Friday, December 7, 2007

December 7, 2007









Well, here I am, unfashionably early as I wanted to make sure we got a good table. Ready to chow down!

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
Just going to take a sneak peek at the dessert selections. Ooooh. Warm pear beignet!

EMILY said…
Ok, I'm here! A minute late, by my clock. Sorry, the traffic is horrible. ;)

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
No problem. You look lovely. New outfit?

EMILY said…
Why yes. I purchased it just for the occasion. You look quite dashing yourself, I might add.

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
Oh, I'm alright dashing.
So, what do you feel like starting with? Soup, salad, or risotto?

EMILY said…
Let's hope the soup's not borscht, eh? Hmm, let's go with the risotto.

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said...
So, what's up? What's new? What's on your mind?

EMILY said...
I've always wondered, do you get a god-like sense of power when deciding whose “mail bag” questions to answer?

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said...
Not so much god-like as demi-god like.

EMILY said...
Ok, here's a big question for you: Do you/the SGA writers have a basic idea for each of the episodes for S5 (if not, about how many do you have an idea for)? Care to share any of the tentative/working titles of any of these said episodes to tease us with? You know, if there’re any that don’t give away much (if any) of the episode plot, of course.

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said...
Ah, right to it then? Well, back in early November, we did come up with a bunch of jumping off points, fleshed out notions, and lame episode titles. We put them up on the white board and, at last count, had 14. As you may or may not have guessed, the title of our premiere (which I cryptically referred to as S&R) is Search and Rescue. Who's searching and who's in need of rescue? Tune into the season 4 finale to find out.

EMILY said...
How's Monkey in the Control Room/Dingo in the Mess Hall coming about?

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said...
As for Monkey in the Control Room - it's in progress. It's a stand-alone, so it's free-floating in the production schedule right now.

EMILY said...
Yeah, no beating around the bush here. I'm intent upon making this the most uncomfortable, interrogative virtual dinner you'll ever have.

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
Hey, your Jeruselam Artichoke risotto and my corn soup have arrived!

EMILY said...
Ok, it has to be asked. You mentioned something about exciting news coming up for a character in S5. Would this announcement have anything to do with Carson Beckett? If you don’t want to give anything away, just say “Maybe, maybe not.” Then again, if it DOESN’T involve him, feel free to just say “no.”

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said...
To answer your question...maaaaybe. The deal has yet to be closed.

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
So, what will you be having for your main course? Beef, fish, or pork?

EMILY said…
Ahh, the risotto is delicious. How's the soup?
I think I'll try the beef, thanks.

JOSEPH MALLOZI said…
Excellent. I ordered a double-portion. Which beef dish are you going with? The tenderloin, the beef shin with the weathervane scallops, or do you want to share the cote de boeuf?

EMILY said…
Let's share the the cote de boeuf, since I have no idea what it is.

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
Done. Are you an adventurous eater? What's the strangest thing you've ever eaten? I believe you must have sampled some interesting delicacies in Korea perhaps? The baby squid?

EMILY said…
Weirdest thing I've ever eaten...Hmmm. I never tried dog while in Korea (although I lived practically next door to a dog restaurant). Never had the live squid, either. Honestly, I don't know what I was eating half the time in Korea. But the weirdest thing I've ever eaten that I can identify is bone marrow. But that wasn't in Korea.

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
That's what my dogs had last night.

EMILY said…
Good to know I eat the same meals as dogs...

EMILY said...
Ok, I admit it: I’m a Daniel fangirl. Is it seeming pretty likely that he’ll make an appearance next season? And if you could have him get wet, take off his shirt, or perform in a male revue, that’d be great. (As you can tell, I’m a very deep person) I’m sure with enough spinning you guys could crank something out involving any or all of these ideas. Go ahead. Impress me. I dare you.

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said...
Hmmm. I'll see what we can do but no promises on the shirtless front. We have a bare-bones idea for the Daniel story but it still needs much fleshing out.

EMILY said…
I won't comment on your use of the word, "fleshing"...

EMILY said…
Where all have you traveled?

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
Italy when I was very young. Also spent time in Jersey visiting relatives. My first vacation with Fondy was a trip to San Fran and we loved it. We also love Vegas. Next year, we'll probably head back to Hong Kong and Tokyo, to cities we truly love. Good eating there.

EMILY said…
I've been to Japan, but didn't make it to Tokyo (I was only there 7 days...more in the south). I enjoyed Japan thoroughly. Ever been to Thailand? There's a place with great food!

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
My wife mentioned Thailand this morning as one of the places she wants to visit.

EMILY said…
Well, I highly recommend it.

EMILY said…
I once played Golden Tee in a bar for a full 5 minutes before realizing I wasn’t really playing—the computer was. Turns out, I hadn’t put in any money. Also turns out, I had too much to drink. Anyway, my question is: which one of you guys holds the high score on Golden Tee?

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
Re: Golden Tee. I have no idea as I am the only one in the writing department who doesn't play. Even Marty G. who doesn't golf plays!

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said...
So how are you enjoying season four so far? High points? Low points?

EMILY said...
I'm really enjoying it. I'm one of those people in the "I'm doing perfectly fine with the cast changes" department, so that helps.

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
Ah, the cote de boeuf has arrived. It looks delicious. Try the golden fries. They're to die for.

EMILY said…
Well, I see why it's a shared course!
Looks good...

EMILY said...
I generally don't think in terms of faves or least faves, but Tabula Rasa really stands out for me.

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said...
Yeah, Tabula Rasa is probably my favorite of the first half. It really came together well in terms of, well, everything. The two distinct looks of the past and present and the jumping back and forth was a lot of fun. I also enjoy the occasional episode when our characters are not "quite themselves".

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said...
Overall, I'm very pleased with season four. Which is a good new bad new thing because that means we're going to have to find a way to top ourselves.

EMILY said...
I have confidence in you, Joe. And the entire writing team, of course. You know what would REALLY boosts ratings, though? Bringing back Torri!!!!!! Ok, I'm sorry. I couldn't resist. For the record everyone, THAT WAS A JOKE.

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said...
Hey, I like Torri.

EMILY said…
I never said I didn't. DON'T PUT WORDS IN MY MOUTH, JOE.

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said...
I meant to say: "WE love Torri!"

EMILY said…
What was your favorite candy as a kid?

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
I loved a chocolate bar called Butter Rum that was s sort of like Caramilk but had a butter rum filling. Unfortunately, whenever I visited my grandmother, it was either those cloying fruit jellies or the chocolate-covered whipped marshmallow cookies. Hated those.

EMILY said…
Hey, I liked those chocolate-covered whipped marshmallow cookies! I hated circus peanuts. Ugh.
I always liked Milky Ways.

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
Milky Way = too chewy.

EMILY said…
I suppose you didn't like Charleston Chews then, eh?

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
Never tried it.

EMILY said...
Did you have to make any changes to the S4 finale when you learned that you’d been picked up for another season?

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said...
No. Our season finale was set in stone long before the decision was made regarding the show's fifth season. We always intended to end it on a cliffhanger - our reasoning being that even if the show did not get picked up, we would find a way to end the story for fans of the show.

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
Oooh, I'm getting stuffed. Did you try the Bearnaise sauce?

EMILY said...
Interesting.
Who is your favorite SG1 and SGA character? And please don’t say, “I like them all.” NOTE: This question has nothing to do with the individual actors/actresses themselves.

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said...
On SGA, my inner nerd connects with McKay. On SG-1, it was smart-ass Jack O'Neill and, later, the roguish Vala. At the end of the day, they're all a lot of fun to write for but if I had to choose...

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
Okay, one more slice of beef and I'm done.

EMILY said…
That's all you can eat?? You're being out-eaten by a girl, you know...

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
I'm saving room for dessert.

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said...
Speaking of which, what would you like?
Creme brulee? The Manjari chocolate terrine? The pear beignet? Or the roast dulce de leche pound cake?

EMILY said…
I'll go with the the pear beignet, since you seemed so excited about it when I arrived.

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
Okay. Two pear beignets. If you don't mind, I'll wrap up the leftover beef for the dogs. They thank you in advance.

EMILY said…
If I had a dog, I'd fight you for it. But alas, no pets. L

EMILY said...
You'd choose Chuck the technician?

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said...
Choose Chuck? For what? I'd have no personal use for him although, come to think of it, it would be kind of cool to have him operate my remote garage door opener.
"Open the garage door!"
"Opening the garage door, sir!"

EMILY said...
Hahaha!!! Maybe he could operate all your electronic appliances.

EMILY said...
I’ve asked this before on your blog and you didn’t answer it. Maybe that’s telling me it’s a dumb question, but I really am curious about this: There are loads of computers on [the set of] Atlantis. Are these all actually functioning computers? Do people utilize them when filming isn’t going on? Are they connected to the internet, etc?

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said...
They're functioning computers insofar as you can turn them on and off. And you can hook up a feed if you ever want to shoot a live back and forth off-world report-in.

EMILY said…
Ever been to New Orleans? They have good beignets there.

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
I have been to New Orleans. Way back when! Talk about a great eating city! We went to Arnaud's and Antoine's and that place with the $50 eggs benedict every which way. We would have brunch at the Court of Two Sisters.

EMILY said…
Yeah, I was there way back in the day, too. I think I was 15, or something. I definitely wasn't eating $50 eggs benedict, I'll tell you that much!

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
I'd love to go back.

EMILY said...
Do the writers ever throw in little exchanges/scenes because they know they’ll get a particular fan group buzzing? Like, “Hey, how about if Sheppard gets punched in this scene? The Sheppard whump advocates will love that!”

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said...
Oh, occasionally we may throw in a fun reference or little exchange as a tip of the hat to the fans.

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
Hey, desserts here. Awesome. It comes with ice cream!

EMILY said...
Yummers (in regards to the dessert, that is).
Which color paper do you find most soothing on the eyes in terms of script phase? Goldenrod? Salmon? Sea-foam green? Plain ol’ white?

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said...
The more colors, the more changes so I love the look of a mostly white script. Apparently, someone once sent in a spec on multi-colored pages becase that's the way they assumed a shooting script looked like.

EMILY said…
And it's more purdy that way.

EMILY said…
you should come to Wisconsin. We've got...cheese.

EMILY said...
Do any of the cast members read your blog?

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said...
There are tons of places in the U.S. I would love to visit.
As for actors reading my blog - don't think so.

EMILY said…
What was the worst job you ever had?

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
Worst job? I'm not sure. There are plenty of worst moments in various jobs. If I had to pick one, I'd go with that summer my friend and I were hired to clean a candy warehouse on weekends. We would spend the morning hosing down hardened syrup with high-pressure hoses, then spend the afternoon eating flakies.

EMILY said…
That really doesn't sound so bad...

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
Yours?

EMILY said…
Hmmm. Cashier at Target, not a high point. I hate dealing with customers (oh, I'm sorry--"guests"). But for guests, they were pretty damn rude.
I also did inventory for NAPA Auto Parts. Which was a laugh, since I don't know ANYTHING about car parts.
But I have to say, substitute teaching isn't a walk in the park, either.

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
Ooh, substitute teaching. Ouch.

EMILY said…
Yeah. Ouch.

EMILY said...
As a warning, I'm going to keep asking questions until you cut me off!
Who are your favorite villains? Goa’uld? Ori? Wraith? Replicators? Other?

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said...
I've always preferred villains with personalities, so I'd have to go with goa'uld, system lords in particular, Baal and Yu even more precisely.

EMILY said...
Ba'al was great. Probably one of my favorites, as well.

EMILY said...
What is your least favorite part of the writing process? Titles? Outlines? How about names? Do you have a hard time thinking of names to give your one-episode characters, or is that easy for you? How do you decide on names?

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said...
I usually just make them up. As for the hardest part of the process - starting a script. That is always very difficult and in my head I always think "the worst is over" and I suppose it sort of is - but starting the next scene is almost as bad. Writing can be a painful process a lot of the time and I don't think you'd find a professional writer who would say otherwise.

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
Uh oh, looks like that couple at the vestibule may need the table. They keep giving us the eye.

EMILY said…
Ok, FINE. If you need to go get ready for your "real" dinner with your "real" friends, then I suppose we can call it a night.

EMILY said…
Thanks so much for the dinner. You're paying, right? (Hey, I'm a substitute teacher) Do you ever tip the kitchen staff (sorry, for another question!)?
And thanks for answering all of my inane questions.
Much appreciated!

JOSEPH MALLOZZI said…
Yes, I'll pay and tip generously. Thanks for coming out. Don't forget to say goodbye to Chef Belcham and the gang on your way out.

