Monday, November 12, 2007

November 12, 2007

I woke up this morning to a veritable hurricane - whipping wind, driving rain, and bone-chilling temperatures guaranteed to set your teeth a-chatter. I’d have to have been an idiot to venture outdoors in weather like that. Well, either an idiot or a guy trying to coax his dogs out for their morning constitutional by braving the elements himself. “Hey, it’s not so bad!”I lied, motioning for them to join me in the morass that was the backyard, my scarlet ears giving me away. They stared back at me from the relative comfort of the open doorway and then, one by one, seemed to lose interest and head back inside. Lulu was the last one to go, throwing me what I took to be a look of pity before deciding “F that!” and ambling after the pugs. Defeated, I hurried back up the stairs, only to have a gust of wind slam the door shut in my face. By the time I succeeded in unjamming the door and getting back inside, the dogs had cleared out - in more ways than one. No sign of them but for the little gift one had left.

I should have heeded the warning signs, cut my losses and headed back to bed, but I had things to do. Instead, I foolishly went on with my day - dropping Fondy off at the airport before swinging by the doggy daycare and realizing - oh, yeah, holiday - it was closed. And so, rather than take the half hour drive back home to drop off the dogs, I elected to take the two minute drive to the production offices where I let the little devils loose. For a while anyway and, when they got too distracting so I locked them in my office only find their mass howling even more distracting so I let them back out again after Lawren helpfully erected a makeshift barricade made up of recycling bins and garbage containers - which my hardheaded French bulldog managed to power through enroute to just one of her many daring escape attempts.

A lunchtime misunderstanding had me end up with a Swiss Chalet Santa Fe Chicken Salad which, I’m sure those who have tried it will agree, is just one step above actually eating out of the Swiss Chalet dumpster. I managed to salvage some meat, trimming off the bitter blackened grill marks, and fed them to the dogs before packing them back up into the car and, finally, taking them home.

By the time I returned to the office, the post-lunch conversation was already winding down. We eventually got around to accomplishing something and a third, and then it was back into the car and home -

Where I enjoyed some delicious Stagg Chili (“Dyamite Hot”) and polished off the remnants of a Soy Delicious Chocolate Brownie Almond that tasted surprisingly close to not-like-ice cream. Fondy has been gone less than a day and I’m already eating canned food and soy desserts. Please understand. These are long shelf-life foods I purchased for the sole purpose of surviving the lean years of a nuclear Armageddon. To consume them now is inexcusable and, admittedly, kind of sad.

Well, I’m determined to make an effort for tomorrow’s dinner! I’m going to get up off my lazy ass and drive the eight blocks down to Fuel where Chef Belcham will, I’m sure, be serving up something far more memorable.

This blog is dedicated to whoever I missed dedicating this blog to yesterday and, of course, Carl Binder who is on the front lines fighting the good fight - and enjoying much nicer weather.

Today’s video: Click on the date to watch Marty G. take part in the annual Running of the Dogs - and the barricade get breached.

Today’s mailbag:

Ray Finkle writes: “Firstly, why didn't it get legal clearance and secondly, why on earth would you need clearance in the first place? Are you really unable to just use the name of a town in an episode?”

Answer: We could have used the town no problem, but we couldn’t state that our Jennifer Keller hailed from the Town X because, according to our legal department, there is already one Jennifer Keller living in Town X and we wouldn’t want to confuse the two. Imagine if you are “the” Jennifer Keller living in Town X when you are set upon by wraith who believe you to be the Jennifer Keller from Town X now residing in the Pegasus Galaxy. How awkward.

Royal Nonesuch writes: “ Joe M.--so your a Beatles fan? Who is your favorite of the Fab Four?”

Answer: Actually, quite the opposite. This from my December 10, 2006 entry -

“And if you’re going to continue to invest time in this blog, I think it’s high time I came clean about a few things, some things that could color, possibly even change, your opinion of me. Nevertheless I think it’s important you know that -
1. I have never sat through an entire episode of Friends from start to finish.
2. I have never seen E.T. nor do I ever intend to.
3. I don’t like The Beatles.
4. I prefer my hot dogs the way they enjoy them in Japanese baseball stadiums - with ketchup, occasionally with mayo, relish, and onions, but never, ever with mustard.
5. Given the magical opportunity to pursue and excel at another career, my choice of new professions would be: super villain, chef, and hard-hitting free safety for the Los Angeles Raiders - in that order.”

Sulien writes: “I have been checking out the breed characteristics of pugs online and I have a question for you regarding your dogs, if you wouldn't mind answering? Unfortunately, every site I've checked out states that pugs tend to have a lot of health issues and I was wondering if your pugs have had many health problems.”

Answer: Pugs are prone to eye trouble, breathing problems, and extreme laziness. By the way, just to clarify, while Jelly, Maximus and Bubba are pugs, Lulu is a French Bulldog. She comes with her own issues which include eye problems and extreme stubborness.

Anonymous #1 writes: “ I am however concerned about what possible rationalisation you and your writers could have for including a character like Keller in the role she is in. The experiences of the SGC over the past 11 years would have made it perfectly clear that a job like hers was not for the faint hearted nor for someone so easily discomforted by out of the ordinary occurrences.”

Answer: They’re in another galaxy facing life-sucking aliens and savage off-world cannibals. How many possible candidates could they have chosen from that would have been comfortable dealing with such “out of the ordinary occurrences”? Keller’s response to the dangers she faced was very much the type of reaction one would expect from any normal human being (read: you and pretty much everyone else who has criticized her reaction) in an extreme life or death situation.

97 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joe, I was just watching the O'Neill goes to Atlantis special on the DVDs. Brad and Martin repeatedly said how they brought RDA to Atlantis to help boost ratings and get more awareness for the show by having a well known actor on it.
So I'm curious on your thoughts. Do you think it helped? Would it help if he came back, or is a one time deal all that was needed?

Franklin said...

In the UK we race Greyhounds, they are a bit faster than Pugs and they all run in the same direction. I think that Marty G should be dressed as food - that might get them more excited.

Good video clip. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi, any chance of seeing the whole SG-1 team on an episode during seaon 5 or Ford during season 5?

Ellory said...

Sounds like the darlings enjoyed going to work with you today. :)

Anonymous said...

Those dogs sound nuts! Especially Lulu! You should've gotten a cat. Or a hedgehog...

Michelle said...

Have you ever listened to Radio Disney? Are the Genii characters Sora and Kolya going to be back? Whatever happened to Sora anyways? Is Michael (Wraith) going to be back? Since Rodney plays piano, when are we going to see him do that? Do any of the characters (besides Teyla) have children?

