Among the handful of story ideas I brought to the table when we first started spinning season four, was one involving Ronon and his bittersweet Reunion with friends long-thought dead. It was a story about life’s choices, going back or moving forward, as Ronon is faced with a gut-wrenching decision between the established loyalties of the past and the developing friendships of the present. That was the A story. The B story involved Carter assuming command of the Atlantis expedition. And the more I thought about this episode, the more it became obvious to me that there were definite parallels between the two stories. On the one hand, you had Ronon struggling to choose between the new life he has built on Atlantis and the life he left behind on Sateda. On the other hand, you have Carter who has made the decision to leave the life she built for herself at the SGC to travel to the Pegasus Galaxy and start a new life on Atlantis. In the case of Ronon, this is easy enough to convey through his scenes with his fellow Satedans at first, and, later, with his buddies on Atlantis. In Carter’s case, however, I felt it would be unsatisfying to simply have her step through the gate and onto Atlantis fait accompli. We needed to see her leave what she knew behind and so, I thought a goodbye at the SGC would be appropriate. Of course having all of SG-1 and O’Neill there would have been great - but prohibitively expensive given that they would only be appearing in the one scene. And so, I elected to go with one member of SG-1 to represent the team and her past. I chose Teal’c. I picked up the phone and called up Chris Judge. Because it was a very brief scene, the production was only prepared to pay a nominal fee, so I was ready to give Chris the big pitch. But I didn’t have to. Before I could even get into it, he responded: “Sure, whatever you guys need.” I was so impressed that, right then and there, I vowed we would bring Teal’c back for a real non-nominal-fee appearance in the back half of the season. But that’s a story for another time - or, more specifically, when Midway air.
When I finished the script, and even after viewing the finished episode, I was a little anxious because, unlike the preceding two episodes - Adrift and Lifeline - which were almost non-stop action, Reunion is more of a slow burn. When the action does kick in, it is fast and furious, boasting some of the best fight sequences we’ve ever done (kudos to Bam Bam, Jason M., and guest star Mark Dacoscas for doing such a brilliant job), but the lead up is all about Ronon and the bonds he has formed (with his fellow Satedans, with Teyla, with Sheppard, with Atlantis in general) and, to a somewhat lesser extent, Carter and the relationships she is developing (with McKay, with Sheppard, with Atlantis in general) - and, of course, the relationship between Ronon and Carter - which gets off to a decidedly rocky start.
There’s something for everyone in this episode - action, humor, big arc implications - but I think it will hold particular appeal to those fans looking for a little insight into our characters and the friendships that have developed (and are still developing) over time. I could be wrong - and if I am, I’m sure you’ll let me know.
Oh, and to those of you asking about Lifeline ratings - I only have the raw number and, as was the case with Adrift, I say it would be irresponsible of me to reveal that until the DVR+3 comes out to make it an official rating. To those of you complaining that I released the number of Adrift on the Monday following the premiere - check again. When people asked back then, I said the same thing. I’m waiting for that frustratingly elusive DVR+3 which, I’ve been told, will honestly-truly-this-is-for-real finally be available next Monday or Tuesday. Seriously. It takes a weekend to figure out the same-day DVR numbers but almost 3 weeks to figure out a 3 day DVR number. Seriously! Are the results being hand-tabulated? Is it time for Neilsen Media Research to splurge on a computer upgrade? Scrap those Commodore 64’s for a brand spanking new VAIO’s or MAC? I’m starting up a collection.
Today’s pics: Oh, this and that.
Today’s video: Click on the date to take a stroll through the Phoenix.
Today’s mailbag:
Charles Schneider writes: “From first cut to final cut, how many hands does a single episode get passed to during the editing process?”
Answer: Too many to count but if I had to give you a number, I’d say approximately a lot.
Vikitty writes: “Ever seen Infernal Affairs 2 and Infernal Affairs 3?”
Answer: I haven’t yet, but own copies of both.
Julie Ann writes: “I have recently become addicted to Moonlight […] But have you seen it yet? Was that one of the ones that you and Fondy started watching?”
Answer: Yep. We checked out all of the new shows.
Anonymous #1 writes: “Are you not giving out the ratings anymore?”
Answer: I have yet to give out any ratings for season four.
Muah! writes: “Any tips for an aspiring (non)writer?”
Answer: Push yourself to write if you have to. Even the best of writers do.
AmberMoon writes: “On the discs...one shows +1:09 over and the other shows +4:05...is this where you come in and cut the episode to within the required time limits?”
Answer: Yes it is.
Amz writes: “Is there a particular order to which episodes get finished first?”
Answer: Preferably, they would get finished in their air order - but that’s not always the case. Episodes are shot out of sequence, delaying some, moving others up, and the amount of visual effects in a given episode may also dictate delivery.
Amz also writes: “ What is the development process for an episode from editing to airing?”
Answer: In broad strokes: Editor’s cut - Director’s cut - Producer’s cut A - Producer’s Cut 1 - Day 1 Mix - Day 2 Mix - Final.
Di writes: “Do you have a favorite strange combination?”
Answer: I’m kind of partial to the dark chocolate coffee plum with caramelized bacon.
Amy Lynn writes: “When you go out to a restaurant is it always better to make a reservation or just take a chance on getting a seat?”
Answer: Reservations are always your best bet if the place is popular. BTW - did you get it yet?
Atlantisfannew1 a ecrit: “1)Vous regarder beaucoup la TV? 2)Si vous viveriez sur la Cité d'atlantis, quel fonctions voudriez vous avoir?? 3)Quel alcool préférez vous???”
Reponses: 1) Oui, mais pas autant que la plupart des gens. 2) Chef. 3) J’aime l’avokaat.
Michelle Lunsord writes: “would you happen to know if any of your favorite shops do mail deliveries to the States?”
Answer: Sorry, I don’t. But you could try Chocoatl.
Anonymous #2 writes: “Joe promised that Carter would not overshadow the other SGA characters, but I'm beginning to have my doubts. Either that, or not all of TPTB got the same memo?”
Answer: Maybe you should watch the episode or, better yet, the fourth season, before you start complaining about Carter overshadowing the standing team. Just a thought.

114 comments:
Joe,
I have been reading your blog for some time now, and have greatly enjoyed it. I can always count on your to bring a smile to my face. Knowing what a chocolate lover you are, I saw this article and thought I'd share it with you. What will scientists want to study next I ask??? ;-)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071012/ap_on_he_me/diet_chocolate_craving
Joe,
Could you please post translations of the French questions/answers, for those English-speaking readers? I speak enough Spanish that I can sometimes get the general gist, but I always feel like I'm missing out on something cool.
Hi Joe!
My family has a question for you. After watching "Adrift", "Lifeline", and seeing the picture of Ronon's bloody face in "Reunion", we were wondering what's up with the fake blood? Seriously, the blood used to be a lot more realistic. Now it looks like red finger paint. (No offense.) Is there some new TV rule that your blood can't be scary or something?