EMILY said…
Will do. Many compliments to the chefs!
Enjoy your actual dinner, and say hi to Fondy for me! (since I know she'll be waiting for my hello)
T-minus 1 hour 45 minutes until the new episode SGA. :)

149 comments:

majorsal said...

it was great fun 'visiting' the two of you on your date! :D not that kind of date of course... :o

so i was putting up my tree -minus christmas music- and kept coming back to your blog for updates. but the tree's up! :D (i put the extra ornaments on my shelf because... well, i was ready to close up the box, but i could hear them crying, 'what about me???'... the poor sweeties ended up on my mantle shelf so they weren't left out. i wonder, though, if i hadn't taken them out, they would have sung, 'we're from the box of misfit ornaments'?... hmmm... )

so while you and emily ate fantastic food (and alien, going by the names), i was eating lays potato chips and pretzels with salad dressing for dip...

back on atlantis' front, i'm excited about the mid season finale! :D




sally :D

Aelfgyfu said...

To answer your question...maaaaybe. The deal has yet to be closed.

Huzzah! I certainly hope negotiations are successful on both sides!

Sounds like you both had a really cool dinner. You'll have to make this a prize again sometime!

Emily said...

Ok, Joe. I just thought of the weirdest thing I've ever eaten: Bbondegi. Which are silkworm larvae/chrysalides. They're sold in little stalls in Korea in a big vat full of them. Although sometimes they're more fried instead of slimy. You can also buy them in cans, like tuna. They're also a popular bar food. They stink like nothing else (except, perhaps, dried squid). They are terrible. Little flakes of them get stuck in your throat. But apparently, they're high in protein. If you care about such things.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Joe and Emily. It sounds as if you had a great time. The pear beignet looks delicious.

lizzyshoe said...

That was delightful! Thanks for sharing so we could all vicariously enjoy!

Promogirl said...

Joe, thanks fo much for letting the rest of us sit in on the virtual dinner. And thanks to Emily for that spot on Carson Beckett question!

By the way... for everyone supporting the writers' strike check out this link... http://speechlesswithoutwriters.com You'll see some pretty famous faces showing their support in some pretty amusing ways. A favorite is watching Patricia Clarkson literally reading the phone book.

PG15 said...

I assume it's safe now to comment again? If not, please disregard with my apologies.

But if so...that was great! 2.5 major story details revealed the last I checked (1. "Search and Rescue" - no, I didn't guess that from S$R. 2. Danny's got a story, even though it needs work, and 2.5. It's probably Carson that's coming back. Ha.). You both seem to be wonderful dinner guests...at least in print. Heh.

So, Joe, any preliminary plans for the big 1-o-o-o-o-o-o? I can't imagine how you'll top this.

Julie Ann said...

Hey, my cousin would like to write for Disney, but she's not sure how to go about getting an "in". Do you know if Paul has any advice? (Since he obviously got one)

Jeremy said...

I LOVED THIS EPISODE!!!!!! This has to be my favorite this season.

Unknown said...

Mr. Mallozzi,

GREAT Show ! And NO, I cannot tell what was added. The beeps and Rodney's "Oh Crap" was fantastic ! I hope you and your 'Family' have happy, healthy, and Food-Filled holidays !

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a mid-season show. David Hewlett just tore out my heart and stomped it. And then Joe Flanigan had a go. Good work.

Thornyrose said...

Sounds like Emily had a terrific dinner. Congrats, Emily, and good job on the questions. You did manage to get some tantalizing bits of information from your host.
This Mortal Coil. Well, you definitely fooled me on the ending. not the type of cliffhanger I was expecting, but what a solid episode. Heartbreak and humor, suspense and silliness. The Sci Fi previews spoiled the early suprise, but you wisely decided against drawing out the twist. And the characterizations... Ronan glaring at himself was as communicative as the Rodneys doing their mindreading act. Sheppard...too delicious. As for Weir, well, I am hoping that major twists are to come, because its just too painful to comptemplate an Atlantis universe without some form of Weir in it. And the fadeout to black was perfect, as was the final audio bit...
However difficult it was to put this episode together, it looks like the work paid off bigtime. And while its ending is tame compared to earlier cliffhanger multi-part episodes, I'll be going nuts trying to anticipate what is to come. Great job, Mr. M. thank you.(and of course to all the folks involved)

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed your virtual dinner.

Just stopped by to let you know that I loved ‘This Mortal Coil’. The ending made my giggle with the fade to black and then the extra beeps and McKay: “O crap”

Aussie TrueCat

Anonymous said...

Really!? NO Carter?? No Carter/Weir scene?

Fail.

Fucking Comtraya.

Cate said...

Okay, hats off, Mr. M. I understand now why that was a horror to write (and surely to shoot?) - but that was a great episode. I love character moments more than anything, so to see John and Rodney struggle to process Elizabeth (apparently) alive and well . . . and moments later to process her death - that was heartbreakingly well done. I love the idea of factions within the replicator base, of a struggle to quantify what makes someone authentic and/or human, and the prospect of what's to come. (The dark screen while we heard the sound of more ships appearing before Rodney and John was SO well done.)

So - what was the hardest thing about crafting that ep?

Can't wait for the midnight rerun to watch it all again.

Anonymous said...

If you love Las Vegas, have you eaten at Bouchon, Thomas Keller's restaurant in the Venetian? If so, how do those fries compare to Fuel's? The Bouchon fries are the best I've ever had. Anthony Bourdain almost cried when he tried them on his show because they were better than his at Les Halles.

Yin said...

Have now watched "This Mortal Coil" and EEEEEE. Joe, I love this season of SGA. Words cannot describe how much I love it all. *_* *throws hearts around* Thank you and the writers and producers and cast and everyone for this super super lovely season. ♥~~~

Anonymous said...

Emily- you’re awesome, great!
Joe- re: episode tonight: I have to say I’m totally confused

Anonymous said...

Really dug TMC, looking forward to your breakdown. I found myself liking Keller a lot more as the confident/sleek character the rep-K had going on. :) I thought the episode rocked, psyched for BAMSR, the wait will not be fun.

Do you know at this point if you'll be doing any of the commentaries for S4 DVD, as in this episode in particuliar?

Anonymous said...

P.S. You can relay to C Binder that he shouldn't feel bad his Trojans lost to Stanford, the much anticipated USC - LSU match-up would have been far worse. As OSU will likely find out.

Anonymous said...

This Mortal Coil --

I don't get it. Is Carter the leader of Atlantis? She's never around when big situations happen, so you'll have to forgive me if I'm confused. And having been doubled herself (to better dramatic effect), why wouldn't she be there advising the team on her experiences, what happened to her, etc. You know, leading-type stuff.

She's not even a character on this show, just a stunt casted guest star. What a waste of Amanda Tapping.

Anonymous said...

Joe,

Man, where do I start?

Losing Elizabeth once wasn't enough? We had to lose her twice?

It was incredible to see Torri on screen again. She was PHENOMENAL in this episode. Every scene reminded me of how much depth of feeling and character Torri can portray in every scene she's in.

And, seeing the "copies" of the team struggle with their identity and the real team creep out with coming face to face with themselves were interesting character moments. Rodney's admission that it was "Carson all over again" and that he wasn't ready to "deal with it" and then John saying he was going to box up Elizabeth's stuff and send it back to Earth - it was like, okay, everyone is giving up, it's all over. She's dead. All the hope, all the faith, all the possibility - squat, zip, nada, done. Broke my heart.

The story had great potential. I was hoping against hope for some dramatic reveal at the end that would make it all make sense. Nope, not even a whizzo button for Weir fans.

For crying out loud, Joe, we have to go through the whole experience of losing Elizabeth again?

The knife in the gut is twisting pretty good right about now.

No clue how she is supposed to be in another episode yet this season. Considering she's apparently been killed off twice now. What, another repli-Weir? A flashback? Repli-Keller was lying and the real Liz is still alive? A lost video message from Elizabeth we never got to see before? Did the original Weir ascend and will come back? Hell, did organic Repli-Weir ascend and will come back?

Problem is, Joe, I'm not sure I can hang in there any more for this ride. Roller coasters always did make me sick to my stomach.

Understand, Joe, I wrote this immediately after TMC aired. I was THRILLED to see Torri again on the show. After it's all said and done, now I don't know what to think.

Somehow, I don't think I'm the only fan standing at the crossroads right now.

SMB_BOOKS

Carolann said...

If you're looking for honest opinions, Joe, to be perfectly honest, I feel a little let down by 'This Mortal Coil'. Though it's not necessarily a killing blow, it seemed a little too similar to SG1's 'Tin Man' + 'Double Jeopardy' to feel like a truly unique and original idea. Also, nothing really changed over the course of the episode except for the fact that they now have a shiny new ship-detector and the Replicators confirmed what they already suspected about Weir being dead, which isn't a huge and climactic revelation in my book. It was like the whole idea of making repli-copies of the team was contrived as a fantastic and ultimately pointless way to simply give the team the device.

It would make a big difference to me to know if there is more behind the purpose of the creation of the repli-team besides obtaining the tracking device. Honestly, I don't feel like this episode, which is supposed to be a cliffhanger (right?), really incites me to be yelling and screaming at the TV (and at you :)) for having to make us wait 6 weeks to see the exciting conclusion of the cliffhanger. Maybe it wasn't meant to be like that, but I was watching TV back in 1990 as ST:TNG's "The Best of Both Worlds, part 1" finished airing just before midnight, and I screamed bloody murder at the TV for making me realize that I'd have to wait like 4 whole months before I'd get to see part 2.

I do watch the show, I'm a fan of the show, and the most highly anticipated episode of S4 for me is 'The Kindred', but I'm afraid 'This Mortal Coil' just didn't spark the same excitement in me. I really hope it'll be clearer later on in season 4 what the whole point of this episode was, or perhaps there is more you could offer us with your exposition about the script?

Joshua Meyers said...

I would also like to know the name of your thesis you mentioned a while back because It will take forever to find?

Jenn said...

Oh, what a thoroughly satisfying (and twisty! and exciting! and emotional!) end to the first half of what has really been an amazing season. Thank you!

Joshua Meyers said...

Jerry Seinfeld is not a fan of the way we adjelate actors,(he says) because they are just wearing a coat and saying a line when they are pointed at.

Do you have a problem with the way we adjelate actors? Which actor do you think is a genius?

Anonymous said...

Well, taht was a fun little conversation! Congrats again to Emily, you lucky dog!

Lovely twists tonight! I had been spoiled by gateworld and thoe previews, but I still managed to be surprised, and in multiple instances! :D

My fave bits: Stepford!Keller (Staite did brilliant work there!; John & Rodney's two-fold reaction to Weir's appearance (John's sad look when she said she wasn't the real Liz broke my heart); the Rodney+Rodney chatter and subsequent mirrored John eyerolls; the Rodney & Zelenka scene at the end (very poignant, great interaction between them, and awww, I wanna hug poor Rodney!!; and the McShep scene right after. Especially the continued sound effects and the "Oh Crap" after the fade to black! (Although ... I kind of expected a bigger cliffhanger, as in a more immediate danger ....)

So now I'm wondering -- is there more to them being caught than just the diversion? I mean, does their plan extend beyond that, as in they don't expect to be killed like they were told the original Weir was? Is that why we didn't see John putting up more of a fuss, or Copy!Ronon protesting that his life is just as valuable as the original or anything like that? That scenario just seemed a little ... abrupt, I guess, even if I do buy the idea of them being willing to sacrifice themselves, and especiallyy after John refused to let Rodney sacrifice himself last ep. Even if John couldn't see them as anything but copies, I'd think he'd be a lot less willing to lose the only (to his kowledge) Weir left ....

Definitely can't wait 'till January, though!!

psychedoc said...

Just watched tonight's episode and I must say that these last two episodes along with Tabula Rasa, Doppelganger and Travellers are what SGA should be. If Season Four had been Season 2, SGA would have a huge following. You are right to focus on the team dynamic, as it is truly the heart of the show. The characters are being allowed to grow and become more adult and well-rounded while retaining their charm and sibling-like squabbling(romantic interaction is usually the kiss of death, as you know). I always feel that complex characters are much more compelling than stereotypes. They are showing respect to one another which allows the viewers to have more respect for all of the characters.
You might also consider(by that I mean point out to TPTB) that there can be dire consequences for characters other than death. People change jobs and move on for lots of personal reasons, many of which are dramatic and interesting.
I'm looking foward to January with great anticipation. I finally feel that I'm back watching the show that I fell in love with back in season one.
Gotta go, the midnight rebroadcast is on, and I want to watch it again.

Anonymous said...

That exchange was quite adorable you two! I really loved reading it. You both are quite entertaining...even over dinner.

Now to This Mortal Coil. I loved it and hated it!!! Doesn't that make sense? I loved how the Fab 4 figured out something was going on that wasn't right. It was GREAT to see Weir again...then SO sad to find out the real Weir was dead. I can see why Oberoth would get rid of her as Elizabeth would be loyal to Atlantis to the end and would keep trying to change the Replicators and mess with them.(although it could still be a lie?)

