For some reason, of late, I’ve suffered fitfully sleepless nights plagued by colorfully bizarre dreams. Last night, I dreamt that the salmon stock (?) I had invested in through Stargate Producer John N. Smith had gone belly up due to improper freezing procedures. There I sat in a lawyer’s office as an independent arbitrator hired to look into the matter presented me with the partially-thawed investment and informed me it was all but worthless. I had lost $50 000 in unwise fish futures. $50 000? In fish? What was my dream trying to tell me? Fondy insists it reveals my anxiety about an uncertain future but, really, that just seems too obvious and, besides, I haven’t been feeling unusually anxious of late. Well, no more than normal. Rather than rely on my wife’s instincts, I instead turned to a no doubt far more dependable online dream interpreter. Unfortunately, “unwise frozen fish investments” turned up no results. And it brought up no results on the next site I tried either. Fortunately, third time’s the charm and, after inputting the following detailed account on a third site “I dreamt that I made an unwise investment in frozen fish futures”, I received the following interpretation: “Preservation. Restraint. Feelings need to be resolved.” I had no idea what this meant or how it applied to me, so I had the brilliant idea of running this interpretation through the online interpreter. It yielded no results. But when I ran it through another online dream translator, it yielded the following: “Your dream symbolizes your dislike for circus people.” Uncanny! It’s like a they’ve cast a mirror to the very depths of my soul. Even talking about this makes me very uncomfortable so, if you could, please forget this opening paragraph and assume that today’s update begins with the proceeding sentence:
The great thing about having a wife in a different line of work is the marked-down merchandise she can bring home from her place of business. Whereas I, as an executive producer on a show, can bring back things like a working alien blaster to deal with a pesky neighbor or a favorite actor to sing happy birthday on those special occasions, Fondy’s varied work experience has allowed her to bring back items like: a bag of day-old gourmet cookies, my very own diamond-studded gangsta grille, and, most recently, some terrific doggy beds and t-shirts. Unfortunately, both of the aforementioned are too small for me to make use of but it seems that Jelly, Maximus, Bubba, and Lulu are enjoying the new swag. Now if only Fondy’s next business venture could be a comic book shop specializing in super villain merchandise…
Just got an email from my buddy Rafael Jordan who dropped me a line from Bulgaria to let me know about his new movie. Wraiths of Roanoke, which Rafael wrote and produced, will be premiering on SciFi this Saturday night at 9:00 p.m. (and again on Thursday the 18th). Rafael is very talented, a helluva nice guy, AND a Stargate fan - and I wish him well on his latest endeavor. Do check it out.
And, finally, speaking of checking it out, many of you have asked me what I’m watching and what I thought of the new fall shows. Well, after tuning into everything (and I do mean everything) and eliminating the mind-numbingly boring, infuriatingly shitty, and plain just-not-for-me, I am left with Journey Man (love the premise but kind of wish the individual episode stakes would be higher) and Pushing Daisies (love the quirkiness but wonder if it may eventually prove a little too quirky for a general audience). Still on our regular DVR rotation: House, Boston Legal, The Office, My Name is Earl, 30 Rock, Grey’s Anatomy (for Fondy), Friday Night Lights (for me).
Today’s pics: the pooches enjoy the spoils of wardrobe (and bedding).
Today’s video: Click on the date for a behind-the-scenes glimpse of the Phoenix bridge.
Today’s mailbag:
MenNuniform writes: “Have you ever had a real southern-cooked meal?”
Answer: Sadly, there’s real dearth of good southern restaurants here in Vancouver. The last time I had a really great southern-cooked meal was on my last trip to New Orleans decades ago.
Graham writes: “So, Rachel Luttrell will sing in season 4 like she did in critical mass, right?”
Answer: Uh, wrong.
Flying Fig writes: “Have you given thought to going back and reviewing the noodles at that noodle place??”
Answer: Which one?
Tanya Anderson writes: “I know you watch Heroes and Lost…”
Answer: We do?
Gracey writes: “Curious did you grow up speaking French or English or were you bilingual. Do you also speak Italian?”
Answer: I speak English and am conversational in both French and Italian. I also know a little Cantonese and Japanese.
Anonymous #1 writes: “ Do you try to select healthy foods or whatever looks good?”
Answer: Healthy? Decidedly not!
Anonymous #2 writes: “Any idea what the cast is doing on their off time?”
Answer: Nope.
MsStargate writes: “Regarding, Connor Trinneer, was any thought given to making him a regular member of the Atlantis cast?”
Answer: That would be kind of tough given that he is a bad guy.
