Saturday, November 17, 2007

November 17, 2007






“Hey!”said the guy behind the counter, glancing over my shoulder. “Is that your dog?” My dog?! For a split second, I was panic-stricken. My mind flashed back to a recurring dream in which I board a bus on my way to school, unzip my sports bag, and have Jelly, Maximus or Bubba (who I’ve inadvertently packed away along with my books) jump out and start tearing up and down the aisle, evading my best efforts to corral them. Was my nightmare become reality? How was this possible? Had one of my dogs actually followed my car all the way down to the corner of 4th and Burrard, gamely scampering behind my Q7 as it rolled through the busy intersections?! Had one of them slipped out the door while I was heading out and jumped into the car without my noticing?! I looked back, expecting to see Lulu standing outside in the pouring rain, staring in at me. “Hey, wait a minute!”I quickly realized. “This guy doesn’t even know my dogs!” And true enough. I was looking out at a German Sheppard sitting in a parked Ford Explorer? German Sheppard? Ford Explorer?! Jesus, buddy! You nearly gave me a heart attack!

That half second of panic was about as exciting as it got today UNTIL a good friend called me up to inform me that he had attended a charity event the other night and won not one, not two, but three door prizes. A trip, watch, and, best of all (because I can get in on it) a Southern Style Barbecue for him and 29 of his friends. Basically, this guy will come to your house and cook up anything from smoked chicken and lamb to a whole suckling pig. How brilliant is that? My buddy calls, gets me all worked up, and then tells me that because this is Vancouver and it’ll probably rain from now until May, it’ll be a half a year before we actually cash in on his prize. Come on! I want my Southern Barbecue now!

To tide me over, I turn to my sister’s recent email review of Bofingers Barbecue Smokehouse:

“A simple and basic smokehouse place serving beef & pork ribs, chicken, lamb, and burgers. You order at the counter.. choose your meat, choose your sauce, choose a side dish. The decor is clean & simple... large black booths, white walls... counter service only... cash only... predominantly male clientele.

Mom's lamb with the Memphis sauce - the meat was good. Although I did find the sauce spicy, I found it a tad too vinegary for my taste... overpowered even the taste of the lamb.

Fondy's pork ribs with a side salad (?) why salad... to counter the fat of the ribs? Mom got salad too, forcing me to add an extra side. Ribs were tasty, but a tad dry.

PoBoy - shredded pork, swiss cheese and fries... all in a bun - and a side of the bright yellow mac & cheese. Too much bread, but the sandwich was tasty... had a good smokiness to it. Mac & cheese - bright, yet bland.

My chicken & rib combo... my favorite plate. The chicken was a little charred on the edges, but you could really taste the smoke. I would order it again... maybe try the wings next time. Ribs were good as well - with the traditional Texas BBQ sauce. The coleslaw, although good, was nothing special... remember the coleslaw at the wing place on Sources? That was the best!

Enough food to bring back for the dogs... or maybe even Lili.

Prices are very reasonable.

Desserts are pathetic... nanaimo bar, generic brownie, chocolate chip cookie. What, no deep fried Mars bar?”

No deep friend Mars bar? And they call themselves a smokehouse! More than barbecue, my sister's picture make me want to go out and buy her a new camera (that second picture looks like an autopsy photo).

Today’s blog is dedicated to Paul’s wacky black lab Maddy and to iB’s equally wacky mom.

Today’s mailbag:

Jenny Robin writes: “ I must cease visiting your blog for a few days, for tomorrow (Saturday) I am off to Memphis to take in some music, eat some real Memphis bbq, and oh, train a new GM.”

Answer: Memphis BBQ! Check in with an update when you get the chance.

Anna writes: “"The future is predetermined by the character of those who shape it."
That is a truly powerful sentence. Which writer came up with that?”

Answer: Paul Mullie.

Cheeky Lil Devil writes: “I have to say, loved the wraith's humour, it had me in stitches. Was that Marty G's humour by anychance or was it Rob's?”

Answer: Again - Paul, who was also responsible for my favorite exchange. When a nervous Woolsey is about to head in to face a wraith for the first time, he hesitates and then motions Carter with a “Ladies first.”.

Mags writes: “When Carter and Sheppard about the annoyances of the IOA she says something along the lines of "Now I know why *** didn't want to take the job" I heard HE and my brother heard YOU.”

Answer: She said “you”.

OhioAnne writes: “In watching the episode, I felt we were handed a laundry basket of individual scenes with little overall coherence.”