I have a question for you, too. (It's probably a spoiler, but it can't hurt to try. :D) From that oh-so-gross wraith ultrasound picture, I gather that the wraith are interested in Teyla's pregnancy. Why would that be?
Joe,
I just realized that the link did not appear fully on the comments. Sorry about that. The missing portion of the link is:
diet_chocolate_craving
The art you posted today looks great. Can't wait to see what it looks like when it comes to air. In the sci-fi world the art department really has a tough job and the stuff they come up with is amazing. Do they split up in to teams to cover more episodes or is it the same people doing everything?
Ack. I'm sickening Joe... and just in time for the weekend! :( After a stressful week I think my immune system is viewing the two day holiday from the office as a welcome ceasefire and has lain down arms...
How about bestowing one of your sympathetic blog dedications on me as I pass my weekend sneezing and coughing and knocking back the Lemsip like it was going out of fashion? *whimpers pitifully*
http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=47754
i know no one on gateworld agrees with this person that said that he thinks the term "chewie" used for Jason Momoa/Ronon is racist to hawaians..
where did the whole chewie thing come from anyway?
and yeah like i said, everyone thinks it isnt.
if you are bored take a few minutes on that thread
One, does Teyla give birth during the season?
Does Atlantis deal with global warming in The Last Man, or is it a different planet?
Does Teyla have a normal baby? Please?
I'm not surprised Chris Judge was willing to come back for said nominal fee. I was really surprised when I saw him crying during the wrap-up of SG1, so it's obvious the show meant a lot more to him than just a paycheck.
I'm sooo catching tonights ep. after I get these discovery docs out!
Hey Joe
Question, if you guys get cancelled for a season five, what about the lose ends? I can only think of three, Carter(she is in what 14 episodes right?) Teyla's baby, and Mike(Michael), not to mention the pairings and such, along with what happened to Weir.(is there a follow up to that?)
How will you guys work around that? in a movie?(or three?)
also do you like Dove Chocolates? you know the bite sized ones with those little messages in the wrappers? (McKay gets those ALL THE TIME from Earth on the Daedy in the mail, I snagged a few for me and Teyla in her room)
me again, how's Rachel doing? heck How's EVERYBODY doing? Also your Earth doctors knoqw how to take a kitty apart... darned dogs gave me a broken tail!
winged pegasus: say what?! what ultrasound?
oh, now i get it. i guess looking at the pictures might have been a good idea... :) so what is up with the ultrasound? why on earth...
Do you have a favorite suit-maker/brand? Bespoke or made-to-fit? I've always been partial to Ermenegildo Zegna. Same goes for their ties too.
Bonsoir,
Toujours intéressant ton blog. Si j'ai bien compris, tu es producteur et scénariste. As-tu déjà pensé à écrire un roman ? Et si oui, de quel genre ? Bonne fin de semaine à l'autre bout du Canada.
I thought advertisers had recently balked at inflating numbers by bringing in other sources and airings. Could've sworn I read that Nielsen was now getting flak about starting that up.
*cough* Mark "Dacascos" *cough* ;)
Wow, Great looking concept art! Looking forward to seeing Atlantis in a desert-like CGI setting.
Hey Mr.Mallozzi!
I'm an original Stargate fan all the way back to the original movie. Have always watched both shows. I'm very excited for the rest of Season 4 of Atlantis. Season 5 needs to happen! Question: I've seen what you've been giving out recently about the season finale. Does Season 4's season finale have an open ending that would be continued in a Season 5 premiere ala 'First Strike'?
Anonymous said...
Where did the whole Chewie thing come from anyway?
If I’m correct it’s from Star Wars.
Chewbacca (Chewie) is a Wookiee and first mate of the Millennium Falcon.
I’m sure it’s not meant as a derogatory term to anyone. Although Chewie is tall and hairy! Sound like anyone we know?
Pauline
Thanks for the update on when we can expect to hear about the ratings. I'll ask one more question about them and then shut up: Is there a particular minimum number that will make TPTB want to give us a fifth season?
Also, I appreciated your explaining how the Carter/Teal'c scene came to be. As the years went on, Teal'c became my favorite SG-1 character. Chris Judge has been consistently wonderful in portraying this unique character. If you have a chance, tell Chris that Anonymous (I'm very shy) in Maryland is a Teal'c freak and that "The Changeling" is her favorite episode.
It sounds like Reunion will be an episode for me. One of the things I love about tv shows is the opportunity to develop characters and have a mix of character and action driven episodes.
And I have more questions about the development process (I really appreciate your insights). Is there a reason the producer's cuts are called "Producer’s cut A" and "Producer’s Cut 1" (why not "A" and "B" or "1" and "2")? And what is the difference between the Day 1 Mix and Day 2 Mix?
For those fans that think the video from Yahoo of Carter leaving the SGC and SG-1 behind to go to Atlantis is showing her taking over, what are you smoking or drinking??? I'm a SGA-only fan who is not too keen with Weir leaving and Carter coming over, but I will at least wait and see until the first half of the season has aired. It is part of the B story and not the A story that is ALL about the Atlantis team and Ronon in particular. I believe the Carter/Teal'c clip was released to Yahoo to try and get the SG-1 only fans who haven't tuned into SGA yet, to do so. A marketing ploy through and through, so just relax and watch the episode first before flying off the handle!
Its been a few days since last checked the blog but "ship" is relationship and where I grew up in England we had duckapple or what you might call bobbing for apples and Jack-o-lanterns on Halloween
Hi Joe You said
Of course having all of SG-1 and O’Neill there would have been great - but prohibitively expensive given that they would only be appearing in the one scene. And so, I elected to go with one member of SG-1 to represent the team and her past. I chose Teal’c.
Why not Jack? Is Teal'c more important to Sam than Jack? Did you at least try to get Rick?
Hi Joe: Do people at bridge Studios tell Stargate jokes or is that just your crazy fans who do that? I am compiling some Stargate jokes and thought I would share my latest attempt:
Jay Felger has just moved to Colorado Springs to work at the Stargate Program. One day, his buddy, Simon Coombs, watches a news report of a guy driving the wrong way on the expressway. He calls Felger to tell him about the interesting news report and gets Felger on his cell. "Hey Jay, did you know there's one guy driving the wrong way on the expressway?" Felger responds, "It's not just one, there's a whole lot of people driving the wrong way!!!"
So, Joe, how about a Stargate joke competition? The funniest one, judged by you and/or a group of your peers, wins a year's supply of Mallozzi snark, or some other cool prize?
Patricia
I have to ask. Who's idea was it to get Iron Chef's Chairman
Sorry, I have no idea who Chris Judge is or who his character is. I gather he is from SG1, which I am apologetically not a fan of. Never the less, kudos to him for appearing for just a nominal fee.
Sateda was an absolutely amazing episode! I liked the way you brought Carter in. It was how I imagined it should be-- with her having difficulty leaving SG-1.
I hope to see Teyla and Carter talking with each other sometime soon.