Susan W. writes: “A recipe for “London Pie” from Mayerne’s Archimagirus Anglo-Gallus:
“Take eight marrow bones, eighteen sparrows, one pound of potatoes, a quarter of a pound of eringoes…”
Answer: I’m having trouble tracking down eringoes this time of year.

75 comments:
Please answer these two questions. 1) What is the release date for Stargate Continuum? 2) Do you know what you want to happen when you start a TV series [like 'well, eventually Atlantis does blow up, the wraith will defeat the replicators, and in the third season the Doctor will die']?
Thanks!
I KNEW "Wraiths of Roanoke" had something to do with STARGATE. The write is a GATE fan! Don't know if it's sharp instincts or pain drugs but dang it, just curious to know how many people use "wraith" in conversational English??
OK, you endorsed it, I'm there. Saturday night in Wraiths of Roanoke and I don't CARE anymore why it was named that. Maybe the witches are "blood sucking aliens".
I'm excited. Friday is "gate" nite and Saturday is "wraith" nite.
Nice little outfits for the pack. Does Fondy sell cat outfits too?
Have you any funny dog stories that you can tell us?
Just a random thought - will the next season involve evil plants? To clarify - that either have bad effects or are evil? Or maybe even nice plants, that are like medicines?
What an odd question, eh?
Oh you poor thing. You need to come hang out with us. We live in Florida now, but we are actually from a very small town in south Georgia where there are very few restaurants in general. My mom knows how to cook. :)
But anyways, I asked this before and you didn't answer, so on the chance you didn't see it:
Which has more Shep whump, Doppelganger or Travelers?
And if you did see it and not answer for a reason, then sorry for pushing the question again.
Goodnight :)
So how often are you in the production offices now that principal photography of Atlantis is done? I am sure there are still fires to put out with postproduction problems coming up.
[I]Tanya Anderson writes: “I know you watch Heroes and Lost…”
Answer: We do?[/I]
Oh wow do I feel like a moron. I don't know why I thought you did, maybe someone else mentioned it in the comments section and I thought you guys did. Or maybe I was thinking of Crazy Joe, the shoeless, one eyed, enema hoarder, moonshine runner who lives under the bridge at my work. While he doesn't have a television he is quite adept at acting out all the new shows for anyone who may have missed them the night before. His version of "Wife Swap" really is "must see tv". Sorry for the confusion, you can see how I might mistake the two of you. Please let Fondy know that no, I really didn't mistake her for Crazy Joe's wife as his wife is simply a few bags of flour duct taped together with a stalk of lettuce as her head. She was actually quite becoming until the rabbits got after her...
Hi Joe
Hope everythings going great with you. There WILL be a 5th season and therafter with your talent you will land on your feet ( I know that's a cat thing and you love dogs but whatever).. All your canines appear very much loved and very much spoiled. But what the hey..
Sleep tight and sweet dreams.
Dori
So, I guess that means your having I nice time off, right?
Thank you! I really needed some adorable dog pictures to brighten my day. :) (Little dogs always look adorable in doggy t-shirts.)
What's your opinion on dog clothes? Do you think that Fondy will have special Halloween-themed regalia for the dogs? I don't think I'll ever get my puppy to hold still enough to wear a costume.
Have you ever checked out Joost as a means of distribution? I found this two weeks ago and I love it. MGM has a channel on it and there is some Science Fiction content available. Links are:
http://www.joost.com/
or
http://www.joost.com/whatsjoost.html
"I hate Michael Vick." I laughed out loud at that t-shirt. Although I think my dog would love the "Sexy Bitch" one better. Too funny.
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the heads up on "Wraiths of Roanoke". Have you or will you be watching it? Any chance of a review?
Hah! Your puppies are too cute for words. Has Lulu started modelling in store?
I also know a little Cantonese and Japanese.
Did you learn through comic books and movies?
Did you consider sending the dead fish to a taxidermist, getting them made into plaques and sell them to wannabe fishermen who want 'the one that got away'?
just a thought.
Yay! I'm flying to Melbourne tonight for the Armageddon con!
love the new doggy pics - very cute outfits! Planning on dressing them up for Halloween?
cheerio!
- Dana
Salut, tous soirs je viens pratiquer mon anglais avec ton blog, c'est ben sympa !
ladyconure,
Wraiths are in computer games & a few book series. I just saw a Torchwood rerun that referred to them.
In star wars universe -not the movies, there is a wraith squadron.
& don't forget the ringwraiths in Lord of the Rings.
I've no idea what your dream may imply, but your recounting of the research endeavor afterwards certainly made me smile. Sorry to hear about the fitfull sleep of late, however.
And I'd wondered if, by chance, there was any SG "connection" with the new Wraiths of Roanoke feature. Now I know. ; )
Looking forward to the upcoming Atlantis ep!