Answer: This, more than any other episodes, left many questions unanswered. Teyla’s pregnancy. The raising of the stakes in the ongoing wraith-replicator war. And, of course, Atlantis’s latest guest, Todd. And, of course, the city’s seemingly inevitable destruction. This season, more than any other, will be arc-driven and hopefully, as the pieces fall into place and some surprising answers revealed, you’ll appreciate the narrative tapestry we’ve woven. Or not. Still, here’s hoping Miller’s Crossing is more your cup of tea.

Crazymom writes: “Do you ever take a break from computers and go internet-less for a period of time?”

Answer: And miss a day of blogging? Never.

Anonymous #2 writes: “Joe, the big discussion over at most of the stargte sites I frequent is all about the stupid new uniforms. […] What made you guys decide to go the way you have?”

Answer: The actors who found the old uniforms incredibly uncomfortable and, like us, love the look of the new one. You’re overruled. Sorry.

Firefly827347 writes: “ Hey Joe, I noticed you're on facebook. (At least, I think you are. Otherwise you have your very own Doppelganger...) Would you object especially if I added you as a friend or is that a bit weird?”

Answer: You can but you probably won’t get a response - not because I’m ignoring you but because I’m rarely on Facebook as I find it a mind-numbing waste of time.

67 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of fried mars bars, ever had a fried snickers bar?

Charles Schneider said...

Excellent meal selections all around. I also have a particular fondness for the occasional barbecue joint. If only cholesterol could be a vitamin...

Every time I hear the words "deep fried candy bar" I'm instantly reminded of the Simpson's episode wherein Moe converts his bar into a TGI Friday's-esque establishment, complete with a Naval deep fryer, which according to Moe could deep fry a buffalo in less than 5 minutes.

Joshua Meyers said...

Hey Joe, I was on the edge of my seat the entire episode, i was very anxious about what was to happen next and then BANG! the city get destroyed in that vision. WOW! in the words of the 2nd guy to find the jumper bay 'I love it.'

Promogirl said...

I'm curious about Jenny's trip to Memphis as well. That's my home town and nothing comes close to Memphis barbecue. ;-)

And for what it's worth, I like the new uniforms as well. That's one fan vote at least...

Will we see Carter going on any more off world missions this season? It looks like she will in Trio but I'm wondering if there are any other episodes.

Joshua Meyers said...

The foremost expert in Ancient and Replicator technology. That title isn't Carter's so was that McKay's self imposed criteria, to make himself leader?

Anonymous said...

Hello hello
St Catherine's Day is coming up and I missed the molasses taffy we got to pull when I was little, so I will be attempting to make some myself this year.
Should it turn out, would you like some? Did you ever have molasses taffy growing up?

Joshua Meyers said...

I thought that Sheppard had a better understanding of the relationship. The Wraith was too, 'I bring you peace' and Sheppard was colder and more stand off'sh which was interesting to play off. Good Job!

Joshua Meyers said...

Wraith humor, do we get more this season or possibly next season.
The team could fined an abandoned wraith joke book. No?

crazymom said...

And miss a day of blogging? Never.

Absolutely! GeekBoy makes fun of me because sometimes the only reason I don't go on to bed is because you haven't posted yet. I've temporarily solved my computer problem by connecting my laptop to our spare monitor. It's not very portable, but it works. I've been having a wonderful time catching up on my email, posting the photos of Emma's "no more chemo" party and writing stories about the crazy people I deal with at work. They sort of frown on me doing that on the PD computers.

Thornyrose said...

If ever you find yourself on the east coast, I'll be happy to suggest some proper bbq places in central virginia. we have at least 3 excellent eateries, as well as a number of more mundane establishments.
Just want to comment on one thing about "Atlantis' destruction." That's not what we are seeing in the vision. It seems to me that we're watching a fairly precise strike by a limited number of drones. Certainly not what I'd expect the Replicators to be doing if they were out to wipe out the city. Do we have to wait till season five to see this particular arc resolved?

Anonymous said...

When questions hit your ear about visual effects and space battles you respond BE ALL MY SINS REMEMBER'D. Now I thought the visual effects in Adrift and Lifeline were pretty killer. Are they just going to get better? And are we going to see the Apollo and Daedalus fight side by side? I miss Caldwell.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't the destroyed Atlantis just as easily be the Replicators version? All the vision showed was the tower...they both have towers.

