My visiting two year old niece is afraid of me. You can see it in her eyes when she comes bounding down the stairs and then spots me and freezes. Those eyes say: “Holy Shit! It’s that crazy guy who talks to dogs!”. I suppose in a way I can be kind of scary. I can be overly enthusiastic about chocolate, I do talk to my dogs, and I am prone to rageful outbursts whenever the Raiders turn the ball over or when I sit down to watch what I expect will be a new episode of Survivor only to discover it’s a damn clip show! Still, in this wonderfully antiseptic politically correct world, my sister-in-law refuses to say her daughter is afraid. Rather, she is shy. And so, whenever she refers to Alexa’s reticence to have anything to do with me, she simply switches out the word “afraid” for “shy” as in “She’s shy of you.” Shy OF you? Come on. That doesn’t even make sense.
I suppose the average person (ie. a human being) would be hurt or annoyed, but I consider it a blessing of sorts. In the words of history’s greatest parental advisor, Niccolo Machiavelli: “It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both.” (because, as Machiavelli would have pointed out, there’s no avoiding a kid who desires your attention - as the weary couple seated behind us at dinner last night proved).
Speaking of fine literature - with the holidays almost upon us, I figure I’d get an early jump on the next Joe’s Book of the Month Club selections.
The candidates in the so-far-underperforming fantasy category:
The Crooked Letter by Sean Williams. According to the book jacket: “When Seth and Hadrian Castillo travel to Europe on holiday, they don’t expect the end of the world to follow them. But Seth and Hadrian are mirror twins, identical in every respect but reversed as though looking in a mirror. When Seth is stabbed in front of Hadrian, Hadrian is thrust into a nightmarish cityscape filled with corpses and monsters, and into a reality more secret and strange than nay he could have imagined.”
VS
The Princess Bride by William Goldman. According to the back of the book: “Wesley, the handsome farm boy who risks death (and much worse) for the woman he loves; Inigo, the Spanish swordsman who lives only to avenge his father’s death; Frezzik, the gentlest giant ever to have uprooted a tree with his bare hands; Vizzini, the evil Sicilian, with a mind so keen he’s foiled by his own perfect logic; Prince Humperdinck, the evil ruler of Florin, who has an equally insatiable thirst for war and the beauteous Buttercup; Count Rugen, the evilest man of all, who thrives on the excruciating pain of others; Miracle Max, the King’s ex-Miracle Man, who can raise the dead (kind of); and, of course, Buttercup…the princess bridge, the most perfect, beautiful woman in the history of the world!”
The candidates in the scifi category:
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank. According to The New Yorker: “Alas, Babylon. Those fateful worlds heralded the end. When a nuclear holocaust ravages the United States, a thousand years of civilization are stripped away overnight, and tens of millions of people are killed instantly. But for one small town in Florida, miraculously spared, the struggle is just beginning, as men and women of all backgrounds join together to confront the darkness.”
VS
The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. According to the back of the book: “When Henry meets Clare, he is twenty-eight and she is twenty. Henry has never met Clare before; Clare has known Henry since she was six. Impossible, but true, because Henry finds himself periodically displaced in time, pulled to moments of emotional gravity from his life, past and future. Henry and Clare’s attempts to live normal lives are threatened by a force they can neither prevent nor control…”
Voting commences….NOW!…and ends Wednesday at midnight. Because of the holidays, I’ll move the discussion to the beginning of January so that everyone can have time to finish the books. Meanwhile, discussion on this month’s selections (The Gunslinger and The White Plague) begin tomorrow.
Today’s mailbag -
Elizabeth writes: “1) Have you ever seen the movie One Night With The King (it's about Queen Esther)? 2) Have you ever been to Disneyland? 3) Which movie are you looking forward to more, Stargate: The Ark Of Truth or Stargate: Continuum?”
Answers: 1) I haven’t. 2) I haven’t. 3) Neither as I’ve already seen both.
Anonymous #1 writes: “ Joe- you went off on me a couple days ago (the 19th) for calling you a liar and not citing my sources when clearly you know what I was talking about. As you said so yourself: The first time I answered this question way back when, I said that Torri’s 4 episodes would be in the first half of the season. This is no longer the case..”
Answer: At the time I answered the question, the appearance was in the front half and so, I was not lying when I answered. But the fact that the appearance was moved to the back half suddenly makes me a liar? A wonderful example of why I grow increasingly reticent to answer specific fan questions.
Anonymous #1 also writes: “I would like the to know the title of Torri’s fourth episode in the back half of season four…”
Answer: Feel free to ask as often as you like. I’m not answering the question.
Anonymous #2 writes: “Does that mean that Rachel will miss a couple of the first episodes for Season 5?”
Answer: Nope.
Ambermoon writes: “Have you ever traveled to Okinawa and enjoyed their culinary delights?”
Answer: Fondy and I had considered going to Okinawa this year, but had to cancel our holiday plans when Fondy kick-started her new business. We did, however, enjoy something called an Okinawa Roll at Yuji’s last month. What made it Okinawan? The inclusion of spam. Tasty!
Alipeeps writes: “So Joe... what's your thoughts on the latest season of House so far?”
Answer: I’m a couple of episodes behind but, so far, I feel that this is the strongest season the show has ever done. I’m loving the changes.
Demon Hunter writes: “What does the Q stand for in Martin Q Gero?”
Answer: My guesses - Quibbly, Quirky, Querulous.
Leesa Perrie writes: “So, what happens in 'The Last Man' to make McKay so old?!”
Answer: He was waiting for me to tell him the title of Weir’s fourth episode.
Anonymous #3 writes: “Oh, right I get it now. There's oil in the Pegasus Galaxy, isn't there? So who cares if a few native "primitives" get killed if the mighty US military gets the goodies it believes it's entitled too.”
Answer: Uh, what show are YOU watching? What “oil”? And what “primitives”? The poor, misunderstood wraith? You’re looking mighty silly trying to force a parallel that isn’t there.
Katheen writes: “Hi Joe - have you eaten in any of the restaurants in Tokyo that the Guide Michelin just honored with three stars?”
Answer: I haven’t - but fully intend to on my next culinary tour through Asia (Fall of ‘08).
Carolina writes: “I'm also a great sushi fan and I go to my sushi restaurant once or twice a week, my favorite rolls are those that have a crunchy texture…[…]. So what do you like in your rolls? what is the must ingredient.”
Answer: Tojo’s here in Vancouver does a fantastic spider roll with a thin cucumber wrap (instead of the usual nori). As for my must ingredient: avocado.
Cathie writes: “Do you like yum cha?”
Answer: Love it. We got to Sea Harbour Seafood Restaurant when we want to order from the menu, Sun Sui Wah on Main when we went to pick and choose from the passing carts.
Sunday, November 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

143 comments:
Voting for your reading club.. I'd have to go with he Crooked Letter by Sean Williams that sound very interesting. I've read the Princess Bride after I saw the movie. Love the movie. :)
And Sci Fi... The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. It would give me a great reason to finally read the book. I'm told it is a wonderful story.
LOL.. you scaring your niece. What do you do? Say "boo"?
I'd definitely give my vote to Time Travellers Wife and Princess Bride; both great books that I've read more than once.
Answer: I’m a couple of episodes behind but, so far, I feel that this is the strongest season the show has ever done. I’m loving the changes.
Me too. Interestingly enough, from what I've seen from dipping my toe into the online fandom for House, there's a lot of rage and angst going on over there about the changes to the show and what's happening with the cast etc. I guess fandom is fandom wherever you go.
I personally really feel like the show is back on form after a Season 3 that was likeable enough but really didn't hook me the way previous seasons had. I'm enjoying the changes they've made and much of the banter etc and snarking seems to have regained the lighter edge that seemed - to me - to be missing a bit in Season 3.
Answer: He was waiting for me to tell him the title of Weir’s fourth episode.
Oh, nice! I laughed out loud at that one. Now, I'm off to the Shanghai Dumpling House - our boss is treating us to a post-election celebratory lunch of dumplings. Mmmmm, dumplings.
I'm gonna go with Alas, Babylon. I really like holocaust books. Just finished "I Am Legend" and was a little disappointed that it was a short story, as the whole outer advertising is just for that one story. I enjoyed the story though, so will read the rest.