Well, have you ever listened to Radio Disney? I've heard that they don't have it in Canada, or do you just hate all things Disney and most things radio? Well???????? What did happen to Sora? Because last time I checked she was still living on Atlantis!!! Is that wrong or...???? Is Michael going to be back? He was one of the most interesting characters ever on Atlantis and thanks so much for brining back the Wraith from Common Ground! That so totally rocks!

And I have a couple of questions of my own : Why is Carter almost always in civilian clothes? Does she just figure that nobody on Atlantis will tattle or is she not required to wear military uniform because she's surrounded by civilians? Or is she not in the military anymore??????? Do the people on Atlantis listen to music (like CDs) or is against some IOA law or???????? And what would they listen to??? Thanks!

P.S. So it's in season five when Sheppard gets a pet hedgehog right?

Anonymous said...

"They’re in another galaxy facing life-sucking aliens and savage off-world cannibals. How many possible candidates could they have chosen from that would have been comfortable dealing with such “out of the ordinary occurrences”? Keller’s response to the dangers she faced was very much the type of reaction one would expect from any normal human being (read: you and pretty much everyone else who has criticized her reaction) in an extreme life or death situation."

The flaw in that answer is that Keller's been in the Pegasus Galaxy for some time and already faced some pretty whacked out life-or-death situations. After all the crazy s**t that she's experienced in the past couple of months or so that we know she's been in Atlantis prior to "Missing," it's not unreasonable for viewers to expect her to start acting less freaked-out by what passes for "normal" in Pegasus by now.

Thornyrose said...

Thank you for giving me a new perspective on what constitutes a bad day. Any minor issues I've had pale in comparison to just the first part of your morning, and dealing with the weather. I fear I was chuckling evilly by the end of your recitation.(hmm, maybe Baron Destructo could use a new henchman/woman who has a sadistic sense of humor?)
I'd like to address Anonymous #1 and the latest spate of Keller bashing. Something I've enjoyed about Stargate, especially Atlantis, is the depiction of both military and civilian personnel. They make mistakes, they lack competence in areas outside the field of expertise for which they were selected, but they TRY. What would be truly unbelievable is that the expidition managed to crew the city with marial arts sharpshooting civilians who all competed in American Gladiator for a hobby. Keller is a physican, and was in a job in which she had no reason to expect to ever have to go offworld. Yes, she whined, and moaned, and balked through Missing. But the fact is, like McKay and Zelinka among others, she ultimately summoned the courage to move forward, literally. And she was able to not only bring herself to engage in combat, but she managed to utilize her knowledge and skills to maximize her effectiveness. With Carter and Teyla, two combat savvy women already on the show, its nice to have a contrast, to remind us that its not just brawn that wins the day in Pegasus. I cant say Keller is my favorite character, but certainly I dont see anything so flawed in her that I want to burn the character at the stake. I'd rather see in what direction she moves and grows, and how it will affect the more familiar characters. My apologies Mr. M. for a somewhat lengthy rant, but I felt it needed saying.

Anonymous said...

The flaw in that answer is that Keller's been in the Pegasus Galaxy for some time and already faced some pretty whacked out life-or-death situations. After all the crazy s**t that she's experienced in the past couple of months or so that we know she's been in Atlantis prior to "Missing," it's not unreasonable for viewers to expect her to start acting less freaked-out by what passes for "normal" in Pegasus by now.

Fair point but to me the flaw in the answer - (or frankly non answer) is that it still doesn't explain why they aren't using a military CMO with active duty experience - I mean can you imagine Janet Fraser whining and weeping like Keller? - or a civilian doctor with a background in something like third world disaster relief or remote area experience. This expedition is supposed to represent the best and the brightest, Keller may well be some kind of book read wunderkind but she does not seem to be in the least the kind of person that would have ever willingly have pushed herself out of her comfort zone in the past.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to address Anonymous #1 and the latest spate of Keller bashing.

Nobody is "bashing" Keller. Saying she is unsuitable for the job is not "bashing" it is merely stating an opinion.

What would be truly unbelievable is that the expidition managed to crew the city with marial arts sharpshooting civilians who all competed in American Gladiator for a hobby.

No one expects her to be be anything of the sort however I think it is a very reasonable assumption that being a doctor in an expedition like this would require the kind of physical and mental toughness found among front line military medical personnel or people experienced with something like Medecine Sans Frontier or the International Red Cross or similar. There is simply no room in this situation for someone who is going to fall apart under pressure or who cannot keep up in an off world mission gone wrong.

Keller is a physican, and was in a job in which she had no reason to expect to ever have to go offworld.

Oh yes, because no medical personnel from the SGC or Atlantis have ever gone off world before.

PapaSmurf said...

First off I love the new Season and I'm looking forward to every episode.My cousin has a dog exactly like your own his name is Mugsy. Let me tell you take all the disgusting traits known to man and animal kind and this dog does it. I'm glad i don't live with IT. I have a well mannered husky and a ego manic compulsive Cocker Spaniel go figure. I do have a question about the show, Will there be any new Species emerging good or bad? i will leave it open ended because i doubt you will reveal too much. Thank you.
~Sean

K8T said...

Joe, that video is just too cute! Was that Lulu who took a short cut through an office instead of running around the corner like the others? That’s one smart dog!

You must be desperate... into canned foods already? My mom was cooking up a storm yesterday. We had stir fried noodles, stir fried beef rice noodles (chow fun), homemade steamed dumplings (a lot like the dim sum shrimp dumplings but with pork), and savory fried dumplings with pork, Chinese sausage, and kohlrabi filling. If you like, you can have all the leftovers. They should tide you over for a good 2 days. :P

Got to see Missing today, will we ever see that spy guy (name escapes me) again? I would like to see a faceoff between Teyla and that guy. I love angry, protective Teyla! Also loved seeing Teyla kicking major butt! And Keller is starting to grow on me. The lollipops throughout the ep were pure genius. :D

Also, please thank Carl for the awesome Q&A; now that I’ve seen the ep it all makes sense. Please let him know that fans are supporting the writers and hope the strike can be resolved as soon as possible.

Jedi said...

Hi Joe,
Love the "running of the pugs" vid....LOL

Question: how come Joe F never takes his shirt off on a episode anymore?
Does his wife not like him doing it on the show for some reason or is it his own choice?

If it has to do with the squee factor we can handle it.

Unknown said...

I can't believe the bitching over Keller. Yes, I find her reactions to be fairly credible. Although I wouldn't have blinked at the rope bridge myself, having spent a few summers at Boy Scout camp.

If you need a male name and place of origin, Bryan Price from Hebron, Ohio would be nice. :) Midwestern accent (although it was a cross between Midwestern and West Virginian while growing up, due to the mixture of immigrants there), middle aged. :-P

Anonymous said...

Ahh, poor Joe!!!

Well, if you get tired of packaged soy products, maybe you could tempt your palate with drinks like "Christmas Ham Soda" or "Jelly Doughnut Soda". Interested?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2007-11-10-holiday-sodas_N.htm

Anonymous said...

