
One more reason to hate facebook. Marty G. posted pics of his Hawaiian holiday. Lovely. I actually contacted Martin a couple of days ago to fill him in on the ongoing production developments. Halfway through update, he stops me to marvel: “Wow! I see a whale!” He was in San Francisco at the time.
To those of you who asked me to weigh in with my thoughts on The Golden Compass. Well, it was a fine book for young readers. Just fine. I do, however, wonder why it is that authors of juvenile fiction have a hard time parceling out exposition, instead choosing to deliver backstory and revelations in big undramatic globs. I loved reading most of the Harry Potter series but found that every book would end with a lengthy chapter or two in which all of the book’s mysteries are explained like a Miss Marple Mystery. In the case of The Golden Compass, in the space of one conversation our heroine is given backstory on the mystery, her uncle, the fact that he is in fact her father, and that, oh yeah, Mrs. Coulter is her mother. At the time, all I could think was: Wow, what a mind-blowing revelation this could have been!
Overall, Pullman creates a very interesting world and some very interesting characters (my favorite being Iorek Byrnison, the armored bear). It was surprisingly dark, something I loved, but the story took a strange turn for me very late when they started talking about Original Sin and its connection to the Gobblers’ experimentation. This was the point when the alarm bells started going off in my head. I couldn’t tell if they were the “author has a lesson to teach us” alarm or the “author has an axe to grind” alarm (they both sound amazingly similar), but it was enough to turn me off the rest of the stories.
By the way, I heard back from Jill at Pyr (a fellow pug owner I might add). She is offering, suitably enough, free copies of The Blood Debt: Books of the Cataclysm Two (the follow-up to The Crooked Letter: Books of the Cataclysm One) to three lucky readers who finish The Crooked letter and are ready to continue the series. Winners will be announced sometime in mid-January so start reading.
I’ll be getting around to The Crooked Letter once I’ve finished Alas, Babylon - which shouldn’t be all that long from now as I ended up reading the first 150 pages in one sitting.
Today’s pic: Marty G. and Stephanie in Hawaii.
Today’s mailbag:
Charles Schneider writes: “Will you guys get any kind of break after the mid-season finale?”
Answer: The writers never get a break.
Debi writes: “You mentioned that Harmony would be the 17th episode (August 13), but now it's the 14th.”
Answer: Harmony has been moved up in the schedule.
Randomonity writes: “It's my birthday on the fourth! (tomorrow here in Australia) Care to wish me happy birthday!”
Answer: Sure thing. Happy Birthday!
AMZ writes: “I'm very excited about the new category, and the chance/excuse to finally read a Straub book. I'll have to see if I can find all the books for this month somewhere.
What was the motivation for the new genre?”
Answer: I read and loved Dan Simmons’ Summer of Night, another book in the genre.
Lou Anders writes: “Actually, I'm only Hugo-nominated, not winning.”
Answer: Well, in our hearts, you’re a winner, Lou. Also, I notice Fast Forward 1: Future Fiction from the Cutting Edge, edited by Lou Anders, sitting on my bookshelf. A future scifi book of the month club nominee perhaps? An SF anthology would be a nice change of pace.

160 comments:
reathke said...
''I hope Carter and Keller will be in season 5 with some appearances of Weir and Beckett''
how bout weir and beckett full time in season 5 with some guest appearances by carter and keller?
December 3, 2007 4:58:00 PM PST
AMEN TO THAT!
Sadly, the people making the decision don't see the forest for the trees when it comes to the popularity of the characters. This season's ratings, which have been dismal, should give some indication of how popular the newcomers are.
Even Joe Flanigan has said that the idea of bringing Carter in was to boost ratings. Even he admitted it hasn't worked.
Guys, think about it logically. It's okay to admit that the experiment didn't work and bring back Beckett and Weir fulltime. Let Amanda move on to other things, or do some recurring work.
Are you doing something different when you are uploading the photographs? If I click on them to enlarge them instead of them showing in another window my computer opens them in some of my software.
For BOTM club, are any books going to be non science fiction or horror (sorry, I haven't looked through your entire blog to see if that was the case)
Hey Joe,
There has been a lot of stuff about the Golden Compass lately with the movie coming out. Google it and I'm sure you will find the author giving his intentions (re: C.S. Lewis and Narnia). I'm not going to go into MY opinion on the subject, but I'd put a check in the "axe to grind" column.
Any of those ongoing production developments you might share with us in the near future?
Also, how many movies do you watch in say, a month, as opposed to the number of books you read? Of those, how many times do you to go the theater rather than watching them on dvd?
How dare Martin post celebratory photos while you are still slaving away in cold Vancouver. Do I see a clever prank coming around the corner?
Dear Joe,
When does filming actually start for season 5? Do you think Paul McGillion will be available when you approach him about returning full time to Atlantis? Carson Beckett is so missed!
So did Paul and Martin both see whales?
Wow, you pretty much had the exact same reaction as I did to the His Dark Materials trilogy. Except I gave up on it at the end of book 2. I have the third book, but unless I'm desperate for a read, I doubt I'll ever read it.
With harmony being moved up in schedule, Jodelle ferland will reach out to more stargate atlantis fans, who will come to know who she is, as she has a good role in that episode i guess.
By the way
TIS THE SEASON TO BE JOLLY TRA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA
Cool pictures
Joe, every season has episodes that don't have much to do with season's main storyline, so is there any way at all you can have an episode where the team finds Ford, cures him, and sends him back to his grandparents and be done with it??? Before "The Hive" Ford was ALWAYS able to get out of impossible situations and show up when he was thought to be dead, therefore any fan would believe that Ford definitely survived the events of "The Hive" which left his storyline unresolved!!!Can you please find a way to get him into season 5 so his storyline can FINALLY be resolved????
Thanks for the birthday wishes, it really made my day!
As an avid reader, do you ever see yourself getting a digital reader? Any interest in the Kindle at Amazon?
(inane question of the day)
Tell Martin if he has to stay in San Francisco again, that the Clarion Hotel just south of the SF airport has the BEST beds in the country. Ask for a tower room...
You know you're quite amazing? How do you keep up such a writing schedule AND find time to blog every day AND answer people's questions? Did you clone yourself at some stage?
keep up the good work!
- Dana
Hi Joe,
I have a question regarding the scheduling of episodes.
I always assumed that episodes are shot with a certain sequential timeline of events in mind - but you've mentioned several times about moving episode air dates around.
That indicates to me that you shoot a handful of episodes to hit certain beats, and the rest are character development episodes that can air at almost any time in the season.
Question is: How do the writers keep it all straight when spinning stories for a whole season, since character development depends on those major story beats?
It ends up looking cohesive on my screen - so either you boys are very good, or you're very lucky.
:-)
So you guys going to do anything to get back to Marty for going away to Hawaii while you're working? Especially with that whale comment while you're talking about work :P
If he's still there, he's probably laughing at his luck for missing our current weather.
Hi Joe!
Ahhhh, don't begrudge Martin G. some love in the Hawaiian sun!
From your mailbag:
Charles Schneider writes: “Will you guys get any kind of break after the mid-season finale?”
Answer: The writers never get a break.
LOL, and after reading pages and pages of board posts and blog comments about Miller's Crossing, I wholeheartedly agree! LOL! Great ep, BTW!
Have a great day!
eddy
Joe, thanks for telling us about The Golden Compass! I heard that it was an anti religion/atheist type book. I will think abit more before i read it "that if i do"! I wonder what the movie will be like then...! I hope you do get a break & relax a bit! Is it still snowing in Vancouver? We have had hot summer days then freaky thunderstorms in the arvo here in sydney.
From what I have seen of season 4 it is shaping up to be a great season! So thanks to you all for giving us an awesome show!
Cathie
I do, however, wonder why it is that authors of juvenile fiction have a hard time parceling out exposition, instead choosing to deliver backstory and revelations in big undramatic globs.
Please don't generalize juvenile fiction with your experiences from The Golden Compass and Harry Potter. Doling out gobs of exposition is a failing of many writers -- who write for both adult and juvenile audiences. There are plenty of superb literary juvenile novels out there if you care to read more than these two novels. Just check out the Newberry winners for a good selection. Off the top of my head, I recommend Out of the Dust, A Single Shard, and Holes.
[And no disrespect, but SG is guilty of doling out huge gobs of exposition in every episode. I just find it curious that that's one of your main criticisms of The Golden Compass.]
I usually don't respond to other people's comments, but since Anonymous #1 was the first comment, it was hard to overlook.
"This season's ratings, which have been dismal, should give some indication of how popular the newcomers are."
I think this person has overlooked the fact that most TV ratings on all channels have gone down this season.
Season 4 is by far my favorite season of Atlantis so far. Keep up the good work for season 5!
I found the GOlden Compass and the two other books in the trilogy to be a lot of fun and a very absorbing read. I did need to get past the beginning part with all the exposition, but it was definitely worth the wait.