TWO Rodneys??? OMGosh that was AWESOME! They were so funny and adorable together, finishing each other's sentences and having a total mutual admiration society fest. I was hoping to get more of that.

It was interesting that everyone went right up to their copies except Teyla. Both Teyla's hung back from each other...I guess they were too unsettled by each other?

Both Ronon's being upset that there was another one of them...he/they really like to be unique!

The episode didn't go much into John's reaction of finding another him...they hardly talked to each other and didn't discuss it with anyone.

And the prediction of the Seer came true...just not for the real Atlantis. I wondered if it was a Replicator Atlantis that was destroyed...but I couldn't figure out why a Replicator ship would destroy a Replicator Atlantis. So...do the real Atlantis crew know that the Seer's prediction came true, but not for them?

And the ending where they all died? That's what I hated! It was so sad to see Weir go...especially if she's the only Weir left. I actually got tears in my eyes when they all sacrificed themselves to save the "real" SGA crew. And John..defiant til the end! I do wonder why ALL of them had to go. Couldn't just one or two of them fly the ship and let the others escape. They didn't have to go back to Atlantis if their nannites weren't safe...they could have gated to another world and met up with the Atlantis crew later. Especially Elizabeth. The bad Replicators wouldn't have known that the good Replicators copied the crew as they destroyed the city and records of it. But I guess you guys didn't want any copies running around? That would have been cool to have two of some of them...especially McKay who seemed quite content to have an exact double.

Seeing Elizabeth again really made me miss her. She has such a sweet, smart, compassionate way about her. It's too bad there wasn't some way to work her in as maybe not the leader of Atlantis but as an Ancient expert, Earth liason, Pegasus Galaxy liason or something instead of killing her off. She's such a warm person, it has been wonderful to watch her character.

It was overall a truly great episode and ranks in my top 5 for this season!

Kimberly

Anonymous said...

Joe... I bet you're coming home to an inbox flooded with comments after tonights ep.

I've got to say you guys have guts. I didn't think you'd go all the way after all the fan wank.
I enjoyed the ep, but uh... shades of Tin Man? I know it's been a decade since that ep, but still.

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe,

I have to say "This Mortal Coil" was really really great. I just hope there is some story arc or episodes for Weir to return. I think Weir sold this episode and really brought out some nice character moments. Please don't say the real Weir is dead. This has been a great season so far, hate to see it go out in a tragedy.

Best,

Squall78

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say great episode, very emotional and may god be with you because you are about to suffer and insane amount of comments about the final final death of elizabeth weird.

take care!

Mags said...

I really loved the virtual dinner. I hope you do that as another prize in the future.

I have some sad news. Two nights ago my mother, Rhonda, passed away. The turn for the worse was very sudden, as was her going into hospice, and eventual passing three days later. It was also incredibly peaceful. We didn't have a funeral, we had a huge party this evening and an amazing amount of people showed up. I just wanted to say thank you to all the prayers and warm wishes that everybody on this blog left for me. I'm touched by how much virtual strangers have reached and opened up their hearts. I hope you can impart my thanks to everybody for me.

And if you get a chance to let everybody working on the show that they make a difference in people's lives by entertaining them during rough times. My mom was a huge Stargate fan and I'm just sorry she never got to see the return of her *favorite* Jack O'Neill in the movie next year. Although I'd like to believe she'll probably make her way into the screening :)

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I have never been a big fan of Weir's...but after tonight's episode I have to say that I finally am. So I'm wondering why, after setting up such an interesting premise with the Nanite-Weir (and the rest of the team), you decided to abandon it in the same episode you introduced it in.

I honestly haven't been overly impressed with this season, things have felt "off," but this episode was the first time that I felt like I was watching SGA again. I hope that you somehow manage to continue this storyline...because it offers so many amazing possibilities for not only the team but for a character that has finally been made interesting and dynamic!

Unknown said...

I think this was one of your best scripts, though it felt odd for a mid-season ender. I feel for the Weir fans, she's dead and the person on the screen wasn't her...that being said I'm glad the case is closed on that.

The reactions to duplicate team was indeed humorous and the thought provoking who's a copy and soul meta was interesting.

I also think John's stick fighting has really improved! Now can he show some of that in a cool fighting scene soon!

Also kudos on referencing his past retrovirus incident and thinking of a possible relapse. Sucked on by a bug, teh retorvirus, I often wonder if his DNA is not screwed up for life! The continuity for this season has been great.

I liked that John and "Elizabeth" had one final scene together. And the closure for the team about her. Enjoyed the last scenes of Rodney and John's emotional fallout to her death. The hope of finding her is gone and it was really touching.

The arguing Ronons was awsome.

The pace felt odd to be in places, but overall I enjoyed this.

A closing of one chapter and opening another.

Anonymous said...

Horrible, absolutely horrible episode. I was holding out hope and reserving my opinion until this episode for Atlantis but it appears that my hopes for Elizabeth and what TPTB have in mind for her are completely at odds. I wish you the best of luck and continued success with the show but it's time for me to move on to other things.

majorsal said...

well, joe, so sam's not at atlantis because she was visiting hubby jack on earth? that's a good explanation. :p



sally :D

Anonymous said...

I thoroughly enjoyed This Mortal Coil. I loved the "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" feel to the the first part. Very well done! It was good to see Torri again. The humor was well balanced with the drama. Mr. Hewlett is a master.

Good script and good performances. Thank you to all involved! I'm quite excited about the second half. How many days until January 4?

Amy said...

"Oh crap!"
Best line in the show!!

I loved every part of this episode and I can't wait for my Amazon Unbox to download so I can watch it again and again! Everyone did a great job with this episode and I loved seeing Jewel play a different character. McKay and McKay talking to each other was hilarious! The special effects for the destruction of "Atlantis" were amazing!

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Joe, but you've officially lost me. I can't believe you PTB are so stupid as to get rid of Torri Higginson.

What the hell went on? Do you even watch your own show? Do you see the amazing chemistry she has with the cast? There's nobody else on the show who manages that with everyone, and you've lost it.

You've also lost a lot of the fans who've been giving it a go this season, because we hoped you wouldn't be so stupid as to get rid of Weir by killing her off.

All I can say is that's it for me. I'm never again going to watch a show run by someone who can't see talent when they see it.

Anonymous said...

Tin Man + Double Jeopardy + blips showing up on screen a la Reckoning = Total Copy

Oh, for sure one of the added scenes was the fanservice scene with Mckay and Zelenka at the end. The other was probably either the walk and talk with Ronon and Teyla or one of the villainous asides with Keller/Lorne/Zelenka.

Si or no?

Annie said...

Gah I have to wait until tomorrow morning to get my fix of "This Mortal Coil"!!! Sounds like a cool episode.

I see you changed the pics too a little. Is that the main chef, the one with his hair hanging down over his face? At least if you find a hair in your soup you can blame him..(no hats?).

Glad you and Emily had a good time on your Vdate. I enjoyed following it along (gotta love the refresh button).. that 'maaaaaaybe' got me intrigued *gets on knees* please seal the deal with Paul!

Ok really really important question. Daffy Duck or Donald Duck?

Annie said...

Oh and P.S I am waiting on "Ghost Story" by Peter Straub in the mail...all the way from the US. (Cheaper believe it or not).

Thanks for inspiring me to pick up a book again.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making it so much easier to give up Atlantis.

You give us an episode that's essentially a rehash of about three SG1 episodes, and then kill off one of the most engaging characters in scifi.

Yay for you. I hope the audience votes with its remotes and gives you what you deserve.

Anonymous said...

1. Just wondering why it seems that Carter is not mentioned that much in eps she is not in? Granted Wier was in this ep as it was a Fake Atlantis. But is it just Sheppard taking over more of the day to day stuff with Carter being the 'Captain Picard' in the ready room only being called when she is needed?

2. Have you guys ever thought of what would happen if say the IOA ordered Atlantis to be powered up and flown back to Earth? Would the IOA kind of fall apart when Atlantis would be on earth and everyone wants control?

Anonymous said...

I've never loved a show as much as I loved Atlantis seasons 1-3.

I've never loved a fictional character as much as I love Elizabeth Weir.

You've lost me once and for all. I've been giving it a go until now, trusting that you'd never do anything really bad to Elizabeth, but TMC was the final straw.

Thanks for teaching me never to get so invested in a show or a character again. It's a tough lesson to learn, but I've learned it.

I've also learned that after seeing the way you've treated Weir, and the way Torri's been discarded like she's a negative for the show, when she's anything but, that I don't want to watch anything else you're involved in.

Good luck for your future, but I won't be watching your shows.

I want good things for the actors from SGA and I'm so proud of David and Paul for their movie work and of Joe for getting the recurring job on Women's Murder Club.

As for TPTB, well there's a reason many fans now call you The People Who Killed The Show.

Anonymous said...

Joe, it sounded like you both had a really good time on your virtual dinner date! You will definately have to have that as a prize again sometime!
Cathie

K8T said...

Hi Joe,

Thanks for letting us in on your dinner "date." The food looked great, especially the beef and dessert.

Can't say anything about the ep b/c I haven't see it yet. But from what I've seen in regards to comments it looks like there is a mixed reaction. Gee...go figure eh? Nonetheless, I look forward to watching it soon. I really need a break from studying and term papers. Between the last two days I've only gotten 4 hours of sleep. Term papers that involve writing in a group where two of the group members don’t speak or write in English well, is cruel and unusual punishment!! However, I would like to announce the birth of a wonderful and comprehensive 55-page document, bound and complete with color diagrams that will never be spoken of again.

Questions:
What is the strangest food you've eaten? And did you enjoy it?

Have you been watching Canada's Worst Driver? All I have to say is ARGH the guys from Vancouver and Calgary are horrible!!

Who do you think will win Survivor? How about The Amazing Race?

What would you be if you weren’t a writer?

Can you let me in on your little secret regarding time travel? (I’d like to get the last two days back. Please?)

And, how do you get through those gruelling papers (during school) and script rewrites?

Thanks Joe for providing the mental break in the form of your blog. Also, the video of Lulu going snow crazy is just too precious. It is greatly appreciated.

Stay safe and warm.

-Katie

♥ANAIS♥ said...

Hello Joseph!
waou j'adore la photo de vous, que vous avez mis!
Sympas ce petit dinner =) vous avez l'aire d'avoir bien manger^^!
Moi je préféré que sa soit Paul qui revienne!

Je suis super fatiguer!! Hier je suis rentré a 1h30 du matin, car il y'avais un loto avec ma best friend dans ma commune! Ahaha il y'avais que des personne agée, mais on a bien rigolo! et j'ai même gagner une bouteil de vin!! yéé lol!

enfin bon je suis contente, car c'est le week ent et j'aurais besoin de vous en fin de semaine, pour un jeu que je vais faire sur mon blog.

Bon je repassré ce soir. Kisou a toute a l'heure:

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess this is game over.

Thanks for nothing.

The way you've killed off Weir has finally lost me.

I've been giving it a go this season, but that's it.

Have a nice life. I hope you continue to get the 0.9 ratings you deserve.

Anonymous said...

I also loved This Mortal Coil; it was excellent in so many different ways (including the title, with all its foreboding). I especially appreciated that so many characters were not only present, but were given very strong scenes, some taking up a relatively small amount of time yet packing a big punch.

Likewise, the VFX may not have been as jaw-droppingly awesome as they are, say, in battleship-attack scenes (or for a person whose dream state takes her from the top to the bottom of the city in an almost vertigo-inducing drop). Still, we got some really wonderful city-seascapes - really loved the one with Atlantis lit up at night - and some more subtle but excellent work with photography and lighting that worked so well for the many changes in atmosphere. And like you said, Joel Goldsmith's score was amazing. I'm glad you mentioned it beforehand; often I miss the audio FX due to concentrating on the dialogue. I think for this ep that was my favorite atmospheric effect, but I'm sure there's much behind-the-scenes work I know nothing or little about. Kudos to cast and crew. :)

I know everything else I liked about TMC will be covered by someone else, including the core issue of some Replicators wanting to be able to have a soul in order to be able to ascend. That really is incredibly touching. Many of the viewers, I'm sure, recognized that as a longtime theme in literature and mythology; but I appreciated the fresh and SGA-specific treatment it received for this episode.

Tired brain, but sincere thoughts. Hope you have a good weekend.

Joshua Meyers said...

Set tours, are there any organised for the 08 SG-Con?

Anonymous said...

dearest joe,

thanks alot for the dedication last time....by the way superb eppy....best and favorite of mine so far :0

Anonymous said...

More Keller please! Love Jewel Staite and the more she is on the less we have to suffer of Teyla's wooden personality.

Also, Carter is pretty good too. She has fit in really well.

Joshua Meyers said...