Did you like The Gunslinger? I read it years ago. I haven't particpated yet in the book club, no time. But am keeping a list of the books and bought a couple.
My fav Stephen King are "The Mist" short story, which I always thought would make a great movie and "The Stand" disaster/holocaust. Love also "Swan's Song" by Robert McCameron for a disaster book, or good vs evil.
I just have to say you really do have some patience for those people who keep hammering you with the same questions over and over. It really is just irritating.
Who's office is the video game in? And why does it seem like you all hang out in the hallways so much?? (Dog races, shredding of menus, etc...)
As for commentaries. I like hearing the actors, but I really like hearing the behind the scenes people too. I think it's best when there is an actor and some behind the scenes people, cuz you get all the perspectives. Honestly I buy the DVD's just for the commentaries.
Well... I gotta go with The Princess Bride on the fantasy side. It's one of those books/ movies constantly referred to in fandom, and I've never read it or seen the entire movie.
I'll go with Alas, Babylon on the scifi side. I've been on a bit of a post-apocalyptic bender lately... one more couldn't hurt.
Also, having a face that frightens small children is a great way to get out of babysitting.
What are your thoughts on curries? If a waitperson asks if you want hot peppers, do you take Jalapenos, Habaneros, (other), or none?
In regards to yesterdays post (which I must have missed somehow), have you ever had any funny line moments in scripts written by you and Paul Mullie? If so, would you care to share one? Please?
Hi Joe,
Question:
I have been heard that there is a new wild fire in Malibu, do you know if it is any where near Joe's and Jason's homes?
*Uh, what show are YOU watching? What “oil”? And what “primitives”? The poor, misunderstood wraith? You’re looking mighty silly trying to force a parallel that isn’t there.*
I think by primitives the person meant Teylas people, even so it's a strange comment to make
Sure their is oil in peggy galaxy, as Oil is a natural resource that would form in most or few planets, all things depending, like how black holes are producing(well.. found near) gems etc that are found on earth in the modern day era
and Lol 2 year old niece
i have a niece around about the same age, we often worry about her walking upstairs on her own, because at age 2 there is always the danger of the child falling, which wouldnt be a pretty sight
of course, as always a lot of kids are spoilt ugh.. i hate that behavior
Have you ever read "Clay" by David Almond? Its a very good book, a bit dark though. Also a bit cooky. If you're into that kind of stuff, I recommend it. Well, also, be warned, its kind church-y, so you may not like it. I'm Jewish, and I've enjoyed it so far, so, yeah.
Ummm, by the way, you never answered my question about the thing I said that might be going on with the vision Carter saw. Was I correct in assuming I was correct and you wouldn't answer? Or what? Are you even going to answer this?
Do your dogs eat run-of-the-mill dog food from the grocery store or do you cook for them yourself?
Do you hate my questions? Most of them never get answered. Do you hate me?
Joe, have you ever read any of Max Brooks Zombie books? I have a friend who is convinced a zombie attack will someday happen and she insisted I read the Zombie Survial Guide while we were in Moscow this summer. It makes for some fun reading! I am about to read World War Z now that the semester is coming to an end, should make for an interesting read!
After reading your Dec. 26,2006 posting I'm suprised your sister in law allows your niece to be around you. May I take your "games" and pass them along this holiday season? With proper attritubtion of course...
I'd like to vote for Princess Bride and Alas Bablyon for the upcoming month's selections.
Fortunately for my computer, I wasnt drinking anything when I read your comment about why McKay is so old in Last Man. It makes for an interesting challenge to decide what questions to ask you and in what form to phrase them, in order to have a chance to get a response that actually provides the information sought. Though even the non answers are worth reading for the entertainment value. At any rate, looking forward to the upcoming week's posts.
My seven year old niece gets her own back on me for being horrible to her by embarrassing me in public.
I recently took her to the Tate Gallery hoping to instil a little culture in her sponge like brain.
Rodin’s the Kiss was on show. I extolled the beauty of the symmetry, pointed out the chiselled lines of the master craftsman.
She walked around it, considered it carefully then shouted at the top of her little voice
“I’ve seen my mum and dad do that, eeeuuuwww. That’s disgusting!”
The next time we went out I took her somewhere safer, Mac Donald’s.
Oh and as it’s the 26th of November it is officially, in England anyway, my birthday.
So tomorrow I am off duty and will spend the day watching SG1 and SGA dvd’s.
And as I blow out the candles on my cake I will wish for…like I’m going to tell you lot.
Pauline
I vote for The Crooked Letter as I have seen The Princess Bride movie. If they will be made into a movie, I do like to read the books first and then see the movie. I'm not sure if I would like to do the reverse....guess I will if it gets voted that way.
And I plan on reading The Time Traveler's Wife so I vote for that one too. David Hewlett read and recommended it.
Kimberly
voting for The Time Traveler's Wife - it's worth a second read.
I vote for "The Princess Bride" and "Alas, Babylon," mostly because I haven't read the other two. But those are both classics, and I enjoyed them a lot.
I'd also recommend Lois McMaster Bujold's books "Barrayar" (for the SF selection) and "The Curse of Chalion" for fantasy.
A couple questions I keep asking...and I guess I will have to keep asking as you don't seem very inclined to answer them. ;~P
Why do the Wraith have sharp teeth as they (and Iratus bugs) don't chew food to eat?
Can Wraith feed on animals instead of humans?
Thanks in advance,
(in case you actually answer, hehehe)
Kimberly
Gracey said...
"I just have to say you really do have some patience for those people who keep hammering you with the same questions over and over. It really is just irritating."
Ouch! I guess I am one of the irritating ones repeating my questions. *big sigh*
Oh well! Squeaky wheel and all that! :~P
Irritating as a burr in your britches,
Kimberly
Regarding yesterday's tee-shirt, I'd like to respond with: All Your Base Are Belong to Us. Seems fitting.
I vote for Time Travelers Wife, as I'm already reading it and might have a chance of finishing on time with all you fast readers.
This past week, did all the actor deals that you wanted completed get completed?
I'll have to go with "The Crooked Letter" in the fantasy category and "Babylon in the scifi one.
First Thucydides now Machiavelli. Are you trying to give me subtle hints that I should be reading my history homework and not your blog? :)
Do you think the Patriots will go 16-0 this season? I hate to admit it, but I have a sad feeling they might.
Hey Joe,
Voting for "Alas, Babylon" here. Re: your niece. My husband has the same problem. However he tends to not shave for days so when we see our neice he always looks different. I think she probably just thinks he's a different guy each time. So that being said, my advice is not to keep wearing those fake groucho glasses each time you see her. It should help.
i would have to vote for The Time Travellers Wife - I have read it, loved it, wept copious amounts of tears and would love to read your opinions about it.
and The Princess Bride - I only watched the movie for the first time about a month ago. With all the references made to it in SGA lately (well season 2 or 3 anyway) I wanted to watch it to "get" the jokes. I loved the movie so it would be interesting to compare the book to the movie - just to see how true they stayed or how completely they stuffed up the original story.
and with regards to scaring kids - as someone who has the ability to make a kid cry just by looking at them, I say Well done you! and I talk to my dogs too...
Cheers!
Tru
Avocados ARE a must! Did you know that eating avocados regularly can significantly decrease total cholesterol? ...Amongst other things. They're a total package fruit. YUM.
Okay Okay, so as much as I hate being serious, I have to say this:
It's a real bummer people have to bring their drama into your blog. I think you're very patient with a lot of the incessant and repetitive questions you get.
Honestly, I wouldn't bother reading your blog if I really thought you a stuck up holier-than-thou jerk.
Don't forget though. Eat lots of Avocados.
Joe,
I heard that The Time Traveler's Wife is a great read. I might even read it myself "usually not a big reader".
What is your favourite food to eat from yum cha? I love the BBQ pork buns, dumplings, sticky rice & a few others. I even had yum cha in Singapore & Kuala Lumpur. I would have dumplings every morning when i was there.
Your scaring your niece. Just give her a couple of years & she will think your great!
I hope you have a great christmas &
a awesome new year.
Take Care & happiness always!
Cathie
The Princess Bride by Goldman is a wonderful book - I've read and re-read it I don't know how many times. Shortly after I was married, I forced (yes, FORCED) my hubby to read it. He does like to read, just not SciFi. DEFINATELY not SciFi. He absolutely loved it - was laughing out loud through most of it, actually. So, Joe, my vote is for - you guessed it - The Princess Bride. BTW, the book is MUCH better than the movie.
