Saturday, November 10, 2007

November 10, 2007






Paul first pitched out the idea late in season 3: “We go to the planet, but the Athosians aren‘t there. They‘re missing.” I was intrigued: “Where’d they go?”. “I don’t know,”he shrugged. “What happened to them?”I pressed. “I don’t know,”he repeated. A year and a half later, we finally know and by WE I mean those involved in the production of Atlantis’s fourth season. WE know, but WE ain’t telling because the revelation is the key to a major arc we kick off in Missing. It was to be, at the time we got together to brainstorm the idea, the impetus for Teyla’s dark turn - an exploration of her character that we were poised to follow through on - until we learned that Rachel was pregnant. Congratulations were in order! Congratulations and a quick reconsideration of the game plan. On the one hand, this curveball forced us to rethink the arc we had envisioned. On the other hand, it afforded us the opportunity to develop a different aspect of the character - and throw our own curveball into a hitherto comfortable friendship. But more on that interesting little development in the coming weeks. Yeah, again, WE know, but WE ain’t telling.

So, what is everyone reading? I assume the answer is: “The White Plague and Book One of Stephen King’s Dark Tower series of course” as these are the books we’ll be discussing in two weeks as part of Joe’s Books of the Month Club. I will, of course, be getting around to reading them - but at the moment, I’ve just started on this month’s BOTM runners-up: Lord Valentine’s Castle and The Doomsday Book. So far so great. Here’s hoping the winning books prove just as engaging. I look forward to hearing feedback from all of you - and also look forward to hearing what occasional contributors to this blog Baron Destructo and Cookie Monster have to say as they have expressed interest in joining this month’s discussion. They have also expressed interest in co-hosting a weekly special feature for this blog, a sort of point/counter-point in which they will discuss and debate the hard-hitting news of the week covering everything from celebrity scandals to t.v high/low-lights. How could I refuse?

143 comments and counting! Carl is going to have a busy Sunday. Well, allow me to tackle the non-Carl-directed queries…

LostCityGuardian writes: “If you're not going to be a showrunner, would you be roped in as a SGU writer then, in the same way that RCC is not an SGA executive producer but writes for you guys?”

Answer: Roped in? We don’t rope anyone in. We usually just lock the doors and don’t let people leave until they’ve written at least one script. As for who will be writing on SGU - way too early to tell.

Jenny R. writes: “Have any other episodes ever made the writers/producers cry while watching?”

Answer: Yeah. Irresponsible had me in tears, but for completely different reasons.

Fingolfin high king writes: “Is it true that at one point the Wraith Scout Ship was to be featured in a shot (As hinted by the ship design pics)?”

Answer: Nope. Wrong episode.

Lauren writes: “Joe, why are you sometimes so curt to people who express their dislike of Carter (or Weir leaving, etc.)? I'm not talking about the people who are rude first--I've seen more than a few people who've left comments that made me cringe with embarrassment--but I've also seen some polite, well thought out questions and comments that you've responded to in the same tone as the horrible ones.”

Answer: Clearly we disagree on what is considered impolite or disrespectful. There are plenty of regular visitors to this blog who have made it very clear that they disagree with some of the creative decisions that have been made, and they have done so in a pointed yet respectful manner. I have neither rejected their posts nor have I belittled their opinions.

Anonymous #1 writes: “So got in touch with Michael so is a proboble turning back into priority again?”

Answer: I’m not sure what you mean. Even if something is of the highest priority, unless it’s a confirmed done deal, nothing is definite.

Anonymous #2 writes: “Keller must go. I've never seen such a spineless character.”

Answer: You mean besides fan-favorite Rodney McKay, don’t you?

Sparky writes: “ I was wondering if a fan from Belgium (myself ;)) would ask you for a signature, would you sent it to her?”

Answer: Sure.

Anonymous #3 writes: “We are honeymooning in Montreal, any romantic dinner suggestions?”

Answer: Head down to Old Montreal for a romantic dinner and stroll.

Katherine19 a ecrit: “1°)lisez vous des fanfictions ? 2) supportez vous un couple sur atlantis ?”

Reponses: Non et non.

Anonymous #4 writes: “If this guy is supossed to be her crush, mentioned in Sunday, then you have made a big mistake, I'm afraid.”

Answer: Or the individual she mentioned in Sunday is not “this guy”.

Semisweet writes: “She's a doctor, for crying out loud! How could she EVER be capable of doing surgery if she's as spineless as this?”

Answer: I’d say there’s a big difference between keeping your cool performing surgery and keeping your cool while on the run from a band of savage cannibals.

112 comments:

Unknown said...

I've alway wondered: Do Sci-Fi Show Writers (Like you) enjoy watching other sci-fi shows?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, again, WE know, but WE ain’t telling.

GAH! You... you.... you... arghhh!! :D

Anonymous said...

P.S. That first picture of Lulu? Quite possibly the cutest thing I've ever seen! :D

Dori said...

Joe

What are you trying to do to us? Those big beautiful brown eyes.. Don't you just want to take them up and squeeze them.. they are gorgeous.. I think you should make a spot for them on the show.. especially Lulu Campbell..

DOri

Anonymous said...

Talk about a fabulous episode! Missing was phenomenal, and I laugh at all the fans who do not read your blog and are therefore in agony over the cliffhanger ending...;)

Anonymous said...

Carl (And Joe if he so desires):

Missing I think received so much by having a much more dangerous feel to the episode, no one really knew who was going to attack who and just how exactly Teyla and the doctor were going to get out of there. Do you feel that this darker and more dangerous tone that season 4 has is something that will bring back what season 3 missed, or is it just another creative touch that is just another method of making a good series that isn't all that much different then season 2 or 3?

Charles Schneider said...

Thanks for giving us some back story on how "Missing" came to be. It's really cool to see how these episodes evolve from spin sessions to final mix. I'm really looking forward to CBs guest host gig tomorrow. Also, Cookie Monster and the Baron are great ideas for your edition of "Crossfire".

Could you shed some light on the relative political leanings of Cookie Monster and The Baron (e.g. Independent, Neocon, etc).

Jay said...

Long time blog reader and SGA fan but first time poster. First my congratulations on how wonderful season 4 is turning out to be. All of you should be most proud of the accomplishment and I am a very happy weekly (non DVR) viewer.
My thing with Keller in Missing is that I felt like I had been here before. In thinking about it and reflecting on the doctors I have seen over the years (McCoy from ST, Crusher - STTNG, Franklin - Bab 5, Frazier - SG1), they were all sort of variations on what you expect from your doctor - "I don't take lives, I save them!" and "Is THAT a gun? I don't DO guns!"
I think I'd like, at some point to see someone like House in space. Or maybe a good Satedan doctor say "You twisted your ankle? Suck it up and go on!"
No indictment of Jewel or Keller to be found here though, I like her as an actress and I believe the Keller character will work out well.