Answer: They’re in another galaxy facing life-sucking aliens and savage off-world cannibals. How many possible candidates could they have chosen from that would have been comfortable dealing with such “out of the ordinary occurrences”? Keller’s response to the dangers she faced was very much the type of reaction one would expect from any normal human being (read: you and pretty much everyone else who has criticized her reaction) in an extreme life or death situation.

Sorry, I don't buy it. The whole point is that she is not meant to be a "normal human being" she is meant to be the kind of person who would believably volunteer for a mission which is already known to be dangerous, unpredictable and challenging. She is yet to give any impression she is anything of the kind. And if you are implying that the program is short of candidates of that calibre, I ask again, what justification is there for not using military doctor? Or doctors experienced in foreign aid? It just doesn't make sense.

Anonymous said...

Do you guys want to boost the ratings or not?

Gateworld has said that Travelers rebounded. How is point one a rebound?

How's the "Carter will bring in all the SG1 fans" working for you? Because it's not translating in numbers.

It's just my opinion, but I think the show would rate better if you'd left Beckett and Weir in their positions, and spared the audience the over-exposed Carter and the pathetically childish Keller.

AV eddy said...

Hello Joe!

OMGed, a video with both Martin G. and your dogs? Can't get cuter than that!!! (Except if it were my hubby and my dogs - but I'm sure you understand.)

Condolences for a crappy morning (literally!) and crappy lunch. Dogs can be quite, uh, interesting sometimes. (I'm currently dealing with the Great Chewie Incident, and no, it's not about a Wookiee.)

I hope Fondy has a safe trip and you eat better food. :)

Never seen E.T., eh? Betcha don't like old timey bicycles either!*

Just watched Missing again, and really enjoyed it again. Nabel wouldn't be in league with the Asurans, would he?

I checked out The Gunslinger from the library, and should be ready to discuss at the end of the month.

eddy

*(Sorry, lame Simpsons ref.)

PG15 said...

So...let me get this straight: You are now home alone, with 4 dogs that basically followed you around the entire day?

Forget what Paul Mullie said about you and Fondy getting dangerous close to that "crazy dog couple", I think you're already the "crazy dog guy". Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Speaking of which, what are the chances that one of the pugs or Lulu will guest star on Atlantis Season 5? I'm totally serious Joe, I think it'll be a hoot!

Also, you are 9 days away from the 1 year anniversary of the creation of this blog! Surely you'll do something festive? I can't wait to see it.

Finally...

Anonymous said...
The flaw in that answer is that Keller's been in the Pegasus Galaxy for some time and already faced some pretty whacked out life-or-death situations. After all the crazy s**t that she's experienced in the past couple of months or so that we know she's been in Atlantis prior to "Missing," it's not unreasonable for viewers to expect her to start acting less freaked-out by what passes for "normal" in Pegasus by now.


True; Keller has seen her share of oddities and fatal situations. However, I would put Missing as the first instance where she had to 1). face it nearly alone and 2). face it directly. Let's take a look at the instances so far:

In First Strike, she and everyone else faced death by death-beam, but really, if you didn't know the beam was there, it would've seemed like a normal day. The city basically makes everyone less vulnerable than they would be if they were to fight threats hand-to-hand, let's say. Heck, nobody even needed any medical treatment until Weir got hurt.

In Adrift, she was basically in her domain as she try to save Weir, while again everyone was facing the same danger of death by suffocation.

Lifeline is a continuation of the threat in Adrift.

She wasn't even in Reunion, and Atlantis wasn't really in danger either.

Doppleganger: once again, she is in her domain and everyone is vulnerable. The threat is also slow-acting so she has time to prepare herself to "expect" whats to come.

Travelers: She wasn't in danger at all, and neither was Atlantis.

Tabula Rasa: See Doppleganger; kinda the same thing there.

And now Missing: Suddenly, the walls of Atlantis has been removed and she is alone with Teyla in the wilderness surrounded by savage cannibals. Do you honestly not see a difference between this situation and the ones in the previous episodes?

Anonymous said...

To be frank I think people are disappointed with Keller�s reaction because as a doctor she should have been seen to unleash her super sekrit ninja powers on them, running behind a tree to rush back into the fray in a multi fluoro leotard, ruthlessly vaccinating her enemies and making them cry. But hey, if you want my advice as a complete stranger off the internet with no industry experience to steer you clear on future story ideas, you just ask me, no need to play shy, or horrified. At the end of the day I just want to help you, help me, tell the exact stories that I play out with my SGA dolls during my lunch breaks when nobody will sit with me.

Oh, prediction for Season Five: finally bowing down to fandom pressure an unfortunate miscommunication with wardrobe leads to Sheppard spending Season Five sockless. Because if it�s to do with the squee factor as we glimpse ankle, we can handle it.

Tesajb said...

Wow..so much drama over Keller. Seemed normal to me. Did I mention the internets is serious business??

Don't feel bad about your lunch. I got stuck with oatmeal and an apple D=.

chasing keegan said...

While it seems that you may have suffered for a bit today, those of us on the Island, only just got back our power or at least where I am. It has been off since 7 am and all I could think of was OMG what I am going to do with my 2 year old for the entire day and please, please anyone listening...so help me if I miss Atlantis tonight! Well, needless to say we did survive and at about 20 to 7 the power came back on and Keegan and I sat down to watch the eppy. Which, while still on the fence about Keller I thought was another great episode of the season and kudos to Jewel on that rope bridge!

Hoping that the your meal tomorrow was better then ours tonight!

Anonymous said...

I've been reading your blog and other episode reviews and just thought I'd pop in and say how much I appreciated Keller's characterization in last Friday's episode.

I confess I hadn't been too crazy about her up until Friday (probably because Carson was so adorable) but I thought she was excellent. Her character was given depth and a personality that is completely believable. I liked that she wasn't the big bad hero that the four members of The Team are. (Even Rodney, with is very large gun!)

(Don't get me wrong, I have extreme amounts of love for The Team. They are awesome in many, many ways.)

Keller was a normal person thrown into extraordinary circumstances and forced to adapt to them. She manages it, but she's petrified pretty much the entire time. It was a nice reminder that not everyone is quite superhero material and, you know what? That's okay.

Unknown said...

Oh my God, YOUR DOGS!!! I may possibly have watched that, um, a few times. My favorite part? That little cheater Lulu taking a shortcut through the corner office, LOL. I think it's quite clear who the genius is in that pack.

Thanks for sharing the clip. :-)

Mackenzies Momma said...

*Pokes head up and furitively scans the area surrounding her hidden embattlement on the side of a heavily forested hill*

I like keller! While I admit at first that i wasn't completely sold on her character. I decided to wait her out and see what ya'll could do with her as I have heard that jewel is an amazing actress(i have nothing to guage it by as i have not seen any of her other non-sg preformances).