My favorite saying is....don't let the movie spoil the book!
The Princess Bride! I own the book, and I think I've read it about 28 times. I read it 12 times before discovering there was a movie, and was suprisingly satisfied with the movie, considering that I normally hate movie versions of books.
As a new fan of both Stargate and this blog, I have a very perplexing question: How do you deal with the language barrier on the show? Strangely, the inhabitants of every world I've seen so far speak fluent English. Have I just not watched enough episodes, or do you guys ignore this entirely? Thanks, and keep writing the blog!
time travelers wife and princess bride
I vote for Princess Bride and Babylon. I have always wanted to read the Princess Bride and this would give me a good reason to do so. As for Babylon, I have never heard of it, but it sounds very interesting.
Hi Joe -
Recently you made a comment about a Teal'c/Ronon set-to (I think it was regarding "Midway"). I couldn't help but wonder - - Teal'c is approx. 100 years older than Ronon since the events in the SG1 series finale. So ... is the age difference acknowledged before or after Teal'c whups Ronon's butt? (or is this just wishful thinking on my part?
shy of is pretty old. my gramma always said i was shy of strangers, and that was in the 60s
princess bride! but have you been typing your work address a lot lately or soemthing?
i have not read either of the sf books but time travellers wife sounds AWFLY interesting so i vote for that.
When I was really little, I was afraid of my dad's best friend (he's basically like an uncle to me). I couldn't tell you why I was afraid... oh, I mean SHY *cough*... but I do remember it. I guess that kind of thing just happens sometimes. Oh, and in case you're wondering, I'm not afraid of him anymore. lol
Hi Joe:
I think I'd like to read Alas Babylon, so that would be my vote. I'm not a fantasy reader, so I'll pass on the other book.
I was just thinking about your fondness for House, and then comparing that character to McKay. While we are at it, you have a bit of the snark in you as well, at least in your blogs... Is there a connection, Joe? Did you create Rodney? If not, is he based on you?
Patricia
I vote for The Time Traveler's Wife and The Princess Bride.
Thanks!
I'm voting for Alas Babylon and The Princess Bride. I haven't read either of them before but I've seen The Princess Bride movie. I didn't like it very much, so it would be interesting to see if the book is any better.
Thank you so much for answering my questions. You should watch 'One Night With The King', it's really good. You've already seen both of the movies! Lucky you. Everyone else has to wait till they come out on DVD (which totally sucks, it's taking forever).
"Anonymous #1 also writes: “I would like the to know the title of Torri’s fourth episode in the back half of season four…”
Answer: Feel free to ask as often as you like. I’m not answering the question.
Leesa Perrie writes: “So, what happens in 'The Last Man' to make McKay so old?!”
Answer: He was waiting for me to tell him the title of Weir’s fourth episode."
Haha, that's funny. You really are never going to answer that question, are you? So that's how McKay got so old. Personally I thought it was a lab experiment gone wrong ('You were suppose to hit that button!' 'I did hit that button!' 'Not that button, THAT button!' 'Oh, sorry.').
Don't clip shows totally blow? I hate how they advertised it as including "never before seen footage" when they show like 2 minutes of new footage. Although I gotta be honest, I didn't watch the whole thing. Clip show. Boring.
So, who's your favorite/least favorite survivor person thus far this season? Do you have any bets as to who will be this year's Ultimate Survivor?
I'm not voting in the Fantasy category since I'm generally not a fantasy fan and won't read whichever one is chosen, but I would like to say that The Princess Bride is AWESOME. I read it a while ago so my memory may fail me here, but I remember thinking that the movie was VERY faithful to the book. Probably more so than any other book-to-movie I've seen.
In the sci-fi category I'll cast my vote for Alas, Babylon.
Question: If I ask a question and you don't answer it, should I periodically keep asking? Or if it's not answered should I just throw it out as a "Mallozzi isn't interested/already answered sometime in the past so don't ask it again" question?
Thanks!
I have to go with the Princess Bride and the Time Travelers Wife XD I havent read either, but they both sound interesting!
Joe,
It's good to read that Rachel will be back with the rest for Season5. Thank you!
Joe, is this true?
From Ign review of Seer - "On a good note, we attended the Stargate Atlantis convention this weekend in Burbank, CA and Joe Flanigan (Col. John Sheppard), let us in on a little secret (not a spoiler), Jill Wagner (aka Larrin from the episode "Travelers") will being reprising her character in the season four finale."
http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/836/836236p1.html
Will Larrin appear in The Last Man?
Thanks again, Joe.
Please send my best wishes to Rachel.
Camy
Crooked Letter and The Princess Bride...
all little kids are shy/afraid. it's a phase. And did you know SciFi was cruel and teased us with "Miller's Crossing" and made us all think it was coming on Friday when in fact it doesn't air to next week. Ruined my weekend...
laynie in arizona
I enjoyed The Time Traveler's Wife, but I think it vanished in the Book Mountain behind Bucky's chair where I won't get the chance to reread it anytime soon. Recommended. And of course The Princess Bride!
The White Plague? I read that ages ago I think ... quite good. Discuss? Are you kidding? I'm lucky to be able to remember that I read it at all. I've not been kind to the grey matter.
I'd definitly have to say Princess Bride and the Time Travelers Wife.
Well, since it has been on my "to be read" list, I'll cast a vote to The Princess Bride.
Maybe your niece just has those standard child powers to see beyond the outside and see your true inner super villain?
Princess Bride
Alas Babylon
my votes for the BOTM
Joe,
Grrrr on the Survivor clip show - I was so mad! Almost as mad as i was that I didn't get a new SGA Friday night, LOL!
I'll go with Time Traveller's wife and Princess Bride on the books. I got through Gunslinger this month, and look forward to the discussion, but never did track down White Plague.
WB
Hey Joe
Long time reader first time poster!
Just wanted to say you should try using your over-enthusiasm of chocolate as a way to get your niece to like you! I found long ago that a copious amount of chocolate is always the quickest way to my nephews’ hearts!
The best part is even if it makes them hyper at the end of the day you can give them back to their parents and they still like you!! (Yes I am aware that Karma is coming back to bite me should I ever become a mother myself)
In terms of the reading club I was going to vote for 'The Time Travellers Wife', so I could read it for about the 25th time. However Alas, Babylon sounds quite good too, and I always love reading new books so put my vote down for that one!!
Finally thanks for your fantastic blog! It is always a fantastic way to distract myself when I’m supposed to be working!
Joe,
I have to agree with gracey, you are unbelievably patient with all of us nagging at you.
I'd like to vote for The Crooked Letter and Alas, Babylon. I've read The Time Traveler's Wife and while it is extraordinarily good, it's not quite sci-fi; I think of it more as a drama. With a fair amount of romance thrown in, for good measure.
As for your niece, maybe she just needs time to adjust to your overwhelming, yet masculine beauty.
LOL!
:D Skip
Hey Joe,
How about them Browns. I was at the game today and it was great to see them winning again isn't it.
nihon-ni itta koto-ga arunode, nihongo-wo benkoushite wakarimasuka.
Is there somewhere in Japan that you haven't been that you are particularly interested in visiting? If so, why?
Also, in the sci-fi category, I've read both those books, and you really can't go wrong with either choice. So, enjoy!
I'm going to vote for The Time Traveler's Wife, I feel like I've heard good things about it before, and the concept is pretty cool.
"Anonymous #1 also writes: “I would like the to know the title of Torri’s fourth episode in the back half of season four…”
Answer: Feel free to ask as often as you like. I’m not answering the question."
Good for you.
I have a question for anonymous: Why is it so all-fired important to know the *title* of an ep you won't see for a good bit? And from a show you obviously no longer enjoy?
And to the "SGA is a parallel for the Iraqi War and the US's role in international politics" person:
Last I saw Sam wasn't willing to leave the humans of the Pegasus Galaxy to fend for themselves. (Oddly enough she was the same way on SG-1.) IOA be damned. (Yes yes, Shep too.)
Also: Joe is *Canadian*. Seems he most definitely wouldn't be the person to be spouting you opinions about the USA at.
