger all-AGAIN.
Bah! Humbug.

Anonymous said...

I think my brain just exploded from trying to figure out how you were going to report on your virtual dinner in Thursday's blog when it is not happening until Friday.

Amy Lynn said...

Cyn writes: “Joe, will you be decorating for Christmas and if so, share some pics?”

Answer: Uh, I was kind of hoping you’d come over and string the outside lights for me this year.


Throw in a plane ticket, and I'll do your outside lights for you.

Anonymous said...

Joe said: The truth is, given the way we build stories (which is not all that different from most shows), all of the writers have a hand in all of the scripts. One writer may come up with the original notion, but that original notion is then shaped by differing opinions and suggestions, becoming an actually story idea.

So if all the writers have a hand in putting together the stories, how do some of the really bad ones (which aren't that many) get out to the public? More to the point for me, how do unexplained changes in "canon" happen without somebody in the writing room noticing it?
Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your POV, science-fiction TV and movie fans are some of the most loyal and yet some of the most critical at the same time in all of fandom (IMO.) Is that a weight on the writer's shoulders knowing that the episodes are going to be more disected and analyzed than most TV shows? Do you guys try to appeal to the middle 70% of fandom (ignoring the 15% love everything no matter what fans and the 15% super critical or I used to like the show fans?) As much as I do like to really analyze the show, I don't envy the writers and producers sometimes because of the rabid nature of sci-fi fans.
Here's to hoping that This Mortal Coil is more like Reunion and less like Irresponsible.

Anonymous said...

How do you think Cameron would react meeting Jonas for the first time? Excited about meeting one of the 'lost' members of his team? Threatened in some way, such as if Daniel treated Jonas more friendly than he ever seemed to treat Cam?

Curious minds and all that!

Thanks for your time, Joe!

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe

I love Carter being in Atlantis, I've always been a fan of hers and I really like the way she's grown throughout 10 years of SG1 and now into an 11th year in Atlantis.

It's just a further development of her character, taking a desk job just like O'Neill before her. I think the scene in 'The Seer' with Sheppard summed up her new sense of responsibility superbly.

That said, I do miss her heated debates with McKay and that grit determination she always showed when off-world.

Will we get to see any of that heated Carter/McKay scientific debate in the back half of season 4?

Paula said...

I am also interested in seeing how "I Am Legend" comes out on screen. I do remember Will Smith coming here to the CDC to talk to some of my co-workers about pandemics and outbreaks. All of them spoke about how intelligent he is and thought it boded well for the film.

And big thanks for taking on the topic of fandom bitterness. Has anyone ever studied this phenomenon? Sci-fi is such a generally hopeful part of story-telling that it amazes me how bitter some of its fans get.

Anonymous said...

So I've been reading your blog for a few months now and I finally have a question more or less worth asking.

Most of the insulting comments (either toward the show, or towards an actor, or even you and your fellow writers) are left by "anonymous" people.My question : are you hidding their names because they asked or do they think it's likely they'll be taken more seriously if they leave anonymous comments ?

Onto another subject, when I heard at first that Amanda Tapping was to be part of the SGA cast I was both happy,because she is a fantabulous actress, and a bit nervous, because I'm a McKay fan and in SG1 McKay was mainly here to be the bad choice/to belittle guy, which I didn't really want to see in SGA.
Now that it is done and I've seen the result, I can only thank you and all those supporting that idea, not only because Amdanda is obvioulsy still a fantastic actress, but also because I just love the way she's being written in the show.
So that's it, just a huge thank you (you and all those making the show as you said) :).

Grayjo said...

Hi, first time poster... so I'll make it a long one :p

I'm from Australia, so I'll willingly take any of your coldness you have extra... little warm

It is bizarre how some "fans" treat a creator of a show they supposedly support.

I wish Beckett and Weir were still in Stargate. I also didn't like Doc Frasier or Daniel leaving SG-1. Hell, to me Hammond leaving was an end of an era.

However, I don't think the best way to achieve anything is to post angry comments saying actors have been chucked out for no reason. Just because no reason is given, does not mean there is no reason. Have a little faith. I watched series 6 of SG-1, even though Daniel was one of my favourite characters. And instead of grinding my teeth, complaining about the audacity that my personal whims were not satisfied, I kept an open mind and grew to like Jonas. I showed my support for the SaveDanielJackson thing, but felt no animosity toward the writers.

Instead of demanding that Joe "explain himself", passively show support. Telling anyone they is "wrong" is not the way to convince them you are right.

I think Weir and Beckett were great characters and I would love for them to return in some way or other. My watching Atlantis is not dependant on their inclusion.

If you are watching solely to see any particular character, then you are not a real Stargate fan anyway.

I do wish Carter got some more screen time, it seemed strange that there was a complex scientific problem, and Carter isn't even mentioned? Even a "she's too busy" would have sufficed.

In closing, props to you Joe, for putting up with all this, and for consistently posting! I always look forward to reading your blog. Thanks!

AscendedTauri said...

So, something tells 'This Mortal Coil' is going to be controversial in some way or another, or you wouldn't have written out how it came to be.... ohhh, interesting. Looking forward to it.

Nate said...

Joe, I was reading a Gateworld article FINALLY detailing the DVD release of Ark Of Truth, and something struck me as odd. Earlier reports on the movie, including an interview with Robert C. Cooper, suggested that it would be equivalent to a three-part episode story arc, and yet, the article stated that the AOT feature would only be 97 minutes long, much closer to a two-parter. I found this to be rather disappointing, as I was hoping for a much longer movie.

Loving all this Weir vs Carter stuff being posted here, btw, there's some really passionate stuff and its always enjoyable to read on a daily basis, like the opinion pages in my local newspaper.

That being said, I feel I need to weigh in here. People are whinging about losing Weir and Beckett, yet I see their names mentioned as guest stars on Season 4 episodes. For me, this is enough, because it means that they still have a significant role to play in the series.

Every TV series I've watched in my life has had cast changes throughout its life, and while some have had more impact on the shows than others, I can honestly say that not one single change has happened that hasnt positively affected the show in some manner.

Even the more controversial ones, such as the death of Michael Vaughn in Season 5 of Alias, led to new and intriguing storylines, and in the case of Alias, the only mistake they made was bringing him back just because the fans kicked up a stink. The storyline in which he returned seemed rushed and rather pathetic in the scheme of the show.

In the case of Carter and Keller, I too miss the fact Weir and Beckett are no longer to be regular part of the series, but I believe that the stories in which they were removed are some of the best in the series. "Sunday" completely floored me, much the same as SG-1's "Heroes" did, and "Adrift/Lifeline" intrigued me.

The introduction of Carter gives the show something that I fancy the execs desired; long-term credibility. In a time when SG-1 has ended and Atlantis is being threatened with the axe every season, having Carter in Atlantis, after 10 solid years on SG-1, means that the show has a star capable of holding the show together, if necessary, for a long time, and that is something crucial for any show.

In terms of their character development, I would like to know how much you so-called Weir/Beckett fans knew about the characters after less than 10 episodes of Season 1?? Is it not reasonable to expect that it will take time to initiate these new characters into the storyline?? And if the execs revert back to old characters, what happens to the new ones?? Will you have them just disappear, like Jonas Quinn did??

Ok, enough of the bitching session, hope someone learned something from it...

UNSRM said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
UNSRM said...

