Do you know what’s even more surprising than a surprise birthday party? Yep. A surprise dentist appointment! We were in Yaletown this afternoon, lunching at Phat for the second time in as many days, when I bit down on a peppercorn in just the right spot, sending a shiver of pain along my right jaw. I winced, leading Fondy to suggest I swing by the dentist’s office, only three doors down, and make an appointment to get my tooth looked at. Well, I did drop by to make an appointment - and my dentist did me one better. Thanks to a late cancellation, he had a free spot in his busy afternoon rotation. I was in luck! “Are you sure?”I asked. “It’s not a rush.” No, evidently, not a problem at all.
After a quickie x-ray and some delicate prodding, I was informed that I had chipped one of my back teeth and lost a piece of a filling. Alas, fixing it would require another hour of my time…preferably…next week? Yes! Great! Next week!
To celebrate yet another successful visit to the dentist, I swung by Monde Chocolat on the way home and picked up some of the new Pralus and Zotter bars that came out this week. As always, Zotter’s flavor combinations tend toward the unique. For example: Balsamic Camaramel, Sweet Potato-Moccha-Rosemary, and Sunflower Seeds and Reishi. Sadly, no Tofu-Sake. Maybe next week.
I returned home to find three discs sitting in my mailbox: a director’s cut of Outcast, a director’s cut of The Last Man, and a finished version of The Seer. The only one that couldn’t wait was the Product Cut A of Outcast…which wasn’t in my box. Hopefully, I’ll receive it soon so that I can review it, then swing by the studio tomorrow and make whatever tweaks need to be made before officially calling it a Prod 1 and sending it off to the network and studio for their input.
Overall, a productive day as I finally got back to work on that pilot script I stalled out on way back when. This one is a one hour dramedy or, I prefer, coma, and once it’s done, that should give us four originals in the arsenal with two more on deck. A little scifi. A little horror. Some comedy. A little touch of WTF?! If all goes well, once Stargate is done (which hopefully won’t be for a while), they’ll see the light of t.v. screen. Failing that, two years from now make sure to check your town papers as I could be doing selected readings from my scripts at a local library near you.
Today’s pics: Chocolate, cuts, and last night‘s dinner at Tojo‘s. It’s uni season!
Today’s video: Click on the date for a continued walk through the village in the FX stage.
Today’s mailbag:
Elizabeth writes: “1) What is the release date for Stargate Continuum? 2) Do you know what you want to happen when you start a TV series [like 'well, eventually Atlantis does blow up, the wraith will defeat the replicators, and in the third season the Doctor will die']?”
Answers: 1) No idea. 2) Sometimes.
Susan the Tartan Turtle writes: “Does Fondy sell cat outfits too?”
Answer: Yup.
Stargatemagic writes: “Will the next season involve evil plants?”
Answer: Next season will be all about evil plants and misunderstood marsupials.
MenNuniform writes: “Which has more Shep whump, Doppelganger or Travelers?”
Answer: In my opinion - Doppelganger.
Lady Dulcinea writes: “Or maybe I was thinking of Crazy Joe, the shoeless, one eyed, enema hoarder, moonshine runner who lives under the bridge at my work.”
Answer: Yeah, I’ve been getting a lot of his mail lately.
Emily writes: “You know the scene in 'Adrift' where Carter and Dr. Lee are floating around weightless? How was that filmed?”
Answer: Wires, green screen, and, I believe, a skateboard.
Edward4th writes: “ my mum goes into hospital tomorrow for a small procedure would be kind enough to wish her luck as she has a real phobia about hospitals”
Answer: Best of luck to Mrs. Edward4th! Print up all of my blog entries to ensure she has endless hours of entertaining reading during her stay.
Dreams-of-Skies writes: “You mentionned a few blogs back that you had picked up Ash: A Secret History - I spotted it in my local 2nd hand bookstore yesterday and picked it up, although I'm only 100 pages in so far. Where've you got to? What do you think of it so far? It's certainly an interesting writing style!”