And I find the religious/fantasy themes fascinating. I mean, isn't that why we all ready genre fiction and watch Scifi, to see new worlds and think about new ideas?
I didn't find anything about an axe to grind in the story, personally.
After having been disheartened and bored by the last two episodes, Miller's Crossing brought me back to the kind of episodes I watch Atlantis for. It's a great script, although darker than you usually do, but that just makes it one of the best scripts you've done on this series. Strong story and strong characterization... and even though it was dark, it still had fun moments, all three of which were lacking in the last two episodes, imo. You've really allowed Joe Flanigan to show off what he can do this season and he has stepped up admirably. I think this was David Hewlitt's finest moment in everything I've ever seen him in (and I've liked his work ever since Kung Fu days).
I also thought this role allowed Steven Culp to show what a wonderful actor he is and what he can bring to a role, in a way that I haven't seen before. I liked him on Desperate Housewives, West Wing, and JAG, and loved him as Bobby Kennedy, but none of those roles allowed him to show what he's capable of like this one does.
I loved that in the end, you are not quite sure how it actually played out between Steven and Joe's characters, and I loved that Sheppard was unsettled by what he had done, even though it also demonstrates to what lengths he will go to protect his team and his friends. This is the kind of hero I can get behind -- one you know will make the hard choices, but will not sacrifice you easily.
I never vote 'a best ever' category because until you've seen everything, how can you, but for me, this is the best episode I've seen this season, and stands up there with "Sateda" which has been my best episode of the entire series so far.
In terms of personal stuff, I was out on the lines at Warners Brothers today and Shawn Ryan came to fill us in on what was going on and to answer questions. Since the WGA had been honoring the press blackout and not even telling its membership what was going on, even though things were 'leaked' from the other side, the negotiations team decided to all come out to the picket lines today to talk to the membership. It was very interesting. Marc Cherry, Carol Mendelsohn, and Neal Baer were at Universal, and I'm hoping somebody will tell me who was at the other studios.
Oh, one final thought, I really appreciate how much you've been developing Ronon over this season. I know he was mostly eye candy in this one, but you've been doing a great job this season of letting Jason show that he has acting chops as well as charm. For the last two seasons, he's been acting silently in the background and enjoyable to watch whether with Rachel, Joe, or David, but I do like that you've given him scenes this season where he can really shine.
hit enter before i meant to.
any picks for the cfb bowls? Being an ohio state student i have to give it to them in the national championship game. Any views on the other games?
anonymous said:
Even Joe Flanigan has said that the idea of bringing Carter in was to boost ratings. Even he admitted it hasn't worked.
Guys, think about it logically. It's okay to admit that the experiment didn't work and bring back Beckett and Weir fulltime. Let Amanda move on to other things, or do some recurring work.?
I was at the convention that Flanigan made those comments, and like our anonymous friend, I am also quite disturbed by the implications of those comments. If the series' headline star is concerned enough about the behind-the-scenes situation that he feels it necessary to discuss it in public with the fans, then it's clear that something has gone very wrong with the direction the series is headed.
The changes made between Seasons Three and Four may have seemed like a good idea on paper, but now that we're about to head into the mid-season break, it's become painfully obvious that it's just not working in practice. Though I was sad to learn that Beckett and Weir would not be returning as regulars in Season Four, I was still looking forward to seeing more of Keller and to seeing how Carter would fit in as the "outsider" coming into Atlantis.
Unfortunately, I have seen very little to be excited about for both Carter and Keller. Keller hasn't been given any material to really distinguish her from Beckett; she's just...there. And Carter has been written with the same wallflower mediocrity as the worst lows for Weir in the first three seasons, which is a shameful waste of one of SG-1's richest characters. Tapping and Staite are both gifted actresses that deserve much better than this.
I sincerely hope that the situation will improve in the second half. But based on the first half, the undeniable fact is that inconsistant writing, of characters, spot details, and overall storylines, is still a serious problem for the show. I want to be confident for the second half of the season, but even with the outstanding "Miller's Crossing" definitely being the season's best to date by far, I just don't feel it.
Mr. Mallozzi, there's no shame in admitting you and the rest of TPTB made a mistake. And with it so early in the writing process for Season Five, there's still time to fix that mistake. For the sake of your cast, and your fans, please do the right thing.
Have you read the Ender's Series?
Hi Joe,
Question, What have the Atlantis people been feeding their Wraith guest? And how long can the Wraith go between feedings?
"Even Joe Flanigan has said that the idea of bringing Carter in was to boost ratings. Even he admitted it hasn't worked.
Guys, think about it logically. It's okay to admit that the experiment didn't work and bring back Beckett and Weir fulltime. Let Amanda move on to other things, or do some recurring work."
*Even* Joe Flanigan? Wow. I'm impressed. Not.
Hmm. Could it be that SGA is on against first run network shows? Even the much vaunted Eureka dropped to a 1.2 when it was up against network stuff. That was down half a point. SGA didn't drop that much. So....
Perhaps the "experiment" did work. Perhaps the show would be at a .6 if not for the inclusion of the new characters. Considering what happened when Battlestar moved against network first run they knew what would happen. Hence we got S5 even with the drop in ratings.
I'm certainly finding the show more well-rounded character-wise. At least it's not solely the Shep and McKay Hour With Guest Appearances By Others.
I felt that by the end of The Amber Spyglass Pullman had ground the axe down to the handle and then proceeded to smash the reader over the head with it.
That being said, I did enjoy the first two books. The characters were colorful, the imagery was vivid, and the story was oddly compelling.
If you were writing the Golden Compass, how would you have brought out such revelations?
Aloha and "Hang ten, dude" to Martin. After seeing the pic of him and Stephanie, I have no idea how I'm going to get the green tint of jealousy out of my skin. I'll be sort of like the Lady Macbeth of non-tropical-locale vacationers. (Not that I'd kill to be in Hawaii, or French Polynesia, or any other such place. [Or at least I don't think I would.] Abducting my husband toward that end, however, is an idea that recommends itself to me quite often.)
I noted with interest another commenter's question about whether or not the BOTM club will at some point venture into genres other than sci-fi, fantasy, and horror. Of course, I know that Baron Destructo and/or the majority rules. Just curious. :)
Are you watching "Tin Man" on the SciFi channel this week? I am loving the mini series.
sorry joe, can't participate in this months book of the month-but I'm picking them up to read later. Cheers as always for broadening my literary horizons.
For Lulu!
(To the tune of "Walking in a Winter Wonderland")
Dogs tags ring, are you listenin'?
In the lane, snow is glistenin'.
It's yellow, not white
I've been there tonight,
Marking up my winter wonderland.
Smell that tree? That's my fragrance.
It's a sign for wand'ring vagrants;
"Avoid where I pee, it's my property!
Marked up as my winter wonderland."
In the meadow dad will build a snowman,
Following the classical design.
Then I'll lift my leg and let it go Man,
So all the world will know that it is mine, mine, mine!
Straight from me to the fence post,
Flows my naturally incense boast;
"Stay off my turf, this small piece of earth,
I mark it as my winter wonderland."
Anonymous said Sadly, the people making the decision don't see the forest for the trees when it comes to the popularity of the characters. This season's ratings, which have been dismal, should give some indication of how popular the newcomers are.
**********************************
dude, two points.
a: only people without the courage of their convictions post anonymously.
b: you want to try winding your opinionated neck in. you are only privy to SOME facts and to make assumptions regarding someone elses creation and work is arrogant to say the least. Still you know what htey say: those who can do those who can't criticise.
Lt.Col.Errandboy said...
You know you're quite amazing? How do you keep up such a writing schedule AND find time to blog every day AND answer people's questions? Did you clone yourself at some stage?
That bits easy. Joe controls time.
This might a question better suited for the people of Blogger/Blogspot, but why has it been insisting I download the pictures if I want to see them?
Joseph Stalin said...how bout weir and beckett full time in season 5 with some guest appearances by carter and keller?
How about firing the cast and replacing them with your dogs? Not only could you put them in adorable tiny sga uniforms but you could pay them in pigs ears! And if they wanted a raise you could hit them on the nose with a newspaper, something human actors get unnecessarily cranky about.
Have you thought about bringing back Ford, Weir and Beckett for Season Five? You could do huge promos just looking at these characters, do a massive build up, 24/7 adds, have everything focused around this, and then five minutes into the first episode kill them all off. Fandom would implode and I would roast marshmallows on the ashes. Poor fandom.
And because this hasn't been mentioned in at least five entries: New Zealand! Scotland or NZ, the most name dropped countries in your blog. We're a needy people. There's probably a sheep joke in there somewhere.
Hey Joe!
Sorry I haven't been dropping by lately. Finals are the pits, you know? And I'm right in the middle of it...the middle of the pit, yeah.