Hey Joe,

On stargate: Are we going to see Carter doing any of the sciency things that SG1 fans are used to seeing. Even though I appreciate she is base commander it seems that in a number of recent situations, such as the virus, she could have proved useful, even if not decisive, I can't imagine the character not trying.

On House: How do you feel about the new characters, personally I like them but am worried some of the existing cast especially Cameron and Chase are being underused. Any thoughts?

Best Wishes,

Chris (UNSRM)

Anonymous said...

Hey Lizabeth - just wanted to thank you for a really great, eloquent post. It was nice to reaad a calm, reasoned, unaggressive opinion on a contentious issue that seems to inspire so many posters to spiteful, angry behaviour. Kudos to you. You've certainly left this reader with a greater appreciation for your viewpoint.

Anonymous said...
How about you be the magnanimous one and change yours so that me and my ilk can enjoy the show better?


You seem to have failed to grasp a vital point here - the opinion of you and your ilk is not the only fan opinion out there, possibly not even the majority opinion out there, and whilst you are of course entitled to express said opinion, why on earth would you think that Joe should be in any way obligated to pay attention to it, much less to pander to it? There are fans of every possible description out there, each with their own opinion. Forget about Joe's opinion - what makes your opinion any more valid than theirs? Why should Joe do what you want with the show and not what this fan wants, or that fan wants?

All these folks that keep complaining that Joe should listen to what the fans want, here's a challenge for you - find me any one opinion/desire that the fans (that's all the fans) have about the show. What's that you say? There is no opinion that is supported by all fans? Then how can you expect anyone to "do what the fans want"?

becket'n'weirfan said...
Um. No it hasn't been. Where is the "We HAD to get rid of Torri/Elizabeth because...." explanation. I doubt she's even been given a true explanation other than "we want to shake things up, so we're getting rid of you".

Or maybe Joe Flanigan was right, and it was all about getting Amanda Tapping in to replace her and get ratings. If that was the plan, it's backfired miserably.


I've read quite a few reports from folks who were at that convention - and even seen video of Joe F's Q&A - and I certainly don't recall him expressing the opinion that your attributing to him above. Just because you have interpreted his comments about the cast changes and about ratings etc as supporting your own personal agenda, doesn't justify you seeking to involve him in your little dispute with Joe. It's a oretty sly thing to do to effectively try and stir up trouble between the cast and producers just to further your own agenda. Maybe that's not your actual intent, in which case I apologise, but you can surely see how it looks to other readers?

As for why TPTB had to "get rid" of Torri/Weir... they didn't. No-one held a gun to their heads. They chose to. It was a creative decision made by the people who have been running the show for a long time, and who can reasonably be assumed to have a better understanding of the TV business, and of writing/producing etc a TV show, than the average fan. I suspect that's as much as you're ever going to know and I think you're just going to have to learn to deal with that. Joe doesn't owe you an explanation and just because you can't see any reasons to lose Weir from the show, doesn't mean those reasons weren't there.

Anonymous said...

Weir and Beckett are great characters who I do miss.

But I don't mind them not being on SGA because this season so far has been the best of them all.

Decisions get made all the time that fans don't like. I'd prefer Atlantis to be more cut off from Earth...for it not to be so easy to have contact. I want less military. I want more Wraith...I want Michael. There's a hell of a lot I'd like to see, but it's not to be since SGA isn't being made to MY specifications.

I do think that those fans who are clammering for Weir and Beckett need to realize they are NOT the majority and they DO NOT speak for all fans of the show.

I also think they need to get over it and themselves. We're halfway through season four on scifi and the whole season has been filmed. There really is no reason to go back. What's done is done.

As a result of these changes we get more Sheppard, McKay, Ronon and Teyla. It's more about the team which I prefer no matter how much I liked Weir and Beckett. We got some awesome episodes that have surpassed those in previous seasons.

Weir and Beckett fans who harp on Carter and Keller will NEVER be satisfied unless their character of choice is on the show no matter what TPTB do.

I am happy that SGA continues to do well despite what's said.

Jim From Jersey said...

"Answer: I see. So you’re like a spoiled brat who sulks because the other kids are out playing ball after your mother has called him home to bed. Who cares if other fans are enjoying Atlantis and the possibility of Carter, Daniel, and Teal’c visiting? If you can’t enjoy it, then no one should. You, my friend, are a sub-genre of embittered fandom that I don’t get. Although I may not agree with many fans who criticize the show for a) losing Weir, b) losing Beckett, c) losing Ford - at least their arguments come from a love for the show rather than childish resentment at the possibility that the characters will continue to live on outside of your narrow expectations of them."

Damn nice reply.

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe I wanted to say that I watched Irresistable, I have season 1,2, and 3. I could not believe how funny that episode was. The first time that I saw it alot of the punch lines I missed. Batman, the stepford wives, it was very funny the second time around I really enjoyed it . I just had to comment on that. Thanks cassie

Anonymous said...

I hate to sound like a little brat, but Gateworld is saying that Ark of Truth is 97 minutes long. While I'm amped to be getting more SG-1, that's only two episodes length in total, so why the incredibly long wait?

And better question why not the length of 3 episodes? you guys were awesome enough to do that for The Seige, and for the Allies/Misbegotten/No Man's Land arc, and supposedly for the middle of this season. How come this is so short considering it ties up the entire Ori storyline?

Thanks, and sorry I sound whiny

Anonymous said...

To state for the record, I'm really enjoying this season and I have no issue with any cast changes...as if you needed my blessings :o) Anyway, I've just been curious about the replacement of Weir. Had SG-1 been renewed, what sort of direction would her replacement have taken? Would it possibly still have been Carter or maybe someone else we have seen in the past? Thanks...and thanks for putting out a show that even on a bad week still tops most other shows.

Anonymous said...

Raaaaa bravo Emily ! have fun

Avez vous des calendriers de L'avent au canada ? ( avec des chocoalats ... hummm )

Que pensez vous de la citation suivante :

Si tu as envie de travailler, assieds-toi et attends que ça passe. "

Anonymous said...

Jessamyn said...
Anonymous, with you comment about "this post approved by Torri Higginson", you are a complete and utter twit.


Truly, anonymous, there's a reason you won't sign your name to that post. I'm pretty sure you're the same person who says the same sort of things on Gateworld, and who claims to NEVER post anonymous comments.

I see .. first attack the poster.

Try to make every one think the poster is dumb or stupid or an outright lier and FYI I only read the news on Gateworld. I never post there.

Next.. change the message to something that was never said:

Maybe we should get Joe Flanigan to approve every comment people make about whumping, thunking or slashing. What do you think?

Maybe Amanda can approve every comment made all over the place about that god-awful uniform she has to wear (I feel for her. It's hideous)


I said in my post that the message approval tag would ONLY be for messages that specifically requested Torri Higginson return to Atlantis.

We get it. You don't like Weir. Some of us do, and if there's any possibility of her involvement in season five, we'd like to encourage TPTB to head in that direction. Torri has said she'd like to come back if they want to use Elizabeth in a good way.

I never said anything about liking or disliking Torri. It is these constant posts that I don't like.

From what I have read she is a very nice person. As I said in my post. if she knew about the content of all of these posts and how it had gone well beyond encouraging to polarizing the readers of this blog she would tell you to stop.

