It’s something I’ve been wrestling with for a while and, well, this morning, I finally decided to accept it. No, better. I’ve chosen to embrace it. I’ve always been respectful toward those with alternate opinions or values, and yet I’d always considered people who espoused this particular conviction - well, a little wacky. That was because I had the facts wrong. I pre-judged without actually walking the long mile in their shoes. But that has changed.
Of course I realize that some of you will feel that this isn’t the forum to discuss such a topic and that I’d be far better off keeping this epiphany to myself. But I can’t do that. It’s part of who I am now. So please understand - I’m not preaching to your here, only telling you about my own wonderfully revelatory experience in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, some of you will open your hearts to this life-altering truth:
You know what makes a sandwich great? Cucumber slices!
I know, I know. I can already here the disappointed groans, anxious murmurs, the sad, slow headshakes. But I don’t care. I’m comfortable with my new, pro-sliced cucumber stance. While I’ll never be a fanatic (eating cucumbers on their own or tossing them in a salad and calling that a meal), I’ll probably never again eat another sandwich without their delightfully crunchy presence.
The veil has been lifted and, even though some of you may be disappointed, know that I am, at heart, the same person I always was.
Which clearly some of you know better than others judging from the response to yesterday’s blog. To win the (somewhat) special prize, I figured I would test you with 20 tricky blog-related questions. “When’s the deadline?”Fondy asked. “I don’t have one,”I replied. In fact, I assumed I’d have responses trickling in over the better part of the weekend. If no one came up with all twenty answers, which was more than likely given the range of questions, I would end the contest on Sunday and award the prize to the person who got the most answers right. And so, I posted my blog entry and headed out for dinner. About an hour later, I received my first response from Charles Schneider who scored an impressive 18 out of 20. A half an hour later came the second response - from the eventual winner who scored 20 out o 20.
The winner? None other than encyclopedic blog regular PG-15. Congratulations PG-15. Again. Honorable mentions to everyone who made a game effort, especially Uber, HiddenSky, and Emily who got ‘em all right but, alas, weren’t fast enough.
As for those of you wondering about the answers…
1. Name 3 members of the League of Aliens and Mutants for Evil.
Baron Destructo and the League of Aliens and Mutants for Evil made their first appearance on an August 20th, 2007 blog entry. Baron Destructo responded to a scammer’s offer of $950 000 by thanking him and assuring him the money would go to a good cause - specifically, the League of Aliens and Mutants for Evil‘s goal of total world domination by the year 2010.
The League’s membership roster, cc’d at the end of all of the Baron’s emails, is made up of -
Calamitous Jane, Glaxnor the Miscreant, Sinderella Washington, Xxxaptak’qul, Dr. Catastro, Dr. Disastro, Dr. Quinn Meddlesome Woman, Ray Mephistopheles, Archfiend Animus, Brutus Badly, the Plague Zombies, Vorzik the Planet Squisher, the Malevolater, Count Sinister, Kugal Baruth, Death Knell, Star Father Celestio, Shatterdam, Princess Arcana, the Mystifier, the Procrastinator, the Soul Emancipator, Quickstrike, Professor Frosty, Flamer the Flaming Man, the Pummeler, the Purple Lamprey, and John Tesh.
2. What was the warning on the cool Stargate Atlantis mug I received from MGM?
“This product contains or may contain a chemical known to the state of California to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm”. Like I said back when I first blogged about his back on August 31, 2007 - Good thing I prefer dogs over kids!
3. What is my dark horse football team of the 2007-2008 NFL season?
The Cleveland Browns who, as I write this, are neck and neck with Paul’s dark horse Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
4. What did we find out we had unwittingly consumed in Japan when we ate a soup containing “milt”?
Back on December 3, 2006, I blogged about a wonderful meal I enjoyed in Tokyo. Among the many great dishes we enjoyed that night was a monkfish hotpot and dumplings. I wrote: “Fondy’s dumpling contained a mysterious yet incredibly sweet and creamy white filling that I asked our waitress about. She pointed to the menu: monkfish milt. Not a clue. It wasn’t until later that night when I checked online that I discovered we’d eaten monkfish sperm.”
5. According to Cookie Monster’s account of a recent Games Night on Sesame Street, why was The Count arrested?
My August 20, 2007 blog entry included an email from Cookie Monster to the scammer he was stringing along. It related the events of a recent Games Night on Sesame Street that ended badly for some: “ Everyone have good time and try to stay up late but first Telly pass out (tired), den Bert pass out (tender meatballs), den Big Bird fall down stairs (Jagermeister) and Ernie have to call ambulance, den police come and arrest Count for yelling and pants down.”
6. Name one of the ways I once suspected my wife of trying to kill me.
Back on March 17, 2007, I revealed three highly suspicious incidents that could have ended very badly for me - and, coincidentally, my wife insisted were mere oversights on her part. 1. I got the okay from her to drink from a water bottle - that happened to contain oxy clean. 2. She closed the never-ever-closed glass door to our solarium and then didn’t answer the phone early one morning, causing me to jump up and rush over to answer it - and right into the plate glass solarium door. 3. She set the blender back into its cradle but minus its base so that when I poured milk in, the contents seeped out the bottom and onto the counter. The blender was plugged in at the time.
When I told Fondy about this question, she vehemently protested, but not for the reason you’d think. “I only tried to kill you twice!”she claimed. Then I reminded her about the blender. “Oh yeah!”she laughed.
7. Who was my dog Jelly named after?
Fondy named him after the lovable gangster played by the late Joe Viterelli in Analyze This.
8. What was the title of the phony episode outline that “mistakenly” appeared on my blog?
The boards lit up after I posted a photo of Carl on my blog, a photo that seemed to inadvertently include a full outline for an episode titled Foxy Loxy with Floppy Socksies. The boards were abuzz - but it was all for naught. The outline and episode title were as fake as a reality show.