The US nosed in on WWII also. (A bit late and a bit too unwillingly, I'd say.) Did we "violate the rights" of the Germans to commit *genocide* to Jews and other "undesirables"?? Should we have just stayed isolationist? (Yeah, I know I'm ignoring the Pacific War and our real reasons for getting involved.)
The Wraith and the Replicators are mass murderers. The Replicators are trying to commit genocide. And the Wraith want to get to our planet gorge on *us*. How is that sticking out nose into a situation that doesn't involve us? Both do.
Joe, do you like fruitcake? Must it make you high when you sniff it?
suse
Bugger me peoples, who CARES what episode Weir is gonna be in... it's coming, be bloody patient! Don't you like surprises???
Ever been to Australia Joe? If so, what native foods have you tried?
If not, hop to it (groan) and try some roo.
Can't wait for the next ep.. *taps fingers*
book club votes have to go to The Princess Bride, and The Time Traveler's wife.
I was really surprised to see Alas, Babylon on the list. I read it back in high school (seems like ages ago, but wasn't really), and really enjoyed it. The Time Traveler's Wife sounds really interesting as well.
oh! i almost forgot i am supposed to ask you on behalf of my wonderful best friend tiffany.
What kind of watch is it that all the cast seems to have(you know the big kinda bulky yet awesomely cool one that we see on shep and mckay) and where can she get one?
Hi, Joe.
Voting for the reading club as well. "The Princess Bride!" Delightful book, terrific movie. TPB is on my top ten book list (To Kill a Mockingbird, The Dead Zone, The Princess Bride, Shogun, The Lord of the Rings, Dune, The Tales of Narnia, The Tales of Prydain, Ishmael [Star Trek Pro Novel]).
And THANK YOU for the laugh, guffaw, and giggle to the response you gave anonymous on the fourth Torri Higginson episode.
(Some fans would complain if you hung them with a new rope.)
Best wishes, Morjana
Hi to Lulu!
1)If your favourite T.V Star came to the door, and asked to do a special apperance on the show, would you say yes?
2)if so, who would that person be?
Answer: Uh, what show are YOU watching? What “oil”? And what “primitives”? The poor, misunderstood wraith? You’re looking mighty silly trying to force a parallel that isn’t there.
Actually I was talking about the collateral damage suffered by your (increasingly tedious) planet of the week "primitives" who seem to be hoovered up at an alarming rate by the Wraith. The Wraith that were awakened in great numbers by ignorant, blundering invaders from another galaxy who just because Atlantis has something they want seem to think they have a right to a) take it b) hold it all costs c) continue to disrupt the balance of a galaxy they still know little about. So yes, I'm seeing parallels here. Especially when you consider how many times SG1 were ordered to not get involved unless there was something in it for the US military.
I'm also seeing why, when the show has become unashamedly about just that, a character like Elizabeth Weir (or heaven forbid, Daniel Jackson) who would reasonably be expected to voice concerns about single minded military acquisitiveness would be persona non gratis in the brave new SGA. Much better to have good little military drone Carter who will follow orders no matter how repugnant, especially if "sir" asks her nicely.
My vote goes to The Crooked Letter and Alas, Babylon.
So Joe do you have a favorite pick for the Heisman?
Firstly.. wrong - This Mortal Coil (not BAMSR) is the episode we know Weir is in (and where it does look like she plays a significant role).
Whatever. My waning interest in the show means I'm not keeping track all that much of which episode is which.
So my point was, if you - general you - want to have a go at Joe for not revealing the identity of the 4th Weir episode, then by default you are also attacking Torri for equally witholding such information.
And my point, if you'd actually bothered to read my post instead of just jumping into prove your Stargate Atlantis Trivia superiority is that, whichever episode it is, it's probably not worth worrying too much about, nor investing too much anticipation in because from Torri's own statement she's not really in it much.
Personally, I'm more hoping once the writers strike is over Torri will be called back to reprise her role on NCIS. She had a delightful chemistry with David McCallum and her character seemed like she would be an interesting addition to the show. I'd rather not see Elizabeth retro-fitted to comply with Joe's new vision of a more military SGA universe.
Sorry to all the Weir fans, but most of the reviews lately, from Syfy Portal to IGN, all bemoan the lack of Sam Carter, not her addition. It seems everyone out there DID want Sam to come in and take over the show. Any response to the criticism that Sam hasn't really been allowed to be Sam on Atlantis, Joe? That she's just Carter saying Weir's lines? Everyone (myself included) was hoping that Sam's addition meant that the writing would change. It hasn't. There's just a different person saying the same lines.
Frustrated with Wasting Carter
My book club votes would be Alas, Babylon and The Princess Bride. It's been so long since I read Alas, Bablyon that the only thing I really remember is that I liked it.
The Princess Bride is a wonderful book. I love both the movie and the book, but I have to say that while the movie was indeed faithful to the book, it was at the same time an almost completely different story. Well, for me, anyway.
To morjana: Ishmael is one of my favorite Star Trek books ever. Apart from the fact that I happen to be a big fan of Barbara Hambly and almost always enjoy her writing, I loved her story and ideas. Not to mention the fun of all the geeky science fiction cameos. :)
1)have you ever watched the Stick Figures On Crack series on youtube?
the first one is found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iNjQhrCKAI
Would you ever consider writing a book?
Hi Joe
"Irresponsible" is on the DVD I expect to arrive today (Monday) (UK release). Any thoughts before I watch it?
All the best
Pam
The Princess Bride! A thousand times yes! :)
Oh dear, you've made the latter a very hard choice... but I think I'll have to go with Alas, Babylon... merely because I love armageddon-esque plots and also because I am likely to read Time Traveller's Wife at some point in the future on my own steam... I enjoy the fact that the book club introduces me to titles that I might never have found otherwise...
This may be rather a daft question, but I was just wondering whether, before Rachel's pregnancy, anyone had suggested the idea of introducing a child into the Atlantis storyline and how?
Mary
I agree with you how S4 of House is pretty on form. I jumped in late S2 and have been hooked ever since, but i am desperately missing Chase and Cameron. Those two have been woefully underused getting a line or two per ep.
You should have a cameo.
I'd vote for The Princess Bride and the Time Traveller's Wife. I haven't read the book but it is my favourite movie!! The time travel book's description has me hooked already...I can't resist time traveling stories (good thing I like sci-fi!)
One of the reasons I can't wait to have children is that it would be so much fun to mess with their minds! My plan is to give them a better-than-average present on their birthday for every year their age is a prime number. Composite numbers...well they just get an average present. Then when they turn 19 they will be quizzed and if they can figure out my pattern... I'd be so proud haha.
joe, quand vous dite:
Answer: He was waiting for me to tell him the title of Weir’s fourth episode."
cela pourrais signifier que weir sera dans le dernier épisode de la saison???
Gracey said...
My fav Stephen King are "The Mist" short story, which I always thought would make a great movie
Oooh, is that the one that's in the book of short stories "The Skeleton Crew"? I loved that story.. read the book years ago and it's the one story that's stayed with me.
Glad to read that there's going to be a blooper reel on Season 4 DVD..but can we please...pleeeeeeeease have some of the cast in the commentaries?
There's so much enjoyment sitting down with a coffee watching the cast join in with the jokes and interesting tidbits (after I've seen the ep of course). It was much missed in the Season 3 dvd set.
BOTM votes:
The Princess Bride, because I already own it and won't spend three weeks waiting for amazon to deliver it!
And Alas, Babylon, so I have at least one new book of the month to read. :-)
Have you read The Swarm, by Frank Schatzing? Techno/eco-thriller which, I think, is well worth the read.
"I am prone to rageful outbursts whenever the Raiders turn the ball over...."
Raider turnovers are a direct result of me sticking pins in my Al Davis voodoo doll. They were on their way to the Super Bowl under Jon Gruden; I'm certain of it. Pity....
Hi, I know I don't comment much, but I still read this blog regularly.
Anyway, I hope you don't mind me putting in a vote:
The Crooked Letter by Sean Williams
and
The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.
Just a bit of trivia, Sean Williams loves Stargate - I've worked with him at the SA WORD festival, and I hope you don't mind if I send him to check out your blog!
"Ever been to Australia Joe? If so, what native foods have you tried? "
@Annie:
Quotes Rove McManus "How about those Aussie Garlic Curley Fries" lol What a joke!