Just saying...I love the new cast, and yes, I love the new uniforms. This has been a fun season so far, and I really feel bad for those who can't just relax and enjoy.

Tesajb said...

I can hear my arteries screaming. Good BBQ though no?

And what is it with places that have really good entrees and horrible deserts?

I went on a 10 mile mountain bike ride with some of my MR2 buddies today (See Midship Runabout Two-Seater) and holy crap my legs are sore.

Off to Mendocino tomorrow. I'm interested to find out where we will catch a bite to eat!

majorsal said...

hi, joe,

i'm still on a high from seeing sam owning her command :D :D, but i'd like to ask you a question. when exactly will you know if amanda's going to be in season 5?



sally :D

Unknown said...

outstanding episode. very paycheck with "the future is defined by the character of those who shape it". todd is awesome.

why was the seer not able to see his own end?

Anonymous said...

What marriage proposal do you speak of and what episode is it in ?
Any clues/spoilers you could give me or arent you allowed to say?

Pauline said...

OMG all that meat, my recent puke fest was caused by under cooked lamb.

Well as far as I’m concerned it was so raw a good vet could have saved it.

My nephew is a chef and keeps telling me that meat is best served medium rare, oh yeah like I'm falling for that one again.

My family thinks it’s hysterically funny whenever I come into a room now to start shouting baahh…baahh at me!!

Think I’ll stick to seafood when have you ever heard of mad lobster disease or fish flu?
Pauline

Unknown said...

First post for me... I just wanted to say that this is fast becoming my absolute favorite season of Atlantis. I do miss Weir and Carson, and I was a bit leary of Carter coming over, but you'all haven't disappointed me at all.

And the Wraith joke? Priceless! As well as Woolsey being ultra-polite to Carter. Ladies first? *snort*

As for deep fried Mars bar... Yum! (quoting my southern-born husband) I've never had it, but the look on his face says I'll be trying it soon.

PG15 said...

You weren't kidding about this season Joe, the episodes have been excellently excellent! Here's my review of The Seer. Don't let the parts at the beginning turn you off ;-).

Mags said...

What is this deep fried Mars bar you speak of? It sounds Heavenly.

Double ouch's from you tonight. First you tell me MY BROTHER is right, and then you insult facebook- my life. Okay it's not quite my life, but it is the easiest way for all my geographically scattered friends and I to keep in touch post college. We're still in major withdrawal from one another.

My brother had the same dream where our cats popped out of his bag while he was at the airport. I'm guessing this dream is a symbol of something. Hmmm...

Anyways, thanks for the response even if it did prove me wrong. Have a good weekend!

Michelle said...

Hello from the Burbank Cretin con. Michael Shanks was looking might fine, and gave you a shout out, mentioning Daniel possibly appearing in S5. The crowd went wild! But he said if you kill him off, the deal's off. :)

One thing (of many) I loved about The Seer was that John values the peoples of Pegasus as much as the safety of Atlantis... asserting they can't defend the city at all costs to the other civilizations. Not only is it the "right" position, we haven't really seen it stated before, and it sets up lots of potential for more conflict with the IOA and US military. Will that be explored this year?

Anonymous said...

Looking back on Season 4 I found myself a little surprised by a few things. I was very much looking forward to the character drive/centered episodes. If I were to make a list of the my favs so far , I'd say it was the Team ones, which I didn't expect.

I have DG, TR, Adrift, Lifeline, Seer, way above Reunion, Travelers, Missing. And I was asking myself why and the only thing I can come up is balance. I don't think I'd mind the character driven ones if there was more of a balance between the A and B plots. Instead of having 70% screen time to focus character and then 30% on the rest of the cast, its been more like 90% vs 10%.

Is there not a way to have character heavy episodes and still draw people in if thats not their cup of tea or is that too difficult to do or a writer? In past seasons it seems like their was a greater balance between the A and B plots.

Joshua Meyers said...

Really great work this season Joe, it has shown among other things that the story telling has been a lot better with the writing staff having more time to write, and Stargate is really growing and raising the bar.

Q:Does Weir appear in any of episodes 10-12?(specify)

Anonymous said...

Todd better watch his waistline i think he gain a little around the cheeks. No?

PapaSmurf said...

I love Jewel as Dr. Keller and I would absolutely love to see Nathan Fillion make an appearance on the show. I think he would be a very funny and interesting guest star. Would you support him guest staring Hypothetically?

Anonymous said...