9. What did Carl give Marty G. for his birthday this year?
Carl gave Martin a second season dvd set of the show that gave him his first break: Punky Brewster. And wrote the following inspirational message on the front cover: “Martin, Follow your dreams!! Carl”
10. What delighful delicacy have I likened to “tiny orange tongues”.
Back on March 18, 2007, I reported on a terrific meal I enjoyed at Tojo’s, Vancouver’s premiere sushi restaurant. One of the night’s most memorable dishes was the live sea urchin which I likened to tiny orange tongues.
11. How did I kick-start my incredible weight-loss regimen of late 2006-early 2007?
Back in late 2006, while traveling in Asia, I ordered the snake soup at the Hong Kong airport - and lived (but just barely) to regret it. I was incredibly sick for the ensuing week in Tokyo, dropping a good ten pounds between before returning home - and embarking on a diet and work-out regimen that allowed me to shed another five pounds.
12. What Marvel villain adorns my Bridge Studios pace card?
My March 8, 2007 included a shot of my new Bridge Studios pace card. “Does the green of the body suit bring out the opaque or my fishbowl helmet?”I asked. This one was a little tougher for those using the search option on this blog because I never named the villain pictured. But fans of Marvel Comics and Spiderman in particular recognized the nefarious Mysterio.
13. What mispronounciation during an audition for SG-1 villainess Adria almost had Paul, Andy Mikita, and myself on the floor?
On March 31, 2007, I mentioned an audition in which “an aspirant referred to herself as “the daughter of the Oreo”.” We almost lost it.
14. What Disney movie did Carl Binder write the screenplay for?
That would be Pocahontas.
15. What did Ben Browder say to Pierre Bernard upon first spotting him at this year’s Comic Con?
Back on July 28, 2007 I gave you my report on the San Diego Comic Con. After the Atlantis panel, Ben Browder, Martin Wood, and I swung by a fan gathering where Pierre Bernard was present. “Ben, upon spotting Pierre who put in an appearance in 200 as a zombie that Mitchell guns down: “Bernard! Didn’t I kill you already?”.”
16. Name 3 authors (and their respective books) I have enjoyed reading.
Lots to choose from here. Three of my favorites off the top of my head:
Joe Abercrombie (Before They Are Hanged)
John Scalzi (Old Man’s War)
Iain M. Banks (Consider Phlebas)
17. How old was my grandmother when she passed away?
Props to Charles Schneider for trying “She’s not dead and just turned 57 last year” (which should make me, at best, 29). The real answer is, of course, 112.
18. Name one of the fictitious anime characters (and the series they appeared in) I claimed to have voiced during a recent appearance at an anime con.
My August 19, 2007 blog entry gave you the run-down of an anime con I guested at - and a particularly painful autograph session where I learned that most anime fans do not watch Stargate. After disappointing a string of excited fans in search of famous voice actors, I decided to change my tact. ““What voice work have you done?” I stared blankly back at them and then, after a few seconds, tried: “I was Orville the recalcitrant emu in Butter Ball Apocalypse. Did you see that one?” They shook their heads. “Sugoki from Squidbaiters One and Two? Carmelito 3000 from Mecha-Nibs? Sunomono Jones from Junior Revenge Seekers?” That last one seemed to spark some recognition in the guy dressed up as the hedgehog soldier who gave a slight nod and an: “I think I’ve seen it at the store.” I signed autographs for all for.
19. Name one of the top ten shows that influenced me growing up.
I gave you the breakdown back on May 2, 2007, listing them and giving you the reasons why. Take your pick from: Dallas, Spiderman, The Beverly Hillbillies, Soap, Gilligan’s Island, Hogan’s Heroes, Star Trek, Get Smart, The Flintstones, and Batman.
20. What is the name of Aloysius P. Hazzencockle’s orphanage?
Way back on July 2, 2007, Aloysius P. Hazzencockle sent an email to a scammer, Ali, who was desperate and (literally) dying to enlist someone’s help (and money) in setting up an orphanage. Aloysius was more than happy to lend his support, and even went so far as to suggest possible names for the orphanage. They were -
ALOYSIUS P. HAZZENCOCKLE’S HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH in memory of Ali Abbas
ALI IN THE FAMILY - HOME FOR ORPHANS AND ALOYSIUS P. HAZZENCOCKLE
HAZZENCOCKLE’S HACIENDA OF LOVE AND CARING AND ALI
THE HOUSE THAT GOD (AND 38.5 MILLION DOLLARS) BUILT
The very next day, I reported that Ali had written back: “ As regards the orghanage name conclusivelly, ALI IN THE FAMILY - HOME FOR ORPHANS AND ALOYSIUS P. HAZZENCOCKLE has finally caught my likes,and i settles for that .”
Again, thanks to everyone who participated. In the end, there are no losers. You are all winners. Although PG-15 is just a slightly more winner in this case.
Before finishing up today’s entry and moving on to the overdue mailbag, I’d like to dedicate today’s blog to Mags, her mother, and family (who are going through a tough time right now), and Amber at the request of her friend Anna (who is going through an equally rough time right now).
Today’s mailbag:
Royal Nonsuch writes: “Can you hint as to which series concept (if any) was cut?”
Answer: It was pre-Stargate and, believe me, not all that interesting.
Anonymous #1 writes: “What part of Italy is your family from? My last name is Turchiano and we're from the South, near Bari.”
Answer: My mother’s side is from a town called Altamura in Bari.
Nikki writes: “So are you dubious and erring on the side of caution saying no, or dubious on the curious side and saying yes?”
Answer: I’m not a fan of hard or chewy candy - but I don’t speak for the rest of the writing staff. So dubious and saying yes.
Kirfect writes: “Do you let your lovely dogs sleep in the bed with you?”
Answer: They used to, but their snoring kept Fondy up so now they sleep beside the bed (in their own little doughnut beds).
Anonymous #2 writes: “is Torri Higginson in 4 episodes int he first half or not?”
Answer: The first time I answered this question way back when, I said that Torri’s 4 episodes would be in the first half of the season. This is no longer the case.
Amac251 writes: “ What was everyone's reaction (at the studio) to Atlantis receiving a Peoples' Choice nomination?”
Answer: Everyone was both excited and honored. Did you go vote? Did you get your friends and family to vote? Great! Now go back and keep voting!