Correct me if I am wrong:
The City of Atlantis does not encompass the repository of Ancient knowledge. The data base contains only the excursions, science and knowledges of places the Ancients have been to and or gathered knowledge from. (ie. Ascension and knowledge from experiment such as: Project Arcturas, and the sociological expermentation(game).

Because this was my understanding.

Joshua Meyers said...

Are their any factions of Alterans who have ascended and will help DJ and SG-1 in AoT?

Anonymous said...

Mags, I'm so sorry about your mom! I'm glad you were able to celebrate her life tonight. I've always said that I would rather have a party than a funeral when I die! You and your family are in my prayers. God bless.

Kimberly

Anonymous said...

I forgot to comment about John and Rodney seeing Elizabeth again. They were so happy to see her at first and then you could just see their sadness as it wasn't really her.
Then at the end when Zelenka was so sweet talking to Rodney, and Rodney just couldn't deal with losing Elizabeth and wouldn't talk about it...but has changed enough to not be snarky and to even thank Zelenka...wow! And the comment about this being Carson all over again...so sad. Then John coming in and telling him he's packing up Elizabeth's stuff for good...John looked like he had tears in his eyes! Rodney didn't want to talk about it..but acknowledged him. I just wanted to hug them both!

I was glad you ended on a humorous note as that was a really sad episode with all the copies dying...especially Elizabeth. The fade to black and the extra ton of beeps and Rodney's "Oh crap!" were a great end to the show.

Kimberly

Randonomity said...

Atlantis just saved me from having a long hard weekend ahead of me doing an english speech. Thats twice it's saved me in English this year, so thanks Joe!

Sand said...

Do you think there is a market for pet photography? Would you pay someone to take professional photos of your pets?

Anonymous said...

Oh my god Joe- This Mortal Coil was fantastic. Loved it!!!Really different!

Scenes that stood out for me were: Original Atlantis reactions to Elizabeth being alive and also their reactions to her death -the Radek/Rodney scene at the end was perfect (and so well acted). I really liked the two Rodneys -really cracked me up! The Atlantis copies realising that to the Originals they appear lesser then them and the realisation that they would be treated as such..Elizabeth /John scenes were awesome!!

I was a little surprised by the lack of carter in original Atlantis scenes...but I guess it worked better just having the four who had been cloned! I also loved the scenes of destruction of copy Atlantis and how this is the flashes the team saw in "The Seer" -Brilliant!

I'm a little confused by the fate of the copies? Did they get killed or what?

Overall five stars!! Well done and Thank you for such an awesome episode :)

Anonymous said...

Another amazing episode. Wow, so full of twists and turns. The interactions between the two teams was spot on, along with the emotional gut twisting of finding that Elizabeth was dead (really didn't see that one coming). Excellent way to end the mid-season, just makes it harder to wait these looooong 4 weeks. Broken record here, but season 4 ROCKS!

Also enjoyed the dinner conversation, would love to see that as a prize again. Great questions Emily!

Have a wonderful and safe holiday Joe

Anonymous said...

Being an Atlantis only fan, I cannot comment on certain episodes being or not being SG-1 rip-offs. However, speaking about TV/movies in general, I have to say that, in my opinion, 99% of the stuff you see on TV shows/movies out there have lots of elements in common. What makes it interesting is how the characters of a given show react when put into that situation and where that takes them. If not, why have 2 cop shows for example? Most of them follow the same structure: there's a murder/mystery to solve (and the same crime/mystery in question has been done in 100 TV shows before), the main characters investigate and in the final act catch the bad guys. And still people interested in the genre watch them because it doesn't matter whether the idea has or hasn't been done before. What it matters is how the characters in that TV show in particular react in that situation.

I'm not a sci fi fan (never watched a sci fi show before Atlantis). I'm putting the cop shows as an example because I've watched many of them, but I think this can be extrapolated to all the other genres. If you want to think something is a rip-off just because it has some/several elements in common with other shows, what about all the sci fi shows portraying aliens? Are all rip-offs of whatever show portrayed aliens first?

Anonymous said: "She's not even a character on this show, just a stunt casted guest star. What a waste of Amanda Tapping."

Before season 4 started and the news about Carter came in, quite a bunch of Atlantis fans were concerned about a character from another show coming to take over their fave show. And I'm not talking about Atlantis-only fans like me. From what people posted here, some fans who watched both shows were concerned as well because, you know, if you are already watching a show it's because you like it as it is and enjoy the characters of that show. If not, why watch it?

When fans made angry comments about the show becoming the "Sam Carter show", Joe Mallozzi said that they should just wait and watch season 4, that they were over-reacting and that Sam's role would be supporting only, not unlike that of General Hammond or Landry. Now, I haven't watched SG-1, but from what some SG-1 fans told me, it's not like Hammond and Landry had more screen time than Sam did. He also said that she would be in 14 episodes out of 20. And Amanda Tapping said before s4 started that she had to film Atlantis only one or two days per week at most (my guess is that The Seer and Trio are the exception since she had more scenes, so she might have needed to be there more than one or two days in that week).

If the supporting-role-not-unlike-Hammond-and-Landry and Sam-being-in-14-episodes-only gave some people the wrong idea about how much screen time she would have, then I'm sorry for you. But I wouldn't call it "stun casted guest star", when TPTB said in advance that she wouldn't be much there. It's not like they led SG-1 people to believe "hey, look, watch the show because she'll have a huge part in it".
I don't know what the SG-1 people expected, but for once I'm glad Mr. Mallozzi remained true to his word. And hope this continues in season 5.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Joe

Just a quick line to say I'm hoping and praying Carson will be a more permanent presence in SGA s5...

And, also, thank you to you, (writers) and to the Hewletts for the magic you inspired in each other for Miller's Crossing... OK, so I've seen the storyline before, but the character to character stuff, and moments like Ronon's change in style, they made sure it was a show with something worthwhile to say, and to add to the story of SGA, and backstory of the family McKay..!

Remember though, we're still going to be infuriating and ask you to bring Carson back again!!

Thanks for putting up with us...

From Bethany S. Heard, UK

Anonymous said...

No Sam in the mid-season finale. That says a lot.
Very disappointed.

Mike P.

Unknown said...

OMG! Watched Miller's Crossing last night. It's hands down my favorite episode so far this season (yes, there were some logic flaws in the plot but the rest was so good, they were easily ignored). I didn't watch This Mortal Coil last night because MC was just so good that I needed to let it settle in and savor it.

I adore the eps that put the characters in a moral quandary. And John! Giving Wallace that extra little push so he sacrifices himself and the way the guilt is painted on John's face at the end. Like he knows he'd do it again, but it still eats him up inside. And McKay volunteering to be wraith food. Love the way his character has grown and his new bond with Jeannie. And Ronon trapped in that awful, hellish cafeteria was hysterical. Not sure what Ronon was in this ep for -- other than to look good that is. But he did it very, very, well.

Anyhow, loved Ronon and John. So unbelievably sexy. But what the heck were you guys thinking about with McKay's outfit? I haven't seen anything as bad as those pants since the 70's. No way would McKay even go some place that he'd find them. He'd never buy anything but jeans and khakis. Either you guys messed up or I better find out in a future ep that they were present from someone playing a practical joke on him. Yes, yes, I know, I'm obsessing on the clothing. Next...

Caleb was terrific in this ep. The worry and the yelling. Perfectly acted. Loved the dinosaurs on the kitchen cabinet but in one cut they were very obviously missing. The discontinuity really jarred because I had attached to them.

Sigh. So, so, good. I'll watch it again later today and then maybe watch TMC tonight. Thanks for a terrific evening.

OhioAnne said...

Loved the epidsode and saw it as a very different type of cliffhanger.

No, it was Shepherd screaming "Koyla", but, just as things seemed to be settling down there was a drawn-out moment where a tale was told with beeps and a single two word sentence.

(The first season, I failed to keep track of when the midseason was supposed to be - until literally that moment. I was screaming along with Shepherd - but at the television set :-) - when I found out I had to wait for a resolution.)

The episode also did give me some insight into SEER which I didn't like (still don't but it makes a little more sense to me now).

I really didn't expect to like the Mortal Coil either to be truthful. There was, as several people mentioned, the same theme in SG1 episodes and at least one Star Trek episode comes to mind. But I did like it.

For one reason, the copies were true to the originals. Even though they found out they weren't "real", they had a committment to the real Atlantis and protecting it and nothing was going to stop them from their mission.

Second, because it reminded us that the Replicators are multi-dimensional. They wanted to ascend but felt betrayed by the Ancients. Then, here comes the humans who, they feel, are betraying them again. Yet, some Replicators still want to do what they see as the "right thing" from a (so to speak) more eternal perspective.

Replicators confirmed what they already suspected about Weir being dead,

Is she dead? Or was that simply what the David Ogden Stiers character wants his own people to believe?

A problem with "never say never" in SciFi is that it blunts the emotional result a bit because you are never really sure the character is really dead.

One last comment ....

I never was much of a Weir fan. I saw lots of potential in the beginning - especially in her first two episodes played by the other actress - and in the first episodes of the series. Then, ... well, not so much afterward.

It had nothing to do with Torri Higginson who is a fine actress and a hoot to listen to on the DVD commentaries.

I just didn't like the character.

I have to say, though, the two her last episodes have warmed me up to the character quite a bit. Last night, she was amazing.

Really gave me insight into why so many people have invested themselves in the "save Weir" campaign.

Unknown said...

Mr. Mallozzi,

This is my first 'double-comment', so please forgive me. It really is a comment ON the comments. I, too, recognized the similarities to 'Double Jeopardy', but if you took these doubles, and killed their nanites, they would BE HUMAN. BIG difference ! And, since John2 was alive after the crash, why would the others be DEAD ? It was not a 'how will they get out of this' cliff-hanger. It was far more difficult to create (I have to assume). It was a completely OPEN cliff-hanger ! This episode can take a million turns to arrive at some 'second-half' episode, and therefore it was Friggin' BRILLIANT ! The only thing I second-guessed was that I would have had John and Elizabeth hug before they parted. They've done it before, so it would not be out-of-character, and it would have drove (hammered?) a point home.
Anyway, GREAT episode, GREAT acting, GREAT writing, and everything else !! THANKS !!!!!

Paula said...

::applauding Emily::

A wonderful interview! And quite entertaining.

Joe, marvelous selections for dinner. You should hire yourself out as a professional restaurant escort, or something.

daysecraze said...

Thank you for sharing your date with us, I'll be sure to read it in more detail later, but I wanted to ask you a quick question before I went to work...

I really enjoyed This Mortal Coil, can't wait for the next part! In the scene where Sheppard is confronted by the replicator Lorne, and he shoots him in the leg - is that really Joe Flanigan? Because that was one hell of a quick draw!

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Dear Joe,

I can't believe you did it; you've made me a very sad Weir-fan. I'm in denial right now. Should I move on the the next stage of mourning, or is there still a spark of hope left?

Thank you anyway, for 3 seasons of great fun and an awesome character that I've come to love so much.

solemn_eyed

Unknown said...

THANK YOU for killing Elizabeth (the "real" original one) for good. Finally! I know everybody says that nothing ever stays dead in sci fi, but I think once you've engaged the enemy, you're toast. Sumner=dead, Grodin=dead, Markham (or was it Stackhouse?)=dead, the Hot Zone scientists=dead, etc., etc. Now we can move on and not have to deal with all those tiresome "plz bring her back full time for season 5!" requests.

(I can definitely see bringing Torri back for an episode or two, but Weir is effectively no longer in the picture, and that's a good step. Life usually travels in one direction and if you stand still, you rot.)

I do have a question, though, or maybe it's more like an observation: Sam's shared premonition with the Seer (the city's destruction) happened when she wasn't even there -- it happened to the replicator copy of Atlantis. So wouldn't it have been kind of important that she be in a scene where she's told that the vision had indeed come true? I understand production/contract logistics could've prevented Amanda from taking part in this episode, but couldn't you have added a throwaway line that indicated that now she knew that her vision had come to pass? Or is this something you'll get to in a later episode?

So thanks again for another strong show. I can't say that I LOVED the episode (since death always puts a damper on things, go figure), but it was a good one, and a needed one, imo.

Oh! I was reading through the comments and was reminded of the way Teyla hung back at the initial meeting of the doubles. Could've been her normal reticence, sure, but I like to think that the "real" Teyla knew that the copy Teyla wasn't like her at all -- the copy didn't know about the pregnancy -- and thus wasn't fazed with the apparent doubling. Her uniqueness was protected by the baby. :)

Anonymous said...