Can you please dedicate your next blog to those of us whose questions you never answer?

Amz said...

I just read a short story by King called Lunch at Gotham Cafe (in his collection "Everything's Eventual") which featured a mad maitre'd who hassled the protagonist by greeting him then saying something like "I told you to leave your dog outside!" (the protag thought he must mean an umbrella as there was no dog). And then I see you have been asked about a dog. Strange coincidence, hey?

I confess to not keeping up to date with your blog. I told my sister today and you know what her reply was? "Take that, Binder" (don't know if you remember giving out that piece of witticism, but it's stuck).

♥ANAIS♥ said...

Salut Joseph!!!!! =)

Olalal miame les photos =)! Ce midi il y'a des gens inviter a la maison, ma mére va préparait un couscouse huummmmm =D!

Ouff pour votre chien, moi aussi j'ai vraiment peur que sa m'arrive, et en plus mon chien se sauve souvent, alors j'ai super peur a chaque fois!

Ahhhh hier j'ai vu l"épisode "UNINVITED" et l'épisode "200"!
Je nous vous cacherez pas que uninvited ma fait peur^^! tous les choses qui rôde dans les fôrets me terrifi.
L'épisode 200 été génialisime, splendide, superbe! Je l'adore, il ma fait bien rire! =)
Jespert que vous allez faire quelque chose pour marquer le 100iéme épisode d'atlentis =)

mes question:
1)le froid et la pluit de Vancouver ne vous embete pas? ne voudriez vous pas habiter dans une pays plus chaud?
2)Aimez vous la poésie?
3)Pourquoi de pas tournée les wraith en dérision dans la saison 5? comme leur méttre un tutu...?

Voila!! Merci bc!!! Je vous love fort!! a demain!Bonne journée!=)

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,

For the record, I very much enjoyed The Seer, and I do love the new uniforms!

Jenn

firefly827347 said...

You're right, facebook is annoying, but people at Edinburgh university use it a lot to comminicate so I felt I had to get it. Thanks for answering though! :)

Nicolas said...

Salut Joe
Hier soir j'ai vu l'épisode "200" et il y a Carter qui parle à Mitchell du rapport 30.185, elle lui dit que O'Neill est son pere!
Est-ce que c'est vrai où c'était juste une blague?

k100 said...

Hehe Joe, It`s really funny your event in "Bofinger". I enjoyed while I read It. I was wondering, is there any chance to receive an Atlantis e-card with your signature and best wishes for me? :)
Regards,
Jessy

Anonymous said...

Whats Todds favourite food?

answer: Sheppards Pie!

Franklin said...

Can you please dedicate this blog to the Scottish football (soccer) team who only just lost to Italy in a match in Scotland on Saturday. The winner of the match going on to Euro 2008.

Our team is often ridiculed but they played with passion. Our fans (known as the Tartan Army) were all decked out in their tartan, singing songs off key and enjoying themselves - the final score of 2-1 Italy being only a minor blip in the party atmosphere.

The official verdict on the final score - "We was robbed!"

Anonymous said...

Hello, I don't read your blog often and I don't know if Stargate Atlantis will be affected by the writers strike, but if it is, then you have my support as a fan.

Up until the last two weeks I really thought actors, writers and directors were making big bucks out of DVD sales, internet streaming and iTunes downloads. It's not fair that you don't, since the media moguls are making fortunes out of your collective talent. I hope the WGA reaches a better deal and I hope it reaches out to Canada as well. I just gave $10 to the PencilstoMediaMoguls campaign. Not much, but who knows, you may have as much success as the Jericho NutsToCBS campaign.

Good luck to you all !

Anonymous said...

(Grrrr, blogger still isn't taking my password!!)

To the issue of whether or not to make Todd a recurring character (if you're still discussing that), I vote a resounding YES! Actually, I'd like to see him become as permanent a fixture in Atlantis itself as Zelenka or Keller, but I'm not holding my breath. But more interactions with him would be very welcome. And an encounter between Todd and Michael would rock my world!

Anonymous said...

1)Will Replicators attempt to write human emotion into their own code, as a means of likening themselves in their creators image?

2)Can we expect changes in Michael when we see him next?

Paula said...

I have to comment and say that I LOVE the new uniforms. They're flattering to the figure and just look cool.

And isn't a lot of sci-fi just about looking cool? ;-)

Maddy was very excited about having the blog dedicated to her. She's still a bit afraid of the bathroom.