Was this episode shot differently? It looked more like the SG-1 episodes.
Regarding Reunion, the fast-paced fighting between Ronon and his friends again made me think back to the JL/JLU episode where Superman doesn't hold back in his battle with Darkseid. It made me wonder how much Ronon holds back when he's fighting Teyla or Sheppard, even more-so last when he was trying to teach McKay how to fight (or at least defend).
I loved the action and the plot, so kudos. It was also cool to see Radek going out off-world to help the rest of the team.
I was wondering, could the Wraith, in theory, shut off the attack code in the Replicators and instead re-write or install a new base code that would have the Replicators attack Atlantis and/or go after Earth? Maybe even have the Replicators help them advance their technology to the
point where needing Atlantis's Stargate would be (almost)unnecessary in order to get to Earth or at the very least be able to detect cloaked jumpers?
Just finished watching 'Reunion' and thought I'd tell you that I really enjoyed it. I personally think it'd be odd to send Carter over to Atlantis with nary a goodbye or mention thereof. I personally would have preferred Daniel over Teal'c, but I fully acknowledge that that's only because I'm a Daniel-girl. That said, I think it was a lovely scene between Carter and Teal'c. For a minute I was taken aback by Teal'c's grey hair, but then I remembered that he aged quite a bit in 'Unending.' Nice touch, keeping with the continuity and all.
Should Carter really be going on missions since she's now head of Atlantis? Don't the head peeps usually stay all safe and tidy in their offices? Not that I'm complaining...it's nice to see Carter kicking some ass.
A question for anyone: What percentage of Stargate fans do you think are A)Fans of SG1 B)Fans of SGA and C)Fans of both? It seems to me that the percentage for fans of strictly SGA would be the lowest (being as it is the spin-off show as opposed to the 'original'...you know, if you don't like the original why would you tune in to the spin-off?), but I'm often surprised at how many people seem to watch SGA and have a thing against SG1. Not that I have a problem with that--hey, like what you like and watch what you want, but I just find it interesting.
Dear Joe,
You outdid yourself with Reunion. As you so eloquently stated in the storyline, every day we face life changing decisions.
You told an excellent story, taught superior lessons and reminded those who would pay attention that challenges, indeed, are victories in the making.
Excellent episode.
Job, as usual, well done. Blessings, LadyConure
Just wanted to say "thank You" for Reunion. Nice character development in many ways IMHO. Another home run for season 4!
A question please...what's with the wrist band that Shephard always wears??
Really enjoyed Reunion and it was a blast seeing Sam Carter kicking butt again. Sam's scenes with Ronon were especially cool. That was two characters I never imagined seeing in a scene together let alone having a conversation. They will obviously have an interesting dynamic this season.
Thanks for a fun episode!
Reunion was terrific. I knew Ronon wouldn't leave Atlantis in the end, of course, but I wondered how you'd work it. I confess, I didn't see that particular scenario coming.
Great job. Can't wait for the next one.
Joe...
Reunion was brilliant. The show is just getting better and better.
Oh and guess what? My folks, who kind of liked SG-1 years ago (ending sometime around the beginning of Season 7), are now brand new Atlantis fans.
I made them watch Adrift, to which they groused at my urgings, prompted them about Lifeline, to which I got no argument at all and gently reminded them about Reunion, to which they asked questions about Ronon, Teyla and the rest of the team.
Better and better. :)
Dude, I was totally coming over here to say that I really appreciated the parallel betwen Carter's coming to a new home and Ronon trying to, in essence go back to his old, and you already covered that in your post! Way to steal my thunder! :P
Tell Jason he was awesome, not just with the fighting (which rocked mightily), but the angst! His facial expressions, especially in that last sequence with the other Satedans, really broke my heart. (Yes, this is a Very Good Thing.)
Kudos to Chris Judge, too, for being such a good sport about coming back!
I totally ripped apart the first two eps of Moonlight for Tart -- and yet I'm finding myself addicted to it somehow, and am really looking forward to next week's ep. I was looking forward to this week's too, really (and thankfully it wasn't remotely as flawed, logistically speaking, as last week's was). I can't figure it out. Are subliminal messages making me want to watch? Or perhaps I am far too drawn to the beautiful Sophia Miles, aka The Girl in the Fireplace, for my own good. I wish they'd let her keep her accent. Oh, I know: it's that I am just that badly addicted to angst and hurt/comfort! I adored the final scene last week with the big reveal, the staking scene this week, and am dying to see the oh-so-spoilery bathtub scene they showed in the promo for next ep ...
"I have yet to give out any ratings for season four."
What was the 1.2 for Adrift then?
Hey, Joe, I've been meaning to ask you... what are the team designations for Atlantis? I mean, the SGC has SG-1, SG-2, etc. Do the Atlantis teams have names??
Joe, I absolutely loved "Reunion!" Thanks for the great Teyla moments at the beginning and throughout the rest of the episode. Thanks for the great team moments in general, I really loved it all! The action scenes were excellent - GREAT work by all those involved.
S4's looking great so far! Keep it up!
Please answer my question. Does Carter meet the Wraith from Common Ground in The Seer? Thanks!
Joe...thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Carter unpacking...nice camera shot on the contents of the blue bin. And that's the one she keeps in her quarters. Happy now. Or at least, content. Still waiting for more, but that'll do for now. Love your subtle surprises. Hope there are more!
I googled Chocoatl, but their official website isn't interactive yet. By any chance do you know if they have an email address so I can attempt to place an order to the states? Thanks!!!
I thought Reunion was great tonight :) My favorite part was Tealc's goodbye to Carter. And I was able to watch it live, yay!
Oh and a big congrats to William Waring for getting that pineapple in the ep. ;)
Come on, Joe. Please, please don't make Carter look like a terrible leader on Atlantis this year. What kind of a decision was it to have the new commander of Atlantis go offworld on an extremely dangerous rescue mission on her first episode? There's no way that she should have stepped off of the base. And you know it. It was total tv fanwanking, and it's just more fodder for those people who proclaim that Carter can't lead. Well, if you have her keep making decisions like this, then they'll be right. Damn. Right now I wish you'd have just left the character alone and let Brad and Rob continue on with her in the movies.
One Mortified Carter Fan
Joe,
just wanted to let you know that i really, really enjoyed Reunion. I really like the interaction with the guest stars, they were really good. I also really like how it doesn't really seem that everything is not focused on Carter the whole time. you guys did a really good job with the plot twist with Ronan's friends, we did not see that coming. I thought the were going to be another type of Ford and his Lost Boys, but it was a really good twist.
thanks again
BN
"Reunion" was pretty good. Quibble though. In "Hot Zone," I'm pretty sure it was pointed out that Radek didn't have the gene naturally and the gene therapy didn't work on him, yet in "Reunion," it looks like he's using Ancient tech...
Great strong character episode. i was convinced that Carter would have kept Ronan on Atlantis is push came to shove, regardless of her telling him otherwise. Now I feel sorry for i'm after his friends became traitors to what he believes. Any long term consequences on his behaviour because of this?