However, I did finally find time to watch "Miller's Crossing", and wow...that ending...that banter! All very well done, and here again is my long-winded review: Link
Give it a read if you have time. Can't wait for TMC, nor your dissection of it!
Why would Atlantis trap everybody?
McKay can get past the doors, similarly how he did in "Hot Zone."
No?
Superior and SuperDuper
Tantalizing and Cool
Artistic and Beautiful
Galactically Awesome
Armed and Dangerous
TTerrifically Engaging
Extravagantly Brilliantateous
Don't get me started on Atlantis!!!
Hi Joe!!
Just wondering if you will be giving us another poem this year for s5 spoilers? It was load of fun last year. :)
Oh by the way I am loving all the Sheppy whump and angst this year!! Keep it up!
Joe, will we find out how many Hive ships( and Ancient's warships) were in the PG during Ancient/Wraith war?
hey joe,
im a first time blogger and im a giant stargate fan and i was wondering are u excepting ideas for stargate universe?
anonymous said...
Guys, think about it logically. It's okay to admit that the experiment didn't work and bring back Beckett and Weir fulltime.
With respect, this is your opinion. And you're fully entitled to it. But it doesn't make it fact. Just because you feel the show is not as good without Beckett and Weir doesn't make that true, doesn't make that the sole factor deciding ratings, doesn't mean everything would be wonderful if they were brought back. Fandom is an incredibly diverse place - for every fan who adores Weir and wants her back, there'll be another who hates Weir, another who likes her but prefers Carter, another who hates Weir and Carter and would like to see Lorne in command, etc etc etc ad infinitum. You can't possibly please all of the people all of the time.
It's a shame that you personally haven't enjoyed the changes made to the cast... but please don't try and suggest that TPTB are ignoring the obvious just because they don't share your opinion.
I reckon it's high time Atlantis got a Starbucks. Thoughts?
I'll probably get beaten with a stick for saying it but I have to admit that I didn't like the Harry Potter books much. I enjoyed the first one but the others just seemed so overly wordy. I started reading the last one just recently but got bored after the first few chapters and still haven't completed it, so I will never know who died. Still there is always the movie.
Hi! Um, can you answer doodleydog's question please? I'm very interested in the answer. That's the question regarding episodes and how you flex the schedules with episodic timeline events and character development. Thank you!
P.S. My opinionated and extreme truth telling nineteen-year-old autistic son says Ronon is just 'cool'.
Any chance of getting Colin Cunningham on Atlantis? Not necessarily as Major Davis, but he could be cleverly disguised.
cheers, chevron7
p.s. I know what you mean about junior fiction. Give the reader some credit. They can figure things out for themselves.
The next time you harass Martin while on his vacation, please share how jealous we all are of him!
And, in my opinion, you are spot on about the next books in the His Dark Materials series. I found the first book intriguing enough to try the others. Was sorely disappointed at how they seemed to degenerate into preachiness. (Ironically, I interpreted the preaching as overly-heavy Christian allegory, rather than atheism. Shows how little I know!)
Stay safe in the crazy weather!
Reading this blog is warping my dreaming mind. I usually never dream about TV characters, but there was Rodney in my dreams, being sweet about my Liberal Arts education and my job doing meta-analysis of the Atlantean culture. "At least that's better than your last job as cook." Thanks, McKay. Only I could see the replicators had infiltrated the city, and that they were actually the aliens from V!!! No, wait, it gets better ... shower scene ala Starship Troopers with the hot female V-plicators. Showers?! Thanks people, the DJ Haremites will never speak to me again. And I just admitted I've seen StarshipTroopers. And V! Shoot me now please, I may never sleep again. At least there were no whales.
Ive been reading Roald Dahl lately. My friend loaned me a number of his adult books. Mostly about his own life in the war with hitler but also about his womanising uncle oswald. Although i do think these books a good i do prefer his fictional short stories especially the story of henry sugar. A great story from Roald's adult literature!
Hi Joe
Watched Miller's Crossing last night and was VERY impressed with the darker tone of that episode. I liked that Joe "presented" a way for Wallace to redeem himself.
I also laughed at the scene with Garry and Jason. I'm not sure if that scene was nessary but I enjoyed it. What was the reasoning behind keeping that scene?
Hello,
I seems like you are a little envious of Marty G being in his warm, happy place, and you are in snow-covered Vancouver. But, take comfort in the fact that you have four dogs (I miss my pup), and get to eat in wonderful restaurants, like Fuel. Those of us who read your blog are envious of you on a daily basis!
--p
I'm so jealous of Martin G. spending time in Hawaii. It looks so beautiful and cozy there. I love winter, but would love to walk the rich soil of Hawaii someday, too. Aaah!
A word about the show...I love Weir and would love to have her back...but I have been pleasantly surprised by Amanda Tapping's performance on Atlantis. I started out as a huge fan of SG-1, so am familiar with the Carter character. I am enjoying her leadership style.
Joe, have you ever thought about putting down Baron Destructo's story down on paper, as a book or comic series? Sounds like the League would make for some highly entertaining reading!
It has come to my attention while reading the comments on this blog that there are some concerns in fandom that need addressing.
Firstly, the fear that in the Ark of Truth the fish in Jack's pond will disappear. This is an understandable fear and must *not* be allowed to happen. Therefore I have set up a new website for The Save Jack's Fish Campaign:
www.save_oneills_fish.com
Secondly, the idea that Sheppard will have an operation to alter his elf ears. Again, another understandable fear that must *not* be allowed to happen, and so I have also set up a website for The Save John's Elvin Ears Campaign:
www.save_sheppards_ears.com
As you can imagine, running two websites plus advertising the campaigns cost money and to that extent I would ask you to send donations for the sites via PayPal to the following email address:
ThisIsNotAScamHonest@hotmail.com
Thank you - together we can get save the Fish and the Ears.
"Please say Beckett and Weir are back in season 5, and you guys are finally going to admit Keller and Carter just aren't working."
Carter would be okay as recurring, but she isn't doing anything different from what Weir did, so I really don't get the change. Keller has to go completely. What an irritating and useless character.
A little late with my opinion as I've been sick in bed for two days!
Miller's Crossing was a great episode. I must admit going in, that it reminded me of SG-1 Season 5's "Desperate Measures", but that feeling quickly faded as the story unfolded.
The fact that Rodney was willing to give himself to "Bob the Wraith" to save Jeannie was a real development for the self-centered McKay. (I love the Rodney/Jeannie relationship, btw.)
When Sheppard presented Wallace with the opportunity for redemption, it was a very polarizing situation, and a great finish to the episode.
Let's not forget that just before Wallace's daughter came back from the dead as the nanites repaired her heart, Wallace told Jeannie that he "was sorry". Which lead me to believe that he was not going to let McKay and Jeannie off the hook so easily.
Sometimes our heroes have to make the tough decisions. Sometimes not everyone agrees with that decision. But the decision needs to be made, nonetheless. Sheppard showed what he was made of and I liked it.
Almost forgot: A few months ago, you posted a picture of David and Jason eating lunch in the writer's room. Jason was wearing a white buttoned shirt and I couldn't imagine why he would be wearing civvies.
After watching Miller's Crossing, now we know!
I heard a rumor that the Scifi channel might show the "Ark of Truth" before it's released on DVD. Possibly just a week or two before. Could you confirm or deny this Joe?
Also, next time you talk to Rob, please let him know that a lot of fans like myself are really looking forward to this movie.
Thanks so much Joe.
Have you been watching sci-fi's "Tin Man" series? If so, I'm curious to see what you think of it given the SG writing staff's apparent interest in the Wizard of Oz. [I may have posted thsi yesterday by my laptop crashed as I was dong so, apologies if it is a repeat]
Royal
Anonymous said: "Sadly, the people making the decision don't see the forest for the trees when it comes to the popularity of the characters."
From what I've heard/read in interviews, audio commentaries, etc the writers and producers seem to lurk at some fan sites such as Gateworld to read fan's opinions. And I think that's in part the problem. They check websites that have always been dedicated mainly to SG-1. A big chunk of the SGA fandom is at Livejournal and some mailing lists, not at websites such as Gateworld, Stargate Solutions, etc. So TPTB's perception of fandom could be that most of the people watch both shows or only SG-1, and they want SG-1 characters guest starring in Atlantis. If TPTB went to other places such as LJ communities, they'd find a large number of people who have never watched SG-1 and don't care about any of their characters guest starring on Atlantis. They've always watched Atlantis only and it doesn't seem like they are "just a small minority" as some people might perceive by looking at websites such as Gateworld.
Any plans for having Weir in season 5?