OhioAnne writes: “If you were an Iron Chef and the secret ingredient were turkey, what would be your five courses?”
Answer: 1. Crisp turkey spring rolls with sweet chili sauce. 2. Cream of turkey soup with chives. 3. Turkey-pea risotto with pancetta. 4. Garlic-stuffed roast turkey. 5. Turkey ice cream.
Jenny Robin writes: !
Answer: Get somebody to illustrate it and then get it published!
Val a ecrit: “ Je voulais vous demander, est-ce que Torri ou Amanda ont été blessée par certaines remarques qu'elles auraient pu lire?”
Reponse: “Sans doute ils ont lu certains de ces commentaires.”
Morjana writes: “Your blog has been nominated -- in several different categories -- for the 2008 Blogger's Choice Awards!”
Answer: Is there some sort of awards ceremony I need to attend? Would you happen to know if they’ll be serving dinner and, if so, what is on the menu?
Sis writes: “Dad had, and I have an allergy to penicillin as well as any drug in that family... now you do as well. I had my first reaction when I was in my 20's. I have (also since my 20's)a slight fruit intolerace... canteloupe, honeydew, eggplant - ok, one vegetable - and yes, pineapple. Did you excercise after consuming the fruit? There are excercise induced fruit allergies.”
Answer: Eggplant? Really? You have no problem eating mom’s eggplant parmesan. On the other hand, is that why the roof of my mouth gets all sensitive and prickly after I eat it?
Thursday, November 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

79 comments:
Hi Joe,
Happy belated birthday to your blog! I'm trying to work on a script for an amateur animation as a personal side project while I'm in school. Working on it, I was wondering what was your first experience in script writing? And would you recommend buying a script writing program, or just using my regular word processor?
I'm happy you came to see the value of cucumbers too! How do you feel about pickles?
My wife and I have been eating cucumber slices on our sandwiches for the better part of ten years. They seem to make the sandwiches go down easier and a bit healthier so you wont get any flaq from me. By The Way I'm glad to see someone finally stand up for what they like. Not too much of that here in Ca.
dear joe,
it's an honer to post the first comment today, as i'm a very very new to your blog, i'm a strange (in a way) fan, of SG (in general), hence, a fan of you, an arabic one, specifically from JORDAN.
anyway, this is not the metter here, the metter is to tell how much i like the show (which i'm pretty ceratin) as thousands do! i'm not a fan of a certain actor/actress in there, just in love with it all in all.
i'd like to ask a question, if i have the right to:
Q: which scene in the whole 4-seasons of SGA do you love most?
finally, the humor in the show is more than jokes to made! i love them all, i laugh on them more than anything else.
Q: how much is your participation in that humor?
thnx and enjoy your meals as you always do. ;)
I don't know....I go away for 24 hrs to visit a friend, which involved watching copious amounts of Buffy whilst munching on peanut M & M's, party rings and discussing the validity of the expression 'Meh' in the human language, and returned to discover that I missed out on the competition of the year......Meh.
And Cucumber in sarnies gets an 'urgh' vote from me, but only because I was witness to an unfortunate incident involving said vegetable, a 'V' slicer and a flatmates finger....*shudders*
Joe, Those questions & answers were great! Congratulations to the lucky winner! Enjoy!
Penicillion! My dad was allergic to it also! I dont think i am though!
Cucumber! I love cucumbers! Have you tried the lebanese cucumber? Nice!
Is it true that Paul McGillion might be in season 5? I know that he is in a couple of eps in season 4! I am very happy about this! He is an awesome actor! I just want to say thanks for bringing him back! If it's 2 eps or more! Thanks!
I also love this blog! It is always a great read! Love the piccies & the videos as well!
Can your dogs get any cuter? Love seeing the piccies of Lulu in her yoga sleeping positions!
Cathie
Haven’t heard from the Baron and the Legue for a while.
I thought he might have gone into another line of business, perhaps
Assassins R Us ‘You name ’em we’ll maim ’em.’
No politician too small.
Baron Destructo and the League of Aliens and Mutants for Evil are a certified member of the Evil Elite not affiliated to any League of a similar name.
Cucumber, gods little joke on us mere mortal’s. Yeah but what about ‘Scotch eggs’ forget your deep fried Mars bars, those things will kill you.
Happy Thanks Giving to every one in the USA.
Hell I’ll celebrate anyone’s holidays.
Rambling yet again, brain needs sleep….humm just fancy a Scotch egg right now
Pauline
DOH! In the words of Maxwell Smart...
"Missed it by that much."
Oh well. Congrats PG15! :)
Thanks for taking the time to come up with all those good questions, it was a really fun challenge.
In all honesty, the only things I actually remembered were your Bridge Studios Avatar (who could forget that?) and Carl's writing credit (he just mentioned it during his recent guest post).
Thanks for the special props, I'll never reveal my tactics in going for gold, but I'm sure you already know how someone could answer all those questions so fast without knowing most of them off hand.
In my defence, although there's no way I could possibly remember all those facts, I have been reading since last Christmas.
Thanks again! Happy American Thanksgiving.
The veil has been lifted and, even though some of you may be disappointed, know that I am, at heart, the same person I always was.
That...that's a beautiful moment right there. If there's anything that I can be glad about is that I was around for this life altering experience. I would surely weep but my tear ducts were so overcome they imploded.
For #9 I was going to say syphallis but thought it might get me permanently banned. And yet the real answer - 5,000 times funnier.
I will not comment on your latest culinary revelation, other than to say that its an epiphany I cannot share, given what cucumbers like to do to my gastric system. But surely there are limits to which sandwhiches are enhanced by the presence of said cucumber slices.
Congratulations to those who got the quiz right. With luck the next time you hold such a contest I wont be working, and thus be able to make an effort to compete.
One question for the day. How are the ratings for the 9pm repeat episodes of Atlantis doing, in comparison to the original airing ratings? I'm enjoying the double dose of Friday Night Atlantis, especially in light of Sci Fi's inability to come up with any strong lead-in shows for our favorite series.