How much of Joe Flanigan's ideas about Shep's backstory were incorporated into the final script for Outcast? Between 0% - 100%?
Bacon and chocolate...yeah I don't know about that. Or is it that the bacon is so caramelized it doesn't even taste like bacon anymore?
Loved the episode tonight! and I agree, you have to show carter's strugle to leave her life and friends behind, It's not an easy thing to do.
Hubby liked Ronons friends, reminded him of the 3 cryptonian supervillans.
He has a question:
*he types*
How come the guy at the beginning who asked about Teyla and the arranged marriage just ASSUMED that she wasn't with Ronon? I mean...if this Hot Chick in leather(wife gives evil eye) rolls into town with this huge dude in leather...I would assume a few things....either way...that guy has some guts to make a move on Teyla in such a situation. Props to that guy. SMOOTH operator.
*husband ends typing*
*Di types*
OKay.... well back to the commenting.
I really liked the charcater bits a lot, Sheppard's non conversation on the cafeteria, Teyla's way of getting Ronon to fess up about what was going on with him during sparing
*husband says: Nice potatoe sack pants Ronon!*
I thought Rodney was hilariouse in Carter's quarter,got a laugh at Sheppards sneekiness with the fruit, I love that about those two.
I guess what I'm saying is I liked the episode a lot and I'm really enjoying this new season.
Little critic, there was something really odd happening on the fighting scene at the tavern with teyla, kind of looks like they speeded up that a bit too much, shame because the fighting scenes where awesome all through out the show.
Ratings Question: If I watched Reunion live tonight as I was DVR recording it, and then watch it each day for the next 3 days, how does this get counted in the ratings? What if I watch it several times each day, would that help?? Really am loving this season so far, enjoyed Reunion very much.
Shouldn't there be a pig floating by that factory?
regarding 'reunion':
this sam fan was squeeing! my two fave moments were sam saying goodbye to teal'c -and, really, her old life- and sam arriving at atlantis and everyone waiting for her. GREAT!! i was super grinning the entire time that arriving scene was going on too. :p but really, i loved everyone of sam's scenes. this is just soooo cool!!! :D
seeing as i'm new, i finally got a chance to really see ronan and teyla. great characters! in fact, as my mom said, they're all such likeable characters. my mom was just as enthusiastic as i was, and i haven't seen her this jazzed about stargate for quite a while.
:D
oh, and let's not forget the photo she has of her washington guy in her suitcase... SQUEEEE!!!
i am a fan of atlantis, joe. well done!!
sally :D
I defnitely enjoyed the episode "Reunion" (it was interesting that we never once saw Carter salute -- another laid-back military leader - cool, but maybe not realistic?). But I was disappointed, in a way, to find that Ronon never really had to deal with his choice. I'd've liked to either see some more of his return to Atlantis feelings. Cool segment with his viewing his tattoo and his painting, with mixed emotions (talk about baggage!) -- this may be all we ever get from a closed-up guy like Ronon, huh?
Joe,
We really enjoyed tonight's episode! I think character development, in most shows on the air now, is often overlooked or just plain ignored to leave more room for bells and whistles (don't get me wrong, those are great as well!). But, the core of any show is the characters and their struggle through life. The reason I watched SG-1 and now SGA is the characters. So, thanks to you and the other writers for giving them words, heart and life. It keeps me coming back for more.
P.S. We also saw the subtle item in Carter's packing crate. Who's idea was it?
Hi Joe:
So not fair. I have to wait until Monday to be the good Canadian girl that I am and watch Atlantis on Movie Central. So I don't get to comment about Reunion. However, what I have seen, the first two eps of the season, were brilliant.
Great work.
Patricia
I'm still confused about ratings. Gateworld stated that "Adrift" was 1.2 - from Neilsen?
If you're saying that the DVR+3 views count towards the "official"(Neilsen?)rating, does that mean that the SciFi Channel folks also use that adjusted "official" rating when considering renewal for the show?
Sally, if you and the other SG1 purists had bothered to watch SGA from day one, you might have seen taht the two characters who've been offloaded were likeable, too.
I'll never be able to watch this show without Beckett and Weir. It's nice to know that people like you who couldn't give a flying f*** about the show before are being kept happy at the expense of myself and other Beckett/Weir fans.
No. :( Though I am assuming you did send it to the updated address I emailed you awhile back. Even then not a problem (unless it was bigger then letter size). Sorry to be a pest about it.
Oh and the 5 minutes or so of Reunion I've seen so far (darn overnight job) looks good. Though I wish Scifi wouldn't have started it at 10:02 ET.
Thank you so much for this concept arts, they are so beautiful. May I ask who in the art departement drew these ?
May I suggest that you show us more of this drawings, including the concepts that could habe been abandonned ?
Please excuse my English, I'm French and only sixteen.
㉦ ㉦ ㉦ ㉦ ㉦ ㉦ ㉦ ㉦ ㉦ ㉦ ㉦ ㉦ ㉦
Salut joseph =)=)
Alors bien dormi?^^
Merci pour ces trés jolies photos!! Super la video, je n'imaginais pas que c'etait aussi grand!
Yé! Merci de m'avoir répondu! vous êtes trop adorable!!
Moi je ne regarde pas trop la télé sauf quand il y'a du sport ou stargate^^!!
Oui,si vous seriez sur la citée,je vous imaginerez en chef^^!
Vous aimez l'avokaa? ouch je ne connait pas! bah a mon age c'est normal^^!
OUille! j'ai eu trés peur tout a l'heure mon ordinateur été devenu fou!! heureusement j'ai supprimer le fichier qui poser probléme, en éspérant qu'il n'en a pas contaminé d'autre!
De toute façon si un jour je ne vous met pas de commentaire soit je suis morte ou mon ordinateur ne marche plus!! lol
Ce soir, c'est la demi final de rugby: France/Angleterre (ont va gagner lol)
Mes questions:
Quels sports aimez vous? Vous aimez le rugby?
Voila Merci Beaucoup!! Je vous love trop!!! Gros Kissou! a demain!
Bonne journée=)
㉦ ㉦ ㉦ ㉦ ㉦ ㉦ ㉦ ㉦ ㉦ ㉦ ㉦ ㉦ ㉦
I hope you haven't been asked this question before because I've only just started reading your blog but are you aware that us Aussies still haven't been shown Season three Atlantis yet? Stupid, Bloody Channel 7!!!
Oh I did enjoy Renunion Joe- thank you very much. I thought Carter was lovely in it! Loved the humour but mostly Sheppard was stunned ...and not just once but twice!!! Woo hoo!!! Okay that is not exactly shot with bullets- but maybe if we get a s5 we will have that to look forward to???? ;)
do we get to see micheal the wraith in season 4?
Is the wraith cruiser from submerged gonna be brought back in season 4
Is the pheonix exactly the same as the daedalus, odysee, apollo? If not not, whats the difference?