Fridays' episode has completely tilted me into the sometimes lonely 'I like Keller' Camp. I feel that she is an amazingly complex character who i cannot wait to see further into what makes her tick.

Though I must admit I was left in a lurch by my DVR at the end of the episode as it cut off the final scene in the middle of her sentence(i got to the 'and' of it) thankfully i have wonderful friends who were able to fill me in on what i missed.

My question of the day is: Do we get a Keller centric episode later in the season as well as this one?

*gathers her laptop and scurrys off in search of a better hideaway*

Anonymous said...

This must be a really old question, but do you play the game 'Dogz 5' (judging by your profile picture) I have the game 'Catz 5'

Anonymous said...

I have watched Travelers a few times over the last week and I had some questions for you about plot decisions made for the episode since it seems the plot is a group effort with you guys and then the specifics left up to one writer with input from the rest. In general, I thought the basic premise for the episode was good, but the execution of the plot left a lot to be desired to me. Here are my questions and comments:

1) Why not very much background info on the Travelers especially in the scene with Larrin and Sheppard in the dining room? It would have been better with more backgound info and less attempts at sexual innuendo and since Larrin lives in space, how does she know what a street is to understand Sheppard's two-way street comment? A two-way "conversation" would have been better than street. Also, no comment about how such a young woman is the leader of her people instead of a 40 to 50 year old (oh yeah those demographics you keep saying you guys aren't aiming for *rolleyes*)?

2) Why only Sheppard, Larrin, and two red-shirts, I mean Nevik and Silas transfer from the Travelers ship to the Ancient warship? I mean a security team and a team to start working on repairing the radiation leaks would have seemed more appropriate especially after Nevik said he had been working on the ship for two months?

3) After Larrin locked up Sheppard after the poor plot device radiation leak excuse, why isn't Silas guarding Sheppard in his cell since he seemed to be no help to Nevik in the bridge and Larrin would have been more useful?

4) Instead of satisfying a group of Sheppard fans by having Larrin punch him three times, why didn't Larrin just bring Sheppard to the bridge under gunpoint (and maybe one punch) to move the ship into hyperspace and away from the Wraith ship that was coming? A REAL leader would have been thinking of that first and then punishing Sheppard later after the danger was past. It would have made more sense to me that while doing that, the Wraith ship showed up before they made it to the bridge and then they could have detoured to the weapons control chair room and then you could off still killed off the red-shirts.

5) Why didn't Sheppard shut down the door between Larrin and the Wraith and then isolated all the other Wraith since he seemed to be able to keep Larrin from moving around?

6) Why didn't Larrin fire on the first Wraith since she clearly had the gun up and level enough to fire before the Wraith knocked it out of her hand? The director should have made sure that Jill Wagner didn't get the gun out as fast as she did and also the look of terror on her face again did not show the face of a leader? (or may be it was just the actress not giving a believable performance in any emotional scenes but was OK in the action scenes for the episode? No wonder you only have her back for one more episode this season.) It was also convienent that after attacking the Wraith with the knife, Larrin goes past the Wraith and not backwards towards her gun that Sheppard eventually picks up? Not convincing fight choreography which is unusual on SGA with Bam Bam as fight/stunt choreographer.

7) How are the Wraith and Sheppard and Larrin able to move around the ship now with very little concern for the aforementioned radiation leaks around the ship? Seems odd that this "problem" seemed to go away or were they only moving in the shielded sections?

8) How is Larrin, who we have already determined can't use Ancient tech due to the lack of the ATA gene, now able to use the LSD that requires the user to have the ATA gene? If a different type, why not tell us that it is?

9) Two good parts were when Larrin asked Sheppard how he is communicating with her since he doesn't have a communicator and the bit about Larrin going back for the first Wraith's weapon. The flip side to both of those is why this Wraith can take three shots (one head shot should suffice as mentioned later in the episode) and still move when Ronon usually only takes one shot and the Wraith are dead? Also, nice bit of giving the Wraith information by Larrin and Sheppard using the internal comm system to talk to each other, and consequently the Wraith, unless Sheppard could control where in the ship the comm system operates which was never said in the episode.

10) A bad bit of directing when Larrin is leading the two Wraith down the hallway, she completely misses the doorway opening device and wildly waves her arm near the middle of the door. In that same scene, how does she not see the Wraith in hallway in front of her since the hallway was pretty long?

11) How does Sheppard not feel Larrin's arm moving to grab the stunner out of his back? He should have been suspicious of her but he wasn't. It would have been more realistic if he had blocked her arm and then she kneed him in the groin in order to get the stunner.

12) Finally, the timeline after the stunning doesn't match up because Sheppard should have been out until after Larrin contacted her people and then he could have woken up when they were transfering over the techs and security team. Too long of a time to get down that hallway from when Larrin talks to Sheppard. If it was shown that he was stuck in the hallway for awhile and then the security team opens the door, then that would have been believable to me.

Anonymous said...

Will we see Mitch Pileggi on season four or season five? I think his character, Steven Caldwell, was an amazing addition to the show. I'm hoping we get a lot more of him like we got especially in season two and some of season three.

Unknown said...

I too HATE mustard on my hot dogs. I prefer only ketchup. And since exiting childhood I've found myself unable to eat cheap (fast food) hot dogs. I'm a big fan of either Hebrew National or Oscar Mayer. As a top food connoisseur are you picky about hot dogs (and other fast food meats) or will your answer surprise us all?

I'm wondering if anybody from Swiss Chalet reads your blog, if so you may have more to worry about than just some burned food... be careful.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the first hand information on Pugs. I think I'm going to go ahead and consider a few other breeds as well before I make a decision.

As for the windy weather, it looks like the PNW is due for more rain, but not a lot of wind (at least until our next storm). I'm just grateful that they got the power lines repaired!

Anonymous said...

"I woke up this morning to a veritable hurricane - whipping wind, driving rain, and bone-chilling temperatures guaranteed to set your teeth a-chatter."

I live here too... and that windstorm was so bad I woke up this morning and our barbeque was halfway across our yard.

from a hurricane victim of Vancouver

Anonymous said...

Great Video LOL those dogs have the life.

About been home alone, at least you are doing better than my husband, when I leave for a while he lives out of microwave popcorn regardless of a refrigerator full of food.

SO French bulldogs are stuborn.

Anonymous said...

Missing was great!! It was good to see Teyla kicking some serious butt and the dark side of her character i can't wait to see more of that. Keller was good to when she shot the wraith worshipper. When does the rest of the team find out that Teyla has a baby on board?

Edward4th said...

