Allow me to kick off this blog installment by wishing two of my buddies Happy Belated Birthdays! To Chris Judge, who celebrated his special day on Saturday, and to Robert Cooper who celebrated his special day Sunday (watching his Cowboys lose to the hated Patriots). According to an online horoscope I referenced for the occasion: “If your birthday is in October, you were born between September and November and so are more likely to adopt a more carefree attitude toward such things as butter knives, hairpins, and back issues of Home & Garden. You enjoy the good things in life but are quick to avoid situations which may prove unpleasant or painful. 2007 was a good year for you and you should close things out in similar style - so long as you don’t leave your house November 14 and 21, and the first two weeks of December. Take care to avoid sharp corners, dull company, and goji juice. Your birthstone is Texas Flint. Your lucky number is 3 578 120.07. Your sworn enemy is the flying barracuda monkey.”. I‘m not really into this astrology stuff but even I have to admit that the aforementioned stuff is pretty dead on.
Back in the office today where I checked out some spectacular visual effect sequences compliments of Mark Savela, his team, and Image Engine. They’ve outdone themselves - specifically, their work on Adrift and Lifeline which boasted some pretty spectacular effects as well. So be warned: When Be All My Sins Rememb’rd and Spoils of War air, make sure you don’t stand too close to the screen! Your eyes will bleed!
Big dinner tonight. Big dinner tomorrow. Big dinner on Wednesday. And, come to think of it, big dinner this past weekend when my friends Vanessa and Rosemary came into town and we hit the ever-so-great Don Francesco for their squash agnolotti with black truffle butter, spaghetti aglio e olio, penne arrabiate, wild quail a la piemontaise, and almost every dessert on the menu. Check it out.
Finishing: Shadow & Claw by Gene Wolfe.
Starting: Lord Foul's Bane and The Legacy of Heorot.
Loving: House, Zotter's pumpkin seed with marzipan dark chocolate bar, sleep.
Hating: Facebook, papercuts, the New England Patriots.
Today’s pics: Vanessa doing some food-snapping of her own, Rosemary startled/terrified by my camera-gun, squash agnolotti with black truffle butter, my quail, our waiter Jean-Claude shocked by our dessert order, dessert.
Today’s video: Click on the date for a trip down memory lane to another fantastic feast.
Today’s mailbag:
Anonymous #1 writes: “I hope that you will deconstruct more episodes...next week, perhaps?”
Answer: Perhaps I’ll let Robert Cooper field Doppelganger. Rob, you there?
Elizabeth writes: “1) Will you dissect any more episodes after they air? 2) How many knives does Ronon have? 3) Who decided to put Jack's picture in the suitcase?”
Answers: 1) Two more. 2) Lots. 3) The producers.
Sarah writes: “1) how hard do you find it as a writer to switch gears from sg1 to sga - the same general 'verse, totally different characters, different tone, different worlds, different enemies, different histories. 2) what's the 'gut check' for balancing humor and drama in a relatively dark epi?”
Answers: 1) Not that hard given that the writing department was involved in the story-breaking of both shows. Also, the characters and setting may differ, but the tone of the shows aren’t dissimilar. 2) I’m not sure what you mean by “gut check” but we do tend to offer a little light in even the darkest of times.
Blaine Nielson writes: “who is the woman in the third pic, it looks like she is getting directions from Andy Mikita?? Is it Emma Lahana, kinda looks like her”
Answer: It is the lovely Emma Lahana.
Vecturist writes: “Are you a fan of Anthony Bourdain's show "No Reservations?"
Answer: Love it.
Jed writes: “Any chance of finding out the origin of ronons gun?”
Answer: Yep. Stay tuned.
Anonymous #2 writes: “1) Can Michael's superbugs still feed like normal Iratus bugs?
2) Since Michael is now no longer fully Wraith and lacks the funky teeth and hairdo, does this also mean that he is incapable of feeding like a normal Wraith? 3) Is the dart that they escaped the Taranan settlement and got picked up by the Daedalus another one of those plot devices that is barely mentioned, but waiting to be used like Rodney's Puddle Jumper hyperdrive generator? 4a) Ronon's gun seems to have a LOT of shots in it. We might assume it has a power source as we saw him plugging in a battery like thing in Instinct. Does he have a thousand of those or is it rechargeable? 4b) At the start of Vengeance, John tells Ronon to set his gun to stun and it barely damages the first superbug they fight. But later on, most of the superbugs go down from one blast from Ronon's gun. Is this different because he set it on kill, or he's just shooting them in a weaker spot?
Answers: 1) If you’re referring to the creatures in Vengeance - yes. 2) Good question. Stay tuned. 3) It may come into play in a future episode. Though not in season four. 4) It does recharge itself. 4b) When dealing with certain enemies, Ronon prefers to use the Kill setting on his weapon.
Skipgunner writes: “Also, how do you adjust for pieces of the season long story arc that get shifted out of order when the airing order of the episodes changes?”
Answer: We’re pretty much locked into our air order as this season, more than any other, offers fans several developing storylines.
Shirt’nTie writes: “Q: When will the PTB have a decision on Season 5?”
Answer: I think we’ll probably know by the end of next week.
LostCityGuardian writes: “Joe, you talk about seeing the various versions of episodes as they are being produced. Have you seen any of the equivalents for the SG1 films yet?”