*hugs* to mags!!! I'm sorry for your loss! :(

Okay, why is everyone (I mean the fans) so convinced that the real Elizabeth is dead, just because RepliWeir couldn't think of a reason Keller would be lying to her or not know Liz's true fate? And why are y'all so convinced the RepliSgA-1 are dead too? This is sci fi! Sure, maybe the Replicators did kill them after they found them, but given the show's penchant for twists, I'd say it's just as likely that they did not! :P Buck up! ^^

Anonymous said...

i was actually surprised she didnt try and pump you more for info and opinions on season 4 and beyond, but all in all it seemed kinda funny

itd be neat to see the same thing happening to the one millionth person, maybe an hour and one millionth of a second next time

Anonymous said...

You should spend less time writing on your blog, and more time working on trying to write better episodes.

All my friends that have watched "This Mortal Coil" are upset and angry about how bad it was, and how you treated Torri Higginson ...
I'm one of the thousands of fans who have stopped watching both shows after you and the others TPTB ruined it. But you still have Atlantis running so that the money keeps rolling in, so well, good for you!
I just think when the series finale airs, there won't be any fans to watch it, they will all have moved on to better shows ...

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. M.
Here is some holiday cheer with a little help from elves named Sheppard, McKay, Dex, and Emmagan. Enjoy!
http://www.elfyourself.com/?id=1237339211

Anonymous said...

TMC, overall, good episode. About 10 minutes in I was thinking it was the best episode of the season, by end it was a good episode, but maybe not the best. Having the replicators take on the form of whoever they want is a good decision I think, and can open up a lot of stories as well.

It was sad hearing Elizabeth is gone, when I knew she'd be back for more episodes I imagined they'd make her survive. It's a shame really...

But yeah a good strong episode, with some plot twists you didn't see coming. JS played the role quite well in this episode. And it's also good to see Mckay mentioning the whole Carson thing, showed it did get to his character and did have an impact on it. Sure Sunday he was upset but after that episode it barely got a mention, it's good to see it did do something for his character.

Good episode though, probably a 9/10.

Anonymous said...

TMC = Jump.The.Shark

What was this? The body snatchers? Tin Man? Double Jeopardy? Gemini?

Weir dies off screen? Whole thing was stupid. What is left to watch? Carter, who puts me to sleep? Incompetent Keller? Sucky writing over and over?

I'm moving on to other channels. Good luck w/season 5.

Anonymous said...

Are you a boxing fan, Joe? Have you been caught up in the hype that is 'Hatton V Mayweather'?

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Hazlet, New Jersey! I viewed & much enjoyed This Mortal Coil last night. While quite dark in terms of timbre and most interior lighting, it was very well done Joe. Thank you.
Question #1: Teyla was visually rotund in this episode. Why haven't any of her team mentioned/questioned the physical changes?
Question #2: Why did the duplicate team so easily volunteer for a suicide diversion? No strong survival sense?
I noticed Ronan mentioned Atlantis in the context of "home". That was wonderful. Question #3: Does time passage on Atlantis mirror actual time on Earth, as in 3.5 years have passed on the expedition?

I immensely enjoy your Blog and the SGA saga! Thanks again and keep those episode gems coming.

Anonymous said...

Great job Emily!!!

Sooo Joe *ahem* "We have a bare-bones idea for the Daniel story but it still needs much fleshing out."

Love your 'way with words' there Joe! Yup my mind is still in the gutter. Just wanted to stop in and give you a ((hug)) for that very special Daniel dream I had last night.

P.S. Can't wait to see Daniel on Atlantis. Oh, and please let us know when that 'bare-bones' idea is more 'fleshed' out.

Anonymous said...

After watching This Mortal Coil, I don't know exactly how to feel. It was nice to see Elizabeth again, but I feel cheated. We were given an interesting way to bring the character back, only to have it taken away before the episode is finished. The duplicate idea was an interesting premise, but I'm not quite sure why you decided to create it and abandon it in the same episode. I'm hoping this storyline continues somehow, if only for the chance to bring Elizabeth back again (for good). It's hard enough to lose your favourite character once, but twice in the same half of a season is heartbreaking. I had been filled with excitement while waiting for the episode to air, but now that it's over, I just feel empty. When Elizabeth first came on screen, I had hoped that she wouldn't be taken away quite so quickly. I should have known better than to get my hopes up. Telling us the real one is dead, then killing off the duplicate (because that's how it definitely looked) was just crushing.

You let me down Joe. I'm not sure about watching the second half, and it has almost nothing to do with Elizabeth. More to do with the fact that I've been trying to give the show a chance this season, even though some of it has been painful to watch (and I'm not just talking about losing characters here). But now with no cliffhanger for the mid-season finale, I've not even been given a reason to want to come back. Come January, we'll see. I usually don't let go of shows I've watched this long so easily, but right now it's not looking promising.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Emily & Joe for an informative & very entertaining dinner conversation!! well done. This Mortal Coil = shuffling line from Hamlet and a somewhat flat cliffhanger since anyone who's followed Stargate for any length of time already knew the Replicators had a massive fleet, bigger than the Wraith's and who *really* thinks the one-time destruction of shipyards on ONE planet was going to stop or slowdown a MACHINE race?? what did the Asgard say about them!! Great seeing Weir again- her character has had more clout in this storyline than in the last 2 yrs- very sad the expedition now has to officially consider her dead (I don't think she is, anymore than Ford) but I'm glad the rest of the season won't have focus on John's determination to find her. WHERE is Carter? Repli-Keller came off better than the original and Lorne still needs a first name. Loved Radek's end scene. I have to comment too, now seeing them side by side, I like the new jackets better. I am most happy with Sheppard & McKay character growth... awesome drama & the actors are playing it beautifully. For a fleeting minute I wondered if Ronon was going to kill his duplicate himself. We only saw the discharge of a weapon on dupe-Sheppard, not the rest of them so who knows who got away... definitely going to be a tough 4 wks to wait but I am SOOO looking forward to the promised big honkin space battle!!!! I'm VERY happy with Season 4 collectively so far.
DD

Anonymous said...

Joe,

Thanks for another great episode! I can see why this one was so hard to write -- very complex!

Favorite moments -

Sheppard - "Las time I came face to face with myself I kicked my own ass."

The whole McKay/McKay excange. So funny you may have started a whole new slash/ship fandom - McKay/McKay

Ending fade to black - Beep. Beep. "Oh, crap."

I'll take a wild guess as the two added scenes:
- the real Teyla/Ronan walking in the woods (just before the new Teyla/Ronan walking in woods)
- the McKay/Zelenka scene at the end "this is like Carson all over again"

Close?

Also, the scene sparked a thought about that promo shot of Larrin holding Shep captive (again)...hmmm...which Shep?????

WB

the dixon-stubblefield blog said...

Just buzzing through with a question I had after watching the show last night - would the anti-replicator weapon work on the - what are we calling "team 2"? repliteam? Anyway, would the ARGs work on them or not? Or only kill the nanites and not the "people" part of them?

And related, but if the original SG1 replicators were bugs that figured out how to make human shaped replicators, just wondering if we'll ever know how the Ancients made the replicators in the Pegasus galaxy.

Rhonda: deepest sympathy on the loss of your mom.

Ok, back to house cleaning, the joy of my Saturdays.

Wams352

NCC-72452 said...

Hi,

First time poster here. Just wanted to let you know that TMC, IMHO, was the best episode since the two starting episodes of S4. I will say that you have balls, mister. I've been reading the postings over the last couple of weeks, and with all of the Weir posts, you knew that they'd be tuning in for this episode, and you basically said, "Weir's dead!"

For everyone saying that this episode is a little too much like "Double Jeopardy," or "Tin Man," have you been paying attention to the rest of the season? Most of the episodes have loose to strong SG-1 equivalents.

Doppelganger = Cold Lazarus
Travelers = Prometheus Unbound
Tabula Rasa = Beneath the Surface
The Seer = Prophesy
Millers Crossing=Desperate Measures
This Mortal Coil = Double Jeopardy

Reunion reminded me of one too, but I can't remember it right now. After more than ten years, it happens. I guess I'm used to it from Star Trek.

One last thing, I wanted to offer hope to those Weir fans so that they don't give Joe too hard a time. They left themselves so many outs in TMC, as any clever writer does, and you should all realize by now that JM falls into that category. I've never seen those Replicator weapons do anything but stun a target. Additionally, they can be created again. Regarding the real Weir, you're trusting intelligence provided by a resistance faction regarding a military captive. I don't doubt repli-Keller (who I oddly liked more than the original) in her sincerity, but I can think of several situations that would cause Oberoth to lie about Weir's death, and as we've seen, deception is possible within their "collective." Someone earlier mentioned the possibility of Weir ascending. Can you imagine what would happen if that got out in their society? A human/replicator hybrid ascending? It would kick Niam's Rebellion into overdrive! In the "Tao of Rodney," Weir was researching ascension in order to help Rodney. That was only seven episodes before she was captured. As a mentor of mine once said, "There are always possibilities."

Long post, my apologies. Thank you for your blog!

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an ep! Another great one!

Even if I hadn't seen the Sci-Fi teaser (which gave too much away in my opinion) I would have guessed something odd was going on - old uniforms! - but the teaser gave me enough to work some of it out. That'll teach me to watch Sci-Fi's teaser online, won't it?!

Anyway, I loved the episode from start to finish. Best scenes for me (bearing in mind my Rodney obsession!):

The two Rodney's and their mind reading and ego x 2 had me LOL!! (Oh, and mentioning that the old uniforms bunch up and are uncomfortable was a great idea!)

Rodney and Radek's end scene and Rodney's 'it's like Carson all over again' and that he's not ready to deal with it just about broke my heart - and then John coming to suggest he go to bed and say that Elizabeth's possessions will be packed up... Oh wow, I love what you're doing with this, showing the emotions/reactions of people, and I really hope you keep it up - it makes them more 'real'.

And then the ships appearing and that black screen with the 'oh crap'!! Perfect! An excellent ending that leaves me wanting more without tearing my hair out at the wait! (Which I suspect I will be doing after The Last Man airs, somehow!)

It was great to see Elizabeth (even if she is a double) and how the doubles seemed to be struggling with the truth of what they are and their identity etc. I know Weir fans will be upset by this turn of events, but even though I'm sad about it I'm glad there is closure - though having said that, who knows if repli-Keller was lying or not?

Anyway, great episode, Joe (and other writers). I'm really looking forward to BAMSR!

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe, can you tell me the reasoning for killing Dr. Weir off screen?

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, Joe. With the exception of the last few minutes, including that wonderful scene with Zelenka and Mckay, the episode fell flat for me.

I know you're getting lots of comparisons with "Tin Man," and no wonder.

Also, I don't understand why RepliLorne approached RepliSheppard anxious to go through the gate in the beginning of the episode. Or did I miss something?

Anyway, the biggest let down is the lack of a true cliffhanger. There's no cliff, figuratively or literally speaking, and no one is hanging off of anything. Seems as if the entire episode was built around acquiring the ship detector and wrapping up Weir's fate (which didn't bother me, as I'm not a fan of Weir or Torri). But a better cliffie might have been having some of those RepliShips pose an immediate and significant threat to Atlantis and/or to one or more of the characters.

McKay's "Oh, crap!" was delightful, but I needed more to hang my angst on than little beeps and dots showing up on a computer screen.

On the positive side, the season up to this point has been a freaking monster! I've never seen, like, 9 straight episodes of anything that rocked like SGA did.

Anonymous said...

This Mortal Coil was *fabulous*. I've been remaining relatively spoiler-free - the only spoilers I've read came from here - so I really didn't know what to expect except that we would see Weir again. There was just so much I enjoyed about this episode: any time Ronon and Rodney go off together; Radek and Rodney, what a wonderful final scene between them showing both their friendship and how far McKay has come as a person and friend; the mentions of Beckett and Rodney's struggle with dealing 'all over again'; Sheppard's reaction to the realization that they weren't able to save Elizabeth; and Elizabeth's final sacrifice. There was a whole lot to deal with both for the team and the viewer in this episode. I think everyone involved did an extraordinary job.

Also, let me say again I was someone who was *not* happy when I heard Sam Carter was coming to Atlantis. I loved my team and I didn't want Sam taking screen time away from them and being Ms Perfect while Rodney sat in a corner being Wrong. I'm a big enough person to admit when I was wrong. :) So far I quite like Carter and I like the fact she is playing a very subtle, background role. In fact, I didn't realize she wasn't even TMC until it was well over, and that's the way I like it.

Kudos on TMC. And now, come on January 4!

Anonymous said...

Quite an interesting episode. Not at all what I had anticipated based on the title. Though I did expect to see the final demise of Elizabeth from the title. I'll be eager to see your notes on putting the script together. The "new" Keller was brilliantly portrayed by Jewel, and a joy to watch. The two teams were so close that watching them eyeball each other was to funny. The ending sets up my belief for how BAMSR will actually play out. Hoping that Carter is in that episode. Though it speaks well of her trust in John that she leaves Atlantis in his hands as often as she does.

crazymom said...