After reading your blog for at least six months, I had an epihany. Click on comments to leave a comment. Soooo embarassing. Anyway. I love reading your blog. I enjoy the food comments, doggie news, and the background on Atlantis. I enjoy it from your perspective. You have the same warped sense of humor that I have. I'm sure i worry my neighbors when I cackle manicaly while reading your blog.
Don't let the idiots get you down. The whiners have even less of a life than I do. God help them in real life. Though I admit to being a Sam and Jack shipper, I do realize people have lives, and my viewpoint is not shared by all. Pity others do not. And I love how your comments go straight over the heads of the folks who need to vacate the gene pool. Just to share, I watch SGA, I tivo SGA, and I buy the dvd's. I also buy the books and soundtracks. I hope by supporting the franchise in this way, it helps show there is an audeince. Since I work for a living, I sometimes miss watching the show live. I need my beauty sleep. A lot!
Please forgive this long rambling missive. I'm just so excited I finally figured this out. lol I hope this next blog year is a good one for you.
A comment about the dislike of Keller. I love her. Courage is doing what you are afraid of. Her human side is what allows her to grow and develop. She is real. A character without humanity is dull. What I have always liked about SG1 and SGA is the everyman approach. The charachters feel real to me. Carter is stretching herself and trying something new and out of her comfort range. I look forward to seeing how she settles in. I love the humor. Comic relief is the best. Too much drama everyday for real. And, in the real world, it is the "inappropriate" humor that surfaces. Just hang around docs, nurses,fire,ems,and cops. I know first hand. I have gotten some realy appalled looks from bystanders. Hey, it's what we do. You have to laugh in life, or you just give up and die. I prefer to laugh at what life throws me. Somehow, I think you do too! I've never tried cukes on a sanwhich, but I like them all the same. So maybe I'll add some cuke clices to my turkey sandwhich.
Cucumber slices? OK, good for you. You will never get me to eat that but if you like it, that's great.
I just looked on the Gateworld website and it has a bunch of new info. It says that Continuum is coming out in July 2008, and that at the end of the movie the timeline has been changed in a subtle but permanent way and that the characters remember the old timeline. Cool! I also read that Michael will be in the Kindred episodes. My sister will be really excited about that, she thinks that he is the best villain on Stargate Atlantis (according to her, the Wraith, Kolya, and all the other bad guys aren't the least bit scary).
Did you see this story about the scorpion? Yikes, I'm glad it's not still around.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071121/ap_on_sc/biggest_bug_ever
I had 19 answers right but couldn't remember the phony episode name! I remembered the photo, but didn't have time to track it down. PG-15 probably already had it in the bag, though--good job!
Joe
There is a condition called exercise induced anaphalaxis which will cause you to have a reaction like you would when eating a food you are severly allergic to. There are certain foods if you eat before you exercise that will bring this on. A friend of mine's husband has this and fruit brings it on if he goes for a run afterwards.
Good luck
For the record...what makes a great sandwich great is the roast beef. The better the quality...the better the sandwich.
Now, what makes a salad great is the cucumbers.
Geesh, cucumbers on bread...where do these people come from *rolls eyes* :)
Sliced cucumber on sandwiches? I've been having an on-going debate with some friends of mine about how texture can be very important, so it would be interesting to hear of your reasoning for the sliced cucumber.
Is it the texture or the taste you most like?
Well, I didn't win the prize but the real treasure is knowing that I got all the right answers. I'm nothing if not an over-achiever. And OCD, apparently. Tedium, thy name is Emily.
Yeah, holy crap question #12 gave me fits (Mysterio). I had no problem finding the reference picture, but I am not by any means a comic aficionado. And WOW - Marvel has A LOT of villains. I have no idea what search string ultimately proved fruitful in my google search (marvel villain fish bowl hemlet...marvel villain underwater...marvel villain green red cape helmet...), but I thought that that question was going to be my downfall.
As it turns out, my downfall was my commute to my parents' house on the busiest travel day of the year through the wind and snow. Seriously, this is the upper midwest, people--why all the driving like you've never seen snow??? Anyway, late to read the blog, late to submit the answers.
Question for you which may get lost amidst this tome I've just composed: Are all the computers on the set actual working computers? If so, do people ever actually use them or do they just sit around on-set unused?
And since we're all voicing our character-change feelings I'd like to say that I like Carter more than Weir. Weir always bothered me. I did appreciate the whole "civilian in charge" thing, but her character just irked me (although I do have to admit that she was growing on me). I was sad when Carson left, but I was able to move on. I like Keller. I'm also easy to please.
Thanks for giving me something fun to do last night...scavenger hunts officially rule.
Bring Carson back permanently in season 5 please!!!!
Do you remove the seeds from the cucumber slices before you put them on your sandwich?
An Atlantis question: recent episodes have shown the city lit up at night. Very pretty. But are there people in all those rooms? Has the population of Atlantis increased that much? How many people would you say are on base now? If the rooms aren't being used, that's a lot of lights to leave burning all over the city. Are Ancient lights energy efficient, because I can just hear Rodney saying "using power, using power, using power!"
I went to the Burbank SG/Battlestar Con this passed weekend...it was fantastic...Met Corin, Joe F., Michael, Carmen, Cliff and Jay...all hilarious...and all geeks like the rest of us...
Also met Katee Sackhoff, Jamie Bamber, and Tahmoh Penikett from BSG who are HILARIOUS...
All of the guests were fantastic...Joe and I were talking about you...but i promised I'd keep it hushhush...
I'll definitly be going back next year
Thank you Joe!! Sweeet! I haven't had the $$$ to buy the SG1 set yet, so this is absolutely perfect!
Also thank you Uber and crazymom for the congrats! It really just shows that you two have more of a life than I do, so winning is not THAT good of a thing.
Although the DVDs are very fetching. Hehe. Thanks again Joe. Also, I'm sure you have made my friends very happy with your comments on an otherwise dull, dull day.
Now, that eggplant thing; my mouth gets all tingly like that as well after I eat it, and I'm not allergic to anything, so I don't think it's an allergic reaction. It's more to do with the eggplant itself, I imagine.