My votes are for The Crooked Letter and Alas, Babylon.
I now see what the city ship accompanied by desertous planes was for.(i.e. Llast Man) Have you had a chance to look at the pre-vfx or the finished vfx of Atlantis?
Is Torri not in BAMSR? I would have thought you would have her in for both episodes, in the mid-season 2 parter. No? My other guess is Spoils of War? Is this the 750,000?
For reading i vote for The crooked letter and the time travelers wife. Ive read the later and it is a treat.
Oh, The Princess Bride must be enjoyed by those who have yet to read it. And I enjoyed The Time Traveler's Wife, but I am prone to bouts of being maudlin and overly sentimental.
As for your niece? I totally don't blame her. Yours is not a spotless track record when it comes to tormenting kids.
I have just started 'The Time Traveler's Wife' and its good so far!!
I vote for that one.
As for the other books, I'll have to go with 'The Princess Bride'
NZJ
I would have to vote for The Princess Bride - a truly awesome book. Thank you for mentioning it actually, I have just remembered that I have a copy of it somewhere in my house.
Also a question; what do you to think is better? Go to uni and do a science degree OR go to uni and do a degree in Antarctic science.
Or continue to save up money and travel?
Love the new direction of the show, and season four has brought me back as a fan. I lost interest after season 2 as I found most of the season very MEH. Season four is much more exciting and grittier and I am now eagerly awaiting each new episode. The changes, especially the new leadership is a lot better, sorry I found Weir's character boring and annoying.
So just like to say thanks Joe for the new and exciting SGA and I hope we get many more seasons.
Hi Joe,
I don't normally vote for the books because I wouldn't have time to read them, but I have to put a vote in today for The Princess Bride! I adore the film, and it's in that big pile of books waiting for me to finish college so I have time to read them!
On the scifi books I vote for The Time Traveler’s Wife.
LOL, your poor niece! You could try playing cards with her - my grandad was teaching my little cousins poker last night, and they were loving it...mind you that's cos they were winning.... ;)
Hi, Joe.
How's your eye doing? You haven't mentioned lately, so I'm hoping that the eye healed nicely.
Well, here's a nice note: "Miller's Crossing" is on Entertainment Weekly's list for a Tonight's Best on Nov. 30! Woo-hoo!
From Entertainment Weekly Online:
http://www.ew.com/ew/tv/tonights_best_tv/0,,5,00.html
Friday Nov 30
10-11PM Sci Fi, TV-PG
Stargate: Atlantis
Steven Culp (Desperate Housewives) plays a mad scientist. Actually,
he's pretty cool on the science, mad re: everything else.
Best wishes, Morjana
As I have read the multitude of Weir posts I have reached the conclusion that they have been following a well know pattern know as the the Kübler-Ross model.
This model describes, in five discrete stages, the process by which people deal with grief.
Various posters are at different stages sometimes even in the same post.
As a guide for you while reading the Weir posts, I have listed the stages and an example for each below. I think you will find it interesting to reread the posts with this guide in mind.
1. Denial: It can't be happening. Joe would never replace the Weir character
2. Anger: Why Weir? It's not fair! She is the perfect actress playing the perfect character
3. Bargaining: Sam doesn't have to go just add Weir back in some other capacity
4. Depression: I'm so sad, I will never watch Atlantis again
5. Acceptance: It's going to be OK. The changes aren't as bad as I thought they would be
Have to say, I get as much of a kick reading all the comments as the blog itself. You must wonder at times if there are actually intelligent people in the fandom. *shakes head* Kudos, as others have said, for your patience in dealing with the impolite so that the rest of the world can continue to enjoy the blog (and the show).
Amused with all the votes for The Princess Bride. Would give me an excuse to pick up the special edition that's out now, that includes the book in the package, I do believe. ;)
Perhaps this has already been asked, but I was just wondering. When you guys write an episode, do you write it already IN script form, or do you have to take the time to adapt what you've written INTO script form? Assuming it has to be adapted, how long does that part of the process normally take?
Having already read the The Time Traveler's Wife and loved it, I vote for Alas, Babylon and The Crooked Letter. Mind you, I will most likely read all of them again...if time permits...I need more hours in the day.
You answered a question from me (dances on air for several minutes) and now I know how McKay gets so old!!
Thanks for making a mad (or should that be sad?) fan very happy!
Keep on blogging...
Leesa Perrie writes: “So, what happens in 'The Last Man' to make McKay so old?!”
Answer: He was waiting for me to tell him the title of Weir’s fourth episode.
LOL!!! And THIS is why I read your blog!!!
Hey, "Anonymous #3", stop talking, I'm trying to enjoy the blog! (Note to Mr. Mallozzi: Please don't feed the trolls. They're annoying.)
My vote is going for Time Traveller's Wife and the Princess Bride. Bride was a great movie; I've heard about the Time Traveller's Wife yet never seen a review of it.
Interesting to read books! :)
I have some related questions about Stargate Atlantis and books:
In "Home" episode quote:
Sheppard: Come in.
Weir: Hi. Do you have a moment?
Sheppard: Yeah, sure.
Weir: War and Peace? Ah, that's some heavy reading.
Sheppard: Yeah, well, back on Earth, when I was getting ready for this mission, I realized there was a good chance I might be here for a while. So, I figured, why not bring along a book that takes a while to read?
Weir: Page 17?
Of whom it was the idea that Mr. Sheppard read it? Is it possible we can know, what page of "War and peace" is he reading now?
In "The return" quote:
Weir: Life isn't fair. It's just fairer than death.
Sheppard: Oscar Wilde?
Sheppard: Princess Bride. Good movie.
Of whom it was the idea to include Oscar Wilde and the Princes Bride in this quote?
Have you read some Oscar Wilde's book?
Hey Joe,
I really loved the introduction of Carter this season. I think her true leadership skills shined when she told Woosley to shut up. Oh, O'neill would be proud. Will there be any conflict with Carter and Sheppard this season or anyone else? I know Sheppard is not always keen on orders. Also, will Carter have any episodes where she will be in a lab or computer terminal trying to solve a problem with Mckay or someone else like in her old SG-1 days?
Thanks!
Squall78
Mmm, all that talk of sushi is making me want some. Unfortunately, I'm out of town, so I'll have to wait to visit my favorite place when I get back to NY...
As for the book club, I vote for Princess Bride and the Time Traveler's Wife!
"Squall78 said...
Hey Joe,
I really loved the introduction of Carter this season. I think her true leadership skills shined when she told Woosley to shut up. Oh, O'neill would be proud. Will there be any conflict with Carter and Sheppard this season or anyone else? I know Sheppard is not always keen on orders. Also, will Carter have any episodes where she will be in a lab or computer terminal trying to solve a problem with Mckay or someone else like in her old SG-1 days? "
Salut Joe,
Je me suis posée les mêmes questions à propos de Carter.
1) Est-ce que son côté scientifique sera mis en avant dans un épisode futur?
2) Aura-t-elle un conflit avec l'un des membres de l'expédition (Shep, Ronon, Mc kay, etc.)?
Leesa Perrie writes: “So, what happens in 'The Last Man' to make McKay so old?!”
Answer: He was waiting for me to tell him the title of Weir’s fourth episode.
Non Joe c'est pas sympa, la prochaine fois, vous viendrez vous-même nettoyer le café que j'ai recraché à cause du fou rire que j'ai eu lol.
Just finished having my birthday nervous breakdown and remembered a post from someone asking about script writing and what software to buy.
You can down load Smart Script free from the BBC at www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom.
I use it all the time; it has film, television, radio, stage UK/USA and manuscript.
Hope it’s of help.
My book vote The Time Travellers Wife because I already have it, but haven't had time to read it.
The Princess Bride because everyone raves about it and I want to know why?
Pauline
Joe:
Love your blog. I was wandering if you have a favorite scene or episode that you have written, since you joined the writing team in season four, for the character of Daniel? I'm a huge Daniel fan, and would love to know what episodes/scenes you are the most proud of when it comes to the character of Daniel Jackson?
Joe-
I love your blog. I know Atlantis wasn't affected by the writer's guild strike. But would the rumored SAG and DG strike affect Atlantis? Thanks.