The worst thing I can say about the episode is that it felt like it should have been a two-parter. There was a lot going on, and it seemed a little rushed. I would have liked to have seen it filled out a little. But that's my only quibble, because I liked the concept a lot. Rodney finishing his own sentences instead of Zelenka's was fun. I was wondering if Teyla would tell other/Teyla she was pregnant.

Sheppard is weird individual, you know? He is a strange mixture of being able to face whatever situation he's in and keep on going, but also not being to admit it when the situation is seemingly hopeless. He still keeps going, but he tries to act like there's no problem. He can cope with a duplicate a lot better than most people, but he's such a bad liar when he tries to reassure people. His mouth says "everything's going to be fine" but his face says "you're going to die but no way am I admitting that." I guess he doesn't have to worry about a duplicate's feelings, because he already knows what they are and knows the duplicate won't talk about them either. ;-)

I know there are people who find McKay unbelievably annoying, but you have give David Hewlett and the writers a lot of credit for making McKay a lot more than a stock comic figure. He was 100% dork in the scenes with his double, and then so serious, but still Rodney, in the scenes with Radek and Sheppard at the end.

Freezing rain this morning. I'm staying in the house. I don't want to be filling out my own accident report Monday.

Unknown said...

Joe,

WOW! TMC was a great episode! Shades of "Double Jeopardy", with the "nanite" team wanting to go home and realizing they had no home, so they made the noble sacrifice.

Rodney's "Oh, Crap!!" at the end was classic.

And about Weir ... smb_books posted that you keep killing Weir off and we're riding a roller coaster of emotion. Being a fan of SG-1 as well as SGA, and watching the MANY ways that Daniel Jackson "took one for the team" over the years, all I can say is get used to it! :)

Thanks for making SGA Season 4 interesting, controversial, sad, funny, and most of all, worth watching!

Anonymous said...

There are a number of complaints about not seeing enough of Sam as leader in the first half of the season. I know this is because AT was involved in the filming of the SG-1 movies. It seems unrealistic, however, to not have one of the characters at least mention her even when she is not in the episode. Will we see her more in the second half, and as part of the action, than in the first half of this season?

Thanks!

chernandez said...

RE: This Mortal Coil, I liked it a lot. (Brief sidenote: Hee. I love that people are pissed Sam's on Atlantis AND pissed that we don't see her enough. Classic.)

Before I get too deep in comments, I did have some episode questions. What made the replicators go all T-1000 and be able to look like anyone? I caught that it had something to do with Rodney and the base code, but I must have missed something.

I also couldn't figure out what made Team Extra think they'd be able to find Atlantis? Even if Weir's memories were added, didn't Rodney say in Lifeline that they had picked a planet she hadn't heard of? I guess the optimists in them would just assume the ZPM made it back to the city and they're not all floating dead in space.

Lastly: This Fauxlantis was the one we saw in The Seer, yes? How many Atlantises are there in the galaxy now?

Questions done, now for the kudos: Yes, there were some obvious Tin Man/Double Jeopardy parallels, but how could there NOT be? The overall story and the characters themselves were different and wonderful and just downright creepy enough that I didn't spend too much time dwelling on it. (Much love for Lorne, Radek and Keller!)

It was great to see Weir again. Her passion is always so strong. It did really make me think about the differences between her and Carter though. I've wondered if maybe AT was sick or something (or maybe just tired, because REALLY)during filming, because sometimes Carter just seemed kind of...lethargic, I guess. I suppose it's not out of the question that Sam would be that way for awhile, given the dramatic change in job responsibilities and all.

Last thought: Disregarding the whole 'Beckett's episode,' thing, I love and am so grateful to you guys for keeping his presence alive even when he's not there. It reminded me of SG-1 season 6 and Daniel rather than what happened with Jonas and Jack in later seasons where (save a few episodes) it always kind of felt like "Jack and Jonas who?"

Okay, one more question. I know you're a busy man, so when comments get really long like this one has, do you read the whole thing or just skim or stop partway through?

Anonymous said...

I loved this episode. Loved two McKay's, loved Elizabeth and loved the whole replicator arc. I loved how you used Lorne and Keller in this. It was great.

Looking forward to watching this episode again.

morgia said...

«EMILY said...
But I have to say, substitute teaching isn't a walk in the park, either.»

Heeee ! You are un teacher ? Haaa, Im totally understand you, Im a teacher too. But, Im very lucky this session I have a full time job at high school until christmas. So hang on !We are the best !! lol
Salut du Québec

Anonymous said...

TMC was an amazing episode and a very fitting mid season finale. I don't think there was one thing I didn't like about the episode. This is the Atlantis I love and hope the season continues on as good as this. Can't say I will miss Weir much as she wasn't a favourite but I hope this can give her fans closure and help them move on if they only watched Atlantis for her. I love how the team are getting so much more development this season and I am enjoying seeing them grow and mature. Sheppard is becoming a much richer character than he was in the earlier seasons and I like this side of him. McKAY seems more toned down and likeable and yes more mature. His emotions towards Weir's death was pretty awesome. I think out of all of them he will miss Weir the most.
So thanks for a great script Mr M and for a really awesome season four.

RachelC said...

Loved the episode. I hadn't seen any previews so had fun trying to guess whether they were duplicates or if it was a virtual/mental world. Great fun.

I always wonder though, in scenes where people have to cut themselves to prove something, get blood etc is it always staged so they cut the palm of the hand. Why not the arm or the back, you know, somewhere which is not going to get in the way of actually using the hand!

Anonymous said...

Excellent episode Joe, well done. I have to say this episode really makes me miss Elizbeth. She brings this sense of power and serentiy to the scenes that has been absent of late. I really loved the Radek/Rodney scene though. It's the scene I've been waiting all season for - that he actually _cares_ about Elizabeth and that her death really had an impact on him. Well done, and if it was one of the added scenes, I wonder, did you add it before all the grumping about the lack of sad!Rodney after Elizbeth was taken, or after- in response to it?

Oh, and the two Rodney interchange was priceless!

Unknown said...

Did the season 5 is going to end on a cliffhanger?

Pauline said...

Humming to myself, not listening not listening. I've not seen TMC yet so I'm not reading the blog so I won't be biased when I do see TMC.

Emily so happy you enjoyed your meal with Joe.

I'm glad to see you avoided most of the questions I gave you a heads up about.

Especially the agent and actors or as they are affectionately known Goa’uld and symbiotes.

I could almost hear Joe squirm at some of your questions, well done.

Pauline

Anonymous said...

Just had to say thanks for the Shep whump in TMC - even though it wasnt really real Sheppy whump it made me very happy!!!

I did miss Carter in this episode (even though I appreciate why she wasnt there)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe one of the first comments here was from someone talking about the "weird" fans.

Some people are all class.

As for you, Joe Mallozzi, you love Torri? Yeah. Right.

If sacking someone and killing their character twice is something you do to someone you love, I don't want to know what you do to people you hate.

So long Atlantis. It was a good three years up to Sunday.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,

What really ticks me off when fans or shall I say former fans bash this season and the new characters just because one character or two characters are killed off or MIA. It makes me wonder if they were even a fan of Atlantis. They are blinded this season, it could be one of the best episodes and yet they will gloom the show because their favorite character is not there. It is crazy how people who never even watch all the episodes have the nerve to say this season sucks or is the worst. The worst of it is when these former fans doom and gloom the show for others. They also will negative spin the ratings and say Atlantis will be cancelled and the show is failing when they don’t know all the facts.

How does this make you feel? I think these people really need to get hobbies. I am sick and tired of them and their rants. Hopefully they will go away next season. It is one thing to have an opinion but to have a closed mind and doom the show for others, is going too far.

I love this season and I think it could be the best one of the series. I think the show has the potential to go even more than 5 seasons, hopefully you are up for the challenge to better yourself. I have high hopes for the show, still have my hopes characters will return, but if not it’s ok as long as the show continues this amazing direction and quality, Keep up the good work. :):)

Latoxen said...

This season has really been one highpoint after another. :)

Not being a SG-1 fan I wasn’t bothered by the similarities with old plotlines. It’s not like there are any truly original plots anyway. All a writer can do is to put a new, interesting spin on it; something which was accomplished with TMC. I loved the way the team (v2) slowly came to the realization that something wasn’t right, the way they reacted to being copies and escaped the replicate city, and of course, the way they sacrificed themselves for the real Atlantis. Sheppard smirking triumphantly even as he faced imminent death at the hands of the replicators at the end, surrounded by his fallen team-mates really got to me. Creepy as hell, but in a good way.

Lots of amazing moments of team interaction scattered through the show too (John and Ronon stickfighting and John checking up on Rodney at the end especially), and some wonderful Zelenka moments.

A real winner, in other words.

Anonymous said...

So I literally just finished watching "This Mortal Coil" -- I loved it! I do have a question, though: If the last update the Replicators got from Atlantis was from Elizabeth, how did the Rodney the Replicators synthesized know about the gate streamlining program that the original Rodney was about to run?

Charles Schneider said...

Great dinner you guys. I have to say I wasn't sure what it was going to look like, but it really turned out neat.

Now you'll have to cook up something new for the winner of the 2 millionth visit.

Anonymous said...

About This Mortal Coil:

LOVED IT!!! It had humor, emotion, angst, team goodness, wonderful character moments. Everything I adore about Atlantis.

And I might be the only fan out there who is a fan of Elizabeth and at the same time thinks that her story arc this season rocked and thinks this is far more interesting than having her as the base commander. I'd love to have a follow up of RepliLiz in s5. I think she would be a great wild card.

Joe, as I said in the past, there are only 4 episodes of Atlantis I don't like, and 2 have been written by you (The Tower and Irresponsible) but I liked all the other episodes you've written, and in particular I think "This Mortal Coil" is your best script ever.

Thanks for this wonderful episode and congratulations to all the people, cast/producers/crew who made it possible too.

Can't wait for BAMSR!!

morgia said...

Bonjour Joseb,
J'ai un rhub terrible aujourd'hui et moi qui boulais aller jouer dans la neige telle une gazelle gambadant dans la sabhanne... Enfin, je vais me baire un bouillon de poulet et me lover devant le foyer. Qu'est-ce qui a ben pu arriver dans l'ébission hier soir pour que les fans de Weir réagissent autant ? Humm, une de partie dix de retouber ? L'autre jour un blogger à boser une question ben interessante auquelle tu n'as pas rébondu, alors je vais la reboser en esbérant que tu es pitié d'une pauvre fille balade (lol): Il n'y a aucune femme dans l'équipe des writers? Y a-t-il au moins une femme dans la haute direction? Le pouvoir est aussi une affaire de femme !
Bon, je bais aller m'effondrer sur mon divan.
Bonne journée
P.S Mags take care, Im very sorry for your mom...

♥ANAIS♥ said...

Re Hello =)

sa va bien depuis toute a l'heure?
Moi super =)

Vous avez vu, j'ai changer de pseudo, j'y est mi mon prénom, sa sera plus simple!

Encors 2000 commentaires et je suis a 40000 commentaire!! Waou! c'est vraiment incroyable, je n'aurais jamais pensais arriver la un jour! Je suis même peut étre le blog de stargate le plus commenté du monde =S waou! incroyable!

En parlant de blog, demain j'aurais besoin de vous pour désigné le gagnant du concour que j'ai fait ce week end sur mon blog.

Bon je vais y aller, il y'a l'éléction de miss France a la télé^^ jespert qu elle sera belle!


Enorme Bisou!! je vous love very fort! a demain, Merci!!!

G Alice Owen said...

The episode aside, the passion in the comments I have read so far is amazing. Folks, what makes you think that this is "the end" of anything or anybody? How do you really KNOW that this is the end of a character or situation? You are willing to walk away from something you have enjoyed for so long because of ONE episode?

Doesn't anybody have any faith in imagination and possibilities? I choose to have faith these writers know what they are doing. After all, faith is the Evidence of things not seen. I dare say, we haven't seen the final curtain yet.

Anonymous said...

bonjour

franchement je suis vraiment dégouter de this mortal coil ont c'est ennuyer comme pas possible et je dit "ont" car je ne suis pas la seule à penser ça .
Nous ont espérer voir episode magnifique pour le retour de weir,mais il en ai rien ont voie weir étendu dans le vaissau morte a la fin franchement vous auriez pu nous épargner cette image et la réaction de john m'a dégouter même pas il était dégouter franchement j'attender cette episode depuis longtemps pour voir quoi RIEN JUSTEMENT pfff vous nous avez gacher l'envie de continuer a regarder stargate même si j'adore je suis trop dégouter de voir stargate atlantis de plus en plus nul ça me dégoute bientot vous aller faire partir qui sheppard,mackay,teyla qui apres?

franchement à l'heure ou j'écrit se message je vous déteste d'avoir autant salie l'image de weir et de stargate j'éspère vraiment pour le show que la suite va s'améliorer car on ne reconnait plus la serie qu'on aimer tant au début

Et il faudrer se demander pourquoi la serie de l'audience c'est normal si vous faite partir les personnages les plus aimer (weir becket ford) c'est sur que l'audience va baisser, mais franchement quelle idée de faire partir weir quelle idée franchement j'ai plus envie de continuer ce message j'en ai les larmes aux yeux franchement dégouté

C'est comme daniel et vala vous savez que tous le monde les veut ensemble et vous faite revenir son mari dans the ark of truth franchement vous saver pas se que veulent les fans ou vous ne les écoutés pas ?