A side question - The Next Iron Chef, Besh or Symon?

firefly827347 said...

"...Paul, as usual, was impassive - the cold-hearted bastard..."

That from yesterday got me giggling.

I thought of you while I was doing my grocery shopping today. In the UK we have a supermarket chain called Tesco and at the moment it's stocking Christmas present ideas. While walking down the 'toy' aisle I discovered with much glee an Interactive Cookie Monster. It had one of those "try me" buttons on the front and, naturally, curiosity got the better of me. I pushed the button and almost crapped myself when the thing let out a howl of laughter and started shrieking about how much it tickled. The damn thing went on for about 30 seconds, earning me some weird looks from fellow shoppers as they passed. Here's the link if you want to take a look. Sounds like something Lulu would love.

And seeing as you're sending out autographs to Belgium, do you think you could mail one off to Scotland too? ;)

Anonymous said...

To the people who are upset that Teyla is pregnant to a guy we've never seen:

Rachel Luttrell got pregnant in real life and so the writers included it in the series and kept her on the show.

Now obviously they are going to have to write the Teyla baby in with some story and so the boyfriend we haven't seen was apparently added.

They couldn't have Teyla pregnant to one of the regular male cast and so something had to be created for her character.

Personally I think the writers have done well with the situation and having Teyla pregnant to a childhood friend who became something more to her does not make Teyla look bad.

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you for your never-ending patience of all the nay-sayers. I think this season so far is the best. I'm not saying I don't miss characters, but I still enjoy the show. I'd hate to see these people if they watch Lost.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe, I always wondered what would happen if Atlantis left the Athosians behind. I guess I now have something to look forward to.

Meantime, it's off job hunting for me. UGH!! I hate having to explain what the "Diploma in International Travel & Tourism" from City & Guilds Institute of London is and what it would/should mean to a prospective employer. They hear "City & Guilds" and know that I am more qualified than they are - so no return phone call. :(

Anonymous said...

Come on, Joe. You belittle anyone who dares to mention Weir in a positive light.

You've said yourself that you're proud of the fact you got rid of her, because you were part of the decision. Did you stop to think for one moment how your saying that would make the actress feel?

Torri's been nothing but gracious through this whole fiasco.

You're not getting the extra ratings you hoped through getting rid of her and Paul and bringing in Jewel and Amanda. You've been too busy sniping at those who support Torri to actually see the forest for the trees.

Your great move to win ratings has not worked. 0.9? That's a disgraceful result. So is 1.1. The American population is increasing, DVRing is becoming more common, the cable audience is most likely rising if there's an increase in the population, and STILL this show's ratings are a shadow of what they were previously.

Had you kept Elizabeth, and brought in Carter for say 10 episodes, you may have increased the ratings. Getting rid of her entirely, and showing no respect for the actress through your comments about her and the dumping of her from the credits before she's even gone, has done nothing but turn off a lot of fans who actually may have given the show a go.

I'm willing to bet you won't unscreen this, because it contains all the arguments you refuse to acknowledge.

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, your doggies are precious. Is it possible for you to ever say No to those adorable faces?
I like to think of Keller as the female version of McKay. I love them both!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous #2 writes: “Keller must go. I've never seen such a spineless character.”

Answer: You mean besides fan-favorite Rodney McKay, don’t you?


As a fan of Rodney McKay, I think I speak for a lot of us when I say that the episodes where McKay is featured as a "spineless character" are our very least favorites. After 4 years in the field and the Pegasus galaxy, we're supposed to be believe that he hasn't gained any kind of courage or bravery? My absolute biggest fear for this season is more episodes where "McKay is afraid!" is played for laughs. My sister, who had never seen the show before watched an episode with me and actually said "Man, the writers must really hate this guy." That made me really sad.

Bugguy said...

"Semisweet writes: “She's a doctor, for crying out loud! How could she EVER be capable of doing surgery if she's as spineless as this?”

Answer: I’d say there’s a big difference between keeping your cool performing surgery and keeping your cool while on the run from a band of savage cannibals."

I don't know hospital administrators can be pretty savage, although they tend not to be able to run very fast.

Anonymous said...

Answer: I’d say there’s a big difference between keeping your cool performing surgery and keeping your cool while on the run from a band of savage cannibals.

Well, yes and no. Have you ever seen a first-year resident jockeying for a position at the best hospital in town? Talk about your bands of savage cannibals!

Fans of all stripes can debate a lot of things about Keller's character, but I think that many of us understand what it takes to become a doctor. In terms of the physical and psychological characteristics necessary to be chosen for the Atlantis mission, it would seem that someone with tremendous backbone would be needed to provide medical treatment in and of itself, let alone be promoted to CMO.

So the complaints aren't about Keller as a nice person. I mean, Katie Brown's a nice person. But lives hanging in the balance can't be trusted to someone who has been written as too spineless to save even herself in a bad situation. Keller's whole big deal about going off world and will the Athosians like me and it's all so new and different and blah-blah comes at the wrong time for us because we know how vital her role is and how tough she absolutely needs to be.

That said, for me personally, Keller's an okay character with potential. I'm not loving her like I did Carson, but in time she may grow a thicker skin and behave with more maturity and courage.

*steps off soapbox*

RebeccaH said...

Lulu has the sweetest little face. Is she on her way to becoming your favorite?

Cheers,
RebeccaH

Emily said...

I LOVE that picture of Lulu with the giant ears silhouette. Did Batman end up flying in thinking someone had called for him? I hope that's not the "help" symbol for Baron Destructo...

Seriously though, is there anything more adorable on dogs than giant sticky-up ears? I have a 5 yr old 3 lb Yorkshire Terrier with gigantic ears (well, in proportion to the rest of her). Cutest. Thing. Ever. (But I have to admit that Lulu gives her a run for her money)

Victoria said...

Answer: I’d say there’s a big difference between keeping your cool performing surgery and keeping your cool while on the run from a band of savage cannibals.

True that. You could totally see a change in her personality when dealing with patients, i.e. Nable. She was adament that she was allowed time to stitch him up.

I, for one, like Keller. People seem to forget that it's actually SCARY being in life or death situations because we always follow a team of combat trained warriors (yes, even Rodney- he's grown a lot since season 1!). So, thank you! I appreciated Keller very much. :D

Randonomity said...

Will Carter and Weir enjoy some screen-time together in "this mortal coil"? I was a bit dissapointed that they didnt get too in adrift or lifeline.

AscendedTauri said...

'Missing' was another great episode! This season has been terrific. I wanted to be objective, but I seriously keep loving these episodes. Love the possible long-term story-arcs arising from 'Missing'.