Just time for a quick question tonight: Obviously, Jeannie Miller was originally based off the fact that in the first season, David Hewlett asked that the brother that he was to send his message to be changed to a sister. Are there any other times when the actors either inspired ideas for the character?
Hi Joe!
Don't tell my dogs that your puppy pics are the Cutest. Dog Pics. Ever. :)
I forget, what was the opening paragraph? Something about fish...and dreams? Nah, I must be imagining that because the opening paragraph is about doggy stuff!
Have you seen the House ep, 97 Seconds yet? What did you think about what House did with the knife? Was it supposed to be that the dog accidentally OD'd? Guess it would have to have been, eh?
I'm going to go drink beer. Lots of really great beer. For three days. Then, if my liver permits, I'll be back to visit your wonderful blog. Take care!
Here's a good (and gross) Halloween recipe:
10 gallons of V8
1 cup of diced tomatoes
1 cup of tomato paste
1 gallon of hot sauce
salt
pepper
parsley garnish
blood orange garnish
Name: Dracula's Blood
Purpose: Serve this to children for warmth.
Try this recipe if you have Halloween in Canada (Oct. 31st here in the States)
You know the scene in 'Adrift' where Carter and Dr. Lee are floating around weightless? How was that filmed? This may be completely obvious, but I'm taking a moratorium on thinking today. Except for thinking about how cool it'd be to experience being in an anti-grav chamber. Was it special effects? Harnesses? Real anti-grav chamber? Giant turbo-force fans blowing up from the floor? Filmed on the moon?
Americans amuse me. The way they think nobody knows about their customs and everything when the world is being bombarded by American movies, American tv, etc etc.
Yes, we pretty much all know what Halloween is.
you know what - anonymous? You are right. They are defined (I looked it up on the net) as specters of former or living beings, legend based in Scotland. I guess I was being defensive and a bit premature (sigh). Thanks for the input and for not making me feel like an idiot. Still gonna watch it. Love the premise and have always been fascinated with New England history (all history for that matter). My many thanks. Hugs to all!
Do you have any idea for the hypothetical season 5 ?
I liked the michal character before i started watching Star trek enterprise and have always thought Michal would make a very interesting addition to the Atlantis team... so many stories come to mind, sadly, none of them will probably ever be made. I was always hoping Michal would end up being more of the anti-hero than enemy. oh well.
Loved the doggy outfits. very funny.
hey joe
i have a question about something that has had me puzzled for sometime. Why does CGI cost so much? Where is the cost in it? You would have thought that in this day and age it would be less costly to create a CGI explosion/ship/alien etc than to make a physical one from scratch. can you shed some light on this?
bex
Anonymous said: "Americans amuse me. The way they think nobody knows about their customs and everything when the world is being bombarded by American movies, American tv, etc etc."
Well, do you prefer Americans who think that the USA is so important that everybody on the planet SHOULD know all about America and its customs?
As an American who's lived abroad, I can say that I've been astounded at things non-Americans have thought/assumed about American customs and culture. Conversely, I've also been astounded at some things non-Americans DO know about America.
Try explaining the Easter Bunny to Koreans. Hilarious.
Granted, Korea is not Canada and one would assume that Canadians would know more about US customs/culture than Koreans, being as we share a border and all that. Then again, I know an embarassingly small amount about Canada and I live in a friggin' state that borders it. And I'm a social studies teacher.
I have no idea what my point was. Oh yeah--I prefer Americans who assume others DON'T know about American crap than Americans who EXPECT others to know all about us.
Does any country other than the US celebrate Halloween? And what, exactly, is Boxing Day? I know it's the day after Christmas, but other than that...
I cared for and renovated my grandmothers (8) rental homes over the last 7 years. During that time I had several elaborate and vivid dreams about them. The houses were always distorted or drastically different, yet recognizable. Sometimes they reminded of something out of House or House II.
After grandma passed I focused more of my time on my MR2. I then of course had several dreams about the car 1. Being swallowed into a bottomless swirling kasm; 2. Stolen; 3. Seriously, I really did dream #1.
But how about them flying dreams? Or the one's where you lose your teeth? D=
Journeyman: It does rock, but they need to step it up just a notch.
Pet clothing: OH GAWD THEY ARE SO PUNNY.
If I may Joe, I see this confusion a lot around Halloween. So, in very, very brief:
Halloween is not strickly an American holiday. It comes from Europe where it can be traced back to the ancient Celts who had a celebration called Samhain where they celebrated the end of summer and it was believed the dead returned briefly to the living world.