BTW.. Every interview I have read of actors that have been on SG1 and Atlantis for either a short or long run have said they would love to come back if the part was right. Torri just confirmed what every other actor has said. It was NOT a call for repetitive posts.

I am done.. No more posts from me on this subject lest I too become a repetitive poster.

Anonymous said...

Just curious - What are Baron Destructo's plans for the upcoming holiday? Baking cookies? Sending out cards?

Anonymous said...

oh oh oh (like le père noël) On va voir le père noël dans Continuum ? ou Bruno l'ours ? car le tournage était près de chez lui...donc cela suscite mon interêt...

Je vous laisse en chantonnant

...Vive le vent, vive le vent
Vive le vent d'hiver
Qui s'en va sifflant, soufflant
Dans les grands sapins verts...
Oh ! Vive le temps, vive le temps
Vive le temps d'hiver
Boule de neige et jour de l'an
Et bonne année grand-mère...
Joyeux, joyeux Noël
Aux mille bougies
Quand chantent vers le ciel
Les cloches de la nuit,
Oh ! Vive le vent, vive le vent
Vive le vent d'hiver
Qui rapporte aux vieux enfants
Leurs souvenirs d'hier...

Anonymous said...

Marcans writes: “ I still really like Carter, however can you please tell me what exactly was the justification for bringing her into command of Atlantis?”

Answer: From the point of view of her character, we did want someone in the command position who would be comfortable going off-world, if need be, and someone who could get involved in any city-centered stories. We also wanted someone that Stargate fans were familiar with. After some discussion, it was decided that Carter was the logical choice as she fit the bill - and also offered up a science and military background that we could exploit (again, whenever the need arose). The command position on Atlantis has always been more of a supporting role and this is the tact we took in season 4. That said, we did get to see soldier Sam on display in Reunion, and also explored her leadership in The Seer. From more of a behind-the-scenes reasoning (something that has yet to be brought up), Amanda was the obvious choice because she is a terrific actress, is always professional, a lot of fun to work with (this from practically everyone who has worked with her, from grips to directors), and exudes an onscreen warmth that is on par with her off-screen personality.


Merci Mr Mallozzi d’avoir écrit ses quelques mots qui me réconfortent un peu. Ça peut paraître bête mais j’ai été « choquée » par l’irrespect de quelques fans vis-à-vis de certains acteurs comme Torri, Amanda ou Jewel. Qu’on préfère Weir à Carter, Carter à Weir, Carson à Keller, je le comprends parfaitement. Qu’on décide de ne plus regarder Atlantis parce que son personnage préféré n’y est plus, je le comprends beaucoup moins car pour moi Atlantis est un TOUT et pas seulement un seul acteur. Mais ce que je ne comprends pas du tout c’est que certaines personnes en viennent à s’en prendre aux acteurs eux-mêmes en disant qu’ils sont nuls, qu’ils ne devraient plus jouer dans la série car leur jeu est médiocre et ennuyant.
Ça me dépasse. En tant que fan de Carter, il est évident que je suis contente qu’elle soit présente sur Atlantis mais pourtant, j’ai regardé les 3 premières saisons alors qu’elle n’y était pas et je les ai beaucoup aimées. Cette saison j’apprécie les épisodes où Carter n’est pas et si malheureusement elle n’est pas présente dans la saison 5 (je croise les doigts quand même pour qu’elle y soit), ben je continuerai à regarder car j’aime Atlantis, non pas pour un eul acteur mais pour le divertissement de quelité qu'il procure.
Avoir Carter est comme un énorme bonus pour moi car j’aime ce personnage depuis le premier épisode de SG1 et évidemment qu’en tant que fan j’aimerai voir plus de Carter (son côté scientifique me manque comme son coté guerrier…d’ailleurs c’est ce qui pourrait la différencier d’avantage du personnage d’Elisabeth) mais je sais aussi qu’il en faut pour tout le monde, pour tous les autres fans de John, de Rodney, de Ronon… et que jamais vous n’arriverez à satisfaire tout le monde.

1)Croyez-vous que certaines critiques ont à ce point « blessé » Amanda ou Torri (je ne sais pas quel est le choix des producteurs) pour qu’elles hésitent à signer pour la saison 5 ?

2) Et vous Joe, est-ce que certaines critiques que vous lisez sur les acteurs ne vous énervent-elles pas ? Est-ce qu’il ne vous est jamais arrivé de vous dire (vous et les autres membres de l’équipe), on ne peut pas satisfaire tout le monde donc on va suivre nos envies en faisant le meilleur show que l’on peut ?

Je crois que j’ai été un peu trop longue, désolée et bonne journée Joe.

morgia said...

Bon après-midi Joseph (ben entendu un après-midi du Jeudi et non pas vendredi !!)
Houlala, que de passion pour ce blog, je ne sais plus si je lis ce blog pour tes commentaires ou celui des bloggers ! Non mais il faut avouer que les détracteurs de Kellers et de Sam sont assez mordant, pour ne pas dire cinglant. En plus je suis désolé de l'admettre, mais ils sont assez intéressants. Ils sont sturcturés dans leurs idées, ils ont de nombreux arguments et finalement me font me questionner. Je n'ai pas vu encore le saison 4 (pas de tele numérique)mais j'ai l'impression qu'elle est excellente. Combien de série ho combien prometteuse sont tombé dans l'ennuie ou le cliché après suelement 2 à 3 saisons ? Beaucoup... Comme si parce que le sujet était de la science fiction ou du fantastique il faillait nécessairement que ce soit un divertissement familiale et avec une petite morale nonoune à la fin. Ce que j'aime de SGA, c'est qu'enfin j'ai trouvé une série sc.fiction qui s'adresse à des adultes intelligents. La saison 4 semble être ainsi. En fait, je comprends un peu les détracteurs. Prenons par exemple la série Six feet under (une émission culte et combien extraordinaire !!) Quand le personnage de Lisa est arrivé dans le décor tous les fans ont grincés des dents(tut, tut, je suis certaine que toi aussi). Les fans ont tellement réagi qu'à la fin les writers ont compris et l'on fait assassiner (bon un peu drastique, mais combien jouissif.)C'estpourquoi, au bout du compte je comprends pourquoi certains hurlent au scandale de voir partir leur personnage préféré. Je trouve ces commentaires intéressants, même si je ne les approuve pas.
Ouf, désolé c'est un peu long aujourd'hui j'ai bu pas mal d'expresso.
À bon entendeur salut

Anonymous said...

1)Are there any "forbidden" planets in the Pegasus Galaxy still untouched by the Wraith?

2)Will the IOA and SGC be forced at any point to cut Atlantis off "permanently" from ever returning home?

Anonymous said...

Have you thrown around any good story ideas for Daniel that you're happy with yet? I know it might still be a little early, but I'm just really excited about seeing Daniel on Atlantis next year.

Anonymous said...

And like anonymous 1 said, the same goes for Elizabeth. Will she come back? And as always the magic 8 ball will be most useful in this situation.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever read any books by Robert McCammon? If you haven't, I recommend his books, especially the book, "Swan Song".

Anonymous said...