Have you ever tried mutton testicles before.... i hear its a delight gourmet dish in north africa
Passing on from my boyfriend and myself - very nice episode with "Reunion". It was well balanced and fun to watch. A bit of comedy and some nice drama and action. We did guess the major plot twist involving Ronan's friends from the begining and had the reason for it narrowed down to three (one of which was the answer) but we have about 45 years of experience playing role playing games between the two of us, so we tend to guess what is coming before it happens in just about everything we watch (movies and TV)
We did have problems with Carter going on the big rescue, but since she was brand new to the post, we can give that she would have problems 'letting go' of the first thought she would have - head off world to help.
Overall, a really great episode. We both enjoyed it, and my boyfriend had thought he would not enjoy anything after Weir had left.
Hi, Joe.
"Reunion" was excellent! Awesome episode. Loved the goodbye scene between Carter and Teal'c; Ronon's big fight scene; and the Replicator attacking the Wraith.
As the mission that Carter went on was Search and Rescue for her second-in-command (Shep), Atlantis' chief scientist (McKay), and their local Pegasus Galaxy liaison (Teyla), I thought it made PERFECT sense for Carter to go on the mission.
Her action set the "tone" for her command, and showcases the lessons learned from Jack O'Neill, including: No one gets left behind!
Kudos also to Will Waring on his episode directing. Outstanding job.
Best wishes, Joe.
Morjana
fm Burton tEO
What the heck is the Phoenix? When does it appears in SGA?
Joe, I was reading through some previous blogs and saw pictures on "September 21" that you took on location in a beautiful park with a lake with an Island in it. What park is that? I'm a photographer and would love to go check out that park when I'm in town. By the way, I loved "Reunion". Nice work! -Jennifer in Orlando
Like others, I adored this episode! And I especially loved that scene where Sam is unpacking and we get a glimpse of that item in her crate. Is that meant to be a nod to the discussed "personal stuff" that was cut out of a later episode?
Flying Fig said...
In "Hot Zone," I'm pretty sure it was pointed out that Radek didn't have the gene naturally and the gene therapy didn't work on him, yet in "Reunion," it looks like he's using Ancient tech...
That's my question as well. It was established in Hot Zone that Radek was given the gene therapy but it didn't work. So, how can he be using the Ancient detector or is the ATA gene no longer require to use it?
Reunion was a great episode! Well done! A great combination of character development, humor, and action!
I loved all the Sam scenes -- with Teal'c, Ronon, Sheppard and Mckay! And a very nice episode for Ronon and Carter. I have been fairly lukewarm with Ronon, but I like the character much more as a result of this episode. I think all the character development in this episode was wonderful and important for the show. Also, Carter was written and played as a very strong, level headed leader. I loved the confrontation between Ronon and Carter. And the Mckay/Carter scene was just right -- very funny, but not over the top.
Thanks for great episode! Looking forward to the rest of season 4! And I do hope there will be a season 5.
Chocdoc
thank you to the anonymous poster who answered my question... i was very confused as i only recently started reading the blog... so words like whump and ship were foreign to me. but now i get it. :)
Reunion = kickass episode!!! Great job with character development- old AND new to Atlantis. Ronon isn't a character to whom I've paid much attention but for this show, I really felt for the guy good job.
So I couldn't quite make it out- 3 people in the painting, who are they? and why is it special to Ronon he's not the art collector type?
>>>where did the whole chewie thing come from anyway?<<
You know, I thought from Rising onward that Joe F plays John Sheppard like he was a kind of Han Solo. You know- independent, fiercely loyal, willing to shoot first and nevermind the questions. So it was a funny moment for me when I heard Sheppard utter that line. Not that Ronon is hairy or anything.
The arranged marriage guy, was that just filler, a minor subplot that mostly got cut or some twisted sense of humor on your part? It seemed a little more complex than the usual, "please point us towards this weeks guest stars" plot starting.
Thanks.
Hi Joe
Such a great episode Reunion, so cool ! Great story, i totally agree with you on the paralelism of situation for Ronon and Carter. And what a first meeting between the two, WOAW !
The fights were amazing, really well done ! I loved this episode, my favorite so far in the season (yeah, well on 3, but that's a start !)
and the little something in carter's suitcase... you're giving hope for all the "still-believers" (and trust me, we are a lot) !
You're a genius !
Quilani
Carter cannot give speeches.
Recycling lines is pathetic.
Otherwise, a good SG-1 episode.
oh wait..
Anonymous said...
Hi Joe You said
Of course having all of SG-1 and O’Neill there would have been great - but prohibitively expensive given that they would only be appearing in the one scene. And so, I elected to go with one member of SG-1 to represent the team and her past. I chose Teal’c.
Why not Jack? Is Teal'c more important to Sam than Jack? Did you at least try to get Rick?
If you think about it I think you would agree that if Jack did that scene it would have changed it from Carter saying goodbye to the SG1 team to Carter saying goodbye to Jack as Jack represents a lot more than just the team.
I really liked Reunion last night. I thought there was a little bit of everything for all the characters, but the main part being about Ronon. I thought the scene where he asked Carter for help for his friends was great when he walked up and towered over her in a threatening kind of way and found that she didn't back down and wasn't in any way intimidated by him. I missed seeing the picture of Jack among her possessions, so I'll have to watch again, but I thought awhile back that someone said she has a picture of him and/or SG1 in her office. Will have to watch more closely. And while I'm at it, to all those S/J shippers, who's to say that somewhere down the road they can't get together. You always hear stories about "lovers" or those who could have been lovers, after years of being apart come back together and marry, so why not Sam and Jack? And, again, while I'm at it, I like to think that off-screen, there was a really touching good-bye scene with Sam, Teal'c, Daniel and Jack before she went through the gate (I just can't imagine the latter two not being there to say good-bye, so I prefer to think they just did it offscreen just before she went through the gate). In fact, I imagine there was a whole group of SGC people in the gateroom to say good-bye to her. We just have to use our imaginations. I'm really looking forward to the remainder of season 4. Sorry this got so long. :-)
Enjoyed "Reunion". Very sorry to say I missed "Lifeline" completely.
Hi Joe!
Really enjoying S4 so far, but "Reunion" brought up a thought that I've had before, and decided to finally ask the question.
If all of the senior staff is off Atlantis, as they are in "Reunion", who is in charge in case of emergencies? Chuck the gate technician? Keller? Unnamed Diplomat #2?
Thanks for being a regular blogger, and I look forward to next week's episode!
Ahh. Good luck... I didn't like them. I don't think I've ever seen good sequels (in English OR Chinese).
I've yet to see Reunion... but will do so tonight. The Ronon & Carter parallelism sounds interesting... can't wait!
Joe says, "Seriously! Are the results being hand-tabulated? Is it time for Neilsen Media Research to splurge on a computer upgrade? Scrap those Commodore 64’s for a brand spanking new VAIO’s or MAC? I’m starting up a collection."