In 835 AD, the Pope moved a celebration called "All Saint's Day" to November 1 and the night before was called "All Hallow's Eve" As Samhain was a Pegan celebration it was done in part to help convert them to Christianity. (The same was done with what we now celebrate as Christmas) All Hallow's Eve became Halloween. And while we Americans have perhaps the most massive Halloween celebrations, we are definately not the only ones who celebrate it. It is celebrated in a number of other countries and is believed to have not appeared in America until the nineteenth century. The history of Halloween is really very interesting, but it does take some research.
As for Boxing Day - my understanding is that it has several possible origins. They include Christmas boxes handed out by employers on that day, Boxes brought to work places by employees into which the boss would drop coins (similar to today's Christmas bonus) I've also heard to it refered to as the day that people 'box up' their holiday decorations and when at least some retailers have clearence sales (think the Friday after Thanksgiving here in the States) and therefor avoid 'boxing' up their merchandise for next year.
I'm from Bulgaria. They are shooting a lot of productions here now.
http://scifi.about.com/od/stargate/a/sga_s4premiere.htm?nl=1
I found this story from About.com and thought you may like to read it (if you haven’t already). Though I beg to differ about the Sheppard McKay dynamic and their not being a big part of the show, I certainly agree with most of what the rest of the article had to say. It's not just a few grumblers out here after all. Still love my favorite show though, just have to overlook a lot more stuff to see the show I fell in love with over 3 years ago. I didn’t want to sign in as anonymous, but I didn’t want to sign up for google and I don’t have a web site and I was left with anonymous as a default.
A Faithful Loyal Viewer
Timespirt
Emily,
1st November was the Celtic New Year, so it was traditional in the Celtic world to celebrate on the evening before to mark this.
This became the pagan festival of Samhain.
In later years, the Christians celebrated All Hallows Eve on the 31st October and All Saints Day on 1st November.
Bonfires and parties are traditional ways to scare away the ghosts of the old year and welcome in the new.
I grew up in the 60's in the UK and knew about Halloween, but we didn't celebrate it; our bonfires were saved for 5th of November for Guy Fawkes Night, an anti Catholic festival, if truth be told; some villages still burn the Pope in effigy, rather than Guido Fawkes (who was a 'terrorist' who tried to blow up our government in 1605).
Boxing day (St Stephen's Day) is the day the poor boxes were opened and the money handed out and also 'boxes' or gifts were given to tradesmen and servants.
FF
ps. The Easter Bunnie is another pagan hold over from the spring goddess Eostre, who's sacred animal was the hare.
Name: Dracula's Blood
Purpose: Serve this to children for warmth.
you could always put the kids in the mixture and serve the lot up for warmth MUHAHA.
my mum goes into hospital tomorrow for a small procedure would be kind enough to wish her luck as she has a real phobia about hospitals.
thanks Joe
And what, exactly, is Boxing Day? I know it's the day after Christmas, but other than that...
It's a British holiday. Traditionally, all the food in the house is eaten on Christmas Day. Unfortunately, all of the shops on the High Street are closed on December 26-th, and so people are trapped in houses with a LOT of very hungry people. To prevent ritualistic cannabilism (which would probably hurt our population growth, not to mention causing irrepairable harm to families!), we've come up with the rather smart idea of arranging familial boxing matches... :-)
I rather enjoy being an amateur dream interpreter. (Having, of course, no actual psychological training.) It's pretty clear you're processing some anxiety (whether future or past is up to you to decide). Probably just end-of-the-year detoxing of built-up stress.
I was confused, however, by your subconscious' choice of fish. I found this description kinda funny:
Fish
To see live fish in a dream is very much good luck unless the fish was carp, in which case it is a warning against subjecting yourself by your actions to criticism. A fish swimming in clear water is an omen that you will acquire personal wealth and power. but to see a dead fish is an omen of disappointment. Cooking and eating fish, except carp, indicates your present endeavors will meet with success.
Clearly, there is fish on the menu in the future!
On to TV, I have much the same feelings as you on Journeyman. A lot of potential. It needs to tighten up a bit.
Sadly, Pushing Daisies is one of those styles that I have to be in the mood to enjoy. I can appreciate it for its production value and inventiveness. Just not sure I want to put up with it, if that makes sense.
Still trying to hold on for Bionic Woman, but they're losing me.
Hang in there! Get tons of exercise today and maybe your mind will calm down tonight.
I've just seen this "http://tv.yahoo.com/stargate-atlantis/show/35558/videos" touching Sam/Teal'c goodbye from "Reunion". Guess it's only logical that Teal'c is the one to see her off after their "Unending" romance. BTW where are the rest of SG-1 and how come Sam doesn't have Cam's or Vala's pictures on her Atlantis desk? How come when Jack left SGC Sam and the others didn't seem to give a damn and quickly seemed to forget about him altogether (per "200" they all looked ast him like a stranger)?