Appropos of nothing in particular, I just wanted to congratulate everyone on season four so far. It's been incredible - I love the character development, the shades of gray that are being explored (especially Sheppard in Miller's Crossing) and the complex team dynamic. I was one of the people who fretted over Carter coming over to SGA, but her storylines have been great, her intergration deftly handled, and I love Keller. You hear a lot of complaints - and any show that's loved as thoroughly and well by its fan base as SGA is going to wade through that, since we're all nit-pickers extraordinaire - but I'm not sure you all (cast, writers, crew) hear thanks in equal proportion. So thanks - I love season four with a passion.
Bonjour Joseph,
Il ne neige pas !!! J'ai un peu de difficulté à y croire. Juste un petit moi pour te remercier du temps que tu mets pour écrire ton blog et nous répondre, c'est vraiment très apprécié et reflète une grande générosité de ta part.
Bonne journée sous la pluie (?)
Heee! Took a closer look at Martin's (jealousy-inducing) holiday snap and realised that his Hawaiian pal's hand gesture looked familiar... from every single photo Jason Momoa posed for at the Collectormania con the other weekend! :D
I'm sure someone said it means something specific in Hawaiian..?
I was under the impression that you were used to blizzards in Vancouver.
I mean, you're in CANADA for goodness sakes, and as anyone in Africa would say (if asked) it snows in Canada.
Are we wrong?
BTW, I last saw snow in Johannesburg in 1979.
It lasted one whole day!! :)
There's a review of Miller's Crossing online where the author mentions that he/she ran into Torri Higginson in LA recently, asked her if she would be back on SGA in season five, and she "sadly said no".
I guess that seals it then. She's not back ever? Weir's gone to Fordville, has she?
I know you keep saying the decision to dump Weir had to be made, and that you're happy/proud/whatever of getting rid of her, but why? You've never said why you felt the need to get rid of this character. The fact that you won't just implies that it's a personal issue where you just don't like Torri.
Many people (not all, so don't start bitching, everyone) are noticing that there's something lacking this season. Why do you think ratings are so low? Even 'casual viewers', who you seem to think are so much more important than the more obsessive viewers, just can't be bothered watching live. That has to tell you something when people would be on the edge of their seats waiting for live episodes last year.
Hi Joe,
If readers' comments on your blog are anything to go by, then I would say that s4 is, so far, the best season yet. I, for one, certainly think so.
Not missing Weir one bit. Quite frankly, I think her new character arc is the most interesting thing that has happened to her. It would be nice to see her in a few episodes, but I don't care to see her back full time. I was always put off by her (she was my least favourite), but what you've done to her now has finally made her more interesting; more multifacted, less wooden and bland.
I like both Carter and Keller. I do miss Beckett, though. Overall, I like the changes that you've made. Keep up the good work!
It's interesting to read the almost standard North American reaction to The Dark Materials trilogy in the comments here. The point about the first book especially is it does make a comment about the danger of organised religion gaining too much power in society but it doesn't actually say that religion per se is a bad thing.
It's interesting to me to muse that if he'd made Islam his "target" then most of the USA would be supporting him and regarding him as a hero, because he selected Catholicism he becomes a villain.
Don't get too hung up on the "original sin" tag Joe. There are some fascinating concepts to come in the second and third books. However those of a religeous disposition may wish to skip the last third of book 3 if they can't accept that it's after all simply a work of fiction.
I think the Golden Compass might be anti-organised religion that's not the same as anti-God no matter what church leaders may think. Books 2 and 3 do move the story along better.
HEY JOE!!
how many visits until the big 750 bazillion visit thing????
hopefully this isn't a double post, since google barfed on me...
anyway just wanted to stop by and say I love Stargate and your blog and I hope this is the 750,000 comment!
Hahaha, the picture of Marty G. with the conch just gave me flashbacks of high school english class, and being forced to read Lord of the Flies.
Sucks to your asmar, Gero! (don't eat Piggy!)
Anonymous said...
There's a review of Miller's Crossing online where the author mentions that he/she ran into Torri Higginson in LA recently, asked her if she would be back on SGA in season five, and she "sadly said no".
Oh well, given such a reliable source, it must be true, right?
And obviously the fact that Joe won't tell you the exact details of creative decisions made by the show's writers and what plans they have for the future of the show etc must of course mean that Joe has a personal vendetta against Torri and got rid of her just to be mean.
*sigh*
Anonymous said: "Even 'casual viewers', who you seem to think are so much more important than the more obsessive viewers, just can't be bothered watching live."
As a "casual viewer", I have to say that season 4 has finally made me into a committed viewer. Although I have tried watching previous seasons, they haven't really held me interest, mainly for 2 reasons:
1. Each show that I watched seemed to be the "McKay and Sheppard Show". I do like McKay and Sheppard, but I wanted to see something more team-oriented, much like on SG1.
2. I didn't like Weir. Sorry, but she just wasn't my cup of tea. Didn't like her on SG1, nor on Atlantis.
With the changes that you've made this season (e.g., more character development, seeing more of the other characters, the addition of Carter and Keller), I've found myself looking forward to each new episode. I like Beckett, and would like to see him return, but not at the expense of getting rid of Keller (or Carter).
Another thing that I've noticed and like a lot -- the Canadianisms, such as references to "Coles notes" (love that!) and CSIS. Thank you.
Jono said...
I reckon it's high time Atlantis got a Starbucks. Thoughts?
If they got a Starbucks, then McKay will want a Tim Burtons (and be most vocal about it too!), and then what about the other nationalites and their preferences?
You could see how it might descend into chaos...!!!
Hmm, what about a pub?
You're obviously a big reader (where do you find all the time??) and obviously enjoy science-fiction. Are you also a movie buff? Which sci-fi movies are your favorites? Is there a particular sci-fi book that you would love to see made as a movie?
*waves*
Charles Schneider writes: “Will you guys get any kind of break after the mid-season finale?”
Answer: The writers never get a break.
Is that literally or figuratively? Are you feeling a lil bit grumpy these days, Joe? You know being bitter doesn't really suit you! You need to plot something equally annoying to get Mr G back for having a good time when you're not. Any plans on the horizon?
*big huggles*
catling said:
"Unfortunately, I have seen very little to be excited about for both Carter and Keller. Keller hasn't been given any material to really distinguish her from Beckett; she's just...there. And Carter has been written with the same wallflower mediocrity as the worst lows for Weir in the first three seasons, which is a shameful waste of one of SG-1's richest characters. Tapping and Staite are both gifted actresses that deserve much better than this."
I have to agree. I was and continue to be a fan of SG1, but I was very wary of the Carter character moving to Atlantis. And this is the reason why. Many people seem to have had reservations about this, and not just fans. Be Joe Flannigan, Brad Wright, and even Amanda Tapping herself, all of them seem to have been extremely worried about such a stunt. In fact, it seems that you, Joe, and Scifi were the ones who pushed so hard for Tapping to be held to her contract. And before you go trying to sarcastically retort by saying that you didn't force Ms. Tapping to work, just save it. We get that. But it does sound like there was quite a bit of emotional blackmail going on there. From everyone's, including your own, description of the story, it seems that Stargate, the franchise, came and knocked on Tapping's door and begged her to stay on. Now, it's indisputable that both Stargate and Tapping owe a lot to each other. And dare I say it, but Tapping, Shanks, and Judge would probably do anything for the franchise. But that doesn't mean that the franchise should keep asking them to do things to bail it out, especially when they're going to be so controversial. You all have been riding this wave of success for ten years. Atlantis, so far, has survived only by the grace of SG1 and it's principle players. To keep haranguing Tapping, Shanks, and Judge to save Atlantis in seasons four and five is just pathetic. Let them enjoy the SG1 movies that they've earned. Let them enjoy the fans and success. Even expect them to help out once in a while. But don't keep throwing them on the sinking ship that is Atlantis. It's a failed creative endeavor that has only been successful because of the Stargate name. The Carter, Teal'c, and Daniel characters deserve better than to be foisted upon something as creatively defunct as that. Let those characters live on gracefully, will ya?
I remember you said before that you would only do romantic relationships if they're developed a over long time. Yet you have two things that are supposed to be romantic in this season of Atlantis, i.e. Teyla/Father of her baby and Sheppard/Larrin; and these are supposed to become romantic in such a short amount of time.
One of them has little to no on-screen development, in fact we haven't even seen the father and the other is just a stupid sexual thing and is supposed to be in three episodes, yet 2 of them is just stupid sexual innuendo and physical attraction and nothing more. Why have you gone against what you said?
Hi Joe,
Just wanted to take a moment to let you know that I'm REALLY enjoying this season of Atlantis.
And thanks for all the pictures of Marty G- I have a huge crush on him. :D
Season 4 is keeps getting better and better! Miller's Crossing was my favorite by far and is in my top five SG:A eps of all time. Just an awesome bit of story telling there! The plot keep me on my toes and the pacing was just excellent. And of course, the acting was great, too, but that was a hella good ep. :)
Just wanted to say how much I've been enjoying season 4, most especially Miller's Crossing. Looking forward to seeing many more episodes.