Does the weight of all the dead inhabitants of the Pegasus Galaxy due to the Replicator base code have a profound effect on the characters for the rest of the season? Will they suffer for what they've done?
Hi Joe:
Further to my comment earlier regarding similarities between you and Rodney McKay, it occured to me that you both don't like children. So, how do you feel about lemons?
Patricia
Alas Babylon+Princess Bride
Anonymous #1 said...
Actually I was talking about the collateral damage suffered by your (increasingly tedious) planet of the week "primitives" who seem to be hoovered up at an alarming rate by the Wraith.. etc etc etc etc.
Wow. That there chip is even bigger than I thought. Do you walk lopsided from all the weight on one shoulder? It's a shame your analogy is so fatally flawed... if the US military (who, btw, don't run the Atlantis mission, the International Oversight Advisory do) were really interested in Atlantis solely for what they could gain from it and to hell with the natives of the Pegasus galaxy, they would have either flown the city back to Earth and abandoned Pegasus to the Wraith or likewise stripped the city of everything useful and fled back to Earth etc etc instead of running the continued risk of having to defend a route back to Earth from the Wraith. I guess you also missed all the references in the show to the expedition providing medical supplies to Pegasus galaxy planets, setting up sociological studies etc etc. If your alleged analogy were true, then the expedition would be quite happy to sit back and let the Asurans obliterate all the human planets in Pegasus as long as it got them their objective - getting rid of the Wraith.
Anonymous #2 (or is it?) said...
Whatever. My waning interest in the show means I'm not keeping track all that much of which episode is which.
And my point, if you'd actually bothered to read my post instead of just jumping into prove your Stargate Atlantis Trivia superiority is that, whichever episode it is, it's probably not worth worrying too much about, nor investing too much anticipation in because from Torri's own statement she's not really in it much.
I did read your post. And that post was replying to a quoted post of mine which in turn was in response to a specific point/question about which episodes Weir was in... If your post was dealing with an entirely different and, in your view, unrelated point, that of whether the episodes with Weir in are even worth watching, then perhaps you shouldn't have posted it in reply to a quoted post that was about a different point. Hmm. That got tangled. Are you confused yet?
As for correcting you - if you make accusations/arguements based on flawed information, you have to expect to be called on that. The fact that your disinterest in the show means you don't care about getting facts or details right in your argument, does little to support your point of view.
Anonymous #2 (or is it?) also said...
Personally, I'm more hoping once the writers strike is over Torri will be called back to reprise her role on NCIS. She had a delightful chemistry with David McCallum and her character seemed like she would be an interesting addition to the show. I'd rather not see Elizabeth retro-fitted to comply with Joe's new vision of a more military SGA universe.
Having just recently watched said episode of NCIS, I think you may be being a tad over-optimistic there. Good as Torri was in the role, it was a small, one-off role where she was on-screen for about 5 mintues tops. I can't see it being a role that they are going to look to bring back, let alone make an "addition to the show".
Hi Joe
Jonathan from Atlantis VFX here. I wanted to thank you and your guys for all your time on Friday. I'm going to make good on my promise (threat??) to keep working on my ideas and then come back and see you. I realized after talking to you guys how much more thinkin' our story (not the VFX) needs. Again, thanks for your time and your support. You were very generous.
I also am looking after a niece (aged 4 years) and nephew (age .63 years). I have them for the entire day while my girlfriend is at work. I plan to bribe the oldest with home made gingerbread cookies, movies and a trip to science world in a blatant ploy to regain my coveted “#1-Uncle Status”.
My favorite for place for a while now:
http://raj.jp/index.php/2006/10/02/kingyo-japanese-izakaya-on-denman-street/
It is a Izakaya but it is excellent and fun for a casual night out. The room is beautiful. The yellow tail is the best I’ve had in Vancouver. There’s a limited amount of sushi there so load up on the sashimi and have some of the prawns.
Jonathan
Joe,
I bought "The Princess Bride" a few weeks back. Haven't had a chance to start it yet, but it's next on my list of books to read.
I really enjoyed the movie, so I hope to enjoy the book.
So, I'll vote for that one. =)
And, amazingly enough, I have a SGA reference to The Princess Bride that fits in nicely here...
I watched The Return I & II again this week (it's nice to have the first 3 seasons on DVD so I can watch when the mood hits me). Anyhoo - a nice Princess Bride reference from John to Elizabeth - from the GW transcripts page...
SHEPPARD (writing on his pad again): Life isn’t fair -- it’s just fairer than death.
(Elizabeth frowns, surprised at his quote.)
WEIR: Oscar Wilde?
SHEPPARD: “The Princess Bride.” Good movie.
(Elizabeth chuckles. John looks up at her, then lowers his pad, looking awkward.)
Cheers!
SMB_BOOKS
Why havent we heard anything more about the stories for season five are you even working on them or are you waiting for the writer's strike to be over.
Anonymous said: "whichever episode it is, it's probably not worth worrying too much about, nor investing too much anticipation in because from Torri's own statement she's not really in it much."
And then your question makes even less sense. If you feel that way, what's the point in asking about the episode?
Anonymous also said: "Personally, I'm more hoping once the writers strike is over Torri will be called back to reprise her role on NCIS. She had a delightful chemistry with David McCallum and her character seemed like she would be an interesting addition to the show."
I watched that episode of NCIS because Torri was on it and I agree that she had great chemistry with David McCallum. I hope her role becomes recurring too. She's a great actress and it would be nice to see her in the show. I agree.
Anonymous also said: "I'd rather not see Elizabeth retro-fitted to comply with Joe's new vision of a more military SGA universe."
Then what are you doing here in the showrunner's blog? Why don't you stop going to SGA related sites if you don't like the show anymore? What's the point in remaining in the SGA fandom? To ruin other's fun posting the same negative stuff over and over?
I understand people not liking a show anymore if the reasons they watched the show in the first place are not there. What I don't understand is why they remain in the fandom and post in the showrunner's blog if they don't like the show anymore. It doesn't make any sense. I don't understand the whole "the show is crap because I don't like its new direction". I've followed shows for many years and then stopped watching them for different reasons. Sometimes I didn't like the cast changes, other times didn't like the new stories, whatever. But I just stopped watching and moved on, and it never occured to me to blame TPTB for taking the shows in directions *I* didn't like. Yes, I didn't enjoy the shows anymore, but I never thought "TPTB ruined *my* shows" or "the shows are crap". There're many shows out there that are high quality and just because I don't enjoy them, it doesn't mean they are bad. So I find the whole concept of some fans thinking a show is crap just because they don't enjoy it anymore very odd.
Joe -
Just a quick interruption to give a nod to SetMaat who also referenced the same quote from The Return. I hadn't read the latest comment update before I posted....whoopsy!
Cheers!
SMB_BOOKS
I was wondering why the patches on the sleeves of the alantis uniforms are sometimes covered?
Hi Joe,
I would like to vote for Princess Bride and Time Traveler's Wife. I've read the TTW before, but maybe it's time for a second read. As for PB, I've only seen the movie, so now it's time to read the book on the recommendation of so many of your readers.
Also,I believe Steven King's the Mist is coming out as a movie. I've been seeing commercials for it.
And, last, I'm a big Carter fan, but I agree somewhat with the reader that says that so far the writing for Carter has not been able to differentiate the character alot from Weir. I understand that Sam's still finding her way and thinking about all the implications beyond herself (which was cool that she mentioned that), but I'm really looking forward to seeing Carter make some decisions that would be VERY different from Weir's. And, would like to see more of Carter's character being built within the SGA environment.
Thanks for your blog -- I am a faithful reader.
--Sheree
I'd love to read Princess Bride (assuming I actually manage to read the book for your book club this month).
I've read The Time Traveler's Wife, and I don't really consider it SF; it's an interesting but a flawed novel, and I didn't feel it engaged with the SF aspects. I'd rather give Alas, Babylon a shot.
I've obviously been falling behind in my plot to plant subliminal messages in favor of bringing back Carson Beckett for season 5.
The problem is, I'm too wordy to do subliminal messages.
I cannot understand how enthusiasm for chocolate could keep small children away. Are you sure she's related to you? If anybody in my family avoided chocolate, or those who loved it, I would be convinced there had been some illicit baby-switching going on.
Definitely got to be time travellers wife - does my vote count if i already read it? It's amazing, and i definitely recommend.