Anonymous said...

Oh look, it was Tin Man. Again. Plus a side order of Double Jeopardy. And a sprinkle of Reckoning for good measure. And you want us to come back for the second half of the season? Well if I'm not doing anything more interesting (like cutting my toe nails) I might think about it. Maybe. *yawn*

Zannah said...

Oh, Joe. Totally enjoyed 'This Mortal Coil'. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the wandering through the woods contemplating the meaning of humanity scenes were the ones added in. ;) Those felt grafted on - but the rest, man! Awesome. Joe F. and the Hew acted the hell out of this ep, Jason was excellent, and it was ultimately a lovely tribute to Weir.

Almost as entertaining? Watching the little meltdowns and flouncing exits on your blog. Goodbye, cruel Atlantis!

Anonymous said...

Hiya, Mr. Joe!

I'm glad to hear you had a nice dinner and the food looks delicious.

Watched TMC and I must say I liked it, very much. I knew Tin Man and I think I prefer TMC. Great job!

That's, what, 10 out of 10 episodes this season. Don't blow it in the second half of the season, okay?

To the Elizabeth Weir/Torri Higginson fans: I'm sorry your favourite character is gone (maybe. Everybody lies, even replicators).

To the few whacko EW/TH fans and one in particular: How Joe treated Torri? You do know that it's only tv and an actor doesn't die/is physically or mentally harmed everytime their character dies, right?

Anonymous said...

Ok - so I had an epiphany while reading over some comments and thinking about This Mortal Coil.

The show remarked that Weir is dead...then Replicator Weir comes to realize that the Replicator Faction that created them did so b/c they wanted ascension.

Question - will Weir make another appearance b/c when she died she ascended (like previous Daniel eps from SG1)?

Just a thought/insight I had...and wanted to see if you reacted to it...not really expecting an answer but...well I thought I'd throw it out there in the water cooler talk....

P.S. - I love this season so much...Rodney is my favorite character and my fav bits have been his growing friendship w/ Sheppard...also loved last night with the Zelenka/McKay moment near the end...and the ending was sweet w/ the fade to black and McKay's "Oh Crap" - nice touch!

Anonymous said...

Mags, I'm so very sorry about your mother. I admire you bravery very much, and you have my deepest sympathies.


Emily amazed me with her witty dialogue throughout the virtual dinner. Very entertaining! Joe, you weren't too bad either...;)


This Mortal Coil.

Loved it. An unusual episode. Not your standard cliffie ending, more low key. Very well written. Wonderful character moments and terrific dialogue.

Stand out moments? Stick fighting, retro-virus buggy Shep mention, Shep being scanned...sorry, I can be shallow sometimes... Two Rodneys and two Sheps doing identical faces at the two Rodneys!

Loved repli Keller. Totally won me over. Zelenka was great. Rodney is suffering from the fallout of losing lost one's. Good. Shep too. Though I was glad to see he's moving on and accepting Weir is gone, if, in fact she actually is.

Weir? Hmmm, not her greatest fan, didn't like her as much as in Lifeline, and she just doesn't seem to fit anymore for me.

Missed Carter here. I'm missing her more than I thought I would, to be honest. I understand why she's not there, scheduling conflicts, etc., but I personally am getting to the point where I feel a bit of a gap on occasion. I hope the second half of the season will rectify that. I really like the cast changes, and this episode confirmed that to me, to be honest.

Loved the "Oh, crap!" Hee! But, I want to know what's going on! Too many Replicator ships? Oh no!!! Hee.


So, excellent job. Well done.

I look forward to BAMSR.

Unknown said...

*waves*

First the niceties ;o) Loved your virtual dinner. Great job Emily, you both sound as if you had a great time and some really interesting questions! Shame on you Emily asking for shirtless Daniel, especially when you got him nekkid in one ep. I thought you were just being greedy there ;o) you should have been asking for nekkid Shep! Shame on you, and you call yourself an Atlantis fan. Don't you know you can't be both? You have to choose. :P

Secondly to Mags i'm sorry to hear about you mom, hon. Take care of yourself. *hugs*

Now onto TMC Now don't take offence Joe, you know I luff ya. BUT, for me, it didn't have that WOW factor that i'd seen in Tabula Rasa, DG, or The Seer. Don't feel bad, because 98% of the time feel this way on two parters. It's the whole setting up thing. I understand the whole concept of the set up and I loved the character development (and there was a huge one for Rodney). I loved that he's more comfortable with Radek to talk about his feelings, and the whole, 'it's like Carson all over again'. It reminded me of Radek's and Rodney's ToR scene. Really nice touch. I absolutely loved the continuity (buggy Shep and the retrovirus and the Seer prophecy) and you know I adore the whumpage, and Shep actually throwing himself and angsting over becoming buggy Shep. I loved it. :o) Shep's fighting skills are certainly coming on in leaps and bounds, so i'm looking forward to more fight scenes in S5. ;o) And I did giggle at Ronon kicking Rodney's chair to stop him snoring. LOL. I did like RepliKeller in this, she's still not my favourite, but she's growing on me, i'm just still in a period of adjustment. I may be slow, but i'll get there in the end. :o) And I did miss Sam in this, and as hard a pill it is to swallow, I really haven't missed Weir's character as much as I expected *ducks from the heavy objects being hurled in her direction* But, I have to say I missed Carter in this more, than I did at the fact that I heard the real Weir was dead. Sorry Weir fans. *puts on her tac-vest*

The fact that this ep didn't bowl me over, is more to do with me and how I view eps, than it is to do with how it was written and the interplay between the characters, and the storyline itself (which was great, full of clever twists and turns ;o) )! I thought the story was creative and an imaginative way of bringing Weir back, as I did enjoy her story arc in Lifeline and wanted to see where the character was headed. Nice to know that she was just as stubborn with Oberoth as she was with the IOA, and gave them a run for their money. LOL. As for her dying some months before.. I can understand if the Weir fans will be upset by that and that even if the 'team' do manage to be integrated into the 'collective' then that in itself could prevent a whole slew of problems for the replicators..... which could get very interesting. I don't think this is the end we'll see of Weir or the repli-team. They're replicators, a little blood and them looking uconscious doesn't equate to dead.At least that's what my spideysense is telling me, and we know how accurrate that is. ;o) And of course repliShep is still alive. Hopefully we'll see them again soon.

So to finish off, did it make my toes curl and be on the edge of my seat the whole time? Nope, sorry. That'll be part II! :o)

Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear, but as I said earlier, i'm like this with all two parters. So roll on January. ;o)

*hugs*

Emily said...

Sorry for my 55th comment in under 12 hours, but:

Good job on last night's episode. I loved the little Rodney-Ronon interactions, myself.

As to which scene was added? Hmmm, I'm gonna go with the heart-to-heart between Rodney and Zelenka. Good scene, but not necessary especially with the scene after it.

This episode seemed to me to be a set-up for some other arc. If being able to replicate SGA personnel doesn't come up again, I will be very surprised. Possible way to bring back Carson? If so, the inability to fully trust repli-team members would be a way to keep Keller--If Carson comes back as a repli-Carson, could they really trust him to be the head of medical? To me, this episode actually seemed to really be setting up a return for Carson. Then again, I've got Carson on my brain the last day. Plus, I'm horrible at making predictions.

And I'm not totally sold on all of the repli-team being dead, either (including repli-Weir). I mean, they very well could be, but did we see them get disintegrated (or whatever)?

0000 said...

Thank you Emily and Joe for letting us share your date.
A special thanks to Emily for asking the best questions ;)

Anonymous said...

Great episode in every way. I liked the ending. I think ending with ships hovering over the city would have been cliche.
I don't know where you are going to start. They could be in imminent danger, or the story could slowly build. Leaves much more to the imagination.

Please don't discard storylines because they were done on SG1. Many Atlantis fans haven't watched SG1. This is a seperate show with different characters. Why should the actors miss great opportunities because RDA and co. did something on another show ?

Pauline said...

Mags I am so sorry for your loss.
For once I'm lost for words, my thoughts are with you and your family.

Pauline

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe

I thought last nights episode was pretty interesting. I liked the idea of a rogue group of replicators! Despite the fact that they appeared to lose the battle last night. Is there a chance we will see another rogue group of replicators? They don't even have to look like the Atlantis crew.

I liked the ending with the black screen and Rodney's comment. The two Rodney's were funny and the fact that Ronon and well the other Ronon didn't get along was cute too :p. Wished Teyla could have been in the show more and Carter could have been mentioned. Like that Weir was there, although with spoilers running rampant her appearance wasn't a surprise. Enjoyed seeing Sheppard too.. lol especially after seeing him at the end of Women's Murder Club and turning the channel and seeing him again :p.

I have really enjoyed S4 Joe! Have fun writing S5 :D

Promogirl said...

"You're not the only one who misses them, Rodney." Was that a nice little acknowledgement to the fans who miss Beckett and Weir? I took it that way regardless. :-)

The episode was nicely done, Joe. Like The Seer I see some setup happening here and I'm very curious to see what will come to fruition from this.

And I have to say, I'm a huge Carter fan who happens to like Weir as well. I do hope we somehow will see more of Torri next season. No one ever really dies in sci-fi so I'm not giving up on Weir, yet.

Aelfgyfu said...

I thoroughly enjoyed "This Mortal Coil"--even more, perhaps, than I liked "Tabula Rasa" and "Doppelganger." I loved the characters. It was great to see Elizabeth, and Elizabeth having to cope with all the terrible things that have happened to her--including learning that she's dead! It was fun to see Jewel Staite go from being the slightly ditzy Doctor Keller to a more in-charge RepliKeller. I loved the two teams meeting each other; yes, we've seen this in "Tin Man" and "Double Jeopardy," but these teams had a different dynamic (and two Rodneys are even better than one! Well, for a little while, anyway). And poor John and Rodney were so happy to see Elizabeth again--any Elizabeth--only to lose her yet again. (I was glad you said that we'll see Torri Higginson once more--and maybe next season?)

My favorite scene by far came at the very end, with Radek and Rodney. Rodney's still not very good at dealing with people, or with his own emotions, but now he knows that, and we could watch him trying--thanking Zelenka for wanting to help, but saying he's just not ready. David Hewlett is absolutely brilliant. I love that they feel the losses; I know character moments are often the first to get cut when an episode runs long, and it sometimes felt like Carson and Elizabeth had been forgotten.

The first half of the season had some great episodes, and I'm very much looking forward to the second half--and very glad Sci Fi isn't making us wait six months this time!

Anonymous said...

I got hungry reading your summary of dinner. Yum.

Yea for me! I did say that the "destroyed" Atlantis could be the Replicators one...it was just the wrong Replicators! It's nice to have Elizebeth's situation finalized...maybe some can let her go now. Maybe. (Loved the two Rodney's reading each other's minds. Clever and cute.)

Anonymous said...

TMC was another success.
Please more Rodney/Radek scenes, those two are so great together.

I loved the little déjà vue feelings from previous episodes...Lorne arguing orders (Tabula Rasa)and Ronon/John sparing incident (Doppleganger)

Lorne and Keller conspiring was really good. You need more scenes between those two.

Elizabeth back was a great gift. Thanks for that, hopefully (as no one ever dies on scifi) you will find a way to have her back for more. I feel that the Elizabeth storyline is unfinished (or at least repliWeir).

Fav moments:
-the double McKay banter-technobabble... a CHRISTMAS PRESENT arrived early!!!!!!

-Radek and Rodney in the lab...
Radek saying Rodney is immersing in his work to forget... (cries)

-and John and Rodney talking about Elizabeth and sending her stuff to Earth... heartbreaking.

Just one complaint about the episode... where the hell is Carter? She is the one who had the vision after all. It would have been nice to have Sam face repliWeir.

K8T said...

Hi Joe,

Finally got to see TMC! It was great; I really enjoyed the interactions between the real and the replicators Rodney etc. I also enjoyed seeing John and Rodney trying to come to terms of actually having to say good bye to Elizabeth, and Radek trying to help Rodney open up. Over all an excellent episode!

The ending sequence with the dots appearing and fading to black with Rodney's "oh, crap" was priceless.

“Oh Crap!” indeed!

-Katie

0000 said...