LOL! I totally understand the sentiment...with all the electronic gadgets they can put in peoples homes, why is it taking so dang long??
When I worked there 6+ years ago, we definately were not working on 64's. They were newer PC's than that, although probably not brand new ones. I know a few computer geeks at Nielsen that make 100K+ so they are spending their money on something! (and for us non-movie people...that IS a lot of money)
"Scientists explain chocolate cravings"
It's still at the 'chicken vs the egg' point of the argument. Do the bacteria cause chocolate cravings or does eating chocolate cause that specific bacteria to grow. I would bet on the latter.
I do think chocolate can react like a drug (or is a drug) and can make you have cravings for it! I just don't think the bacteria are making the cravings. (of course I could be totally wrong on this! lol)
Oh, man. Reunion was fantastic!!! Jason had an amazing performance. He had me crying.
And, of course, Rodney had me laughing out loud. He still hasn't lost his Rodney-ness!
Hooray for Teyla with attitude. And a wonderful scene between T'ealc and Sam. Another tear-jerker. I am grateful to Chris for taking the nominal fee to come do it.
Thanks for a wonderful episode! I'm off to watch it again.
As far as "Chewie" being deemed offensive, if it actually was, don't you think Jason would have said something about it? And IRC, one of the featurettes on the season 2 DVDs made mention that Chewie is Jason's nickname.
Anyway, I do have a question Joe. I know you've mentioned that networks don't typically advertise shows from their competition. However, the SciFi channel does this all the time for shows on NBC. SciFi even runs encores of certain shows like the Bionic Woman this year and Heroes last year.
If SciFi does this for NBC, then why can't NBC do the same for SciFi? You know a type of quid pro quo thing. At least running an ad for Atlanis during Heroes would reach the appropiate demographic. Maybe the next time you guys have a sit down with the TPTB at SciFi you should mention this?
Anonymous said... "i know no one on gateworld agrees with this person that said that he thinks the term "chewie" used for Jason Momoa/Ronon is racist to hawaians..
where did the whole chewie thing come from anyway?"
Good thing most of the people are using their brains. You can see racism/discrimination anywhere if you want to.
1.As Jason is portraying a Satedan(sp?) rather than a Hawaiian...if it were true(which it's not) wouldn't it be racism against Satedans?
2.Sheppard peppers tons of his dialogue with Star Wars references because he loves the show...not to make racist/discriminatory comments.
3.As Sheppard considers Ronon to be part of his Atlantis family, why would he be racist/discriminatory towards him?
4.Sheppard hasn't shown ANY racist tendencies towards anyone IMHO.
It's just a simple reference to the Star Wars movie. Sheppard seems to be comparing himself to Han Solo and Ronon to Chewbacca his bestfriend. It also helps that Ronon is tall, hairy(well he has big hair..lol), super strong, loyal and intimidating like Chewbacca. Ronon is impulsive and acts on instinct at times which is another trait of Chewbacca.
It really has nothing to do with Jason being Hawaiian. I think most people probably don't even know he's Hawaiian. (but we all know that Hawaiian's are always being stereotyped as extremely tall, light-color eyed, fighting Hercules types...and yes...that was snarcastic. Oh and for everyone that will find fault in that...I didn't say Hawaiians couldn't be any of those things...but they aren't generally stereotyped that way)
Teyilia said... "also do you like Dove Chocolates?"
Oooh...yummy! As someone on a smaller budget than Joe...those are my favorite! ;-)
I can't stand the sappy sayings inside the wrappers though. When they first came out they seemed to have a better writer of pithy wrapper sayings. Now they are just so lame!
Ex: 'Buy yourself flowers!'
I just read that off a wrapper! Not making it up!
Seriously Dove?
Reunion was awesome....
1)Which episode would you say holds this seasons biggest revelation?
2)Has any previously released spoiler information for the remainder of the season been misleading or taken out of context?
Hi Joe
First let me say...
I've just watched Reunion. Loved it! Carter was excellent, it was great to see her clashing with Ronon. I loved the dark tones, and it is great to see the Pegasus Galaxy war is in full swing! And great to see Weir not forgotten!
3 great episodes in a row, and I know for a fact Doppelganger is great too. And I think I will safely be able to say the same about Travellers in two weeks!
Great job Joe! Thanks!
Question:
1. You introduced a rather intersesting character in this episode (Tyre). He survived. Do you think we may see him again?
Thanks again for a great episode
Connor said..."I was wondering, could the Wraith, in theory, shut off the attack code in the Replicators and instead re-write or install a new base code that would have the Replicators attack Atlantis and/or go after Earth? Maybe even have the Replicators help them advance their technology to the
point where needing Atlantis's Stargate would be (almost)unnecessary in order to get to Earth or at the very least be able to detect cloaked jumpers?"
If the Wraith rewrote the Replicator code thousands of years ago(to stop the Replicators from attacking them), as they said in Reunion, I would think they would be able to do it again.
BTW Joe, I was kind of wondering about that...why did they need McKay to rewrite it, if they had done it before? McKay seemed to do it pretty fast so how hard could it be? Wouldn't the Wraith have their genii rewrite it? (genii really is a plural of genius! lol)
I don't think the Wraith would want the Replicators killing humans as we are the Wraith's food source. They might want the Replicators to capture and deliver humans to them. They also might want the Replicators to find Atlantis and destroy it and it's inhabitants, since Sheppards group has been more than a thorn in the side of the Wraith.
The Wraith don't need Atlantis's Stargate. They need the Stargate address of Earth and a way to get through the gate shield. They also would like to know where Earth is located (I can't remember if Michael divulged it to any surviving Wraith). It only takes an Earth spaceship 6 weeks(I think) to get from Earth to Atlantis...so if the Wraith knew where it was, they would be able to get there, eventually. So I am thinking the Wraith still don't know where Earth is located.
As Sheppard's team (in a puddlejumper) landed on the Replicator world without being detected, I am thinking that the Replicators still don't have the technology to help the Wraith detect cloaked objects.
Just my opinion...and due to my faulty memory, some of this may be incorrect. ;-)
That cityship in the desert looks amazing!
"Reunion" was great! Parts of it were ruined by my sister and bro-in-law talking. Gar.
But anyway, it was great! I'm excited for next week, as usual.
Cela fait comme presque 10 ans que nous suivons stargate. Une série sympa,drôle ,émouvante ... J'aimerai vous poser une question ! question simple, mérite réponse simple :
Sam et Jack sont ils oui ou non ensemble?
Joe,
Reunion was great. You are right that it wasn't as action packed..but it was character centered instead. I loved seeing Teyla and Ronon fighting. I just wish Teyla had won with Ronon's friends.