Crooked letter sounds good and not one i've heard.
It'll be good to have an excuse as to why i was reading it instead of studying for my ominously looming exams...damn second year for actualy counting towards my degree!
Hi Joe,
one more question about Brad Wright's "Continuum" and I really hope you'll answer this one. Just simply YES or NO. Is Brad Wright going to shut Daniel/Vala fans/shippers up effectively erasing "Unending" events ? I know he doesn't care at all about this part of Stargate audience, but he should realize this group of people is not small at all as he probably hopes.
Here's a question for you:
If Jason Momoa has cut his hair off, where is Ronon going to hide all his knives?
Anonymous said...
I was wondering why the patches on the sleeves of the alantis uniforms are sometimes covered?
They take the patches off, leaving just a shaped velcro patch, when they go off-world, if that's what your asking about? I believe it's standard practice to remove patches etc identifying country origin etc when on missions?
Sheree said...
Also,I believe Steven King's the Mist is coming out as a movie. I've been seeing commercials for it.
Really? I thought I saw a bit of a trailer recently that looked reminscent of the plot of that story (if it is the one I am thinking of that was in the Stephen King anthology "Skeleton Crew").
Dear Joe Mallozzi,
1. Do you think Sci fi will revert back to a Summer season opener for season 5, like seasons 1 through 3?
2. What are the chances of finishing or continuing old storylines from early seasons such as Before I slept, Condemned,or the brotherhood in season 5?
3. Will we be seeing new ship designs in BAMSR? No offense but the Aurora class isnt the only Lantean ship and yet that is all we see when regarding ancient space ships.
4. Also which episode will the new wraith cruiser which we saw its concept pictures in your earlier august entries appear?
Thank you sir,
your number 1 anonymous fan who is determined to be the 1000000 visitor in your blog.
Coming out of lurker-dom to put my vote in for The Time Traveler's Wife. I've read it and would love to read it again with a group.
While I'm here, I wanted you to know that your blog inspired me to have a chocolate tasting one night after dinner. I purchased 5 bars of chocolate that weren't made by Hershey at a local grocery store. My plan had been to have everyone take a bite of each, then discuss. Unfortunately, the males in my family ate and ran. We enjoyed the chocolate any way and now I know that dark chocolate with crystalized ginger should never be bought again.
Cheers!
Salut mon Joseph =) <3
Sa va bien?
Moi oui =)
Votre Niéce a peur de vous?
....moi je dirais plutot que vous l'imprésioné =)
Si je vous voyez voici mes réactions:
1)Je vous regarde la bouche et les yeux grand ouvert.
2)Je pleur.
3)Je crie
4)je m'évanoui....
5).....?? vous savez faire le bouche a bouche?
lol XD
OUlala, demaine je sarais ma moyenne général de premier trimestre....gulrp ....j'ai peur d'avoir passer trop de temp dans le monde de stargate.
Mes questions:
1)Vous avez qu'une soeur?
2)Aprés sa naissance où ira
le bébé de Teyla? il restera sur atlantis?
Voila! Merci! Je vous love trop! a demain =) <3<3<3<3
I just bought the Princess Bride the other day, Weird! I love the movie but never read the book so decided it was time. So my vote is for Princess Bride and The Time Traveler's Wife.
re love ..rien que pour le plaisir =)
....je suis totalement accro a vous ^^!
My Vote: The Princess Bride and the Time Traveler's Wife.
TTFN!
Hey Joe- haven’t posted a comment in quite awhile though I think I will now.
In terms of your reading club I would have to vote for Princess Bride and Time Traveller's wife. Princess Bride is a classic and while I've never read Time Traveller's Wife by I love anything that is related to time...
....speaking of time Rodney's growing old in 'The Last Man' because he's waiting for you to tell him Torri's 4th episode? *lol* Well he's not the only one, I know a whole couple of boat-loads (or thread-loads) of fans over on gateworld who would absolutely LOVE to know the title of the fourth episode. Including me.
And I've got to agree with anon. 1 that it's probably going to be BASMR, though I'm betting on a flashback because as anon.1 replied in the comments for today- Torri herself said that she was technically in two episodes this season, though really four. So chances are whatever her role will be in this mysterious fourth episode it will probably be as much as Adrift.
Now I know that no amount of prodding will get you to tell us what her fourth episode is, but I gotta ask Joe- can you at least tell us why? I mean is the title of the episode SOOO plot specific that if we know, your masterful planning will all be ruined? Or is the fourth title remaining a mystery because you haven't figured out where to copy and paste Torri's appearance into? That's what it sounds like to me... and if it is plot specific I just gotta say that you let us know that Carson/Paul M. would be in 'Kindred' and what has been released from that is somewhat plot specific and very, VERY revealing.
*looks up* I’m rambling. Basically, I (and I know a lot of other people) would love to know the episode, but in loo of that could we at least know the reason WHY you can’t tell us? And just because you don’t want to is not a valid reason. >_^
Hope the spinning of stories for season 5 is going well, and I hope that you will leave some juicy stories for Carl to write when he gets back from LA... and any hints for the upcoming season? Any possible doors open to have past cast-members return such as Ford, Carson and Elizabeth because as it has been said no one truly dies in scifi (and on that note, don’t know if it’s been mentioned before or not something freaky is that during the first table reading of ‘Rising’ the one that’s shown in the special features of the Season 1 box set all three of them are sitting together. Rainbow farthest from the camera, Paul in the middle and Torri closest too.... kinda freaky that that’s the order they’ve been gotten rid of in eh?)
Must get back to my essay now...
TTFN Joe.
-Anjirika
Please answer my question. Do you like eggnog (the non-alcoholic variety, of course)? Thanks.
Hi Joe,
I'm sure you're tired to death with questions about Continuum. Still, I have to ask: since you've already seen it, which polar animals do you think will appreciate it more, penguins or polar bears?
Thanks Joe!
Alas Babylon and The Princess Bride
Terrifying little kids is great, if you do it right they always remember and as adolescent tearaways will go out of their way to not piss you off. Its great!
*waves*
Oh Mr M! You're becoming reticent to answer our questions? Are we pissing you off?
I shall attempt to be less irritating in the future. Well for today anyway. ;)
Did you know that for some strange reason, the DVD's getting released on Monday has "Sunday' listed in this DVD set, and yet the 'Ark' is shown to be on the next set.... *sigh*
I see Ali has answered anon's ramblings, so that saves me a job of being vocal. See, aren't I good? I'm rolling my eyes and letting it go. :D
Lastly to Pam and her Irresposible query.
:cries: Why do people keep tormenting me with talk of that ep. *sniff*
*takes a deep breath* It's ok i'm good, i'm over it!
Okay, so i'm relaly not over it. *growls* Sorry. :( I'm going now. See, Mr M I can be good on occasions. :D
*hugs and hands over virtual chocolate cake 70% cocoa*
:D
Dear Joe,
I hope this message finds you well.
I figured I'd combine my reviews of Missing and The Seer into one review because I'm lazy like that and I've been busy with other stuff. Also, please excuse minor typos. You are not obliged to excuse major typos, as I should know better than that.
Anyway, here goes:
Missing:
This was an odd episode in that a new recurring character got almost a full episode where she was the focus (along with Teyla of course). I think Ms. Staite did an excellent job with the material, but it was a strange sort of sensation. Part of me was wondering why this wasn't done earlier for the character. Another part of me was wondering why other recurring characters, such as Zelenka and Lorne, have not had similar treatment. I think would have preferred slightly less focus on Keller, but I don't know how that would have worked. I do know that the season 2 episode, The Long Goodbye, was, in my opinion, an excellent episode for the Caldwell character, and that perhaps that sort of approach should be considered more carefully in the future.
The main reason why I originally wanted to do a review of Missing and The Seer together was that Missing felt like a setup episode. I didn't find that there was enough going on in the episode. I think that rather than sending McKay, Sheppard and Ronan to rescue Teyla and Keller, an unrelated, and perhaps light-hearted subplot (I'm thinking like the Bashir and O'Brien or Quark and random trouble subplots in DS9), would have been a more effective use of their screen time.
I do applaud the writer of the episode for a more effective use of Ronan in terms of dialogue in this episode, which is a comment I have for the season in general.