Hi Joe, I just finished watching Missing which, I have to admit, I wasn't prepared to like having up to now felt that Keller had yet to develop her character. That said I must now say how EXCELLENT it was and I am finding Keller to be very likable and I think I understand now how the character is being played. It finally dawned on me while watching that while we all would like to think we would be the "Teyla" in such circumstances, certainly in MY reality I would be Keller, a gibbering wreck. I doubt ANY amount of acclimatisation could prepare a previously unaware earthbound human to the perils of the Pegasus galaxy and off-world travel.
This was a brilliant episode and Keller is now firmly set in my mind as a bona fide member of the team.
I doubt you feel it that important but I'm going to say it anyway, please convey my appreciation to Rachel and Jewel for their outstanding performances.
cheers

Anonymous said...

In the episodes in which Carter is absent ("Travelers" and "Missing") nothing is mentioned about where she is. Was this an oversight by the writers(for BOTH episodes)? Or is it intentionaly left up to the audience to figure out where she went(ie: offworld in Pegasus, or back on Earth for an IOA debriefing\deposition, etc.)?

Anonymous said...

hi joe, can you tell us if WGA strike will affect Season 5 of Atlantis and why our favorite show was not affected by it. I mean are your writers at strike or they are not members of WGA, or maybe it has something to do with the show being produced in Canada? Please share with us your thoughts about it.
Thanks

thetattootwin said...

Hi Joe,

I met David Nykl last weekend in germany on a convention. It seemed as if he really liked one of my music videos I made for Stargate Atlantis. So he tried to call and convince you to get me into the show as an artist or whatever ... okay, he faked the call, but I thought that was really nice of him anyway, wasn't it? It's the thought that counts, right? ;o)

So, how are the chances that you'll come over to a convention? Maybe the Pegasus 3 in London in January? That would be great!!!

And how are the chances that we'll get kind of a Zelenka-based episode in season 5? I really would appreciate that, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one.

Cheers, Julia

Anonymous said...

Lulu is a French Bulldog. She comes with her own issues which include eye problems and extreme stubborness.

"extreme stubborness" lol that must be the French side of her !!

KMcK, French and used-to-be fan.

Unknown said...

Which of the dogs is the clever one that worked out the short cut of running through the corner office to get there quicker while chasing Martin?

Amz said...

Joe, I've gotta hand it to you, your patience with the people who seemingly dislike/hate/question Keller's presence is amazing. Do you always resond to such bombardment with such impressive wit?

I swear I wouldn't have as much grace (not least of all because the latest anonymous comment said she should be use to all the "crazy s***", when Beckett was just as freaked - and hilarious - in season 2. I'm making an assumption people don't like her because Beckett's gone, sorry if I'm wrong there).

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe...
How come Vala wasn't included in the cast photo on the season 10 dvd's? Also there are some SG1 team photos for AoT floating around without Vala in them...?

Unknown said...

well i may be a little late but here is how i do the eye drops. Got a smallish infection as well.

so what i do is i sit in a chair, lean backwards, pull down the lower lid of my eye with my hand. (right hand for right eye and left hand for left eye.)

Then i let my thumb knuckle (the first, the closest to the actual hand.) of the opposite hand rest on my nose while i hold the bottle with my thumb and index finger and slowly squeeze out a drop into my eye.

it works great and hardly miss any drop. hope it also helps for you!

Anonymous said...

Coincidentally, I heard this joke yesterday:

Q: What would it take to get a Beatles Reunion?

A: Two bullets.

WolfenM said...

Awww, poor Joe! Sounds like you had a miserable day! :( I'd box some of this Florida sunshine and send it to you if I could figure out how! (Cause really, I'm pretty sick of it now ... I'd gladly trade ya a blustery day!)

Here, maybe this (admittedly pointless) vid of my bunny eating babyfood will make ya smile! :D

crazedturkey said...

Was that a rare glimpse of the elusive Paul Mullie urging the pugs and Lulu on?

Wow...:p

Anonymous said...

Given that chick from Travellers appears again for a while in episode 11, are you expecting any comments regarding her character to come?

Charles Schneider said...

I love the video of the dogs running. My lab puppy would act the same way when he was growing up. You trying to coax them outside on a bad day is like me trying to coax my puppy into the water to swim.
Do you think you'll use a dog sitter since Fondy is out of town, or take the guys to the office every day?

pafuso said...

I don't know if you heard this or not (given that you live in Canada, not the States), but on NPR's Morning Edition, Nancy Pearl, librarian and model for the Librarian action-figure doll, was a guest. This time she gave her recommendations for good science fiction and fantasy books. You mentioned a couple of posts ago that you are starting to read the runner-ups for the book club, and I thought you might be interested in some of her choices when you finish reading your current books. The URL is:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16159971

-p

Anonymous said...

After watching that video, I just have to say that you all have way too much fun at work. I need a super villain to save me from my crappy job.

Can I come work with you?

I'd make a great assistant coffee (or chocolate) fetcher, chief pooper-scooper or barricade builder. And I promise my German shepherd won't mistake Lulu for a Scooby snack.

Let me know where to send my resume.

WB

PLoker said...

Ah good ol' stagg chili... I remeber it fondly, my friends and I had ventured to it's tasty morsals a few times... good choice Joe!!

I was watching the new boradcast for BC (I'm in Ontario) thanks to timeshifting and saw all the devestation that the wheather has caused and you and the studio where the first people I thought of and wondered if you were ok.. Glad to see you survived!! Here is hoping for better wheather or is this standard BC winters??

Anonymous said...

*laughing*

Now I see why you say you don't need a dogsitter - after all, when you can just let them loose on Marty G that's gotta be more fun!

Rough day indeed...poor you! If it helps any, I've been stuck in an office without heating all day - my fingers are so numb the only way I know I've hit the keys is the fact letters keep appearing on the screen! (And you don't wanna know how many times I've had to correct my spelling! *chuckles*)

Saw 'Missing' last night. It's great to see the hard side of Teyla. It especially interested me to see Shep's reaction when she swore to make someone pay - when the boss man is somewhat perturbed, you know there's something bad coming! Loved it - great job, Carl!

Hey...would you mind if I copy/pasted some of the answers about Season 4 you've given to show SG fans I know who don't get to see your blog? They have real lives see...unlike me, who can't seem to get by without my daily Joe M chuckle-fix! *grin* I know you probably don't but hey! Always nice to be asked, right?

Hope the day got better!

Toodles!

Dreams

Paula said...

Okay. The cuteness of those dogs is not to be believed. I fully expect Martin to be inspired by the Running of the Dogs to come up with some sort of equivalent Wraith joke in Season 5.

And it's always nice to know that your dogs have more sense than you do to go out in bad weather. My dog did that to me last year during an ice storm. She's no fool!

Nicobar said...

I just wanted to wade into the fray. I think that Keller did a fantastic job. Teyla and her were traveling to have a friendly visit when suddenly everything changed.