It's interesting how you can come up with such emotional Sam/Teal'c moments and at the same time dismiss any mention of Jack in SG-1 finale and season 4 such as in "Trio" - the only season 4 episode I was looking forward to watching. Now don't get me wrong I've seen "Adrift", "Lifeline" and "Doppelganger" through torrents and they're watchable (a.k.a. I didn't feel I wasted 40 minutes watching them once but I have no intention to pay for them in any form). Here's Rick's ad from "Hollywood reporter" August 23rd 2006 "After eight years of leading the SG-1 quartet into weekly virtual disasters, and one and a half shy yet ostentibly heroic years to reflect, I am proud to say my life is so full and enriched as a result of my experience with the cast and crew of SG-1, many of whom will remain friends forever.
Thank you all for laughing with (at) me
P.S. And to Sci-fi, MGM and Sony,
thank you too... call me
"
So did you call him to try to get him for a couple of episodes of season 4. If you don't answer this I'm just going to guess the answer is "NO"
P.S. I'll understand if you don't allow this post or you truncate it.
1)Is the episode Quarantine filled with emotional angst and heated revelations?
2)Does Atlantis literally gain something in the episode "Spoils of War"?
Joe...those pups of yours look just adorable! I'm not so sure about the pinkiness of some of the stuff but Lulu looks really happy in that bed!!
You mentionned a few blogs back that you had picked up Ash: A Secret History - I spotted it in my local 2nd hand bookstore yesterday and picked it up, although I'm only 100 pages in so far. Where've you got to? What do you think of it so far? It's certainly an interesting writing style!
Emily: There is Halloween stuff everywhere near me here in the UK...although we don't really celebrate it as such. As for Boxing Day...so called because the day after Christmas was when boxes would be used for boxing up leftover food or when Christmas boxes were delivered. Apparently. To be honest, I was told that that was when there used to be boxing matches!
Hope your day was a good one!
Dreams
Hi! I'm Japanese fan.
You answered about question for Connor Trinneer.
"That would be kind of tough given that he is a bad guy."
Nooooooooooooooooo!
He is a damn good guy.
His role "Michael" is a bad guy.
And I agree Sawna :-)
A question about the Wraith and their feeding habits. We have only seen them feed on adults. Do they consider younger humans unripe (like fruit) or a delicacy (like veal)? Gross thought, I know.
Also, if a child were fed on, would the child mature (grow up) as the Wraith fed or be a mini old person?
BTW I am thoroughly enjoying watching the new season so far! I do love what you have done with Weir.
Hi Joe, such luxurious beds...cute tees...I had to explain to Ma what "I eat p_____" meant when told her to see the cute pics...
Jelly is too cute!
Sis in law
Will the Phoenix look any different then the Apollo on the inside and outside?
After the s4 premiere you said you should hear about the show's fate anytime in the next couple of weeks. Since almost two weeks have passed since then... Do you already know? If you can't tell us whether the show has been renewed or not, can you say at least if you already know the answer but can't say anything until the press release?
If you don't know yet, will you be able to tell us that a decision has been made, whenever that happens, even if you can't tell us if it's good or bad news until Sci Fi/MGM makes a public statement?
Hi Joe, longtime lurker, I enjoy your behind-the-scenes stories and email scammers, er, correspondence--always makes me laugh! I'm happy you've got the video stuff added now and that I've figured out how to enlarge the photos.
Which leads me to ask re: the cast and crew photo: was that a photoshop (or the ilk) job of a bunch of different groups, taken at different times, some of them possibly outside?
Just want to know if I need to buy a new monitor!
I hope your "break" is relaxing and full of good news!
I'm looking forward to the rest of season 4!
emily said:
"I prefer Americans who assume others DON'T know about American crap than Americans who EXPECT others to know all about us."
So do I, as long as it is gently explained. No we don't know what Columbus day is, but we can hazard a guess...
There is no harm in say, when you are asking Joe what he is doing for Halloween, you add a quick explanation for us non-Americans.
Yes, it's trick or treat, pumpkins and the colour orange...but when is it? Okay, we could Google it, but why should we when we can get all the info we would like from one of you?
The same goes for the Cardinals and other teams. What are they? The rest of the world would celebrate right alongside you if we knew what the hell you were talking about...
Remember, we are all here due to Stargate Fandom and Joe, but apart from this we have very few things in common.
I have the same concerns about 'Pushing Daisies'. It's quirky and cute -- but can I handle that for 22+ episodes? I dunno...
'Reaper' is hilarious, and I like 'Bionic Woman' but the plotlines are a little weak. 'Dirty Sexy Money' rocks my world.