The Seer:
As it turned out, Missing was only a half setup episode. The Seer, while using Teyla's concern for her people as an excuse to visit the seer, actually had very little to with the events of Missing, but, in my opinion, the episode did not suffer at all for it. First, this was a good Carter episode, and while I am in favour of her maintaining a support role in the show, this was a case where put her at the centre of attention was a great creative decision. I hope, however, that her vision of the destruction of Atlantis will not come about until at least the season finale. While I realize that you had no way of knowing if you'd be picked up for another season when you made that episode, and thus were probably tempted to incorporate it into season four, I think it would make for a better story if that vision could be held over until season five. After all, real life doesn't resolve itself once a year, which is part of the reason why Michael and Koyla have been interesting characters.
Sheppard, Carter and Woolsey were great together, and my sympathies go out to the Woolsey character. Ever since the character was introduced in SG1, I had a feeling that he had potential. The idea of a unlikable but at the same time admirable character, (which I guess makes him similar to Rodney in a twisted sense), is one that fascinates me, and one that I think fascinates the audience in general, at least in small doses.
Finally, the story itself was compelling. I had no idea what was going to happen next. Well, I had some idea, but that's because I've been reading your blog and your minor spoilers. The point is that the episode kept me curious as to where things were going, though the two hive ships blowing each other up feels overdone at this point (I realize it probably isn't really, but it feels that way, which counts for something).
Side note: Todd was great, but you probably already knew that.
Anyway, I did have a couple of questions for you, and I would greatly appreciate it if you could answer them.
1) Are there any characters you have written out of either SG1 or Atlantis that you wish you could bring back and of which the fans are not aware?
2) This one requires some jumping around. In the season ten episode "The Road Not Taken", alternate Sam and alternate Rodney were married and then divorced. Given that any person experiencing an alternate reality would (I presume) be required to document everything they could about that reality, and given that the work Sam did in that reality probably has direct bearing on Rodney's general work with bridging realities/universes/whatever to draw power, wouldn't Rodney have read that file? If yes, as a follow-up, shouldn't he be just a little, um, can't think of the adjective I'm looking for, but you know, in regards to the events of TRNT?
Anyway, that would be a scene I would enjoy seeing, as it would be the closest Rodney would ever have to an upper hand in a conversation with Sam, at least up until the point where she reminds him they got divorced in the end, which would be humourous in and of itself.
Thought you might need a little help there Joe answering a loaded penguins vs polar bears question regarding "Continuum" so.........
polar bears polar bears polar bears polar bears polar bears polar bears polar bears polar bears polar bears polar bears
POLAR BEARS!!!!!!!!!!
*ahem* sorry Joe
Anjirika said...
Basically, I (and I know a lot of other people) would love to know the episode, but in toilet of that could we at least know the reason WHY you can’t tell us? And just because you don’t want to is not a valid reason. >_^
Where is Joe legally, ethically or morally obligated to answer ANY of our questions? We don't have him strapped to a chair with a 120 watt lightbulb shining in his face, if he doesn't want to answer a question that is a perfectly valid reason.
We're not paying him for this, this is his free time, and quite frankly if he wants to use his blog to extole the virtues of the colour lilac for the next 5,000 posts then so be it, even if any sane person knows that lilac is just a purple wannabe. *shakes head sadly*
Anyway, back to the seriouz business of asking questions. So what's your credit card number? Remember, under Blog Statute 453 you are obligated to answer. Don't make me call my internet lawyer.
Joe,
I'm sure someone has already told you, but Scotch Eggs are eggs, wrapped in sausage & bread crumbs, then deep fried. While they sound disgusting (they did to me, at least), they are quite tasty, especially with a honey mustard dipping sauce. They're very heavy, though, and I could only finish 1 (they usually come with around 3, with each cut in half). You should try them if you get the chance! (Look for an Irish/English/Scottish restuarant for the best ones.)
I read this answer
Uh, what show are YOU watching? What “oil”? And what “primitives”? The poor, misunderstood wraith? You’re looking mighty silly trying to force a parallel that isn’t there.
I just had to ask..Did you like Andy Rooney of 60 Minutes fame?
cheers,
Nicobar
I suspect the fear is from the rageful outbursts as opposed to the fondness for chocolate and dog talking, the last two I have observed in small children. Swearing at football teams doesn't kick in until around 10 or so, and matures around the time beer drinking starts.
Perhaps she has picked up on the vibe that Fondy has been trying to bump you off.
P.S. Did we pass 750K yet?
Joe, I would just like to say that I have seen a few eps of season 4 & i think they are great! The introduction of Carter into the show I like. Also the introduction of Keller too, the character is great. I am a beckett fan but also like keller!
I really love Stargate Atlantis it lets me escape from the reality of the world outside for an hour! I haven't had the best year. I lost my house & had to give away some of my pets & my mum had a stroke!
Thanks for a brilliant show!
Cathie
Since you said you've seen both movies I thought maybe I can convince you yo share some spoilers...
For Ark of Truth
Sam and Cam promotions will be on-screen? If so do you think Jack not attending Sam's promotion to full-bird is "in character"?
For Continuum
Do you think this movie will please Sam and Jack shippers or we'll still have to wait for the Trio scene or some illusive season 5 mention?
And last question which movie did you like best?
PRINCESS BRIDE!!! PRINCESS BRIDE!!! Can you tell I'm excited about that one? And Alas, Babylon, sort of the other end of the spectrum.
i'm voting for the princess bride. sadly i have never read the book, but the movie was my favorite throughout most of my (younger) childhood. (cirrently it has been replaced by my current what-could-be-considered-childhood fave, national treasure. i think. i have a hard time with favorites- i usually have multiple runner-ups.)
Anonymous said:"I'm also seeing why, when the show has become unashamedly about just that, a character like Elizabeth Weir (or heaven forbid, Daniel Jackson) who would reasonably be expected to voice concerns about single minded military acquisitiveness would be persona non gratis in the brave new SGA. Much better to have good little military drone Carter who will follow orders no matter how repugnant, especially if "sir" asks her nicely."
Would this be the same Dr. Jackson that advocated genocide for the Ori? The same Dr Jackson that *waved* at a man who had been beamed into space without a suit?
Yep, a real humanitarian/diplomat there.
suse
Vote for the reading club. I would like to Golden's "The Princess Bride". I started "Time Traveler's Wife" a few years back and couldn't stick with it. I'll end up reading it anyway even if you don't. Thanks for the suggestion. Regarding Season 4, I'm totally loving it. Tabula Rasa is so far my favorite. Keep up the good work and thanks for the blog. I look forward to reading it daily. Susan B.
Riley, I'm not sure what the difference is.
If it helps with the voting, we have Sample Pages of The Crooked Letter online! Just thought you all would like to know.
Book Club: Though it appears The Princess Bride is ahead, as a Pyr publicist I'd like to let these reviewer comments "vote" for THE CROOKED LETTER by Sean Williams:
“Genre fans who enjoy spirituality-powered novels that delve into religious and mythic belief systems (Kim Stanley Robinson's The Years of Rice and Salt, Hal Duncan's Vellum, et al.) should prepare to be blown away… The Crooked Letter is equal parts arcane fantasy, postapocalyptic thriller, and Lovecraftian horror. Ever wonder what happens to people after they die? Williams's exploration into the various realms of the afterlife is as engaging as it is disturbing—a page-turner of the highest order.”
-Barnes and Noble.com
“It is as dark and gritty as a Mieville novel, as strange as Steven King, and more accessible than either.” —Neth Space
“A superior tale, one that should satisfy even jaded readers. Surreal, imaginative, captivating, unique—there's a lot to love about this one. Add this novel to your "books to read" list. The final verdict: 8/10”
—Pat’s Fantasy Hotlist
“Williams captures what makes a tried and true genre like Epic Fantasy so popular and enjoyable of a genre and spins a tale with his unique voice. This is the type of book you finish and can’t wait to read the sequel.”
—SFF World
Also, should The Crooked Letter not be selected for the book club this time around--if Mr. Mallozzi is interested in randomly selecting a winner from those who participated in his book club selection process, I'd be happy to offer one or two free copies to (U.S. based) fans of this blog.
Mr. Mallozzi, email me at publicity@prometheusbooks.com and let me know if you're game for a giveaway. Thanks!
Post a Comment