Has SGU been formally proposed to SciFi network for pick-up? If not, do you know when it will be, or when we'll hear about a pick-up decision?

Anonymous said...

In the future, would you please translate the French questions that you answer (and your answer)? I try using Babelfish, and usually I can get the gist of it, but there are a lot of words it can't translate. Thank you.

Joshua Meyers said...

what's the sleeper ship episode in it's raw form before 'aurora' was spawned? Was Prototype spawned from the episode with the other goa'uld hybrid girl?

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe and everyone, I don't what everyones (or shall some peoples) problem with the character of Keller so far. I think she is a great addition. I am mean I wouldn't call her "spineless" or wimp, but she really shows what it would be like to be taken out of her comfort zone. She is someone who seems comfortable in the infirmery but not off world. The Missing gives a good opportunity to grow, and to see how this experience really affects her. I am really looking forward to seeing what her reactions/emotions are in Trio.
hey Joe, i really appreciate all the references to Carson and his work. that means a lot, it seems after Sunday he was only mentioned once (First Strike). He is gone, but not forgotten. I just hope that Keller will not live in the shadow of Beckett.

Blaine Nielsen

Joshua Meyers said...

Answer: Yeah. Irresponsible had me in tears, but for completely different reasons

Is that because you dreaded the episode and it was finally over?

Joshua Meyers said...

I know you have your opinions of those who dislike your 'creative decisions', however i cannot fathom a reason why the public would dislike 'the shankster'being on atlantis, can you?

majorsal said...

hi, joe,

are there going to be any bonding-type scenes between sam and teyla in season 4? if not, what -if any- will their relationship be like?



sally :D

Thornyrose said...

Nice pics. Thanks for the reminder on the BotM club deal; have to dig up a copy of White Plague(passing on King's Dark Tower).
So, Teyla was supposed to explore her dark side before the pregnacy became an issue? Any possibility we'll see that exploration resumed in season five?(or better yet season 6)
Would Baron Destructo be interesting in assisting a plot to win one of the mega-million dollar lotteries? I figure its the only way I'll ever scrape up enough money to bribe more clues out of you on upcoming events.
Speaking of which, another stroke of genius on the idea of a weekly forum with the Baron and Cookie Monster. Though I think even that duo is going to be hard put to make me laugh as much as your response to Jenny R did...

Anonymous said...

Salut Joe,
Est-ce que tu penses que dans la cinquieme saison,Mckay va decouvrir que Sam est avec Jack?

Anonymous said...

Oh Joe.

You are crazy fun.

Let's see... I liked Missing, but I tend to like team episodes the most. However, being a Shep fan, I adored Travelers.. but that's only for selfish reasons. Hehe. But, I thought it was great for Teyla development. And, so far I'm not too fond of Keller, but she got better towards the end of the episode so hopefully I'll feel the same about her in the long run.

I do have two questions though:

-Does Keller dislike Shep?

Odd question, I know. It's just theres been a few line-deliveries and looks that give me a feeling she's just not very fond of him. May just be the actress' decisions, or I may be crazy.

And secondly,

- The last scene of Missing with Teyla and Sheppard... He seemed pretty baffled by her reaction, and rightly so. He probably hasn't seen her act so darkly before. Is this foreboding some angst or off feelings between the two in the future?

Just something we've been discussing in the boards.

Anyways, you're dogs are simply adorable. I am proud to call myself a dog-person :)

Night-night Joe!

Unknown said...

I tend to lurk in the shadows and read your blog without commenting, but I have to chime in here and say that I throughly enjoyed Missing. In my opinion, the best episode of the season so far. :)

I love Jewel Staite (from her Firefly days mostly), and I'm looking forward to seeing more of her in the future.

suse said...

Anonymous said:
"You've said yourself that you're proud of the fact you got rid of her, because you were part of the decision.
"
Anonymous,

Quotes with dates and times please. Thanks.

Or must you make 'erroneous' comments while in hiding because there is no fact to what you said?

suse

faithchan said...

Ok, I liked "Missing" a lot. I really liked the development in Teyla that we've seen in the past two episodes.

As much as I miss Carson, I still like Keller, even more so after this weeks episode. She is NOT the tough as nails, battle hardened, and not to be messed with kind of woman that populates much of this genre.
I think we women may WANT to be like Teyla and Carter and Weir; but we CAN be like Keller. I'm really glad to see her, and look forward to watching her develop.

Oh, and I REALLY feel bad for anyone watching the show who DOESN'T know Rachel was pregnant, cuz that ending would be quite mean. I'm glad it finally got addressed, though. Her outfit in "Tabula Rasa" was only doing so much to cover the tummy. :)

Unknown said...

First of all, I want Lulu. Not a dog like Lulu, I think she'll suffice :) Or at least continued pictures of her.

I'm really shocked multiple people called Keller spineless. That's just not cool. I found her incredibly relatable and realistic. If she handled the situation without an ounce of fear and without any missteps people would be complaining that she was unrealistic and probably obnoxious, along with other strong complaints. Can't seem to catch a break when it comes to some people.

If it's not too late to be sent out I have a question for Carl regarding the mention of Wraith worshippers in Missing. Was this mentioned as a red herring to the actual bad guy, or is this foreshadowing towards a bigger arc of Wraith worshippers?

Anonymous said...

Oh, cute dog pictures!

I'm sorry, but Keller is really annoying. She is so prissy! It's not like she has food allergies or can only eat Kosher, so I don't see why she has to complain about the food.

"Answer: Yeah. Irresponsible had me in tears, but for completely different reasons"
I understand. The episode was so awful that I could not even stand to watch the whole thing (sorry).

Are there any Sam episodes in season four? It's nice that's she's on Atlantis now but she hasn't actually done very much so far this season. It's kind of annoying.

PG15 said...

7-by-7 Joe, 7-by-7. No Atlantis season has done this so far...heck, even SG1 hasn't done it. "Missing" was great and a real surprise for me as I didn't expect to like it this much.

Anyway, here's my regular review, as always.

It's probably too late to leave a comment for Carl, but still, I thought he did a WONDERFUL job developing Teyla's character and fleshing out Keller's character. Tell him I said that, ok? Thanks.

Jedi said...

Hi Joe,

Question: how come Joe F never takes his shirt off on a episode anymore?
Does his wife not like him doing it on the show for some reason or is it his own choice?

If it has to do with the squee factor we can handle it.

Anonymous said...

'Missing' was a great episode. While I can certainly understand Keller's less-than-brave behavior in the face of scary alien cannibals, I kept waiting for Teyla to tell her to "put on your big girl panties and get over it!"
Or the Athosian version thereof.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for my Kirby Morrow fix. Will the Daedalus be making an appearance anytime soon?

Anonymous said...