Answer: I’m about 100 pages in as well as I was reading only a chapter a night as I worked my way through Fall of Hyperion. It’ll probably remain a chapter a night as I have to start on Heorot and Foul’s Bane as well. To be honest, I’m not a fan of the continuous interruptions by the historian-translator. While I accept the fantasy that this is an actual historical document - and given the fact that, as a student of history and having read plenty of historical documents, it’s a biiig stretch - it actually makes the suspension of belief all that more difficult every time I am pulled out of the narrative.
Sq27301 writes: “After the s4 premiere you said you should hear about the show's fate anytime in the next couple of weeks. Since almost two weeks have passed since then... Do you already know?”
Answer: I do not. Still waiting.
Fargate One writes: “who created Vala Mal Doran character?”
Answer: Robert C. Cooper.
Anonymous # writes: “ Boxing Day isn't just British. You'll find it in pretty much all Commonwealth countries.”
Answer: Yep. On this day, anyone in Canada is allowed to choose one person exiting a store and challenge him/her to a boxing match for an item they just purchased. An individual can only be challenged once for a particular purchased item, although they may technically be challenged numerous times (this is wholly dependent on how many items they have purchased). Last year, I won a Nintendo Wii from my 87 year old neighbor. She had me on the ropes in the second and third round, but I ended up winning a TKO in the eighth. Sweet, sweet victory.

59 comments:
If only i could reach threw the website and pick those cuts up off your desk, that would make my night.
I'm really excited that friday is upon us once again, new stargate and new avatar! Ahh to be a geek.
So I saw the Teal'c/Sam scene from Reunion online. You and the other producers must know that Scifi canceled the wrong show. It's an SG-1 scene, with SG-1 characters, at the SGC. And it's beautiful.
Likewise, I also saw a fair bit of Teal'c/Ronan stuff from Reunion thanks to Scifi's Q & A with Jason Momoa. Again, Teal'c for the win. I can't believe that only Teal'c will be guesting in season four. That is just throwing ratings away. Daniel and Jack should both be in at least one episode, and not having General Landry is also odd.
The bottom line is I woke up this morning, checked up on my favorite TV show online, and am now going to bed realizing again why I'm so committed to this franchise. It's all about SG-1, and it's all about Jack, Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c. Atlantis is just the peanut gallery.
Hey Joe i just saw a sweet little scene between Sam and Teal'c from the episode Reunion.Their friendship between the two of them is so deep. I really loved the scene. When i watched it i almost cry. I was so sweet!!! Even though she didn't mention Jack, i thought it was a shippy scene!!what do you think?
From first cut to final cut, how many hands does a single episode get passed to during the editing process?
A little scifi. A little horror. Some comedy. A little touch of WTF?!
>> Sounds like a winner!
Failing that, two years from now make sure to check your town papers as I could be doing selected readings from my scripts at a local library near you.
>> I'll be there to cheer you on! Do you ever do script readings though (like The Cold Reading Series, etc.?)?
Annnd thanks for answering my question in Infernal Affairs VS The Departed. I, too, agree that the original was much better. Side Question: Ever seen Infernal Affairs 2 and Infernal Affairs 3?
The other day you said Fondy's phone rang at 6:00 am and you thought the worst. Well, my cell just so happened to ring the other night too. Instead of being worried, I thought, "Who the f*** is calling me?" The number was restricted so I didn't even bother picking up. I'm thinking that wasn't very good behavior on my part. Oh well.
Thanks for answering!
Am I to take that as a no? Not that I was expecting much else. My next question will be something more realistic.
Will we learn anything else about Rodney's childhood in Season 4, besides in Doppleganger? Are you not allowed to tell?
I have recently become addicted to Moonlight, which, unfortunately airs at the same time as Stargate. But, lest you think I'm horrible, I watch Stargate live any chance I get (I don't have the Sci Fi channel) and I record Moonlight. But have you seen it yet? Was that one of the ones that you and Fondy started watching?
Are you not giving out the ratings anymore?
So i have started the process of filling out scholarship and grant applications to fund my soon to be burgeoning schedule of grueling science and math course with an occasional yoga, and kayaking course tossed in this winter. The essay writing is only slightly more tedious than filing your taxes or going to get a dental filing. Any tips for an aspiring (non)writer?