If we ever talk you into coming to Atlanta for Dragon*Con, stay over a couple of days and I'll take you to some great Southern BBQ! (Ooo...and comfort cooking and some actual fancy cuisine.)

Anonymous said...

The guy who plays Todd is an amazing actor!

Anonymous said...

Did you know that it only takes the left hand to type "Stargate", but both to type "Atlantis"?

Anonymous said...

Cheri said "Couldn't the destroyed Atlantis just as easily be the Replicators version? All the vision showed was the tower...they both have towers." Yes. To add to that suggestion, the ship overhead looked more like the Deadulus or the Appolo than a replicator ship. Oh, wait... weren't there people from Atlantis in the city? Or did the replicators decide they wanted to be just like the Lantians? You're not gonna approve this, are you?

Anonymous said...

Some truely great moments in "The Seer." I loved it when Carter threatened to have Wolsey removed from her conrol room. She demonstrates the true spirit of command by dealing with him in a manner that puts her job in peril while protecting her command and it's people.

Sheppard stepped up to the plate as a strong executive officer [a position I would think he occupies] when he advised Wolsey that the decision he way trying to make was not his call. Plus, he's ready to "run-and-gun" for Carter as soon as needed and head for the chair room with his own secret weapon...his mind.

There is still much to be answered, and a 2-week pause in the action is not helful at this time in the season, knowing that there is a 4-week break headed our way in only a few more weeks. The season upfolds slowly for the story arc.......

Nolim said...

Just discovering your blog. So, you are the man behind SGA? Congratulations. ^^

I would like to share some of my thoughts toward this series.

In my opinion, the main difference between SG-1 and SGA is the question of bad guys. The Goa'ulds are most definitely evil. They act as parasites while they could be symbiotes. In a sense, the same goes for the Oris. Even if neither the Tok'râs or the Ancients are perfect, they prove that it is all about a matter of choice. The case of Replicators was more complicated. Somehow, they showed that the heroes weren't perfect either.

In SGA, Humans are mere food for the Wraiths, Wraiths are mere targets for the Replicators and Replicators are mere tools for the Humans. Reciprocally, Humans feel themselves at jeopardy toward the Wraiths who feel menaced by the Replicators who know they can't trust Humans. Nice paper-rock-scissors game, isn't it? And it seems that nobody as any choice in those matters. It is like that and that's all. And it is pretty much the same for the many "alone villains". Ford was insane, Lucius was irresponsible and Michael was misunderstood. Kolya was in fact the only one to be openly a bad person. I don't know yet the history of the new wraith worshipper.

Sometimes, I have concerns about this system. It is like the heroes weren't better than their ennemies. They are humans so they are our team, and that's all it takes. It may be a little weird for an atheist like myself to call your Pegasus galaxy a "brutal darwinian world", but I do it anyway.

What do you think about it? Does my vision of SGA surprise you or is it precisely what you intended?

Anonymous said...

Just a quick question, Joe.

If the ratings for Torri's eps are significantly higher than the rest of the 'not performing so well' season four, will you rethink your "That character must go" stance, and realise that yes, she is actually popular, and does have a significant fan base?

You wouldn't believe how many people at the Springfield convention were saying they love Weir, and the loss of her has led to them no longer watching. They're just watching reruns of seasons 1-3 instead.

You've lost a massive drawcard by dumping her, and you've really shown no legitimate reason for it other than "we love Amanda! We love Carter!"

Anonymous said...

So far there is Steve, Bob and now Todd as names of the various wraiths that have held captive by the team.

Will we ever find out what or even if the wraith's have names of their own?

Anonymous said...

I just read another poster comment about DRAGON*CON and just had to post again.

You have a lot of fans who, can't make it to Vancouver, and would love to see you. I know you will probably have a busy schedule but it would be such a PLEASURE if you could make it to ATLANTA!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading some snippets on MSOL and on Gateworld from Michael's Burbank appearance and just wanted to stop by and say THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

The only other thing that I can think of to say about seeing Daniel in season 5 is..........

SQUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

is the marriage proposel with John and Elizabeth on the balcony scene in this mortal coil....if so i will be very happy

Anonymous said...

is the engagement scene between sheppard and weir in this mortal coil?

Ivana said...

Joe thank you! Mum says that as well.. Though she was asking why wacky.. =)..