Hi there!
I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed season 4 so far. I loved the other seasons, too, don't get me wrong, but there wasn't a single episode I didn't like this year.
A big 'THANK YOU' to you, the cast, and the crew.
Nicole
I rarely speak up on public forums but I felt compelled to address the opinion that Season 4 has been "lacking." I could not disagree more with that opinion. I think Season 4 has been the strongest season yet, and each episode of S4 has been even better than the last. So far in Season 4 we've had thought-provoking stories, exciting action sequences, and (my personal favorite of all) some incredible character growth. The bottom line for me is, I've always loved watching Atlantis, but these days I actually have a hard time waiting until Friday.
Keep doing what you're doing, Joe. There are many, many of us out here who appreciate every single minute of it.
I read your blog consistently, but I've never actually taken the time to comment. You have my apologies for my lack of proper appreciation. For some reason I always feel incredibly inarticulate leaving comments. However, I wanted to say thank you. I think it's wonderful that you take the time to keep in contact with the fans, and I delight in all the pictures and videos you post.
SGA is one of the few shows where I'm completely enamored with not just the characters, but the cast, crew, writers and producers. Season four so far has been breathtaking, and you should all be incredibly proud. So, thank you, again.
'because he selected Catholicism he becomes a villain.'
I think a lot of people are reading it as Christianity as a whole. (I'm Catholic and I liked the first two books.) I've been getting the 'warning e-mails' from my Protestant friends. Even the US Conference of Catholic Bishops are fine with it. This quote from Harry Forbes- their director:
"Most moviegoers with no foreknowledge of the books or Pullman's personal belief system will scarcely be aware of religious connotations, and can approach the movie as a pure fantasy-adventure. . . . Religious elements, as such, are practically nil."
Don't mistake the Catholic League with the actual Church. Regardless of their self-given title, they have no endorsement by the Pope unlike the Conference of Catholic Bishops, who are, you know, Bishops, and the official leadership body for the Catholic Church in the US.
Anonymous said...
reathke said...
''I hope Carter and Keller will be in season 5 with some appearances of Weir and Beckett''
how bout weir and beckett full time in season 5 with some guest appearances by carter and keller?
Like Mitchell said : Well...to each their own.
Anonymous said...
...the other is just a stupid sexual thing and is supposed to be in three episodes, yet 2 of them is just stupid sexual innuendo and physical attraction and nothing more. Why have you gone against what you said?
Do you know something the rest of us don't? Only one episode with Larrin in has aired yet... unless you are privy to some sooper-sekrit inside info about episodes to come.. in which case, spill! :D
I disagree with people who think this season has lost something by bringing in new characters.
In case they forgot - which,to be fair, can happen when you get so worked up that steam interferes with your synaptic activity - both Beckett and Weir are *in* this season, as part of some of the most interesting story arcs of the season ... which they would never have gotten if they went about their everyday roles.
What I like about these developments, more than anything, is how *real* they are. Whether you like ti or not, people die. And not just the insignificant background characters in your life, but those important to you and others.
If they pulled a 'Star Trek' nd kept all the main characters alive, it would ruin the notion that Atlantis is a dangerous place to be.
I appreciate how difficult it must be for people, but things - and people - have to move on.
This season is turning out to be the best yet, what with the increasing character developments and interaction which people were asking for the pervious seasons, and I look forward to seeing more.
Just remember, kids, that these characters you love and miss and complain about? Were created by the writers. You should thank them for being talented enough to make you care.
Facebook pictures can be the bane of my existance, but they sure are entertaining! Boy would I like to be in Hawaii.
What's your dream vacation?
Joe,
Just wanted to pop in and tell you how much I've been enjoying this season in particular. I've been a fan since s2, but this season has completely blown me away. The episodes have gotten tighter, more complex, with much more believable plotting, better character depth, and the level of darkness that's slowly been unfurling has just been enthralling for me.
I know a lot of people complain about Carter and Keller, but I have to say, I'm pleased and surprised at how easily they've integrated and how you're not over or under using them. There's a good balance in how they are and how they'll affect plot/the other characters, which is very difficult to do, particularly with characters that -- lets face it -- have always been as problematic (writing wise) as Weir and Carson. Much as I love those characters and miss them, I've been really very pleased with the way things have balanced between the cast.
Anyway, that was my rambling thank you, because I've always loved Atlantis, but this season? This season has been amazing. I can't wait to see the second half!
Salut Joseph =D <3
Sa va bien?? MOi sa va, j'ai beaucoup de travail, surtout qu'aujourd'hui j'ai appris que les BEP blanc auront Lieu dans 2 semaine, glurp, il n'aurais pas pu nous prévenir avant!!
Sinon ici je suis agréablement surprise des températures!! 13 le matin et 17 l'aprés midi, j'ai méme eu chaud!!!
Ohh lalal quesque je rêverais de vous entendre parler francais!!
Franchement je serais si heureuse^^! avec l'accent sa doit être trop mignon^^!
Je vous envoit un gros gros bisou qui traversera l'océan, les tempétes de neige, la pluit, le vent de la planet pour arriver jusqu'a vous!!
JE VOUS LOVE, a demain, Merci
Hi!
I just wanted to say that I enjoyed season 4 so far. In fact I like it better than season 3 so far. I think Carter and Keller've been integrated well and I really like the team's interaction. Kudos to the writers, the crew and the actors. Thank you for a very enjoyable show!
Beatrice
Just wanted to stop by and actually tell you that this season rocks, and not just endless chatter to my friends who already know how much I enjoy watching this show.
Miller's Crossing is a new favourite. One of the reasons why is because I loved what you did with the moral ambiguity of John. Also, thank goodness I can buy the seasons online so I won't have to wait for Sweden to catch up :P
Hi Joe,
I'm a little late with this, but as I was away for the weekend I only got to watch Miller's Crossing just now, and I just wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed this episode. Especially the last ten minutes.
What Sheppard did certainly was controversial, but it has shown us once again how far he will go for the members of his team/family. I suppose he did it partly for selfish reasons as he didn't want to lose McKay, but then he could've just let Jeannie die and not gone through the trouble of finding an alternative.
This season has given us some wonderful character moments so far, and the scene between Sheppard and McKay at the end of this episode has earned its place as one of my favourite friendship moments on the show.
I really love how this ep is another illustration of Sheppard's: "I'd do anything, for any one of you" from Sateda. This has shown us that he's willing to sacrifice even his own morals for the people he cares about.
I hope one day we'll get to see how far Ronon, Teyla and McKay would really go for Sheppard. Will something like that come up in season 4? Or maybe plans for it in season 5?
Looking forward to TMC this weekend!
Jenn
*waves*
Only me again. You know I mentioned a campaign for Save Our Shep a while ago? :P Well, it looks like my spidey sense was right on the mark. ;)What can I say, I'm never wrong. :o)
*giggles*
SaveOurShep
Hey Joe
Just wanted to add my voice to those who are really enjoying season 4. The exploration of character is the thing that keeps bringing me back. Thanks to you, the writers, the producers, the crew, the cast. Best of luck for the rest of the season.
Just poking my head in to say that I adore season 4. It consistently makes me happy and too hyper to sleep (damnit).
Just you know, a bit of unsolicited thanks. So. Thanks!
I'll submit that Sheppard's actions at the end of Miller's Crossing where, while morally dubious, a tactical necessity while at the same time hammering home the team = family theme. Intentional or not. *G*
Just a random comment to say: loving S4, & how amazing that we know already that there'll be a S5? Awesome. :) Thanks for making the show, guys!
*Even Joe Flanigan has said that the idea of bringing Carter in was to boost ratings. Even he admitted it hasn't worked
I think carter should stay, removing her would do more harm then good, Atlantis already lost a leader after 4 years, it doesn't need 3 leaders in 5 years
2 is enough
Oh and Happy Tuesday Joe!
Hi,
I just wanted to say how much I love this show. I am a new viewer this season, having been roped in by a friend, and even though I'd never watched an episode before "Adrift", I was hooked. I was rather lost as to the plot, naturally, but I was absolutely enthralled by the fantastic characters within the first five minutes. That, to me, is the mark of a truly amazing show: where I can have no idea what's going on with the plot, but fall in love with the show anyway because of the characters.
I was able to catch up on the general plot within the first three episodes, and now I'm enjoying catching up with previous seasons between bouts of grad school work, and this show is just so wonderful. Yeah, there's a few low points, but on the whole, it's been a long time since I looked forward to new episodes of a show with such giddy anticipation.
So thank you to everyone involved in the making of this show. :)
~Laura
Hey Joe,
I am a UK viewer and a teeny bit behind on my viewing of S4. What I have seen so far, I have thoroughly enjoyed.
Carter has always been my least favourite of the SG1 characters but I am enjoying watching the character in an unfamiliar setting. I don't think it's working all the time, but I don't suppose a real-life change of command ever runs completely smoothly either.