I sworn I wouldn't get involved in this Weir & Beckett argument on this blog... and here am I...
To all the Elizabeth fans who are complaining about being dismissed, etc. As others have pointed out, look around. Not all the people who don't agree with you are "anti Weir". In fact I love Elizabeth and miss her (and I'd love to see her back for at least some episodes in s5), but I'm tired of this whole thing in the fandom. The Save Carson Beckett campaign has always been a positive one. Whether TPTB and fellow fans agree or disagree with them, they have always respected the people wanting to bring Carson back, because they have always expressed their opinions in a positive way. Even those who are not watching the show anymore have always said things like "well, it's not the same for me without Carson so I'm not watching" but they never stated "the show is crap without Carson". People understand and respect that others can't enjoy the show anymore because their fave character is not there.

The Weir fans that keep posting here and at Gateworld are focusing on "how crappy the show is without our wonderful Elizabeh. Crap crap crap writing. Everything is crap unless our beloved Elizabeth is back". They look like spoiled kids. I'm sure not all the fans wanting Elizabeth back are like that, but the vocal ones are, and that's the image they are projecting over fandom. And, really, with that kind of attitude, don't expect any empathy from fellow fans.

Unknown said...

*waves*

"Anonymous said...The knives are out for poor old Shep, and not for kirking this time. They want him court martialed for the events of Miller's Crossing. There's even a thread on GW!"

I know! Fab isn't it? Actually I think it's Jackie's secret way to unite the whole of the fandom. ;)

Picture this..

Poor Sheppy held in detention his hands and legs are tied with shackles as he shuffles across the floor to his lonely cell. (This will of course get the Shep whumpers into a frezy with the angst potential). Then hauled up in front of the court, dressed up in his smart blues. ;) (This will get the Thunkers into a tizzy) Once procession of the trial starts, those that hate Shep will be cheering, those that love Shep will be angsting. Fans of McKay and Jeannie will of course be crying over his having to tell the prosecution and defence how close he came to losing his sister. Then of course he'll move on to when he had the 'talk with Shep' and reliving the moment he called Shep 'John', whilst pleading with him that he needed to die to save his sister. *sniff* (The slashers will love this bit). You'll then have the Ronon fans jumping for joy as he leaps to Shep's defence, particularly if things are not going well in the court room, and Ronon tries to break Shep out of his prison cell. Of course then you've got the fans of the Wraith who'll scare the crap out of the jurors and be Shep's character witness (this i'm sure will please Linzi whose very much into Todd and Shep. ;)

Of course, then, Teyla will get angry (because of the hormones) that Shep's not getting a fair trial and will feel the need to beat the crap out of everyone. (Thus pleasing the Teyla fans) :D And last but not least Carter fans will be overjoyed by the fact that she'll stand up for Shep and take the rap from him, saying it was her responsibility and he was acting under her orders. ;)

What's not to love? :D

So Mr M are you dressing up for the occasion?

*hugs*

Anonymous said...

Cheeky said:

(Well, as usual, she said quite a lot really, so I'll skip to the part I want to comment on...)

Of course then you've got the fans of the Wraith who'll scare the crap out of the jurors and be Shep's character witness (this i'm sure will please Linzi whose very much into Todd and Shep. ;)


Honestly Cheeky, people are going to think I'm a secret shipper, and we both know that's not true! It's all about character development, you know? Oh, right, that's Shep whumping... Well, I was near!

Great scenario though. I'd really like to see your vision of Shep's trial. Oh, the angst, and the chains, and the whump...sigh

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...

As if you haven't had enough questions about Teyla's child, I thought I'd add one more. Are there any potential names that the writers are considering for the kid?

Why is everyone so sure the child survives? Teyla could have a late-term miscarriage or the baby could be stillborn or......

Anne Teldy

Anonymous said...

I have to say how much I have enjoyed the mixture of character developments and action in season 4. It has truly been a great season. That said, if you could change one thing about this season, what would it be?

Anonymous said...

You know it's interesting the whole Beckett/Weir debate. Yes I miss them both, but I decided to approach the new season with an open mind and while I have enjoyed much of the season - and do in fact feel the loss of Weir hasn't damaged the show - I'm afraid for me I'm missing Beckett more now than I did when he was first axed. It could be because I dislike Keller so much. I agree Jewel is a great actress and I would have loved to have seen her with a good part; however this isn't it. I don't know why I dislike her so much I just know that when the character is on screen I tend to flick away from watching the show. I miss the warmth of Beckett's character and as much as I've tried not to I'm afraid I compare her to Beckett constantly and end up wishing he was on screen instead. It's unfortuante and I didn't expect to miss him quite so much - you really don't know what you've got sometimes till it's gone. So I would love to see Beckett back next year, Weir yes but not as much.

Anonymous said...

It's relatively easy for the Sheppard, McKay or Carter fans to sit & point fingers at Weir fans. You know they will not replace the two main characters, JF brings in good viewer #s. Carter, well that's just not an area I have any interest in exploring, lest I lose my cool.

So, the point is, when your favorite character is secure, you truly do not know how it feels to have one of your favorite characters removed. Please do not bring up when some other favorite show of your lost so, and so ... in this particular show you have not lost a central character.

To everyone calling Weir fans names by saying they are argumentative, let's think for a second... Beckett was in a supporting role, much like Janet Fraiser was in SG1. If the Beckett campaign is able to bring him back for even 1 episode they are doing fine. Whereas Weir was considered to be a central character, she should be present, given better story lines. *and I know I will be ripped to shreds for that one, or called names*

Also Alipeeps, I was present at the convention, and Joe Flanigan in no uncertain terms uttered the following sentence: "they brought Carter over, with the hopes of higher ratings; that did not happen". There was no way to misinterpret what he said. Just as Mr. Mallozzi, Mr. Flanigan is entitled to his opinion and since this is a free country, able to express it.

Something everyone should've learned in grade school, when you point a finger, four points back at you. Just stop, and take a minute or two, before you jump on another person here. Some are eloquent in their posts, and some are not. Some are more vocal than the others.

Your favorite character is no more important than the next person's favorite character. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Thank you for letting me rant. Apologies for taking too much space.

Anonymous said...

amac251 said...
Have you ever read any books by Robert McCammon? If you haven't, I recommend his books, especially the book, "Swan Song".


I second that! I enjoyed it much more than Stephen's Kings "The Stand". McCammon's written some excellent books. I also loved Stinger and his short story Pin - very creepy. If you haven't read any of his books, you should check them out.

Anonymous said...

joe,

je pensais que SGA était une série à part entière, alors que vous êtes en traint de nous mettre les anciens...je vous rappel que SGA n'est pas SG-1!!!! un bonjour de temps en temps de leurs part ok c'est à dire 1 épisode sur 20!!! mais là ça devient du n'importe quoi.
c'est ce que je ne comprend pas, c'est pouquoi vouloir remplacer weir par sam alors qu'elle est plus compétente que sam sur des sujets que seul weir peut contrôler.
En plus on a deja fait le tour de sam, ca fait deja 10 ans qu'on la connait de long en large, de droite à gauche!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sneaks in to sing (very loudly)....


Happy Birthday To You
Happy Birthday To You
Happy Birthday To TORRI.......
Happy Birthday to YOU!

You know, just in case she checks in here occasionally..... =)

Oh, and Joe, have you started The Princess Bride yet? Do you find yourself comparing it to the movie? I am. (Of course this assumes you've seen the movie).

Sneaks back out.....
SMB_BOOKS

Anonymous said...

The people who keep accusing the Weir fans of basically being bitchy and attacking the show, grow up.

There are a lot of us who used to post on GW, who just don't bother anymore.