Joe,
Wat(my wife) saw LuLu pic on your blog now she wants not one but 2 Pughs. I tried to put my foot down and say no but it looks like we are getting 2 pughs.Did I give in to easy???

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr. Mallozzi. I know it's late and all, but I just wanted to tell you that Tabula Rasa and Missing (in my opinion) were supremely awesome episodes. I loved seeing McKay suck it up and take charge and thought it paralleled nicely with the growth that Dr. Keller went through with Teyla.

Since Mr. Carl might get to see this, I just want to tell him that I loved the direction Teyla took. I didn't mind Keller in this episode either because I thought the way she acted was completely believable.

Can't wait for the next episode!

Jenny Robin said...

For Carl:

You are my most favorite person involved with SGA by the name of Carl. I may very well be your #496 fan.

And I don't believe what Joe says about you; I choose to believe you're a first-class fellow and a damn good writer.

And remember...paint with all the colors of the wind, babycakes.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe, loved this week's episode! I especially like how you developed Keller's character. Previously, I wasn't too enthusiatic about her, but after watching Missing, I really like her. You guys did a great job fleshing her out.

By Teyla's dark turn, do you mean she goes evil/bad guy, or just that we see the less friendly, loving side of her?

Also, what happened to Joe F's hair? =( it looks kind of funny. Missing his season 1-3 hair.

But overall, awesome season so far!

Archana S said...

Regarding chocolate:

Cadbury's or Hershey's?
Dark, milk or white?
Hot chocolate or iced?
Is white chocolate real chocolate?
Chocolate or death?

Anonymous said...

I am sure I read something about Robert Davi returning as Kolya - Although his character seemed pretty dead last time we saw him. Am I crazy or is this something that is actually happening?

Thanks!

Archana S said...

Oh, and I'd like to add that I really like Keller, because she's the type of woman that normal women can relate to. It's okay to be scared when you are being chased by cannibals, whether you're a doctor or not. In fact if anything, more so when you're a doctor because you know what kinds of pain they can inflict upon you.

I'd also like to say that I've really enjoyed this season so far. Boo to the naysayers, I think the production team, the cast and crew have all been great so far. All the best for the future and season 5!

Anonymous said...

Ronon must go, I've never seen such a spineless character in all of Sci-Fi, seriously a gust of wind could blow Ronon over, he needs to be replaced before he costs the team their lifes :OOOOOO

Ivana said...

First, I know many of you miss Beckett, me too. But, COME ON, give Keller a chance. I like her, she's not Beckett of course, nevertheless I like her. She's new, she needs to settle in.
And Jewel is fantastic, really. So, I think that Keller deserves a chance, like anybody else.

Okay, damn it, I've forgotten what I wanted to say...

Second, Joe, sending a signature even to Vienna? :)

Have a nice Sunday!!

NZ_Jackie said...

Hey question time:

When editing "Missing" did you just want to make us yell at the Screen at the End???

NZJ

Anonymous said...

1) have you talked to shanks about season five atlantis? 2) is there a big story act for season five?

Anonymous said...

Joe, I would like to say that i have been reading your blog for a few months now! I thought that i would tell you that i have found it to be amazing! I am fairly new to the forum thing! I also want to tell you that your doggies are so cute! Being an animallover that i am! I really like the way you answer peoples questions! I also wish to tell you that i think you are a really good writer!
I am a huge sci fi fan! Are you going to do some of the writing on the third series of Stargate?
Just wish to say thanks to you for such a great blog!

Cathie

Anonymous said...

Joe, any chance we could persuade you to invite RDA for a visit to Atlantis in Season 5? Seriously, how much chocolate would it take?

Unknown said...

staite is kool as keller. any news on her sticking around for season five? say its so.

can the seer tell me whats in my future? :P

♥ANAIS♥ said...

Salut Joseph!!

Ohhh Merci pour ces petites photos, vraiment trop chou^^!

Je suis heureuse que vous avez répondu a Katerine 19^^ c'est une amis de blog^^!

Outch moi j'ai eu plus de 400 commentaire hier, c'est vraiment super!

Hier j'ai crée mon profil sur "myspace" Il n'y a rien a faire..myspace,twitter,blog,forum, MSN...je ne peut m'empêcher de méttre du "Joseph".
Si vous saviez comment je suis accro!! c'est incroyable! je pense a vous au moin 25 foix par jours! Piou je suis totalement fan!!

Mes questions:
1)Tenez vous compte des idées des fans pour la saison 5?
2)Quand avez vous l'intention de commencer le tournage de la saison 5?
3)Vous aimez la poésie?


VOila, Merci, a demia!! je vous aime!!(mais sa vous le savez lol)
KISOU!

Anonymous said...

I think some fans have forgotten just how little time Keller has been on SGA. Carson was gone toward the end of last season and it was not long after that Keller was forced to take over.

Performing brain surgery is nothing like having blood-thirsty butt-ugly cannibals chasing you down.

I think it's safe to say that because of this and other experiences along the way, Keller will mature, become more confident and be a stronger person.

I prefer Carson back, but I sure wouldn't want him or Keller unless they can grow and change when faced with challenges. Keller had changed by the end of the episode.

My question for Mr. Binder: What is your favorite SGA episode and why?

Jen, heart traveler said...

I didn't have many expectations for "Missing". I thought, hm how could being trapped on a planet (once again) be original? I should know, duh Atlantis always keeps me entertained and amused. I think more people need to tell themselves that. If you like the show, sit down, shut up and watch it. Complaining just ruins it for everyone else.

Anyway, I can see where it was going with the dark turn. Is it possibly popping up later? I liked the ending in particular, it was quite a cliffhanger. Of course many of us know the secret, but watching it unfold is most of the fun. I don't see why everyone was nitpicking at Dr. Keller. Her reactions sure made sense to me. Even Dr. Beckett seemed pretty freaked out in the beginning. I think she redeemed herself by shooting the "Genii" fella in the leg.

The episode kept surprising me, which is hard to do tv-wise nowadays. The lollipops were a great touch. Whose idea was that?

I love the dog pictures. They seem expectant, were you holding a lambchop in front of the camera?

Kudos,
Jen

Anonymous said...

Some people are crazy. I enjoyed Missing very much and just because a physician is in Atlantis doesn't mean she's actually been off world before and doesn't mean she'd be completely prepared to deal with going off world. Prepared to go off world, yes, but not prepared to deal with it.

Great job to all the writers this season and I look forward to more! :)

Anonymous said...

The problem with Keller is not her reactions, for some reason though she just seems to rub people the wrong way. A lot of it I suspect is Beckett, his exist and her introduction were so poorly handled (sorry) that I was predisposed to dislike her, and as much as I've tried I just can't seem to get over it.