I miss Beckett's presence because I liked the actor, not necessarily the character. Some of the things you had Beckett doing in the earlier seasons didn't gel with the compassionate doctor you wrote him as.
I don't miss Weir as much because - again, while I like the actress portraying the character - I didn't always see that Weir had a great deal to do in any given season. She was given a few good moments each season but never enough to hook me to liking her enough to want to keep her. I do like the story arc that is taking her out of the show. It's finally given the actress something to sink her teeth in to.
Keller is a refreshing change of pace. I wouldn't say that the character has settled completely yet (just like Carter) but I find myself more inclined to believe this character to be earnestly compassionate. (Sorry if I am not explaining myself too well).
I have thoroughly enjoyed all four of the main cast members so far this season. They've not all had a lot to do every episode, but what they have done they have done extremely well.
As a unit, the four-some is the most believable it has been for some while.
I look forward to seeing what the creative team have come up with for the rest of Season Four and I look forward to Season Five.
Thanks,
Lou
Hello! I've never responded to any of your posts before, although I do enjoy reading them. I just wanted to stop in and say how that I am enjoying season four of Atlantis so very, very much. Week after week I'm continuously pleased by the growth in characters both old and new and could not be more delighted. I live for those wonderful team moments.
I look forward to the rest of the season, as well as five when it comes around. Thank you!
Just wanted to say that I'm loving Season 4! Keep up the good work!
A few people have said it before, but I just wanted to put in my two cents. I adore SG:A, and I adore Season Four most of all. It's fantastic. It's the show I always wanted it to be, for real. The interactions between the team, the plots, the long-term planning which is so evident, the consistently excellent work from the actors, all these things point to the show really hitting its stride, and I know that a lot of fans are thrilled.
I think you tend to hear a lot of negativity here, because people with a bone to pick are gonna take the trouble to come here, whereas happy fans are just bopping along, being happy. But the happy fans exist, and we're really, really happy. :)
Am I the only one who has noticed that all the people dissing season 4 are STILL WATCHING it? Is that weird, sad, or just plain proof that they don't hate the show as much as they want us to think they do? Hmmm... something to ponder.
How are things going for Carl down in LA? Has he reported back in with any good strike stories?
Anonymous said: "...the sinking ship that is Atlantis. It's a failed creative endeavor that has only been successful because of the Stargate name."
*cough* According to this interview, MGM did better with Atlantis than with SG-1 *cough*
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6378931.html
(check the last question)
And this was before s4, so it seems the show did well on its own. Thank you. If it's all just because of your beloved SG-1, how do you explain that Atlantis did BETTER than SG-1 (at least in the international market, it seems. It might be the other way around in the US market)
Hi, I'm from Brazil and I love your job ! Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis are divine ! I just miss Rick. I think O'Neill is very important for both and his presence brings fun... Joe, I don't know if that was asked before... But is there any chance Rick in SA fifth season ?
Thank you for Season 4! Keep up the excellent story telling in Season 5 and beyond! :)
Thank you so much for a great episode last Friday! I got into SGA right between the seasons three and four breaks, and each week it's really been a joy to watch, especially the evolving Sheppard/McKay friendship and character growth for Teyla, and I'm loving Sam/Amanda, so really, well done. Please keep them coming!
I know that you have been getting a little bit of grief from random groups of your fans, and I have to admit that I have not liked a few things done to the show but you know what?
I love your (in the collective you) show. I think it is well thought out, well executed and well written. I love the characters, I love the actors, I'm pretty sure I even love all the crew. (Martin Gero is my Hero) I can see the love you all have for your show and it just makes me love it more. Season Four (as of yet) has been the best season yet and how many shows can say that?
Don't listen to the critics, don't listen to the ney-sayers. Listen to yourselves, you have been doing a pretty great job.
(Though, gotta admit, Keep Keller... Jewel Staite makes me so very very happy.)
Joe, this is a bit late, but I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed Miller's Crossing. The shades of gray were unexpected and has prompted a lot of discussion. And that's what a good episode should do, live on after the hour's showing and make us think.
The performances by Joe Flanigan and David Hewlett were really outstanding in this episode. I think this year has been great for Joe. It's like the directors have finally figured out how to film him or something because it's not just the stories. It's the intensity of the close ups that really get me. I remember back in the first season episode "Home" when Sheppard closed the door to his apartment and watched his dead friends party, well that's when I saw what a great actor he is.
And can David Hewlett look any closer to tears without actually shedding them? Wow. Also, I always find it remarkable how realistic he looks when Rodney's unconscious (and that happens way too often, what about those genius brain cells?), which is a funny kind of compliment. A lot of actors have that slight bit of tension that gives them away but David looks utterly gone.
Kate Hewlett definitely needs to come back in season 5. Loved her performance. And Steve Culp was a riveting guest star.
I hope the rest of the season continues to be as good.
BTW, after I watched the episode, I wondered if the title "Miller's Crossing" was actually supposed to mean something? Like maybe what would happen when crossing that thin line that isn't so solid after all.
Jenny said...
"30 Nov marked the birth (completion really) of a 50K+ word Stargate Atlantis story."
Oooh...have you posted it? If so, may I have a link please, pretty please??? *begging like a puppy*
Jenny said... "Hope you're enjoying the snow! I saw a couple of flakes here the other day!"
Hehehe....ok...you can take that two ways. Are you talking of the snow variety or the kind that show up on Joe's blog? LOL ;~)
Enquisitively,
Kimberly
I live in BC and pay for digital cable but I can't watch this season's SGA unless I torrent it. I could wait until next year in hopes that Space channel will carry it, but I'm not that patient. What's your opinion about this "illegal" act? Do you torrent?
This season has been the best so far - can't wait to buy the DVD to watch the commentaries. Keep up the good work.
Hi Joe!
Just wanted to de-lurk for a moment to say that I'm loving season 4 so far and I can't wait to see what the second half has in store for us.
I'm enjoying the new characters and story lines and I'm actually somewhat surprised at how little I miss Weir and Beckett. So good job on that ;)
So thank you for a great season and good luck with writing season 5.
-Vera (Iceland)
PS. I also want to thank you for hiring Jewel Staite! I've had a crush on her for years so it's very nice to get a weekly dosage of her through my favourite show :)
First off, I'm really impressed with 4th season so far -- great work!!
Second, could you explain the chain of command to me as it is now? It was Sheppard as CO and Lorne as XO, but has Carter's presence knocked everyone down a notch? Sheppard used to be able to override Weir in military matters, but since Carter outranks him, I would think that's no longer possible. I realize Carter has been very cool about accepting guidance from the original Lanteans, but what does the SGC consider to be the Atlantis chain of command?
A couple of posts late and a dollar short, but I wanted to add to those saying how much I loved "Miller's Crossing" - and the fourth season as a whole. Every episode has had a thrilling, fast-paced plot or fascinating character development - sometimes both. It's just been fantastic across the board.
Also, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with us on this blog - indeed, thanks to everyone involved in production, cast AND crew, for being so open and willing to engage with the viewers. It just makes the experience of watching the show that much more fun, when you know at least some of what's gone into creating it.
Great job this season - I can't wait to see the rest of it!
Lady Dulcinea said... "Golden Compass....Google it and I'm sure you will find the author giving his intentions (re: C.S. Lewis and Narnia). I'm not going to go into MY opinion on the subject, but I'd put a check in the "axe to grind" column."
I thought so too. I just wish he hadn't used a children's book to grind that particular axe. The movie is supposed to be watered down from the book with many of those issues taken out, but still it leads to the kids wanting to read the books which do espouse those ideas. So parents check things out and see if you are kosher with the author's views before you let your kids watch the movie.
Kimberly
hi^^
I'm from germany...so please excuse my bad english^^
but i've got a little question: can you recommend me some sights in vancouver? (I'm gonna make a presentation about vancouver in my english lessons^^)
Thanks in advance! :D
Hi there! I'm from Japan and just wanted to say that I'm loving S4 so far. There are a lot of balls up in the air, problems or mysteries to be resolved, and I'm very much looking forward to finding out what happens. I'm especially happy to have a Wraith regular (and I notice that Sheppard hasn't given this one a name yet, the way he usually does! No 'Tom', or 'Wally', or 'Dilbert'--which gives me hope that this may be the first Wraith to tell us its Wraith name?!?!)
Anyway! Just to say thanks! love and kisses from Japan
Hi! I'm a first-time visitor. A friend told me that if I've been enjoying the fourth season of Atlantis, I should come over here and say so. And I have, immensely. So thank you!
And I noticed in the December 2 post that you'll be discussing The Time Traveler's Wife, which happens to be my absolute favorite book (er, favorite grown-up book, anyway; my favorite kids' book is A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle). And speaking of books, your remarks about The Golden Compass are interesting, and something I've never considered. Of course, I was twelve the first time I read it (and its sequels), so that colored my reading considerably. Anyway, I'll be interested in what you have to say about The Time Traveler's Wife, especially in light of your Golden Compass remarks.