Do we post messages here? Yes, because we'd like to politely encourage JM and his kind to consider returning Torri and Elizabeth to the lineup.

The bottom line, I'm sure the cast changes were done in part to encourage more people to watch. I'm sure they thought that with Amanda in the lineup, that would happen. It hasn't happened. Had she been included as a recurring actor and had Torri and Paul remained part of the cast, it's likely ratings would have been better than they are.

It would have been killing two birds with one stone, so to speak. Get the SG1 fans to tune in on a regular basis to see Carter, if they happen to like her, and keep the Beckett and Weir fans by not alienating them.

The people who keep saying Weir fans are rude and Beckett fans are not, consider this: Weir had a higher profile. She has more fans. You just have to look at the relevant threads on the various forums to see that. The larger the group, the more likely it is that some people will be more outspoken.

It's as simple as that. If you want to throw double standards around, I can absolutely say that all Shep thunkers are perverts who have about a million pictures of his ass and crotch on their computers. However, I know plenty who aren't like that at all.

So unless you want people to throw stereotypes around about other fan groups, don't attack all the Weir fans based on the outspoken posts of two or three people on GW.

If you're talking about the anti-season 4 thread, I hate to say it, but there are just as many people who are specifically anti-Carter or specifically anti-Keller in there, as there are fans who are pro-Weir.

Stop acting like you're all holier than thou and pure as the driven snow. You're not. Especially given some of the biggest supporters of season four of Atlantis are the same people who play in the anti-season 9 and 10 threads for SG1.

Anonymous said...

I don't normally read the comments here, but I happened to today. Joe, thanks for interacting with us fans at all. Especially those of us who might disagree with you, and do so out of love for the show. If this is what your comment section is usually like, well, I'm sending you a bottle of virtual Tylenol. Er, perhaps several bottles....

That being said, I am very much hoping to see Weir next season. I'm really missing her this season.

Take care.

Anonymous said...

In response to our anonymous friend who said ... what were her/his exact words, "It IS all about me!", along with the comment at the end essentially saying that the show should be changed for them.
The characters are the writers' creations. What they do with them, and the stories they write are their decisions. Yes, I concede that without the fans, there would be no show, but that does not give them the right to tell the writers what to do.
I'm a writer, and I know that if some fan of a book of mine came up to me and said that he didn't like what I'd done with the story, and told me I had to change it to suit him, I'd tell him to take a flying leap. There have been changes I didn't like over the seasons (i.e. killing off Jacob Carter, wiping out the Tollan, and the inclusion of the Anise character), but I also understand that these decisions are the writers', not mine.
So, anonymous, until you start making the show, remember that your opinion is exactly that, an opinion. Not a canon law that the writers should bow down to.

And P.S. If you don't like Atlantis (only SG-1), then why are you watching? Why not just watch reruns of SG-1?

Anonymous said...

You know Mr. M,as for the fans tearing apart SGA or giving their opinons on each show, well, although the fans are the "butter" to your "bread", the people who write, work and put together each show are the experts. So actually all of you are the "steak" to our "potato" yes? I think everyone is doing a GREAT job on the show, and stuff happens so I say to all those picky nikki's take a chill, relax and enjoy the creations. If not, well then get a job doing it yourself.

Anonymous said...

yb, beautiful post. Very well said.

I too am sick of certain other fans pointing the finger. The fact that a lot of them seem to be devoted Flanigan fans, snarking at Weir fans in particular is ironic, given the fact that Joe has said at at least two conventions now that he misses Torri.

His comments aren't in response to people asking about her, either. I was also at Burbank. He brought her up twice without anyone mentioning her name, first to say he misses her, second to say that when he invited the cast over to watch Galaxy Quest, he looked over at her and she was the only one not laughing. He seemed to find that quite amusing.

Joe is supportive of Torri. Joe is supportive of Paul. Why can't those of you who are his fans stop attacking the fans who are upset about losing their favorite character, when the actor himself obviously understands how the Weir fans feel. Do you think perhaps you should post an "approved by Joe Flanigan" comment every time you tell the Weir fans to shut the hell up and stop talking about wanting her back? Because he, at the Burbank convention, and yes, I was there, said people can get their voices heard, by posting on GW, posting on this blog, etc. He mentioned this in particular relating to Torri's situation.

yb is so right about the people who are fans of Carter and Shep not understanding. You can't possibly understand. You know they're not going to dump Amanda because for some reason, she's the golden girl of TPTB. You know they'll never get rid of Joe, because you know what? Without him, there is no show, and JM and co won't have their eating out budget! The viewership would plummet without "the pretty".

Before you bitch about the Weir fans, consider how Joe F would feel. He understands the fan concern, probably more than anyone in a writing office at Bridge Studios. He certainly sees it first hand a lot more than TPTB do because he's out there on the street, being recognised, talking to fans, going to conventions. He misses working with Torri. I think you'd find he'd be pretty shocked to see some of the things you're writing about how people should just shut up and get over it.

Stace said...

Looking at the comments, it seems like those voicing their opinion tend to be those who are unhappy about some element of the show - be it who is in it, who is out of it, why exactly you used colour filter 4 instead of 2...

The majority of fans are happy; the ratings show this and, thanks to Cate's comments to others, more people have come out of the woodwork to say, "Actually, there's nothing wrong which is why we don't comment, please don't see this as us hating you."

I applaud the SaveCarson guys for showing how to behave - you can protest the loss of your favourite character in a well mannered way, not by acting like children and trying to malign an entire show based on one decision you didn't like.

I think the new season so far is great, and look forward to not only the rest of it but season 5 too; you guys are doing great work.

Anonymous said...

yb said: "Beckett was in a supporting role (...) Whereas Weir was considered to be a central character, she should be present, given better story lines."

Sorry, but we disagree. I've always seen both Carson and Elizabeth as supporting, neither of them central. In fact I think neither the base commander nor the CMO should've ever been made regulars, no matter who actors play them.

In my opinion, the focus of the show is the team: John, Rodney, Ronon and Teyla, and those are the ones that make sense to have as regulars. The base commander, CMO, other scientists and military personal are supporting and it makes sense to have them on a recurring basis.

Anonymous said...

Uh, Stace, regarding this comment from you: "The majority of fans are happy; the ratings show this"

What are you on, and can I have some? The ratings show the majority of fans are happy? When before did you see SGA get a rating of 0.9 twice in the first half of a season? That would be never, right?

If you're going to claim that the majority of fans are happy, at least have the figures to back that up.

I doubt you'll unscreen this, JM, because it's logic and mathematics, but I'll be disappointed if you don't, because it'll show that you just don't want people to look at the bottom line, and that's the figures.

Anonymous said...

"Also Alipeeps, I was present at the convention, and Joe Flanigan in no uncertain terms uttered the following sentence: "they brought Carter over, with the hopes of higher ratings; that did not happen". There was no way to misinterpret what he said. Just as Mr. Mallozzi, Mr. Flanigan is entitled to his opinion and since this is a free country, able to express it."


I was also present at the convention and can vouch for what Flanigan said. That won't stop some from ignoring his words or trying to squash information to suit their own little "personal agendas". Mallozzi said that the decision to remove Higginson had nothing to do with Tapping. Flanigan said the exact opposite. Who's wrong?

Anonymous said...

quoting Joe - or a disappointingly underachieving Irresponsible.