The second problem is Keller herself, you've said before she's this brilliant young genius capable of handling the pressure etc, and then you (collectively) write her as a wimp (I know the end showed her coming through but it was too sudden, one moment she's every blonde bimbo ever killed in a horror the next she's Buffy! Come on! A little more of a journey would have been nice and would have made the pay off a lot sweeter.) Beyond that there are problems with her age etc, to me she doesn't convince and if I can't believe in the character I can't invest anything IN the character.
I hope it changes and the character improves, but to me at least the way things stand you've traded in a brilliant character - who had a lot of flaws, Beckett was not perfect, but in his case the flaws were part of the attraction - for a lesser character. A shame.

Anonymous said...

As a fan of Rodney McKay, I think I speak for a lot of us when I say that the episodes where McKay is featured as a "spineless character" are our very least favorites. After 4 years in the field and the Pegasus galaxy, we're supposed to be believe that he hasn't gained any kind of courage or bravery? My absolute biggest fear for this season is more episodes where "McKay is afraid!" is played for laughs. My sister, who had never seen the show before watched an episode with me and actually said "Man, the writers must really hate this guy." That made me really sad.

Are you watching the same show that I am because there are PLENTY of episodes where Rodney does act brave despite his fears. Yeah there are still some times when he acts afraid but the habits of a lifetime aren't going to all go away in four years. He's got a lot of issues and he will ALWAYS have them, no matter how much he grows as a character. And yes he HAS gotten better. Did you not see him in Missing shotting at the people despite the arrows getting shot at him? Did you not see him reenter John's mind in Doppelgagner to save John despite his fears? Did you not see all the other things he's done despite being scared?

I'm a Rodney fan, but you definitely aren't speaking for me on this one.

Amz said...

It was strange to not read this blog yesterday. I actually forgot, I've been that busy, but at least it's something fun to catch up on at the end of a tiring day! (however, as today was particularly tiring, please excuse any bad grammer or spelling mistakes).

Oh, sounds like the Baron and Cookie Monster will be keeping busy with social commentary (one of my favourite past times to read and write on).

I'm curious, do you have just a softcover version of The Gunslinger? It's hard to get a hold of one of the earlier editions, but they have some beautiful illustrations (as do the later books in the series). And I'm not usually a fan of illustrations.

Edward4th said...

Good morning. I'm watching our Remembrance Sunday Service on TV. Always a moving sight and a stark reminder of how tenuous and fragile a thing is peace. Watching the representatives from all the countries around the world who rallied in times of desperate need.
Thank you Canada.
edward4th@hotmail.co.uk

Jono Hayward said...

Will Carter be getting some more substantial roles soon, or even episodes centred around her? Or is she destined to be more like General Hammond was in SG1?

Pauline said...

Poor Keller well outside her comfort zone.

When dealing with patients in emergency situations most professionals, to some extent, operate on automatic pilot you are trained to think and do the appropriate actions.

If the patient has a Cardiac Arrest carry out A and B and if necessary throw in a little bit of C.

Where do they prepare you to run for your life from Cannibals please, I ask you?

I would like to see Rodney performing Cardiac massage, I was taught on a recent refresher course to do chest compressions while singing (in my head) ‘Nelly the Elephant packed her bags and said goodbye to the circus …etc.’

If I kept time with the fast pace of the rhythm I would be able to do 15 compressions to every one (mouth to mouth) breath.

Rodney singing that song out loud while saving one of the team would be priceless.

So leave Keller alone she’s not Carson Beckett and not meant to be. Her character will develop, life experience will help define her, and given a chance she will grow.
Sunday morning rant over.
Pauline

OhioAnne said...

Get off Keller's case.

Haven't any of you woken in the middle of the night to a strange noise in another room? Or come back to your house to find a door hanging open (because of the wind, but you don't know that at first)?

At least for a moment - before you get a moment to rationalize or explain the situation in your own mind - you have that clutch of fear in your heart. In that moment being able to walk at all would be an accomplishment for me - let alone climb a rope bridge or run, dodging attack.

Even in her worst moments, she did well by just keeping going. Teyla had been dodging attack all her life. Both acted realistically for the experience that they had.

As to the "but is he the father of the baby?" question that Joe has thrown into the discussion (referring to the Athosian that Teyla mentioned) .....

... that still leaves my original choice open .... at least for the moment. I sort of assumed the baby would stay with the Athosians, but, if they are missing all season, that would not be possible. The next rational (safe) choice would be Earth - possibly with the baby's father's family - the Lorens. ;-)

Now, the producers know already if I am full of it, but it is "a" credible theory at this point. While Shepherd may have been entertaining thoughts of him and Teyla "one day", she may have been already involved with someone enough enough like him to have him say "Why not me?" - putting a monkey wrench into an otherwise comfortable friendship.

Guess that I will have to keep watching and find out.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,

WOW!
"Missing" was AMAZING!
It was great to see some in-depth character study of Teyla and Dr. Keller. The ladies did a fabulous job. And special kudos to Jewel for going across that rope bridge, no way would I even attempt that...YIKES! The Bola Kai with the lollipop was a riot! Another episode that just seemed to go by so quickly and kept me on the edge of my seat. This season is by far the best. Congrats to everyone.

Oh and another congratulations on the People's Choice Nomination.

Edward4th said...

BTW forgot to say howmuch I love the pics of the pooches especially Lulu and the Ears of Hugeness.

Anonymous said...

Since SGA and SG1 have viewers from all over the world can you please translate your blog into every language that they have been shown in so as that all the fans who want to do so can enjoy your blog. Thanks!

WolfenM said...

JoeM wrote:

Unless the Stargate universe gets House and Survivor.


Hey, Keller mentioned Survivor in "Missing", so we know that's there at least! ;)

And on the note of the question you were replying to in the first place .... Any chance we'll encounter more non-human races -- beaides the Wraith, the Asurans, and the crystalline entities -- in season 4? Maybe even something more animalistic, like the Iratus bugs or that weird beast of burden that was in the movie?

Oh, I meant to say before, glad to hear your tests came back good, and sorry to hear about your eye but glad you're getting better! (Hmmm, maybe I should have given you an eyepatch in that drawing instead of the mask ...)

And congrats on the People's Choice nomination. Once upon a time, I confess, I would have chosen Doctor Who, no contest ... but I wasn't really impressed with their last season at all, and you guys have been blowing me away (in season 3 as well). And BSG wasn't ever even in the running in my book -- SG-1 should have been nominated instead!I guess it's just as well that it wasn't, though, because then I'd really have a hard time deciding!

Anonymous said...

Hi, On behalf of all fangirls, Will there be a shirtless sheppard scene this season???
-Amy

scifan said...