Have a nice Sunday

Ivana

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe,
I was injured two weeks ago and haven't had much internet time (the painkillers make me too loopy to read much). So, I've spent the last couple days catching up on your blog....
I just have to say thanks for all the laughs and the awesome epi's. I really needed something to take my mind off the big ouch.
Also, my sister just bought the SG-1 complete series (she's thrilled because the box has a Stargate on it) so we've been watching to prevent my death-by-boredom and subsequently generating many questions about the series.
The two most important of which are.... forgive me if they're repeats.... 1)What were O'Neill's, Sheppard's, and Mitchell's majors in University? 2)On either Atlantis or at the SGC, can they tell where a wormhole originates (do they know where someone is dialing in from)?
Thanks! You're awesome. Naturally.
:D Skip

Anonymous said...

MrsB108 said...
1)Will Replicators attempt to write human emotion into their own code, as a means of likening themselves in their creators image?

maybe this is something Mckay could do to stop them killing "food" supply.

♥ANAIS♥ said...

Bon joseph j'ai une mauvaise nouvelle...mon professeur de Mathématique a repousser le control a demain.........
J'ai appris, mais je n'est rien compris.....Nonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!=((
Demain l'horreur commencera, je suis sur que j'aurais une mauvaise note a cause de sa!
Ahhhhhhh pourquoi cette diabolique matiére éxiste!!!!
Franchement les mathématiques ne serve a rien! vous n'êtes pas de mon avie???

Bon bah bonne journée...jespert que demain vous aurez une petit pensée pour moi....Kiss Kiss, a demain ...

Dee in South Africa said...

"...my sister's picture make me want to go out and buy her a new camera (that second picture looks like an autopsy photo)."

I have a brother your age and if he said that to me,well,I would have my hand out and an evil grin on my face.

Joe, face it, you're toast.

All I can say is this - Sis,he embarrassed you in front of all his Blogger pals. For that, make it a Pentax, and it better NOT be an early Christmas present!

ps, if this double posts blame Google :-)

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed "The Seer". A bit rushed, too much individual scenes, but overall an entertaining episode that opens very interesting history arcs for late season. The replicator’s plan of killing the wraith food source makes me wonder if that minds that we actually saw some of Elizabeth's memory in the Replicators. In “Hot Zone”, McKay theorizes to Elizabeth that wiping out the Wraith food source might have been an Ancient plan of last resort (or sort of it). It’s somehow related?

Well, I know that you have to be really, really sick of this question, but I believe that somebody has to ask it. I am so sorry if this bothers you, Mr. Mallozzi… You said that the four Weir’s episodes were in the first ten episodes, which minds that the fourth Weir episode is “Miller’s Crossing”, right?

Anonymous said...

So Joe, now we know there's gonna be a season 5 & ya spinnin' stories for next year there's no excuses!! Are we or are we not going to get Beckett & Paul McGillion back fulltime for season 5? And dont be cleverly oblique now! We're not asking about 1 or 2 episodes like this year, we're talking fulltime here! Has all the hard work for over a year, loyalty by the Save Carson Beckett campaign & Paul's fans going to be rewarded? Not to mention all those $$$ in free publicity! And not just for an episode or two like this year! It's been proven how popular he is, with the fans and the critics and I'm sure you're well aware how upset we'll be if you let us down after all the build up!! We want him back full time or at least heavily recurring!!! Come on Joe, put us out of our misery!

Unknown said...

*waves*

You answered my question! *Tries not to die from shock* :P Ah you do still love me. ;o) So it was the other Mr M that wrote that line! Good to know :o) There's been some great one liners this year. Have you got a favourite?

Try not to fall off your chair, Joe, when I say I actually agree with anon on something!! I know, shocking isn't it? I honestly thought i'd enjoy the character eps the most. But, for some reason i'm loving the team eps more. Even when compared with Travelers. What can I say i'm a bad Shep whumper.
:( What can I say, I love team bonding, and infirmary scenes *luffs the TR infirmary scene* it still makes me go all gooey. Must be the chest peekage. ;o) So TR has a slight edge on Travelers, but only for that reason. LOL.

Oh by the way i'm in rambling mode. Sorry. We were talking about the CG Wraith being in Atlantis, and someone brought up a good point. How are they going to feed him?

*hugs*

Anonymous said...

Bored now.

I'm holding great store by Miller's Crossing restoring some of my flagging interest in season 4. The snarky Hewlett siblings are always a joy. Otherwise the season has been pretty much a bust so far. Doppleganger was fun in parts but ultimately a bit of a non event and I didn't even get to the end of The Seer before falling asleep.