Really?? I thought it was a nice homage to the spaghetti westerns of my childhood. As I have said before, there isn't an episode of SGA that I havent enjoyed (I am at the end of S4) and I can't say that about any other tv series.

Now, if you will excuse me, the thermometer has reached 20deg C and is still climbing; there is hardly any wind and, oh, surf's up!! It will be great on the beach and in the water, especially now the shark nets have been put across the bay. I am sure JoeF would have loved that when he was at Byron Bay.

Have a great virtual dinner, Emily.

TTYL

Anonymous said...

Larrin and Sheppard should get it on.

They are hot together.

Anonymous said...

Anon:

The posterbefore you is correct; you cannot compare Season 4 to previous seasons as you are not taking into consideration the steady decline in figures across all TV shows in the last year.

I do not have the figures to hand for enough to show you this is true, but if you took the numbers of the shows from 4 years ago and compared them with this years with regards to the overall viewing figures for varying networks, the percentiles would come back favourably, therefore supporting the argument.

The show could easily have dropped to .6 or 7 repeatedly, yet the very tech-savvy Sci-Fi fans saw the need to boost the live ratings as they counted, not Tivo or iTunes... just because we are all living in the modern age, doesn't mean the people who control the puppets are.

In essence, the fans have kept the show afloat.

morgia said...

«Kinder said...
Raaaaa bravo Emily ! have fun

Avez vous des calendriers de L'avent au canada ? ( avec des chocoalats ... hummm ) »

Oui on en a, mais je savais pas que ça s'appelait comme ça...
:)

Anonymous said...

Can I just say that there is an interview on the MGM site (I can't remember which guy it is, but it might be Brad Wright) - the interview is before season 4 and possibly even while season 3 was being filmed (not sure, I didn't watch it all and haven't the time to go and re-watch it).

Anyway, he (Rob/Brad?) says in that interview that Carter will be coming over the Atlantis with her own ship.

Therefore, TPTB already had a way of bringing Carter over that had NOTHING to do with getting rid of Weir - however, when looking for a replacement for Weir they decided to bring Carter over as leader as opposed to commander of a ship.

It is there on the site, go watch the interviews. Carter coming to Atlantis had NOTHING TO DO WITH Weir going. It's there in the audio equivalent of black and white for all to hear.

I myself remember hearing about the ship idea before I heard that Weir was being replaced as leader of Atlantis ... so please stop saying that they got rid of Weir to bring Carter in - it is clear that they didn't as they already had an idea of how to bring Carter into the show! They didn't need to remove Weir for her!

Man, people will believe what they want despite the evidence sometimes!

And yes, I did and do like Weir! I just accept that changes happen sometimes! And I'm loving season 4 despite the changes.

Okay, that's all I'm saying on this. I hope someone can tell everyone which interview it is they need to go watch.

Anonymous said...

YB said...
" Please do not bring up when some other favorite show of your lost so, and so .."

Why ? Because it completely invalidates your statement "when your favorite character is secure, you truly do not know how it feels to have one of your favorite characters removed "

I suspect a large portion of SGA fans were also fans of SG1. That show lost 2 male leads that were fan favorites. In my opinion the personalities and contributions of those characters were a vital part of the show . We also lost Hammond and Frasier , who though more replaceable, were well loved. When I watch reruns with Janet or medical scenes without her, I still feel the loss. I mean no slight to the other Drs. I like them all, but Janet is my favorite.
In this we disagree: I don't see either Weir or Beckett main characters.

AV eddy said...

Hey Teen Gang,

Let's not try to start a "war" between Joe/Shep fans and Torri/Weir fans, m'kay? First of all, it's stupid. Second, it's really stupid. Third, I like both characters, and it would be stupid to be at war with myself.

The accusations being thrown around (You're whining! You're mean! That is/isn't what Joe/Torri said! That is/isn't what Joe/Torri wants! You can't understand how I'm suffering!) are just exacerbating the problem.

Absolutely no fan here is being victimized by their "favorite character" not being on the show, or not appearing in every episode, or not being dressed as they'd like, or JM not sharing every private business detail with the public.

If you want to show support for a character, show support for a character. Don't attack other characters, fans, etc.

If you see something in an episode you don't like and feel the need to express it, express it as your opinion (which is is) and do it politely. Maybe mention something you do like too, to show balance.

Bad reputations for certain fandoms get started not by the majority of cool people who like a particular part of a show. They're started by a small, vocal group of angry people who repeatedly act like jerks. We don't have to let that happen.

eddy

Anonymous said...

yb said...
Also Alipeeps, I was present at the convention, and Joe Flanigan in no uncertain terms uttered the following sentence: "they brought Carter over, with the hopes of higher ratings; that did not happen". There was no way to misinterpret what he said.


Good. Then you agree that he didn't say "it was all about getting Amanda Tapping in to replace her and get ratings" which was the suggestion that I was responding to. Yes, Joe said he thought bringing in Amanda was hoped to bring higher ratings. Yes, he said he misses Torri and didn't want Weir to be cut from the show. Those two statements, no matter how much people might want them to, do not equate to "Amanda was brought in specifically to replace Torri and the only reason for doing so was to try and increase the ratings" which was (and is) the suggestion being (repeatedly) made.

And to the folks now up in arms over people "attacking Weir fans", the vast majority of posts I've seen on here today raising the issue of the behaviour of some Weir fans have taken great pains to specify that they are talking about some, not all, very vocal Weir fans whose behaviour does not reflect well on the group at large. And really, by turning around and lashing out at what you presume to be the fandom preferences of those who happen to disagree with you, how does that improve things (or the reputation of Weir fans in general)? Making unwarranted attacks on Shep thunkers shows everyone how well-behaved and hard done by Weir fans are, does it? Frankly, it comes across as spiteful and petulant. I believe they also teach in grade school that two wrongs don't make a right. You're also, incidentally, doing just what you accuse other fans of and tarring all - for example - JF fans with the same brush.

Personally, I can understand just fine what it feels like to lose your favourite character in a show - partly because I'm capable of empathy and partly because it has happened to me with other shows I've been a big fan of (although, apparently having been through a similar experience does not qualify me to understand the pain of folks in this specific fandom. For some reason). I was sorry to see both Weir and Carson go but I've been able to accept the changes and I'm lucky that their loss hasn't affected my enjoyment of the show. That doesn't mean I have no understanding of or empathy for those who are upset by the changes. However, the point has been well made by others in today's comments that the vocal bad behaviour of a small group of particularly vitriolic fans has had the effect of eroding the sympathy other fans may once have had for those who have lost their faves. It's a real shame. And yet that behaviour continues to be perpetuated, even here. :(

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said: "What are you on, and can I have some? The ratings show the majority of fans are happy? When before did you see SGA get a rating of 0.9 twice in the first half of a season? That would be never, right?
If you're going to claim that the majority of fans are happy, at least have the figures to back that up."


Please, go and do some research on how ratings are calculated. Ratings point vary from week to week. You can't compare a 0.9 from last year with a 0.9 this year, for example, and say that the number of viewers remained the same.

According to the info I've seen online (and I'm sure Joe Mallozzi will correct me here if I'm wrong):

No Man's Land got a 1.54 Live+7 HH coverage rating = 1,897,000 viewers

Adrift got a 1.41 Live+7 HH coverage rating = 2,002,000 viewers

If you look at the ratings point, you're going to say that No Man's Land got more viewers than Adrift because 1.54 is higher than 1.41. You'd be wrong. Adrift got more viewers than No Man's Land, despite the rating number being lower.