Dear Joe and Carl,
First I want to say that I really think that Rachel and Jewel did a great job on their rolls. I laughed with the bad guys eating the lollipops. ROFL. And the arrow comment from Ronon to Rodney was great!. Kudos to all involved.
1)Can I assume that we will eventually meet Kanan and if yes, can you say who will play him?
2)In Sunday commentary, it was said that Teyla had a crush on Shep, can you say why the change of heart?
Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,

I noticed at one of the boards that some people would be happy to get SG-1 movie WITHOUT both Mitchell and Vala. Do you think this would be good idea alienating Claudia and Ben's fans just like that? I know for sure I'm going to boycott a movie without them.

Anonymous said...

Your dogs are cute as ever, Joe!

I just have to say, I noticed an interesting amount of comments against Keller. She hasn't been my favorite this season, but after Friday's ep, I actually have come to like her character more. I'm a little surprised many felt the opposite. I thought it was great character development for both her and Teyla.

Anonymous said...

Will Nabel resurface with surprising answers regarding his true intentions?

Anonymous said...

Awww, such cute little faces! Is their continued adoration of you or was it mealtime?

Alan said...

While I think the Keller spinlessness was a little overdone in Missing, I do see what you guys were trying to do and bravo for not trying to make her perfect and making her a fallible human character. Not enough of those in modern TV.
Will we see more of Keller's fears and possibly her overcoming some of them in upcoming episodes? Any in particular?
And will we see more of the Bola Kai this season? I'm fascinated already!

Mel said...

I know some people are rather... unfond of Keller for numerous reasons, none of which I feel the need to dispute, but I must say that for me, I don't find her extreme discomfort at being in a new and frightening situation unrealistic or distasteful for the character.

When I'm in my comfort zone, I'm nearly a totally different person than when I am not. Not all the characters can be intrepid explorers with nerves of steel. Carson and Rodney certainly didn't start that way. I'm really enjoying season 4 so far, despite the numerous changes that I incipiently looked forward to with dread. I can't wait to see what happens next. (And I'm so glad I read your blog, 'cause that last cliffhanger would have just about killed me!!)

Oh, and I love the shot of your pooches! So cute!

Anonymous said...

Talked to Mike! Very, very cool. Is it too early to put in a request for a shirtless extremely whumped Daniel and a shirtless extremely whumped Shep in the same episode for S5? *sigh* Yes I'm shallow.

Unknown said...

*waves*

"Jenny R. writes: “Have any other episodes ever made the writers/producers cry while watching?”

Mr M says: Yeah. Irresponsible had me in tears, but for completely different reasons."

Oh Mr M why did you have to mention that ep! *cries* Well at least you're in good company. ;) LOL

Any chance that can be salvaged? Not the ep, please no, just Kolya. :D

*hugs*

*waves to Carl

Anonymous said...

Please tell Mr. B that Otto Preminger was the second Mr. Freeze. I'm sure McKay would know that George Sanders was the first and Eli Wallach the third Mr Freeze.

IMDb's Mr. Freeze Page

Anne Teldy

Über said...

I suppose I'm too late to post a question/comment for Carl to answer (DOH) but I'll do it anyway just in case.

Carl...

I really enjoyed Missing. I loved the contrast and balance Jennifer and Teyla were to and for each other...how they were essentially polar opposites in terms of both upbringing and mentality (peaceful healer vs. warrior), and yet each helped the other when they needed it most which in turn made each one that much stronger. For instance, I love how even though Teyla was hurt and enraged by what happened to her people, she was able to see past it to Keller's genuine fear and encouraged her to think about her her home and family, which in turn helped her focus on something beyond her anger. Likewise, Jen stood strong for what she believed in...she challenged herself to move beyond her fears and blossomed into someone ready and willing to fight to protect her friends.

That was a bit long-winded I suppose; but all of the above is to say I thoroughly enjoyed this pairing and this episode. My only negative...no Carter!! :(

Here are my questions:

1. Will we have a chance to see more of this duo this year or will we have to wait until next year?

2. Are we going to see and learn more about the Bola Kai or were they only meant to be used in this episode to throw us off the scent as to what happened to the Athosians and to make us scared for Keller/Teyla?

3. What on earth were Jewel and Rachel really eating when their characters ate from that ground squid...thing?

4. Who was Nabel really? Former Genii operative? Wraith worshipper? And how did he escape the Bola Kai when he was tied up and stabbed like that...or was he even taken by the Bola Kai to begin with? Perhaps he was lying about that too. Will we see him again? If so, when?

5. What happened to the Athosians??? (Hey, I had to at least ask) ;)

Thank you again for a very enjoyable hour of Stargate Atlantis.

Mary Beth :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,

I'm usually a lurker but I just wanted to say how I'm really enjoying this season so far and the new characters. I look forward to the rest of the season.

Also, on a totally different note -
University of Hawaii beat Fresno State 37-30. Woo!

Anonymous said...

throw our own curveball into a hitherto comfortable friendship

Hmmm...if this is John/Teyla, I hope the curveball isn't the pregnancy itself but a result of her shift in priorities or something of that nature. I really like their friendship, and I'd find it very disappointing if something as banal as jealousy became a serious issue.

Anonymous said...

Hi Joe,
Will we see Sam and Cam's promotions to full-bird on screen in "Ark of Truth" or they will be acknowledged like in season 4?

morgia said...

Morgia a ecrit: “Je me suis rendu compte que tu ne réponds jamais (ou presque) aux personnes qui t'écrivent en français…”

Reponse: “J'ai répondu à des questions françaises dans le passé et continuerai à les repondre. Il tout dépend du type de question demandé.”

Ha! Ha ! J'adore cette réponse, c'est ce qu'on appelle une réponse: «Et vlan dans les dents !»
Hummm, il faut donc que je trouve des questions intéressantes... Est-ce que vous faites de la récupération sur les plateaux de tournage de SGA, parce qu'avec la quantitité de gens qui boivent du café dans des tasses jetables,ça fait un méchant paquet de déchets...
Il me semble qu'elle est pas pire celle-là ? En plus, elle contient un aspect social et écologique, tout en ayant un sujet SGA. Elle est comme qui dirait vraiiiiiment intéressante ! (Je sais, je sais, je délire un peu...)
À bon entendeur salut,

Rants and other Insanities said...

Doctor's save lives,they do not take them. Keller is far from home and in a violent situation that she has never encoutered before. Why wouldn't she be scared and out of her depth. I think she did great. She did rally towards the end and shoot one of the bad guys in the leg.

Mad Man said...

I miss Carson a lot, and I miss Weir a lot, but I have to say I really liked Keller's development, I really don't get why people are whining about Keller. Do people seem to forget how much Carson whined in the first season of going offworld or dealing with technology???? He was a wimp himself! But only when it didn't count, when it counted Carson was tough, same goes for Keller.

Look bitch and complain about Carson being gone, fine, but please just stop looking for excuses to hate Keller. It is so bloody annoying.

Mad Man said...