Oh, and emily, I'm not a Marvels fan either (sorry Joe), but doing GoogleImage search with "Marvel villain fishbowl helmet" gave me the answer I so needed.
so joe, i must share that i found the most amazing way to celebrate the silly holiday today(thanksgiving). I went had some wonderful turkey, wild rice stuffing, southern sweet potatos, a wonderful green bean casserole. Then i came home and popped my atlantis DVD's into the player and am having a mckay marathon. Duet, Grace Under Pressure, McKay & Mrs. Miller, Tao of Rodney are on the evening menu. i watched Trinity, Conversion, Seige I earlier this morning i think this may be the best holiday i have ever had!
QOTD- whats the one thing you most want for christmas?
hi, joe,
since it's thanksgiving day in the US...
i'm thankful for sam carter being on atlantis, i'm thankful for the wonderful squee of sam/jack, and i'm thankful for grooving on stargate still.
sally :D
Is Sharon the nanite girl from Millrs Crossing, the replicator running around Earth in Outcast?
Hey! Just saw The Seer tonight. It was by FAR one of the best episodes of Atlantis ever. I didn't notice who wrote it, and I could easily look it up on wikipedia... but I won't. So, whatever role you had in it, good job! And if anyone else played a substantial role, good job to them to! Keep it up!
The first time I answered this question way back when, I said that Torri’s 4 episodes would be in the first half of the season. This is no longer the case.
So Torri is still in four episodes, but now the still-unidentified fourth appearance has been pushed to the second half? I'm curious to know how that will work. Given that the mystery of Weir's fate is supposed to be so deeply entwined with the Replicator storyline, one would assume that all of her appearances would have been carefully planned and locked into specific episodes, and it seems strange that one of those appearances could be moved in the storyline so easily.
I do hope we'll see more of Weir in Season Five; the writing opportunities presented by her storyline with the Replicators are just too fascinating and potentially mind-blowing to not be explored further in the future.
True cucumber Stargate related story!
A few years ago, I went to lunch at a place called "Celebrity Sandwich" or some such. All over the walls were various sandwiches with a celebrity's name and a description of the sandwich. Also, in small print was a corresponding number. Having recently watched the episode "Urgo," I decided on a Dom DeLuise sandwich. It had a healthy number of cucumber slices in it (hopefully Dom would approve).
Anyhow, I go to order and say "I'll take a Dom DeLuise."
"What?"
"A Dom DeLuise sandwich, please."
"What?"
"The Dom DeLuise sandwich. Over there on the wall."
"Oh. Uh, what number is that?"
Why in the heck is it a Celebrity Sandwich shop if you order by the randomly assigned number? Why not a Random Number Sandwich Shop if that's the case? The only thing celebrity about it was that the randomly numbered sandwiches happened to have the names of celebrities which the wait staff did their best to completely ignore. Yeesh...
Anyhow, cucumber slices AND a Stargate guest star all in the same sandwich related story. What more could you want?
Joe, if you were able to design your own Joe Mallozzi celebrity sandwich, what would it be? And what if you could design a celebrity sandwich for a celebrity of your choice?
Also, how do you like avocado in sandwiches?
Good morning Joe, I see friday is here again, I could've sworn it was the day before yesterday but never mind, I'll be getting the christmas deccies out soon and where once upon a time it was like being reaquainted with old friends due to the eleven month seperation now its more "Oh no, not you again" it seems I was only putting them away yesterday, speaking of which are there any plans whatsoever of a seasonal episode of Atlantis? I'd love to see the place decked out in the Pegasus Galaxy equivalent of Holly.
Cucumber in sandwiches, eh? Well, okay, I'll agree if it's a really fresh sandwich. But not advisable if you're going to wait more than 5 minutes to eat it. Anyone who's bitten into a sandwich and had the soggy bread experience will probably agree.
Meils
PS - Re Pauline's comment about Scotch Eggs - Marks and Spencer do bite size ones which are far superior to the large ones (and don't seem quite to unhealthy!).
I'm glad you've seen the light? Disappointed? Why would I be? There are really very few sandwiches that cannot be enhanced by the addition of sliced cucumbers. Welcome, my brother in crudités. Your life will be immeasurably enhanced now that you have accepted this truth. :)
Hehe..Doesn't it concern you that someone would know that much about you? =P.
You're so brave to bring up such a touchy subject, but I'm so glad cucumbers have found their way into your sandwich heart. =D
Sandwiches are a great platform for experimentation, and cucumbers certainly are no stranger to my sandwich history. Mmmm YUM.
You should also try them sliced, lightly sprinkled with salt.
So what are your plans for the weekend? Tomorrow's the dreaded Black Friday so I'm off for a drive in the deuce instead.
I said: “Your blog has been nominated -- in several different categories -- for the 2008 Blogger's Choice Awards!”
And Joe replied: Is there some sort of awards ceremony I need to attend? Would you happen to know if they’ll be serving dinner and, if so, what is on the menu?
My response:
Sorry, Joe, I don't know anything about an awards ceremony or what they'll be serving for dinner, but I've "heard" the top five entrants in each category have a choice between the swimsuit competition or exotic entertainment performance as their final challenge.
:)
Morjana
So are you able to tell us what episode yet to air, besides 'this mortal coil', Torri appears in? If so, which one :P ?
joe be careful it does sound like you have an allergy to eggplant and for selfish reasons( if your dead theres no more blog) please get an allergy test !!!
Heya Joe.
Im a huge fan of cheeses. Edam, Jarlesberg, Camembert etc... and of course (being English), Cheddar and Stilton.
Which is your favorite of the fermented curds? Shall we say, your 'fromage of choice'.
Have you tried cucumber slices on a peanut butter sandwich? Though I thought it was crazy-talk at first, I tried it when I gave up cheese (my erstwhile cucumber sandwich companion) and haven't looked back since.
A little bit of marmite or sambal makes it extra tasty.
Those sandwiches were my lunch for over a year...
Ooo. Sorry. Gonna have to part ways with you on the whole cucumber stance. I don't like crunchy on my sandwiches.
I wonder, however, if you would also try putting potato chips on your sandwiches? Crunch and fat all in one lovely stack!