Anonymous said...

LOL my beach companion has been delayed, so I decided to red some of the comments of today - silly me.

Poor Sheppy held in detention his hands and legs are tied with shackles

Someone, ANYONE?? - HOLD ME BACK!!!

as he shuffles across the floor to his lonely cell.

He wont be lonely for long :O

(This will of course get the Shep whumpers into a frezy with the angst potential).

Angst?? Way to spoil a fantasy!!! ROTFLMAO

Okay, :) SFM is leaving the building!!!!

Anonymous said...

leesa perrie said: "... TPTB already had a way of bringing Carter over that had NOTHING to do with getting rid of Weir - however, when looking for a replacement for Weir they decided to bring Carter over as leader as opposed to commander of a ship."

If people bothered to watch the interviews Brad Wright gave back in 2004, they would remember that he said at the time that the first idea when creating Atlantis was that the base leader would be a woman and that Sam was going to be the leader, thinking that SG-1 would be ending with s7. But SG-1 got renewed and so they decided to create the Weir character and keep Sam in SG-1. During SGA's s2 and s3 there were interviews where Brad Wright also said at the beginning of each season that Amanda Tapping could be part in SG-1 and part in SGA, but things didn't go that way.

Now, considering that he's one of the show's creators, if he wanted Sam from the beginning but for whatever reason he couldn't do it before, he can certainly bring her to Atlantis whenever he wants and he doesn't have to justify himself to any fan. It's HIS show

ptarmigan said...

Joe, I think you must have the patience of Job, or the skin of an elephant. Uh... I meant that as a compliment. Really.

There is such a tizzy out here today! Is it the full moon tonight? *checks calender* Nope. Hmmm.

SO. Here's a VERRRY important question for you, because I don't know if I can live if you answer it incorrectly. *sits on edge of seat* Have you and the gang taken advantage of all of your wonderful snow and gone sledding yet? *remains on edge of seat fearfully awaiting the answer*

*winks*

Thanks for continuing your blog, even on the less-than-fun days, as I imagine this one might have been.

ptarmigan

Unknown said...

Hi Joe,

Have you read The Chronoliths by Robert Charles Wilson? It's about a series of mysterious objects that begin appearing all over the earth, and the attempts of a group of scientists to understand and stop the influence the objects have on world events. A different kind of time travel book and a fascinating read!

Anonymous said...

Silver said We also lost Hammond and Frasier, who though more replaceable, were well loved. When I watch reruns with Janet or medical scenes without her, I still feel the loss. I mean no slight to the other Drs. I like them all, but Janet is my favorite.
In this we disagree: I don't see either Weir or Beckett main characters."


I am sorry, if you simply go by the opening credits, Fraiser was not on there. Hammond was not versed in goul'd, where as Weir was brought on the mission specifically for her language/negotiation skills and the ability to read & understand Ancient. She lead the team, the mission. It was the writer/producer's job to give her the stories, to fit the original premise. Instead, because she was harder to write for, she got stuffed back.

It was team SG1's job for the most part to do all things Gould. Hammond truly acted as a figure head & a liaison between the president and SGC. I loved the Gen. Hammond character as well. As for Janet Fraiser, may I say, I cried when she was killed. It did effect me, it was unexpected, but it told a beautiful story of losing a comrade in the line of duty. Where as Beckett got blown up by exploding tumors. (yes now I will hear about he was doing the honorable thing by removing it himself, instead of waiting for the bomb squad or Atlantis version of it).

Alipees I didn't want to bring in/include other shows simply to keep thing on topic to Stargate. You explained your feelings beautifully by bringing in Stargate SG1. I suppose I should have been more clear in my statement.

As for your following statement "I was sorry to see both Weir and Carson go but I've been able to accept the changes and I'm lucky that their loss hasn't affected my enjoyment of the show"

I am really glad that you continue to enjoy the show as you had before. I and many others do not. I am not going to try and pull numbers out of a hat to say how many, because I do not know. I only know the group of people I spoke to at the convention and in my circle, who have either stopped being regular watchers or stopped completely, because they feel the core group & feeling of the show is gone.

I still watch, although I am not paying that much attention to my screen anymore. This last week's episode was one of the better ones of S4 so far (for me), and I enjoyed it.

I am afraid the disagreement/ difference in fans opinions will not be resolved on this blog or on a message board or anywhere else. There's always going to be disagreements. We are humans, we can't get along in real life ... look at our world in the present day. Certain incidents (like natural disaster, or the fall of the World Trade Center) unites us only briefly, and then everyone is back to being their same self.

Anyway, again, apologies for taking up too much space spewing my rant. I am sure I only contributed to the overall drama.

morgia said...

«Rudolph_loves CHRISTMAS said...
Je vous laisse en chantonnant

...Vive le vent, vive le vent
Vive le vent d'hiver
Qui s'en va sifflant, soufflant
Dans les grands sapins verts...
Oh ! Vive le temps, vive le temps
Vive le temps d'hiver
Boule de neige et jour de l'an
Et bonne année grand-mère...
Joyeux, joyeux Noël
Aux mille bougies
Quand chantent vers le ciel
Les cloches de la nuit,
Oh ! Vive le vent, vive le vent
Vive le vent d'hiver
Qui rapporte aux vieux enfants
Leurs souvenirs d'hier...»

Hé pour calmer les tensions de ce blog j'ai décider de t'accompagner virtuellememnt avec un bon vieux «reel» de violon comme dans les bonnes veillées canayenne !!
Tadatidadada !!!! iiiaaaaaaa!

Unknown said...

Okay, so some Carter message board must have organized themselves today. I wanted to thank you for keeping her commitment just as it is. You kept to your word to all us Atlantis fans about her 'supportive' role and I wanted to thank you for keeping it that way.

Weir never really had a ton of screen time and Carter has basically the same amount. Good. Thank you.

I watch the show for the TEAM. Sheppard, McKay, Ronon and Teyla. They have been and always will be the heart of the show.

Anonymous said...

rosebud said...
"Also Alipeeps, I was present at the convention, and Joe Flanigan in no uncertain terms uttered the following sentence: "they brought Carter over, with the hopes of higher ratings; that did not happen". There was no way to misinterpret what he said. Just as Mr. Mallozzi, Mr. Flanigan is entitled to his opinion and since this is a free country, able to express it."


I was also present at the convention and can vouch for what Flanigan said. That won't stop some from ignoring his words or trying to squash information to suit their own little "personal agendas". Mallozzi said that the decision to remove Higginson had nothing to do with Tapping. Flanigan said the exact opposite. Who's wrong?

Okay Rosebud so where did Joe F in this statement say that Carter was brought over to replace Weir. I don't see it mentioned at all. He just said Carter was brought over to try and improve ratings, he didn't say Carter was brought over to replace Weir.

You are interpreting his sentance to suite yourself and adding words that aren't there.

Joe M has stated they made the decision to remove Weir and then looked around for someone to replace her, how many times does he have to say that he didn't get rid of Weir to bring in Carter, Weir was already going.

It would seem some of the Weir fans are out to cause trouble for Joe F by making statements attributed to him that he didn't make.