Since I've shared my favorite book with you, what are your favorites (children's and/or "grown-up")?
Hey Joe! I've been reading your blog for a while now and I just wanted to let you know that I give you a lot of credit for taking the time to let us all know what's going on and responding to our questions. Once my school work lets up, I hope I can get in on the books of the month. I haven't read much horror or sci-fi, so I'm depending on this blog to find me some good ones :)
I started watching SGA last fall and it's quickly become the show I look forward to most every week. Season 4 has been wonderful so far (the end of Miller's Crossing was fantastic)...I can't wait to see what's coming next. Just wanted to say thanks to you and everyone who works on SGA for giving us all such a great show. Have a nice day!
-Jackie
Just adding my voice to the posts here giving their approval of season 4.
I like the cast changes, and LOVE the direction of the show. It simply has been the best so far of the previous seasons as far as I'm concerned.
I had slight doubts before season 4 aired, I won't deny. After all, I hadn't seen the changes with my own eyes, and as they say, the proof in the pudding is in the eating...
I was, however, prior to season 4 airing, both hopeful and optimistic that I'd embrace the changes and would love the creative choices being made, and my faith has indeed paid off for me.
Keep up the good work!
Heeey... that backdrop looks a little familiar in that there photo... I wouldn't say the Poly Cultural Center; would you know if that's a place called 'Paradise Cove' Marty is standing in? Er... I know that probably wasn't first on your list of questions to ask him... Sorry, just curious. ^_^' I used to live on Oahu, so I just find it neat when I recognize places I've been in photos.
alipeeps said...
Do you know something the rest of us don't? Only one episode with Larrin in has aired yet... unless you are privy to some sooper-sekrit inside info about episodes to come.. in which case, spill! :D
Well, Joe F. has said that a romance is being written between Sheppard and Larrin, if you've read the Con Reports. So I assume more of it is on the way, unfortunately.
I find it ironic that pre-S4, people were so worried about Carter 'taking over' Atlantis, and now that she hasn't, some fans are complaining she doesn't have enough to do! I'm glad she's taking a low but important profile, personally. A bigger question is whether Amanda will even be back for S5. Brad sure didn't seem certain of it in his recent GW interview!
J said...
I think you tend to hear a lot of negativity here, because people with a bone to pick are gonna take the trouble to come here, whereas happy fans are just bopping along, being happy. But the happy fans exist, and we're really, really happy. :)
Heee. That phrase just conjured up wonderful imagery in my head of smiley, rosy-cheeked, cheerful people all bopping their heads in time, as though to a wonderful tune that only they can hear. :lol:
I think I may be losing the plot slightly... :D
1)Will anyone become despondent at the shape of things to come?
2)Will elevated anxiety and stress only become increasingly explosive as the season presses on?
I'm also loving season 4 - the moral ambiguity, the way the characters are actually *talking* about their mistakes, accepting responsibility, it's just awesome to see.
Thanks so much for being willing to go in new directions with the characters and the show!
Joe,
I couldn't find The Crooked Letter anywhere for under $18.00. It only seems to be selling in the hardcover edition online. That's too pricey to buy so I will see if my library has one to borrow. If not, I guess I won't be reading that one. :~(
I did order the other 3 from Amazon.com. They have a buy 3 get one free deal on some of their books. The Princess Bride and Ghost Story both qualify for it. (not Time Traveler's Wife though). So I found 2 other books I liked and ordered them and got one free. You get the least expensive one free so make sure to order books that cost about the same to get the most money. Also, if you order $25 worth of books it's free shipping on books that qualify.(Got to make sure they qualify..lol)
Anyway...hope that helps anyone looking for the books.
Kimberly
"In case they forgot - which,to be fair, can happen when you get so worked up that steam interferes with your synaptic activity - both Beckett and Weir are *in* this season, as part of some of the most interesting story arcs of the season ... which they would never have gotten if they went about their everyday roles."
You're implying that the only way Weir and Beckett could get interesting story arcs is by demoting them to guest stars or killing them. What a sad statement!
Can you tell us yet when you'll be attending the 'special screening' for AOT? Will Michael, Amanda and Chris be attending too? Could you take pics for us and post?
Lt.Col.Errandboy said...
"How do you keep up such a writing schedule AND find time to blog every day AND answer people's questions? "
And have time to read ALL those books, go out to eat all the time, spend time with your dogs, clean up their messes and have time for your lovely Fondy?
;~)
Kimberly
Annie said...
For Lulu!
"Then I'll lift my leg and let it go Man,
So all the world will know that it is mine, mine, mine!"
I absolutely loved your new lyrics! Um...the only thing...isn't Lulu a girl dog? Females don't lift their legs to pee and I don't think they mark their territory(not sure though). But thanks for the funny song...made a real Kodak moment with the snowman and yellow snow! lol
Kimberly
Yet another anonymous said:
"*cough* According to this interview, MGM did better with Atlantis than with SG-1 *cough*
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6378931.html
(check the last question)
And this was before s4, so it seems the show did well on its own. Thank you. If it's all just because of your beloved SG-1, how do you explain that Atlantis did BETTER than SG-1 (at least in the international market, it seems. It might be the other way around in the US market)"
If I may, you're taking one quote out of context and perhaps misunderstanding the situation as well. SGA naturally did better than SG1, purely because of the market SG1 created. Because of SG1's success, longevity, and franchise name, MGM is able to automatically fetch a higher price for SGA. It's able to sell SGA to into more markets solely because of the penetration SG1 had made for years. MGM is able to present SGA and say, look, we know already that X amount of people will be watching this. MGM is bargaining from a much stronger position, especially when they can present SG1 and SGA as a package. They can fetch more by selling two hours of guaranteed ratings than by selling one hour of risk.
Sure, that article says that MGM maybe fetched more internationally for SGA distribution than for SG1, but it doesn't bother telling you why. The why is because of SG1. It's the whole point of franchising.
Michael Brigot
Hi Joe,
I've noticed some people would be happy if Vala/Claudia disappeared from future Stargate SG-1 adventures, so they wish she stayed with Tomin at the end of TAoT. Could you confirm or deny that Tomin crap definitely ends in TAoT, Vala stays with SG-1 and we'll see Claudia in the potential future SG-1 movies after "Continuum", of course if Claudia is interested in continuing playing Vala.
Well, in our hearts, you’re a winner, Lou. Also, I notice Fast Forward 1: Future Fiction from the Cutting Edge, edited by Lou Anders, sitting on my bookshelf. A future scifi book of the month club nominee perhaps? An SF anthology would be a nice change of pace.
Thanks muchly. And naturally I'd love to see that happen. There is, of course, a Fast Forward 2 in the works, so if FF1 misses being book of the month, maybe we could persuade Jill to run a similar contest...
Hi Joe, just wanted to stop by and finally say thank you for the awesomeness that has been season 4 so far. It's been by far the best and I'm looking forward to the rest of it, as well as season 5. You writers bring great stuff to the fans and perhaps don't get enough thanks. <3
I see there are a lot more comments than normal on this blog. It wouldn't have anything to do with a "reward" for the 750k post now would it? (That is one reason I am posting. :))
There sure seems to be a lot of people who are enjoying this season so far and my opinion is that is the best season of SGA so far.
Having said that though, I still think there are problems with continuity issues and creative decisions that are made to appeal to a certain demographic rather than to write the best stories possible. Maybe it is a directive from above to the showrunners, but it certainly hampers the stories to me sometimes. I'm not sure if it is due to the collective way the episodes are assembled and written or the level of the writers talent. While being a show that is sometimes excellent, the overall average of the episodes is just average to me. I don't think SGA will ever be among the "best" Sci-Fi shows in history, but it is the best one on TV right now. As a Sci-Fi fan, I hope it continues until a better show is created.
Bring back Carson perminently!!!
Anonymous said...
Well, Joe F. has said that a romance is being written between Sheppard and Larrin, if you've read the Con Reports. So I assume more of it is on the way, unfortunately.
Ahh but you didn't say anything about Joe stating that a romance was being written between Larrin and Sheppard and you didn't say anything about assuming that more was on the way. What you said was, and I quote, "the other is just a stupid sexual thing and is supposed to be in three episodes, yet 2 of them is just stupid sexual innuendo and physical attraction and nothing more."