KJC (who is also a sexy bitch that hates Michael Vick)
Dear Joe,
Question : who created Vala Mal Doran character? ( my guest : it is you)
I would like to wish a happy birthday to Mrs Claudia Black (October 11th if I'm correct) and, by the same occasion, to my beloved Vala!!
For some reason, of late, I’ve suffered fitfully sleepless nights plagued by colorfully bizarre dreams. Last night, I dreamt that the salmon stock (?) I had invested in through Stargate Producer John N. Smith had gone belly up due to improper freezing procedures. There I sat in a lawyer’s office as an independent arbitrator hired to look into the matter presented me with the partially-thawed investment and informed me it was all but worthless. I had lost $50 000 in unwise fish futures
Sounds to me like your creative side is starting feel like you need to branch out from the Stargate related projects and work on something else. You might be feeling like you have become 'frozen' into this one thing and only dealing with people involved in it.
That the 'process' may be starting to feel like it's not the proper place for you to be anymore.
That's normal and it doesn't mean you should give up your position or walk away from the gateverse, but that you might want to spend some time working on other things and making more investments in other creative projects for yourself.
Hope that helps.
ஜ◆ஜ◆ஜ◆ஜ◆ஜ◆ஜ◆ஜ◆ஜ◆ஜ◆ஜ◆ஜ
Salut Joseph =)=)
OLalala j'adore ces photo^^! Trop mignion vos chiens avec leurs petits vétements ^^!!! Ils ont trop la class comme leur maître^^!!
Merci aussi pour la video!
impressionnant le nombre de langue que vous parlez! Ralala vous êtes génial!! je voudrez trop être comme vous!!!
Lol ba moi je rêve présque chaque soir que je réalise mon rêve en rencontrant un homme charment, intéligent, gentil, beau, et le meilleur Scénariste de la planet! (hum hum, je parle de vous biensure lol XD)
Bon je vous fait de gros bisou!!
je vous aime fort fort!
Merci! A demain!!
ஜ◆ஜ◆ஜ◆ஜ◆ஜ◆ஜ◆ஜ◆ஜ◆ஜ◆ஜ◆ஜ
What an informative set of comments! In keeping with the international thread, I'd like to say that I'm pretty sure that the US and Canada share two borders, and not just the one. *grins*
Great pet pics today Joe. Do any of them snore?
Boxing Day isn't just British. You'll find it in pretty much all Commonwealth countries.
The most important things about it is that it's a public holiday!!! And the sales are on.
In Australia, there's the Boxing Day test match (cricket) and the start of the Sydney to Hobart yacht race. Yes, everything in Australia revolves around sport...
anonymous said: "Guess it's only logical that Teal'c is the one to see her off after their "Unending" romance. BTW where are the rest of SG-1 and how come Sam doesn't have Cam's or Vala's pictures on her Atlantis desk? How come when Jack left SGC Sam and the others didn't seem to give a damn and quickly seemed to forget about him altogether (per "200" they all looked ast him like a stranger)?"
As an Atlantis-only fan, I can't say anything about something that happened or not happend in SG-1 because I never watched the show. While I agree that for SG-1 fans it would've been nice to see all their members saying goodbye to Carter, it's not practical. I don't know anything about TV production but from my uninformed point of view, that would've cost too much money (you know, actors don't work for free, just like you or me don't work for free either). Add to that the scheduling problem. My guess is that it's not so easy to get so many guest stars available for the day where that scene needed to be shot. It's nice when fanfic writers can write their stories without any concern about money, budgets, schedules, etc. But when you're shooting the real show, you have to make compromises and decide what you can and what you can't do. Because of money, because of scheduling conflicts, because of time, because of whatever other reason.
anonymous also said: "(...)Here's Rick's ad (...) So did you call him to try to get him for a couple of episodes of season 4. If you don't answer this I'm just going to guess the answer is "NO""
We already have Carter, we have Teal'c, Dr. Lee and probably Landry making some appearances. Personally I'm very very glad that no other SG-1 character is in season 4. We already have too many of them. Thank you.
But I'm sure TPTB had other things to consider and the fact that some fans like you want him and other fans like me don't want any more SG-1 appearances is completely irrelevant.
My guess is that RDA is the most expensive actor within the Stargate franchise and having him in some scenes on Atlantis would imply a higher cost. Once again, there's a financial side many fans seem to forget.
I remember Joe answered here a fan question several months ago. I have no idea about the date, so I can't copy the exact quote. But from what I remember, Joe said that Jack in s3 of Atlantis hadn't increased the ratings in a way that justified having him back once again". I'm sure Mr. Mallozzi will let me know if I remember things wrong, or if I interpreted things wrong.