If they can't get what they want they will just stir up trouble.

Me I'm an Atlantis fan have been since day 1 and will continue to be as I enjoy the whole show. I accept cast changes, I don't always have to like them and if at some point I don't then I will walk away and find something else to watch.

Whinging and complaing because you aren't getting what you want isn't going to change anything. You don't own the show. There are plenty of fans out there who do love the show and the majority of comments on Joe's blog about season 4 so far show that.

You seem intent on the show failing just to prove a point, well sorry to disappoint you because it's been renewed for a 5th season and hopefully many more so that those of us who love the show can continue to watch it.

Jules
A very happy Atlantis fan.

Anonymous said...

AV eddy said...
Hey Teen Gang, [etc.]


Well said. Now lets all hold hands and sing kumbaya. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? ;)

YB said...
Alipeeps I didn't want to bring in/include other shows simply to keep thing on topic to Stargate. You explained your feelings beautifully by bringing in Stargate SG1. I suppose I should have been more clear in my statement.


It wasn't actually me who brought in SG1 but I share the sentiments of the poster who used that as an example. Similar examples for me include The X-Files, where I rapidly lost interest without Mulder, and Due South which, despite Fraser being my favourite character, simply wasn't the same for me without the original Ray. In both cases, the changes did spoil my enjoyment of the show and I eventually stopped watching. Such is life I guess. With shows such as House and SGA however, though I've had my apprehensions at times, I've enjoyed the new direction and the changes haven't diminished my enjoyment.

YB also said...
I am really glad that you continue to enjoy the show as you had before. I and many others do not. I am not going to try and pull numbers out of a hat to say how many, because I do not know. I only know the group of people I spoke to at the convention and in my circle, who have either stopped being regular watchers or stopped completely, because they feel the core group & feeling of the show is gone.


And I am sorry that your enjoyment has been diminished. As I said, I consider myself lucky that I am still enjoying my favourite show and I do feel for those for whom the changes have been a cause for unhappiness. We all have our different preferences and it's never going to be possible to please everyone.

YB also said...
Anyway, again, apologies for taking up too much space spewing my rant. I am sure I only contributed to the overall drama.


No, you didn't. You explained your opinions in a very calm and pleasant manner and I enjoyed reading them and responding to them. If anything, you led by example and helped show that there's no need for drama. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm narrow-minded because I feel that the characters are ill served by appearing on what I perceive to be an inferior show?

To follow this and make sense of it let me see if I get what you are saying.

You started out by telling Joe you didn't like Atlantis and never watched after a certain point and you think he should stop trying to put your favorite SG1 character on Atlantis because you think Atlantis is not a good enough show for them to be on. Right?

As I see it you based this on your personal assumption that the SG1 characters are being added to make Atlantis better or more interesting and you set forth to berate Joe and company based on your assumption, which is not known to be a fact but only your opinion, that the show is not of a high enough quality to have the SG1 characters guest on it.

It seems to me that you never stopped to consider any other option than your own assumption which you then felt entitled you to state that Joe is doing something wrong in putting these characters into Atlantis. It doesn't seem to occur to you that there are possibly numerous other fans out there who are happy to see their favorite SG1 characters making appearances on Atlantis.

Maybe they think it's a natural progression, maybe they secretly think it is because Atlantis needs the boost. But none the less they are happy to see their favorite in a new and who knows, more challenging setting or having a storyline that continues on.

So I agree with Joe, you do seem to be throwing a 'waa, waa stop playing with my toys' temper tantrum based on what you assume.

The thing is these characters aren't your toys and many people in Stargate fandom have just as much right to see them being played with by the writers(whose toys they really are) in other playgrounds.

So Joe is right, it is people of your ilk as you call it who do more harm than good. You think the world of the SG1 characters revolves around you and your criteria for them and it doesn't.

If you don't like to see the SG1 characters in Atlantis then don't watch. But don't assume you have some fan given right to take that away from others or jump all over Joe M just because you have made assumptions about things.

I don't watch Atlantis either. I don't care for it and none of the characters past or present have grabbed my attention. But if Daniel showed up, you bet I'll be there.

Is that possibly some ploy by the writers and networks to get more viewers. Well d'uh, that's the name of the game and I don't mind playing along if seeing Daniel again is the reward for it!

I'll just have to hope I can trust the writers and the actor to take good care of Daniel for me and give me something worth tuning in for.

And if I don't like what they do to Daniel on the show then as someone who watched it and took the time to be a viewer then I might possibly have a good reason to voice complaints over it. But to try and stop the writers from adding these characters based on my opinion of show would be very egotistical I think.

Anonymous said...

Although I may not agree with many fans who criticize the show for a) losing Weir, b) losing Beckett, c) losing Ford - at least their arguments come from a love for the show

THANK. YOU. It's so refreshing to hear you say that. I complain about the changes, but I still go out of my way to watch the show because I still love John, Rodney, Teyla and Ronon. Fans who are criticized and told to shut up for continuing to voice their disapproval with the direction the show has taken are still fans, and they're no more or less worthy of voicing their opinions than so-called "Sam fans", a term I take offense with because I adored Sam on SG-1. It's refreshing to hear that you see things "our" way.

And since you mentioned Joel's score, is there any chance that you know of for an updated soundtrack to SG-1/SGA? There were soundtracks for the pilots of both shows, but later seasons had such gorgeous scores that I'd love to have on CD.

Thanks!

gothphyle said...

As someone who rarely offers lauds and laurels, I have to step in to say that (against my paranoid expectations) I really think this is the best season so far.

Good enough to get some of my most resistant friends on board the fan-wagon, and good enough to spawn enough controversy to float the Titanic.

Kudos! If the fans are talking, and passionately!, then you're hitting the right chords.

I'm still reeling from the superbness that was Miller's Crossing, and counting down the minutes 'til Mortal Coil.

Anonymous said...

I feel the need to leave a comment to you, Joe. I've been reading many 'attacks' towards you (as in collective you, the wonderful people who make this show) for losing Weir, Beckett and Ford or for bringing in Sam.
I understand where their anger or their confusion comes from - I've got an inordinate love for certain characters myself (which I will not go into because it's not the point now). They feel betrayed that their favorite character/actor left/was tossed out the window and feel the need to voice their opinion, which is perfectly good and their right to do so.
I feel their loss too, of course. I love all three characters and cried like baby during Sunday.
But honestly? I felt like leaving a comment that said 'I understand' instead of 'OMG How could you DO that?!'. I understand that a show has to evolve, that some characters have a cycle, even if you never knew it from the beginning. I understand that if a show stays exactly the same and takes no chances then it'll be a miracle if they survive for much longer.
Atlantis takes chances on its characters and its plot lines and I find it wonderful. Sure, it may not work for everyone or for every episode, but honestly? Have in mind that you guys are making an amazing show. I've seen many TV shows and only Atlantis has turned out so many excellent episodes per season - and this not just from a character POV. I'm speaking visually, I'm saying plot lines and the questions it throws at you before you even notice (such as Miller's Crossing touched the idea of 'How far would you go for a loved one?')

Just thought I'd leave my two cents.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to write and tell you how much i have been enjoying season 4 - i was a big fan before the start of the season, but this season in particular is superb!

so i just wanted to say thank you - to the writers, and the crew, and the actors - to everyone involved with getting SGA on our screens.

Thank you very much! You're doing brilliantly!