Usually, I can guess what's happening next, but I actually was surprised when Ronon's friends pulled their guns on McKay. I was shocked that they could ever side with the Wraith after what happened to Sateda! It seems totally inhuman for them to behave like that. I guess I am a bit naive that way, so it was a good twist for me. Poor Ronon...he was more shocked than me! (they were his trusted friends of course) The sad thing is that they could have pretended to capitulate and then when they were released, they could have hid from the Wraith. Or if the torture was to horrible and they really did capitulate..they could have changed their minds and hid, once they were free. That they chose "eternal life" really shows their lack of character!
I really don't understand what WingedPegasus was saying when he said the blood looked especially fake in the latest episode. It looked perfectly real to me - bringing back memories of the time my sister staggered into the backyard with blood streaming down her face from a cut inflicted by a friend throwing a block of firewood at her... Good times...
The only thing that looked fake to me in that episode was the Wraith scientist's wig. I think I may have seen that at Iparty...
Hi Joe!
Just a quick post to say how much I loved Reunion. It was a great character episode and I loved it.
I want to add that I adored Carter here. I'm a fan anyway, but I loved her integration into the show here. I think she's a great addition to the cast.
I loved the humour in this episode.
I laughed so much at Sheppard swiping the fruit basket, and McKay thinking he'd be leader.
I really loved Ronon and his chats to Teyla and Sheppard. I also really liked Sheppard and Carter talking on the balcony about his desire to find Weir. That was very well done.
The fight scenes were excellent and I really appreciated the wraith lab, it was really beautifully designed and constructed.
So, a big thumbs up from me, and considering I'm a die hard Sheppard fan and he wasn't in this episode that much, that shows how enjoyable Reunion was.
Pat yourself on the back, or go eat a bar of that lovely chocolate of yours :)
Hi Joe,
Hope you're having an enjoyable weekend. It's a beautiful Autumn day here.
I just wanted to stop by and ask you if we will ever see the friendship between Sam and Daniel on screen anymore? As nice as the scene was between Sam and Teal'c (representing all of SG1) and the picture of Jack (for the Sam/Jack shippers), it seems like we never get any friendship scenes between Sam and Daniel anymore. The last time they even shared a hug as 2 friends was in season 3.
I know you've been asked about any friendship scenes between the two of them in the movies and you haven't answered. Quite awhile back someone on G.W. said that you won't answer any questions regarding Sam and Daniel (they had been trying and finally gave up), but I thought that I would try anyway. You have always been the one to give us some of the best Sam and Daniel friendship scenes, so I've always felt that their friendship is important to you too.
If you can't answer about the movies, or if we will see any friendship between the 2 of them if Daniel stops by Atlantis in season 5, then I understand. I guess I just really, really miss it.
Thanks for letting me ramble on. I thought "Reunion" was very well done. Everyone did a great job. Thanks again for listening.
Post last night's ep:
-Loving Carter in charge. I like that she doesn't back down.
-Carter's new uniform(s)work well. Much more stylin' than unflattering BDUs.
-Again, I'm liking this idea of the characters showing more emotion, more blood for that matter; ie Ronan's death match.
...Hey I like my Commodore 64. I also have a Magnavox Odyessy, two Atari systems and an original Nintendo all in mint condition. I'm not even a gamer =/.
...Joust is still my favorite.
"Reunion" was a fabulous episode. Jason Momoa's acting in the closing fight scene was partocularly impressive. I really believed that he was fighting, and killing, close friends.
I also enjoyed the "Chairman's" performance. Does this mean you might get to guest judge on Iron Chef America??
Finally, did I notice a dashing picture of Jack O'Neill in Sam's luggage, or did my eyes decieve me?
Thanks for another great ep,
Royal
I just wanted to pop in and tell you that I thought "Reunion" was awesome. I liked every part of it, from the tension between Sam and Ronon almost immediately after she showed up, to the surprise at the end. I'm enjoying Season 4 more and more with each passing week. It would be a real shame if Sci Fi does not pick up another season.
*waves*
Mr M, for once I shall be succinct. I loved Reunion every little bit of it. The character interactions, the angst the whumpage. Twice!! *squee*
But mostly I loved the passion behind the story, and the connections of old and new. The scene between Sam and Ronon was perfect. I love that bit of tension between them. Is that something that's going to continue for a time?
Another quick question, you seem to be quite blood thirsty in S4, is that part of the whole 'going darker' the slitting of the throat was a really good show of how far they were willing to take things, and a first for Stargate if i'm not mistaken. I look forward to lots more 'bloody' type eps for other characters *cough*Shep*cough*
*insert big cheeky grin*
I also wanted to say how much I enjoyed Teyla's speech to Ronon about how she feels being in Atlantis. Really nice continuity stuff in S4. Thanks for that. I hope there'll be lots more character driven storylines.
*hugs*
Hey Joe,
I just wanted to congratulate you on an outstanding episode yesterday. I know you usually get flak, so I thought I'd add some positive notes.
Reunion was the first episode in a while in which I immediately rewatched it after an viewing it a first time.
Excellent job on all accounts... especially the guest actors. They all did a great job.
It will rank up there with my other favorite Atlantis episodes, Runner & Common Ground
Surprise, surprise! Joe Mallozzi pens YET ANOTHER episode where Rodney embarrasses himself like a pathetic loser.
The embarrassment squick in the first 20 minutes of this episode RUINED the entire thing.
Way to go Joe! Great job. Can't wait to see the rest of your episodes this season and to see the RIDICULOUS contrast between the way YOU write Rodney and the way the rest of the writing team do. *sigh*
WHY must you constantly revert Rodney back to his SG1 persona, completely ignoring the CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT that he's been given over the past three years!?
If this is what we can look forward to, I for one will GLADLY leave SGA off my TV viewing list just as I stopped watching SG1 in S8.
This was just an utterly disappointing episode.
Hello Joe, I must say that your comment about the fans looking for the character moments liking Reunion was accurate and it was a very good episode for that reason. It was all the character moments that really added to the show and made it seem like these are people who have their lives when the episodes aren't showing, or what isn't in the episodes.
The character decisions in this were accurate and it was good to see them from every character, with none really being left behind or ignored. But the approach to the episode with the ties and new situations was handled very well. And if this is the standard of episodes that we get this season like you've indicated in your blog then I think we are in for a very good season. I personally prefered this episode to Adrift and Lifeline, even though they were good episodes as well. But very good work I will say, and for the fans who have been complaining about some of the cast changes (they have a right to, it's always going to be controvercial when things like this happen) stick with good episodes and give them a good show and there isn't really anything they can say. Stick to your guns usually (do listen to critisism though, it's always healthy if contructive) but I got an indictaion from this episode that it may have been a right decision. But one question, if there is a season 5 (To be honest, I think there will be but I'm not the network) would there be a chance that Dr Keller/Jewel Staite would be made a permanent main cast member? As in on the main credits?
Reunion was one of the best stargate episodes yet! That episode kicked my ass in more ways then i can count. I've never whined about character changes or story lines. I like sitting back and being suprised.
But this episode just plain and simple kicked ass. All the way around. From Carter joing Atlantis to Ronon kicking ass. It was a great episode. And shep may not have had alot of screen time as usual in this one but he made it count.