Keller faced her fears, overcame them, and then shot that SOB in the leg!! My son thought that was great!!

Keep up the great work! I love watching how you and your partners are unraveling a great story. The character changes will work. Everybody sit down, hang on and enjoy the ride!

cheers,

Nicobar

Anonymous said...

1)Will any of the crew suffer an emotional downward spiral, maybe even dragging other teammates down along the way?

2)Will the fact that Atlantis has become home to the crew become an underlying conflict for other stories, as it was for Ronon in Reunion?

Unknown said...

Did you get many complaints of how whiny Carson was in The Eye (so much so that Ford had to threaten him), and how he wasn't acting like typical SG personnel?

Didn't think so.

Honestly, as much as I love Carson and ADORE Paul McGillion (he's about the sweetest Stargate actor I've met so far, and I've also met Amanda Tapping so that says a lot!), I think Keller's characterization was dead on, given her situation. Just how many cannibals has an SG team encountered anyway?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Teyla episode. It was great to see another side of her. The true Teyla is who I have been missing since Season 1.

Since Teyla has been on Atlantis who has been leading her people? Will we see more Teyla/Keller bonding? I hope so.

The Running of the dogs was quite cute. It makes a cat lover like me want a dog.

Anonymous said...

salut Mr. joe,

je sais que l'on vous répéte souvant mais comment faire pour vous convaincre afin que le personnage de weir revienne, il faut que tout le monde ce mette à jenoux pour vous supplier...PLEASE!!!!car là ça devient dépriment de plus la voir alors que c'est un personnage qui a vraiment du potentiel!!!

Même si le début de saison est super, on sent quelque chose qui n'est plus là!!!
Le changement c'est bien, mais c'est pas la peine de tout chambouler!!!

merci de repondre.

Une fan desesperate !!!!

Anonymous said...

pour être directe que va t-il se passer entre sheppard et weir dans TMC?
weir va t-ele faire l'ascention?

Anonymous said...

I am so tired of the fans that say Keller is a wimp - she's no worse than Zelenka was in Duet and that was deemed 'cute' not 'wimpish' by the fans! Carson wasn't exactly fearless either, though he tended to be less vocal, that's all. And Rodney in season one (and occasionally even now) had/has his moments! Hide & Seek, anyone?! Not to mention Suspicion when they go to capture the Wraith!

I think she was portrayed just right - and she did attack that guy at the end and shoot him! And she didn't give Atlantis away but used her brains to buy more time (and work out that the guy at the end wasn't Genii etc).

And even though I'm not particularly afraid of heights and don't suffer vertigo, I would have baulked at that rope bridge - especially with a hurt ankle!

I'm looking forward to seeing her adapt to stressful and downright frightening situations... like Rodney has, like Radek has, like Carson did...

You know, if Keller had made a 'strategic withdrawal' in Reunion like Rodney did, I bet they'd be calling her a coward, whereas with Rodney, he was obviously going for back up because he isn't Rambo and knows it!! Some people just don't *want* to like her, that's all.

But the way, I'm not sure who is nuttier - your dogs or Marty G et al!!! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and someone has posted a comment asking for all of SG1 in a season 5 ep - please don't if you can avoid it!

I like having Carter in charge, I'm looking forward to Teal'c's guest appearence, I would like to see Daniel on Atlantis, enjoyed Jack's visit etc, but I wouldn't want the whole team there at the same time... it's Atlantis, not SG1, after all and you didn't see all SGA characters in SG1's The Pegasus Project (and they were *on* Atlantis), so why should we expect or want it in an SGA episode?!

Just my two pennies worth!

Anonymous said...

Coming from a place where the Beatles are hailed as gods most of the time, it's hard to believe there's actually someone else out there who doesn't like them all that much. I don't particularly dislike them, just...well, I think ambivolent is the word. Same with E.T.

The desire to be a chef, I don't agree on though. I'd resent having to give the nice food to other people so I'd probably just go right ahead and eat it myself. It could end badly for my arteries.

Not sure what the policy on links is but I thought this was absolute genius and deserved to be shared. It occurred to me when reading it that it sounded like something Lulu would do. Which in turn led to me deciding that, when faced with a dilemma, people should start asking themselves 'What would Lulu do?' and acting accordingly. It would always lead to fun. Maybe at their expense, but fun nonetheless.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7092301.stm

firefly827347 said...

It's official: Marty G is awesome.

♥ANAIS♥ said...

Salut Joseph!!
Sa va bien?? Moi sa va.
Je suis un peu fatiguer, mais maintenant j'ai l'habitude.

Outch ici aussi il fait un temp affreux.

Questions:
1)Quel est votre peuple préféré dans stargate atlantis?
2)Les audience de 'Travelers" vous comviennent?
3)Avez vous deja goutez du chocolat à l'orange? vous aimez?

Voila! Merci, je vous aimme! a demain, kisouuuu!!! Bonne journée!

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if Amanda Tapping will continue her role as commander of Atlantis in season 5. Haven't seen anything about that yet.

Iris said...

Lol, I just had a feeling it was a joke. I'm not much of a fan myself, although I do enjoy some of their mjusic, especially the early stuff.

What about Beatles covers? Maybe the drug crazed Joe Cocker version of "With a Little Help from My Friends"?

Pauline said...

pauline said
I don't know if you heard this or not (given that you live in Canada, not the States), but on NPR's Morning Edition, Nancy Pearl, librarian and model for the Librarian action-figure doll, was a guest. This time she gave her recommendations for good science fiction and fantasy books. You mentioned a couple of posts ago that you are starting to read the runner-ups for the book club, and I thought you might be interested in some of her choices when you finish reading your current books. The URL is:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=16159971

-p

Hey I've got my very own doppleganger!
Pauline

Anonymous said...

I just saw the clip for The Seer on the MGM website. Yikes, can the Wraith feed through their hands? The episode looks very good.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
It's just my opinion, but I think the show would rate better if you'd left Beckett and Weir in their positions, and spared the audience the over-exposed Carter and the pathetically childish Keller.


And there it is ... out in the open.. the real reason for all this Keller and Carter bashing ...

By constantly bitching about the Keller and Carter characters the Weir and Beckett fanatics are just hoping against hope that they will wear Joe down.

In reality, Joe is doing fine and all the fanatics are accomplishing is wearing the readers of this blog down to the point were they can't wait to see Weir's replicator dust scattered on the Atlantian sea by Keller.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous 1 said
Joe, I was just watching the O'Neill goes to Atlantis special on the DVDs. Brad and Martin repeatedly said how they brought RDA to Atlantis to help boost ratings and get more awareness for the show by having a well known actor on it.
So I'm curious on your thoughts. Do you think it helped? Would it help if he came back, or is a one time deal all that was needed?