Looking forward to tomorrow night! w00t!
On the discs...one shows +1:09 over and the other shows +4:05...is this where you come in and cut the episode to within the required time limits?
1.)How were the ratings for Lifeline? I hope they were good, it was an amazing episode.
2.)Why haven't there been any previews of The Ark of Truth or Continuum that actually contain footage from it?
3.)Any funny, "Window of Opportunity" style episodes in Atlantis's future?
4.)Why doesn't Teal'c have an afro?
Just came across this on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Special-Edition-Stargate-Atlantis-Ipod-Nano-2GB-Silver_W0QQitemZ180167498843QQihZ008QQcategoryZ125478QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Did you end up getting one of these? Or did you miss out on the cool swag?
Man, I want the US to recognize Boxing Day! Can one get challenged for an item that they "won" off of someone else, or can you only get challenged for items that you actually purchased? Is it "no holds barred" boxing, or are there strict rules involved? Do you get extra points if you win a boxing match when the booty involved is an actual box? Are friendships often broken on this day or is there a general feeling of "'Tis a fair trial" amongst all the populace?
So there's going to be a new ship then? - Pheonix
Thanks for answering my questions!
Reunion is on tomorrow night right? Where are the video clips that are being mentioned coming from?
Please answer my questions. 1) How much time is supposed to have elapsed between Unending and Adrift? 2) Did you add the scene back into Trio? 3) Did you ever plan on [or are planning on] pairing Ronon Dex and Elizabeth Weir?
Thanks!
Tanya said...
Hey Joe i just saw a sweet little scene between Sam and Teal'c from the episode Reunion.Their friendship between the two of them is so deep. I really loved the scene. When i watched it i almost cry. I was so sweet!!! Even though she didn't mention Jack, i thought it was a shippy scene!!what do you think?
It was shippy! But Sam/Teal'c shippy especially in view of Unending! I find it disgusting that Jack was sent off to Washington so easily and almost forgotten whereas Sam and Teal'c get an almost lovers-like goodbye scene "Promise me you'll visit" - Bleah...
After almost 30 years, I still have yet to get cavity.
I WIN AT DENTAL HEALTH!
Joe, I think I might have to try the Canadian Boxing Day tradition this year. Your description of it made me laugh so much!
Is there a particular order to which episodes get finished first? (I'm assuming it would have something to do with when they are scheduled to air). What is the development process for an episode from editing to airing?
I admire your courage at trying this extremely bizarre chocolates.
Do you have a favorite strange combination?
Hello Joe,
is it a bad sign that you haven't even mentioned anything about the Lifeline ratings? That bad? Or have I missed it?
Yep. On this day, anyone in Canada is allowed to choose one person exiting a store and challenge him/her to a boxing match for an item they just purchased. An individual can only be challenged once for a particular purchased item, although they may technically be challenged numerous times (this is wholly dependent on how many items they have purchased). Last year, I won a Nintendo Wii from my 87 year old neighbor. She had me on the ropes in the second and third round, but I ended up winning a TKO in the eighth. Sweet, sweet victory.
This is exactly how it works in Britain too; last year I got three skateboards, a HD TV and, in a fit of insanity, a turkey.
Might I suggest teaming up with Fondy? If you keep track of who gets what, you could challenge someone one after the other and that way you both have more energy to get more than one OAP.
Hey! Just discovered your blog today and am loving it!!! Wanted to let you know that while I was scanning YouTube for some much needed Stargate SG-1 tributes and music videos, I found one that I think you would really appreciate. It's an SG-1 tribute to Avril Lavigne's When You're Gone. The song totally fits. It brought tears to my eyes. (link to the video below). I also wanted to let you know that I love listening to your commentaries on the SG-1 dvds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_mCeZe4GE4
*looks at third picture down*
*salivates*
Those discs are more mouth-watering than the chocolate! :D
Susan the Tartan Turtle writes: “Does Fondy sell cat outfits too?”
Answer: Yup.
:lol: Does she also sell protective body armour for the cat owner trying to put outfits on their feline companion?