Answer: Yes, I’ve seen the producer cuts of both movies and, this weekend, will be watching the Ark of Truth mix with the rest of the gang.
Anonymous #3 writes: Joe F. claims that TPTB want his character to be more earnest. According to someone who attended this con: "Apparently, some of TPTB have told him that because he's the hero, he has to show that he "cares" more obviously." Is this true? What episode is being referred to?“
Answer: First of all, TPTB do not want his character to be more earnest. In fact, look no further than Reunion and the Sheppard/Ronon scene I talked about in Saturday’s blog entry for proof of that. I wanted Sheppard to convey his feelings about Ronon’s pending decision but wanted to do it in a way that was true to the character (read: not earnest). In the end, he ended up saying what needed to be said - by not saying it.
Alipeepeps writes: “I read the context of Joe F's Australia comments about showing that Sheppard cares. …:) I don't think he was referring to scenes like yelling sarcastically at Rodney... I think it was more in reference to scenes such as e.g. Sheppard receiving the bad news about Weir in Adrift.”
Answer: No, it wasn’t Adrift. It was Harmony. And it had nothing to do with the character being earnest. In the episode, Sheppard and McKay agree to escort a young Queen-in-waiting on a rite of passage. But halfway through their trek, things take a deadly turn. Joe felt his character was too much the parent in the episode. ie. informing the little girl that they would be turning back because of the danger. My argument was that as a military leader, he WOULD be the voice of reason here. Nothing to do with earnestness. Just plain common sense.

96 comments:
*waves*
"Anonymous #1 writes: “I hope that you will deconstruct more episodes...next week, perhaps?”
Joe says: Perhaps I’ll let Robert Cooper field Doppelganger. Rob, you there?"
Don't tease me, Joe. You know how easily exciteable I get when it comes to evil Shep. :D
*feels a squee coming on*
Do you think Rob could be bribed into doing a non hostile takeover for one night if we bribe/beg him enough? ;)
"Joe makes my night again by saying: First of all, TPTB do not want his character to be more earnest. In fact, look no further than Reunion and the Sheppard/Ronon scene I talked about in Saturday’s blog entry for proof of that. I wanted Sheppard to convey his feelings about Ronon’s pending decision but wanted to do it in a way that was true to the character (read: not earnest). In the end, he ended up saying what needed to be said - by not saying it."
Exactly! That's what I love about their friendship, and that's something I love seeing on screen. It's not what they say, but what they don't say. Hehehe. So true. And done in typical male fashion. :D
*hugs*
Okay, so my question today has to be: How on earth does Carl Binder stay so skinny?!! :lol:
Hi Joe
Great job on the horrorscope.. could you do mine? I was born between August and October.. Did you see House this week ? .. The poor dog .. Not quite sure of the sequence of events re his death.. But I must say He did such a great acting job.. Those beautiful melting chocolate brown eyes.. What colour are your eyes?
have a nice night..
Dori
I have to agree, I don't usually take the whole horoscope thing seriously. But really, the horoscope you consulted for October was that specific?! Well, maybe there's some truth in it after all :)
I saw that some of the DVR numbers came out for the premieres. Just wondering if you guys had heard anything on that front.
Since you're a House fan... do you also watch Bones? The show reminds me a bit of SG-1 and SGA when it comes to great team scenes.
First of all, TPTB do not want his character to be more earnest. In fact, look no further than Reunion and the Sheppard/Ronon scene I talked about in Saturday’s blog entry for proof of that. I wanted Sheppard to convey his feelings about Ronon’s pending decision but wanted to do it in a way that was true to the character (read: not earnest). In the end, he ended up saying what needed to be said - by not saying it.
Gotta say, I loved that scene too. It was just perfect and exactly how Sheppard and Ronon would do things. :D
I don't know the context of Joe's comments in Oz (I think you mished my post up with one I was quoting) and didn't know he was talking about a specific episode so thanks for the insight on that. In any case, Harmony should think herself lucky she's got Sheppard being "the parent" as opposed to McKay! :lol:
hey joe! Thanks for the low down on the ep! That was awesome. Will there ever be an ep where we learn how the ancients created a zpm? Also how many countries are actually represented on the expidition? I could count all the flags.
Have a wonderful birthday Joe M!!
Wishing you lots of chocolates & Atlantis Season 5 as your presents!
-Donna in FL
Oh my goodness! That's a ton of dessert!
Thanks for answering my question! So the producers decided to put the picture in. Good thinking.
Please answer my questions. 1) You said that you will dissect two more episodes after they air. Which two? 2) In yesterday's blog you said you thought that having O'Neill put in a good word for Sam to get the job would suggest impropriety. Why, exactly?
Thanks!
Loved the October horoscope. My birthday is not this month and I am not having any major sugeries but would you do me the honor of dedicating your next blog to me? I am a lost puppy who has no idea what I want to do with my life and sadly a shout out from you would be the highlight of the month. It would even beat out whacking my head on a tree while trying to pick an apple.
Thanks for keeping me laughing and entertained.
yep, that shep is a great leader/role model...."What, the little girl might get killed? Who cares? It's not my planet or my people or my problem."