Hi Joe permit me to answer this - Yes RDA boosted the ratings "The Real World" got the highest ratings in season 4 (1.8 I think)...

Anonymous said...

Bonjour,

J'ai lu le résumé de l'épisode "Missing" et je pense qu'il est dommage que cette histoire n'ait pas été écrite plus tôt dans la série !
J'ai espéré pendant les 3 premières saisons voir un épisode comme celui-ci avec Teyla et Elizabeth !

J'attends avec impatience "This mortal coil" pour avoir le plaisir de retrouver Torri, car je ne regarde plus Atlantis depuis "Lifeline".
En tout cas après 10 ans de SG1 et 3 ans de SGA, je vous remercie d'avoir enchanté ma vie avec ces séries incroyables !

merci

ActingChick said...

I have found the anti-Keller, Keller-is-a-wimp she should be off the show comments short sighted. Not everyone can be an out of the box hero. By wanting her to be a tough, handle every situation, super medical doctor, they are not allowing the character an opportunity to grow, and for the audience to take the journey with her.

Of course she is overwhelmed by the events she is experiencing (who wouldn't be really? - I'd be pissing my pants.) Rodney McKay was an arrogant, self-centered, coward, but now he is a little less arrogant, a smidge less self-centered, and a little more brave when he has to be. It has taken him 3 seasons to get where he is. Carson was always very afraid to use his Ancient gene to fly or run the chair etc. He got better at it. Give Keller a chance.

If you want boring, two-dimensional characters, I think you are watching the wrong show.

P.S. I know it's early, but I'm commenting to practice for that coveted 750,000 spot.

semisweet said...

Hi Joe,

I was wrong to voice my concerns about how Keller was being portrayed here on your blog. This is not the place to do that kind of thing. Sorry. From now on I'll just give you a thumbs up or down on an episode. Nothing more or nothing less, OK?

I also don't like the Beatles and have never watched an episode of Friends. Nice to know there's someone else out there with impeccable taste.

So, does this mean you're NOT sweet, compassionate, sensitive and most of all, forgiving? ;P

Anonymous said...

Heeee! Is there anything funnier than seeing dogs, especially short-legged dogs, trying to accelerate/corner on a smooth, tiled/linoleum floor? :D

Anonymous said...

1. Mary Sues are boring *cough*Carter*cough*. I like my characters flawed. And a little stupid about life. They're so much more fun to watch.

2. I like it lots when their flaws have CONSEQUENCES, e.g. Sheppard's problem with following orders in Hot Zone, McKay's unwillingness to believe other people are as smart as he (Trinity), Carson's sleeping through his ethics lectures in med school (every ep he was on). And of course, Keller's unreadiness for offworld missions in Missing. More, please.

3. This expedition is supposed to represent the best and the brightest
Okay, do you honestly still believe this after 3+ seasons of SGA and 10 of SG1 (if you were a fan)? No, REALLY?

But seriously, best and brightest is still far from perfect. And given the number of scientists/military that have died in Stargate over this decade (who were also the best, unless Stargate-verse is awesome and we're only killing the stupid people), we must be on the second string now, don't you think?

4. True that we haven't seen military doctors, but we haven't seen military scientist, techs, etc. either (where was Cadman the demolitions/computer expert when her boyfriend got blown up by a tumor anyway). My rationalization: the SGC got sick of Sheppard breaking their toys/boys. They're not sharing anymore.

OMG! The Atlantis crew are like non-union workers crossing the picket line while the real heroes are on strike. You can't expect the best work from that, do you?

Anonymous said...

Is there any chance of the following happening: Beckett coming back, finding a cure to Weir's nanites (resulting in Weir coming back as the Atlantis leader). Then sending Keller back to College and have Sam return to Earth so she can be with Jack? This way we get the real Atlantis back and can just bypass the rest of S4?

Arctic Goddess said...

Hi Joe:

Congratulations on surviving the canned chili. Bleh!

We experienced your blustery day here in Alberta today. The wind took it's time arriving. Maybe it stayed overnight at the Jasper Park Lodge; vacation retreat of such celebrities as Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and The Bare Naked Ladies. Ah to be a Bare Naked Lady in the winter in Canada.

By the way, Joe, I got "modded" by the GateWorld moderators for promoting voting for Stargate Atlantis for a People's Choice Award. It seems that I was spamming. How is that for suffering for my favorite show?

I hope you have a better day today.

Patricia

Anonymous said...

"They’re in another galaxy facing life-sucking aliens and savage off-world cannibals. How many possible candidates could they have chosen from that would have been comfortable dealing with such “out of the ordinary occurrences”? Keller’s response to the dangers she faced was very much the type of reaction one would expect from any normal human being (read: you and pretty much everyone else who has criticized her reaction) in an extreme life or death situation."

Oh where to begin with this answer.

First, as somebody else pointed out, Keller's been in Pegasus for a while and been through quite a bit. If she was just another doctor on the show, I might be able to forgive some of this crap, but she's supposed to be the CMO and somebody who has been in Atlantis since before Carson died. If she's still flipping out at this point, the job obviously is not for her, and I don't know how any member of the expedition could trust her to treat them during an emergency situation.

Second, would most of us act that way? You bet. But how many of us would be offered a job as CMO of an alien base? And if we were, how many of us would accept it knowing about all the bad guys that exist? And if we did accept the job, how many of us would still have the CMO job after completely freaking out?

Third, how many other candidates could they have had for this position? Let's see, off the top of my head we have Dr. Cole (been around for quite a while), Dr. Biro (in Atlantis since day one), Dr. Lam, any of the other SGC doctors, Dr. Frasier (death is never the end in SciFi), Simon (and yes, I know he wouldn't take it), or any doctor who has ever been in charge of a field hospital or Emergency Department. I'm sure there are quite a few more, but that's just a few off the top of my head.

Finally, I'd like to say that I love Jewel, but the more I see of Keller the less I like her. I already will not re-watch Doppelganger because of her, and Missing I won't turn on until Ronon, Sheppard, and McKay show up. (Ronon has been the only consistently good character this season, which is just sad. I love Ronon, but I miss the old Sheppard and Rodney.) In Tabula Rasa, Keller looked so dang bored through the entire episode (not sure if she was written that way or Jewel was just that bored) that she practically put me to sleep. (Ronon, and his interactions with Sheppard, were just awesome in that episode.) If something major doesn't occur with Keller to make her a likable character that fits the part of CMO, I hope she doesn't come back in season 5. I'm actually surprised, because I've never disliked a character on any show that I normally enjoy this much. I was so looking forward to this character being added, but it's been nothing but a disappointment so far.

Anonymous said...

1) Have you talk to shank's, to get him in season five Atlantis?

2) Have you ever been in Norway or Sweden?