Also, being in an emergency room is completely different form being chased down by cannibals. I mean, I would like to see people here deal withthe situation keller had to deal with. When you have to o and heal people, that is completely the opposite then being required to take their lives.

morgia said...

Heuuu, je viens de m'appercevoir qu'il y a une petite poubelle pour «suprimer» sur chacun de mes commentaires de votre blog. Je suis un peu mal à l'aise... Est-ce un message ? Moi en tout cas je me trouvais ben drôle dans mes commentaires... Suis-je sur la black list ?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous (what a surprise) said...
Come on, Joe. You belittle anyone who dares to mention Weir in a positive light.

You've said yourself that you're proud of the fact you got rid of her, because you were part of the decision. Did you stop to think for one moment how your saying that would make the actress feel?


What's that you say? He had the temerity to defend the creative decisions that it's his job to be involved in? What an unspeakable villain! How dare he?

And all that gloating about how glad he is to have gotten rid of Torri and all the mean, horrible things he's said about her... oh, wait a minute. That never actually happened, did it?

I get that you like and support Torri and obviously feel some need to defend her but I'm pretty sure she'd be quite horrified to see the behaviour some of her "fans" are displaying in her name. I'm looking forward to meeting her in Manchester next weekend - and which kind of fans do you think she will be happiest about meeting.. those who thank her for her work on the show, express their gratitude and enjoyment of her work and their sadness that she isn't in the show any more.. or those who make sure to tell her how wrongly treated she has been and that assure her that they've defended her honour by attacking the friends and colleagues she spent 3+ years working with?

Über said...

EEP!!!

I just realized I forgot to say "thank you." Sooo...

Thank you, Carl, for taking time out to answer our questions and thank you, Joe, for setting it all up.

:)

Unknown said...

I am humbled-The King is dead-long live the King!

I salute your Browns sir.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said:
Had you kept Elizabeth, and brought in Carter for say 10 episodes, you may have increased the ratings. Getting rid of her entirely, and showing no respect for the actress through your comments about her and the dumping of her from the credits before she's even gone, has done nothing but turn off a lot of fans who actually may have given the show a go.



You know I've had my differences with Joe, ahem, I mean my post a few weeks ago shows that...how do I blush on this blog? I blame it on hormones, and a severe case of overreacting and thunkitis...Lol!

Anyway, I have to say, I've NEVER seen Joe been disrespectful to Torri ever. In fact, he hasn't commented on the reason why Weir was reduced out of RESPECT for Torri.

I understand you love Weir etc... but don't you think being rude and making accusations to an executive producer of SGA, is actually not going to make him want to bring Weir back, and indeed make him less likely to take your views seriously? It's also undoing all the good a lot of Weir fans are doing when they post politely, expressing their views.

Wouldn't it be better to say how disappointed and upset you are, and ask if there's anything you can say or do to help him understand how much you love Weir and Torri?

Just a thought...

As for ratings? How on Earth can anyone know if the ratings would've been better with Weir in the show? We just don't know, do we?

As for the opening credits, I believe that's a contractual thing and isn't anything personal at all.

Aelfgyfu said...

Doomsday Book is brilliant! I hope you enjoy it! (Connie Willis's Passage is perhaps even better, but very different; not really SF, but an outstanding read.)

I like Keller. I understand being whiny (and indeed my two faves, Rodney and Carson, are both champion whiners). I have a different question: why can't she be a more convincing doctor? Jewel Staite is a fine actress; we loved her in both Firefly and Wonderfalls (both sadly cancelled, oddly enough). She certainly has the acting skills. Could someone suggest that she take some first aid and CPR, and that the directors do the same or at least pay more attention? I thought Jewel was great in "First Strike" and the start of s4--except when she was doing CPR or using defibrillators. Wrapping her ankle in "Missing" was the same thing. It kind of wrecks the mood when we're watching serious scenes and start howling, "With a rhythm like that, that patient's dead!" "Shocking the kidneys?" and "Won't get far on that ankle!"

Jewel's too good an actress to do poorly at these medical things, and I don't understand why the directors aren't noticing.

I still want Carson back; I really look forward to seeing Beckett and Keller interact.

Anonymous said...

Ack, no Shep/Teyla people. I'm still watching even though Elizabeth and Carson are gone and Elizabeth was my favorite character. Sheyla would be the only thing that would make me stop watching. Ewww. Okay I'm done with that little rant.

Anyways can Keller die of exploding tumor too? She is extremely annoying.

Anonymous said...

O.K., O.K., O.k., enough with the Keller bashing. I can't take it anymore. Spinelees?? She shot a guy!! and she ate the gross food, she didn't run off screaming once, and she din't give up Atlantis. I will however give you lollipops, since my kid's pediatrician does that too. Teyla did what good leaders do. She kept the people she is responsible for safe. Maybe Keller looked weak, but don't forget ALIEN CANNIBALS, LOTS OF ALIEN CANIBALS All I'm saying is give the the Doc a chance.

morjana said...

Hi, Joe.

I'm assuming because of the recent SciFi Channel schedule change -- they added a repeat of "Tabula Rasa" to SciFi Friday before "Missing" this week -- TiVo apparently got confused -- and didn't record "Missing" Friday, but is scheduled to record the repeat NEXT Friday.

(As I watch BOTH the 10pm and Midnight broadcasts LIVE, I didn't realize this until I went to watch it again on TiVO Saturday morning...sob! )

So...to all the other mixups, snafus, and whatnot, add this one to the list this season.

DARN!

Hope your eye is much improved.

And that Lulu is just too darn cute! :)

Best wishes, Morjana

semisweet said...

Answer: I’d say there’s a big difference between keeping your cool performing surgery and keeping your cool while on the run from a band of savage cannibals.

Possibly, but in both situations lives are at stake. A good doctor needs to have a backbone in order to make life or death decisions. As a member of the Atlantis crew I would hope her decision making skills in the operating room would transfer to other parts of her life. I really can't believe anyone as wimpy or as whiny as Keller was portrayed in this episode would EVER have been considered for an off world assignment.

If her fears had been toned down a bit, made more subtle and definitely not so vocal, then I would have found the situation believable. As it was, I was genuinely surprised that Teyla didn't push her off the bridge herself.

Some may say McKay whines too much so why can't Keller. McKay's whining is almost always interlaced with humor, Keller's was not. That makes a big difference.

Just so you know, I love Jewel and have no problem with Keller joining the team. I just found her behavior over the top, being that she's a top notch doctor. I do miss Carson and Weir very deeply and resent the invasion of SG-1 personnel onto Atlantis but at the same time realize that life is all about change. We can't stop it.

Thanks for listening to me ramble on, Joe. Love you and your blog.

Anonymous said...