I'd like to know when in season 5 you plan on revealing the fact that Caldwell spends a lot of time with his father, Elmer Fudd. Also, when is Cameron's great aunt Emma going to come to Atlantis to cook everyone bacon? And by the way, I know that she's really the momma from "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" and that you stole her. Shameless.
Hi Joe, WOW your dogs are spoilt with a bed each. Sadly, I cant buy a bed for my cat - as she prefers to sleep on my bed. I think your dreams might be an overactive brain that hasnt got the slow down message yet.
As a rabid history buff (up to the death of Henry VII - after that it gets boring) I can tell you that Boxing Day/St Stephen's Day - 26th December was begun by King Stephen of England (circa 12C English king). Anyway, he was tormented by the amount of food prepared for the Christmas celebrations that he insisted that some of the food be put into boxes and distributed to poor people in surrounding villages the day after Christmas Day (thus Boxing Day was born).
When he died, he was beatified and named a saint for his christian charity and compassion and his feast day was nominated as the day after Christmas Day. Thus the day became a church calendar holiday which carried over into the secular year as the church's influence on society diminished.
Joe,
Thought this might interest you and Fondy. An article on the front page of the San Francisco Chronicle about pets.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/10/10/MNNFS8O0V.DTL
For the record:
Canadians celebrate Hallowe'en (well, generally speaking. There are those who don't, just like in the US). This year my band is performing on Hallowe'en (and we play Celtic music) and we'll probably all dress up.
Winter comes a little earlier in my part of the country though, and it's not at all unusual for the snow to be fairly well established by Hallowe'en. Eskimos were a common costume theme when I was young, and pretty much any costume intended for trick-or-treating had to be able to accommodate winter gear underneath. But sometimes we have warm Hallowe'ens too. Funny as how the temperature dropped, so did the amount of candy we collected (we lost heart after two streets or so). I remember watching American movies and so on that talked about Hallowe'en and being confused by all the little kids in their flimsy light costumes running through the autumn leaves and thinking "Hallowe'en's not like that!"
And I, too, prefer the kind of American who doesn't just assume that the rest of the world knows their culture. Unfortunately I have found that for Canadians we have to be the opposite - assume people know nothing or think we're just another kind of Americans. A lot of people assume we're one big frozen wasteland. I for one enjoy throwing off people from southern reaches with tales of my pet polar bear (who, of course, has his own igloo attached to my own) and how the penguins have to be guarded night and day from the sled dogs... ha ha ha.
Dee in South Africa says "Okay, we could Google it, but why should we when we can get all the info we would like from one of you?"
And why should everyone explain all holidays/customs to everyone when there might only be a few (or even none) that don't understand it, who can google it? ;~) (To turn the point of view around)
If someone asks me what a holiday or custom is...I really am a helpful person and would be glad to explain. And if someone else wants to explain in their posts, before they are asked...go for it. Just please don't expect everyone to automatically explain. Sometimes we don't know what people will have questions about...and don't want to go into a long explanation when we just want to post a quick question.
I have never gotten upset when someone refers to a holiday/custom I don't know. I use that as an opportunity to look it up and learn something. (Or I may ask someone) I don't assume everyone knows my countries customs/holidays. I also don't think everyone else expects me to know theirs. I think we are simply posting from our own unique perspective in the world, and really aren't thinking about it that deeply.
Hi Joe...
Just wanted to say that your doggies are absolutely adorable!! I'm pretty new to your blog (2 months)so I'm a newbie..I love all of your insights on everything..The show is AWESOME; no doubt there WILL be a season 5..I have a strange question for you: What in the world is whump?? I see it throughtout your blog and am curious...How long is the Stargate hiatus before you have to start again?? btw...where's Cookie Monster?? Those entries are hilarious!!! Have fun on your time off..you deserve it..I live in Baltimore, Maryland..Have you ever visited the area??
****Tessylia****
Susan the Tartan Turtle said...
Nice little outfits for the pack. Does Fondy sell cat outfits too?
Oh my, just the thought of trying to put clothes on a cat is an odd mixture of hilarious and painful (the painful would come from when they claw you to shreds in their attempts to escape)! :D
I love the dogs' shirts! I especially like the Lulu's? (My apologies if it's not Lulu.)
*waves*
Ah the wonderful world of dreams. here's how I would interpret yours.
Fishing = Patience and waiting for that moment when you can celebrate the fruits of your labour.
The frozen part = People have bought the product, but are waiting to see if it defrosts properly. ;)
Investment = The time and effort you've spent on the product.