Maybe Joe Flanigan should realize that people are supposed to like his character. Enough already think Shep is a jag-off who just happened to win the DNA lottery, lucked out on a wimpy "commander" in Weir, and got promoted to Lt. Col. thanks to some handy blackmail. Thin ice doesn't begin to cover it.
Bonsoir Joseph,
Toujours intéressant ton blog, mais pas toujours facile à comprendre (vive le dictionnaire français/anglais!)
T'es pas tanné des fois des resto?lol
I have the same Q as Alipeeps, only thing is Are we going to lose are Ready to Spar/beat the crap out of the Wraith Teyla?
also a funny thought came to me and was wondering what you thought, a friend of mine and I were compairing weapons from both different TV shows as well as movies, and the topic got to Ronon's gun against a Dalek, we got into a HUGE debate over those two weapons, mostly Ronons gun not getting past the shields of the Dalek, I was thinking that withone shot on stun he could knock out the shields then a kill shot to knock out the Dalek, what do you think? Ronon IS a fast gun on the trigger pull.
And lastly, If there HAS to be a pairing to save the show who would you personally pair off? it does not matter to me yet I'm just the wondering type.
~Teyilia
PS: can you pass on a hello to all the new parents in the cast? Thanks!
I was discussing "Outcast" with a friend and we were wondering who ended up being cast as Sheppard's brother?
Hi Joe,
A friend of mine that saw the early releasing of Doppelganger said that JF had 4 different roles in that episode...is that true?
That dessert looks amazing. I imagine it tasted just as much.
I know that Robert Cooper is largely credited with penning Ark of Truth, but did you and the other writers get to weigh in as you would on a regular episode?
What kinds of things would you like to see touched on in future Stargate movies (post-continuum)?
Would the possible upcoming writer's strike, if one should happen effect SGA's season 5?
Kristen
What other two eps will you be deconstructing? I loved what you did for Reunion! It gave a lot of insight into the episode, and the deleted scenes were especially nice. I really like the other beginning you had, with Ronon teasing Teyla about her crush. I laughed when I was reading it. They're so much like a brother and sister with that teasing. :-)
Hiya Jo,
Any chance you will "deconstruct" Trio so we'll have a chance to read more about a certain scene that didn't make it? (you'll know which one I'm talking about I hope)
Thanks!
Apologies for the double post, Joe. Don't mean to clutter up your blog. :D
Anyway, after reading Teyilia's comment, I'd kind of like to ask a similar question if not exactly the same: Assuming, of course, that you get a season 5 (Scifi had better renew!) would season 5 Teyla be all motherly, or be back to her wraith-kicking self? Or possible a combination of both? Thanks!
Foolishpleasure writes: “why didn't Sheppard, or any of the military personnel on Atlantis, salute Carter when she came through the gate and took command of Atlantis?”
Answer: Seahen already answered this one - “ The Air Force only salutes indoors during formal ceremonies and arriving through the gate is not a formal ceremony.” We did check with the Air Force on this one.
Okay, Sheppard is Air Force, but I thought the majority of the military types on Atlantis were Marines. Do they follow the same protocol?
Also, this one has been bugging me for some time: If travel through the gate is one way only, how is it that communications are two way? Does it have to do with travel being composed of a matter stream, while communications are composed of sound waves? And, if that's the case, couldn't the Ancients, being so advanced and all, have devised a way to convert travellers to a sound wave rather than a matter stream, or is the limitation deliberate - maybe to avoid "collisions" while passing through the wormhole?
Do you get a lot of cavities as a result of your sweet tooth?
teyilia writes: "And lastly, If there HAS to be a pairing to save the show who would you personally pair off? it does not matter to me yet I'm just the wondering type."
First off, Joe's not going to answer such a question, as it may have future spoiler implications. Secondly, there already IS a canon pairing on the show. Rodney McKay and Katie Brown. Accept what you've been given and leave it alone.
Facebook is evil.
I have a question about the tattoo on Ronon's neck. I noticed a similar tattoo was on each Satedan's neck in Reunion. Does it symbolize rank or was it just a "popular style" on Sateda?
Joe, are we likely to get any big drone weapon battles this season? Just that I was looking at No Man's Land today, and the Orion pounding the hive ship with the drone salvo was very cool.
Lucky you, by the way. Are the films looking good?
Thanks for the birthday wishes. Back atcha Joe. Oh, and the very thoughtful and personal present. (Actually, it was very thoughtful and personal but I thank Fondy for that.) Your special gift is unfortunately on back order and may take a few days to come in. As far as dissecting Doppelganger I don't understand why I would do that when it took so much time and effort to assemble. I will however agree to a one night only guest Q & A on your blog next weekend after the show has aired.
Joe M answered:
Answer: No, it wasn’t Adrift. It was Harmony. And it had nothing to do with the character being earnest. In the episode, Sheppard and McKay agree to escort a young Queen-in-waiting on a rite of passage. But halfway through their trek, things take a deadly turn. Joe felt his character was too much the parent in the episode. ie. informing the little girl that they would be turning back because of the danger. My argument was that as a military leader, he WOULD be the voice of reason here. Nothing to do with earnestness. Just plain common sense.
Joe, I think you've misunderstood what Joe F was saying here. He specifically answered, after a fan asked if TPTB had taken Sheppard anywhere he didn't want his character to go that that hadn't happened in any specific episode - so he wasn't talking about Harmony here. He then went on to say, as has been quoted here, that he had fought Sheppard being more earnest in terms of emotionally showing he cares more, and that he felt it was more effective to show Sheppard struggling to express his emotions.