You are of course entitled to your opinions of the events of Travelers.. I'm just intrigued to know how you can state as fact that a further episode featuring Larrin consists of "just stupid sexual innuendo and physical attraction and nothing more" when you've not actually seen it. :)
You know what? I just thought I'd stop by and let you know that I am loving season 4. Like, really a lot, and I think you guys are awesome. :)
Season 4 has been wonderful so far. I especially appreciate the story and character arcs. It's satisfying to watch the plots develop over several episodes rather than be contained in single eps. The character's evolution is particularly welcome. Before this season we knew in a peripheral sort of way through their banter that McKay and Sheppard are friends, which is always enjoyable, but to see them behaving like grownups who care about the safety and well-being of each other is truly gratifying. Those two scenes in Miller's Crossing were fantastic. Would also love to see more hints of Sheppard's dark side.
So, while I don't always agree with the writers' and producers' choices, and I have some fairly minor quibbles with a few things, I think Season 4 is the best so far.
Keep up the good work!
wow... people are really commenting today. So, my two bits:
I love the show, but I really feel we need to see more McShep ... maybe an episode off world ... just the two of them ... wet t-shirts ... no shirts...
Quick Q for ya Joe... now I know the Fandemonium tie-in novels are not strictly canon, per se, but I believe the content etc is vetted by MGM/whoever to ensure consistency with the series etc...
In the latest novel, which arrived today, reference is made in passing to Ronon's immunity to the Wraith feeding process. I know this is a subject oft-discussed amongst fans but I was of the impression that, canonically at least, nothing had ever been stated as to why the Wraith stopped feeding on Ronon when he was first captured on Sateda (and why they then made him a Runner). I didn't think it had been confirmed that he is actually immune to the feeding process and - I may well be imagining this - but thought I had seen the question raised with TPTB before and the answer being that it was left open, that no reason had been given as to why the Wraith stopped feeding.
Wow. That was a bit long and waffly. Sorry. Anyway, to sum up... is Ronon actually immune to the Wraith feeding process? :D
Joe,
Just finished watching the movie "Waitress". At the end when she named her baby girl "Lulu", I told my husband, "That's Joe Mallozzi's dog's name!". He and I burst out laughing....I don't know why this seemed so hilarious at the time...but it just tickled our funny bones!
Kimberly
I've never posted here before, but I do stop by and read your blog regularly. So I thought it was high time I popped in to tell you how much I am enjoying S4 of SGA. I was one of those fans worried about Sam coming over, as I didn't think her character was well-handled on SG1, but I have been pleasantly surprised at how much I like her in Atlantis. I was also sad to see Beckett leave, but again, I have become really fond of Keller and look forward to her appearances.
All in all, as much as I have loved SGA from the beginning, I think S4 is the strongest yet, and some of the episodes this season, like Doppleganger, Tabula Rasa and Miller's Crossing, the strongest episodes of the series thus far. I love all the characters and have been very happy at the way they've been written and their development.
So, to the writers and producers, well done, and thank you!
I've put "Summer of Night" on my reading list (the list after the BOTM list, that is).
Have you always read sci fi/fantasy/horror/speculative fiction? Was it something that influenced the genres you write in?
cowscows said...
You're implying that the only way Weir and Beckett could get interesting story arcs is by demoting them to guest stars or killing them. What a sad statement!
The focus of the show, primarily, is that of Sheppard's team and their encounters with the 'bad guys'. Intentional or not, the show revolves around them with others being just as important but more behind-the-scenes. Any character who has had a big 'moment' has been with one of the team at the time.
Beckett is seen more as a doctor than a geneticist within the series - mentions of retro viruses and ATA gene therapy aside, he spends his time patching up gate teams.
After the Wraith/human dilemma, there really isn't a lot you can do unless you do something dramatic to a character.
Weir was the expedition leader and, as such, almost never left the security of Atlantis. If the writers had put her in more situations like those of "The Storm", fans would have been complaining about how women are always seen as the damsels in dsitress and how Weir is a stronger character.
This arc not only shows off Weir's skills at reading people - the scene with Oberoth springs to mind - but also more facets of her personality that we would not see in her everyday Atlantis interactions.
And, if you notice, Carter is not going off-world as much as people thought, delegating jobs and asking for opinions of the other expedition members... not trying to take over the show at all, but trying to adapt to a new and isolating job.
I see it as a good thing that writers can take popular, but not directly central, characters and make them the focus of all the attention.
I was reading through my friend's list over on LJ when one of my fellow SGA fans suggested we pop over here and tell you what we think of the latest season. I figured, "Why not?"
I have loved this season. I was honestly a little worried about what was going to happen with the loss of Weir and Beckett (losing Beckett is still something that makes me choke up every so often, which I definitly credit to excellent writing by the writers and by the acting). But seeing what Tapping and Staite have managed to do with what they have been given (and I do think that they have been under utilized thus far, but that is an understandable issue with the lengeth of an episode vs the size of the cast), I cannot say that I have been disappointed.
And I can say that about every epsiode this season thus far. Each episode has been exciting and gripping, fun and engaging, and has held me at the edge of my seat. I only follow three shows strictly, but SGA is the only one of even those three that I look forward to from the moment the last episode has ended. The writers and the cast of SGA have created a world and characters that are brought to life so vividly that I want to come back again and again to visit.
Honestly, SGA is my favorite vacation spot and I have to say thank you for that! And well done, of course!
Anonymous said...
This arc not only shows off Weir's skills at reading people - the scene with Oberoth springs to mind - but also more facets of her personality that we would not see in her everyday Atlantis interactions.
Gotta agree with you there - I loved what, in particular, Lifeline showed us about Weir, about her character, her strength, her abilities. It's hard to get that kind of development for a character without in some way placing them either in jepoardy or at the heart of the action.. and Weir's day to day role on Atlantis did not really allow for that.
I just wanted to toss out a thank you for a marvellous season of Stargate: Atlantis. It just sort of seems as though you guys don't receive a nice "thank you" too often :)
I't been a fun season so far and I can't wait to see what's next!
I agree with the comments made about s4 being the best one yet, and loving the addition of Carter and Keller.
But, I also wanted to add that, this is the first show that I've ever watched in which I've taken an interest in the behind-the-scenes personnel (producers, directors, writers). Only a couple of shows (The X Files and Buffy) have piqued my interest in anyone other than the cast (and really, in these cases, I was only somewhat interested in the workings of produers Chris Carter and Joss Whedon), but, thanks to your blog, I am interested in the directors and writers, as well (in a completely non-stalkerish way, I might add! LOL!). Now, when I see a name pop up on screen (e.g., Martin Gero), I think of your blog and what Martin actually looks like and his personality.
I don't know if I'm conveying my thoughts correctly, but what I'm trying to say is that you've really managed to put faces and personalities behind the names on the screen, and that is really wonderful -- all thanks to you! I've never experienced this with any other show.
Thanks so much for keeping up this blog, sharing your thoughts, answering our questions, and allowing us a glimpse into your world.
Wow, there are a lot of comments on here. Just thought I should drop by and add mine! Gotta go show my friend , who still doesn't have cable, Miller's Crossing. Dark ages anyone? You know, before seeing the giant spoiler thread on Gateworld, she had almost a spot-on idea of what was gonna happen? Of course you didn't! Why would you, we live in DC? I could keep talking, but I have to go. Now. Bye.
I just finished reading Alas, Babylon...possibly the only BOTM nomination that wasn't made an official BOTM selection. But, well, it was the one I was most interested in.
What a great book! As opposed to The White Plague where I never really "felt" the characters, this could not be further from the case in regards to Alas, Babylon. Pat Frank did a wonderful job with characterization.
If you've finished it, what did you think of it?
Since I've now got Apocalyptic novels on my mind (White Plague; Alas, Babylon; and recently read Stewart's Earth Abides), have you read Nevil Shute's On the Beach?
Hey Joe (:
Just wanted to say that you guys have done an awesome job on Season 4 so far; keep it up for Season 5! \o/
Cheers,
Mary.
PS I'm really glad you brought Carter into the team :)
Hi Joe.
I've been truly enjoying (and when I say enjoying, it's an understatement) Season Four so far. Further backstory (and story) for Ronon and Teyla--as well as Sheppard, McKay, and Keller--humor, action, angst, good old fashioned sci-fi and pop culture references. It's been great. Thank you.
some smooth lies said...
I'm also loving season 4 - the moral ambiguity, the way the characters are actually *talking* about their mistakes, accepting responsibility, it's just awesome to see.
Thanks so much for being willing to go in new directions with the characters and the show!
RE: The bolded section.
All except for Sheppard taking responsibility in Travelers for loosing an Aurora-class Ancient Warship due to letting his guard down to someone (Larrin) who has already shown him she is not to be trusted. While I don't agree with some people who said Sheppard was only thinking with another part of his anatomy, he still should be held accountable for the mistake. Even if it is not an official reprimand, the incident definitely needs to be a source of ribbing by McKay at some point later in the season. Maybe we will see something like the scenario I have suggested in Be All My Sins Remember'd when the rest of the Atlantis crew meet Larrin?
That would be funny to me to have Sheppard as the butt of a joke instead of McKay for once.
Post a Comment