Hi, Joe...
Any further plans to make Paul McGillion and Carson Beckett a presence again on the Season 5 stages of Stagate Atlantis..?
Many of us missed him very much in Season 4... I liked some of what was achieved with season 4, honestly I did... And I don't mean to belittle the achievements of the other actors, etc... Tabula Rasa was a favourite! Well-crafted! But my heart, I confess, still bleeds for Carson, somewhat..!
Bethany S. Heard, UK
Cucumbers! For me, I can live with them on sandwiches or without them quite happily, but then I don't eat a lot of sandwiches at the moment, and when I do I love corned beef (do you have that in Canada?) with brown sauce (which I suspect you don't have over there) or cheese and pickle (Branston's is the best! And I hope you know what pickle is in the UK! Ah, cultural differences!!).
I do love cucumbers in my salad and I have to admit that I have been known to eat half a cucumber on its own like a piece of fruit... Also the same for courgettes (zucchini, or however you spell it!) - it used to gross out my work colleagues - back when I worked (pre-ME/CFS days).
Anyway, enough of that!
Emily in her comment has asked about the computers and I want to know too... especially as someone (sorry, can't remember who) on one of the fan groups I'm on decided that the only way David Hewlett could possibly keep up with all his internetting as well as his acting was to use the on set computers! So that means that every time you see McKay using a computer, David is actually doing some work for his website(s) and twitter and youtube etc!! (He's *everywhere*!!!)
More seriously, if you want to know what British brown sauce tastes like, I could send you a bottle - unless it would get confiscated at the border - are we allowed to send food to Canada? I know the US can be touchy about imported food sometimes...
I could send you some Branston's pickle too... but not the cheese or corned beef, for obvious reasons!
Hi Joe,
I've been reading your blog for a while now and only just getting round to dropping you a question.
Please accept apologies if you've been asked this before but .....
Now that Season 5 has been confirmed,how soon do you have to have an outline for the seasons story arc or does that only start coming together after the first draft scripts have been recieved? Basically what comes first overall story arc or individual episodes?
1)Will any of Atlantis' team members lose sight of the bigger picture and in turn, lose themselves to a darker, more self-involved spiral?
2)Will there be any mysteries left unsolved crossing over to Season 5?
Im glad to have read that you have seen the light XD
Cucumbers have always been an prominant feature in any sandwich of mine, alongside tomato and corn meat ^^
Congrats on the blogger award nominations! (hope you win)
I just found out that my credit card was "hacked" (or whatever you call it) and someone has been buying wine and train tickets with it.
Do you think the Credit Card Fraud people should send me the wine? I'm not too pushed about the train tickets since I have a car.
Thank you.
Hey Joe,
I have a question I've been meaning to ask for a while. Of course, this may never have been thought out, but it is something I've always wondered.
Did Jacob's body get taken back with the Tok'ra or would he have been buried on Earth.
Always one of those "hmmmmm" things for me.
So, Weir is finally in 4 episodes. I'm really surprised. I believed that she will be at least in 5...
Well, a little question. You could give us any hints about any fifth season episodes?
Salut Joseph =)
Youpi! c'est le week end^^!
Hier j'ai essayer de comprendre toute ces questions , mais je n'est pas réussi désoler.
Peoples' Choice awards?? Mais oui vous inquiéte pas j'ai voté^^!
..bon je doit faire quelque mise a jour sur mon blog(héhé bientot 35000com^^) ..a toute l'heure
KISsssssssss
*chuckles* Congrats to the contest winner. ;) I must admit, I was tempted to go digging through your blog for the answers as I'm still pretty much a relative "newbie" to commenting here in comparison to a whole year's worth of comments from others. But I thought that was an imaginative way to note the blog's year-anniversary.
Somebody should send you some dark chocolate in celebration! :D
First, congratulations to PG-15!!
Joe, does anyone of the other writers or you follow European sports, like soccer or so??
Hello Mr. M. This is NaniWahine :) To pester you, again, about Carson Beckett.
I've read recently, that Paul did NOT get the part of Scotty (OH HORROR!) in the new Star Trek movie. As saddened as I am by this news, I've realized that this also opens a practical scheduling window for him to return to SGA in season 5. Please tell us if there is a chance of Carson coming back? And please say yes! ;)
amy_g, the comment from JM was made in an interview with either GW or one of the magazines. You'll find it if you look at his recent interviews, I believe.
To be honest, I thought it was a little unprofessional to be making a comment like that, and not considering how the actress might feel if she read it. After that, I wouldn't be surprised if Torri never wanted to come back. I hope she will be given the opportunity, and will want to, but I wouldn't blame her if she told them to take a flying leap.
Another exciting day at the PD. The big call is a 10-point buck stuck in the mud at a construction site. I'm thinking about getting a jump on my online shopping while I'm sitting here getting paid double holiday pay.
Tonight I have to go visit my parents, so GeekBoy and I will be cold-turkey (ha!) internet-free until Sunday night. I've got wine for me and Xanax for him, so we should make it through. I'll check back in Sunday night. Have a good weekend!
Okay, I'll grant you the cucumber slices. They're great on hoagies. But if you start recommending the Australian custom of beet slices on hamburgers, you will lose me. ;)
Cheers,
RebeccaH
Please bring Torri back in Season five. And not for four episodes. For at least 14.
I know you've said before that you don't do things because fans want you to, but because you want the show to run a certain way, but look at the ratings, Joe.
People are turning off. The cast changes have to be something to do with that. I don't think you have/had any idea how incredibly popular Torri Higginson and Paul McGillion are. How popular their characters are.
Did Sam bring in lots of extra fans? No. Even Joe Flanigan said that at the recent convention in Burbank. You brought in Carter aiming to bring in SG1 fans, but the majority of SG1 fans who'd be interested were already watching.
Please, if you MUST have Carter there, also have Weir. You'll see an increase in ratings if you do that. Just wait for the figures for This Mortal Coil. And don't give us the "it's our mid season finale" crap. If people haven't been watching all season, they're not going to tune in just to see the mid season finale. If they watch when they haven't been up to this point, it'll be to see Elizabeth.