The problem with people quoting snippets of what an actor says, is that unless you look at what he/she says in full context, often misunderstandings will occur.
Hi Joe
I wish you a very good day, with a lot of joy, friendship and happyness. I really hope you'll have a wonderful birthday, and i'm already sure, you'll go in one of your favorite restaurants !
Joyeux anniversaire !
Kiss from France
Quilani
PS : what the hell, i can't valid my message :{
Hey Joe, since it's the 16th where I am and I'm a bit useless when it comes to figuring out time zones, I wanted to wish you a happy birthday now so that I don't miss it :)
Hope you have a great day and celebrate in style! (As always).
A scene in "Reunion" has been bothering me since it aired. And I'm going to share my feelings about it. The following is about the content of one scene, not about the writing of the rest of the episode or the actress involved or how anything else has been played. For the most part I've been happy with what I've seen this season.
Having said that...
While I can see you are making an effort to show Carter as a person strong enough to command Atlantis, the scene where she threatens Ronon is not the way to do it. While she did not come out and say she'd incarcerate him as an enemy of the state if he tried to leave, she implied as much and pretty much confirmed the threat when he point-blank asked her. No wonder he decided to leave -- who wouldn't when you are being told that your rights as an independent person and ally can be swept away by the whim of a person who has not looked into any legal justification of whether you are a threat or not. That's tantamount to her saying, believe as I do and do what I want, or I'll destroy you, and that's an intolerable fascist mentality for one of our military commanders to have.
That's not having her show her strength by not backing down, it makes her a loathsome bully (in that one scene). What's she going to do -- label him an enemy combatant because he didn't agree with her or chose to leave, which is his right as he is not a slave nor part of the military, or shown an enmity or treason except that he didn't want to stay there? Talk about fascist mentality. Is she going to set up concentration camps for all the 'people' not like her that might not want to be confined to base, like we did to the Japanese Americans in this country, who's only crime was being Japanese. She going to set up a Guantanomo Bay for anyone who doesn't see eye to eye with her and decides they want to live elsewhere? I can't tell how you how nauseous I felt hearing that innuendo out of a person who is supposed to represent the finest of our American military.
And it wasn't negated by her later statement that she'll support whatever he chose -- that only said to me that her hands got slapped by higher up who said what the hell were you thinking?
We unfortunately have got one of these in the White House today, who should have been impeached long ago if we had Congressmen with gumption. I don't need Carter to become a Bush clone in one of my favorite shows... especially in just a lame attempt to make her look strong.
As I said, these are my feelings about one scene that has left a bad taste in my mouth... not about the rest of the writing or the character in general.
cat4444 said...
Foolishpleasure writes: “why didn't Sheppard, or any of the military personnel on Atlantis, salute Carter when she came through the gate and took command of Atlantis?”
Answer: Seahen already answered this one - “ The Air Force only salutes indoors during formal ceremonies and arriving through the gate is not a formal ceremony.” We did check with the Air Force on this one.
Okay, Sheppard is Air Force, but I thought the majority of the military types on Atlantis were Marines. Do they follow the same protocol?
Joe, hope you don't mind me answering another Air Force/military question. I was in the Air Force and not the Marines, however my father was in the Navy and I do know that the Navy does not salute indoors, even during ceremonies. Since the Marines are part of the Dept. of Navy, I assume that this is true of Marines as well. But I can assure you that of the services that do salute indoors, it is only during ceremonies. The general rule is if you are covered (meaning you have your uniform hat on) you salute, if not you don't. Since you take your cover off to go inside, you don't salute inside.
I could go on covering all the ins and outs of saluting but I think this gets the point across. Hope this helps.
One of the Anonymouses says: “Enough already think that Shep is a jag-off.” Really? Have you done a survey, or is this based on pure telepathy? More likely, it’s simply that you want to believe you speak for large numbers of fans and/or viewers in general, even though there’s no evidence that you do (and no, the small group of “anti-Shep” obsessives repeating themselves over and over at GateWorld don’t count as evidence of anything). Of course you can think what you like about the character and/or the actor - I won’t waste space trying, and failing, to convince you that you’re wrong - but aggressive assertions like yours aren’t likely to persuade anyone to think again, nor are obviously inflated claims to speak for anyone but yourself. And why get so vitriolic anyway? As Mr F. himself has said, it’s only a TV show - though it's one of the best on TV at the moment, and he's the best actor in it. (What? Did I say something controversial? Oops ...)
Hi, Joe.
Happy Birthday to YOU!
Wishing you a very special day and hope that this new year will be the best so far.
Have Cake!
Morjana
Well look at that! I just got an email from a Stargate fanlist telling me it's your birthday on the 16th (which technically is today, now).
So a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you Joe, and may you have many more, hopefully spending many of those inbetween Stargate Production seasons!
Acidly Angry Anonymous said...
yep, that shep is a great leader/role model...."What, the little girl might get killed? Who cares? It's not my planet or my people or my problem."
Maybe Joe Flanigan should realize that people are supposed to like his character. Enough already think Shep is a jag-off who just happened to win the DNA lottery, lucked out on a wimpy "commander" in Weir, and got promoted to Lt. Col. thanks to some handy blackmail. Thin ice doesn't begin to cover it.