Es ce que weir apparaitra dans the last man?
so joe whats the chances of them disks falling into i donno my hands or even a box of chocolates that iam eatin?? :P hope you have dental from work cause dentist are super expensive.
Dustin
But the shops are not open here on Boxing Day. Here being Australia. Well in my city anyway. Oh well have to box the kids for their toys.
Susan the Tartan Turtle writes: “Does Fondy sell cat outfits too?”
Answer: Yup.
Does Fondy sell instructions on how to put the cat outfits on the cats and, perhaps, first-aid kits too?
:-)
I feel your pain with the dentist-though I don't go out for chocolate afterwards.
But two questions for you: When you go out to a restaurant is it always better to make a reservation or just take a chance on getting a seat? (1 person here)
And on chocolate bars-prefer thick or thin-like?
And still waiting on the autograph. :)
Dang, Joe. I think you need to find a witch doctor to take that dental curse off of you.
Hope it's all feeling better today.
And where is everyone finding this scene? Must see.
No. Must wait. Be patient. Watch tonight. :)
Joe, I received the box set of all 10 seasons of SG1 yesterday via my Amazon purchase and the lovely people o DHL. What an incredible package! Every episode of Stargate SG1 in one place, and anytime I get the urge to see any particular episode there it is, as easy as 1-2-3. And the price is great too, I paid $230, $23 a season!
Now I am trying to think of something grand to do with my 10 individual box sets of SG1 I've purchased through the years. Should I save them as backups? Donate them to needy, gift them to a friend who has never seen Stargate? Perhaps offer them as a prize on my XtremeCamera website...Any advice on what I should do with them? (I'm leaning on gifting them to someone, but I would need to gift them to someone who I suspect would fall in love with the series.) Any help here would be much appreciated.
Emily, About the closest thing to "boxing" day is Wal-Mart's "Blitz" which is the day after Thanksgiving. Been there, worked it, probably don't want to do it again.
Hey again Mr. M! I disappeared for 2 weeks travelling the australian outback, so no recent spam from me :)
'Twas my birthday today! I thought you might like to know I celebrated by spending big on expensive and rare chocolates at Mrs. Maude's Fine Chocolates. Do you have that shop where you live?
I would like to say one thing, and as a special request (for my Bday!), I would like you to pass this on to as many people in the Atlantis team as possible- "EXCELLENT work on Season 4 Episodes 1 and 2!!! The Atlantis team has outdone themselves ten-fold! Congratulations on the best stargate episodes ever! Courtesy of a dedicated and loving fan. Keep it coming!"
Whatever :)
Enjoy your day!
J.M. said: To be honest, I’m not a fan of the continuous interruptions by the historian-translator. While I accept the fantasy that this is an actual historical document - and given the fact that, as a student of history and having read plenty of historical documents, it’s a biiig stretch - it actually makes the suspension of belief all that more difficult every time I am pulled out of the narrative.
See, that’s what I thought! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the interruptions are bordering on infuriating. Normally I love those little deviations into the “real world” but in this case, it’s not adding anything to the story, just detracting from the atmosphere and making it so much more difficult to retain the suspension of disbelief (as someone who likes history herself, the constant reminders that it’s an alternate history are very distracting) Maybe the author thought that having the B-story would help break up the heaviness of the main plot – I just hope that there is some resolution to the question of “Why the blazes did she use this set-up?”. But yes…huzzah! Someone agrees with me!
I am hugely envious of the sushi! And the chocolate – but seeing as I'm trying to be a good girl and NOT eat badly…sushi is definitely the thing I'm wanting right now. As long as it’s not too expensive (please reassure me off that!!), I may have to pop along to Phat myself when I get to Vancouver next year – after nearly a decade of wanting to visit, finally!
Have you read "The Misplaced Legion" and it's sequels by Harry Turtledove? They're quite fun...and have just enough politics/sceming to keep up with to make it interesting - least, I think so!
*pouts* I wanna work in production now...all those lovely cuts to check out...*sigh*
Won't say enjoy the chocolate and viewing - coz you probably all ready have!! *grin*
Laterz
Dreams
What's your showrunner skills like? More like Brad Wright's or Rob Cooper's?