Cucumbers in sandwiches? Sorry, I picture little old ladies wearing frilly dresses and large hats sipping tea out of china cups. Tell me you don't have either a frilly dress or a china cup, please!!! More to the point, I feel that I shall never be a cucumber-in-sandwich convert. But your epiphany made me laugh today!
Have something to celebrate the one year birthday with Christopher Walken style
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMZwZiU0kKs&feature=related
In the announcement about Continuum on gateworld, Brad Wright indicates that there is some change in the timeline that will carry over and have a lasting impact. With that change if it is something that would affect the Atlantis cast or events, where will that movie fall in the timeline?
Am currently reading The White Plague and so far 3 of the names of the main characters are O'Neill, Browder, and Beckett. I just found that interesting. I'm easily amused.
Glad to hear that the character Michael will be back in season 4. Connor Trinneer is the reason I got hooked on SGA. Hope to see more of him in season 5.
I love cucumbers on sandwiches. I think they are best on sandwiches with spicy cold cuts.
*waves*
Oh Mr M, you mean I didn't win? *sniff* Damn that PG15, he's such a suck up, and knowing those answers in record time, I fear he might have stalker tendancies! Oh and if he's reading this. (PG15, You know I luffs ya babe. It's only because i'm jealous, bitter and twisted). :o)
Before I go, can I just say that I completely and utterly disagree with you on something. I'm sorry Mr M, but I really feel I need to release my burdon!
Cucumber sandwiches should be banned. They're evil!! I know what you're thinking, I've always been supportive of you in the past, but I think you've gone to far with this. Don't you know that cucumbers make the bread icky, and wet, and gross, and floppy? Ewwwww. It's vile and should be banned. I can't believe you're actually promoting such crap. You should be ashamed of yourself Mr M.
I might have to start an anti-cucumber petition i'm afraid. With whom shall I direct my distaste for this?
I'd hug you, but you've offended me with this revelation that you're pro cucumber sandwiches.
Hmpf!!
bogtrotter, I had to laugh when I saw your comment (not at you, of course). I was just told that now that the Christmas shopping season has truly begun, our reports on "Criminal Use of a Financial Card" will double. At least your hackers bought something decent. I'm amazed how many people steal credit card information and then get $60 worth of gas and dinner at "Go, Chicken Go"!
Oh yes Cucumber Sandwiches...yummy. Joe, ever tried watercress sandwiches?
Fran
"Liza said...
Please bring Torri back in Season five. And not for four episodes. For at least 14... Blah, blah, blah... "
Please don't, Joe. Many are glad to see the back of Weir, and love Carter and Keller too much to see either of them replaced by characters who have been reduced in screen time. As lovely as Carson is, and I hope he can be brought back for guest appearances, he is dead, and that is something that's difficult to overcome, as sad as that is! :(
As Joe F. said at the recent Con at Burbank, Weir and Torri aren't getting much support, and that says it all, doesn't it? Despite the attempts of one or two motivated and dedicated fans, who, bless them, are trying to motivate people to get off their backsides and do something positive, rather than attacking everyone else, the apathy says a lot, doesn't it? Bottom line? Most don't care whether Weir appears or not.
Torri has said she doesn't want to be on Atlantis right now, and that she'd rather be in a role where she's doing something more. She also said in her GW interview that she was as much to blame for Weir not being succesful as the writers.
She also said she'd come back for the odd episode if the role were meaty enough. Seems like Torri has moved on...Good for her.
So, sorry, these desperate attempts to get Weir back just don't make sense, and belittle Torri as a person who can manage to have a successful career without her fans begging for her to get her role back in SGA.
Joe, I think the cucumber idea is fabulous! I like the crunch. By the way, does Rodney McKay's food fetish have anything to do with yours?
Me revoila =)
Bon je vais aller au lit moi^^
Avant sa j'ai quelques questions:
1)Si vos chient poourraient parler que vous direz t'ils?
2)Que feriez vous si vous vous retrouviez devant un wraith?
Vola =) Merci Kisou Kisou!
Je vous aime a 100%!
Je pense fort a vous <3
Bonne journée!!
I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU
FOREVER
Joe may have said that bringing Carter into SGA didnt mean that there were lots of new viewers but what the earlier poster Liza failed to mention was that Joe said that Weir AND Beckett leaving didnt result in many people stopping watching either and in fact the two were even.
I wish people would stop quoting what Joe did or didnt say at a convention on this blog, trying to twist his words for their own means. (In fact I wish they would stop quoting him altogether)
Personally I dont know anyone who is that upset that Weir has been replaced. Even those that had serious doubts about Carter have accepted that she is a good addition to the show and are enjoying season 4 (most think it is the best yet)and are looking forward to season 5 even more with the new current cast!
i have to say, i disagree with your conclusion about anime watchers and stargate watchers. well maybe not totally, but i certainly don't fit into it. i happen to love both. maybe stargate just a teensy bit more. :)
It's only me again. You know I really should read the comments before I do my post, it would save on lots of spamming. Soooo
Weir and Carter! Hmmmmm
I really like the Weir arc, it makes her character more interesting. and i'm happy where they're taking the character (off the screen... just a lil humour to lighten the mood. ;))I never disliked Weir, but felt as if the character (not the actress) didn't really sell me. Know though, I find her more intriguing, a bit like Ford. I wanted to slap Ford upside the head (frequently), but really enjoyed where you took his character. I'm rambling again aren't I?
*moves swiftly on*
Initially I was concerned with Sam coming over, mostly due to the fact that there were a lot of changes in a short amount of time, and i'll be honest, I was concerned (eve though i've always liked Sam). But now, I am so pleased with how she's been written, that it feels like she's always been there, and she fits like a comfy old shoe, lol. Oh just to ensure there's no misinterpretation, that's a good thing. :o) I'd rather have Weir in those few eps with a good storyline and lots of angst as opposed to having her in the whole of the season being a diplomat. I'm sorry for the Weir fans, but how I perceive it is, there are major changes in the Pegasus Galaxy and does Weir's current role really fit into the model where the storyline is going? I don't personally think it does. But then that's just me isn't it. I like to be difficult... sorry, different. ;o)
Sorry for my spelling mistakes before, it's been a long week.