Wow. Such angry spite! What did Sheppard (or Joe, for that matter) ever do to you?! I'm failing to see where you get to "Who cares if children die?" from what Joe told us about Harmony?
As for the rest.. well, ya know, you can character-bash as much as you like if it makes you happy (though lord knows why you get pleasure from such a negative thing) but what you wrote there seems to suggest that you somehow blame Joe F for your perceived shortcomings in Sheppard's character and even feel he is deliberately playing the character as the unlikeable fellow you describe (which does raise the question, if he's so awful, of why every fan doesn't hate him as you do?) and that's just... bemusing.. and quite offensive to both the writers and Joe as an actor.
Jedi said...
Hi Joe,
A friend of mine that saw the early releasing of Doppelganger said that JF had 4 different roles in that episode...is that true?
Seeing as you didn't get an answer and have asked this again, I'll help out and answer for you - No. It's not true.
Love the horoscope! My friend's birthday was on Thursday, so I'm going to buy her a signed Chris Judge photo this weekend. I will be sure to wish him a happy birthday too. Yay!
Speaking of birthdays, it looks like it's the 16th in Canada now... so Happy Birthday Joe! Have a great day and a brilliant year!
P.S. It's the 16th of October where I am right now so...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :D
*Sings*
Omedetou tanjoubi!
Omedetou tanjoubiiii!
Omedeeeetou tanjoooubi!
Omedetou tanjoubi!
... You know, the nuance of that just does *not* come across in print. :P
Clicky for your pressie (AKA, that Utena pic I asked you about ^_~).
Hi Joe
Thank you for the deleted scenes and writer's analysis which you posted yesterday. I very much enjoyed reading it!
Thinking about what you said yesterday about whether Woolsey or O'Neill should have been the one to recommend Sam for the Atlantis post, I believe it is better for Sam's character for it to have come from Woolsey (since Sam and Woolsey have not always seen eye-to-eye), who would be juding her on what she knew, rather than O'Neill, as then she could be accused of getting the post because of who she knew, not because she was the best person for the job.
I always felt it weakened Elizabeth's character that the implication in Lost City is that she was first introduced to the SGC because Kinsey had thought she could be easily manipulated and, when this proved not to be the case, she had a grateful president in her corner, ensuring she would retain a significant post within the Stargate programme.
Also, Jack had fiercely objected to SG1, in particular Daniel, going to Atlantis is Season 1 SGA/Seasion 8 SG-1 (Rising part 1, Gemini, Prometheus Unbound), so it would seem strange for him to be the one recommending Sam for the post a few short years later: it would probably be more in character to say he had not opposed it.
Pam
Joe,
Are we going to ever hear more about the weakness of the Wraith within the communique that the Aurora was bringing back to Atlantis when it was damaged/disabled? That sounded like an interesting sub-plot, but it has never been mentioned again. Is this an example of something that is interesting for a specific episode's plotline, but never to be heard of or revisited again like the Tria from The Return, PT.1? Do any of the producers/writers have a list of things done in previous episodes so that mistakes about what and what is not canon won't happen or do you just rely on every writer's memory?
Hello !
Hey, I wanted to ask you something. Why does Carter have the red Civilian uniform and not the red one ? She's part of the military !
Thanks for posting regulary !
anonymous said...
who just happened to win the DNA lottery
Doesn't that statement describe most of the acting community?? :lol:
You can also include some of them in winning the "overpaid for their contribution to society" lottery.
Luckily, some actors/actresses got the nice person gene in addition to the good looking gene.
Great horoscope!! Very helpful! I think I'll just stay in and watch SGA to avoid sharp corners, dull company, and goji juice(that won't be a problem)!! I'll be looking out for the number 3 578 120.07 and flying barracuda monkeys, especially so close to Halloween! (My bithday is the 26th btw)
Wish Chris and Robert a happy birthday :D!!
Sofie
xoxox
Doppleganger was great! Pity iTunes leaked it. Is the leaked version the same as the final release? It seemed a little... weird. Lack of any large amounts of music and a few seemingly strange scenes.
Hi Joe,
I would like to thank you for bringing us Stargate Atlantis. It is such a wonderful show.
Please put the deleted scenes, like the original teaser scene from Reunion and others, back into the episodes for the DVD release of Season 4. It would be great to have the director’s cut episodes.
I really loved the way SGA seasons 2 and 3 had hints for Teyla and Sheppard growing on each other, and that they might end up together one day.
I was saddened to read that there will be another love interest for Teyla in Season 4, as Sheppard should be the one. I know that tv-shows, especially sci-fi, for some reason won’t let two main characters hook up, but maybe there is a way, which would keep the shows good ratings?
About Teyla’s pregnancy and bringing this other love interest for Teyla to the show, I think it will actually make the show poorer.
I was wondering why not keep the show with Teyla and Sheppard growing on each other? Why start it like that and then bring someone else in for Teyla?
Will we ever see Leonor Varela in SGA again, playing Chaya or some other character perhaps? I thought she was very good.
I hope you will answer my questions
Joe,
Happy Birthday! Chocolate up!
Hi again Mr M.