1) Will certain preconceptions about both the Wraith and the Replicators be slashed this season?
2) Are there any emotional revelations this season?
I was reading Hamlet yesterday, and something striked me... In the famous tirade "to be or not to be" are mentionned the words "This mortal coil" and "Be all my sins remembered"...
Is that a mere coincidence ?
Vive les Unas
My condolences at having to have dental work done. lol
Been suffering with the cold from hades, so to speak so haven't been particularly energetic to keep up with things.
So I see from Twitter that Hewlett 2.0 has arrived. Have you had a chance to see the little guy yet?
♡ ಌ ♡ ಌ ♡ ಌ ♡ ಌ ♡ ಌ ♡ ಌ ♡ ಌ ♡ ಌ
Salut Joseph =)=)
Merci pour la video! les décors sont magnifiques!!!
Superbe les photos! =)
Ahhh je suis heureuse! c'est enfin le week end! =)
Outch, je n'aime pas le dentiste! J'ai eu plein de plombage en plus=(
Dans 4 jours c'est votre anniversaire!!!
Mes questions:
1)Vous regarder beaucoup la TV?
2)Si vous viveriez sur la Cité d'atlantis, quel fonctions voudriez vous avoir??
3)Quel alcool préférez vous???
Merci, Gros bisou, passez une bonne journée =) a demain! I love you lol!! XD
♡ ಌ ♡ ಌ ♡ ಌ ♡ ಌ ♡ ಌ ♡ ಌ ♡ ಌ ♡ ಌ
Hi Joe
Like your take on Boxing DAy.. Your idea would make shopping even more exciting!! I can picture you and Mike Tyson in a match.. Of Course his taste is more into ears rather than chocolate.
Take care
Dori
I'm continually finding the delightful chocolate finds you share so very tempting. However, as this fellow chocolate lover lives down South, would you happen to know if any of your favorite shops do mail deliveries to the States? And if so, which might you recommend as a first try? Thanks!
Failing that, two years from now make sure to check your town papers as I could be doing selected readings from my scripts at a local library near you.
You're welcome to join The Black Tower's production team, Joe. A few of Stargate's writers, actors and below-the-line talent have already contacted me about job openings in the months/years ahead. Naturally, I hope Atlantis continues for several more years. But if it gets the axe, call me, babe. :-)
Anonymous said...
But the shops are not open here on Boxing Day. Here being Australia. Well in my city anyway. Oh well have to box the kids for their toys.
October 12, 2007 12:57:00 AM PDT
Live in Queensland, by any chance?
Brisbane closes on weekends, doesn't it? Or is that Adelaide?
For everyone anxiously awaiting the ratings for "Adrift," I found the following in Friday's Washington Post: "C3 is the new currency for selling shows to advertisers. It's the average number of people watching the commerical breaks in a given series live or up to three days after it's broadcast, via DVR." The article goes on to say that, "Broadcasters are still waiting for C3 stats on the first week of the TV season." Sadly , the article gives no hint as to when those stats will be released.
I noticed you said a couple of days ago (sorry, I'm a bit behind!) of Journeyman: "love the premise but kind of wish the individual episode stakes would be higher". That's one of the things I like about that show! Individual lives are high stakes to me. Then when an episode does come along with even bigger stakes, it will be a surprise (unless the previews ruin it all, of course). Until then, I'm happy with the smart writing, attention to details, and involving characters.
Doesn't Jack have a line something like, "It's always save the universe this, save the galaxy that--doesn't anyone just drop by to say hi anymore?"
Though I suppose I've just dropped by to say hi, and looking forward to "Reunion" tonight....
Fargate One writes: “who created Vala Mal Doran character?”
Answer: Robert C. Cooper.
oh. so he's the one to blame! just kidding.
also:
A) those chocolates look expensive.
B) bummer about your tooth. why do they put whole peppercorns in food anyway?
Here's something I've been wondering about, Joe. Considering Carter becomes commander of Atlantis, she apparently has no pressing Earth duties to take care of. Does the fourth season of SGA timeline-wise, then, take place after Continuum and Ark of Truth?