I think i speak on behalf of all Stargate fans when i say THANK YOU!
I can not wait to see what season 4 has in store and what season 5 will bring.
The embarrassment squick in the first 20 minutes of this episode RUINED the entire thing.
Way to go Joe! Great job. Can't wait to see the rest of your episodes this season and to see the RIDICULOUS contrast between the way YOU write Rodney and the way the rest of the writing team do. *sigh*
A) It's not nearly as bad as it could have been, nor was it as bad as it has been in other episodes
B) Joe is by far NOT the only one who plays up the "embarrassment factor" for Rodney. There are several other writers who do the same thing, some more than Joe ever has.
C) I get the feeling that Rodney really was always supposed to be the "comic relief" character on this show - so really it's not surprising that writers take advantage of it. Yes more often than even wish as well but it is what it is.
I did like Rodney in this episode. Yes he did embarrass himself by thinking he was going to be in charge and through his "talk" with Sam but I don't know how anyone watching could have expected him to do anything less. Yes he has gotten better since he started on Atlantis but old habits are hard to break and this was a big one.
The key was that once he found out that Sam was in charge he didn't make a fuss about it - no whining, not complaining that it should have been his job. And once he had that conversation with Sam it was over and done! Nothing else happened. Yes I'm sure more will happen in later episodes but heck how can you not notice that nothing else happened in THIS episode after those first 20 minutes? Because normally it would have continued for the entire episode, and it didn't. Once that moment passed it was the end of it for both of them.
Sorry Joe, the urge took over. ;)
"Anonymous who is definately not a happy camper has said...
Surprise, surprise! Joe Mallozzi pens YET ANOTHER episode where Rodney embarrasses himself like a pathetic loser.
The embarrassment squick in the first 20 minutes of this episode RUINED the entire thing.
Way to go Joe! Great job. Can't wait to see the rest of your episodes this season and to see the RIDICULOUS contrast between the way YOU write Rodney and the way the rest of the writing team do. *sigh*
WHY must you constantly revert Rodney back to his SG1 persona, completely ignoring the CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT that he's been given over the past three years!?
If this is what we can look forward to, I for one will GLADLY leave SGA off my TV viewing list just as I stopped watching SG1 in S8.
This was just an utterly disappointing episode."
Did you watch a different episode to me? 20 Minutes of Rodney embarrassing himself? I think not! You talk about character development for Rodney? What about his graciously accepting the fact that he didn't get the job as leader of Atlantis, and congratulated Carter? Or the fact that he brought Sam flowers and a fruit basket as a welcome to the base and there's no hard feelings? Or how about him risking his ass for the team? No? What about him being worried about Ronon? Would the SG1 McKay have been like that? No, because SG1 McKay was a snarky lil devil. And the only ass he was interested in saving was his own. So, sorry not getting where you're coming from with this. And if 20 seconds of 'old SG1 Rodney' pissed you off, as you claim, then you were never really interested in the Ronon storyline to begin with, were you?
Hey Joe,
Loved Reunion. Momoa did a great job.
Have a couple of questions for you...what's the deal with Ronon's painting and why would Rodney steal it? That was pretty head-scratching moment, I'm sure a lot of fans would love a little background on that.
And, more generally speaking, it just occurred to me to wonder if Teyla and Ronon receive a salary or pay of any kind from the Atlantis expedition/Earth/etc. or if basically they're just earning room & board by working on Sheppard's team. Can you tell us anything about that?
Congratulations Joe on a mostly well-written episode that I liked better that Adrift and Lifeline. The minor quibbles I have with it is when Carter comes through the gate, Sheppard should have said to her, "Welcome to Atlantis" and in a lower voice "again" since she was there at the end of Lifeline (probably a week or so before) and during The Pegasus Project. Also, on the balcony scene, Carter could/should have said something about the view still looks good in the daylight. Was this oversight (at least to me) due to the scripts being written separately and maybe the writers not catching what is to me a continuity problem? Or maybe a time issue where some kind of similar comment to my "issues" had to be cut?
These were minor issues maybe just to me, but I agree with some other previous comments about Carter should not have gone along on the mission and it should have been Maj. Lorne. Maybe a change was made because Kavan Smith was not available when this was being fimed?
I guess I am just a tough critic, but I still believe SGA is better written than most Sci-Fi shows today.
Have a great weekend adn hope we get posistive news of a Season 5 pick-up soon!
Hey Joe,
I am sure you are sick and tired of the questions about ratings. I have been trying to keep people optomistic that it's a different ballgame now, since DVR is having a major impact. I refuse to believe it's loss of viewers due to character change, story, and whatnot. Season 4 has been amazing so far, shaping up to be one of the best seasons, imo. I honestly think that from last year "No Man's Land" to now SGA lost no viewers at all. Just lost those live viewers since its been over 14 months since the S3 premiere. I strongly believe that DVR is the major factor now. Am I wrong for assuming that it's a different ballgame and that DVR is the major factor? I like to keep hope and hopefully Lifeline saw similar or even an uptick from Adrift in live ratings. It would be a real shame, if Season 4 was the last season.
Thanks!
Briangate
May I ask why the scene with John & Carter on the balcony was the same one as with Elizabeth on 'The Rising' ?
Did you want to show that they (as in Carter and Elizabeth) think/act in a similar way?
Or did you want to stress the differences by letting them play the same scene differently (at least that's how I perceived it: Elizabeth being in it with all her heart and Carter being more military 'matter-of-fact'-ly)?
What was your goal with that parallelism?
Anonymous said...
I'll never be able to watch this show without Beckett and Weir. It's nice to know that people like you who couldn't give a flying f*** about the show before are being kept happy at the expense of myself and other Beckett/Weir fans.
So if you will never be able to watch the show and have effectively given up on it, why are you still hanging about posting spite to people who do enjoy the show? What, because you don't like it any more, you can't stand the thought that other people might? Nice sense of entitlement there... and nice manners too. And, as Stephen Fry would say, I use the word "nice" quite wrongly.
I enjoyed Reunion, Joe.. a nice character-driven ep with some great action scenes too. I'd offer more in-depth analysis but plenty of others have done so for me and this head cold is making concentration a real struggle! :/
hey joe -
regarding not always being able to shoot episodes in sequence: how did much did rachel's pregnancy affect this? did you have to do a lot of out of sequence filming?
Bonjour Joe, j'aimerais bien savoir pourquoi nous avoir révéler une scene (le gars de wasington) et ne pas l'avoir introduit dans un épisode ?? Je crois que c'est jouer avec nos nerfs de tous ceux qui veulent voir Sam et Jack ensemble. Sans blague, depuis des années on joue avec nous avec l'interminable question : Sam et Jack seront-ils ensemble un jour ?? Et la on nous le laisse croire, mais on ne met pas la scène. Bref, on peut aussi dire que je voudrais savoir si Sam et Jack auront des scenes ensemble dans atlantis !!
Post a Comment