I really like Keller as a doctor. I think she has good bedside manners and seems competent and compassionate when dealing with patients. Also ethical, something I can't say for Carson.

re: Missing, someone new to fieldwork could understandably react like that. I doubt even Sheppard would eat the squid guts happily. Plus, suturing an abd wound in the middle of a forest while injured and HUNTED. Keeping those hands steady takes skillz!1!!

OTOH, presumably Keller decided to remain CMO by her own accord, or another doctor would've come along with Carter (or at least supplies, doesn't the SGC know about car/stargate-pooling?). Yet Keller still seems to lack confidence when interacting with the other dept heads. This made sense last season when she was suddenly forced to take Carson's place, but now? I don't know why she'd accept the job and then be timid when recognizing a possible medical situation (Dop.) or 'suggesting' a quarantine (TB). Well, no, I guess she could just be doing the job badly. What's she like in budget meetings, I wonder?

Maybe it was intentional on the director's or Jewel's part to play the character as a bad CMO to show that she's out of her element in a position of leadership. If so, I really hope later episodes deal with this issue. So much potential there!

Let's put it this way, Joe. Do you see a difference between a good screenwriter and a good executive producer? Isn't it possible to create amazing stories and be total crap at running a busy production (unless it's you, who is fantabulous at both, of course)?

abharding said...

While I agree Keller was acting like McKay tends to at times, she reminded me even more of Carson during the first season or so... particularly when he was called on to do something outside of his comfort zone. Or do people forget how he never wanted to go anywhere near the Chair.


Do you have a arc for Keller in mind for this season?

Are we going to learn what happened to the Athosians during Season Four or are we going to have wait until Season Five?

Anonymous said...

I loved Missing. One of my fave episodes along with Lifeline, Doppelganger, Travelers and Tabula Rasa. This season rocks! Fantastic female bonding and character development for both Teyla and Keller. Thanks for another great episode!

As much as I miss Carson, I liked Keller when I saw her in First Strike, and I'm liking her even more in season 4. After watching Missing, I really hope she's part of the cast in season 5. I'd love to have Carson too. But at this point, I can't choose between them. Keller is becoming a great character and I'd feel really sad if she wasn't back in season 5.

So far season 4 is becoming my top fave season, with season 3 in a close second place.

Anonymous said...

hi joe -

my question for carl: what food item stood in for the disgusting looking alien creature guts that rachel and jewell ate?

Anonymous said...

Hello Joe and Mr. Binder!

First off, thank you both so much for taking the time to do this for us fans. To Joe, for doing it everyday and for Carl, who is stopping by to chat, THANK YOU!

Thank you also for a wonderful fourth season. I really enjoyed Missing as well.

As a Teyla fan, I wanted to ask about how the decision to have her pregnancy be a natural one with an Athosian that she has known since childhood. Without giving away too much of the rest of the season, would it be possible to tell us about how this came about, aside from the obvious real-life pregnancy of the actress?

Will we find out how this fits into the crush Teyla has on Sheppard (that was confirmed by Martin Gero in the commentary for Sunday), how she can have a crush on him, but then get into a relationship with another man so soon? Again, I hope there is a way to answer this as I know you obviously can't reveal too much for what's ahead. :)

From a John and Teyla fan, thank you. I anticipate some angst ahead and hope it will all make sense eventually.

And from a huge Teyla fan, thank you for Missing. What a great episode and a great season!

Thank you,
Sara

fangeezer said...

You know, you still could have gone with the Dark Teyla arc. Of course, it would have been more like Cranky, Hormonal Teyla. But she would have been just as scary. I've been pregnant. I know these things.

Anonymous said...

Hello Joe -

Here's a question for Carl, if it's not too late....I know you said Jewell did a lot of her own stunts in Missing. Did she actually do the tumble down the hill herself?? It looked painful, so Bravo to Jewell if she did!

Anonymous said...

Hey, anonymous-

Are you watching the same show that I am because there are PLENTY of episodes where Rodney does act brave despite his fears.

You should have read sadie's comment more carefully before replying. She never said that there aren't "PLENTY of episodes" (emphasis yours) in which Rodney acts brave. What she said was that she doesn't like (that's what 'least favourite' means) the ones where he isn't shown to be brave.

So unless you happen to particularly enjoy those episodes where he's presented as spineless and made fun of for it, you are, in fact, the type of Rodney fan she's speaking for.

Dovil said...

In order to attempt to please everyone you'd have to simultaneously rehire and fire the entire cast - you'd be reduced to shooting empty sets while dramatic music plays.

And now someone's set up a petition so that they can be hired as "Meredith", McKay's female double in an alternative universe. They're completely serious, which is why I both deeply love and am deeply afraid of fandom, all at the same time.

I'm going to start up a petition so that I can be Chuck's cousin's landlords postman. A small but integral role. Then I'm going to start a petition so I can get a high-powered position at the UN. I've always wanted to be involved in politics.

Anonymous said...

I also very rudely forgot to say thanks... both to Carl for taking the time to do a very welcome post-episode Q&A guestspot on the blog.. and to Joe for allowing one of your unworthy minions the chance to be grilled - or perhaps just lightly sautéed - by the inquisitive fans.

Anonymous said...

Season 4 has been amazing so far. I thought "Missing" was a great fleshing out character wise for both the Teyla and Keller (two great female characters). I happened to like Keller's reactions to the danger (she is a doctor not a warrior and it is how most people would react who are not used to being in a dangerous situation) kinnda reminded me of McKay which was really cool. I think Keller is really meshing in nicely. Will we see more of her in offworld situations with the team or with atlantis crew members in the future?

Anonymous said...

Is Michael (Wraith) going to be back? Are the Genii characters Sora or Kolya going to be back? Whatever happened to Sora by the way? And since Rodney can play the piano, is he ever going to do that in an episode of Atlantis?

Anonymous said...

Do any of the characters (besides Teyla) have children?

Anonymous said...

"Answer: Roped in? We don’t rope anyone in. We usually just lock the doors and don’t let people leave until they’ve written at least one script...
LOL! what a fantastic answer

Anonymous said...

Missing was awesome and it's my new favourite ep now,it's great to finally get a Teyla centric episode and you guys done a phenomenal job on it,the fight scenes were the best i've seen yet,i was on the edge of my seat from start to finish and almost fell of the seat laughing at the Cannibal guy sooking on a lollipop,whoevers idea that was it was brilliant,but why the ending..I HATE cliffies,even though we know what Keller wanted to talk to Teyla about i was still GAHHHHHH it can't end there,cruel very cruel,hehe jk..
Rachel and Jewel done a brilliant job here,i do miss Carson but i like Keller probably partly because i like Jewel as an Actress and well Teyla is my fave character on the show.

Anywho question,will we learn any more about Teyla's past and her people?

and will Rachel be back for S5?