Thank you for answering the question. I am SUPREMELY confident that Season 5 will happen. Have a great birthday today! Is there perhaps a special birthday cake being prepared...involving chocolate?
As it's your birthday, let me tell you a (not very) humourous story about the biggest SG1/ SGA fan in our house, his name is Duncan and he is a dalmation. After recently seeing "200" he has formed a Campaign Union : the Dalmations on Television Shows or D.O.T.S. He is bent on total world domination via appearing on SGA... (Travel from Ireland etc has not really been thought through)...Anyway, he has launched a huge membership drive with the Mallozzi-esqe tag-line...you guessed it "Join the DOTS!"...(boom boom!!)
Happy Birthday Mr. M
Will be raising a pint tonight in your honour,
Shirt'n'Tie
Greetings from Tipperary
1)Will the events in "Reunion" fuel Ronon further in his loyalty to Sheppard and to Atlantis?
2)Will there be any romantic/sexual entanglements detrimental to Atlantis this year?
You said that you would be watching 'Arc of Truth' this weekend with the rest of the gang. Does the rest of the gang include the main actors that were in it that still reside in the area such as Mr. Shanks, Ms. Tapping and Mr. Judge? Are they invited to the viewing so that they can see the finished product and possibly critique their performance?
teyilia writes: "And lastly, If there HAS to be a pairing to save the show who would you personally pair off? it does not matter to me yet I'm just the wondering type."
One of the 5 people who wants SGA to become the Shep/Teyla lovefest show. Please don't even answer as most viewers don't want to hurl all over your blog.
Hey Joe, me again. I decided that your Wikipedia entry looked a little desolate so I added one of your pictures to brighten it up a bit. I hope you don't mind. It's the one of your gleeful expression during Carl's unfortunate cupcake-related demise.
I'll admit I don't know if the WGA applies to those employed in Canada or not, but will this (potential) writers strike affect Atlantis at all? Or if (heaven forbid) there is no fifth season of Atlantis, will it affect your pilot scripts you're considering?
I have noticed some similarities between David Hewlett and Phil Collins. It would be fun to see Mckay drunk on some feast on some planet where the natives ask for someone of the Atlantis team to sing a song from Earth so Mckay steps in and starts singing one of Phil's songs (or any other song from Earth) but that it comes out funny.
You crack me up.
Jason did a beautiful job in Reunion. Loved it. I felt the angst from Sheppard over Ronon's decision. (Ouchy - heartache). Nice final scene. It is good to have Ronon back.
Hope our Colts can beat the hated Patriots on November 4.
Happy Birthday! I'm loving S4 so far. You guys did a great job.
First, Happy Birthday! Hope you celebrate with lots of good eats.
Secondly...if you could have dinner (while taking lots of pictures of the food of course!) with any five people (living or dead) who would they be, and why?
Lastly, thank you for all the various pics and videos and snarkiness to all the haters out there who can't even sign their name to their asinine comments. You rock my world!
I've heard some rumors on the internet, and I thought I might ask. Do you have any plans for bringing Paul McGuillion back this season?
Also, in regard to the episode "Reunion," I just have to ask. Teyla and Ronon spar a lot, and Teyla seems to hold her own with him. Ronon was shown beating up on his three Satedan friends, but Teyla got beaten in the same scenario. What gives?
Joe
Your Birthday today? I hope you have a great one.. You deserve it.
Dori
First, I'd like to say that I love reading your blog. Second, where exactly do you get your horoscopes, and what do they say about Aquarius? Thrid, can you give even the tiniest hint as to the father of Teyla's baby? And fourth, as a New Englander, I am duty bound (though, I prefer Soccer) to say "Patriot's Rule!".
Easy question
From the back half(last 10 episodes of season 4)
what is your favourite episode so far that you have seen?
and yes i know you know about every eppy and what happens
Joe,
Happy Birthday. Why don't you put aside your pride and go ahead and dedicate today's blog to yourself. I'd be interested to know what Cookie Monster, Baron Destructo, et. al. got your for your birthday.
Hi Joe,
Have you read novels 'The De Vinci Code' and 'Angels and Deamons' by Dan Brown?
Dose popular culture effect the stroylines you write for specialist's like Daniel and Sam? Do you beleive there has been a change/shift over the years of their individual abilities?
Thanks
Happy Birthday!
To Sara, he already answered the question about whether or not Paul McGillion will be back in season four. He is going to be in two episodes, #18 and #19, named The Kindred Part 1+2.
"I really loved the way SGA seasons 2 and 3 had hints for Teyla and Sheppard growing on each other, and that they might end up together one day.
I was saddened to read that there will be another love interest for Teyla in Season 4, as Sheppard should be the one. I know that tv-shows, especially sci-fi, for some reason won’t let two main characters hook up, but maybe there is a way, which would keep the shows good ratings?"
*CRINGE*
Don't.Go.There.PLEASE! Teyla snogging Sheppard would make the remote fly to my hand faster than anything else you could do to this show.
ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ
ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ
Salut joseph =)hihi^^!
euh......a oui!
ஐ ஐ ஐ ஐ ஐ ஐ ஐ ஐ ஐ ஐ ஐ
JOYEUX ANNIVERSAIRE!!!!!!!!!