It definately sounds like an anxiety dream though, and that you may feel that the 'product' spent too long in the freezer and now you fear that now it's starting to 'thaw' it'll be too late and people won't enjoy it as much as they would have, if it had been defrosted a few months earlier. ;)
Either that or you ate too much cheese before you went to bed last night. :P
And i've given this far too much thought! LOL
So moving swiftly on, any news on those shirtless shep eps, you know i'd be happy with a 'no comment'? :D Or maybe some yummy whumpy stuff you can divulge for a certain dashing pilot? Don't make me beg, Joe, it's not a pretty sight! :D
Love the T-Shirts, Fondy should start selling some for the owners. LOL, I think they'd be quite popular. :D
*hugs*
And my prediction for when you get told there's a S5 is *drum roll* Next Monday or Tuesday. :D
As far as the scene between Sam and Teal'c that someone else mentioned, I'm really disappointed that Jack and Daniel weren't there too. The 4 of them have been a team for 10 years and I would have rather not had the scene at all if we couldn't have ALL of the original team saying goodbye to Sam. Couldn't you get Michael and Rick to do a cameo? Michael was on the set filming both movies and Rick filmed Continuum. It could have even been added in later like you've done numerous times before.
It comes across like Teal'c is the only one that even cares about Sam anymore from SG1. Jack and Daniel should have been there too. And I'm not the only Sam/Jack shipper that feels that way Joe.
What in the world is whump?? I see it throughtout your blog and am curious...
Whump: when a character gets the crap kicked out of them so they are too incapacitated to get away from the screaming fangirls eg. Sheppard cried quietly to himself as broken and bloody his crutches was kicked out from him leaving him crawling desperately away from the ravenous grasp of scary fangirls, who zombie like intoned, "We'll take care of you, John!".
Is exhibited by fangirls buying Florence Nightingale uniforms and characters praying for death as a means of escape.
boston legal is one of the few good things on tv IMHO. there's some growing interest to try to get the producers to have michael shanks on there as allen shore's cousin or brother.
BTW do the dogs like the dog-shirts?
*waves*
I know I should be in bed, but....
Dovil said...
Whump: when a character gets the crap kicked out of them so they are too incapacitated to get away from the screaming fangirls eg. Sheppard cried quietly to himself as broken and bloody his crutches was kicked out from him leaving him crawling desperately away from the ravenous grasp of scary fangirls, who zombie like intoned, "We'll take care of you, John!".
Is exhibited by fangirls buying Florence Nightingale uniforms and characters praying for death as a means of escape."
Oh my I think i'm about to swoon at the thought of Shep all brocken, bloodied and having the crap kicked out of him. But you forgot the most important things. ;) Nekkid under the infirmary blanket and intubated. :P Glad to see you got the comfort part in. :D
Well, that's it! last tutorial for the year. had the last lecture for the year on Wednesday - now its down to study & prep for an exam on 27th oct (business statistics) and economics on 9th Nov.
anon says: It comes across like Teal'c is the only one that even cares about Sam anymore from SG1. Jack and Daniel should have been there too. And I'm not the only Sam/Jack shipper that feels that way Joe.
Jack and Daniel would have loved to be there, unfortunately though they were in Canada getting married and awaiting on the adoption of their two toy poodles named Troy and Darren. I'm sure we all wish them well.
I really like NUMB3RS. It uses math in a way that make me all giggly. Unfortunately as you already know, it's on at the exact same time as SGA. So, does it really matter if I (and maybe a bunch of other people) watch SGA during it's regular timeslot of Fridays at 10 PM or would putting it off until 12:30 AM Saturday when it repeats make a difference when it comes to ratings?
Hi - a request!
In one of the first two Season 4 eppisodes Dr. Lee takes a photograph of the Apollo bridge by accident.
I would love to see the picture this actor in question took in reality! Can we??
Reffering to this fragment:
http://tv.yahoo.com/stargate-atlantis/show/35558/videos
Tonight's the night. Looking forward to seeing Reunion. I always like to see Ronon running around, fighting, and being a he-man. (I like his softer side too, though.)
In Lifeline, Rodney mentions that their new mainland has a giant poisonous snake. 1) Will the snake be in any of the episodes this season? 2) Will we see their new mainland featured in any scenes this season?
Okay, whoever asked about whump, i am eternally indebted to you because i was wondering the same thing! :) but i still don't know what ship is... anyone care to give a definition, maybe? *hopeful*
Jack and Daniel would have loved to be there, unfortunately though they were in Canada getting married and awaiting on the adoption of their two toy poodles named Troy and Darren. I'm sure we all wish them well.
LOL!! Jack got it right this time - last time he only posted her as far as Arizona and she came back. He's hoping sending her to another galaxy which is incidentally at war with a monstrous alien species might keep her from gate crashing their honeymoon this time round. :-D
Post a Comment