Anonymous said...

lol... i loved the video! You guys seem to have a lot of fun at work (as well as obviously working hard). How do the people and office atmosphere at stargate compare to other places you have worked?

Anonymous said...

Your dog running event reminds me of this monty python clip:-


http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=16iNk1hLJt4

Titan Grrl said...

I can sympathise... my dog has actually chewed through her lead in a bid for freedom...

Luckily she just took herself for a walk along the route we take her every day and turned up on our doorstep again 20 minutes later!

Have the pugs ever given you a real scare like that, or do they realise how good they've got it and decide to stay put? ;)

Mary

Anonymous said...

You want people to pretend they like Keller? Say nothing and stop watching the show (okay an over reaction but I'm just making a point). There are a LOT of people out there who can't stand the character, and not all because of Beckett. A lot yes, but what were you expecting? Collective amnesia? Yes I would far rather have Beckett, but if that is not possible then can we at least have a character who isn't a rehash of McKay. And personally I think the fact that we've seen the scared scientist proving themselves in the face of adversery ad nauseum(Mckay, Beckett, Zelenka, Lee, heck jackson even) has as much to do with the dislike of Keller as anything else. We've seen it all before.

Gracey is not my name.... said...

Love the video!!

Love the season so far...Met Rachel a few years ago at a con and so glad that she has been given more of a front burner story line.

BTW, I know he's not your type of author, but Jonathan Kellerman features a French bulldog in his Alex Delaware novels, named Spike.

ptarmigan said...

Saw Missing last night and enjoyed it very much. (The lollipop thing was funny). However, I thought that the Bola Kai were much scarier before they started speaking. /shrugs

Herbert said...

Joe, I have send an email to: CoooooookieMonster@yahoo.com entitled "From Herbert". Thank-you for your time.

Anonymous said...

To all those still whingeing that as CMO etc Keller should be tougher and able to deal with the dangers of the Pegasus Galaxy without freaking, can I ask you to consider how happy Carson was about going off-world in Seasons 1-2? And the worst he had to deal with was a fairly advanced, welcoming society where a medical experiment went tragically wrong (hardly outside his regular purview) and dealing with a single armed and possibly hostile patient (something most doctors who've done an ER rotation, let alone any kind of overseas aid work etc, has probably already experienced) with military sniper support. Trapped on a planet outnumbered by rampaging cannibals and with no weapons and no back-up? Not so much. Can anyone seriously imagine series 1 era Carson staying perfectly calm and capable and not freaking out at all in that situation?

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe, bad luck on the weather; sadly the weathr here in NZ is just as bad.

RE:Jedi said...
Hi Joe,

Question: how come Joe F never takes his shirt off on a episode anymore?
Does his wife not like him doing it on the show for some reason or is it his own choice?

If it has to do with the squee factor we can handle it.


Jedi - I believe I heard a week or so ago (her eon the blog) that it is JoeF who doesnt want to take his shirt off due to the 'squee' levels.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I just reread the comment I posted earlier. Yikes. Sorry, I know the Wraith feed through their hands but what I meant was can they feed off the person through the person's hand or does it have to be near the neck? And I just realized that you won't probably answer this because this might spoil a part of The Seer. And you probably can't decipher what I just wrote anyways. Oh well. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe! Are the dogs goofing off again? Or is it just Lulu?

I have a really odd question, possibly the strangest off-the-wall question you have ever been asked. What do you think would be harder for an Athosian (who was living with the Athosians in one of their settlements) : being blind or being deaf? And here's another really weird question (that probably has a really reasonable and sensible common sense answer): Why are there almost never any aliens with disabilities? For example, I don't think that I have ever seen an Ancient who had a medical problem besides being old. And do any of the members of the Atlantis expedition have disabilities (besides any imagined ones that Rodney might have)? And is there anyone the Wraith won't eat (The elderly, sick, disabled, etc. or do they not care?) ? Thanks! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe.. random question of the day. Poetry - yay or nay? What's your thoughts on it? Any favourite poets... or is it just not your cup of decaf skinny mochachino?

Anonymous said...

Sherwood Forest Maiden said...
Jedi - I believe I heard a week or so ago (her eon the blog) that it is JoeF who doesnt want to take his shirt off due to the 'squee' levels.


You can't blame a guy wanting to have his actorly man nipples taken seriously instead of being oogled over as sex objects. He's not just a piece of meat, damnit!

And as for Carson, SO better at handling scary situations than Keller. Why I remember that episode where he ran behind a tree and changed into a mulit fluro unitard and over came his opponents weilding a stethoscope and frantically thrown tongue depressors. What a magnificent sight that was. I'm giddy in the re-telling.

That's why I'd want Rambo posted as my doctor when going off world. Sure, everyone would end up dying on the operating table, but think of the carnage that he could inflict! I know that's what I look for in a medical professional.

Anonymous said...

Dovil. Oh my dear Dovil. I can't quote your entire comment because laughing that hard puts me at risk of herniating something... which would be bad.

So let me just say, "actorly man nipples", chortle hysterically for a moment, and leave it at that.

:D

Anonymous said...

How many more comments until the 750,000th comment? Thanks.

Anonymous said...

You might be allergic to Soy or the canned chilli was bad or you might be allergic to peanut oil or almonds from brownies.

Hopefully not Peniciline or thats going to be a HUGE issue, been allergic to it is a pain in the ass, must good antibiotics have it.

semisweet said...

That's why I'd want Rambo posted as my doctor when going off world. Sure, everyone would end up dying on the operating table, but think of the carnage that he could inflict! I know that's what I look for in a medical professional.

Dovil. OMG! I was gigglesnorting so loud at your comment that I woke my hubby up.

Anonymous said...

Please answer


Do you look forward to a day when all SGA fans can accept keller as a character, and not ask repeatidly different questions designed to reduce her purpose on the show in general?

i think every day or two you answer keller question after another, probably by the same people

Anonymous said...

Looking over some of the posts on the blog over the last week or so, I noticed that a lot of people have mentioned how some parts of episodes do not seem logical in a "real" world situation. I was wondering, as a writer in Sci-Fi, how much do you have to bend reality in order to make a story more dramatic? Do you ever feel like some fans look at things too literally and don't let their imagination work while watching an episode?

It seems a convention among writers that things always happen in the nick of time whereas in the real world, the timing usually isn't that good. Do you feel a limitation to the tried and true TV convention of the teaser and four (or five?) acts format and has anyone involved with Stargate considered trying something different for a change and think outside the box when it comes to presentation? Or is this something in the contract with Sci-Fi that you must deliever an episode in the normal format?

Have you ever thought of writing an episode of SGA that plays out in real time like the show 24 does, since as far as I know, this has only been tried a few times in Sci-Fi, like Babylon 5's Intersections in Real Time?

WDWPolyGirl said...

When do you think you will let the public know who will be full-time characters next season?