Also, any chance of getting Carter a uniform that fits? This one is just embarrassing. And the answer to that question that no wise man asks? Yes. It does.

Anonymous said...

Just listening to the 'Sunday' commentary on the DVD and Martin Gero mentions that supposedly there was an alternate ending written where Beckett doesn't die and it was undecided right up to the last minute which would be used. Is this true? And if it was, why was the decusion made to kill him? Also, why did N. John Smith say that the character was only 'disappearing' when he leaked word about Paul McGillion no longer being main cast?

Anonymous said...

I had fantastic barbeque in Kelwona of all places. The Memphis Blues Barbeque House has the best platter I've had outside the South and the only BBQ poutine I've ever seen! They're in Vancouver too, you should check them out.

Anonymous said...

You'll be pleased to hear that quite wisely the youtube downloads have been jumped on and stopped, which is potentially good for ratings even if it does mean that the foreign branch eg. me, will have to wait a while to see the episodes.

But, hey, the script was good at least. I heard somewhere that Alan McCullough who wrote this and Tabula Rasa is a newbie - any chance that he'll be around again for season five? I've been quite impressed with what he's done to date.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said:
If the ratings for Torri's eps are significantly higher than the rest of the 'not performing so well' season four, will you rethink your "That character must go" stance, and realise that yes, she is actually popular, and does have a significant fan base?

You know, I still miss Elizabeth, but even if the ratings are higher for those episodes, how can you say that it's because Elizabeth's back? Mid seasons finales/premieres usually have higher ratings. The show could very well get a higher rating for causes completely unrelated to Elizabeth being or not being there.

As of "the rest of the 'not performing so well' season four"... well, the show is performing well enough to get a season 5, and it's not like in the second half of season 3 was getting higher ratings than now, so I don't see the point in thinking bringing back Elizabeth would increase the ratings. The same with Carson.
As much as I love Elizabeth and Carson and miss them, I don't see how anyone can be sure that having any of them back would increase the ratings (as I said, it's not like the ratings in the second half of season 3 were astronomically better... The show was getting 1.1s and 1.2s...).

The same anonymous also said:
"You wouldn't believe how many people at the Springfield convention were saying they love Weir, and the loss of her has led to them no longer watching. They're just watching reruns of seasons 1-3 instead."

No offense, but that doesn't mean much in the bigger scheme. When you go to a con with one or two actors from a show, those attending WILL be fans of those characters/actors. They wouldn't be attending the con otherwise. And those fans of said actors will be pissed off and yes, many stopped watching the show because their fave actor wasn't there anymore. But there's no way you can extrapolate that behavior to the general audience of the show.
As of the reruns... well, I guess they must not be watching it in syndication, because The Real World got a 0.7 rating, according to Sci Fi Wire. Other season 3 episodes got 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.9. How are those numbers better than the ratings season 4 is currently having?

Anonymous said...

If the writer's strike lasts into the new year, do you think SciFi might delay showing the rest of season 4?

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe, having spent the weekend watching season 3 on dvd (I have 1 episode to go), I just wanted to say that with Stargate Atlantis - there is not one episode I have not enjoyed watching. I have not been able to say that about any of the TV series' that I have watched and followed over theyears.

WELL DONE!! (((hugs)))

BTW, (1) I am unable to view the Joe strummer video. has it been removed???

(2) When I attended the Expo in Auckland on the weekend of 20-21 Oct, the picture I asked JoeF to sign, (Harmony shoot in Widgen park - Joe sitting in his chair with a book looking at the camera) came from your blog; but judging from his reaction and questions, I am guessing he didnt't know it had been taken. Sorry if I get you in trouble.

Anonymous said...

Just popping in to say I enjoyed The Seer.. but I was slightly shredded after a long day of trudging round a convention.. hence I will need to rewatch before offering my usual succint, insightful (and other clever adjective) thoughts for your consideration... :D

Anonymous said...

Have you ever played Sims/Sims 2? I don't know if your into that kind of stuff, but you can kill people in up to 15 different ways (If you have all the expansions, like me. I tend to get addicted to stuff. Like a certain TV show...)

P.S. It's stargatemagic. Not Stargatemagic. Unless you're trying to be grammatically correct, even though it's a name. Whatever, never mind.

Anonymous said...

What do you think of Reeces? I like the new Reeces bars. With the caramel? Yum.