Sga season 4 fan, is that you, Linzi? Because it sure sounds like you.
For the record, Torri has said she'd be happy to come back if the character is well written and has a lot to do.
Also for the record, Joe Flanigan has been a big supporter of both Torri and Paul. Has Paul's support been more 'vocal' than Torri's? Yes, but that's because they could afford to hire someone to bug TPTB with bagpipes etc.
There has been plenty of support for Torri. The difference is, her fans haven't been getting the show free publicity on national television. For whatever good it's done with the Beckett campaign. I admire them, but I feel TPTB played them.
I love how people who weren't even at a convention tell others what was or wasn't said.
Just so you know, I was there. One of the first things Joe said was that he misses working with Torri. He then went on to talk about Paul.
His comment about the campaigning was along the lines of the fact that the SCB people got in TPTB's face, and that people need to do more along those lines if they want to get Torri back.
He seems to be the only one who's willing to talk about how disappointed he is in both of them going, and I admire him for that.
All these people who think that nobody supports Weir, and feel the need to belittle her fans need to pull their heads in and find something else to complain about. NOBODY has implied that Torri NEEDS Atlantis. She's a talented actress who will no doubt do well on other shows. Her fans do, however, love Elizabeth Weir, and would like to see her back.
What's so bad about that? Put yourselves in that situation if it was Rodney or Shep or any of the others TPTB had decided was expendable. I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune.
Um, as someone who was there, Joe didn't say she had no support. He said people needed to keep up the support if they wanted to make a difference. Get your facts straight.
Anonymous said: "amy_g, the comment from JM was made in an interview with either GW or one of the magazines. You'll find it if you look at his recent interviews, I believe."
Sorry, but unless I can listen to the audio file or watch a vid file, so I can listen to/see Mr. Mallozzi saying the actual words, I take anything that is posted, including just written interviews, with a grain of salt.
Too many times I've seen interviews edited that makes it seems as if the person in question said a completely different thing, completely out of context.
I'm not saying Mr. Mallozzi didn't say that (if he did say that, well, he has the right to think what he wants, like anybody else, whether some fans like it or not). But many times, when things are edited in interviews, the meaning of something said in context is lost and ends up looking like a person said something completely different.
I don't go to GW's forum, but I always read the news articles and interviews linked at the main page, and I never read anything about "Mr. Mallozzi being proud of getting rid of Weir."
Another example is how fans twist what the actors say at the cons. I saw lots of reports from several cons Joe Flanigan attended and watched some vids available online. At one of the cons Joe Flanigan said that he missed working with Torri and Paul, but he enjoyed working with Amanda and she was such a nice person and great to work with, and how he was concerned at the beginning about a character from SG-1 coming to Atlantis but he thought that in the end the introduction has gone very well and he was pleased with the result.
It's funny how, depending on which faction a fan belongs too, he/she reports the stuff that suits his/her own agenda and leaves the rest out. I've read Elizabeth and Carson fans reporting only the "miss working with Torri and Paul very much" (i.e. no mention that he said he enjoys working with Amanda very much), I've seen Amanda Tapping fans quoting him as saying "Amanda is great to work with", omitting that he also said he enjoyed working with both Torri and Paul and missed them.
As I said, everybody posts the parts that suits their points of view and leave the rest out. Many take the words out of context.
So, unless I can listen to/watch the person in question saying those words and see the way they say it, I take any con reports and written interviews with a grain of salt.
I'm allergic to penicillin, too. Several years back I had to take an antibiotic and a day or so after coming off of it I began breaking out in hives. That was not a fun time.
Hi Joe:
Just to let you know that I never miss your blog. Ok, well, once when I was standing outside Bridge Studios in the poring rain for the Save Carson Beckett rally I missed your blog. I was also putting on a Fan party at the Holiday Inn at Metrotown later in the evening. But I did read your blog as soon as I could thereafter.
My question is this: Is it possible for a Wraith to get fat, and if so, would he/she then go on a diet? If that happened, what would be diet food for a Wraith? This is a question being mulled over by TechnoWraith and I. What do you think?
Patricia
Season 4 SGA fan said...
Please don't, Joe. Many are glad to see the back of Weir, and love Carter and Keller too much to see either of them replaced by characters who have been reduced in screen time. As lovely as Carson is, and I hope he can be brought back for guest appearances, he is dead, and that is something that's difficult to overcome, as sad as that is! :(
As Joe F. said at the recent Con at Burbank, Weir and Torri aren't getting much support, and that says it all, doesn't it? Despite the attempts of one or two motivated and dedicated fans, who, bless them, are trying to motivate people to get off their backsides and do something positive, rather than attacking everyone else, the apathy says a lot, doesn't it? Bottom line? Most don't care whether Weir appears or not.
Um, your remark of "Many are glad to see the back of Weir, and love Carter and Keller" is a generalization that you can can't really substantiate, unless you poll a LOT of viewers of the show, and most people who watch SG (or other tv shows) don't even bother with boards/lists. They watch the show for entertainment. You can spin the numbers (opinions) of fans by which group or thread you read. Some threads will think carter and keller is like the Second Coming, while others will just go 'blech' in another thread. Until you check out virtually every Stargate board, you can't say most don't care about Weir. And alas, polls such as the ones on GW don't count because a person can sit there voting all day long. ;)
Were you at the con to report this info, or just reading fan reports and making assumptions?
And as for a question, Joe, is there an estimated start date for season five to begin shooting? Thanx.
Martin Gero gave an interview where he said Teyla's baby will not be born this Season Four.
http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2007/11/22/
Exactly how long is this boring baby storyline going to be on screen in Season Five?
Paula said...
I wonder, however, if you would also try putting potato chips on your sandwiches? Crunch and fat all in one lovely stack!
In England we call them crisp butties, my one problem with cucumber, my one problem with cucumber is that it repeats! Although I was told removing the skin from the cucumber should stop it.
Post a Comment