ஐ ஐ ஐ ஐ ஐ ஐ ஐ ஐ ஐ ஐ ஐ
Ahhhhhh!!! je vous souhaite plein de bonheur pour vous cette année, plein de cadeaux!!! Un super birthday!!
j'ai pensée tout la journée a vous, dés que je me suis réveiller! lol je pensse que je les dit a tellement de monde, que maintenant toute la planet est au courant!!
Je suis trop heureuse!!=)
Ma question:
Quel est le plus beau cadeaux d'anniversaire que l'on vous est fait?
Bon bah je vous le redit Joyeux anniversaire^^! Je vous fait d'énorme bisous!!
Je vous love love love love fort!!
A demain! Passez une trés bonne journée!!
ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ ღ
Happy Birthday, Joe! Expect to see a pic of you blowing out the candles on your cake here on the blog tomorrow.
Can you tell us who created each of the original SGA characters... Weir,Sheppard,McKay,Ford,Beckett,Teyla and Zelenka? Also Ronan, too, if you wouldn't mind.
After looking and drooling at all the chocolate photos you've posted ...your blog SHOULD be called Something Chocolate This Way Comes. ;)
Oh Joe it’s you’re birthday.
Happy Birthday, get any good presents?
Perhaps a really nice set of episode’s called Season Five perchance?
Or how about a subscription to Chocolatiers anonymous, you know you’re obsessed.
How about a cookery lesson with Gordon Ramsey, the man makes the Wraith look like Girl Guide’s.
The worst present I ever received for my birthday was a set of icing nozzles from the ex-husband!
Many happy returns of the day.
Pauline
Happy Birthday Joe!
Wishing you a day as special as you are. I'm so glad you were born,
because you brighten SG fan`s life
and fill it with joy. I wish you more good and prosperous stargate years.
Greetings!
Ahhhhhh!!!
J'ai une autre super bonne nouvelle!
La siason 3 de stargate atlantis, sera diffuser a partir du 3 Novembre sur la chaine national francaise!! Enfin!!!
Je suis super happy!! Ce qui est dommage c'est que les épisode seront diffuser a 11h15pm! Mais bon c'est pas grave^^!!
Bon voila,Gros bisou! a demain^^!
Alalal quel belle journée^^!
Happy Birthday!!!!
¡Feliz cumpleaños!
Horoscope writer now?
That could be a new alter ego!
What would be your name in that case?
nooo! my birthday november 21 will be a bad day?
Random question that's popped into my head.. have you watched season 3 of the new Dr Who yet? I know you said you were planning to watch it but I suspect you were waiting for the DVDs rather than watching when it aired...
The thought arises because your mention:
I wanted Sheppard to convey his feelings about Ronon’s pending decision but wanted to do it in a way that was true to the character (read: not earnest). In the end, he ended up saying what needed to be said - by not saying it.
..suddenly reminded me of a marvellous quote by Russell T Davies about a great scene in the late Season 3 episode Utopia, where two main (male) characters have to deal with some of that icky emotional type stuff... RTD explained that he wrote the scene the way he did because "that's what men are like; they have to be in the middle of a nuclear rocket crisis and then they decide to have a chat." :D
I leave in the wee hours of tomorrow morning for lovely Indian Rocks Beach, Florida, where I will be vacationing on the beach with friends for several days, followed by a work meeting in the Tampa area.
I know you will miss me while I'm gone, but try not to be too disappointed by my absence.
I'll see you at the end of October...................
Happy Birthday!
Happy birthday, Mr. Mallozzi! I'll be thinking of you as I sit down at the lutefisk dinner I'm going to tonight. Talk about experiencing 'different' foods. I feel it's my duty as a Norwegian-American to eat it once every couple of years. Mmmm, jellied fish...
Also,
Pauline said: How about a cookery lesson with Gordon Ramsey, the man makes the Wraith look like Girl Guide’s.
I've been told that Ramsay (on his show, anyway) is very mild temperament-wise in comparison to chefs in other kitchens/restaurants. At least one in particular. It seems that the saying, "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen" is a very apt (and literal) one in the restaurant world.
ugh, i am soooo mad... i tried to record reunion so i could watch it... and OF COURSE it didnt work!!! however i decided to read the blog entries anyway so now i feel that i am up to speed and i will probably understand doppelganger on friday. and if i miss doppelganger there will be serious repercussions as i have only seen adrift so far this season!!!
*waves*
Only me again. I meant to say Happy Birthday. Hope you got what you wanted.
Are you doing anything nice?
*birthday hugs*
Cheeky. *who can't be bothered to log in* LOL
Hi Joe,
Wishing you a very Happy Birthday. May the chocolate fairy be generous and all your dreams come true.
All the best,
Janie
Hi Joe, Happy Birthday.
The ground is still shaking, but then, Loki always was a cranky monkey when criticised!! LOL
Anonymous said...
Maybe Joe Flanigan should realize that people are supposed to like his character.
A character can't be likeable/loveable all the time, that would be so unreal!!
Enough already think Shep is a jag-off who just happened to win the DNA lottery, lucked out on a wimpy "commander" in Weir, and got promoted to Lt. Col. thanks to some handy blackmail.
And that *memo* went straight into the bin!! I served (in the Navy) with plenty of men and women who displayed many of the character flaws/good points like Shepard. but then I have been a fan since the Provindence days.
Hi!
I thought this may interest you .....