Just finished watching "This Mortal Coil" and while I badly need to go to bed I wanted to congratulate you on yet another wonderful installement.

43 minutes of pure enjoyement, which I really needed after a long day at work :).

I'm impatient to read what you have to say about this episode as you promised to share.

Anonymous said...

To LadyConure comment,

I agree with you. Anything is possible with characters returning. I still feel if there is a good creative decision Weir could be in future eps if it adds to the story. I for one know anything is possible. In the end, as long as the show remains great in quality and entertaining! :)

Copernicus said...

Hey Joe,

Thought I'd leave some brief thoughts on Miller's Crossing (I'm falling behind) before I watch This Mortal Coil on Monday.

First, it was a good episode. I found it a bit lacking for a Martin Gero episode, (much as I like you, I do consider him your most talented writer), but it was still good overall.

Four things of note:
1) When it comes to earth episodes, you have to worry about those fans out there who have a full mental list of the entire inventory of earth gadgets that have been built up over SG1's ten year run. Somebody mentioned that they could have stuck Jeannie in the cryo pod in Antarctica, which was a good point.

2) McKay and Jeannie's original escape attempt was terrible. I realize that McKay is not a military expert, but as a geek he should have considered the necessity of disabling security cameras, or, better yet, changing the time stamp so it would look like he was still there for an hour or so to give them time to escape. I think a much truer to character escape attempt would be for him to plan for every sort of situation (cameras, doors, etc.), but then open the door to find two armed guards posted and waiting for him, making all of his hacking for naught. As usual, this is just my opinion.

3) Someone commented on the stupidity of sending top secret information over the internet, which don't think particularly applies in this case. The vast majority of what McKay and Jeannie were sending was probably advanced programming code with very little context that would give away their intentions.

4) The obvious one: Sheppard's actions. I liked it. Good job. It kind of reminded me of his killing spree in the The Eye when the city was being run by the Genii, which was also well-handled.

Anyway, that's all I've got for now. Armchair creative consulting takes a lot out of you and I have to go get dinner ready.

Sincerely,
Copernicus

Anonymous said...

Great episode, although I was left wondering: Since it's obvious that the replicators have the capability of putting the ATA gene into their bio-engineered humans -- repli-Shep could fly the Jumper -- do all of their manufactured humans have the gene?

Anonymous said...

Wow Joe - finally I see an episode of Season 4 I love!
I'm not upset about Weir. I was upset about Beckett and hated Keller (though I could grow to like RepliKeller) but all I'll say is that if you turn round now and have Weir appear in future it will be one of the most boring moves you've made (look she's dead - oh no she's not!)

So I dearly hope this character news next week is about Beckett (and that it ain't just a token appearance to placate his fans)

Anonymous said...

Funniest line of the ep:
McKay: "Oh, Thank God it hit the Reading Lab or someone really could've gotten hurt." (or something like that.)
Classic line knowing Joe is such an avid reader!

Anonymous said...

Will terrible conflict arise between what is right and what is desired for one or more of the Atlantis team members?

Jen, heart traveler said...

Atlantis' planet seems to have fully formed moons, unlike the asteroids of Lantea. Are we going to see any visit

Since the new Atlantis planet seems to have fully formed moons (unlike the asteroids of Lantea), are we going to see any visits to them?

Ciarán said...

Great episode, it has to be said. Plenty of drama and humour and action too of course. And the closing scenes were mind-blowing. "I know what you're trying to do... Losing yourself in your work to avoid thinking about Elizabeth." Best. Lines. Ever. And there's so much emotional potential there from the end just waiting to be tapped. I can't wait to see how it develops.

Carys (aka ~Cats) said...

i loved the dinner conversation, thank you both for being so entertaining.

i also liked last night's ep, but i am so lost about what does tin man have to do with stargate? i know most of my friends hated it but i LOVED tin man! it was cheesy (but no cheesier than the original movie, really) and fun and had a happy ending. not that i've already watched it twice and am going to watch it again when i'm knitting or anything. nope. *nod*

anyway, i really liked mortal coil a lot, and i LOVED how the ending and even stuff in the middle left SO MUCH up in the air. replicator keller says elizabeth is a clone...but the real one had nanites too, so she'd have healed either way, wouldn't she? or what if r.k. lied and eliz 1.0 is still alive, but she thinks eliz 2.0 will act differently if she knows there is another one. or (my favorite idea) oberoth has 1.0 in stasis because he wants to learn how to control her and then use her as a super sekrit anti-atlantis weapon but it's so super sekrit that he lied to the rest of the replicators.

team 2.0 is dead...or are they? cause the bad guy shoots, but we dont see anybody die. and "something unexpected happens next" never happens in sf...

SO MANY possibles! wheeeeeee!

why did sam see a vision of something she'd never see cause she wasnt there (atlantis being destroyed)? was she going to be in the ep n the orig script and then it was changed?

i loveloveLOVED the 2 rodneys being SO happy to finally have someone just as smart to work with! and i loved how the reactions of each of the 1.0 vs 2.0 were different.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
"Lorne still needs a first name."

Isn't his first name Evan? It's Major Evan Lorne according to the IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374455/fullcredits#cast

Kimberly

watcher652 said...

First off, congratualtions on Emily and her great dinner questions. I almost felt like I was there at the table with you.

Wow, I have to say it again. It's not just the dim lighting that makes this season dark. Can you take the team's hearts and tear them into smaller pieces than you did this first half of season 4? Wait, don't answer that, I'm sure you can and I don't think I could stand it. Ronon losing his old team just when he found them again. Teyla losing her special someone and all her people. Rodney convinced that his changes to the Asuran code is the cause of their current situation rivals John's guilt about waking the Wraith. (Those 2 have really messed up the Pegasus Galaxy, haven't they?) John and Rodney finding out that Elizabeth is dead (as far as they know and they seem to be convinced of it).

Love that you managed to get Keller, Radek, Lorne and Chuck all in one episode. John's line that humans are stubborn and pesky. RepliKeller's performance made me like her better than the real Keller. The excitement of the Rodneys anxious to work with each other. (I liked the amusing way you revealed what exactly the team didn't like about their old uniforms.) The Elizabeth/John, Ronon/Teyla, RepliRonon/RepliTeyla conversations. This episode and Tabula Rasa just underscores that people at their core are the same no matter what the situation.

But the icing on the cake were the last scenes between Rodney and Radek and John and Rodney. Those are the scenes I wanted to see back when Elizabeth and Carson were first killed. It just seemed like everyone went on without acknowledging the loss. Maybe it was too raw back then and in Elizabeth's case there was still hope that she might be retreived. But I thought that there wasn't enough grieving for Carson when he was first gone. I appreciated the scene showing how upset Rodney was at Elizabeth's death. He did write that 500 page book about her.

Ah, Elizabeth, how I missed you and didn't even realize how much until you were brought back. While I have nothing against Carter, I thought Elizabeth's skill set complimented the team while Carter's is duplicated in Sheppard and McKay. I appreciate how you're easing Carter into the fold and not just slamming her into every situation. I find the "where's Carter?" questions shows you're doing something right because that's certainly better than "not Carter again."

And that last scene mirrors the scene where we discovered all the Hive ships out there. Whew. At least Ronon and Teyla don't seem to be blaming John and Rodney for their current mess. The situation is what it is. Maybe living under the constant threat of death gives them that perspective.

The RepliTeam were biological, although they had implanted memories. Did that give them a soul?

Carys (aka ~Cats) said...

oh, i had another question:

if the replicators can make clones of humans and put the original memories and personalities in those clones and the clones DO have souls, why couldn't they make clone bodies for themselves and put their own memories and personalities in them so that they'd have souls too and could ascend? were they just too scared they'd die without being able to ascend?

and what is the difference in the sg universe between dying and ascending? is that something from the first series (cause i have not seen the first series)

PLoker said...

I can't read theses comments..... Alas TMC hasn't aired yet here in Canada.... AHADHIDDSIAJE!! fustration!! I did read some spoillers, damn! Ah well I didn't go too far down so hopefully i'll be surprised.

Awesome dinner conversation. Almost finished Crooked Letter.

Have a great night.

Anonymous said...

People should read this fan's comment someone who makes sense

(amy_g said... )


my comment sgakaz

This show is for entertainment and enjoyment and yes it is sad to lose? A favourite character and I would be heart broken to lose mine, but I an a sifi fan and would still watch. Good sifi shows need to held on to.

Anonymous said...

Wow, find myself writing to you again (only second time ever writing someone making a tv series,the last time being you!) because I saw Miller's Crossing.
Season 4 has had so much terrific stuff!
Kate Hewlett was great- can we have more of her?
Ronon on earth, hee! - the scene with Walter at the SGC was one of the great comic moments in SGA.
And the last 10 minutes...took Stargate Atlantis to a much darker, more grown up place.

Sheppard manipulated Wallace, who was at his lowest ebb, and vulnerable.Manipulated him into being eaten by a Wraith, and provided the necessary lapse in SGC security for it to happen. And decided to falsify records. All for the greater good.
As it was happening, I kept saying I didnt believe the show would go there. Joe Flanigan's acting was amazing. And the scenes between Sheppard and McKay-first when the latter was talking of sacrificing himself to the Wraith, then at the end when McKay realised what Sheppard had done- were incredible. Morally wrong as Sheppard's actions were,yet they were understandable.Challenging the viewer- wouldnt you do the same in those circumstances?

I dont think it needs to be excused by saying he 'presented Wallace with a way of making amends' because though thats the explanation he gave at the end, that's not the way the scene played.And it was great, thought provoking television. Kudos to Flanigan, Culp and Hewlett.
Please encourage the writers to keep giving us such thought provoking material from time to time, in addition to the comedy and action.

Yinka Wills, writing from the UK

Anonymous said...

A few questions:

If the Replicators that left and made RepliAtlantis had the ship-detector program...why didn't they see the Asuran's coming?

And even if for some reason they didn't notice them coming...why didn't they start packing up to leave immediately when the probe hit? It seems they just stuck around trying to fool the copies of the Atlantis team. Since they knew they couldn't defend themselves as the Asurans are so powerful, why wouldn't they pack up and take puddle jumpers if they had to?

Maybe I missed something, but these two things were bugging me.

Thanks,
Kimberly

Anonymous said...

Just popping in to say that I loved TMC. I admit I was rather spoiled as to part of the plot by the recent news article on GW - but that's my own fault for being such a spoiler-addict! ;) So I knew the main twist in advance.. but still, the way the story played out was excellent and there was lots left to surprise me. I loved the character moments in this episode particularly, and some wonderful lines, particularly when the doubles met and the two McKays were fanboying each other and Sheppard's line about him kicking his own ass last time he met himself! :lol: I also really enjoyed the sense of continuity in this episode with references back to Sheppard's brush with the retrovirus etc and McKay's comments about losing Carson etc... in fact that entire scene was lovely. There has been a real feel in Season 4 of the team growing closer and being more open with each other etc - I know fans have complained in the past that we've not seen enough of the character's reactions etc to the dangers they face and to losing people and I think that has very much been rectified this season, there have been many references to both Carson and Weir and I love that. So, how difficult was it to film the double scenes such as McKay talking with himself? Oooh and have you ever watched the UK sci-fi comedy Red Dwarf? There was an episode in that where the often obnoxious and self-important Rimmer cloned himself and at first thought it was great to have someone who thinks the way he does and that they'd be the best of friends etc... and of course ended up arguing furiously with his clone and the two of them hating each other! It made me wonder how things might have developed if McKay's clone had stuck around cos I could kinda see that turning out the same way (kinda like his issues with Rod in M&MM etc)... for some reason I can clearly imagine Sheppard regarding Rodney in disbelief and telling him, "You do realise :lol:

I've seen a lot of comments about how this was not a very dramatic cliffhanger etc but I rather liked it.. it wasn't the usual "OMG! Will they survive?!!" mid-season ender but given what we've found out recently about the replicators latest tactics of wiping out human populations, it's chilling news that there are that many ships out there... presumably doing just that.

Anonymous said...
Also, I don't understand why RepliLorne approached RepliSheppard anxious to go through the gate in the beginning of the episode. Or did I miss something?


RepliLorne wasn't anxious to go through the gate, he was anxious to get McKay away from working on the probe; he was suggesting to Sheppard that the gate problem was also important and that Zelenka should be left to work on the probe and McKay sent back to work on the gate.

P.S. Mags - Am so sorry to hear about your mom. Am glad at least it was peaceful. Remember the good times you shared with her and know that a lot of thoughts are with you and your family right now. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Hey there!

What can you say? Weir was an absolute snooze -- don't let the haters get ya down!!

Sarah said...

Emily...that was the best ever! My dad and I had a blast reading it, especially the slightly personal tidbits (travels, worst jobs, etc). I couldn't imagine a better person for that prize of a lifetime!