Silly me. I thought "Reunion" was to feature Ronan and the SGA team. However, GW is running a video of a scene from "Reunion" between Carter and Teal'c -- two of my least liked characters from a show I rarely cared to watch. Joe promised that Carter would not overshadow the other SGA characters, but I'm beginning to have my doubts. Either that, or not all of TPTB got the same memo?
"I returned home to find three discs sitting in my mailbox: a director’s cut of Outcast, a director’s cut of The Last Man, and a finished version of The Seer. The only one that couldn’t wait was the Product Cut A of Outcast…which wasn’t in my box. "
Ye gods and little fishes! They were just MAILED to you, without a signature required? I hope they were in a plain envelope, at least!
*concerned about piracy*
Just thought I'd let you know, that I steered some "hookers" to your website :) These woulbe be crocheters.....We share a love of crochet and Stargate. Can't wait to see the ep tonight.
Mr M,
Just picked up the SG-1 Complete Series set after being foiled on getting it last night. WOW. There are a few times in life where the hype of something is so vast and the experience exceeds the hype. (Firefly being a big one). I knew the set was going to be awesome, but I didn't expect it to be this rewarding and to be this enthusiastic about having it and exploring it. It's awesome. It's truly a treat for fans, I'm already looking forward to re-watching every episode.
So... that being said, do you know if you'll be doing commentary on This Mortal Coil for Atlantis S4DVD?
Anonymous said:
You and the other producers must know that Scifi canceled the wrong show. It's an SG-1 scene, with SG-1 characters, at the SGC. And it's beautiful.
It's all about SG-1, and it's all about Jack, Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c. Atlantis is just the peanut gallery.
It's nice that YOU feel that way, but I completely disagree. SG-1 had ten years on television, which is a heck of a lot more than most shows these days. I love Atlantis -- season 3 was mostly fabulous and season 4 is getting off to a great start. I am more invested in Atlantis than I ever was in SG-1 -- so don't assume you are talking for some vast majority of fans. A lot of us like Atlantis just fine.
K
Oh well, if we're going to go and stir things up . . .
If SG1 is taking over SGA anyway, can we have an "SGB"? Shep and Vala as booty, make that, bounty hunters turned loose in the Lavin, er, Lucian Alliance?
I saw the video clip from Reunion that's on Yahoo TV. Is it suppose to come across as 'oh, how nice, one of Sam's friends is saying good-bye'? It didn't. It seemed more like she was being sent to Atlantis against her will.
humph, well, not to point fingers or anything, but a certain anonymous someone at the top of this comments page really needs to get off their high horse.
still sad, as i will not be able to watch reunion tonight, and i missed lifeline too... BUT i am recording reunion, good old-fashioned evilly confuzzling VCR style. one more month until i get DVR. thats what i have to keep telling myself. :)
Someone i can't remember who said: And where is everyone finding this scene? Must see.
i think it's on yahoo but i found the link on gateworld, tho i have yet to see it so no recommedation or anything. :)
The bottom line is I woke up this morning, checked up on my favorite TV show online, and am now going to bed realizing again why I'm so committed to this franchise. It's all about SG-1, and it's all about Jack, Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c. Atlantis is just the peanut gallery.
Gee, way to make the SG1 fans popular with SGA fans! You want to try a little sensitivity, there?
Me, I like both shows but I have to say I would have preferred to keep them more separate - never been much of a Carter fan, so she would have been my last choice as Atlantis' Worf but I guess availability is the key, all of the other SG1 guys seem pretty busy with new projects (or in Claudia's case new bub).
I like the Yahoo clip, though yeah, I agree some SGA characters would have been a better choice. Still, was the T-man ever thinking about those hot and steamy 50 years marooned with Samantha? You could see it in the big guy's face. Yep, I think her work there is unfinished.
Just watching BBC news they are running a news story that Simon Pegg (British comic,Hot Fuzz star) has got the part of Scotty in the new Star Trek movie. I think that Paul McGillion would have made a much better and believable Scotty. I feel another campaign coming on!
Pauline
Post a Comment