A few weeks ago, Sky Two (satellite TV channel in the UK)had a poll, asking viewers to vote for their Top 10 all-time favourite episodes of SGA. The results were (in reverse order of course ...)
10. 38 Minutes
9. Sateda
8. Before I Sleep
7. The Siege Part 2
6. Duet
5. Rising Part 1
4. Tao of Rodney
3. Sunday
2. Grace Under Pressure
1. First Strike
I have to say that my Top 10 wouldn't necessarily be the same as I would have to include Echoes, Common Ground, the Storm, Intruder, Progeny ...... the list goes on.
Also a question:
1) Was that THE Robert Cooper posting on your blog offering to do a Q&A next weekend? Boy, do I hope so!!
Cheers!
Janie
Some random questions:
I know SGA will use the SGC as a set for some episodes (obviously so will the movies). With SG-1 over, what is the fate of the SGC set?
How will Atlantis benefit from the Asgard legacy from the SG-1 finally "Unending" (Surely at least a little bit)? Hopefully they could take a lot of pressure of the ZPM with Asgard power cores (their lack of power has started to get repetitive for me).
Hi Joe,
I know I asked this yesterday but you didn't respond then so either you consider it too spoilery (or just not interesting ;o)) or maybe it got lost in all the other questions you fielded yesterday. So I thought I'd try again, hope you don't mind.
You mentioned in Saturday's blog that Ronon's big brother move in Reunion in reaction to the villager pestering Teyla is something we will see more often in season 4. Will we also see Ronon being protective of Sheppard and Rodney?
If you don't reply to it this time either, I'll assume you consider it too spoilery, in which case I won't ask about it again. Promise! :o)
Looking forward to Doppelganger!
Jenn
Sorry for the somewhat belated comment following (its the 17th in New Zealand already) but HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Janie said...
I thought this may interest you .....
A few weeks ago, Sky Two (satellite TV channel in the UK)had a poll, asking viewers to vote for their Top 10 all-time favourite episodes of SGA. The results were (in reverse order of course ...)
10. 38 Minutes
9. Sateda
8. Before I Sleep
7. The Siege Part 2
6. Duet
5. Rising Part 1
4. Tao of Rodney
3. Sunday
2. Grace Under Pressure
1. First Strike
One suspects that there was perhaps just a little bit of fiddling of the results on Sky's part as it was awfully convenient that the number one voted ep, airing at the culmination of the countdown, just before the new season started was... ayup, the final episode of the previous season! :lol:
However, if it helped build up interest and promote viewership of SGA then.. go Sky! :D (And hey, at least Sky actually advertise SGA now which is practically unheard of in previous years... :)
Happy Birthday Joe!
I hope there was plenty of cake. :)
Joe...
I wish you a joyous Birthday!!!
May you get a great big slice of your favorite cake topped with whipped cream, a maraschino cherry and a 5th season pickup for Atlantis.
:)
Mary Beth
Ya know, Martin Wood is simply adorable. And funny as h-e-double hockey sticks. Is there a chance Martin could play a character on SGA sometime in the future? He's such a character off camera that it would be a shame not to use him in front of the camera for a change.
Don't mean to stir up trouble, just wondered why he hadn't made a guest appearance.
first, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JOE!! :D
second:
anonymous screeched: [...] "I don't need Carter to become a Bush clone in one of my favorite shows... especially in just a lame attempt to make her look strong."
LOL! your whole post has got to be a joke! OR, you need better material to justify your anti carter sentiments.
sally :)
Happy Birthday, Joe!
I´d like to say the scene with Sheppard and Carter in the balcony is great!
I could see, in the context, his wish to rescue Weir in contrast with his sense of responsability to protect the city while he was the leader, and then, as Carter assumes the position of leader, he brings to her his intention to save Weir because he had to know, he had to be sure, that his decision not to go save her was right, and that is why, in the end, he agrees with Carter without any more protests. I loved this scene.
Happy Birthday! I hope you had a great day, with lots of great food. :)
Also, Jack had fiercely objected to SG1, in particular Daniel, going to Atlantis is Season 1 SGA
I'm sorry, which episode did this happen in? I remember Jack refusing to allow Daniel to go on a number of occasions but I don't remember any reference to his objecting to anyone else going.
Hey Joe,
Thanks for the pic of Jack in Sam's luggage...really appreciate it. :)
Hope you had a great birthday! :D
Happy S/J Shipper
And to anonymous,
Quote from anonymous:
Also, Jack had fiercely objected to SG1, in particular Daniel, going to Atlantis is Season 1 SGA
I'm sorry, which episode did this happen in? I remember Jack refusing to allow Daniel to go on a number of occasions but I don't remember any reference to his objecting to anyone else going.
My answer:
CARTER: They're stocking the ship and picking the crew right now. (Daniel looks away awkwardly, clearing his throat.) You really wanna go, don't you?
JACKSON: It's Atlantis -- it's everything we've been working for for seven and a half years.
CARTER: I know what you mean. Unfortunately, I think General O'Neill has other ideas.
(They reach an elevator.)
JACKSON: Lemme guess: he says he needs you here.
CARTER: His exact words were, "Over my dead body"
- Stargate SG1 Season 8 Gemini
He fiercely objected to ALL of SG1 going to Atlantis. :)
Post a Comment